Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit equivocator Corbyn isn’t doing too badly with Remainers

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit equivocator Corbyn isn’t doing too badly with Remainers but he’s doing appallingly with leavers

I am really glad that YouGov has returned to doing favorability ratings because I believe that this is the best measure of how leaders, in particular, are being viewed. I can also take some ownership for the format because these were first initiated by the firm following suggestions from me a couple of years ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The essential uniting feature of Conservative voters is a hatred of Jeremy Corbyn.

What would happen if he left office?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT

Polite question - how would you replace the high skill high paid jobs at Airbus.

Not one Brexiteer had offered an explanation as there is not one

You're assuming that Airbus will (A) go and (B) remain otherwise. Neither assumption is safe.

What I would do is two-fold:

Slash corporation tax to encourage companies to invest in the UK.
    Abolish Employers NI to encourage companies to pay staff well (and to base well paid jobs in the UK).

Companies get tax relief on most expenditure but get taxed on wages instead.

Incidentally slashing corporation tax if a satisfactory deal with the EU can't be reached as Plan B serves the dual-purpose of both helping us compete for business on a global stage and secondarily undermining Ireland who have been the stubborn spanner in the works in the negotiations. With our corporation tax below Irelands watch and see the jobs relocate here.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,433
    Are people still pissed at Sir Vince over university fees?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294

FPT

Polite question - how would you replace the high skill high paid jobs at Airbus.

You're assuming that Airbus will (A) go and (B) remain otherwise. Neither assumption is safe.

Abolish Employers NI to encourage companies to pay staff well (and to base well paid jobs in the UK).

Incidentally slashing corporation tax if a satisfactory deal with the EU can't be reached as Plan B serves the dual-purpose of both helping us compete for business on a global stage and secondarily undermining Ireland who have been the stubborn spanner in the works in the negotiations. With our corporation tax below Irelands watch and see the jobs relocate here.
    I could see some sense in that but do not think any COE would get it passed the HOC in this economic climate
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    I think that the general perception of Corbyn is correct, that he's very mildly anti-Brexit. That makes Remainers feel he's the lesser evil than May, but Leavers normally feel the opposite. How much this matters to Remainders and Leavers is however not explored by this poll.

May's problem is that Leavers are starting to feel she's just as bad, without other redeeming features. 44% unfavourable among your own supporters is pretty grim.
  • Options

The essential uniting feature of Conservative voters is a hatred of Jeremy Corbyn.

An awful lot of Tories would switch or stay at home.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    FPT
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Bloody hell. Drunk or unwell? [edit: from 58 seconds in: pissed as a newt]

As a sufferer of sciatica I can spot a fellow sufferer of sciatica a mile away.
    Well, I do understand that the 'comical stagger' is a common symptom.
    It is walking like a crab/doing the limbo that amuses so many people, the biggest problem is getting up and also this desire to lay down.

Thank God for cocodomal and gabapentin 300.

Although I'm told they shouldn't be taken with alcohol.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2018

It would depend on who replaced him and what the Labour Party was trying to do.

If Labour returned to being at least nominally economically sane, with a leader who seemed keen to govern reasonably sensibly, and who was making serious attempts to position the party as a government in waiting, there would be a Labour landslide at the next GE.

Big 'if', though. I can't see anything like the massive Blair/Mandelson effort of the 1990s to regain credibility coming from the Labour Party of today.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

They'd hate any realistic successor.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,762

[Younger viewers may need reminding that there was a period when British politics didn't involve existential issues and people screaming.]
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841

Whereas the uniting feature of Conservative MP's is hated of each other.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

[Younger viewers may need reminding that there was a period when British politics didn't involve existential issues and people screaming.]
    +1
  • Options
    All the left need to watch Sky news just now

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

FPT

I could see some sense in that but do not think any COE would get it passed the HOC in this economic climate
    If we do leave the EU with no deal, those proposals are exactly what a Conservative chancellor would have in the Budget in November - significant reductions in Corporation Tax, Employer NI and Business Rates. We would want to show the world (and especially the EU) that Britain is open for business.

We would also no longer be bound by a considerable amount of EU regulation, so there would be scope in limited circumstances for state aid, for example to assist with logistics and cash flow for stock building if required.

On the other side of no deal would be additional tax revenues from the Googles and Facebooks, whom we could force onshore for VAT and Corp Tax purposes.
  • Options
    Juncker seems to have had a few celebration tipples
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Theresa - Lady in red tonight and a bit daring
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928

Depends who his replacement is
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Trump is late, I guess?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Theresa's thinking: "Oh god. Here we go..." :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Trump will be loving this
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited July 2018

FPT
    As a sufferer of sciatica I can spot a fellow sufferer of sciatica a mile away.

I thought good Muslims didn't get what you appear to be calling 'sciatica.'

This is one of the many reasons why David Cameron was completely correct to say Juncker was totally unfit to hold high office (that, his interesting tax history and his removal from office after the security services were behaving slightly strangely). Since then if anything he's got worse.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Pass the sick bag Agnes......

• Options
    Remember this will be going live throughout the US
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If his replacement is Clive Lewis or Yvette Cooper the country will celebrate.

If it is Emily Thornberry or John Macdonnell the Tories will celebrate.

If it is Laura Pidcock or Cat Smith the Liberal Democrats will celebrate.

If it is Diane Abbott the Official Monster Raving Loony Party will disband.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Pass the sick bag Agnes......

Too much for you Roger

Bit more classy than a childish balloon
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Bet he’s miffed that he didn’t arrive in a state coach.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Sandpit said:

On the other side of no deal would be additional tax revenues from the Googles and Facebooks, whom we could force onshore for VAT and Corp Tax purposes.

How can we force them to move taxable profit to the UK?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Bet he’s miffed that he didn’t arrive in a state coach.
    There was no shower to go with it...
  • Options
    Let's be honest, THIS is what Trump came to the UK for
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    Even Jon Snow’s going mushy “nobody does this like the British” eh? Macron, military parade, Champs Elysee?

The weather has certainly cooperated.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Let's be honest, THIS is what Trump came to the UK for

Just beautiful especially amazing grace
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Personally I do not see Mrs Balls as an electoral asset to Labour Party in a leadership role. Her rabbit in the headlights look is a touch disconcerting.
  • Options
    I like Melania. :D
  • Options
    BBC referring to Macron saying the British just knocked it out of the park
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

FPT

Lets not forget that slashing Corporation Tax has already been policy for years now. It won't take that much more to get it to below Irish levels.

In a Plan B scenario where this is how we deal with the fallout for No Deal then I don't think the HOC would vote it down.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

How can we force them to move taxable profit to the UK?
    I meant Employer NI. One interesting point might be about how we could regulate brand IP transfers abroad. This is something that is going to have to be dealt with internationally at some point, we should be at the vanguard of bringing it up at the WTO as we could benefit to the tune of billions a year.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Personally I do not see Mrs Balls as an electoral asset to Labour Party in a leadership role. Her rabbit in the headlights look is a touch disconcerting.
    She doesn't need to be an electoral asset. She just needs to be less crap than May and less crazy than Corbyn. She fulfills both those criteria.

Edit - and how far have matters dipped that I am desperate for the return of Snowflake, who I find rude and patronising?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670

BBC referring to Macron saying the British just knocked it out of the park

I think you misheard - a reporter said he thought Macron might think “the British knocked it out of the park” - though I doubt it myself.
  • Options

FPT

Lets not forget that slashing Corporation Tax has already been policy for years now. It won't take that much more to get it to below Irish levels.

In a Plan B scenario where this is how we deal with the fallout for No Deal then I don't think the HOC would vote it down.
    No Conservative would vote down a Budget of tax cuts. Even the Anna Soubrys of this world are still in favour of lower taxes.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    GIN1138 said:

Especially that leather flying jacket, stiletto look, tres chic.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Is it because some people still think Labour are in favour of remaining, or assume Labour would pursue a softer Brexit? (which is amusing considering the condemnation of May's plan as being 'softest brexit')

The BBC reality check on the news site seems pretty downbeat about the whole thing - essentially saying that leavers hate the plans, and the EU have already rejected most of it in principle and will want a lot lot more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44807561
  • Options
    Did anyone see Donald try to hold Theresa May's hand going up the steps and she VERY quickly pulled her hand away? :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Did anyone see Donald try to hold Theresa May's hand going up the steps and she VERY quickly pulled her hand away? :D

Yes - he does not like stairs
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Too late - the live updates from the BBC say they held hands.

At the steps, the two hold hands, in an echo of the hand-holding at the White House last year.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Too late - the live updates from the BBC say they held hands.

At the steps, the two hold hands, in an echo of the hand-holding at the White House last year.
    At least he grabbed her by the hand.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

GIN1138 said:

Is he a dalek ?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Is he a dalek ?
    https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1017485301562990592
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited July 2018
    GIN1138 said:

I noticed that. I don't think he would hold Merkel's / Macron's hand no matter how much he dislikes steps!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Is he a dalek ?
    Was chucked out of the daleks, he was too much even for them.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Is he a dalek ?
    Nah. 'Lock her up' just doesn't have the same ring as 'EXTERMINATE!'
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    For the soft fruit fans today's Tesco Strawberry score is a seven:

Aberdeenshire
    Angus
    Perthshire
    Fife
    Lancashire
    Cambridgeshire
    Kent
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

She doesn't need to be an electoral asset. She just needs to be less crap than May and less crazy than Corbyn. She fulfills both those criteria.

Edit - and how far have matters dipped that I am desperate for the return of Snowflake, who I find rude and patronising?
    She has no chance of winning with the current Labour membership.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Is he a dalek ?
    https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1017485301562990592
    Not the most convincing parody. The Dalek's just too handsome to be mistaken for the orang-utan.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

She has no chance of winning with the current Labour membership.
    So unless the PLP stitch up the nomination we should expect wild celebrations from Sir Vince?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

One thing that is frequently overlooked in the political argy-bargy is that Melania Trump genuinely is a stunningly beautiful and graceful woman who carries herself very well. I can't remember a Presidential consort being that poised.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

One thing that is frequently overlooked in the political argy-bargy is that Melania Trump genuinely is a stunningly beautiful and graceful woman who carries herself very well. I can't remember a Presidential consort being that poised.
    She looks so sad.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

She looks so sad.
    Wistful, perhaps.
  • Options
    And we have our first drops of rain in weeks
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,002
    What looks like a drink Juncker has to be helped down the steps after the NATO summit as Trump, May, Tsipras and Rutte look on

https://mobile.twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1017453353767505920
  • Options

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.
    Mr May is looking stunning tonight, evoking the classic flair of Dennis Thatcher.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've just been reading the Survation Scotland poll and, in my view, the question on Referendum timing is incredibly ambiguous.

The question, reasonably clearly, asks whether in the autumn Nicola Sturgeon should announce that there will be a Referendum at a later point in time. However the answer wordings implies that the referendum itself would be this Autumn.

The question is:
    The First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has said she will make a decision this autumn on whether to call a second independence referendum in the wake of Brexit.
    Which of the following is closest to your view?

The Answers are
    Nicola Sturgeon should call a second independence referendum this autumn.
    Nicola Sturgeon should not call a second independence referendum at all.
    Nicola Sturgeon should call a second independence referendum, but not as soon as this autumn.

What does the great and good of PB think the question was intending to ask?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

She looks so sad.
    13 years of being married to Trump must be pretty painful. That's as long as Ivana managed (separated end of 1990).
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Alistair said:

I've just been reading the Survation Scotland poll and, in my view, the question on Referendum timing is incredibly ambiguous.

The question, reasonably clearly, asks whether in the autumn Nicola Sturgeon should announce that there will be a Referendum at a later point in time. However the answer wordings implies that the referendum itself would be this Autumn.

The question is:
    The First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has said she will make a decision this autumn on whether to call a second independence referendum in the wake of Brexit.

The Answers are
    Nicola Sturgeon should call a second independence referendum, but not as soon as this autumn.

It says 'call...this autumn' not 'call for...this autumn.' So I think it's asking if she should announce it in the autumn to be held in May.

I agree it isn't well worded.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

She looks so sad.
    13 years of being married to Trump must be pretty painful. That's as long as Ivana managed (separated end of 1990).
    Its said that every 15 years, Trump dumps his wife for a 30 year old woman. Must be nearly about time again...
  • Options
    May's favourability now net negative with Leavers and Remainers as is Corbyn.

In fact only Cable has a net positive rating with Remainers bit he too is net negative with Leavers.

Scope for LD pressure on Labour Renain voters and UKIP pressure on Tory Leave voters?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

She looks so sad.
    Its said that every 15 years, Trump dumps his wife for a 30 year old woman. Must be nearly about time again...
    He treats his wives like loose change - one of forty for two twenties.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The question is:

The Answers are

It isn't clear, I can understand why some people would read it as 'announcing a referendum this autumn' would mean the actual referendum would take place this autumn whilst others would take it to mean she'd announce the plans for a referendum at a not specified date this autumn.
  • Options

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.
    I meant US Presidential. If we're widening the field to the whole world, that'd be different.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Melania is the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie Kennedy, though at least JFK had classical good looks and did not look like he was on his fifth burger of the day unlike The Donald. I think we can probably say Melania really married Donald's bank account
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.
    I meant US Presidential. If we're widening the field to the whole world, that'd be different.
    I always found Barbara Bush very graceful and poised.

But I reckon on that front Jackie Kennedy wins.
  • Options
    Wondering if Naboo did this for Palpatine after he became Emperor.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Jonathan said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.
    Mr May is looking stunning tonight, evoking the classic flair of Dennis Thatcher.
    Mr May reminds me of Arthur Askey... And Penfold! :D
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.

Dennis Thatcher won. Such panache.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Did May hand Trump a glowing orb?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Did May hand Trump a glowing orb?
    No, that was the Saudis.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Melania is the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie Kennedy, though at least JFK had classical good looks and did not look like he was on his fifth burger of the day unlike The Donald. I think we can probably say Melania really married Donald's bank account
    Ah, it could be love, y'never know. People are weird.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Trump is the Paul Daniels of US politics.
  • Options

Whereabouts in North Wales are you
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Llandudno
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thick clouds are gathering over Birmingham (my house looks South). However, no other sign of rain in Cannock yet.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Pulpstar said:

Llandudno
    Heavy rain just over the border in Chester too :D
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Llandudno
    I find this site extremely useful. Turn animation on:
    https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Leave voters are just p*ssed off with everyone and everything. Who knew?
  • Options
    Regretfully this means no more general election re-runs

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1017400097632485377
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Or it might just persuade them to put them on youtube and leave them there.

(PS autocorrect has let you down on 'regrettably.')
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited July 2018

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Llandudno
    It's a fantastic site. If that's showing rain heading your way, believe it.
  • Options

I hope they don't can the prorogation shows... although I might be the only viewer. :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Conservatives don’t hate.

We follow Edith Cavell’s wise words: patriotism is not enough - I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

It could be Melania would love an overweight 72 year old if he was a retired mechanic from Ohio rather than a billionaire from New York I suppose. However the odds are not high
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

She looks so sad.
    Ivanka is 36.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Llandudno
    Seems to have stopped now
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Llandudno
    Dark over Birmingham, even accounting for dusk, dark clouds over my hotel, but no rain yet, and no thunder audible - yet!
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

Carla Bruni.

Nancy Reagan was also very chic and graceful for an older lady, after the Kennedys I would say the Reagans were the most glamerous White House couple, with the Obamas third
  • Options
    Seems a very low price for such a rich country
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

You have obviously forgotten The Donald literally boasted of the size of his gentleman's sausage in one of the primaries. And that he is charismatic, which is why millions of Americans watched him on The Apprentice, turned up to his rallies and in the end voted for him.
This discussion has been closed.