Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the two leaders prepare for lunch Betfair punters give Trum

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the two leaders prepare for lunch Betfair punters give Trump a better chance of re-election than TMay has of surviving 2018

Data and charts from Betda.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Zing!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Only 6.1% from his vote share. Spooky!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited July 2018
    The thing about Trump is he is like Marmite, his conservative base love him and the liberal left loathe him. If he is up against a left liberal like Harris or Warren or Sanders in 2020 it would come down to who can get more of their base out as to who wins.

May's problem is she is the British Hillary, she fails to enthuse her base and few Tory voters are passionately voting for her unlike Labour voters who are passionate Corbyn voters. Tories will vote for May to keep out Corbyn much as Hillary voters voted to keep out Trump and look how that turned out for Hillary in the end.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Scott_P said:
    Ironically Downing Street is now recommending MPs get a taxi to Chequers, which makes a change from last weekend. They also got the right minicab firm this time too…

https://order-order.com/2018/07/13/theresa-mays-last-minute-invitation-mps-tea-chequers-today/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    He'd rather deal with a man e.g. Boris, so not much chance of him throwing her a lifejacket now.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Was on May to stay until after Brexit day, but have now cashed out at a small profit. It's a weight off my mind.

In case no-one got here before me this from Guido is both telling and quite hilarious:

https://order-order.com/2018/07/13/theresa-mays-last-minute-invitation-mps-tea-chequers-today/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Mike, this isn't what this says at all

All according to Betfair...

Trump has a 40% probability of re-election in 2020

May has a 38% probability of bing deposed in 2018, therefore a 62% chance of seeing out the year.

62% > 40%, therefore May's chances of surviving 2018 are superior to the Don's re-election chances.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Pulpstar said:

May has a 38% probability of bing deposed in 2018, therefore a 62% chance of seeing out the year.

62% > 40%, therefore May's chances of surviving 2018 are superior to the Don's re-election chances.

Ouch. And correct.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The thing about Trump is he is like Marmite, his conservative base love him and the liberal left loathe him. If he is up against a left liberal like Warren or Sanders in 2020 it would cone down to who can get more of their base out as to who wins.

May's problem is she is the British Hillary, she fails to enthuse her base and few Tory voters are passionately voting for her, they will vote for her to keep out Corbyn much as Hillary voters voted to keep out Trump and look how that turned out for Hillary in the end

I think the May -> Hiliary analogy isn't bad. Also, like Hiliary not only does she fail to entuhuse people, she seems to have a bit of a nasty streak / surrounded herself with some e.g. people's dealings with Timothy and Hill, taxi nonsense, etc
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited July 2018
    Speaking of unconvincingly-coiffed racist buffoons...

https://twitter.com/FactCheck/status/1017724216010035200
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The thing about Trump is he is like Marmite, his conservative base love him and the liberal left loathe him. If he is up against a left liberal like Warren or Sanders in 2020 it would cone down to who can get more of their base out as to who wins.

May's problem is she is the British Hillary, she fails to enthuse her base and few Tory voters are passionately voting for her, they will vote for her to keep out Corbyn much as Hillary voters voted to keep out Trump and look how that turned out for Hillary in the end

I think the May -> Hiliary analogy isn't bad. Also, like Hiliary not only does she fail to entuhuse people, she seems to have a bit of a nasty streak / surrounded herself with some e.g. people's dealings with Timothy and Hill, taxi nonsense, etc
    Nah, large swathes of America, and American women in particular, hated Hillary. May simply doesn't draw that level of vilification.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

You'd have thought fact checkers would be able to work these sort of things out themselves?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,241
    edited July 2018
    RobD said:

You'd have thought fact checkers would be able to work these sort of things out themselves?
    They know what it is, the flag of apartheid era South Africa, they just want confirmation (and an explanation) from Mickey Fab.

It hasn't been a good 24 hours for Mickey Fab.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

A poundshop BoZo
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Was on May to stay until after Brexit day, but have now cashed out at a small profit. It's a weight off my mind.

In case no-one got here before me this from Guido is both telling and quite hilarious:

Yes - I just saw that

Very telling
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    What is it with the Tories and floppy haired aryan nazis?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

RobD said:

They know what it is, the flag of apartheid era South Africa, they just want confirmation (and an explanation) from Mickey Fab.

I've always thought he's pretty odd.
  • Options

At least he hasn't placed a gollywog underneath it.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Yes. You can say that Betfair expects Trump to still be President when Theresa May ceases to be PM, as the combined probability of May exiting in 2021 or later is 18%.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303
    FPT...I think the balloon is rather good. What would people prefer - an effigy as there was with George W Bush? It could be seen in the long history of British mockery non-violent protest.

Maybe this ?
    http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/karneval-rosemontagszuege-in-koeln-duesseldorf-und-mainz-fotostrecke-158425-5.html
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Thank you for those who pointed this out. I have corrected the headline on the post
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,434
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    He'd rather deal with a man e.g. Boris, so not much chance of him throwing her a lifejacket now.
    I seem to remember some Brexiteers being incensed when Obama gave an opinion on Brexit. What has changed here hmm?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    Scott_P said:
    Theresa's in "serious trouble" whatever Donald says...
  • Options
    40% is not about equal to 62% either. Theresa May is much more likely to survive 2018 than Trump is to be re-elected, according to Betfair.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Thank you for those who pointed this out. I have corrected the headline on the post

Erm.

"As the two leaders prepare for lunch Betfair punters give Trump about an equal chance of re-election (40%) than TMay has of surviving 2018 (62%)"
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL.

It's all irrelevant. There can be no trade deal unless we fully leave the customs union. Secondly as Robert pointed out on the last thread the US would demand full agriculture access. No way in this world that the Tories would accept that. I imagine this is just one Brexiteer idiot.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,241
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Theresa's in "serious trouble" whatever Donald says...
    The Country is in serious trouble.

Replace TM but nothing will change. In the end the HOC has to sort this out
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

At least he hasn't placed a gollywog underneath it.
    He's obviously in support of a Dutch lead EU.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    Is there really a single Tory who thinks getting rid of the PM on the back of advice from a US President as unpopular as Trump is going to play well?
  • Options

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL.

It's all irrelevant. There can be no trade deal unless we fully leave the customs union. Secondly as Robert pointed out on the last thread the US would demand full agriculture access. No way in this world that the Tories would accept that. I imagine this is just one Brexiteer idiot.
    Yes. One wonders why Mrs May is spending all this time and money when all she is negotiating is which way up the trade pineapple will be inserted.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL.

The kind of trade deal that Trump would offer (requiring us to take steps to reduce our trade surplus, cutting food safety and animal welfare standards, and submitting to the jurisdiction of the US courts) is so bad that no sane person would sign up to it.
  • Options

Is there really a single Tory who thinks getting rid of the PM on the back of advice from a US President as unpopular as Trump is going to play well?

Not this one and it is pointless
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303
    By way of contrast to our narcissist visitor:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44819416
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL.

The kind of trade deal that Trump would offer (requiring us to take steps to reduce our trade surplus, cutting food safety and animal welfare standards, and submitting to the jurisdiction of the US courts) is so bad that no sane person would sign up to it.
    A trade deal would probably be complete after Trump is out of office. Isn't the real problem that what he said was true - and doesn't apply only to the USA.. he's a bit of a red herring here.
  • Options

I'm guessing weekend opinion polls will be very enlightening...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The Trump visit is certainly entertaining. Dunno why anyone takes anything he says seriously, though.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,193
    What a day. Feel quite embarrassed to be a Brit today but then again probably my fault for having thought the special relationship meant anything for the past 10 years.

And what is this I see? Leavers praising a foreign head of state for speaking out and criticising the British Prime Minister.

And they have the nerve to call others traitors.
  • Options

The Trump visit is certainly entertaining. Dunno why anyone takes anything he says seriously, though.

Just said on the news that Trump's visit is going a lot worse than the government thought it would...

Really???? :D
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    I seem to remember some Brexiteers being incensed when Obama gave an opinion on Brexit. What has changed here hmm?
    One was an intervention in a poll, the other is mid-term policy comment. I'm happily ignoring both.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

What a day. Feel quite embarrassed to be a Brit today but then again probably my fault for having thought the special relationship meant anything for the past 10 years.

And what is this I see? Leavers praising a foreign head of state for speaking out and criticising the British Prime Minister.

No need to feel embarrassed. If you were an American, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,973
    edited July 2018

MF has amazingly strange hair for a twat in his late 60s. He looks like Peter Noone.
  • Options
    Who are the 'most determined Brexiteers/Anti-May' amongst the ERG

We can safely put Andrew Bridgen at #1 I think. Andrea Jenkyns at #2 ?

Then we need 4 more.

The Gov't HAS to adopt the Irish border amendment I think in particular.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No need to feel embarrassed. If you were an American, on the other hand...
    They're just wankers. We on the other hand are colonised by wankers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Then we need 4 more.

Maria Caulfield
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Nah, large swathes of America, and American women in particular, hated Hillary. May simply doesn't draw that level of vilification.
    Give it time....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just said on the news that Trump's visit is going a lot worse than the government thought it would...

BBC just reporting that Trumps commnts have damaged TM but ironically have damaged him more as lots of MP's from across the political divide have come out in support for TM

No idea how this ends up
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    GIN1138 said:

BBC just reporting that Trumps comments have damaged TM but ironically have damaged him more as lots of MP's from across the political divide have come out in support for TM

No idea how this ends up
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The summer recess cannot come soon enough. We need a bit of rain and everyone needs to cool down.

• Options
    maaarsh said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    One was an intervention in a poll, the other is mid-term policy comment. I'm happily ignoring both.
    Dissing the PM and bigging up Boris apparently nothing to worry about, much like Russian interference.
    But remove a bust of Churchill and it's HELL ON.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

BBC just reporting that Trumps comments have damaged TM but ironically have damaged him more as lots of MP's from across the political divide have come out in support for TM

No idea how this ends up
    The Brexiteers will see Trumps comments as supporting their view of Chequers. The Remainers and Trump Haters will see it as an intrusion and ignore his point.

We are so polarised right now. I wonder what 1939/40 would have been like if we'd had the internet then?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,973
    Jonathan said:

The summer recess cannot come soon enough. We need a bit of rain and everyone needs to cool down.

It's the end times and our capacity to be shocked has been scoured from us by repeated outrages. If I got up tomorrow and read that Leadsome had decided to do a porno, we were at war with Denmark and that Tom Watson had a single out I think I would just shrug.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

BBC just reporting that Trumps commnts have damaged TM but ironically have damaged him more as lots of MP's from across the political divide have come out in support for TM

No idea how this ends up
    Useless for May if most of those MPs are Labour or LD or SNP, only helpful if they are Tories in a no confidence vote
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Then we need 4 more.

Would any of Labour's Brexit rebels vote for the trade bill?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Then we need 4 more.

Steve Baker.

Maybe David Davis & JRM.
  • Options

Given the Tories are behind Labour in polls for the first time in months and UKIP polling their highest voteshare for a year and a half don't think staying on the current course is helping the Tories vote much either
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

It's the end times and our capacity to be shocked has been scoured from us by repeated outrages. If I got up tomorrow and read that Leadsome had decided to do a porno, we were at war with Denmark and that Tom Watson had a single out I think I would just shrug.
    MM. Not sure how I would rank those 3, either in probability or personal preference order.
  • Options

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

Give it time....
    She is doing her best to reach that level.
  • Options
    Fabricant also has a flag of the Soviet Union in his office, does that make him a Communist? No just reflects he visited apartheid South Africa and Communist Russia and keeps flags of nations he has visited

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1017743964710072321
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Well that was worth all the fuss....

Balloon of ‘baby’ Trump that sparked row taken down after just TWO hours

Social media seem to be disappointed with its size...unlike the real Trump, who told us in no uncertain terms he has no problem in the size department.
  • Options

I don't think anyone needs Trump to tell them how piss poor May is tbh
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112

Conversely, if it is so blindingly obvious that she should be replaced that even Donald Trump can see it....

For the record I think she should be there until the deal is done, hopefully in October, and then the Tories should get rid. The kind of incompetence shown at both the last election and since in deferring essential decisions to the detriment of the national interest really needs to be penalised.

There is a risk that the deal will not be done until 2019 which makes the 2018 bet unattractive. Also my view may well be a minority one. But the clock is ticking. A lot of Tories and potential Tory voters will be appalled if they are asked to vote for May to keep out Corbyn once again. I probably would because of the SNP angle in Scotland but I sure wouldn't feel good about it.
  • Options
    When's the Donald/Tessa presser?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scheduled to start at 13:45.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

GIN1138 said:

Scheduled to start at 13:45.
    Any minute then... :D
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,334
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL.

A trade deal would probably be complete after Trump is out of office. Isn't the real problem that what he said was true - and doesn't apply only to the USA.. he's a bit of a red herring here.
    Yes and no, an argument remainers have been making since Brexit, but especially since Trump's election is that the trade-offs for these lovely new trade deals will be worse than the ones we make to be a member of the EU - or at the very least will be very unpopular. The problem is also congress - who will have to ratify a deal and who, in the Senate at least are lopsidedly dominated by agribusiness interests. There's a specific problem with Trump though and that the direction he's set America on in that he's likely made it politically impossible for any U.S. leader in the coming decade to sign a deal which isn't hugely rigged in America's favour. Even a Democrat looking to oust Trump isn't going to run as a great defender of global trade - they'll make populist noises on it.

Second, it's just so astonishing for a the leader of an ally to break protocol in this way and side with a PM's political enemies at such a sensitive time - and in a way that could almost be specifically designed to cause her maximum trouble.

Imagine if when Gordon Brown was desperately trying to put together a global banking deal, Obama had turned up, trashed it in the crassest terms, said he thought David Miliband would make a good PM and threw a few insulting asides in about the country for good measure.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone really care's about him insulting Theresa May but if he does/says anything inappropriate with HMQ we'll have to kick him out the country... ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I don't think anyone really care's about him insulting Theresa May but if he does/says anything inappropriate with HMQ we'll have to kick him out the country... ;)

I doubt Queenie would take it...whack with the old handbag I reckon.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Then we need 4 more.

Would any of Labour's Brexit rebels vote for the trade bill?
    I think so.

I'm not quite sure how Brexiteers voting against the Trade Bill helps to achieve Brexit..
  • Options
    £20k doesn't get you much balloon does it...

https://order-order.com/2018/07/13/trump-balloon-flying-london-not/
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Judging by the reaction very many care about him insulting TM
  • Options
    Here they come.
  • Options
    I have a feeling the taxpayer is going to be hit in the pocket.
  • Options
    Now starting
  • Options
    Oh God, they are holding hands again.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112
    edited July 2018

His record in implementing his campaign promises is way better than most. This is not always a good thing of course.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

Not again.

"Leadsome 3 - Wet and Windy" was rubbish, I've experienced all the Danish violence I need at the Westfield Lego store and Tom Watson rapping Unchained Melody is something I don't want to hear twice.
  • Options
    She has her calm speaking voice on. Not broken yet. I suppose that will be for the questions.
  • Options
    Donald and me
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    hello PB, first time I have commented since the days of "Tim", if anyone remembers him! I had a different moniker then, but enjoyed being the scourge of headbangers on the right and left. HYUFD and his deranged rantings at anyone without his "pure" world view have brought me back out of retirement!
  • Options
    Did TM just announce an agreed trade deal talks.

See what Trump says
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    From the Guardian: "Theresa May and Donald Trump are coming to the press conference. There is some hand-holding, because there are steps; Trump has a phobia of steps."

Insert obvious Dalek joke here.
  • Options

From the Guardian: "Theresa May and Donald Trump are coming to the press conference. There is some hand-holding, because there are steps; Trump has a phobia of steps."

Insert obvious Dalek joke here.

Is there anything Trump doesn't have a phobia of?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

hello PB, first time I have commented since the days of "Tim", if anyone remembers him! I had a different moniker then, but enjoyed being the scourge of headbangers on the right and left. HYUFD and his deranged rantings at anyone without his "pure" world view have brought me back out of retirement!

If stating the obvious point that if you claim to be a Tory loyalist and voted for Blair or if you claim to be a Labour loyalist but voted for Cameron is rather contradictory makes me 'a deranged ranter' then fine, I welcome the label!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    Trump is a friend of hard Brexit; says it all!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Donald on script is just so false. Lets have the "real" Donald back with his stand up comedian act.
  • Options
    He heard about Chequers in history class?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,127
    Remember Trump isn't talking to you in Great Britain.
    He's talking to his supporters in Great America.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Donald on script is just so false. Lets have the "real" Donald back with his stand up comedian act.

Wait for the questions :p
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If stating the obvious point that if you claim to be a Tory loyalist and voted for Blair or if you claim to be a Labour loyalist but voted for Cameron makes me 'a deranged ranter' then fine
    No it is not but in my case it is not only unfair but unnecessary
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    The real question that needs to asked is "Who is brave enough to play golf with him?"
This discussion has been closed.