Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Republican voters remain solidly behind Trump in the first pos

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Republican voters remain solidly behind Trump in the first post-Helsinki polls

Anybody expecting that President Trump’s widely criticised approach at the Helsinki summit with Putin would hurt him amongst his base is going to be disappointed. The first polls are now out and they show the same picture – very solid support from Republican Party voters for the Presidents handling of Russian leader, Putin

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Looks that way....
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    But Mueller is preparing the handcuffs for 45...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    edited July 2018
    Second - like the next EU ref

Edit - damn! Even I wouldn't argue for a 3rd 4th EU ref :blush:
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    RobD said:

First?

Damn! Beaten by my good-looking friend yet again!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

It's worth pointing out another referendum would be the third. 1975, 2016, 2019(?).

But a fourth would be getting silly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's worth pointing out another referendum would be the third. 1975, 2016, 2019(?).

Never underestimate the determination of Remainers to thwart democracy by, er, democray!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Never underestimate the determination of Remainers to thwart democracy by, er, democray!
    If Andrew Mitchell were a Leaver he could squeal about plebs being thwarted by multiple plebiscites.
  • Options
    So why hasn't she been screaming this from the rooftops before???

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2018

ydoethur said:

Let's have referendums on any mad old thing. If Democracy is the only thing that counts, then let's vote for some really genuinely good stuff. Not just Brexit, or free owls. I want a spaceship. If Democracy is what counts, we can all have one. Easy. No Problem. Spaceships for all.
  • Options

twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1020034990569066497

Ohhh, he's such a naughty boy! :o
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Being pedantic, we've only had one EU ref - 1975 was an EEC ref :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I would guess she didn't want it to dominate the meeting between Barnier and Raab.

She is, in any case, only setting out the actual position as agreed by both sides - there will be no hard border in the island. They just disagree about what that means.

Gibraltar will undoubtedly be watching closely too.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848

She has said this before. Why is this news (before or after 10pm)?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ah, but apparently we were told we were voting for the EU at some unsepcified future date.

(Well, I say 'we' - I mean Britain, not me personally.)
  • Options
    I have read it 3 times, and I really have no idea what she is waffling about. She is either forcing NI to remain in the EU which is effectively disenfranchising the DUP and committing to the break up of NI from the UK or she is rescinding A50. Either way is political suicide.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Good.

She should respond to Leo's provocations of the last few days by announcing the hiring of 1000 customs officers for the NI border.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    OchEye said:

I have read it 3 times, and I really have no idea what she is waffling about. She is either forcing NI to remain in the EU which is effectively disenfranchising the DUP and committing to the break up of NI from the UK or she is rescinding A50. Either way is political suicide.
    Is the simplest answer not that she has finally worked out that the backstop agreement was a serious mistake? Well, duh. Most of us have been saying that for months.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

There are three possibilities:

1) she hasn't kicked up a fuss because she intended to fail to impose the border (which she can, under the old CTA, without upsetting other arrangements) and thereby effectively keeps Britain in the EU customs union while being in theory free of it;

2) she believed here would be a free trade deal and therefore this wouldn't matter, and is getting nervous that this looks less likely;

3) she doesn't have a fucking clue what she's doing.

For the record I think it's a mixture of 1 and 3.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Trump's base will be behind him regardless. However if the Democrats are to win in November and in 2020 they will need both their own base and independents to back them and the fact 62% of independents disapproved of Trump's handling of Helsinki with SurveyMonkey and 53% said he did a bad job with CBS as well as strong Democratic disapproval of Trump's Helsinki statements will boost them in that regard.

Don't forget either while Trump's base approves of him they are much less enthusiastic about the GOP congressional leadership of Ryan and McConnell both of whom condemned Trump's Helsinki statements so are much less likely to turn out for GOP Congressional candidates in the midterms in November than for Trump when he runs for re election in 2020
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Let's have referendums on any mad old thing. If Democracy is the only thing that counts, then let's vote for some really genuinely good stuff. Not just Brexit, or free owls. I want a spaceship. If Democracy is what counts, we can all have one. Easy. No Problem. Spaceships for all.
    Vote Labour.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

No, she is saying Brexit must apply to the whole UK
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    ydoethur said:

OchEye said:

1) she hasn't kicked up a fuss because she intended to fail to impose the border (which she can, under the old CTA, without upsetting other arrangements) and thereby effectively keeps Britain in the EU customs union while being in theory free of it;

2) she believed here would be a free trade deal and therefore this wouldn't matter, and is getting nervous that this looks less likely;

I think 3) is a given. But I think she gambled on 2) without appreciating what a hold this would give the EU over her in the negotiations.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OchEye said:

Brexit means Brexit.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ah, but apparently we were told we were voting for the EU at some unsepcified future date.

I think you'll find our elected representatives voted to take that step, that's how it generally works in our parliamentary democracy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OchEye said:

Brexit means Brexit.
    Certainly from the DUP's perspective that applies to NI too
  • Options

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    The ideological - fuck business - right are the current market leaders in fantasy politics.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think you'll find our elected representatives voted to take that step, that's how it generally works in our parliamentary democracy.
    Apparently, the country was told it was voting to stay in an organisation that would develop over time into a political one as well to rival the superpowers the USA and the USSR on either flank.

Does that meet the standard?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OchEye said:

Have to agree, but I tend more to 3 than anything else. It is almost as if she will be wandering up to Buck House soon, to hand in the the Great Seal...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Trump is to Republican members of congress as Theresa May is to Tory MPs. They are happy to let it be known they think their leader is neither use nor ornament, yet are strangely reluctant to move against them.
  • Options
    I am off to bed, anyway. But hopefully in the next few days things will calm down again and we can talk like adults.

It requires Merkel to finally sack Juncker and install someone sober vaguely competent, but it would ease everyone's worries.

Good night, and sweet dreams.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    ydoethur said:

I would guess she didn't want it to dominate the meeting between Barnier and Raab.

She is, in any case, only setting out the actual position as agreed by both sides - there will be no hard border in the island. They just disagree about what that means.

Gibraltar will undoubtedly be watching closely too.
    For Gibraltar (and the military base in Cyprus), it would make sense to follow the example of Büsingen or Campo di Fiore and leave them inside the EU's customs union.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OchEye said:

or

4) she's getting her speeches written by the Moggster!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Apparently, the country was told it was voting to stay in an organisation that would develop over time into a political one as well to rival the superpowers the USA and the USSR on either flank.

I genuinely have no idea what you're trying to say. But regardless, I agree (with hindsight) that it would have been better to have had a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty if that's what you're hinting at.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2018
    I struggle to think of a more influential backbencher than Mogg since 1945.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    DavidL said:

OchEye said:

Is the simplest answer not that she has finally worked out that the backstop agreement was a serious mistake? Well, duh. Most of us have been saying that for months.
    Let's hope...
  • Options
    A no deal Brexit is starting to feel like the build up to WWI. It's not that people want it, but rather more that people aren't willing to compromise to prevent it.
  • Options

This kinda covers it.

twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1020045338097405952
    joyous n civic...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I genuinely have no idea what you're trying to say. But regardless, I agree (with hindsight) that it would have been better to have had a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty if that's what you're hinting at.
    I'm talking about how 1975 the difference between the EEC and the EU was about the stage of development not the direction of travel, and I thought you were referring to the fact the decision to join in 1973 was due to a vote in Parliament.

I don't know where you're getting Lisbon from.

Nos da, a bob bendith.
  • Options

A no deal Brexit is starting to feel like the build up to WWI. It's not that people want it, but rather more that people aren't willing to compromise to prevent it.

Yes. Those people most specifically being the Tory party. Labour remain cynical bystanders.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    The ideological - fuck business - right are the current market leaders in fantasy politics.
    One Tory backbencher having said fuck business doesn't trump the lifetime of fantasy politics the Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Chancellor have mastered.
  • Options
    Re Trump and Russia.

What is it that Donald Trump thinks he (and the US) can get out of Russia?

I really don't understand his motivation, beyond a love of "strong men" dictators. Russia simply isn't going to buy a lot of US product. (Fact for the day: Russia's exports are the same size as Belgium's.) I guess some help in sorting out the Middle East, maybe. But then again, Trump doesn't seem to care about that.

Perhaps getting better access to the Russian energy market for US firms? But that doesn't seem *that* likely.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    One Tory backbencher having said fuck business doesn't trump the lifetime of fantasy politics the Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Chancellor have mastered.
    To be fair, he wasn't a backbencher when he said it. He held one of the three great offices of state.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    Said backbencher was Foreign Secretary at the time and it wasn't a sackable offence.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm talking about how 1975 the difference between the EEC and the EU was about the stage of development not the direction of travel, and I thought you were referring to the fact the decision to join in 1973 was due to a vote in Parliament.

I don't know where you're getting Lisbon from.

Nos da, a bob bendith.
    Nos da, a bob bendith.
    Google translate tells me that's "Give us blessings" is that right?
  • Options
    Because the UK signed up to a UK backstop with a specific guarantee that NI wouldn't be treated differently unless NI wanted to be in accordance with the Good Friday Agreement.

The EU is trying to rip up the GFA by dividing East and West trade against both last December's agreement and the Good Friday Agreement.
  • Options

+1
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anyone know why satirist Godfrey Elfwick has been banned from Twitter?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    RobD said:

This kinda covers it.

twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1020045338097405952
    joyous n civic...
    Yeah.

If only he could civilize himself and take up that traitorous saboteur schtick.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    GOP voters are welcome to stay behind Trump, its the non aligned voters that matter in giving the party a kicking mid term which they may well do.

The lifting of Russian national Maria Butina just as Trump was brown nosing Putin in Helsinki is more significant for the Congressional GOP than many realise.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    Said backbencher was Foreign Secretary at the time and it wasn't a sackable offence.
    Said Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Chancellor are still in their positions.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    Boris wasn't referring to most businesses anyway who are small businesses and much more pro Leave, he was referring to big business which is still anti Brexit on the whole and its endless prophecies of doom about how bad Brexit will be
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OchEye said:

It either it does or it doesn't.There is no half way in being pregnant, you start off being f**ked and after a time a baby arrives which continues to f**k you up for the rest of your life. Welcome to the real world of political life!
  • Options

Yes. Those people most specifically being the Tory party. Labour remain cynical bystanders.
    If Labour wanted to prevent no deal they'd be working with moderate Tories (not Soubry et al) and cooperating to get a deal we could all live with. Preventing no deal is less important than frustrating Tories.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    When I first came across "misanthropy" our English teacher emphasised that although one might not like "humanity" he/she might have good friends. I was young and innocent then. Now I see where he was coming from.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    Boris wasn't referring to most businesses anyway who are small businesses and much more pro Leave, he was referring to big business which is still anti Brexit on the whole and its endless prophecies of doom about how bad Brexit will be
    How do you know?
  • Options

Trump is to Republican members of congress as Theresa May is to Tory MPs. They are happy to let it be known they think their leader is neither use nor ornament, yet are strangely reluctant to move against them.

The difference is Trump has a higher approval rating than the GOP Congress and is more in tune with the GOP base while Boris and Mogg now have a higher approval than May in the latest YouGov and are more in touch with the Tory base
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Well in theory they could compromise by getting behind the government's proposed deal in order to prevent no deal, but then it might really be a bad deal not worthy supporting, and no one truly expects an opposition to do such a thing of course. It's only noteworthy as when they later claim they would have had a better plan it will be untrue (given the infamously praised 'masterly inactivity' on display)

Most definitely. Accidental no deal has been a growing risk for some time. Although it is not quite that nobody wants it, there are people who do, and those people are numerous enough to make things difficult enough for everyone else so as to prevent it. There are still enough there who don't want no deal who could still compromise to achieve it however, so ultimately it is correct that the inability to compromise is the issue.

I struggle to think of a more influential backbencher than Mogg since 1945.

Seems a fair point. Whatever one thinks of him his influence is no joke, in much the way that UKIP were no joke in terms of influence even though they had no MPs, and plenty do seem to wait for his reaction before deciding their own.
    ydoethur said:

But hopefully in the next few days things will calm down again and we can talk like adults.

It requires Merkel to finally sack Juncker and install someone sober vaguely competent, but it would ease everyone's worries.

That's not happening then. We're playing the more dangerous game of brinkmanship, but outside occasional minor whispers the EU seem pretty content to either wait for us to back down, however impossible that may be politically, or take a hit on the basis we get hit worse.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OchEye said:

2), because 3).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

There is no Brexit that commands widespread support, but in reality the choice is one of three:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

3) Whatever Barnier proposes, take it or leave it.

Brexiteers can rearrange cakes and customs as much as they like, but it ain't on offer. They might as well order the Duck ala Orange at the McDonalds drive in.

1) is of course the default, so always a likely outcome.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    FPT:

In response to @Jonathan:

“Tories should watch Yes Minister

Sir Desmond Glazebrook: Just the one. If you're incompetent you have to be honest, and if you're crooked you have to be clever. See, if you're honest, then when you make a pig's breakfast of things the chaps rally round and help you out.”

The rest of the quote is even better:

Humphrey: “So the ideal is a bank that ‘s honest and competent?”

Sir Desmond Glazebrook: “Yes. Let me know if you ever find one, won’t you.”
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    How do you know?
    Boris turned my whole attitude against him when he told Airbus to FO and at the same time my attitude to the ERG
  • Options

Because the UK signed up to a UK backstop with a specific guarantee that NI wouldn't be treated differently unless NI wanted to be in accordance with the Good Friday Agreement.

The EU is trying to rip up the GFA by dividing East and West trade against both last December's agreement and the Good Friday Agreement.
    Admittedly I am a layman, and I accept the UK has always had a bit much of a Cake and eat it approach, but on the NI issue the EU really has seemed more unreasonable to me, and if memory serves it's one thing that even arch remainers like Grieve are able to agree with the government on, which says something.
  • Options

If Labour wanted to prevent no deal they'd be working with moderate Tories (not Soubry et al) and cooperating to get a deal we could all live with. Preventing no deal is less important than frustrating Tories.
    Brexit is a Tory project ; the onus is on the Tories to locate the sources of compromise, both in parliament and in Brussels. Their direction of travel is the opposite one.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT:

Sir Desmond Glazebrook: Just the one. If you're incompetent you have to be honest, and if you're crooked you have to be clever. See, if you're honest, then when you make a pig's breakfast of things the chaps rally round and help you out.”

Everyone should watch it. My favourite program of all time. As a lowly administrator I aim one day to be a less deviously minded and motivated Sir Humphrey (sometimes his heart was in the right place).
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Foxy said:

There is no Brexit that commands widespread support, but in reality the choice is one of three:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Brexiteers can rearrange cakes and customs as much as they like, but it ain't on offer. They might as well order the Duck ala Orange at the McDonalds drive in.

Correct. IMO we will get very, very close to the cliff edge but there's a 50/50 chance that the prospect of going over it will lead to a last minute crisis and withdrawal (perhaps presented as indefinite postponement) of A50,

I think it unlikely we will accept Barnier's deal.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Brexit is a Tory project ; the onus is on the Tories to locate the sources of compromise, both in parliament and in Brussels. Their direction of travel is the opposite one.
    To a degree. They are in government, however thinly, so it is ultimately on them to deliver even though to say Brexit is a Tory project is demonstrably untrue (given all the Lab voters and even some SNP and LD voters who backed some kind of leaving), but May at least is closer to a compromise position officially than many in her own party want. The door is half ajar. But though I'd like some cross party cooperation to avoid a no deal, one cannot realistically expect Labour to kick open the door the rest of the way, especially when after seemingly committing to a position May changed it again.
  • Options

Once again the miscomprehension, the EU don't really give a damn about the UK. It was the UK who voted to leave, it was the UK who over many years had become seriously semi detached from the organisation, and it is now after we decided to leave, we are demanding concessions that they are not willing to give us as it breaks the rules that the others have agreed to, work with and like.
  • Options

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Correct. IMO we will get very, very close to the cliff edge but there's a 50/50 chance that the prospect of going over it will lead to a last minute crisis and withdrawal (perhaps presented as indefinite postponement) of A50,

Apols for re-posting this but it is an interesting viewpoint I had not considered before:
    "...crashing out would not mean hard Brexit, but rather remain in all but name."
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/19/no-deal-brexit-britain-eu-wto-march
  • Options

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

I think when you add in those who want no deal (which for now has significant public support over an apparently crappy deal), that consequences won't be felt by most immediately, how many react to scare tactics (be they true or not), and a general 'f*ck them' attitude when someone demands something, I think it very very probable that if it is a 'take it or leave it' from Barnier MPs might well leave it.

The EU clearly do not think we would. May's government is clearly desperate to avoid being in that position at all. But the EU have been wrong before about what we would do.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

Everyone should watch it. My favourite program of all time. As a lowly administrator I aim one day to be a less deviously minded and motivated Sir Humphrey (sometimes his heart was in the right place).
    One of the many clever things about Yes Minister which made it work was that all of the major characters were likeable, albeit rather self serving.

It does rather speak for another era though. We have gone through the looking glass now.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Good.

She should respond to Leo's provocations of the last few days by announcing the hiring of 1000 customs officers for the NI border.
    Given everyone pretty much in NI has dual citizenship of the U.K. and Ireland there should be no shortage of applicants - they could do the job for both countries on a job share and save Dublin some cash.
  • Options

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Apols for re-posting this but it is an interesting viewpoint I had not considered before:
    "...crashing out would not mean hard Brexit, but rather remain in all but name."
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/19/no-deal-brexit-britain-eu-wto-march
    Hmm.

In reality, everyone knowledgeable about Brexit agrees on what will really happen if there is no deal in March. Nothing will change

...Then why are so many people causing such a fuss about it? It includes many who are knowledgeable about it. And even if we assume JRM types are not, in actual fact, knowledgeable about Brexit (not a difficult proposition), they surely would know enough as to what outcomes would be remain in all but name?
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Once again the miscomprehension, the EU don't really give a damn about the UK. It was the UK who voted to leave, it was the UK who over many years had become seriously semi detached from the organisation, and it is now after we decided to leave, we are demanding concessions that they are not willing to give us as it breaks the rules that the others have agreed to, work with and like.
    In simple terms, it was viable to be a member with many opt outs, but being a non member wanting to opt in is something rather more difficult.
  • Options
    Things are looking better for the Democrats than they were a few weeks ago:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Once again the miscomprehension, the EU don't really give a damn about the UK. It.
    Once again, an opinion which assumes the EU are really really stupid when we should give them more credit. This idea the EU 'don't give a damn' about what will happen a country with over 60 million, a huge economy and all the rest right on their doorstep suggests the EU are a bunch of morons.

Now, that they are not idiots mean they do give a damn about us. What they don't care to do is disadvantage their remaining members to our advantage. Which is not unreasonable, and why they haven't bent from many positions, but is not the same as not giving a damn about the UK - because while we suffer more from a bad future relationship, they still suffer a bit, and they'd surely prefer to suffer not at all, so long as they don't have to give up too much.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

OchEye said:

In simple terms, it was viable to be a member with many opt outs, but being a non member wanting to opt in is something rather more difficult.
    Difficult, but not impossible, at least in theory. Impossible at this stage it would seem, however.
  • Options

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

An extremely odd article, that doesn't offer any basis in actual evidence for its assertions, but seems to reside in Simon Jenkins' confidence of establishment pragmatism always winning the day. It's disconnected from developments in Brussels, just for a start.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

One of the many clever things about Yes Minister which made it work was that all of the major characters were likeable, albeit rather self serving.
    It's why I think it superior to works like The Thick of It or Veep. Most of the time there isn't a sympathetic or likable person in the whole bunch, people are almost inhuman. The satire is more cutting as a result, but I find a lot it unmemorable since it involved cardboard cutouts, not people.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Hmm.

In reality, everyone knowledgeable about Brexit agrees on what will really happen if there is no deal in March. Nothing will change

...Then why are so many people causing such a fuss about it? It includes many who are knowledgeable about it. And even if we assume JRM types are not, in actual fact, knowledgeable about Brexit (not a difficult proposition), they surely would know enough as to what outcomes would be remain in all but name?
    Yeah, fair point. "Everybody agrees that..." is clearly not correct here.

But I think there has to be a chance that as the clock reaches midnight with no deal achieved, some compromises (even if temporary) will be required (e.g. for security, trade, flights)... Then you are quickly into how to prevent cherry-picking and that leads to the default of "let's leave everything unchanged until we can resolve things". Thus I can see how no-deal becomes RIABN.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Hmm.

If you go through life believing Simon Jenkins is wrong about everything, you won't ever stray from the path of truth. He has turned being wrong into performance art.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Good.

Given everyone pretty much in NI has dual citizenship of the U.K. and Ireland there should be no shortage of applicants - they could do the job for both countries on a job share and save Dublin some cash.
    :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    How do you know?
    As the comment was in response to a remark made to him about the fears of big business leaders over Brexit
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    So a lawyer is happy to share information that he knows was provided to him in breach of a confidentiality obligation

Interesting
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Once again this there's one set of rules and can be no cherry picking or variances misapprehension.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Supranational_European_Bodies-en.png
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    OchEye said:

Or she’s rejecting the EU’s wording on the backstop
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    How do you know?
    As the comment was in response to a remark made to him about the fears of big business leaders over Brexit
    Hmmm - IIRC he said 'fuck business' not 'fuck big business'.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Interesting. If Theresa wanted to turn up the pressure towards the eventual goal of a referendum on no-deal, that would be almost the perfect way to cumulatively help that.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Hmm.

Yeah, fair point. "Everybody agrees that..." is clearly not correct here.

But I think there has to be a chance that as the clock reaches midnight with no deal achieved, some compromises (even if temporary) will be required (e.g. for security, trade, flights)... Then you are quickly into how to prevent cherry-picking and that leads to the default of "let's leave everything unchanged until we can resolve things". Thus I can see how no-deal becomes RIABN.
    All the talk of a 'deal' or 'no deal' is a red herring anyway, it would likely take years for a FTA to be agreed with the EU eg it took Canada 7 years, well past next March.

What we really mean is will May be able to agree a transition deal from next March and the Brexit date or not with FTA negotiations for a free trade deal then taking place during that transition period
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

I think when you add in those who want no deal (which for now has significant public support over an apparently crappy deal), that consequences won't be felt by most immediately, how many react to scare tactics (be they true or not), and a general 'f*ck them' attitude when someone demands something, I think it very very probable that if it is a 'take it or leave it' from Barnier MPs might well leave it.

Yes. ERG headbangers are gagging to jump from the cliff and remainers now think their best chance of reversing Brexit altogether is to exclude all other options apart from WTO and staying in. So both groups will oppose any withdrawal deal. And Corbyn will oppose a deal because he thinks that is the best way to achieve a Labour government. This will lead to a major political and economic crisis the outcome of which is hard to predict but a complete volte face on Brexit is quite possible.
  • Options

OchEye said:

Once again this there's one set of rules and can be no cherry picking or variances misapprehension.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Supranational_European_Bodies-en.png
    That's a nice Venn diagram - and tbf makes your point well.

Tells me all things are possible if the EU agree it - trouble is they have zero incentive to agree to our requests. All the cards are in their hand.

• Options
    edited July 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Vote Labour.
    How do you know?
    Hmmm - IIRC he said 'fuck business' not 'fuck big business'.
    It NOT small businesses who have been bemoaning Brexit day in day out since the referendum but big business leaders
  • Options
    edited July 2018

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

1) WTO Brexit

2) Withdrawal of A50

Yes. ERG headbangers are gagging to jump from the cliff and remainers now think their best chance of reversing Brexit altogether is to exclude all other options apart from WTO and staying in. So both groups will oppose any withdrawal deal. And Corbyn will oppose a deal because he thinks that is the best way to achieve a Labour government. This will lead to a major political and economic crisis the outcome of which is hard to predict but a complete volte face on Brexit is quite possible.
    Both the majority of Tories and Corbyn are committed to Brexit and leaving the single market, there will be no volte face unless and until someone like Umunna becomes PM
  • Options
    Newsnight:

Tory minister describes his own government as "rotten".
This discussion has been closed.