Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The places where people would most like to live mostly voted R

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The places where people would most like to live mostly voted Remain

Away from Brexit for moment with some polling on what are seen as Britain’s desirable locations to live.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    First?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2018
    Surprised Bristol is so high. City of two halves, and to live in the right area is very very expensive, traffic is terrible and from friends who live there they say the state schools aren't all that....oh and you better be a Corbynista.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    FPT: Corbyn has ZERO need to agree to any terms that would bail May out.

The UK crashing out of the EU, economic chaos and the Tories getting the blame, leading to a hard left Labour government is pretty close to his dream scenario.

Why would he possibly want to bail May out?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Not sure what is surprising or controversial?

Places where people are feeling great and "I'm alright Jack" decided not to rock the boat.
    Places where people are struggling or think things need to change decided to go for reform.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited July 2018

Surprised Bristol is so high. City of two halves, and to live in the right area is very very expensive, traffic is terrible and from friends who live there they say the state schools aren't all that.

I expect people like the idea of living in these places rather than the reality.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2018
    Brighton has become rather a dump, unfortunately. The traffic is abysmal, with poor road links, parking is non-existent, the centre of the town is covered in hideous graffiti, there's rubbish all over the place, and in the evenings it's full of noisy drunks. I wonder whether those answering this survey have actually visited these places?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited July 2018
    Liverpool is a buzzing town, lots going on and it feels very open thanks to the Mersey being hard to build on. Prices are low and crime is about 1/3rd of Manchester's level.

Manchester has better infrastructure and also has lots to recommend it, but feels a bit "stuffier". Graham Brady's patch (Altrincham and Sale West) is often listed amongst the UK's "top ten places to live" and Media City is not far away. Having said that, the M60 is worse than a joke - the M25 of the north particularly around the Trafford Centre
  • Options

Brighton has become rather a dump, unfortunately. The traffic is abysmal, with poor road links, parking is non-existent, the centre of the town is covered in hideous graffiti, there's rubbish all over the place, and in the evenings it's full of noisy drunks. I wonder whether those answering this survey have actually visited these places?

I believe some people describe such a place as "hip"....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    No York. Invalid list.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Why is Brighton second? Even people in the rest of Sussex regard it as a bit of a dump.
  • Options

I mean all these things are true of London too, and it's still the most desirable place in the UK to live.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The UK crashing out of the EU, economic chaos and the Tories getting the blame, leading to a hard left Labour government is pretty close to his dream scenario.

He won't.

His MPs though if they cared more about their constituents than narrow party political self-interest would want the best possible deal for them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Not surprising as AB upper middle class voters mainly voted Remain while working class voters mainly voted Leave.

However these figures are only for big cities mainly, many beautiful more rural areas or market towns voted Leave e.g. Saffron Walden, Canterbury, Northumberland, Herefordshire etc
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Why is Brighton second? Even people in the rest of Sussex regard it as a bit of a dump.

Oops - I see Richard Nabavi has already made my point for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    One thought, I wonder if people are answering this with the thought of actually living in the vicinity of such places rather than in the city itself? e.g. lots of nice places 20 mins from Brighton or Bristol.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

Except there is a strong chance that would not happen as some Labour Remainers went LD while hard Brexiteers returned from UKIP to the Tories
  • Options

He won't.

His MPs though if they cared more about their constituents than narrow party political self-interest would want the best possible deal for them.
    Well, lookie here.

Seems we got ourselves an IDEALIST.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Poor Stewart Jackson.

The location of the world's finest university also explains why Cambridge is top of that list.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

No York. Invalid list.

I agree on that. I had two great years working at the university in York and it is perhaps the best city anywhere.
  • Options

Poor Stewart Jackson.

The location of the world's finest university also explains why Cambridge is top of that list.

Isn't Peterborough just a posh name for the Cambridge ring road?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited July 2018
    It is not a view of the place itself, but an "idea" of the place in people's minds.
    So saying place x is a dump, or place y is nice and should be higher is pointless.
    No one asked has done any research on living in the places themselves.
    They are responding to their own prejudices.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    I agree with Mike on Hull.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Nowhere seems that popular apart from Cambridge (unsurprisingly) and Brighton (oddly).
  • Options

Poor Stewart Jackson.

Isn't Peterborough just a posh name for the Cambridge ring road?
    Yah
  • Options

No York. Invalid list.

I agree on that. I had two great years working at the university in York and it is perhaps the best city anywhere.
    Sadly these days York seems associated with floods.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

No York. Invalid list.

Thirded. Spend about a week a year there for work, and it seems to have everything that a city needs. Including a decent racecourse!
  • Options
    Those places that largely voted remain did so because they were largely winners from the status quo. They felt more in common with a European ideal than with their fellow countrymen and women. There is a lesson in that.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Answers on here why you wouldn't move to bradford ?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Brighton is only in Sussex in the literal sense of being geographically located in it. It is a completely different set of people, businesses and above all attitudes. I wouldn't describe it as a dump. It doesn't feel like home in the way the rest of the county does, but it is a great place to visit. And while Sussex is a fine county, it still has Bognor which is a dump.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

He won't.

Most Labour MPs are, of course, remainers who would like to see Brexit reversed. There is a growing belief that the approach of the cliff edge is the best hope for a rethink and a second referendum. Which is why Adonis and Mandelson have written articles opposing the Chequers deal. So there is zero incentive for Labour MPs to offer any support to May.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

Thirded. Spend about a week a year there for work, and it seems to have everything that a city needs. Including a decent racecourse!
    So long as you live outside the area that routinely gets flooded !
  • Options

All of the places listed have their attractive districts.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sean_F said:

Even Stoke? Can you show me please....Newcastle isn't in Stoke for the record.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Those places that largely voted remain did so because they were largely winners from the status quo. They felt more in common with a European ideal than with their fellow countrymen and women. There is a lesson in that.

Why did Liverpool vote Remain while Milton Keynes voted Leave?
  • Options

It's not as big as Leeds which has things like the Trinity Centre and a Harvey Nicks.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    FPT

Roger said:

Anyone who wants to take their minds of Brexit go and see Mama Mia. Kitsch as hell but brilliant.

I said that a few hours ago.
    So you did! Surprising because the films you seem to like rarely appeal to me. This was an exception. A film for Remainers everywhere. (A bit too joyous and multicultural for Leavers)
  • Options

Brighton is only in Sussex in the literal sense of being geographically located in it. It is a completely different set of people, businesses and above all attitudes. I wouldn't describe it as a dump. It doesn't feel like home in the way the rest of the county does, but it is a great place to visit. And while Sussex is a fine county, it still has Bognor which is a dump.
    I think Brighton has deteriorated over time.

The worst place in Sussex is Camber Sands.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Actually, I've never been to Stoke, but I believe that some parts of Stoke South are quite smart.
  • Options
    A man armed with a knife has attacked passengers on a bus in the northern German city of Lübeck, wounding several people, one seriously.

A suspect was arrested at the scene and taken into custody, police said. An area surrounding a bus stop in the Kücknitz neighbourhood was sealed off.

Local newspaper reports put the number of wounded at 14.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44904183
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sean_F said:

Agreed on both points.
  • Options

Are you serious? Bradford? It feels like Oldham and that is no compliment.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    reposted - curse of the New Thread
    kingbongo said:

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/july/tradoc_155717.pdf

considering the language used by the EU here when discussing trade with Japan can anybody explain to me why the language is so different with the UK - agreeing to use international standards for cars is deemed a positive for Japan but stupid and impossible for the UK for
    example -
    free trade with Japan will bring huge benefits but for the UK this can’t be discussed without FOM etc - I am genuinely puzzled

I think there is little doubt brexit has been a mess but the poses struck by the Commission mean that instead of getting the UK issue dealt with they have stored up decades more having ng to manage the UK problem child - from blockading the UK to readmitting the UK the problem has not been solved - at some point the French will notice and Barnier won’t seem so smart

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

What lesson? That their fellow countrymen shouldn’t believe everything they read on the side of a bus?

• Options

Working in Bradford would be fine, if you lived in somewhere like Idle, or Harrogate. The road trip from Harrogate to Bradford is stunning.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

considering the language used by the EU here when discussing trade with Japan can anybody explain to me why the language is so different with the UK - agreeing to use international standards for cars is deemed a positive for Japan but stupid and impossible for the UK for
    example -
    free trade with Japan will bring huge benefits but for the UK this can’t be discussed without FOM etc - I am genuinely puzzled

I think there is little doubt brexit has been a mess but the poses struck by the Commission mean that instead of getting the UK issue dealt with they have stored up decades more having ng to manage the UK problem child - from blockading the UK to readmitting the UK the problem has not been solved - at some point the French will notice and Barnier won’t seem so smart

Things like the plans for dispute resolution would violate the UK red lines.

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/september/tradoc_156042.pdf
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

I have never been in York, but I have flown over it several times including thermalling a DG-505 belonging to the BGA one sunny afternoon. It is very, very flat around there (especially from 7,000 feet) and I can see why it might flood.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

An astonishing amount of home for your money ? ~ 700k

London: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61877683.html?premiumA=true

Grantham: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71854229.html?premiumA=true

Stoke: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73525784.html
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Actually, I've never been to Stoke, but I believe that some parts of Stoke South are quite smart.
    Stoke is a funny place, and not very appealing, but even there there are some decent spots. I had a friend who was Lecturer at Keele Uni and would often go to visit. She had a beautiful Arts and Crafts era house, built by a senior Pottery designer that would have cost a fortune within the M25.
  • Options
    Tory MP Chris Davies has been interviewed by police under caution over claims he forged expenses receipts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5975131/Police-question-Tory-MP-Chris-Davies-caution-expenses-claims.html
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, I've only visited (as a child to Jorvik Viking Centre, or whatever the title is, and an adult to the Minster) but it really is very nice.

Mr. Eagles, last time there was a major flood I saw a map of the city marked up with the extent the Romans stopped building it (as Eboracum). None of the Roman city was flooded. Clever chaps.

Mr. Dawning, it may be nominative. Hull sounds a step away from Hell. Brighton sounds sunny and lovely.

(Works for Evil/Devil and Good/God. Also, the Romanian [I think] for evil is 'dracul').
  • Options

Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

I have never been in York, but I have flown over it several times including thermalling a DG-505 belonging to the BGA one sunny afternoon. It is very, very flat around there (especially from 7,000 feet) and I can see why it might flood.
    York is great. The Minster, the Jorvik Centre, the almost perfectly intact Medieval walls, and a maze of charming old streets.
  • Options
    WTF.

That said it'll be interesting what the Bluenoses say about this given that they've spent the last few days criticising Liverpool for spending £66 million on Brazil's number 1.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1020343675359059968
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

London: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61877683.html?premiumA=true

Grantham: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71854229.html?premiumA=true

That isn't in Stoke....it is miles outside. Plenty of smart houses in parts of Newcastle as well as the surrounding countryside...in the 6 towns of Stoke, not so much.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Sean_F said:

Not much to recommend the prefab village except to note there are numerous shabbier of the type. The beach would be very nice indeed if the wind ever dropped below 50mph - good sand rather than pebbles or mud.
  • Options
    Mr. F, the Minster is magnificent. Went up the tower (by choice, I hasten to add) whilst I was there. Repair/maintenance was underway, so on the high walkway between towers there was just a single scaffolding pole/pipe between me and a sizeable drop. Heights are not my favourite thing, although the view was nice.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

That isn't in Stoke....it is miles outside. Plenty of smart houses in parts of Newcastle as well as the surrounding countryside...in the 6 towns of Stoke, not so much.
    It's an easy enough commute !
  • Options
    Remember Stoke was a place where the council resorted to giving away houses for a £1....
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

WTF.

That said it'll be interesting what the Bluenoses say about this given that they've spent the last few days criticising Liverpool for spending £66 million on Brazil's number 1.

£50m and my question is : who is he ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

WTF.

That's a real all of my lols moment. They clearly have learned nothing from last season when they signed a bunch of second raters for lots of money.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

York is great. The Minster, the Jorvik Centre, the almost perfectly intact Medieval walls, and a maze of charming old streets.
    Seconded, third.... whatever. Great place. Sometimes travelling by rail, I make a stop there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

It's an easy enough commute !
    It is why most people with some money live in the countryside outside Stoke or somewhere like Nantwich.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

Not much to recommend the prefab village except to note there are numerous shabbier of the type. The beach would be very nice indeed if the wind ever dropped below 50mph - good sand rather than pebbles or mud.
    Camber Sands and Dungeness in bad weather are some of the most appealingly bleak places in the UK I've been.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Working in Bradford would be fine, if you lived in somewhere like Idle, or Harrogate. The road trip from Harrogate to Bradford is stunning.
    Stunning = Life threatening in the winter? ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Surely the defining feature of York is the number of Burberry raincoats thrown over the backs of the chairs at Betty's.
  • Options

Tory MP Chris Davies has been interviewed by police under caution over claims he forged expenses receipts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5975131/Police-question-Tory-MP-Chris-Davies-caution-expenses-claims.html

A Tory was interviewed on Newsnight last night. Ob_____us character !
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Stunning = Life threatening in the winter? ;)
    Definitely.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Surely the defining feature of York is the number of Burberry raincoats thrown over the backs of the chairs at Betty's.

Burn them.

https://news.sky.com/story/burberry-burns-286m-of-stock-to-protect-brand-11441359
  • Options
    Transfer market is bonkers this summer. £12m for a third choice keeper, £50m for the striker from Watford who is last seasons showed flashes but wasn't top drawer.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

example -

To answer you question of FOM. This is because Japan did a FTA and what May is asking for is all the benefits of membership of the single market but without FOM, money. May is not asking for a free trade deal (by a standard definition of one which is no tariffs different regulatory authorities, but rules applied with out discrimination).
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Sean_F said:

Camber Sands and Dungeness in bad weather are some of the most appealingly bleak places in the UK I've been.
    Try Snake Pass between Manchester and Sheffield. Even in good weather it is bleak up there. In winter, it is like the back of the moon.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Mr. F, the Minster is magnificent. Went up the tower (by choice, I hasten to add) whilst I was there. Repair/maintenance was underway, so on the high walkway between towers there was just a single scaffolding pole/pipe between me and a sizeable drop. Heights are not my favourite thing, although the view was nice.

The only time I've ever been to the top of York Minster there was no view. Just a sea of fog. My wife who lived there for a year assures me this is quite normal.
  • Options

Remember Stoke was a place where the council resorted to giving away houses for a £1....

Not just Stoke

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-many-people-now-living-14366400
  • Options

WTF.

Clearly using the money we saved by signing Pickford instead of pissing it up the wall on Karius and Mignolet and then having to pay well over the odds for yet another goalie.
  • Options

The only time I've ever been to the top of York Minster there was no view. Just a sea of fog. My wife who lived there for a year assures me this is quite normal.
    Why did your wife live at the top of York Minster for a year?
  • Options

Thanks,I live in inner city bradford and you banged on earlier about what leave has done to you and your family.

Well I could say the same about remain who have destroyed my quality of life with cheap immigration .
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

WTF.

Clearly using the money we saved by signing Pickford instead of pissing it up the wall on Karius and Mignolet and then having to pay well over the odds for yet another goalie.
    We spent less than £14 million on Karius, Mignolet, and Ward, and we're selling one of them for £12.5million with Mignolet to be sold for nearly as much soon.

Remember Mignolet kept Sunderland in Premier League, Pickford got them relegated.
  • Options

Not just Stoke

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-many-people-now-living-14366400
    TBF, I think Stoke got the idea from Liverpool.
  • Options
    Reasonably fair I would say. I'd expect Glasgow to be several places higher. An interesting place when you know it and I'm surprised Nottingham is above Liverpool. I don't think I've been to Hull but if it's below Stoke it obviously didn't promote itself well enough when it was the City of Culture.
  • Options
    A rather good précis about what we were discussing on the previous thread.

https://twitter.com/sueg501/status/1020291650088816641
  • Options

It's not as big as Leeds which has things like the Trinity Centre and a Harvey Nicks.
    We don't even have our own BBC radio station with the size of the city or big in door areana for events .

Yes we get treated like shit.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    deleted
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited July 2018

Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

I did Gloucestershire and Monmouthshire in a BGA 505 too, maybe even the same plane! Only 5,000’ cloudbase for me though.

(This is much more fun than Brexit :) )
  • Options

dixiedean said:

WTF.

We spent less than £14 million on Karius, Mignolet, and Ward, and we're selling one of them for £12.5million with Mignolet to be sold for nearly as much soon.

Remember Mignolet kept Sunderland in Premier League, Pickford got them relegated.
    You keep telling me that.
    https://scontent.fman1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37426824_1837033613000192_9083067992303992832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d507ff38155c665bdfe350759ea482f1&oe=5BCBCE55
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

example -

that’s a proposal - have the EU insisted on ECJ ajudication with Japan? My point was that the EU rather than seek to dispose of the UK problem seem intent by hook or by crook to having problem acter problem from a truculent and a noying neighbour - you seem equally intent on doing that and I am bemused as to why - I have 3 more years to wait to get Danish. citizenship but apart from that my only interest in brexit is trying to ensure friendly neighbourhood relations - the EU are happy to use more friendly and flexible language with Japan - I just asked why such language is not used with the UK
    a point you ignored
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Other than Sheffield which is where I am already (For work) I'd have Stoke on the top of the list as I think we'd have a field for the horses near there (And not a tiny house). Can't see that with Cambridge, Brighton.
    Edinburgh perhaps might be ok
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

example -

that’s a proposal - have the EU insisted on ECJ ajudication with Japan? My point was that the EU rather than seek to dispose of the UK problem seem intent by hook or by crook to having problem acter problem from a truculent and a noying neighbour - you seem equally intent on doing that and I am bemused as to why - I have 3 more years to wait to get Danish. citizenship but apart from that my only interest in brexit is trying to ensure friendly neighbourhood relations - the EU are happy to use more friendly and flexible language with Japan - I just asked why such language is not used with the UK
    a point you ignored
    Because Japan isn't asking the EU to violate the four freedoms.
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

example -

a point you ignored
    Japan isn't implementing a policy instigated by people who were trying to destroy the EU. The EU has to assert its power against such threats.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    A completely bizarre article given the very limited set of options. The places people would most like to live are easily determined by where they actually do so once they get a free choice i.e. retirement hotspots and of course they almost all voted Leave by absolutely miles.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

And the National Rail Museum. ;)
  • Options
    OT. Interesting that Trump paying off a girl for her silence is not illegal in itself but if its in order to withhold information from voters it is. Sounds a bit too much like dancing on the head of a pin
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sean_F said:

Nowhere seems that popular apart from Cambridge (unsurprisingly) and Brighton (oddly).

Cambridge has one major problem: even with the expansion of the Lion Yard shopping centre, it is a bit of a shopping desert. If we want to go on an expensive shopping expedition for clothes and the like (which is very rarely), then London or Nottingham are far better wrt choice of shops.

In fact, Cambridge is in a bit of a desert: there's (relatively speaking) f'all for miles around it. I think the nearest other city is Peterborough (*) which has glorious bits to it, but can also be a little dumpish.

(*) And soon Tim Peake's Soyuz capsule and spacesuit on display, leastways for a month or so.

Edit: http://www.visitpeterborough.com/thedms.aspx?dms=3&feature=1368&venue=0220627
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    4h4 hours ago

France, BVA poll:

President Macron Approval Rating

Approve: 39% (-2)
    Disapprove: 59% (+6)

Field work: 18/07/18 – 19/07/18
    Sample size: 1,003"
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    JonWC said:

A completely bizarre article given the very limited set of options. The places people would most like to live are easily determined by where they actually do so once they get a free choice i.e. retirement hotspots and of course they almost all voted Leave by absolutely miles.

Well, no, that's how you determine the places retired people think are the best value for money, once they've taken affordability into account. Not at all the same as where all people most want to live.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    4h4 hours ago

France, BVA poll:

President Macron Approval Rating

Approve: 39% (-2)
    Disapprove: 59% (+6)

Field work: 18/07/18 – 19/07/18
    Sample size: 1,003"

So the world cup win hasn't helped,it must be bad.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Other than Sheffield which is where I am already (For work) I'd have Stoke on the top of the list as I think we'd have a field for the horses near there (And not a tiny house). Can't see that with Cambridge, Brighton.
    Edinburgh perhaps might be ok

Given that travellers are back in my village for the umpteenth time recently, and their horses are loose over the roads, I don't think you'd have a problem finding a field for your horses.

You might not like the lifestyle, though... ;)

(Actually, you might be in luck to the north and east of Cambridge- lots of arable land. And very near Newmarket and Huntingdon if you want to try racing ...)
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

York Racecourse is good.
    Shame about the football club , they are getting a new ground However they are now in the national league north.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

No York. Invalid list.

York Racecourse is good.
    Shame about the football club , they are getting a new ground However they are now in the national league north.
    RL team on the up though after many years of struggle.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438

I agree with Mike on Hull.

So do I. It's a place I know very well as I used to spend a lot of time there a few years back. It's a very nice city - I was very surprised the first time I visited it. It has great tourist attractions (The Deep, several museums and an art gallery), a beautiful old quarter, nice parks and the people are really friendly.
This discussion has been closed.