Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May sees a huge drop in her YouGov leader ratings in three mon

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Merkel henchman tells Dublin to build aand maintain any hard border.

This sounds expensive for Dublin. Could there end up being a border across the Bay of Biscay instead ?

https://amp.independent.ie/business/brexit/ireland-will-have-hardest-border-in-europe-if-uk-doesnt-reach-brexit-deal-ally-of-merkel-warns-37142875.html?__twitter_impression=true

Joachim Pfeiffer – a key ally of Chancellor Merkel – painted a dire picture of the outcome.

Mr Pfeiffer said Ireland would “have a border like we have a border with Ukraine, or Belarus” as there would no longer be treaties in place with the UK that would ensure the rules and standards of the EU would be respected.

Mr Pfeiffer said it will be Ireland’s responsibility to erect and manage the Border on the EU side, and the UK’s task to manage the territory of Northern Ireland.

Border in the bay of biscay? No. But while I've doubt most Irish anger will be reserved for us for provoking this situation, much like our own torturous desperations over Brexit ultimately whoevers fault it was is secondary to dealing with it, and Ireland looks like taking the biggest hit of any EU country. The EU woukd be wise to make sure the rest support Ireland a great deal.
    It's good cop bad cop.

If, say, Germany pushes for a border then the UK has no option but to agree to anything that means there won't be a border. It is exquisitely clever.

We, or at least the sensible PBers have noted how the EU, Ireland, and the UK all don't want a border so it was crazy and illogical that anyone was suggesting it.

Now someone is suggesting it. It is a bluff we can't call.
    Err. What?

If you know someone has a duff hand, you call it.
    We cannot. Because we simply cannot take the chance that they actually mean it.

At the end of the day what does Germany know or care about the last 500 years of Irish history? Fuck all. Just like most PB Leavers on here.
    We know they have a duff hand, and that they've been overbetting like mad on flop, turn and river. Therefore we call it.

If they mean it, how it is implemented is secondary because it would be so appallingly unpopular on both sides of the border. It might be enough to tip Ireland into leaving, too.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

This sounds expensive for Dublin. Could there end up being a border across the Bay of Biscay instead ?

https://amp.independent.ie/business/brexit/ireland-will-have-hardest-border-in-europe-if-uk-doesnt-reach-brexit-deal-ally-of-merkel-warns-37142875.html?__twitter_impression=true

Joachim Pfeiffer – a key ally of Chancellor Merkel – painted a dire picture of the outcome.

Mr Pfeiffer said Ireland would “have a border like we have a border with Ukraine, or Belarus” as there would no longer be treaties in place with the UK that would ensure the rules and standards of the EU would be respected.

Mr Pfeiffer said it will be Ireland’s responsibility to erect and manage the Border on the EU side, and the UK’s task to manage the territory of Northern Ireland.

The Irish are riding the wrong horse. That's why they are becoming increasingly shrill. Varadkar has realised it.
    However, if it came to it, I believe Ireland would just say No to a hard border, as would the UK. Neither side would erect any infrastructure. What would the EU do then? Pursue Ireland through the ECJ, forcing them to build a fence, risking renewed violence? Then the EU would get all the blame. Not gonna happen

An open border in Ireland would become one of those weird illegal anomalies everyone tolerates as the legal alternative is worse. There would be significant but random customs checks many miles away from the frontier.
    Correct it would be unpalatable for a Berlin Wall to be enforced on Dublin. They would refuse and the EU would cut ROI adrift . A hard border across he Bay of Biscay leaving Ireland as a net contributor and stuffed. They would be better off out.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    I thought earlier reports suggested she did not agree with Javid on this?
    We're getting contradictory reports on this.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited July 2018

SeanT said:

Superb trolling.

Also, they're ISIS. Fuck it. Shoot them.

If there's any wonder how Telegraph managed to lose 23% circulation in a single year, I think we have an answer.

Telegraph readers brains just fall out of their arses.
    I cancelled my subscription 6 months ago
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    edited July 2018
    Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Border in the bay of biscay? No. But while I've doubt most Irish anger will be reserved for us for provoking this situation, much like our own torturous desperations over Brexit ultimately whoevers fault it was is secondary to dealing with it, and Ireland looks like taking the biggest hit of any EU country. The EU woukd be wise to make sure the rest support Ireland a great deal.
    It's good cop bad cop.

If, say, Germany pushes for a border then the UK has no option but to agree to anything that means there won't be a border. It is exquisitely clever.

We, or at least the sensible PBers have noted how the EU, Ireland, and the UK all don't want a border so it was crazy and illogical that anyone was suggesting it.

Now someone is suggesting it. It is a bluff we can't call.
    Err. What?

If you know someone has a duff hand, you call it.
    We cannot. Because we simply cannot take the chance that they actually mean it.

At the end of the day what does Germany know or care about the last 500 years of Irish history? Fuck all. Just like most PB Leavers on here.
    We know they have a duff hand, and that they've been overbetting like mad on flop, turn and river. Therefore we call it.

If they mean it, how it is implemented is secondary because it would be so appallingly unpopular on both sides of the border. It might be enough to tip Ireland into leaving, too.
    You are describing it in terms which are not relevant to the situation.

To say it's "appallingly unpopular" is not even wrong.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

To brighten the sombre mood. True story:

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1021459607657623559

Way to go. Now everyone knows about it.
    I didn't say where it WAS. Just "in the middle".

Just checking on my A-Z map of London. It must be on there somewhere.
    It is, but it is seriously hidden away. I genuinely had no idea it existed. As I say in the tweet I have traipsed around the park (which I love) for three decades or more. I know quiet little corners most don't.

But then my young wife goes and finds that, wandering the park practically for the first time. It is a gorgeous little nook.
    I know it well.
    In younger days I may have been known to take women there. Now, weekend family picnics.

Please don’t disturb it with your mid-life novelist rutting.
This discussion has been closed.