Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB MP in ultra-marginal seat charged with perverting the cour

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB MP in ultra-marginal seat charged with perverting the course of justice

Crikey. https://t.co/yoTYmTtTv4 pic.twitter.com/U0EaupGTOl

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    Labour's 2017 new intake continues to shine.
  • Options
    Obviously innocent until proven guilty.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Will TMay block Stewart Jackson from standing again?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Of course Stewart Jackson providentially has just been released from his previous job. One wonders whether he retains an interest in the seat.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Theresa May's cunning plan to call a snap GE and then screw up the campaign, so Labour would have a load of unvetted new MPs, starts to swing into action....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Obviously. However, I see the Twitter outrage bus is already revving its engine.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Very limited details from Mail and Sun beyond perverting the course of justice, perhaps something might emerge on August 12th.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited July 2018

In the circumstances, he would surely be the best candidate. The Chequers deal clearly isn't popular (compromises usually aren't) but it would be very awkward to have a by-election candidate who didn't support the PM's policy. Unless, of course, they were the previous MP.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    How many Conservative & Labour MPs have currently had the whip withdrawn at the moment, and is it currently two Labour MPs who are now sitting as independents?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2018
    The Tory vote in Peterborough may be understated due to the previous MP's possible unpopularity.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018

Odd its taken the media 12 days to report this considering she was charged and appeared in Westminster magistrates court - not locally in her constituency.

Presumably she only has to step down if convicted and any trial could be months away.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    fitalass said:

How many Conservative & Labour MPs have currently had the whip withdrawn at the moment, and is it currently two Labour MPs who are now sitting as independents?

One and three I think.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    AndyJS said:

The Tory vote in Peterborough may be understated due to the previous MP's possible unpopularity.

In that case it's vital if there is a by-election that he stands again so the Tories lose.

Remember what happened the last time they gained a seat from Labour!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Amazing how this has just emerged from nowhere. All very curious.

Worst case scenario is life in prison for those convicted of this sort of offence. More likely 4 - 36 months.

Either way, end of career IF found guilty.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Lab Hold methinks.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    BYE
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

In that case it's vital if there is a by-election that he stands again so the Tories lose.

The Tories did very well here in May's local elections, which may indeed suggest there was a vote against the former MP.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Jared O'Mara and John Woodcock are sitting as independents.

Kelvin Hopkins and Ivan Lewis are currently without the whip.

On the blue side I think it is just Charlie Elphicke without the whip.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

The Tories would probably select a new candidate.
  • Options
    She appeared in court at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 12th July, nearly two weeks ago. Why has this taken so long to be reported?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

She appeared in court at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 12th July, nearly two weeks ago. Why has this taken so long to be reported?

There maybe reporting restrictions in place.

Remember when Chris Huhne was awaiting trial there was a restriction in place about Constance Briscoe.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I suspect some sort of reporting restriction. Can't think why - but then that would normally be reported alongside the revelation of the charging itself.

Normally even the arrest of any MP makes a huge splash. Why did that slip under the radar?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

The Tories did very well here in May's local elections, which may indeed suggest there was a vote against the former MP.
    Yes, but I'm channelling my inner Brenda from Bristol. We can't afford another Copeland.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That was my first thought too, how did this story manage to remain under the media radar for so long?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I suspect some sort of reporting restriction. Can't think why - but then that would normally be reported alongside the revelation of the charging itself.

Normally even the arrest of any MP makes a huge splash. Why did that slip under the radar?
    A reporting restriction could well be related to whichever case she is accused of perverting the course of justice of...
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

That was my first thought too, how did this story manage to remain under the media radar for so long?
    I read somewhere recently that the standard and scope of court reporting is not what it used to be.
  • Options
    For our lawyers, on a more serious note, what sort of penalty might be imposed IF she is found guilty? Is it one with a wide range of sentences or does the judge have a tight set of guidelines?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

fitalass said:

One and three I think.
    Thanks Sean F, much appreciated.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    dr_spyn said:
    All a bit hush hush. Hopefully we’ll be allowed to know more after the next court date.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

For our lawyers, on a more serious note, what sort of penalty might be imposed IF she is found guilty? Is it one with a wide range of sentences or does the judge have a tight set of guidelines?

As I said a few mins ago - longest possible sentence is life. More likely 4 to 36 months - sometimes with a fine (or sometimes just a fine)

Either way, enough to be career ending - IF convicted
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

AndyJS said:

Media turning a blind eye to Labour misconduct as always.
  • Options

fitalass said:

Jared O'Mara and John Woodcock are sitting as independents.

Kelvin Hopkins and Ivan Lewis are currently without the whip.

On the blue side I think it is just Charlie Elphicke without the whip.
    Thanks Eagles, much appreciated.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It can be a life sentence but it is circa around 6-12 months.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

IANAL, but CPS guidelines are 4-36 months. It has a huge range (up to life), given that the nature of the particular course of justice one is perverting is so crucial.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. So even if she is found guilty, there is a strong possibility she wouldn't automatically forfeit her seat.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IANAL, but CPS guidelines are 4-36 months. It has a huge range (up to life), given that the nature of the particular course of justice one is perverting is so crucial.
    When you are a law-maker (as MP), even the hint of you perverting the course of justice seems worse.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

When you are a law-maker (as MP), even the hint of you perverting the course of justice seems worse.
    She is a qualified solicitor too. All very curious.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

In the circumstances, he would surely be the best candidate. The Chequers deal clearly isn't popular (compromises usually aren't) but it would be very awkward to have a by-election candidate who didn't support the PM's policy. Unless, of course, they were the previous MP.
    I'd prefer a new and more centrist candidate if a by-election ensues. Jackson's failure to hold the seat last time says all you need to know.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

Thanks for the replies. So even if she is found guilty, there is a strong possibility she wouldn't automatically forfeit her seat.

I suspect the Chris Huhne precedent would kick in 'Lawmakers cannot be lawbreakers'

There's also the potential for recall.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200

Labour's 2017 new intake continues to shine.

Naught but Tory propaganda! :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Any custodial sentence would allow electors to petition for her recall under the Recall of MPs Act 2015. 10% of the electorate signing the petition would trigger a by-election, in which she could stand (unless sentenced for more than a year).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Constance Briscoe was a Recorder and she was found guilty of something similar in the Huhne trial.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Think Labour are safe, frankly.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    She's a commercial property solicitor...
  • Options

They may well be - but it is a bit early to speculate on that. Much could well depend on the nature of the allegations and how tarnished the party ends up being as a result.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Any custodial sentence would allow electors to petition for her recall under the Recall of MPs Act 2015. 10% of the electorate signing the petition would trigger a by-election, in which she could stand (unless sentenced for more than a year).
    The key word was 'automatically.'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ah yes, my apologies. Either way, I think anyone being convicted of anything is pretty much toast these days.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Constance Briscoe was a Recorder and she was found guilty of something similar in the Huhne trial.
    Lawyers, eh? :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh hello..

"The Mirror has learned the case is being prosecuted by the Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division of the Crown Prosecution Service."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-labour-mp-appears-court-12979550
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Bloody hell. We really do have a shower of MP's don't we? Regardless of this ones guilt or not.
  • Options
    BBC have the story - hidden away in the "local" news section:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44957896
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ah yes, my apologies. Either way, I think anyone being convicted of anything is pretty much toast these days.
    Well, perhaps they should be. But in the current Labour Party, I wouldn't like to bet on it. Much would depend on the case.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Oh hello..

"The Mirror has learned the case is being prosecuted by the Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division of the Crown Prosecution Service."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-labour-mp-appears-court-12979550

The tweet has unfortunate implications - it will presumably be the Special Crime part of it, one of whose responsibilities is "cases involving high profile individuals such as MPs".
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Don't read too much into this, so were all those Tory MPs and their election expenses

https://twitter.com/andrewgregory/status/1022158732590018560
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I must 'fess up to having never heard of Fiona till this afternoon. At least she's achieving some kind of name recognition...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited July 2018
    That doesn't really tell us anything: "cases involving high profile individuals such as MPs" are treated as a Special Crime for this purpose.

EDIT I see @Tissue_Price made the same point first.
  • Options

That doesn't really tell us anything: "cases involving high profile individuals such as MPs" are treated as a Special Crime for this purpose.

Yup, I forgot to add my explainer.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited July 2018
    A suggestion she was remanded in custody; unlikely?
  • Options

They may well be - but it is a bit early to speculate on that. Much could well depend on the nature of the allegations and how tarnished the party ends up being as a result.
    *IF* it escalates as far as a by-election then the main thing to look out for will be evidence for Ukip rising from the grave - as if we didn't have enough problems already...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    This came out of nowhere :o
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That's fake news.
  • Options
    What wing of Labour is she from ?

Corbynite-deathtoIsrael or yellerremainerMiliband ?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

ydoethur said:

I must have taken my eye off the ball because I didn't know the 10% recall proposal had passed into law.
  • Options
    A cursory glance at her twitter account seems to show this is not someone who has been remanded.

https://twitter.com/FionaOnasanyaMP/with_replies
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    AndyJS said:

This made me laugh; a candidate's vote mught depend on their popularity - no shit!?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I dunno, I kind of miss Ed Miliband
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

ydoethur said:

I must have taken my eye off the ball because I didn't know the 10% recall proposal had passed into law.
    There's talk of it being used in North Antrim on Ian Paisley Jr., based on his 30-day suspension from the Commons.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

AndyJS said:

This made me laugh; a candidate's vote mught depend on their popularity - no shit!?
    Usually people vote for the party, not the candidate. But if the candidate is particularly poor, it can affect their performance sometimes.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

She's a Remainer. From the little I know of her I wouldn't call her a Corbynista. Moreover, if she were surely she would be in the Shadow Cabinet by now.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

That's fake news.
    Since she's spoken in the Commons recently, clearly so
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    I think Andrew Griffiths, the sexting MP for Burton who resigned as a Minister last week, is also suspended.
  • Options
    Just saying.

Chris Huhne was charged in February 2012 and his trial started a year later.
  • Options
    BBC on the case:

"It is not known when the alleged offence took place. The BBC has contacted the office of Ms Onasanya, who previously worked as a solicitor."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44957896
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:

Media turning a blind eye to Labour misconduct as always.
    Why on earth would Tory-supporting newspapers turn a blind eye to alleged Labour misconduct?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Just saying.

Didn't he eventually plead guilty, or have imagined that? I suspect you're right though, these things take along time to come to court. Just look at Thanet South.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Just saying.

Didn't he eventually plead guilty, or have imagined that? I suspect you're right though, these things take along time to come to court. Just look at Thanet South.
    He did, he changed his plea on the first day of trial.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Don't read too much into this, so were all those Tory MPs and their election expenses

You are seriously wrong here: "all those Tory MPs" were not charged: only the one. Please correct this.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

You are seriously wrong here: "all those Tory MPs" were not charged: only the one. Please correct this.
    No - he means 'they were all investigated by the SCCTD.'

Basically he's saying don't assume she's a terrorist just because of the police unit involved.

(If she were a Corbynista now...)
  • Options

Did I say they were charged? No.

I was trying to put TGOHF's 'Hello' into context.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Isn't that what Huhne did?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

You were adding to a piece which says "Labour MP to stand trial after being charged..."
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yup.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yeah.

If it's true she is Toasty McToastface.

• Options
    Boring.

Why couldn't she have done something interesting, like perjured herself in a case over an anti-Jewish terrorist?

We've already had one of these.
  • Options
    As someone who has accumulated 21 points on his licence at various stages can I say anyone who tries to dodge speeding points are lower than Mark Reckless in my eyes.

You want stress? Try driving for 8 months whilst on 9 points.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

right.

You were adding to a piece which says "Labour MP to stand trial after being charged..."
    well.

quite.

• Options

When we didn't know what it related to and people were focussing on

The Mirror understands the case is being handled by the Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division of the Crown Prosecution Service
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    ydoethur said:

Boring.

Why couldn't she have done something interesting, like perjured herself in a case over an anti-Jewish terrorist?

We've already had one of these.
    Lol.
  • Options

As someone who has accumulated 21 points on his licence at various stages can I say anyone who tries to dodge speeding points are lower than Mark Reckless in my eyes.

Sounds as though it was a much less stressful time for all the other drivers in West Yorkshire though TSE if you're that careless a driver.
  • Options
    As suspected
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    If Jackson doesn't stand, UKIP will need to give Tory voters a proper anti-May option.
  • Options
    If convicted, it is hard to see how she can return to her former career let alone her present one.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever received a sentence of 12 months or more for trying to get someone else to take their speeding points?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sounds as though it was a much less stressful time for all the other drivers in West Yorkshire though TSE if you're that careless a driver.
    I was driving 30,000 miles a year in those years.

The E class Merc and the ML I had were very quiet, you could be doing 85mph and it sounded so quiet.

I've been driving for 23 years and I've not been involved in fault accident yet.

I'm one of the safest drivers on the road.

Plus the speed cameras on the Stocksbridge bypass really didn't like me.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I've read a lot of criticism on here of certain Tory MPs. Stewart Jackson is one, Andrew Bridgen is another. I know little about either, other than what I read in All Out War about the latter. But it is interesting to see how the Tories have fared in Peterborough and North West Leicestershire.

Jackson lost Peterborough last year having had a 4,800 majority in 2010. Andrew Bridgen recorded a 13,000 majority last year having gained the seat with a 7,500 majority in 2010. Both seats voted leave by over 20 pp in the referendum.
This discussion has been closed.