Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » House majority betting moves sharply to the Democrats after 3

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

It's not illegal, is it?

It doesn't look good for a politician to use taxpayers money defending someone found guilty of electoral fraud...
    They are using taxpayers money?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:
    Yes, it's totally illegal to ask others to fund your fine.
    He's not asking for that, he's asking for money fund a legal challenge to overturn the fine, AIUI.
    Well done, you have a better understanding of what he is doing than Carole Cadwalladr. I'm surprised this tweet is still up.
    https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1022170864907964418
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited July 2018

Disgracefully the England selectors have picked Adil Rashid in the squad for the first test.

A kick in the knackers for red ball cricketers.

And Yorkshire cricket,the man should be sacked by the club.
    Judging by the comments of the chairman Martyn Moxon he's going to be.

"We are pretty disappointed with both the ECB's and Adil's decision," said Martyn Moxon, Yorkshire's Director of Cricket, "and we will have to consider the implications as far as our plans for next year are concerned."

Mark Arthur, Yorkshire's chief executive, said: "We're very surprised that England have called Adil up after not playing red-ball cricket this season. Neither has he expressed a desire to do so. I hope that England know what they're doing to Adil, and the county game."

(Edited to reflect the fact I'd got the wrong official.)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2018
    Croydon seems to be the hottest place so far, which was already 33 degrees at 12pm:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=M7NZW9vaCKLHgAb7h43IBQ&q=current+weather+croydon
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,511

Disgracefully the England selectors have picked Adil Rashid in the squad for the first test.

Why ?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:
    He's not asking for that, he's asking for money fund a legal challenge to overturn the fine, AIUI.
    Well done, you have a better understanding of what he is doing than Carole Cadwalladr. I'm surprised this tweet is still up.
    twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1022170864907964418
    Oh dear. Is she going to have to post yet another retraction?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

MPs are paid by us
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

It's not illegal, is it?

It doesn't look good for a politician to use taxpayers money defending someone found guilty of electoral fraud...
    So teachers, nurses and other public sector workers shouldn't challenge a legal decision that has gone against them?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So teachers, nurses and other public sector workers shouldn't challenge a legal decision that has gone against them?

MPs using taxpayer money to support someone found guilty of electoral fraud.

Your whataboutery does not alter that reality.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So Leavers have decided that the Electoral Commission is biased (a view based so far as one can see on nothing other than noisy but disingenuous twaddle) and would prefer to crowdfund appeals against its determinations rather than support its neutrality.

At some point, post-Brexit, those same Leavers will want the country to unite behind institutions. Which institutions do they think that the country should be uniting behind?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,809
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Not even I think that MPs should go unpaid, and should not be free to use their salary as they see fit.
  • Options

So Leavers have decided that the Electoral Commission is biased (a view based so far as one can see on nothing other than noisy but disingenuous twaddle) and would prefer to crowdfund appeals against its determinations rather than support its neutrality.

At some point, post-Brexit, those same Leavers will want the country to unite behind institutions. Which institutions do they think that the country should be uniting behind?

Breitbart
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:
    twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1022170864907964418
    Oh dear. Is she going to have to post yet another retraction?
    Quite possibly. The thing is, she clearly has a story, yet the way she is covering it is very odd (given that she writes for a major paper): articles full of speculation and supposition, and admissions that she can't verify her claims. Very postmodern journalism.
  • Options

I don't think the EC is biased. But, people are still entitled to appeal its decisions.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Not even I think that MPs should go unpaid, and should not be free to use their salary as they see fit.

As stated, it's not a good look, but they are not prevented from doing so.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, as always you can't string together any original thought. I bet you thought you were being really clever when you quoted those idiotic twatters moaning about MPs doing something illegal, now that you know they aren't suddenly it's about them being public sector employees. Stick to copying people from twatter, though I don't think you know how to do that very well either.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,026

Sean_F said:

I'm not sure 'pouring petrol on fires' is the happiest of metaphors under the circumstances...

https://twitter.com/WikiGuido/status/1022386520538443776

The Jews, having forfeited the confidence of the Labour Party, can only win it back by redoubled efforts.
    Isn't it a standard neo-nazi trope that the jews bought the holocaust on themselves?
    No.

In Neo Nazi world the holocaust never happened.
    With the important proviso that if it had they would have deserved it.

You can literally see photos of US Holocaust deniers wearing t shirts with Zyklon B logos. These guys just want to have their cake and eat it.
  • Options

So you're saying that people shouldn't have the ability to appeal a decision?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Lol, as always you can't string together any original thought.

And you can't read.

Neither Tweet claimed it was illegal. Neither did I.

Twat x 2
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MaxPB said:

Not if they voted Leave. They're the UK's untermensch as remainers delight in telling us every day.
  • Options
    surby said:
    Not really 'official' unless the rest of the member states agree, surely ?
    But it is interesting news.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,987

I'm not sure 'pouring petrol on fires' is the happiest of metaphors under the circumstances...

Primo Levi's Tears.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    France is being mischievous there.

The price the EU27 will extract for suspending article 50 will be high. Germany has already said it would expect a "significant" change in British attitudes, whatever that means.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MaxPB said:

Lol, as always you can't string together any original thought.

And you can't read.

Neither Tweet claimed it was illegal. Neither did I.

Twat x 2
    So they are reporting them to the standards commissioner for what, then?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

MPs are paid by us
    At which point it is no longer taxpayers' money.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

People can crowdfund for anything pretty much these days. Some leavers have no doubt donated, most leavers won't know or care who Darren Grimes is.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ah, the village idiot fails to read again.

The crowdfunder is based around the Electoral Commission being biased. Guido reports that bias as fact. MPs and the serried ranks of Leavers have been donating on that basis.

Now, try engaging with the point I made. If you are able.
  • Options

The price the EU27 will extract for suspending article 50 will be high. Germany has already said it would expect a "significant" change in British attitudes, whatever that means.

German as the new national language? :p
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Nigelb said:

surby said:
    Not really 'official' unless the rest of the member states agree, surely ?
    But it is interesting news.
    Various EU critters have been saying this ad nauseam. In practice, it's going to be difficult; as a once popular folk singer reminds us, it takes two to tango. I can't see Leavers deciding 'Well, we gave it a go, but fair enough' while humming 'Ode to Joy' under their breath.
  • Options

Alistair

I'm genuinely surprised at this post from you, especially as you are a lawyer. Are you saying people should be found guilty and heavily fined by a body that's not a court, without right of review?

I would have thought personally that while the Electoral Commission should be allowed to fine political parties, it certainly should not declare individuals guilty of a crime, fine them and only then refer the matter to the police having hopelessly prejudiced any chance of a proper investigation and a fair trial. Whether he's guilty or not, and whatever his political views, that absolutely stinks.

I would add, I certainly don't have confidence in the Electoral Commission and I never have done because they are a quango of civil servants, and I do not rate such organisations. If they are even half as useless as OFSTED, they are totally unfit for any purpose whatsoever.
  • Options
    Grimes is very unlikely to prevail on appeal. But if he uses any left over money to pay his fine then he'd definitely be doing something illegal.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The Jews, having forfeited the confidence of the Labour Party, can only win it back by redoubled efforts.
    Isn't it a standard neo-nazi trope that the jews bought the holocaust on themselves?
    No.

In Neo Nazi world the holocaust never happened.
    With the important proviso that if it had they would have deserved it.

You can literally see photos of US Holocaust deniers wearing t shirts with Zyklon B logos. These guys just want to have their cake and eat it.
    Paul Johnson wrote a rather blackly funny article about an article in an Egyptian newspaper that managed to argue that the holocaust never happened, but if it did happen, it was a good thing, and that it was carried out by Zionists in collaboration with the Nazis.
  • Options
    The electoral commission is biased.

You know how I know? BECAUSE IT HAS HUMAN BEINGS IN IT.

Except for Paul Staines, no human being is capable of living in objective reality.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,200

Why don't we be mischievous and just revoke Article 50. Then let anyone who disagrees argue before the ECJ that we can't. It'll take years and make everyone look ridiculous.

I know, the referendum, Parliament, ERG, Labour, blah, blah.....

But honestly: is it any less sensible than all the other daft suggestions that have been floating around?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair

I'm genuinely surprised at this post from you, especially as you are a lawyer. Are you saying people should be found guilty and heavily fined by a body that's not a court, without right of review?
    I have not said any such thing.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The crowdfunder is based around the Electoral Commission being biased. Guido reports that bias as fact. MPs and the serried ranks of Leavers have been donating on that basis.

I've said before that the public sector should have purged the remainers from day one, yet your lot still hold all the major offices, you hold all the major public bodies and are in charge of all aspects of brexit and it's surrounding processes. If people are suspicious of your motives, it should come as no surprise.

As an aside, what happens if the courts do find the EC have acted improperly?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Why don't we be mischievous and just revoke Article 50. Then let anyone who disagrees argue before the ECJ that we can't. It'll take years and make everyone look ridiculous.

But honestly: is it any less sensible than all the other daft suggestions that have been floating around?
    The treaty of Lisbon is clear that it takes unanimous consent of the Council, there's no basis at all for thinking the UK government can unilaterally revoke Article 50.
  • Options

Grimes is very unlikely to prevail on appeal. But if he uses any left over money to pay his fine then he'd definitely be doing something illegal.

Is it really illegal to pay someone else's fine? I would have thought that might be common amongst couples?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Cyclefree said:

The very British solution would simply be to stop talking about it. Treat Brexit like Aunt Cynthia who had to 'go away' many years ago. Surely the Continentals would be too polite to bring the subject up? It would be so, so awkward. Now, cup of tea? Do you take sugar?
  • Options
    I'll put down David Hopps as 'undecided' on the question of whether Adil Rashid should play Tests:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24197540/adil-rashid-recall-expedient-unprincipled-unfaithful
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I've said before that the public sector should have purged the remainers from day one, yet your lot still hold all the major offices, you hold all the major public bodies and are in charge of all aspects of brexit and it's surrounding processes. If people are suspicious of your motives, it should come as no surprise.

As an aside, what happens if the courts do find the EC have acted improperly?
    Up to your usual unhinged standards.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Unless and until the ECJ ruled that the revocation was effective, I'd have thought we'd be treated as non-members.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,987
    MaxPB said:

I've said before that the public sector should have purged the remainers from day one,

SeanT cover band.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Is there much leeway for yet more ridiculousness to be piled on?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Alistair

Well, you've said the basis for this appeal is that Leavers assume the EC is biased against them. The implication was therefore that you thought this action shouldn't be brought.

I'm saying whatever the facts of this case the EC's actions are morally indefensible, mind-blowingly stupid and conceivably illegal, and therefore they certainly should be reviewed by a court. The court may well uphold the verdict, but at least then there will have been something akin to normal legal process.

As I say, however, my contempt may be coloured by the extremely negative experience I have of such quangos, especially their arrogance, rudeness, incompetence and stupidity.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Is it really illegal to pay someone else's fine? I would have thought that might be common amongst couples?
    Unless there's fraud involved, or perverting the course of justice, I don't see how it can be illegal to pay someone else's fine.

So taking penalty points for someone else and paying the fine is definitely illegal, but I wouldn't have thought that it was illegal as a general principle.
  • Options
    "Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    2h2 hours ago

Germany, YouGov poll:

CDU/CSU-EPP: 30%
    SPD-S&D: 17%
    AfD-EFDD: 17% (+1)
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 12%
    LINKE-LEFT: 11%
    FDP-ALDE: 9% (-1)

Field work: 20/07/18 – 24/07/18
    Sample size: 2,005"
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks Can you point me to the MPs that have donated ?
    https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/darrengrimes/

Searching for evidence of donations (I do note Priti Patel has pledged 'support') on twitter is tricky as Elon Musk's girlfriend is also called Grimes and has made the news for standing by her man over his GOP donations.
    You seem to be exaggerating the scale of support for Grimes though - he's probably known by about 3% if that of the population.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Unless and until the ECJ ruled that the revocation was effective, I'd have thought we'd be treated as non-members.
    Amusingly, since Lisbon is entirely vague on the revocability or otherwise of article 50, it might take a round of treaty revision to resolve the issue. Otherwise the UK could end up stuck in a "eternally leaving" state.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

I've said before that the public sector should have purged the remainers from day one,

SeanT cover band.
    Gary Bushell might be interested in giving them a listen.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Unless there's fraud involved, or perverting the course of justice, I don't see how it can be illegal to pay someone else's fine.

So taking penalty points for someone else and paying the fine is definitely illegal, but I wouldn't have thought that it was illegal as a general principle.
    A fine is an order for the named person to make a payment. If somebody else makes that payment, then the order isn't considered satisfied. Or something like that.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Primo Levi's Tears.

Bragg is an example of the sort of self-righteous individual who thinks that because he is Labour he must therefore be on the right side and not racist, regardless of the evidence. No wonder he thinks that it is the voters who must prove that they are worthy of Labour's support and not the other way around.

His attitude is no different to that satirised by Brecht: "The regime should dismiss the people and appoint another one."

The blunt truth is that Jews are not wanted by Labour. Goodbye and good riddance is their attitude. If that makes them racist - and it does - who cares? Not enough of them to make any sort of difference electorally and other voters mostly don't care or (some of them) approve.

It is morally reprehensible. But when your leader has been spending all his political career hanging out with, supporting and being friends with morally reprehensible people, so what? He has remade the party in his image. Some us warned that this was likely to happen. We take no satisfaction in being proved right.

It is immensely sad and shaming that in Britain in 2018 a minority community which has contributed so much to British life in the centuries it has been here and which has, throughout its existence, been persecuted and threatened and harmed in unimaginably cruel ways, should feel that a government led by the official opposition would lead to an "existential threat to Jewish life in this country" with so little concern from those normally so quick to pounce on any evidence of racism directed at anyone else.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    MaxPB said:

I've said before that the public sector should have purged the remainers from day one

We're you in favour of disbanding the Iraqi army and police after the invasion?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nigelb said:

Why ?
    For me a couple of reasons,first - a couple of years back when Yorkshire going for county championship in last march against Middlesex he wouldn't play because he needed a rest or was a family matter ,who knows.

And to this season he let Yorkshire down big time with he doesn't want to play county championship cricket,this is bloody Yorkshire county cricket club .

I have the feeling his heart isn't in the club any more.

The guy must remember that this great club will be here long time after he's gone from the game
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

A fine is an order for the named person to make a payment. If somebody else makes that payment, then the order isn't considered satisfied. Or something like that.
    Sure, but if you give the named person the money to pay the fine, and they pay it, then the order is satisfied.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair

Well, you've said the basis for this appeal is that Leavers assume the EC is biased against them. The implication was therefore that you thought this action shouldn't be brought.

I'm saying whatever the facts of this case the EC's actions are morally indefensible, mind-blowingly stupid and conceivably illegal, and therefore they certainly should be reviewed by a court. The court may well uphold the verdict, but at least then there will have been something akin to normal legal process.

As I say, however, my contempt may be coloured by the extremely negative experience I have of such quangos, especially their arrogance, rudeness, incompetence and stupidity.
    My original post was entirely about the choices that Leavers are making. They are choosing to undermine Britain's institutions rather than supporting them.

I have at no point suggested that they did not have the right to do so. I asked what institutions Leavers think the country should eventually be uniting behind? Right now they appear to want to destroy every civic institution in the country.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Vote Leave, and Darren Grimes, appear to be principally guilty of doing something clumsily that should have been done with much more finesse. I don't know that they deserve any great sympathy for that.

The total spent suggests that spending limits don't work very well on referendums.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

Sure, but if you give the named person the money to pay the fine, and they pay it, then the order is satisfied.
    Yeah, otherwise your employer could be held liable for paying your fine indirectly?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Sean_F said:

RobD said:

One explanation I saw was that with crowd-funding, it wasn't provable as to who was paying the fine (I'm a bit surprised if this is true - surely it's possible to ensure that donors are identifiable?).
  • Options

Vote Leave, and Darren Grimes, appear to be principally guilty of doing something clumsily that should have been done with much more finesse. I don't know that they deserve any great sympathy for that.

The total spent suggests that spending limits don't work very well on referendums.

That is often the difference between legality and illegality. Quite frequently, people could have done legally, with a bit more thought, what they did illegally.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The treaty of Lisbon is clear that it takes unanimous consent of the Council, there's no basis at all for thinking the UK government can unilaterally revoke Article 50.
    I thought that one of the legal arguments the government lawyers wanted to use in the Final Miller case (but were forbidden from doing for political reasons) was that Article 50 was revocable.

Anyway, send the letter in. See what happens. It can't be any more stupid than stockpiling food, ration books etc and "Build your own Anderson shelter" leaflets being sent out to everyone, which seems to be the government's current policy.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

RobD said:

One explanation I saw was that with crowd-funding, it wasn't provable as to who was paying the fine (I'm a bit surprised if this is true - surely it's possible to ensure that donors are identifiable?).
    I could see the potential for fraud, if money that was supposed to be used to fund a legal challenge, was in fact used to pay the fine.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair

My original post was entirely about the choices that Leavers are making. They are choosing to undermine Britain's institutions rather than supporting them.
    "My country right or wrong! My mother drunk or sober"
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I thought that one of the legal arguments the government lawyers wanted to use in the Final Miller case (but were forbidden from doing for political reasons) was that Article 50 was revocable.

Anyway, send the letter in. See what happens. It can't be any more stupid than stockpiling food, ration books etc and "Build your own Anderson shelter" leaflets being sent out to everyone, which seems to be the government's current policy.
    I see it as akin to handing in your notice to your employer. If you change your mind, your employer might agree to keep you on, but he's entitled to take you at your word and hold you to the notice.
  • Options

I have at no point suggested that they did not have the right to do so. I asked what institutions Leavers think the country should eventually be uniting behind? Right now they appear to want to destroy every civic institution in the country.

I think in this case you're picking a bad horse to back, frankly. If the EC have fined the campaign group, that's one thing. If they've fined an individual I think there is a very real possibility they have exceeded their powers and potentially compromised a criminal investigation. In which case they don't deserve support but they do - in a democratic system - deserve a pounding.

One of the more important features of a democracy is the ability to criticise our institutions. For example, it is vital for the health of democracy that we are able to say loudly and clearly that OFSTED and OFQUAL are incompetent tenth-rate loons who don't give a flying fuck about the education of children and actively hinder it by their empire-building mentality and lack of expertise. It is also vital to the health of every teacher or we would all die of apoplexy from suppressed rage.

In this case, the EC's verdict will be reviewed. If the facts of the case are as stated, it is likely the judge will find their comments justified. However, it will also lead to a further clarification of their powers which can only be in everyone's interests.

I think actually therefore whatever the motivation this is a useful case.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IaeeSKpwSQ
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The treaty is clear that an extension to the exit period requires unanimity. It doesn't say anything explicit about revocation - although to my mind, the fact that it states the points at which a state that triggers A50 will then leave, under three scenarios, means that these are the only possibilities once the letter's been sent and hence there is no scope to revoke.

That said, one theoretical possibility to reverse Brexit which hasn't been considered but which might have potential would be for Britain to sign an Accession Treaty, to take effect an instant after 11pm on 29 March, on exactly the same terms as applied before Brexit. Obviously, it wouldn't be politically viable to this government but that's not the point in question.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair

"My country right or wrong! My mother drunk or sober"
    I've always thought both of those to be strange sayings. They imply, taken literally, that you are willing to be the national of a country only as long as it is wrong, and that one of your parents is biologically disconnected from you while in Juncker mode.

Originally of course it was 'this is my party, right or wrong, for I know one cannot be right against the party.' (Lev Bronstein.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think in this case you're picking a bad horse to back, frankly. If the EC have fined the campaign group, that's one thing. If they've fined an individual I think there is a very real possibility they have exceeded their powers and potentially compromised a criminal investigation. In which case they don't deserve support but they do - in a democratic system - deserve a pounding.

One of the more important features of a democracy is the ability to criticise our institutions. For example, it is vital for the health of democracy that we are able to say loudly and clearly that OFSTED and OFQUAL are incompetent tenth-rate loons who don't give a flying fuck about the education of children and actively hinder it by their empire-building mentality and lack of expertise. It is also vital to the health of every teacher or we would all die of apoplexy from suppressed rage.

In this case, the EC's verdict will be reviewed. If the facts of the case are as stated, it is likely the judge will find their comments justified. However, it will also lead to a further clarification of their powers which can only be in everyone's interests.

They have not sought funding on procedural flaws. They claim bias. They have chosen to undermine the institution, not just challenge the decision. They are continuing to undermine every aspect of civic society.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The treaty is clear that an extension to the exit period requires unanimity. It doesn't say anything explicit about revocation - although to my mind, the fact that it states the points at which a state that triggers A50 will then leave, under three scenarios, means that these are the only possibilities once the letter's been sent and hence there is no scope to revoke.

That said, one theoretical possibility to reverse Brexit which hasn't been considered but which might have potential would be for Britain to sign an Accession Treaty, to take effect an instant after 11pm on 29 March, on exactly the same terms as applied before Brexit. Obviously, it wouldn't be politically viable to this government but that's not the point in question.
    Wouldn't that require unanimity too?

I remember when it was confirmed Scotland would have to seek membership on leaving the UK that there was some doubt as to whether the Spanish would play ball due to concerns over Catalonia.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IaeeSKpwSQ
    Look out for my forthcoming blockbuster '101 ways to prepare Turnips', coming soon.

In re the actual point, there's been a lot of lawyer-talk about Article 50, both for and against revocation, and whether, if indeed revocable, it's unilaterally revocable (note that Lisbon is silent on this matter - the article itself only deals with extension).

I liked Stephen Weatherill's argument, which jibes with my technical sphere - look at the edge cases. If a perfidious state were minded to, it could repeatedly invoke A50, decide that it didn't fancy the offered deal, unilaterally revoke and try again later.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2018
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I see it as akin to handing in your notice to your employer. If you change your mind, your employer might agree to keep you on, but he's entitled to take you at your word and hold you to the notice.
    Actually, I agree with you. Since the Art.50 letter was written by the UK and addressed to the EC [ whose masters are the EU27 countries ], then so long as all parties agree, anything is possible. Just like an employee changing his/her mind about resignation.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I like that idea.

• Options
    Look we are not going to revoke A50. If nothing else it would usher in Jezza in a heartbeat and Tezza knows this. I can imagine an 80% disapproval rating for such a move. Extension? 70% approval.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

They have not sought funding on procedural flaws. They claim bias. They have chosen to undermine the institution, not just challenge the decision. They are continuing to undermine every aspect of civic society.
    Well, in this case as I said I think a lot of the undermining has been done by the Electoral Commission themselves, whatever the rantings of leavers. Feel free to disagree.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Look we are not going to revoke A50. If nothing else it would usher in Jezza in a heartbeat and Tezza knows this. I can imagine an 80% disapproval rating for such a move. Extension? 70% approval.

Mock me if you will, but I'd prefer to get JC now, than son-or-daughter-of-JC later. The Left have eaten the Labour party's brain and they're not letting go. I see Corbyn as ineffectual. His successors might not be.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I doubt that the EC is biased (after all, they fined the Lib Dem Remain campaign), but what if Grimes can indeed prove bias?
  • Options

I think the clarity that the finest legal minds (And I mean that without irony or sarcasm) that the Court of Appeal might bring to this case will be helpful.
    Whether he'll win or not I have no idea.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Why ?
    For me a couple of reasons,first - a couple of years back when Yorkshire going for county championship in last march against Middlesex he wouldn't play because he needed a rest or was a family matter ,who knows.

And to this season he let Yorkshire down big time with he doesn't want to play county championship cricket,this is bloody Yorkshire county cricket club .

The guy must remember that this great club will be here long time after he's gone from the game
    I don't really disagree with that, but sacking him simply for getting picked by England when they renewed his contract, in the knowledge that he had still made himself available for England selection, is wrong.
    If they choose not to renew his contract for next season that would be an entirely different matter - but I'd personally wait to see how he performs first. If he plays in India, the selectors have said that he will have to play first class cricket next season.
    it's not as though there are many leggies around.

Bottom line is that he's been mishandled by England, and it's a mess. The problems in English cricket start at the top.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    Imran Khan declares victory.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Look we are not going to revoke A50.

German carmakers will give us a great deal

It will be the easiest deal in history

£350m a week for the NHS

we are not going to revoke A50.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Was it by five wickets or five runs?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I doubt that the EC is biased (after all, they fined the Lib Dem Remain campaign), but what if Grimes can indeed prove bias?
    A number of Commissioners have made their personal feelings about the referendum result clear. I don't think this amounts to bias, but, as in the case of the Speaker, it is certainly unwise.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Was it by five wickets or five runs?
    Let's just say he got the swing required.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Was his campaign within spending limits ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,372
    ydoethur said:
    I don’t think Vaughan was ever captain of Yorkshire.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

What a remainer wanting a second go, that not changing minds with many on the remain side.
    To have the best chance of success, the campaign for Remain/Second Referendum should be led by prominent Leavers who have changed their mind.

At the moment - I don't think there any.
  • Options

ydoethur said:
    I don’t think Vaughan was ever captain of Yorkshire.
    I don't think he was ever club captain, but I'm pretty sure he captained them from time to time a la Root.
  • Options
    Well, perhaps. But if you'll remember they did that a few years ago with Eoin Morgan who was picked on his strength as a white ball hitter, and was basically a failure.

Buttler is another such gamble, of course.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well, perhaps. But if you'll remember they did that a few years ago with Eoin Morgan who was picked on his strength as a white ball hitter, and was basically a failure.

Buttler is another such gamble, of course.
    Fair enough, it's all on the selectors. Which is as it should be.
  • Options
    John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Mock me if you will, but I'd prefer to get JC now, than son-or-daughter-of-JC later. The Left have eaten the Labour party's brain and they're not letting go. I see Corbyn as ineffectual. His successors might not be.
    Let me ahem try again.

No. He is despicable. Those around him are despicable. And at some point I am hoping that it will be broadly realised that this is the case. Those as we have well rehearsed on here who are Labour and therefore believe they are simply incapable of racism, at some point will see the light.

May is merely inept,
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Nigelb said:

Why ?

Bloody over inflated Yorkshire Egos

Dont you just love em.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Let me ahem try again.

No. He is despicable. Those around him are despicable. And at some point I am hoping that it will be broadly realised that this is the case. Those as we have well rehearsed on here who are Labour and therefore believe they are simply incapable of racism, at some point will see the light.

May is merely inept,
    *Teacher hat ON*

I trust you have also washed your keyboard.

*Teacher hat OFF*
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Let me ahem try again.

No. He is despicable. Those around him are despicable.

May is merely inept,
    JC is simply keeping the seat warm for our one and true Meme Queen, Emily Thornberry
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Why ?

Bloody over inflated Yorkshire Egos

Dont you just love em.
    They're just a lot of puddings.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Wouldn't that require unanimity too?

I remember when it was confirmed Scotland would have to seek membership on leaving the UK that there was some doubt as to whether the Spanish would play ball due to concerns over Catalonia.
    Yes, it would - and unlike an extension to A50, it'd also require ratification among the member states, so probably wouldn't be practical - though as a status quo treaty wouldn't require any changes to national law, it wouldn't be quite as cumbersome as an amending treaty (although i think that one consequence might be to temporarily bugger up MEP allocations - though as there'd be an election in May anyway, this might not matter).
This discussion has been closed.