Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Welsh vote could give Thomas the edge for SPOTY

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Welsh vote could give Thomas the edge for SPOTY

I’ve just put a bet on Geriant Thomas for the 2018 Sporting Personality of the Year. I got 3/1 on Betfair.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited July 2018
    Ahead of the pack :)

It means I can escape quicker :D:D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

I accept that timescale, so you must agree that Brexitism is a recent phenomenon as Euroscepticism morphed into Euro-rejectionism.

Perhaps the Tory with the most culpability for it is Michael Gove. This was 2012.
    Giving the people what is wanted shouldn’t be talked about in terms of culpability.
    No form of Brexit that is actually deliverable could command majority support. People don't want it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Who will achieve more than G this year? He'd be a worthy winner.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    F1 stuff: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/07/hungary-post-race-analysis-2018.html

Regret not backing him for SPOTY, but there we are.

Still think Kane or suchlike might get it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

If Kyle Edmund wins the US Open, he might be a contender.

I don't think it's likely but it's a possibility.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Sandpit said:

Looks like the Hungarian weather forecast is about right, it’s going to be a hot and sunny race. With one hour to go it’s 35° with the track over 50°C.

Looking at bets (all these on Betfair) Hamilton to win at 2.52 looks good given that he starts on pole, Vettel is also odds against at 2.9. No SC at 2.32 also looks good, there weren’t any in the dry support races. Verstappen is a lay for a podium at 3.75, as is Ricciardo for top 6 at 1.54. To lead the first lap, Bottas at 6.4 is better value than Hamilton at 1.6.

Win (2.52)
    Lose
    Win (2.32)
    Win (lay 3.75)
    Lose
    Lose.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I also don’t have that much sympathy with moderate Labour MPs. Although I would say moderates have been more guilty of ceding ground to the right than the far left in the last two decades or so.

I also don’t think the ‘Hard Brexit’ tendency can be described as fringe as far as the Tories are concerned - strong euroscepticism has been a significant, not fringe part of the party since the 1980s. It has dogged pretty much every single Conservative leader since Thatcher.

There is a difference between Euroscepticism, and Brexitism which is a much more recent phenomenon.
    How else do you think euroscepticism was going to manifest itself if not "Brexitism" (urgh!) if the EU would not engage with Cameron's renegotiation in any meaningful sense?
    I am aware that the Brexiteers are now strong, but am just stating a fact. Tories advocating leaving the EU, as opposed to merely opposing further centralisation, are a recent phenomenon.
    The turning point for many was Lisbon and Cameron's failed renegotiation. The two combined showed that the EU ratchet was inexorably turning and that mooted reforms we wanted were no longer possible.
    I accept that timescale, so you must agree that Brexitism is a recent phenomenon as Euroscepticism morphed into Euro-rejectionism.
    Yes. But it is the natural consequence of prior scepticism not being acknowledged and dealt with. It did not just spring up out of nowhere.
    It's the natural consequence of prior scepticism being indulged and appeased instead of dealt with.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Perhaps the Tory with the most culpability for it is Michael Gove. This was 2012.
    Giving the people what is wanted shouldn’t be talked about in terms of culpability.
    No form of Brexit that is actually deliverable could command majority support. People don't want it.
    And yet, any form of Brexit will be more popular than the EU.

Those who have niche hobby horses like Eurofederalism would do well to reflect on that.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I also don’t have that much sympathy with moderate Labour MPs. Although I would say moderates have been more guilty of ceding ground to the right than the far left in the last two decades or so.

I also don’t think the ‘Hard Brexit’ tendency can be described as fringe as far as the Tories are concerned - strong euroscepticism has been a significant, not fringe part of the party since the 1980s. It has dogged pretty much every single Conservative leader since Thatcher.

There is a difference between Euroscepticism, and Brexitism which is a much more recent phenomenon.
    How else do you think euroscepticism was going to manifest itself if not "Brexitism" (urgh!) if the EU would not engage with Cameron's renegotiation in any meaningful sense?
    I am aware that the Brexiteers are now strong, but am just stating a fact. Tories advocating leaving the EU, as opposed to merely opposing further centralisation, are a recent phenomenon.
    The turning point for many was Lisbon and Cameron's failed renegotiation. The two combined showed that the EU ratchet was inexorably turning and that mooted reforms we wanted were no longer possible.
    Yes. But it is the natural consequence of prior scepticism not being acknowledged and dealt with. It did not just spring up out of nowhere.
    It's the natural consequence of prior scepticism being indulged and appeased instead of dealt with.
    How should it have been dealt with? Reeducation camps for non believers?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Not just saying this because I backed her at 33-1, but Lizzy Yarnold would be a worthy winner. I still think laying Kane looks the right thing to do on this market but not sure.

A lot might come down to why Joshua didn't win last year. Was it complacency by the voters who voted for who they wanted to finish second?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Jordan Pickford?
    Lewis Hamilton if he wins a 5th title?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941
    Sandpit said:

Jordan Pickford?
    Lewis Hamilton if he wons a 5th title?

I’m afraid I think the SPOTY voting public have had their fill of cyclists.

We seem to win it every year now; doesn’t seem a big deal. Which is a bit sad for the British winner! Well done Geraint.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/28/brexit-stockpiling-food-fear-government-feed

The Swedes and the Swiss have a list of foods that they should stockpile.

What should our list consisit of ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

How many goals did Kane score after the group stage?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    To link the last conversation to this one (sorry if that is inappropriate) the Welsh make up 4.5% of the UK population but while they have long not been an independent country nobody would deny their significance nor claims over Wales.

Viewed in that context the over 8% of Palestine (including what is now Jordan) that was Jewish in 1890 or roughly 33% in 1948 is much more significant a percentage than Wales is.

But Wales as shown by this bet is meaningful and significant despite being a small percentage of the UK as a whole.

(Hope that link worked appropriately)
  • Options

It's a very fair point. You can lay him at around 2.1 if you're confident he won't win.
  • Options

He is there to score penalties.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

To link the last conversation to this one (sorry if that is inappropriate) the Welsh make up 4.5% of the UK population but while they have long not been an independent country nobody would deny their significance nor claims over Wales.

Viewed in that context the over 8% of Palestine (including what is now Jordan) that was Jewish in 1890 or roughly 33% in 1948 is much more significant a percentage than Wales is.

But Wales as shown by this bet is meaningful and significant despite being a small percentage of the UK as a whole.

The key thing is it has never with one or perhaps two very brief exceptions been a united independent country.

Although I'm not sure your own analogy works. The Welsh have not tried to take over large sections of England on the basis that until the 6th century they were the dominant people.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh, I did not know MPs had a god given right to be the Party's candidate whether they wanted him / her or not.

In the US it's called Primaries !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/28/frank-field-criticises-local-labour-members-confidence-vote
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    By December, Kane will remind people of a summer that went on forever, when we fell back in love with football - and could hold our heads up high again.

But then, I wonder if Southgate embodies that even more?
  • Options
    surby said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/28/brexit-stockpiling-food-fear-government-feed

All of the sweets and snacks we are instructed only to have as treats by well-meaning health campaigners. They:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good
    - don't need cooking, so can still be enjoyed even if the gas and electricity get cut off

Crisps and chocolate are both high on my emergency preparedness list.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Those who have niche hobby horses like Eurofederalism would do well to reflect on that.
    We haven't left yet :)

I suspect that in a couple of years time that Brexit will be as popular as the second Gulf War is now. Brexit will be an unwanted orphan, with hardcore Brexiteers arguing like aging Communists over it not being implemented correctly.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

Jordan Pickford?
    Lewis Hamilton if he wons a 5th title?

I’m afraid I think the SPOTY voting public have had their fill of cyclists.

We seem to win it every year now; doesn’t seem a big deal. Which is a bit sad for the British winner! Well done Geraint.
    Sadly cycling as a sport has a serious reputation problem, and regardless of the truth there’s always a suspicion that it’s a competition among pharmacists.
  • Options

By December, Kane will remind people of a summer that went on forever, when we fell back in love with football - and could hold our heads up high again.

By December England may been relegated in the UEFA League of Nations Nations League!
  • Options

surby said:

All of the sweets and snacks we are instructed only to have as treats by well-meaning health campaigners. They:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good
    - don't need cooking, so can still be enjoyed even if the gas and electricity get cut off

Crisps are largely produced domestically, and Chocolate comes from non EU imports, so probably not required in emergency stock. Insulin, however, should be stockpiled as it is not produced domestically.

https://twitter.com/oliverjamesking/status/1022873025253978112?s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

I suspect that in a couple of years time that Brexit will be as popular as the second Gulf War is now. Brexit will be an unwanted orphan, with hardcore Brexiteers arguing like aging Communists over it not being implemented correctly.
    Depends entirely on (a) what form it eventually takes and (b) how well or badly implementation goes.

If there's no deal *and* the fallout is anything better than totally catastrophic then Europe should disappear as a major political issue surprising quickly. Otherwise the arguing could drag on indefinitely.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,500
    @Ydoethur, FPT
    Your solution has the merit of being sensible, but there is a flaw. The neighbour in question for a number of reasons would have to be Jordan. The majority of Jordan's population is in fact of Palestinian origin or descent (70% according to the Jerusalem post: https://m.jpost.com/Opinion/Columnists/A-Palestinian-Jordanian-confederation) However, Jordan itself faces economic problems and water shortages that would make absorbing more refugees almost impossible. Money might sort the former - hard to see it resolving the latter in an all but landlocked state...

Technology might solve the latter - both Israeli agritech (which would have the added benefit of generating a degree of goodwill), and solar power, for which the ME as well situated as just about anywhere else on the planet.
    The Arab states are fairly backward economically, which is why Israel has managed to retain regional dominance. Hoping that will remain the case is not a sensible long term strategy - and prosperous societies are also less likely to be implacable enemies.

Getting from where we are now to peaceable coexistence is an extremely difficult route, but I don’t see any other alternative. Repression can preserve the status quo, but not forever.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ydoethur said:

The key thing is it has never with one or perhaps two very brief exceptions been a united independent country.

Although I'm not sure your own analogy works. The Welsh have not tried to take over large sections of England on the basis that until the 6th century they were the dominant people.
    The Israelis took land at a time of war.

The Scottish/English border has moved a number of times whenever we were at war with each other. These border areas have been developed by their new nation when that happened.

The problem is that since the Arabs declared war on newly founded Israel there hasn't been a single day of peace since. Ceasefires but never peace.
  • Options
    Acorn_AntiquesAcorn_Antiques Posts: 196
    edited July 2018
    Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

Crisps are largely produced domestically, and Chocolate comes from non EU imports, so probably not required in emergency stock. Insulin, however, should be stockpiled as it is not produced domestically.

https://twitter.com/DrGABaines/status/1023592937748344832

EDIT: I'll leave crisps and chocolate on my list. In the event of panic buying my favourite varieties might be temporarily unavailable anyway.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Like I said Jewish people were more than entitled to the 8%, those people had mostly lived there a long time. So they get to keep Wales which for the purpose of this hypothetical is 8% of the UK.

The rapid expansion of the Welsh population afterwards doesn't magically entitle them to take English lands, no matter how meaningful and significant our Welsh population is, even if the Welsh people became the most meaningful and significant people the world had ever seen, it would still be wrong for them to take English lands for their recent arrivals from abroad.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

Who do we buy it off at present, and why won't we be able to buy it from them after Brexit?
  • Options

Like I said Jewish people were more than entitled to the 8%, those people had mostly lived there a long time. So they get to keep Wales which for the purpose of this hypothetical is 8% of the UK.

The rapid expansion of the Welsh population afterwards doesn't magically entitle them to take English lands, no matter how meaningful and significant our Welsh population is, even if the Welsh people became the most meaningful and significant people the world had ever seen, it would still be wrong for them to take English lands for their recent arrivals from abroad.
    The partition happened in 1948 not 1890 and by that stage they were a third of the population.

Unless you oppose all migration or don't consider migrants people (even after nearly 60 years) I don't see why 1890 is super relevant.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Looks like the Hungarian weather forecast is about right, it’s going to be a hot and sunny race. With one hour to go it’s 35° with the track over 50°C.

Looking at bets (all these on Betfair) Hamilton to win at 2.52 looks good given that he starts on pole, Vettel is also odds against at 2.9. No SC at 2.32 also looks good, there weren’t any in the dry support races. Verstappen is a lay for a podium at 3.75, as is Ricciardo for top 6 at 1.54. To lead the first lap, Bottas at 6.4 is better value than Hamilton at 1.6.

Win (2.52)
    Lose
    Win (2.32)
    Win (lay 3.75)
    Lose
    Lose.
    Was tempted by all manner of side bets just before the race, but in the event just let the Hamilton @5 run. A decent weekend.
    :smile:

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293
    surby said:

He is there to score penalties.
    Yes, he used to be there to take corners but was successfully promoted to penalty-taker.

Seriously though, he did play consistently well throughout the tournament. He'll probably get it because the bar is set lower for footballers.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

Who do we buy it off at present, and why won't we be able to buy it from them after Brexit?
    Novo Nordisk, I believe.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited July 2018

Good shout. Kane has the opposite problem to Thomas, a large group of Arsenal fans and others, who will actively vote against him.
    Southgate, by contrast, is not automatically associated with any particular club. Palace, Villa and Boro are not disliked widely.
    Although I'd go for Thomas personally.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Good shout. Kane has the opposite problem to Thomas, a large group of Arsenal fans and others, who will actively vote against him.
    Southgate, by contrast, is not automatically associated with any particular club.
    Southgate? He will be a candidate for coach of the year, but SPOTY? I think you have to be competing on the playing field.

But I agree on Kane struggling to win votes of supporters of big clubs other than Tottenham.
  • Options

The partition happened in 1948 not 1890 and by that stage they were a third of the population.

Unless you oppose all migration or don't consider migrants people (even after nearly 60 years) I don't see why 1890 is super relevant.
    Well yes the vast majority of them were recent immigrants.

You can't just turn up in a country and become part of the claim on it. That is the whole point of the discussion, turning up the day before partition happens and thus insisting your are just as deserving of the land as people who had been living there for many generations is kind of the whole point.... that is basically what the war is about.

Much like if a massive wave of Muslim immigration came into Britain (and was enforced on us) this largely foreign people then take a large swathe of the country based largely on the recent wave of immigration and kick people like you and your family out their homes to make way for the people living in the Muslim country.

That is pretty much war. You cannot take land from other people for your own people and then claim defence, and then continue to take land and continue to claim defence. There is no nation on Earth that wouldn't have taken the Israeli actions as war.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Win (2.52)
    Lose
    Win (2.32)
    Win (lay 3.75)
    Lose
    Lose.
    Was tempted by all manner of side bets just before the race, but in the event just let the Hamilton @5 run. A decent weekend.
    Good price. I take it that was from before qualifying?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Southgate, by contrast, is not automatically associated with any particular club.
    Southgate? He will be a candidate for coach of the year, but SPOTY? I think you have to be competing on the playing field.

But I agree on Kane struggling to win votes of supporters of big clubs other than Tottenham.
    As far as personality goes Klopp ought to be a contender for coach of the year but I doubt he will have a chance against Southgate.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970

Foxy said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Foxy said:

Depends entirely on (a) what form it eventually takes and (b) how well or badly implementation goes.

If there's no deal *and* the fallout is anything better than totally catastrophic then Europe should disappear as a major political issue surprising quickly. Otherwise the arguing could drag on indefinitely.
    From the sunlit uplands of a bold, vibrant economic powerhouse making deals with emerging economies all around the world to 'better than totally catastrophic' ...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    dixiedean said:

Southgate, by contrast, is not automatically associated with any particular club. Palace, Villa and Boro are not disliked widely.

Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Win (2.52)
    Lose
    Win (2.32)
    Win (lay 3.75)
    Lose
    Lose.
    Yes, I had a punt earlier in the week, and let it ride.

• Options

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

As far as personality goes Klopp ought to be a contender for coach of the year but I doubt he will have a chance against Southgate.
    The difference is that Klopp got his team to the final!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Win (2.52)
    Lose
    Win (2.32)
    Win (lay 3.75)
    Lose
    Lose.
    Well done. Lewis should never be that long before a race weekend starts anywhere.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, Hamilton was about 9 (maybe 7.5 but think it was longer) for the win pre-qualifying. Before practice, he was 4.33 or so with Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    If only we had a Prime Minister who had an interest in diabetics not dying from lack of medicine....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

I'd have thought a 100-point season might give Pep more a chance.
  • Options
    And just to add if (as seems increasingly likely) Brexit does visible and lasting economic damage to the country, the Tories' reputation will be trashed in a much deeper and long-term way than the LDs' was by tuition fees.
  • Options

You can't just turn up in a country and become part of the claim on it. That is the whole point of the discussion, turning up the day before partition happens and thus insisting your are just as deserving of the land as people who had been living there for many generations is kind of the whole point.... that is basically what the war is about.

Much like if a massive wave of Muslim immigration came into Britain (and was enforced on us) this largely foreign people then take a large swathe of the country based largely on the recent wave of immigration and kick people like you and your family out their homes to make way for the people living in the Muslim country.

That is pretty much war. You cannot take land from other people for your own people and then claim defence, and then continue to take land and continue to claim defence. There is no nation on Earth that wouldn't have taken the Israeli actions as war.

Sorry but that is ridiculous. The Israelis did not force themselves in they migrated legally. Many were decades before. You've chosen a cut off date that would be the equivalent to Windrush. Many of those in the post war census would be the children or grandchildren of migrants born there and have every right to a claim.

Do you consider the Windrush generation and their descendents not to be legitimate or have a claim to be here?

Similarly there has been Muslim migration to this country which was lawful. Are the Muslim descendants and migrants here not legitimate? Do you oppose it as an act or war?

You are using the language and attitudes of the EDL.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

And just to add if (as seems increasingly likely) Brexit does visible and lasting economic damage to the country, the Tories' reputation will be trashed in a much deeper and long-term way than the LDs' was by tuition fees.

The LibDems said one thing, did another.

The Tories asked the voters: do you want to Brexit? They said yes. The Tories are only in the LibDems place if they don't deliver Brexit. And if they don't, they are in a worse place than the Canadian Conservatives.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Don't forget the 4th Place Trophy.
  • Options

The Tories asked the voters: do you want to Brexit? They said yes. The Tories are only in the LibDems place if they don't deliver Brexit. And if they don't, they are in a worse place than the Canadian Conservatives.....
    Yes, they're f*cked either way.
  • Options

If only we had a Prime Minister who had an interest in diabetics not dying from lack of medicine....
    If the summer is going to be defined by supposedly serious journalists randomly Tweeting scare stories without checking facts, then almost everyone’s going to have switched off completely by September.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Don't forget the 4th Place Trophy.
    Did anyone even watch that anti-climax?
    (I think your screen name might give away your team :tongue: )
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

The electorate is fickle and ungrateful. I fully expect the codicil to Brexit, of whatever stripe, to be PM Jezza, because life is cruel that way.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If the summer is going to be defined by supposedly serious journalists randomly Tweeting scare stories without checking facts, then almost everyone’s going to have switched off completely by September.
    I don't know about fake news, but we do now seem to have news in the hands of journalists who are complete twats.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @Morris_Dancer And look at how many retweets that tweet has compared to one they are replying to. What a joke twitter is sometimes.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, no butter. No cheese. No insulin. No medicine. No planes. No trade. No coins. No gravity. No oxygen. No hope.

Or maybe Freddie Mercury will come riding in on his unicorn, leading the invasion of France, and we'll conquer the EU in a single day.

BBC wibbling about the rise of fake news was mildly amusing, given I wanted to watch the Sunday Politics, but it wasn't on today... Homes Under the Hammer was instead.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,799
    Evening PB,

Anyone started stock piling baked beans and soup yet? :D
  • Options
    John_M said:

The electorate is fickle and ungrateful. I fully expect the codicil to Brexit, of whatever stripe, to be PM Jezza, because life is cruel that way.
    Blair who of course backed our participation in ERM of course benefited from ERM failing.

So it would be an ironic twist if decades later lifelong Eurosceptic and Blair opponent Corbyn benefited from Brexit.
  • Options

To link the last conversation to this one (sorry if that is inappropriate...)

Like I said Jewish people were more than entitled to the 8%, those people had mostly lived there a long time. So they get to keep Wales which for the purpose of this hypothetical is 8% of the UK...them to take English lands for their recent arrivals from abroad.

One might say similar thing about several very large population - and border - movements, seven decades ago (not to mention the more recent, and almost complete disappearance of the Jewish diaspora in the Arab world).
    Whatever the historical rights and wrongs (and there are plenty to spread around), the fact remains that there is an established, nuclear armed Jewish state which is not going away, just as there is a dispossessed Palestinian people who are not going away.

Trying to ascribe blame, rather than look for a solution which accommodates both sides, is a futile exercise, IMO.

(Which is not to argue against valid criticism of the actions of the Israeli government.)

• Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, I quite agree. The same thing happens many times, even when an apology or correction is genuine it gets far less attention than the initial "OMG!" tweet.

I really don't think the political class knows what it's doing when it comes to trying to stop fake news. A lot of it is simply generated by ordinary people in a 'chatting down the pub' sort of way. You can't stop people just chatting.

On a lighter note, I was moderately pleased with my summary of the Die Hard plot:
    https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/status/1023503651095146497
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

F1 stuff: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/07/hungary-post-race-analysis-2018.html

Regret not backing him for SPOTY, but there we are.

Still think Kane or suchlike might get it.

Oh dear, surely not an average football player who has achieved zero.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Win (2.52)
    Lose
    Win (2.32)
    Win (lay 3.75)
    Lose
    Lose.
    Well done. Lewis should never be that long before a race weekend starts anywhere.
    Which was my view, although I do admit to some serious doubt after the practice sessions.

• Options
    edited July 2018

John_M said:

Blair who of course backed our participation in ERM of course benefited from ERM failing.

So it would be an ironic twist if decades later lifelong Eurosceptic and Blair opponent Corbyn benefited from Brexit.
    The day we crashed out of the ERM was the firing of the starting gun on 15 years of economic growth, despite all the headlines about it being the end of the world from all the politicians and commentators of the time. I see Brexit going very much the same way, providing we actually leave properly.
  • Options
    Mr. G, SPOTY isn't about achievement, as proven when Button was runner up to Giggs.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, no butter. No cheese. No insulin. No medicine. No planes. No trade. No coins. No gravity. No oxygen. No hope.

Or maybe Freddie Mercury will come riding in on his unicorn, leading the invasion of France, and we'll conquer the EU in a single day.

BBC wibbling about the rise of fake news was mildly amusing, given I wanted to watch the Sunday Politics, but it wasn't on today... Homes Under the Hammer was instead.

Not sure if you know, but the Sunday Politics has been axed. There is a Digital Spy thread on the rights and wrongs of what the BBC are doing:

https://tinyurl.com/ycvyrqwz

Personally I'd have axed Andrew Marr.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

Novo Nordisk, I believe.
    two points - People on this site quite often claim and have domain expertise - as one of our medical doctors I strongly advise Dr Foxy to be more sure of his information as he gets taken seriously on matters medical - promoting silly scares even accidentally is not good.

second point - we make A LOT of insulin in Denmark - under no circumstances would Denmark refuse to export insulin to the uk - UNDER.NO.CIRCUMSTANCES - same goes for colostomy bags and all those other boring medical essentials manufactured here.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

People actually believe these companies will want to kill their businesses , utter bollox, worst case they will do via a non EU country. Most of the world manage to get these things so why would it be an issue for UK. There will be plenty of people happy to take the cash.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Evening PB,

Only wimps and absolute Richard heads
  • Options
    Mr. 86, I'd heard of that but didn't realise it was quite so soon.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    John_M said:

Indeed. Brexit is a lose lose for the Tories - if it goes ahead there will be economic dislocation to some degree, depending on the detail of the final deal (if there is one). If it is stymied by a second referendum the Tory base will be outraged and accusations of betrayal will fill the air.

Brexit is a political curse - it destroys everything it touches. Major and Cameron have fallen victim, and May will certainly follow them in the near future. It now threatens the political system and is putting the union under severe strain.
  • Options

@Morris_Dancer And look at how many retweets that tweet has compared to one they are replying to. What a joke twitter is sometimes.

I truly believe that Twitter caters for people who enjoy the frisson of self alarm.

Where Brexiteers (I'm using this as shorthand for the mad Twitter variety) go wrong is likening the scare stories to the Millenium bug. I'm one of the many people who worked hard to port software, remove logic bombs and so on to ensure that there were no problems.

However, the Y2K issue was tangible; we could actually bid on remedying problems in 'N' lines of code, where N was a large number. We couldn't ignore it or leave those remedies to the last minute.

The EU and UK can agree a deal at the stroke of a pen, at the 11th hour (pick your cliche of choice), so it's probably not yet time for us to quake in our boots.

A true 'no deal' Brexit, in the sense of no interim or even emergency measures would be calamitous for all parties; it would certainly poison relations for a long time (of course Remain will blame the Brexiteers, Brexiteers will blame the EU, rinse and repeat ad nauseam).
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Evening PB,

Evening Malc,

If we run out of everything after we Leave would you still share your last Rollo with me? :D
  • Options

Mr. G, SPOTY isn't about achievement, as proven when Button was runner up to Giggs.

MD, very true , plenty of numpties out there for sure
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Evening PB,

Evening Malc,

If we run out of everything after we Leave would you still share your last Rollo with me? :D
    Gin, You will be the first to receive an emergency package of turnips.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

People actually believe these companies will want to kill their businesses , utter bollox, worst case they will do via a non EU country. Most of the world manage to get these things so why would it be an issue for UK. There will be plenty of people happy to take the cash.
    I think the issue is more of regulatory requirements and licensing than travel time, and there are still 7 months to prepare for those. Nonetheless we do need to get a move on. I suspect that a true No Deal is highly improbable, with Minimal Deal emergency regulatory provision, as part of Transition to WTO.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Evening PB,

Evening Malc,

:D
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

But the Tories, in their very stupid referendum, forgot to ask the electorate what sort of Brexit they wanted. I am pretty sure that most people who voted Leave did not want the sort of Brexit that wrecked the economy, brought about food shortages and will probably end up with civil unrest. It was Mrs May and her cronies who decided that that was what Brexit meant.

And it is the Conservatives who will have to pay the price for that.

If they were a pragmatic party, as they were once upon a time, they would put their hands up, plead guilty and work to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

Indeed, Malc. Listening to some of these idiots it's a wonder that any country outside of the EU exists at all.
  • Options
    Acorn_AntiquesAcorn_Antiques Posts: 196
    edited July 2018

From the sunlit uplands of a bold, vibrant economic powerhouse making deals with emerging economies all around the world to 'better than totally catastrophic' ...

Previous remark not intended as a prediction of what I think *will* happen, merely as part of response to the one before that. FWIW, I don't know where on the scale between insignificant and serious any disruption from no deal might be, but it certainly won't be catastrophic. For example, 70% of the UK food supply is home produced or non-EU, and the remainder isn't all going to get instantly cut off overnight. Even *if* there are problems then nobody is going to go hungry because of them.

There's a particular problem, from the EU enthusiasts' point of view, with the fact that getting out of the thing has been a drag, a bore and altogether rather a large pain in the arse (and one that's been preceded by literally decades of long, tedious arguments over whether to stay or go to begin with.) Given what's already happened then, if the Government does finally succeed in getting us out completely, what percentage of the general population is going to want to go through the entire rigmarole - of arguing about the subject for X number of years, and then negotiating accession for Y number of years after that, and with the unappetising prospect of having to swallow the Euro thrown in for good measure at the end of it - for a second time?

Continuity Remainers need one of three things to happen: for the Brexit process to somehow be halted; for the end point to be Norway + CU, in which case they could say "we're effectively in anyway, except we don't have a seat at the conference table anymore - we might as well rejoin"; or for the implementation of a hard Brexit to go so very, very badly that they can persuade a decent chunk of the Leave voters of their error, and build momentum to go back in, from there (assuming said angry voters don't pin the blame on the EU rather than the UK, of course.)

If the Brexit apocalypse turns into empty supermarket shelves for months and thousands of people dying through lack of essential medicines, then that might well be sufficient. If it transpires to consist of a brief shortage of salad vegetables then that won't be enough to change anyone's mind.

If we leave the EU without maintaining a close association to it, and the whole thing doesn't go immediately and horribly wrong, then Rejoining will assume a similar place in the national discourse to Republicanism. Somewhere between a fifth and a third of people might think it a good idea in theory, if asked about the subject by a pollster, but the numbers who actually care about it enough to try to make it happen would be minuscule.

It's then a matter of what's more likely to come first: a UK application to go back into the EU, or the collapse of the EU itself under the weight of its own problems.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

surby said:

- are full of energy
    - make us feel good

I think the issue is more of regulatory requirements and licensing than travel time, and there are still 7 months to prepare for those. Nonetheless we do need to get a move on. I suspect that a true No Deal is highly improbable, with Minimal Deal emergency regulatory provision, as part of Transition to WTO.
    Exactly and hard to imagine EU would want people in UK dying because they were being pig headed. They could do an emergency order in a day stating that all existing pre agreed deals remain valid, only new ones need negotiated.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018
    tlg86 said:

Not sure if you know, but the Sunday Politics has been axed. There is a Digital Spy thread on the rights and wrongs of what the BBC are doing:

They were supposed to be switching off the BBC Parliament channel during the parliamentary recess - with it just showing coverage of Parliament and the devolved assemblies while they are sitting and also axing all bespoke programmes. However it is still broadcasting and the schedule suggests it will continue for another week at least, Perhaps they have just forgotten to switch it off?

Their Sunday afternoon CSPAN coverage of US politics will be a loss when it goes.

Still they do have to find savings so they can afford to pay Gary Lineker's salary.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I truly believe that Twitter caters for people who enjoy the frisson of self alarm.

Where Brexiteers (I'm using this as shorthand for the mad Twitter variety) go wrong is likening the scare stories to the Millenium bug. I'm one of the many people who worked hard to port software, remove logic bombs and so on to ensure that there were no problems.

However, the Y2K issue was tangible; we could actually bid on remedying problems in 'N' lines of code, where N was a large number. We couldn't ignore it or leave those remedies to the last minute.

The EU and UK can agree a deal at the stroke of a pen, at the 11th hour (pick your cliche of choice), so it's probably not yet time for us to quake in our boots.

A true 'no deal' Brexit, in the sense of no interim or even emergency measures would be calamitous for all parties; it would certainly poison relations for a long time (of course Remain will blame the Brexiteers, Brexiteers will blame the EU, rinse and repeat ad nauseam).
    But this is surely a self denying prophecy (is that a thing).

Yes a true no deal Brexit would be calamitous for all parties. Thus a true no deal Brexit won't happen.

Nobody not even JRM wants a true no deal Brexit. People who back a no deal Brexit expect a minimal deal to deal with very basic issues and that would surely happen. Even if someone says right now it won't.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

tlg86 said:

They were supposed to be switching off the BBC Parliament channel during the parliamentary recess - with it just showing coverage of Parliament and the devolved assemblies while they are sitting and also axing all bespoke programmes. However it is still broadcasting and the schedule suggests it will continue for another week at least, Perhaps they have just forgotten to switch it off?

Their Sunday afternoon CSPAN coverage of US politics will be a loss when it goes.

Still they do have to find savings so they can afford to pay Gary Lineker's salary.
    The switch off was supposed to happen from August. Not sure why Sunday Politics etc stopped mid July.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    With no drugs after Brexit, how will doctors treat Trump Anxiety Disorder?
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/07/29/us-therapists-see-increase-patients-trump-anxiety-disorder
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    PClipp said:

But the Tories, in their very stupid referendum, forgot to ask the electorate what sort of Brexit they wanted. I am pretty sure that most people who voted Leave did not want the sort of Brexit that wrecked the economy, brought about food shortages and will probably end up with civil unrest. It was Mrs May and her cronies who decided that that was what Brexit meant.

If they were a pragmatic party, as they were once upon a time, they would put their hands up, plead guilty and work to remain in the EU.
    They haven't been pragmatic since before Mad Thatch left office. Her successors have been more extreme than she dared to be.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,645
    A question for a wet Sunday evening: How would a crash-out No Deal Brexit rank against the major crises this country has faced in the past 100 years?

Here’s my top 10 post-WW1 UK crises list, in order of severity based on a purely personal subjective assessment of the impact of each on the well-being, economy, reputation, and political life of the country:

Year* Crisis
    1940 Norway, Fall of France, Dunkirk, Battle of Britain, the Blitz
    1929 Great Depression
    1956 Suez Crisis
    1974 Three-day week
    1938 Munich
    1942 Fall of Singapore
    1926 General Strike
    2007 Global Financial Crisis
    1976 IMF loan
    1992 Black Wednesday
    (* Start year for those which lasted more than a year)

Others which didn’t quite make my top 10 include: Black Monday, the Iraq War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Ulster Troubles, the Falklands, the Abdication crisis. What have I missed? Or misplaced?

Anyhow, I could see No Deal Brexit hitting 3rd or 4th on this list, maybe even 2nd.

Devout Leavers will no doubt not expect it to make the list at all - dream on suckers! :wink:
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Will the disruption of drug supplies post-Brexit affect the performance of the cyclists?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    tlg86 said:

I agree. Keep Sunday Politics and move it into the Marr slot.

Alternatively replace Marr with someone who does their research before asking questions and follows up the answers with further probing questions.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sorry but that is ridiculous. The Israelis did not force themselves in they migrated legally. Many were decades before. You've chosen a cut off date that would be the equivalent to Windrush. Many of those in the post war census would be the children or grandchildren of migrants born there and have every right to a claim.

Do you consider the Windrush generation and their descendents not to be legitimate or have a claim to be here?

Similarly there has been Muslim migration to this country which was lawful. Are the Muslim descendants and migrants here not legitimate? Do you oppose it as an act or war?

You are using the language and attitudes of the EDL.
    I think you are getting confused between living in a country and having some form of claim on the land to form your own country.

Firstly the windrush generation are British, so it is like a person from Wales moving to England. British people moved to a part of Britain.

Secondly the local population were not in control of their immigration policies, the immigration was forced on them, they did not get a say in it.

Thirdly they were from all different dates they did not all suddenly move in in 1891, so the vast majority of them had not been there the length of time the Windrush generation had been here. Using your model the thousands of recent foreign that turned up just before partition somehow deserved the land from those that have lived there for many generations.

TBH I think the EDL would more likely make the slip up about thinking the windrush generation were not British to begin with and I think you will find it would be more than just the EDL that would have a problem if tens of millions (to match equivalent immigration to existing population in Palestine) of Muslim immigrants were coming to Britain to set up a country here. Don't worry though a very small percentage of the eventual Muslim population will have been here as long as Windrush so there is no reason to fight back because that would make us the aggressors and at fault.
  • Options

A question for a wet Sunday evening: How would a crash-out No Deal Brexit rank against the major crises this country has faced in the past 100 years?

Here’s my top 10 post-WW1 UK crises list, in order of severity based on a purely personal subjective assessment of the impact of each on the well-being, economy, reputation, and political life of the country:

Year* Crisis
    1929 Great Depression
    1956 Suez Crisis
    1974 Three-day week
    1938 Munich
    1942 Fall of Singapore
    1926 General Strike
    1976 IMF loan
    1992 Black Wednesday

Others which didn’t quite make my top 10 include: Black Monday, the Iraq War, the Cuban Missile Crisis, Ulster Troubles, the Falklands, the Abdication crisis. What have I missed? Or misplaced?

Anyhow, I could see No Deal Brexit hitting 3rd or 4th on this list, maybe even 2nd.

Devout Leavers will no doubt not expect it to make the list at all - dream on suckers! :wink:

You missed the immediate post-WWI crash, from '19-'21, which has lapsed from the national consciousness.

I don't know where to place it exactly, but the recognition that the sun had set on the British Empire had a profound effect on my parent's generation.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

They haven't been pragmatic since before Mad Thatch left office. Her successors have been more extreme than she dared to be.
    Yes indeed. I think that last time the Tories could be said to be pragmatic - in the sense of gong with the tide, instead of with their own prejudices - was back in the days of Churchill, when they accepted the Welfare State.
  • Options

Will the disruption of drug supplies post-Brexit affect the performance of the cyclists?

Very good Alastair. That could be the caption under a Matt cartoon of some cyclists talking to their team doctors.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Football is bigger than cycling this year
  • Options

Year* Crisis
    1929 Great Depression
    1956 Suez Crisis
    1974 Three-day week
    1938 Munich
    1942 Fall of Singapore
    1926 General Strike
    1976 IMF loan
    1992 Black Wednesday

Well, Brexit isn't akin to the Second World War for goodness' sake, so I think we can take some of the more disastrous scenarios out of the game.

Taking your list for granted (others will doubtless pick the order apart a bit) I'd put it somewhere below the General Strike. What finally transpires might be significantly disruptive or it might all be a bit of a damp squib, but all the panic about mass hospital deaths and civil unrest that's been circulating recently is nonsense.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Evening PB,

Evening Malc,

Have I been relegated to the back of the queue for your much prized comestible?

On SPOTY - Clearly Kane has no chance - won nothing and vast swathes of the Jezzbollah will vote against a Spurs player who is the hero to a Jewish associated club.

Hamilton is handicapped by his tax exile status. Might be a very open SPOTY contest this year.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Sporting dominance for the EU in the Tour de France.
This discussion has been closed.