Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just out: new PB/Polling Matters survey from Opinium on politi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited July 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just out: new PB/Polling Matters survey from Opinium on political ideologies/systems

PB /Opinium: Based on your knowledge, do you have a positive or negative view of the following political ideologies or systems? (net positive)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    If you ask the average man on the street what liberal democracy is he will probably tell you it's the party that used to be run by that Charlie Kennedy lad, but hasn't heard much of them in recent years.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Not liking capitalism is the equivalent of not liking your job. It might piss you off and treat you unfairly at times but it's brought you a nice old life.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited July 2018
    FPT:
    Foxy said:

Either the plan is to be beastly to foreign visitors, or perhaps the British queue has free tea and jammie dodgers to welcome Brits back from forign parts.
    Surely because of the Ireland Act it would have to be a separate line for British and Irish passports?
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2018
    SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Had drinks with a smart, committed old lefty friend tonight. I despair of the Brexit-torn Tories and their Aspergery leader, he despairs of the revolting Corbynites and the now-officially-racist Labour party.

We both agreed we'd be happier if we, as a nation, were led by either Blair or Cameron (with the other as Opposition). And these are men we previously despised.

Strange days.

As a Labour party person, I despise Blair and , in fact, I think he should go on a visit to the Hague. Ironically, I have nothing against Cameron. I know he is a Tory and as Tories go, he is quite acceptable.

Of course, the fake news is that SeanT has a "lefty" friend.
  • Options
    I am truly surprised Sajid Javid did not propose that in the first place. He has been saying anything and everything to the Tory membership. How did this opportunity slip by ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Had drinks with a smart, committed old lefty friend tonight. I despair of the Brexit-torn Tories and their Aspergery leader, he despairs of the revolting Corbynites and the now-officially-racist Labour party.

We both agreed we'd be happier if we, as a nation, were led by either Blair or Cameron (with the other as Opposition). And these are men we previously despised.

Strange days.

As a Labour party person, I despise Blair and , in fact, I think he should go on a visit to the Hague. Ironically, I have nothing against Cameron. I know he is a Tory and as Tories go, he is quite acceptable.

Politics is broken. As another Labour person, Blair is still the best PM of my lifetime. Cameron is the worst.

Glad we’re in the same party. Just.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Politics is broken. As another Labour person, Blair is still the best PM of my lifetime. Cameron is the worst.

Cameron could not possibly be worse than this one , and certainly not worse than the witch !
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FPT the passport thing, TMay is such an idiot, she has no common touch, she entirely lacks a sense of the popular battles to fight. No one with an IQ over 40 cares if they have to go in passport queues with other people, they care that they don't have to wait over 5 minutes - and with modern face-recognition technology, that is all it should, and will, take.

I'm quite liking Javid. I see no better choice. I like his cullions in confronting Pakistani/Muslim grooming for what it is: racist.

Get rid of TMay once she has sold us her shit Brexit, then install Javid so he can win the next GE and negotiate a better deal over time.

Facial recognition doesn’t work. The e-gates at Heathrow actually have a human monitoring six at a time and checking the person at the gate matches their passport photo.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

FPT the passport thing, TMay is such an idiot, she has no common touch, she entirely lacks a sense of the popular battles to fight. No one with an IQ over 40 cares if they have to go in passport queues with other people, they care that they don't have to wait over 5 minutes - and with modern face-recognition technology, that is all it should, and will, take.

I'm quite liking Javid. I see no better choice. I like his cullions in confronting Pakistani/Muslim grooming for what it is: racist.

Get rid of TMay once she has sold us her shit Brexit, then install Javid so he can win the next GE and negotiate a better deal over time.

Facial recognition doesn’t work. The e-gates at Heathrow actually have a human monitoring six at a time and checking the person at the gate matches their passport photo.
    Let's call it human-powered facial recognition.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Polling heaven for PBers:

https://pollofpolls.eu/

Editorial summary: centre-right doing well in most places, far right off the boil, centre-left doing badly (there are exceptions to all of these). Looks like increased EPP (Christian Democrat) dominance in the European Parliament next year.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Either the plan is to be beastly to foreign visitors, or perhaps the British queue has free tea and jammie dodgers to welcome Brits back from forign parts.
    Surely because of the Ireland Act it would have to be a separate line for British and Irish passports?
    It should be British + commonwealth realms (although that might not be a popular idea amongst Britons on flights from Sydney!)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    surby said:

Jonathan said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Cameron could not possibly be worse than this one , and certainly not worse than the witch !
    He caused this and ran away. May is shovelling his shit. I would take Maggie over either in a heartbeat.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    Jose seems to be losing the plot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6003361/amp/Jose-Mourinho-delivers-damning-verdict-Manchester-Uniteds-tour.html?ico=amp_articleRelated

Not certain to be first in the sack race, but may be worth laying ManU win on the 10th. Except it is Puel's Leicester.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I see jezza hosted and hung out with some more people who he,... Cough. . totally disagreed with.... Is front page news in the Times...
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2018
    RobD said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

It should be British + commonwealth realms (although that might not be a popular idea amongst Britons on flights from Sydney!)
    Shame we gave up freedom of movement to the Commonwealth in 1973 - but that is hardly practical now as we require visas for some Commonwealth tourists.

I think the May lanes would be British and perhaps Irish passports only given the CTA
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,303
    Jonathan said:

surby said:

Jonathan said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

He caused this and ran away. May is shovelling his shit. I would take Maggie over either in a heartbeat.
    "First you gave the Leavers their referendum and then you let them go and win it!"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    No surprise to see Social Democracy top. Most people don't have much idea what these terms mean.
    But to be social is good, yes? As is democratic. So, of course people approve of it.
    All the others are terms of abuse, apart from Lib Dem, which doesn't even earn that distinction.
    Would be interesting if the pejorative term were Social Democrat, rather than Blairite.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2018
    One comment on the last thread

'Do they really want a return to the killings?'

There will no return to the killings, because we have not stopped, its just a total change of pace as regards political or sectarian violence. its a bullshit question.

Those remainers who knock on as if somehow leaving the EU is going to plunge this place back to the 70s and early 80s. Seriously, go wise up.

On something actually more sensible. Well over a year ago I mentioned three names as regards the category of Who's in it for Russia with Trump. Paul Manafort, Carter Page & Felix Sater.

Manafort: Some within the US intelligence community think Manafort may have been working for Russian intelligence agencies whilst part of the Trump campaign.

Page: an FOI request about the Feds request to monitor him has resulted in it being on redacted record that there was suspicion that he was an asset working for Russian intelligence.

Sater: Linked to the Russian mob and dodgy cash. The overlap between the Russian state, its intelligence agencies and Russian organised crime is considerable so that you barely see the join.

Picture emerging. Not just mere contacts and doing some deals, we are now at suspected as working for Russian intelligence.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2018
    surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Labour moderates like Cameron because he wasn't really a Tory, he was a social and economic liberal. Blair was more conservative than he was, if only marginally.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353
    SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Not that strange. We never know what we've got til it's gone and it's human nature to bank the dull good stuff and get overly angered about faults we only really have the chance to moan about because we're used to things functioning. Then, too late we realise things can get really ugly, very fast when we're led by the malign, the stupid or those who are both.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    AndyJS said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Labour moderates like Cameron because he wasn't really a Tory.
    If being the Tory PM of a majority Tory government is not enough to be considered a true Tory, rather than consider that what being a Tory is changes a bit, then what hope do most people have?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Labour moderates like Cameron because he wasn't really a Tory, he was a social and economic liberal. Blair was more conservative than he was, if only marginally.
    Socially, yes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

He might be peaking a bit soon, although he has done a passable job of making his mark quite quickly given he could need to step up at any moment, should the situation arise.

Would he be trusted by harder leavers to negotiate a better deal over time though? Some outright state former remainers cannot understand the leaver mindset, even if they try presumably, so how much would he need to be beholden to them in order to win the contest in the first place? Which would restrict his ability to be flexible enough on other matters as needed to win the GE.
  • Options
    I am actually interested that communism is indeed rated so badly, as with the stereotype of the youngster who has just discovered communism at Uni, the impression is sometimes had that as it has been decades since the Soviet Union fell ordinary people might not have the same level of antipathy for communism as those who grew up with it.

Bit seriously, as people have noted, including Keiran, the terms mean little to a lot of people. I'd struggle to concisely define many of the, (of course concisely doing anything for me is a challenge).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"Middle-class cocaine users helping drug gangs destroy society, says Met chief"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/31/middle-class-cocaine-users-care-planet-ignore-drugs-destroy/
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    MJW said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Not that strange. We never know what we've got til it's gone and it's human nature to bank the dull good stuff and get overly angered about faults we only really have the chance to moan about because we're used to things functioning. Then, too late we realise things can get really ugly, very fast when we're led by the malign, the stupid or those who are both.
    Well yes. At one point everyone hated Dave because of what he did to the taxation upon on cornish pasties.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Y0kel said:

There will no return to the killings, because we have not stopped, its just a total change of pace as regards political or sectarian violence. its a bullshit question.

Those remainers who knock on as if somehow leaving the EU is going to plunge this place back to the 70s and early 80s. Seriously, go wise up.

On something actually more sensible. Well over a year ago I mentioned three names as regards the category of Who's in it for Russia with Trump. Paul Manafort, Carter Page & Felix Sater.

Manafort: Some within the US intelligence community think Manafort may have been working for Russian intelligence agencies whilst part of the Trump campaign.

Page: an FOI request about the Feds request to monitor him has resulted in it being on redacted record that there was suspicion that he was an asset working for Russian intelligence.

Sater: Linked to the Russian mob and dodgy cash. The overlap between the Russian state, its intelligence agencies and Russian organised crime is considerable so that you barely see the join.

Picture emerging. Not just mere contacts and doing some deals, we are now at suspected as working for Russian intelligence.

You are absolutely right that things have simply wound down of late, the 2009 pizza killings aside, but quite how you can be so sure that there will not be a return to something resembling the Troubles if we start to erect sangars up and down the BCPs is, frankly, not enhancing any reputation for security matters-related insigt.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Erm, no.

I never understand why people STILL say Cameron was a "moderate" or "progressive". When examples are asked for, all people ever come up with is gay marriage. On economic issues, there's still a good argument that his policies were the most right-wing of any PM since the war.

Theresa May is not the full shilling, but I'd rather have her over Cameron any day of the week.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2018
    And I can't think of a single domestic policy area where Blair was more conservative than Cameron was (I'll grant you there's an argument for foreign policy, depending on how one defines a conservative foreign policy).
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    AndyJS said:

O/T

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/31/middle-class-cocaine-users-care-planet-ignore-drugs-destroy/

"Politicians grandstanding by doubling down on failed prohibition policies helping drugs gangs destroy society, says bloke on the Internet."
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,353
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

surby said:

SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

Labour moderates like Cameron because he wasn't really a Tory.
    If being the Tory PM of a majority Tory government is not enough to be considered a true Tory, rather than consider that what being a Tory is changes a bit, then what hope do most people have?
    I hated Cameron at the time because he was very much a Tory, and a smug, patronising one at that. I still believe the decisions he made on coming to power in needlessly fetishising the deficit and cutting when and what was in his political interests rather than what was in our long term economic interests are partly why we're in this mess.

I would however take him over a woman trying to defy economic gravity by waging an inept culture war, and a man who's so stupid, stubborn and vain that he'd rather distress people by subjecting them to racism than examine his own beliefs.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surby said:

I am truly surprised Sajid Javid did not propose that in the first place. He has been saying anything and everything to the Tory membership. How did this opportunity slip by ?
    “Passports” begins with “p” and it takes a while to work through the alphabet?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

You are absolutely right that things have simply wound down of late, the 2009 pizza killings aside, but quite how you can be so sure that there will not be a return to something resembling the Troubles if we start to erect sangars up and down the BCPs is, frankly, not enhancing any reputation for security matters-related insigt.
    1. Because there wont be a military or military-like presence on the border in the first place with Brexit.
    2. Most of the plans call for the customs efforts upstream not on the border itself
    3. The Provos have no desire to start up again. Anybody who has been interested defected years ago to the splinter groups or has been doing a bit of work on the side for them
    4. The overall terror group position has not changed and is not likely to, they exist but are reasonably well kept in a pen

The pizza killings? Since 2009, terror related incidents

40+ gun and bomb attacks on police and prison officers, a number of which have left dead or injured.
    Attempted rocket attacks on police stations have occurred.
    Plenty of killings by terror groups within their own communities

It still exists
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

And I can't think of a single domestic policy area where Blair was more conservative than Cameron was (I'll grant you there's an argument for foreign policy, depending on how one defines a conservative foreign policy).

Blair introduced tuition fees. Cameron merely increased them.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

'Do they really want a

1. Because there wont be a military or military-like presence on the border in the first place with Brexit.
    2. Most of the plans call for the customs efforts upstream not on the border itself
    3. The Provos have no desire to start up again. Anybody who has been interested defected years ago to the splinter groups or has been doing a bit of work on the side for them
    4. The overall terror group position has not changed and is not likely to, they exist but are reasonably well kept in a pen

The pizza killings? Since 2009, terror related incidents

40+ gun and bomb attacks on police and prison officers, a number of which have left dead or injured.
    Attempted rocket attacks on police stations have occurred.
    Plenty of killings by terror groups within their own communities

It still exists
    I am agreeing with you that it still exists. I am not agreeing with you that any kind of border infrastructure will not invite and galvanise any of those disparate groups to recommence more intense activities.

You say there will be no military or military-like presence and it will all be done via technology. Well I hope so - but if not, if there is any inspection hut or customs infrastructure, you will need (twenty?) three battalions on roulement to protect them.

As I have said on many posts on NI, if there really is an all-tech solution, then there is a chance that it scrapes through. If not, we are in a very bad place. Again.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

3. The Provos have no desire to start up again.
    Isn’t that what everyone was saying about the Officials fifty-odd years ago?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

On the one hand he is agreeing that the groups still exist and on the other that they will ignore what would be their greatest recruiting sergeant
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

It still exists

I am agreeing with you that it still exists. I am not agreeing with you that any kind of border infrastructure will not invite and galvanise any of those disparate groups to recommence more intense activities.

You say there will be no military or military-like presence and it will all be done via technology. Well I hope so - but if not, if there is any inspection hut or customs infrastructure, you will need (twenty?) three battalions on roulement to protect them.

As I have said on many posts on NI, if there really is an all-tech solution, then there is a chance that it scrapes through. If not, we are in a very bad place. Again.
    There is no large appetite to return to conflict, those who are wedded to doing things by the gun, or supporting such methodology actively or passively, are already there. They won't suddenly expand by hundreds or thousands. The status of NI in the EU doesn't change the in your blood allegiances for most, and it doesn't to turn them from peace loving hippies to armed activists whatever those allegiances.

I did not say it will be all done by technology.

What it will be done by is civilians and as much as viable will be done away from the most symbolic points, i.e. right on the border, which still has large tracts of territory hostile to anyone seen as working for the sate. Its be estimated by people in the haulage trade that there will be around 5 to 6 main transit routes for commercial cross border traffic and you just take that route. Legit traders will work with it because its trade.

Doing checks say 10 miles North of the Newry/Dundalk border or indeed up at he port of Belfast which is a major GB transit point for Irish/UK trade is no different. Belfast Port Authorities are already happy they can accommodate and manage. Of course they would, where people see hassle or loaded with political symbolism, they see it both as a hurdle that just has to be dealt for their continued profitability and they also know someone has to help pay for it.

• Options
    rpjs said:

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

The Officials have been on ceasefire since 1972. Except for the faction that formed the INLA, of course.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    @Y0kel - Do you expect a border poll in the next few years?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

And what massive part did the Officials as an organisation play in the near 30 years of shit between 69 and 98?

If you have no desire to go back to conflict what are you recruiting for?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

On the one hand he is agreeing that the groups still exist and on the other that they will ignore what would be their greatest recruiting sergeant
    That comment is patently misreading what I have said. The groups who still exist and are out trying to do political violence will try whatever, that doesn't mean they will suddenly get a large influx of support or activists.

The 'mainstream' republican movement as represented by Sinn Fein have made no suggestion of a return to political violence, none. No intelligence or security assessment has suggested a major uplift is likely.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Danny565 said:

Public spending as a percentage of GDP was higher under Cameron than Blair.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Danny565 said:

Public spending as a percentage of GDP was higher under Cameron than Blair.
    That’s an unfair comparison. You need to look at the starting point and the trend
  • Options
    The debate already seems to be shifting towards the "how".

http://www.irishnews.com/news/politicalnews/2018/07/31/news/arlene-foster-claims-sinn-fe-in-can-t-answer-basic-questions-about-a-united-ireland-1396037/

Mrs Foster has accused Sinn Féin of not being able to answers practical questions about a united Ireland.

"Whilst there have been plenty of republican sound-bites about a border poll, one interview exposed that Sinn Fein has no answers to basic questions about a united Ireland such as what happens (to) our free-at-point-of-need health system," she said.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    TOPPING said:

Ending up with a united Ireland would be the only thing that would make me think Brexit was worth it.
  • Options

@Y0kel - Do you expect a border poll in the next few years?

Sinn Fein today or yesterday said they wouldn't want one short term and no one else of substantial support seems to be chasing it. Once Brexit is done and bedding in Sinn Fein will probably move to call for one as they may not succeed in an actual vote but may peel off enough people are Unionist but dislike Brexit, and therefore disinclined to vote, to make it close run thing.

In that they'll probably be disappointed. Support for a United Ireland, even with Brexit looming varies between 30 and 40% depending on the poll. Thats a big gap to close. What many don't realise is the concept of 'Northern Irish' which is just as common a self designation as those who consider themselves Irish. Thats the people that those pitching for a United Ireland will have to persuade because well over 40% the population self designates as British first so they probably aren't going to be persuaded.

Pro-Union blocs needs maybe 40% or even less of those who self designate as Northern Irish to pull a comfortable majority. Not, I suspect, a huge task.

• Options
    Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

rpjs said:

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Y0kel said:

That comment is patently misreading what I have said. The groups who still exist and are out trying to do political violence will try whatever, that doesn't mean they will suddenly get a large influx of support or activists.

The 'mainstream' republican movement as represented by Sinn Fein have made no suggestion of a return to political violence, none. No intelligence or security assessment has suggested a major uplift is likely.
    You're in the ODC territory.

The 'Mainstream" republican movement can do whatever the hell it likes. It's the others you need to worry about. As Gerry Adams showed the other day.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,507
    edited August 2018
    SeanT said:

BOOZY ANECDOTE ALERT

Strange days.

If we are playing harking back to the good old days, please can we have Maggie back? Even dead, she'd be better than May
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Ending up with a united Ireland would be the only thing that would make me think Brexit was worth it.
    Would be vaguely irritating for the green army (and perhaps the other lot) although no one I'm sure wants to interrupt the march of history.
  • Options
    The Calexit campaign leader, who is based in Russia, is now proposing that half the territory of California be turned into an autonomous Native American nation that would act as a buffer zone between the USA and the independent California Republic.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/31/calexit-supporters-revamp-campaign-with-plan-to-convert-half-california-into-autonomous-native-american-nation.html
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited August 2018
    One of my favourite takes of today's Labour/Corbyn are anti-Semites are the shocking revelations he went to a meeting where a Jewish Holocaust survivor was allowed to speak freely.

Edit: Also, yay new podcast.
  • Options

One of my favourite takes of today's Labour/Corbyn are anti-Semites are the shocking revelations he went to a meeting where a Jewish Holocaust survivor was allowed to speak freely.

Phew.

We were wondering when the 24-hr Jew guy would be back on.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Phew.

If it isn't my favourite Islamophobe...

Also, boo no new podcast until tomorrow.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

http://www.irishnews.com/news/politicalnews/2018/07/31/news/arlene-foster-claims-sinn-fe-in-can-t-answer-basic-questions-about-a-united-ireland-1396037/

Mrs Foster has accused Sinn Féin of not being able to answers practical questions about a united Ireland.

"Whilst there have been plenty of republican sound-bites about a border poll, one interview exposed that Sinn Fein has no answers to basic questions about a united Ireland such as what happens (to) our free-at-point-of-need health system," she said.

75 euro a night to stay in hospital, 50 euro to see a GP and 100 euro to go to A&E unless your household income is below 17000 euro (yes that low for a couple with two kids) and you qualify for a medical card. And yes those charges even apply to kids over 8 (unless they have cancer so are exempt from these charges) and pensioners.

Hello Dublin bye bye NHS?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

They are a bit more complex than that. The humans are helping train a background AI.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

I thought middle class cocaine uses bought from the dark web these days and stayed well away from gangs of any sort
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Shame we gave up freedom of movement to the Commonwealth in 1973 - but that is hardly practical now as we require visas for some Commonwealth tourists.

I think the May lanes would be British and perhaps Irish passports only given the CTA
    From a practical perspective, I can't think of any better way to drive business out of London than to require French bankers to spend 45 minutes in a queue
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Phew.

Do you know plenty of islamophobes for me to be your favourite?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

75 euro a night to stay in hospital, 50 euro to see a GP and 100 euro to go to A&E unless your household income is below 17000 euro (yes that low for a couple with two kids) and you qualify for a medical card. And yes those charges even apply to kids over 8 (unless they have cancer so are exempt from these charges) and pensioners.

Hello Dublin bye bye NHS?
    Don’t most Irish people carry supplementary insurance for those costs? Given that Ireland is now wealthier per capita than the UK, I’m sure Dublin could nationalize that supplementary insurance to sweeten the deal for the North.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I thought middle class cocaine uses bought from the dark web these days and stayed well away from gangs of any sort
    Unless they were planning on dealing out big amounts themselves I don't imagine they'd have to meet anyone that they might think of as a gang member anyway but someone quite low on the food chain who may buy from the kind of people they would stay well away from or from the darkweb.

It is one of the advantages of legalising say marijuana and maybe other lesser drugs that people retain that fear factor of going to meet someone to buy drugs rather than it becoming normalised for a significant percentage.

Edit: Although I would imagine the dark web must be cutting into profits.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Phew.

I already gave you 1st place, don't let your insecurities wreck the moment for you.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Phew.

I already gave you 1st place, don't let your insecurities wreck the moment for you.
    So you surround yourself with islamophobes so as to judge one of them your favourite.

What an interesting and complex character you are.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Phew.

So you surround yourself with islamophobes so as to judge one of them your favourite.

If telling yourself you are first among many gives you a little kick then I really don't want to get in the way of that...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Phew.

It's like he's playing Islamophobe Pokemon.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Phew.

Hey, everyone has got to have a hobby
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Phew.

It's like he's playing Islamophobe Pokemon.
    Gotta catch em all...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

From a practical perspective, I can't think of any better way to drive business out of London than to require French bankers to spend 45 minutes in a queue
    At Gare du Nord? It doesn't drive them away from Singapore or New York. Since UK will be a 'Third country' does anyone expect the EU to have passport lanes for 'EU and UK Citizens'?
  • Options
    "Remainers have to hope there is a crisis" in order to try to reverse Brexit, Grant pointed out.

He said that this was a "high-risk strategy", because many perceive it as "scaremongering."

Pressure for a second vote "will come with renewed force after summer," predicted Menon, because it will be the last chance for 'Remain' supporters, before the EU and the UK try to reach a deal and the UK parliament votes to ratify it.

According to the Sky TV poll, 78 percent of Britons think that the government is doing a bad job on Brexit, and 42 percent - against 31 percent - think that Brexit will be bad for them.

Grant insisted however that public opinion's "shift towards regret [was] very small."

He noted that Remain led by a few percentage points in recent polls, the trend was similar ahead of the June 2016. And while some Leave voters may turn to Remain, the opposite was also true, especially due to a perception that the EU is "bullying the British".

https://euobserver.com/uk-referendum/142503
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

At Gare du Nord? It doesn't drive them away from Singapore or New York. Since UK will be a 'Third country' does anyone expect the EU to have passport lanes for 'EU and UK Citizens'?
    I've never waited more than five minutes in Singapore. And New York doesn't have Boston offering five minute immigration queues in competition.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

rpjs said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

I've never waited more than five minutes in Singapore. And New York doesn't have Boston offering five minute immigration queues in competition.
    Lucky you! In my experience Singapore is worse than Jakarta. The queuing system is very inefficient - lots of individual lines for single booths - not one long line breaking into short queues near the end. So if you get stuck with a slow officer or a problematic entrant you're snookered.

Why would the UK offer EU citizens something the EU won't offer UK Citizens?
  • Options
    New thread...
This discussion has been closed.