Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay has taken a hammering in YouGov’s “best PM” tracker but C

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay has taken a hammering in YouGov’s “best PM” tracker but Corbyn has dropped by nearly as much

Above is a YouGov table showing all the published “Best PM” ratings since the start of the year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    First. :smiley:
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    We're facing a wholescale collapse of faith in both political parties. Only underlying tribalism is keeping it up.

And yet the Lib dems are nowhere... what a state.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I wonder what significance, if any, there is in the fact that one in fifty respondents are now refusing to answer. Since they're not unsure, presumably they "know" the answer but don't like it and don't want to disclose it.
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

We're facing a wholescale collapse of faith in both political parties. Only underlying tribalism is keeping it up.

How we laughed at the Americans in 2016. 300+ million of you, and the two most suitable people you could find to be President were Clinton and Trump?

And now we have Corbyn and May.

What a state indeed.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,093
    FPT Benpointer "You're never going to support Labour or like Balls whatever TV he does. However, I suspect he's viewed much more positively by the population at large than any current politicians, mainly tbf on the back of his Strictly and other TV performances - he comes across as a genuine guy.

His problem, of course, is that he's not in parliament."

The reason he is viewed much more positively by the population is because he has been expelled from politics by that same population - who now have a better regard for him as a result.

"What der yer wanna ger back ter politics fer? We prefer yer as a wrestler...."
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    On topic: Corbyn's rating has been pretty static since April. Suspect he's already down to the True Believers.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Both leaders have taken a battering but i'm not sure that this is the best measure of that, other than the respective batterings cancel each other out. The two net approval / favourability ratings would be more telling of their declines.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,841
    It'd be interesting to compare these against Brown/Cameron and Blair/Major at a similar period into a parliament.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    In response to @AlistairMeeks (fpt):

"It never ceases to amaze me how many pb posters clutch at their pearls with horror at the thought of a Corbyn government at the same time that the current government is implementing the most extreme and destructive policy of any government in living memory in as cackhanded a manner as possible."

Some of us are bothered by both. Not least because Corbyn will implement a hard Brexit and then add more of his own malicious incompetence on top.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Both leaders have taken a battering but i'm not sure that this is the best measure of that, other than the respective batterings cancel each other out. The two net approval / favourability ratings would be more telling of their declines.

They seem to be saying similar things. Ipsos MORI put May on 30%, Corbyn on 28%.

I wonder what significance, if any, there is in the fact that one in fifty respondents are now refusing to answer. Since they're not unsure, presumably they "know" the answer but don't like it and don't want to disclose it.

I might fall into that camp. I'd view it as the "neither deserve the accolode of Best PM" option; "not sure" would feel a cop out. Or summat.

My eloquence has deserted me.

Down from one in twenty five a week before.....

Surely the "mind yer own bloody business" tendency has always been there?
  • We're facing a wholescale collapse of faith in both political parties. Only underlying tribalism is keeping it up.

Seriously, the first leader with some charisma who comes along preaching post-Brexit sunlit uplands without taxing us to penury will clean up.

Down from one in twenty five a week before.....

Surely the "mind yer own bloody business" tendency has always been there?
    If you look at the table, it seems to be a recent development.
    Anorak said:

I might fall into that camp. I'd view it as the "neither deserve the accolode of Best PM" option; "not sure" would feel a cop out. Or summat.

As it happens, I would regard this question as quite clearcut: I would pick Theresa May.

I still wouldn't vote for her party.
    Both down 5% over the period. Corbyn down the same, not "nearly as much".

Fake news.

Anorak said:

As it happens, I would regard this question as quite clearcut: I would pick Theresa May.

After reflecting on that, you are of course correct.

Both down 5% over the period. Corbyn down the same, not "nearly as much".

Fake news.

Down more as a proportion of his starting point. Corbyn down more!!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    Very good commentary on that court case.
    https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/08/01/the-tommy-robinson-judgment-what-does-it-all-mean/
    His barrister admitted at the appeal that he was guilty of the offence in Leeds, the appeal was purely about the process and he faces a retrial.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,102
    What the hell was that? Root run out really stupidly. Arrgh.
    Oh, Joe. Why did you do that?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,090
    Aaaand Root does what Root does best - get a brilliant half century and find an imaginative way to throw away his wicket.
    So far, India haven't taken a single catch. Two clean bowled, one leg before and one run out.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,234
    ydoethur said:

Aaaand Root does what Root does best - get a brilliant half century and find an imaginative way to throw away his wicket.

Had some assistance, in this case.
    Anorak said:

I would blame YJB. And the brilliance of Kohli of course. To hit the stumps running and turning like that is just superb.
    Joe Root you prat!
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

I would blame YJB. And the brilliance of Kohli of course. To hit the stumps running and turning like that is just superb.
    Yep. Utterly unnecessary to go for a second run, but what a throw!
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924
    In the universities telling us what is blatantly obvious - Warwick university have mapped the areas most impacted by austerity with Brexit voting outcome https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/research/centres/cage/manage/publications/381-2018_fetzer.pdf

Unsurprisingly the greater the austerity impact the more likely people voted out. So it was all Osbourne's fault ..
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

Yep. Utterly unnecessary to go for a second run, but what a throw!
    Seeing Kohli bat at Headingley was just a delight. He really is a superstar.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

That's what makes it more imaginative.

I think I am right in saying it is a year since his last Test century, in which time he has scored 11 half centuries. That is a real issue.
    eek said:

In the universities telling us what is blatantly obvious - Warwick university have mapped the areas most impacted by austerity with Brexit voting outcome https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/research/centres/cage/manage/publications/381-2018_fetzer.pdf

Unsurprisingly the greater the austerity impact the more likely people voted out. So it was all Osbourne's fault ..

I often find academic articles that have a title ending with a question mark are not clear cut. Otherwise why bother with the question mark? (QTWTAIN, in common parlance)
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

They need to replace Vince with Layla as soon as possible. She might not be an improvement but she can't be worse.
  • It never ceases to amaze me how many pb posters clutch at their pearls with horror at the thought of a Corbyn government at the same time that the current government is implementing the most extreme and destructive policy of any government in living memory in as cackhanded a manner as possible.

The only pearls I possess are pearls of wisdom!
    Bairstow does seem to be liable to lapses in concentration....
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    AndyJS said:

They need to replace Vince with Layla as soon as possible. She might not be an improvement but she can't be worse.
    "[He|She|It] can't be worse" has not proven a terribly reliable prediction of late.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I think I am right in saying it is a year since his last Test century, in which time he has scored 11 half centuries. That is a real issue.
    I think England have rather greater concerns than Root only making 80....
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

He's still averaging 55 in tests. Hardly a crisis.
    edited August 2018
    Aaand Bairstow joins him by playing on unnecessarily.

This really isn't good cricket.

Edit - although I suppose he scored 70 more than Buttler.
    Wheels are off.

All down to Rashid now.....
    ydoethur said:

And now Buttler. England are going to lose this.
    ydoethur said:

And getting worse. C.O.L.L.A.P.S.E.
  • ydoethur said:

Come on, Indi.....er, I mean England!
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

He's still averaging 55 in tests. Hardly a crisis.
    If Joe Root had converted half those scores into centuries, how many matches might that have won (assuming they were worth 60% of the partnerships he put together)?
    Nigelb said:

Wheels are off.

Sam might be the new Curran-cy.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    AndyJS said:

Replace Vince with Lembit, May with JRM, and Cobyn with Abbott.

ydoethur said:

Are you trying to fail the Tebbit Test, Sunil? :neutral:

Incidentally, somebody up top said that Yorkshire were 150-0 and England 69-3. Leaving aside the curse that person put on the team, I would point out the score is Yorkshire 150/2, England 13/2 and South Africa 50/2.

ydoethur said:

Norman Tebbit says hi! ;)
    (Waves)
  • This Corbyn thing. The solution is simple:

1. Expel Hodge, Austin, Jones, Bragg etc - you're either With Us or Against Us
    2. Defuse the anti-semitism issue by pointing out that Jeremy has a Long and Proud History of campaigning against racism. To beat racism you have to know racism hence his schmoozing with new age nazis
    3. Call out May's Brexit disaster - hard brexit would be a disaster, Tory rebels need to come over to support our plans to leave the EEA and CU and thus defeat Tory hard Brexit
    4. Unite behind Him. All we need to do is grant exclusive interviews to mass market news such as Skwarkbox and Alternate Voice, with respected media anchor Aaron Bastani to provide rolling 24 hour TV coverage on Press TV

And hey presto, a Labour Majority of 704.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

This Corbyn thing. The solution is simple:

2. Defuse the anti-semitism issue by pointing out that Jeremy has a Long and Proud History of campaigning against racism. To beat racism you have to know racism hence his schmoozing with new age nazis
    3. Call out May's Brexit disaster - hard brexit would be a disaster, Tory rebels need to come over to support our plans to leave the EEA and CU and thus defeat Tory hard Brexit
    4. Unite behind Him. All we need to do is grant exclusive interviews to mass market news such as Skwarkbox and Alternate Voice, with respected media anchor Aaron Bastani to provide rolling 24 hour TV coverage on Press TV

A kinder, gentler, weirder and deeply confusing kind of politics.

This Corbyn thing. The solution is simple:

Bit early to have broken out the Blue Nun. [very good]
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

(Waves)
    Have you even read the IHRA definition of antisemitism subclause 6 about accusing Jews of loyalty to the Israeli cricket team over England?

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

(Waves)
    Have you even read the IHRA definition of antisemitism subclause 6 about accusing Jews of loyalty to the Israeli cricket team over England?
    It's a bowled definition that has caught out many people. It was a wicket thing to do.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,184
    edited August 2018
    Come on, India!

[Sunil suddenly clutches his head, screaming, as his Tebbit Chip kicks in! Before a more servile expression crosses his face]

Come on, England! Give the caste-botherers hell!

To me, May is trying to adult. I mean she's not very good at it, but at least she's trying.

OTOH, Corbyn has infantilised everything he's touched.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,150
    edited August 2018

To me, May is trying to adult. I mean she's not very good at it, but at least she's trying.

We're heading for Kent suffocating in diesel fumes from trapped Lorries, supermarkets empty of food and factories shutting due to lack of bits. And according to Her Mayesty's Principal Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs we are doing so "by accident".

Not sure that "not very good at it" is sufficient...

edited August 2018
    dr_spyn said:
    It is pleasing to see the Corbynista tactic of obsessively and meticulously trawling through someone's history to extract nuggets of dirt is coming back to bite them in the arse.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    dr_spyn said:
    Boggling...just...there are no words.

Come on, India!

[Sunil suddenly clutches his head, screaming, as his Tebbit Chip kicks in! Before a more servile expression crosses his face]

Come on, England! Give the caste-botherers hell!

Good... goooood!
    dr_spyn said:

Corbyn and McDonnell and an EDM.

ttps://twitter.com/johnjohnstonmi/status/1024688607183994880

Corbyn and McDonnell. We’re all in this together...
  • Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

We're heading for Kent suffocating in diesel fumes from trapped Lorries, supermarkets empty of food and factories shutting due to lack of bits. And according to Her Mayesty's Principal Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs we are doing so "by accident".

Not sure that "not very good at it" is sufficient...

In fairness, Kent is suffocating in diesel fumes from trapped lorries much of the time anyway, so it's not obvious that Brexit is going to make that much difference!
    One other comment to make is that India's over-rate is beyond pathetic. In five and a half hours of play, they've managed 71 overs. Their target is 82.
    Scott_P said:
    Yet more people who don’t understand that “Freedom of Movement” has nothing to do with checking passports at borders.

dr_spyn said:
    Boggling...just...there are no words.
    Scum?
  • We're facing a wholescale collapse of faith in both political parties. Only underlying tribalism is keeping it up.

Seriously, the first leader with some charisma who comes along preaching post-Brexit sunlit uplands without taxing us to penury will clean up.
    Quite possibly, but their popularity won't last.

Somebody has to pay for the ever-increasing numbers of frail elderly people to be spoon fed and have their bottoms wiped. If you're not going to raise taxes then the only alternatives are (a) borrow until you sink under a debt mountain, (b) allow the rest of the state to waste away whilst you syphon off more and more money to pay the bills - or, (c) abandon the frail elderly to die. None of these options, I might venture to suggest, is likely to prove a big vote winner.

And if you do raise taxes then who pays them? Working age people whose finances are often already stretched to breaking point through indebtedness - paying ludicrous rents, or ludicrous mortgages, and with loans and credit cards maxed out, whether to pay for necessities or through an addiction to shopping for crap? Or the elderly themselves, who vote religiously and start banging their sticks one nanosecond after it is suggested they pay any more for anything whatsoever?

This is a problem far more serious and intractable than Brexit, and it's not going away.

Somebody has to pay for the ever-increasing numbers of frail elderly people to be spoon fed and have their bottoms wiped. If you're not going to raise taxes then the only alternatives are (a) borrow until you sink under a debt mountain, (b) allow the rest of the state to waste away whilst you syphon off more and more money to pay the bills - or, (c) abandon the frail elderly to die. None of these options, I might venture to suggest, is likely to prove a big vote winner.

And if you do raise taxes then who pays them? Working age people whose finances are often already stretched to breaking point through indebtedness - paying ludicrous rents, or ludicrous mortgages, and with loans and credit cards maxed out, whether to pay for necessities or through an addiction to shopping for crap? Or the elderly themselves, who vote religiously and start banging their sticks one nanosecond after it is suggested they pay any more for anything whatsoever?

This is a problem far more serious and intractable than Brexit, and it's not going away.
    Two words: Logan's Run
    Scott_P said:
    Is this surprising? He invited the IRA round for tea in Parliament a few days after they tried to wipe out the PM and her Cabinet.
    Scott_P said:
    It seems the Lizard People, our overlords, are finally tiring of Jeremy Corbyn thwarting their attempts to stop Brexit. He must be terminated......
    edited August 2018

Scott_P said:
    It seems the Lizard People, our overlords, are finally tiring of Jeremy Corbyn thwarting their attempts to stop Brexit. He must be terminated......
    He'd be wise to avoid the Salisbury area for a while. Accidents do happen, you know.

But seriously, there does seem to be an awful lot of new footage emerging all of a sudden. My tin-foil beret is quivering. Or maybe the media had all this stuff but didn't consider it newsworthy enough at until this all blew up.

Really the lizard people get such a bad rap.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Wheels are off.

Sam might be the new Curran-cy.
    That's just stoking up expectations for Rashid.
  • RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Is this surprising? He invited the IRA round for tea in Parliament a few days after they tried to wipe out the PM and her Cabinet.
    Did he?

I thought he invited Sinn Féin?
  • When people see England's scorecard today, people will say

''Owwwww much?'

Which seems apt on Yorkshire day.

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Did he?

You forgot to write "innocent face".
    Anorak said:

Scott_P said:
    He'd be wise to avoid the Salisbury area for a while. Accidents do happen, you know.

But seriously, there does seem to be an awful lot of new footage emerging all of a sudden. My tin-foil beret is quivering. Or maybe the media had all this stuff but didn't consider it newsworthy enough at until this all blew up.
    It is really hard to believe that this man has already fought a GE where he was a serious candidate for PM. I mean, why now?
  • On topic, she's not very good.

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Did he?

Cheeky bugger!
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Keith Vaz making headlines again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45031603

• It seems the Lizard People, our overlords, are finally tiring of Jeremy Corbyn thwarting their attempts to stop Brexit. He must be terminated......

Really the lizard people get such a bad rap.
    A question of scale(s).
  • Anorak said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Did he?

You forgot to write "innocent face".
    I don't know how to troll or do clickbait.
    DavidL said:

It is really hard to believe that this man has already fought a GE where he was a serious candidate for PM. I mean, why now?

Best guess: Labour MPs want him gone before conference so they can elect a new leader under the old (pre Democracy Roadshow) rulebook.
  • More interesting is Donald Trump's tweets today which are verging* on obstruction of justice.

*I'm understating it.

More interesting is Donald Trump's tweets today which are verging* on obstruction of justice.

*I'm understating it.

What's he said?
    RobD said:

More interesting is Donald Trump's tweets today which are verging* on obstruction of justice.

*I'm understating it.

What's he said?
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/01/politics/donald-trump-jeff-sessions/index.html

DavidL said:

Best guess: Labour MPs want him gone before conference so they can elect a new leader under the old (pre Democracy Roadshow) rulebook.
    But they wanted rid of him before. Had a contest about it and everything. Motions of no confidence etc. Got hammered by the membership. But we weren't getting this.
    edited August 2018
    I would say that Trump's tweet clearly and unambiguously is an attempt to pervert the course of justice.

But hey, if Trump supporters aren't bothered by some Light Treason why would they care about attempts to sabotage the independence of the judicial system?
  • RobD said:

*I'm understating it.

What's he said?
    This tweet was the cherry on the parfait in a tweet thread.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024646945640525826

But this amused me no end.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1024680095343108097

*I'm understating it.

Verging on insanity*.

*I'm understating it.
  • Anorak said:

Two words: Logan's Run
    The concept of compulsory euthanasia for the over-30s doesn't greatly appeal, what with one already being 42...
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

OTOH, Corbyn has infantilised everything he's touched.
    That's an insult to infants and, indeed, the infantile.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But they wanted rid of him before. Had a contest about it and everything. Motions of no confidence etc. Got hammered by the membership. But we weren't getting this.
    True.

The other possibility is we're in an August No Brexit News lull, journos are bored and dredging their Bumper Book of Corbyn Cuntery to tide them over until the autumn.

RobD said:

*I'm understating it.

What's he said?
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/01/politics/donald-trump-jeff-sessions/index.html
    Are presidential decrees issued by twitter these days? :p
This discussion has been closed.