Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sean Fear looks back to the Jewish boys during his school-days

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

I always thought the elegant situation would be for Northern Ireland to become an independent nation.

Careful. That was the position of the extreme right-wing Ulster Third Way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Third_Way
    Nah 51st State

that would piss everyone off at the same time
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited August 2018

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Both main parties are currently completely indifferent to the damage they are doing because it currently only disturbs out groups.

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting which does indicate they are acting responsibly and I still maintain TM is the best hope for a deal.

The leavers have shown how totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better
    The only post Brexit 'deal' she will get will be a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, details of the FTA to be worked on in the transition, as far as the EU is concerned potentially indefinitely
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in history as the worst PM in history. I suspect she will need to spend her days living overseas in exile as she won’t be welcome in the UK when the true extent of her betrayal is revealed.
    The NI backstop will keep the EU settlement question alive for years. No replacement PM will be able to honour it.

There was only ever one appropriate response to the EU on this - Foxtrot Oscar.
    Or "border poll"?
    WE should implement the spirit of the Government of Ireland Act 1914. The UK Parliament recognised Ireland as one country , which it is, and agreed there should be one government there.
    with you that Surby

how do we getother 26 lost counties back ?
    We could start by integrating Northern Ireland with the Republic and making Scotland independent, and then wait for someone to come along with a vision to create a federal state out of the independent nations.
    Which Protestant Unionists in NI would never accept and Scotland has made clear it wants to stay part of the UK
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Both main parties are currently completely indifferent to the damage they are doing because it currently only disturbs out groups.

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting which does indicate they are acting responsibly and I still maintain TM is the best hope for a deal.

The leavers have shown how totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better
    The only post Brexit 'deal' she will get will be a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, details of the FTA to be worked on in the transition, as far as the EU is concerned potentially indefinitely
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in history as the worst PM in history. I suspect she will need to spend her days living overseas in exile as she won’t be welcome in the UK when the true extent of her betrayal is revealed.
    The NI backstop will keep the EU settlement question alive for years. No replacement PM will be able to honour it.

Or "border poll"?
    WE should implement the spirit of the Government of Ireland Act 1914. The UK Parliament recognised Ireland as one country , which it is, and agreed there should be one government there.
    with you that Surby

Ba-boom Tish!
    Advanced along the Ebbw Vale rail branch yesterday, was pleasantly surprised to see that the civic buildings next to the station looked like a scaled down version of Cardiff Bay - um, minus the bay, of course!

Also, due to the block at Derby, managed to do Burton to Ilkeston direct via Castle Donington (M&S depot) and Toton (big marshalling yards).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Scotland's leading Brexit gammon surprises no one.

'Former Scottish MP and minister Tom Harris quits Labour after 34 years'

https://tinyurl.com/yazembgg
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

We could start by integrating Northern Ireland with the Republic and making Scotland independent, and then wait for someone to come along with a vision to create a federal state out of the independent nations.
    Which Protestant Unionists in NI would never accept and Scotland has made clear it wants to stay part of the UK
    So is your prediction that the UK will survive in its current form for the whole of your lifetime?

PS. For the avoidance of doubt, the comment to which you were replying was tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I always thought the elegant situation would be for Northern Ireland to become an independent nation.

There are more people in Northern Ireland than in Fiji, Bahrain, Montenegro or Luxembourg, all of which are independent countries (discounting the EU of course in the latter case)
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

I don't want an Anti-Semitic Government. That would be worse than an Anti-EU one, which is saying something. Labour ought to make it clear that offers neither.

Over to you, Jeremy.

:+1:

I agree with all of that.
    Me too. But I'm not sure Labour can do much more on this - we're now scratching at the itch rather than curing it. Corbyn has said multiple times that he's against anti-semitism and wants to throw out any anti-semites. I don't know that it'd be useful if he said it some more. He is obviously not a KKK sympathiser and what David Duke says is of no interest to us (just as when an American Nazi endorsed Obama - what was Obama supposed to do about it?). The discipline committee is pathetically slow and IMO needs to be expanded so it can get on with it, but it does have to work within the laws of fair procedure. The dispute on the precise examples of the IHLR is arcane and short of someone saying "Oh, on second thoughts you're right" will not be resolved.

What would you like to see to reassure you, Peter and Beverley?
    I think Labour should ignore a very vocal and highly influential group.
    Ignoring the antisemitism in their ranks is what got them into this mess in the first place. Continuing to do it isn't going to help.
    The media storm is a London right wing middle class coffee table matter. The whole country is simply not interested. Too much credence has been given. Corbyn has played this wrongly.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    JohnO said:

Has Jeremy Corbyn ever stated that he supports Israel's right to exist as an independent state?

Only along with an independent Palestine and with Israel withdrawing from occupied territories. It has to be in accordance with Resolution 242 of the Security Council.

We must never forget that Israel is an ILLEGAL occupier.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Chatting to an ardent Brexiteer friend and Tory activist this week, he is adamant that May is to blame for (1) the state of negotiations and (2) the impending Corbyn government that he expects.

When asked why May is PM and not one of the Vote Leave cabinet ministers, there was no answer. Boris, Grove and Leadsome so screwing up the leadership election between them was the point beyond which Brexiteers lost the right to blame the PM.

As for Davis moaning about his plan not being adopted, someone should have explained that the best plan in the world is worthless if the boss doesn’t support it. A man who couldn’t successfully influence his own boss was never going to survive contact with the EU negotiation team.

May is there to to do the cave in to the EU for a transition deal, Boris to take over and give the Tories a chance of beating Corbyn before the next general election once it becomes clear the EU wants to make that transition period permanent
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

So is your prediction that the UK will survive in its current form for the whole of your lifetime?

PS. For the avoidance of doubt, the comment to which you were replying was tongue in cheek.
    I suppose Glasgow could go independent, it voted Yes after all in 2014
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

HYUFD said:

I think @HYUFD is correct that May will get a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, - details of the FTA to be worked on in the transition. This will get her over the line to Brexit but it will be BINO. I think @archer101au is also correct that she will offer the NI backstop as well. She will have to in order to get a Wihdrawal Agreement. This will stand a very good chance of passing both the UK and EU Parliaments, and is the only Brexit deal that can be done with the Parliamentary numbers.

Key Remainers are aghast at this prospect as it removes the possibility of a second referendum and of remaining in. They will look to the ERG for help in voting it down and getting a second referendum out of the political chaos that will ensue.

So these are the only possibilities - BINO or remaining in. "No deal" won't happen as Parliament won't allow it to happen, even if it takes a temporary Government of National Unity, aided by the EU, to prevent it. But it won't come to that. A fudged BINO is what is going to happen. @HYUFD is right.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

Why should they get a veto ? They have sucked our subsidies for a long time.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

As it is their homeland where they were born and raised and if they are not listened to they will start bombing again as is normal in Northern Ireland when one side feels ignored
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

I suppose Glasgow could go independent, it voted Yes after all in 2014
    Don't forget Dundee :)
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I think @HYUFD is correct that May will get a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, - details of the FTA to be worked on in the transition. This will get her over the line to Brexit but it will be BINO. I think @archer101au is also correct that she will offer the NI backstop as well. She will have to in order to get a Wihdrawal Agreement. This will stand a very good chance of passing both the UK and EU Parliaments, and is the only Brexit deal that can be done with the Parliamentary numbers.

Key Remainers are aghast at this prospect as it removes the possibility of a second referendum and of remaining in. They will look to the ERG for help in voting it down and getting a second referendum out of the political chaos that will ensue.

So these are the only possibilities - BINO or remaining in. "No deal" won't happen as Parliament won't allow it to happen, even if it takes a temporary Government of National Unity, aided by the EU, to prevent it. But it won't come to that. A fudged BINO is what is going to happen. @HYUFD is right.
    Sadly, you are right. No side will be happy. Also, I think that will be a more or less permanent situation for years to come.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    We have had comprehensive party leaders though who could have become PM e.g. Hague in 2001 or Ed Miliband in 2015
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

As it is their homeland where they were born and raised and if they are not listened to they will start bombing again as is normal in Northern Ireland when one side feels ignored
    Why shouldn't the people of Fermanagh and Co.Down have their homeland ? After all, NI is a completely artificial creation. It is not even Ulster.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

We are agreed for now. Longer term it could be hard Brexit with Boris in 2022 then back to the single market with Umunna in 2027
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    We have had comprehensive party leaders though who could have become PM e.g. Hague in 2001 or Ed Miliband in 2015
    Major was PM for 7 years :)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Elegant if insolvent. Which is an interesting unification question for Dublin.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    ydoethur said:

surby said:

I don't want an Anti-Semitic Government. That would be worse than an Anti-EU one, which is saying something. Labour ought to make it clear that offers neither.

Over to you, Jeremy.

:+1:

I agree with all of that.
    Me too. But I'm not sure Labour can do much more on this - we're now scratching at the itch rather than curing it. Corbyn has said multiple times that he's against anti-semitism and wants to throw out any anti-semites. I don't know that it'd be useful if he said it some more. He is obviously not a KKK sympathiser and what David Duke says is of no interest to us (just as when an American Nazi endorsed Obama - what was Obama supposed to do about it?). The discipline committee is pathetically slow and IMO needs to be expanded so it can get on with it, but it does have to work within the laws of fair procedure. The dispute on the precise examples of the IHLR is arcane and short of someone saying "Oh, on second thoughts you're right" will not be resolved.

What would you like to see to reassure you, Peter and Beverley?
    I think Labour should ignore a very vocal and highly influential group.
    Ignoring the antisemitism in their ranks is what got them into this mess in the first place. Continuing to do it isn't going to help.
    There's little evidence it will hurt though. Inconvenience? Sure.

Like many elegant solutions I presume not enough want that though?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Jim Callaghan?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rexel56 said:

Chatting to an ardent Brexiteer friend and Tory activist this week, he is adamant that May is to blame for (1) the state of negotiations and (2) the impending Corbyn government that he expects.

When asked why May is PM and not one of the Vote Leave cabinet ministers, there was no answer. Boris, Grove and Leadsome so screwing up the leadership election between them was the point beyond which Brexiteers lost the right to blame the PM.

As for Davis moaning about his plan not being adopted, someone should have explained that the best plan in the world is worthless if the boss doesn’t support it. A man who couldn’t successfully influence his own boss was never going to survive contact with the EU negotiation team.

May is there to to do the cave in to the EU for a transition deal, Boris to take over and give the Tories a chance of beating Corbyn before the next general election once it becomes clear the EU wants to make that transition period permanent
    Are you the same HYUFD from even two months back ? When did you have a brain transplant ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

She may not be doing your bidding but for many if she gets a deal that secures jobs and gives us control over immigration she will have succeeded.
    Well the Chequers deal won’t do any of these things. It will land the next generation with 40bn of additional debt and provide all the downsides of EU membership with none of the upsides of Brexit. Or did you not read the report which confirmed what I have been saying for months - that the actual data shows that the countries with the greatest export growth into Europe are on WTO terms and those with the worst growth are in the Single Market?
    You have no idea of the final deal but hard Brexit will not happen. The HOC will not allow it.

As has been said earlier on here leavers have only themselves to blame with not a clue on how to achieve their kind of Brexit
    If Boris replaces May as PM and gets a majority against Corbyn at the next general election, hard Brexit could happen
    Boris is only playing the hard Brexit line in order to be elected leader and PM. He has to do that to get the membership vote. But once he is PM, he doesn't. He just needs a majority of Tory MPs to support him. We know he is ambivalent about Brexit. I doubt he would allow a hard Brexit to happen. He wouldn't need to. Mission achieved.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

I’m in favour of disenfranchisement ofthe working class and elderly given that they’re subsidy suckers.
  • Options
    surby said:

Why shouldn't the people of Fermanagh and Co.Down have their homeland ? After all, NI is a completely artificial creation. It is not even Ulster.

All borders are artificial creations when you get right down to it, as an argument it undermines itself whenever it is used. It is real to many of the people there, and that is the key.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

we havent soaked you for enough

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,114

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Major went to a grammar school.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Jim Callaghan?
    Portsmouth Northern Grammar School.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

have shown how totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

Acoording to my calculations, using 2011 Census data, and whole local ward boundaries:

Tyrone 65.37% Catholic, 32.24% Protestant, 0.46% other, 1.93% none or "not stated"
    Derry 61.05% Catholic, 35.41% Protestant, 0.68% other, 2.86.% none or "not stated"
    Armagh 59.18% Catholic, 36.62% Protestant, 0.65% other, 3.54% none or "not stated"
    Fermanagh 59.16% Catholic, 37.78% Protestant, 0.57% other, 2.49% none or "not stated"
    Antrim 38.66% Catholic, 53.10% Protestant, 1.20% other, 7.04% none or "not stated"
    Down 31.31% Catholic, 60.29% Protestant, 0.94% other, 7.46% none or "not stated"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Did Major even get any A Levels ?
  • Options
    Gordon Brown was actually at a comprehensive, but he was in completely separate classes that effectively formed a grammar school within it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Jim Callaghan?
    Less than 7 years :)
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    No - O-levels only (and only three of them).
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Major went to grammar school
  • Options

surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

have shown how totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

Acoording to my calculations, using 2011 Census data, and whole local ward boundaries:

Tyrone 65.37% Catholic, 32.24% Protestant, 0.46% other, 1.93% none or "not stated"
    Derry 61.05% Catholic, 35.41% Protestant, 0.68% other, 2.86.% none or "not stated"
    Armagh 59.18% Catholic, 36.62% Protestant, 0.65% other, 3.54% none or "not stated"
    Fermanagh 59.16% Catholic, 37.78% Protestant, 0.57% other, 2.49% none or "not stated"
    Antrim 38.66% Catholic, 53.10% Protestant, 1.20% other, 7.04% none or "not stated"
    Down 31.31% Catholic, 60.29% Protestant, 0.94% other, 7.46% none or "not stated"
    OK. Antrim and Down can become North East Ireland. We will build a wall in the middle of Belfast. The Parachute regiment headquarters moved there. And, of course, Universal credit head office too.
  • Options
    surby said:

So what? So are most borders. It is what it is now and has been for a century pretty much.
  • Options
    If people are looking for an example, James Ramsay Macdonald attended elementary school only (the equivalent after 1945 of a secondary modern) until the age of 14.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Jim Callaghan?
    Of course when Major and Callaghan went to school there were no comprehensives, just grammars and secondary moderns and a few technical schools.

Hague and Ed Miliband would almost certainly have gone to grammars back then, though Prescott famously failed his 11 plus and went to a secondary modern but still ended up PM
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

We are agreed for now. Longer term it could be hard Brexit with Boris in 2022 then back to the single market with Umunna in 2027
    Your love affair with Boris sidelines his back story of which we hear little - but will explode if he put his hat into the ring.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in histoetrayal is revealed.

Or "border poll"?
    with you that Surby

If Fermanagh wants to join the Republic of Ireland eventually fine but it should not force Antrim out of the UK with it when it does not want to go
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    At least unlike Lembit he wasn't an Old Estonian :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Your love affair with Boris sidelines his back story of which we hear little - but will explode if he put his hat into the ring.
    Back story does not matter if you have charisma, see Bill Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting which does indicate they are acting responsibly and I still maintain TM is the best hope for a deal.

She may not be doing your bidding but for many if she gets a deal that secures jobs and gives us control over immigration she will have succeeded.
    Well the Chequers deal won’t do any of these things. It will land the next generation with 40bn of additional debt and provide all the downsides of EU membership with none of the upsides of Brexit. Or did you not read the report which confirmed what I have been saying for months - that the actual data shows that the countries with the greatest export growth into Europe are on WTO terms and those with the worst growth are in the Single Market?
    You have no idea of the final deal but hard Brexit will not happen. The HOC will not allow it.

As has been said earlier on here leavers have only themselves to blame with not a clue on how to achieve their kind of Brexit
    If Boris replaces May as PM and gets a majority against Corbyn at the next general election, hard Brexit could happen
    Boris is only playing the hard Brexit line in order to be elected leader and PM. He has to do that to get the membership vote. But once he is PM, he doesn't. He just needs a majority of Tory MPs to support him. We know he is ambivalent about Brexit. I doubt he would allow a hard Brexit to happen. He wouldn't need to. Mission achieved.
    Absolutely. Remember Boris had two articles ready for publication after Cameron resigned. He needed to think [ the only time his brain has done it for years ] for a while which side he was on. The Rat.

Edit: Sorry! After the referendum was called.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I think @HYUFD is coand EU Parliaments, and is the only Brexit deal that can be done with the Parliamentary numbers.

It will be pretty farcical if Boris does not toss his hat into the ring after all this time and so much effort to undermine May even when he was Foreign Secretary. It was already pretty preposterous that he didn't run last time, but to not do so again? Ridiculous. An extension of the stupidity of angrily claiming May is destroying the party and pursuing a terrible strategy without actively trying to take her down before now for the good of party and country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Lembit also went to a grammar in Northern Ireland
  • Options
    surby said:

OK. Antrim and Down can become North East Ireland. We will build a wall in the middle of Belfast. The Parachute regiment headquarters moved there. And, of course, Universal credit head office too.
    And the whole of Ulster using 2011 data in the Republic also:

Ulster (all) 50.80% Catholic, 42.70% Protestant, 1.15% other, 5.36% none or "not stated"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Key Remainers are ag
    Back story does not matter if you have charisma, see Bill Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi
    And all of those are good models for Boris to follow and the country to be on the receiving end of?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well the Chequers deal won’t do any of these things. It will land the next generation with 40bn of additional debt owth are in the Single Market?

He would need to to win back Tory to UKIP defectors and beat Corbyn and win a general election which is all he cares about given he has pots of money himself as does his wife and hard Brexit won't really affect him much personally
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I agree with you on this too! Boris is now favourite on Betfair to be next PM (6.4 down from about 15). I've been on him since January. He is my biggest green as next PM.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

Rexel56 said:

Are you the same HYUFD from even two months back ? When did you have a brain transplant ?
    Well he used to support May, so he seems to have acquired a brain from somewhere.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Key Remainers are ag
    And all of those are good models for Boris to follow and the country to be on the receiving end of?
    We are electing the next PM not the next Pope
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Like!

Thatcher went a grammar school and May went to one which became a comprehensive. Actually May had quite a chequered educational career.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

I agree with you on this too! Boris is now favourite on Betfair to be next PM (6.4 down from about 15). I've been on him since January. He is my biggest green as next PM.
    Shrewd move
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    They can't have been choosy.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

surby said:

Ulster (all) 50.80% Catholic, 42.70% Protestant, 1.15% other, 5.36% none or "not stated"
    Ulster includes 3 Catholic majority counties from the Republic of Ireland, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster

Northern Ireland was 48% Protestant and 45% Catholic in the 2011 census

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Northern_Ireland
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

She just won’t get it through the Commons. ERG will not vote to pay 40bn for nothing let alone perpetual transition. Nor should any MP - it would be an absolute disgrace. I still feel May will not make it that far. There will be yet more resignations if she tries. My guess is that she will resign when she can no longer pretend that the EU will accept Chequers. She has left herself nowhere to go. Who really wants to lead a party whose members despise you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Not can Bristol University where he went after
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Not can Bristol University where he went after
    I knew that already!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

Ulster includes 3 Catholic majority counties from the Republic of Ireland, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan.

Ulster as a whole (all 9 counties)
    50.80% Catholic, 42.70% Protestant, 1.15% other, 5.36% none or "not stated"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Like!

Thatcher went a grammar school and May went to one which became a comprehensive. Actually May had quite a chequered educational career.
    From 11 to 13 May went to a Catholic private school but when it shut she switched to the grammar.

She is the only PM or party leader to have been to a private school, a grammar school and a comprehensive school
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

The problem is that Boris has proved to be incompetent in any position of responsibility,
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Can you give a source please? Given Donegal is 81% Catholic these figures are very hard to believe. It would imply that one of Cavan or Monaghan is almost entirely Protestant, which is unlikely to be the case.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

The problem is that Boris has proved to be incompetent in any position of responsibility,
    Spot on Sean
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    @Sean_Fear Many thanks for this article. I am not Jewish, I am not a member of the Labour party, but I do feel betrayed by what they've allowed to happen. I would very much like to be a Labour supporter but I've realised my understanding of what Labour is & stands for is nostalgia and not for our times.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

But he will still be more competent than Corbyn would be and on current polls is the only Tory who would not trail Corbyn
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

That's true. But we are discussing his chances of being elected PM by Tory members because they see him as the best chance of defeating Corbyn. That is the only competence that matters. Nothing to do with the competence of governing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well the Chequers deal won’t do any of these things. It will land the next generation with 40bn of additional debt owth are in the Single Market?

He would need to to win back Tory to UKIP defectors and beat Corbyn and win a general election which is all he cares about given he has pots of money himself as does his wife and hard Brexit won't really affect him much personally
    He can promise hard Brexit to win back Tory to UKIP defectors. He doesn't have to deliver it unless he wants a second term.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Can you give a source please? Given Donegal is 81% Catholic these figures are very hard to believe. It would imply that one of Cavan or Monaghan is almost entirely Protestant, which is unlikely to be the case.
    The 2011 Census as stated above

Cavan 84.99% Catholic, 7.19% Protestant, 3.42% other, 4.41% none or "not stated"
    Donegal 85.42% Catholic, 8.50% Protestant, 2.04% other, 4.04% none or "not stated"
    Monaghan 86.70% Catholic, 7.30% Protestant, 2.91% other, 3.08% none or "not stated"
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

"Ulster as a whol"e is an English creation

Cavan shouldnt be in it and Louth should

bloody english cant even draw their borders right
  • Options
    HemmeligHemmelig Posts: 14

In terms of voting Labour had lost the Jewish community before Corbyn had become leader...

In percentage terms I think it is about 3-5% change in Jewish vote for Labour from Jewish leader Ed Miliband to Corbyn.

On that bombshell I'll leave everyone to state how Labour are racist and evil and the Conservatives are beyond reproach and go about my day...

The Jezza apologist speaks. Can you back that up?

The party was doing a whole lot better in places like Barnet until Jezza came on the scene
    https://twitter.com/TomLondon6/status/1024673571539484672
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

So was Churchill. Until he wasn’t.

And FWIW Boris did a good job as Mayor. Ultimately he is a vision person and not suited to being a follower, especially of someone who has no vision about anythng. The real question in respect of whether he can lead is whether he is aware of his own weaknesses and can put in place people around him who can counter them. May has failed this test, Brown did as well. I think Boris is more self-aware.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting

I expect Tory MPs (and if not them, the public) will look at those examples and sensibly steer well clear.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

She just won’t get it through the Commons. ERG will not vote to pay 40bn for nothing let alone perpetual transition. Nor should any MP - it would be an absolute disgrace. I still feel May will not make it that far. There will be yet more resignations if she tries. My guess is that she will resign when she can no longer pretend that the EU will accept Chequers. She has left herself nowhere to go. Who really wants to lead a party whose members despise you?
    You say she won't get it through the Commons but your argument is unconvincing:
    1. ERG won't vote for it - true but there are 80 of them at most.
    2. No MP should vote for it - that's your political opinion not what will happen.
    3. There will be more resignations - she can weather them.
    4. She won't want to lead a party whose members despise her - yes she will.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

How many in Northern Ireland will be keen to be part of an United Ireland when the find they have to pay to see the GP?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go her betrayal is revealed.

He can promise hard Brexit to win back Tory to UKIP defectors. He doesn't have to deliver it unless he wants a second term.
    He does if the general election is after December 2020 when the transition period will be due to have ended.

Before he might get away with it but depends if enough Tory Leavers believe him
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

How many in Northern Ireland will be keen to be part of an United Ireland when the find they have to pay to see the GP?
    zilch

• Options
    edited August 2018
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting

I think @HYUFD is correct that May will get a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, - y numbers.

I expect Tory MPs (and if not them, the public) will look at those examples and sensibly steer well clear.
    Not if a similar character is the only way to beat Corbyn and hold their seats, especially if they represent a marginal seat.

It was of course the public who elected Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi and I would not say the Leave voting and almost Corbyn electing UK public is much different
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:
    Like!

From 11 to 13 May went to a Catholic private school but when it shut she switched to the grammar.

She is the only PM or party leader to have been to a private school, a grammar school and a comprehensive school
    May was born in Oct 1956, so (probably) started school either Sept or after Christmas 1961. When she was 13, in 1969, she went to a grammar school, which she means she either took and passed the 11+ in 1967 or took the 13+ in 1969.... possibly in her 13th year. Wikipedia suggests that she ‘won’ a place, which indicates that she passed an exam. She graduated in 1977, when she was, presumably, 20, going on 21, which suggests that unlike many 13+-ers she went straight into the year for her age, and indeed got a year ahead. Many who did that were held back for 2 years to catch up academically.
    Oner would have expected her to graduate at the end of the academic year in which she was 21.
    The private school she attended closed some 15 years after she left it.
    Unless Wikipedia has it’s facts wrong, of course. And I really should get out more!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Louth is 87% Catholic,,,
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Cavan 84.99% Catholic, 7.19% Protestant, 3.42% other, 4.41% none or "not stated"
    Donegal 85.42% Catholic, 8.50% Protestant, 2.04% other, 4.04% none or "not stated"
    Monaghan 86.70% Catholic, 7.30% Protestant, 2.91% other, 3.08% none or "not stated"
    I’m told that there was a lot of ‘movement’ both ways across the border in the early to mid 1920’s
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan do not have large populations.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    JohnO said:

Has Jeremy Corbyn ever stated that he supports Israel's right to exist as an independent state?

Repeatedly. And opposes a boycott of Israeli goods.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-corbyn-says-israel-has-a-right-to-exist-under-1948-agreement/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-does-not-support-boycott-of-israel-bds-movement
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess

I think @HYUFD is correct that May will get a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, - y numbers.

Not if a similar character is the only way to beat Corbyn and hold their seats, especially if they represent a marginal seat.

It was of course the public who elected Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi and I would not say the Leave voting and almost Corbyn electing UK public is much different
    Well the anti-LHRE LibDems in SW London would be safe, for a start.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Louth is 87% Catholic,,,
    Im surpised it's that low.

any way we missed or best chance for peace years ago when Idi Amin offered to mediate you dukawallas messed it up for us

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2018
    Solar power on 23% at the moment, the highest I've seen so far.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

surby said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

But he will still be more competent than Corbyn would be and on current polls is the only Tory who would not trail Corbyn
    the fact that plenty of anti-tory posters are eagerly supporting your Boris4PM campaign should tell you why it is the dumbest idea since the Sinclair C5
  • Options

2. No MP should vote for it - that's your political opinion not what will happen.

Might as well chuck in a Brexit anecdote since as the Smiths might have sung, "every day is like Brexit-day". I was at dinner last night at a friend's house who are very pro-Remain. He is a vet and she works for a major American investment bank. They both said they just wanted certainty now and then they could plan. The wife who is working in the bank's Brexit preparation said their biggest issue is they have to plan for several scenarios, not knowing which one will play out. If they knew it was a No Deal Brexit, they could plan more easily.

They also had an interesting story about one of their friends who had gone to a dinner at the Conservative Association of one of the inner London councils which is Conservative controlled. Every one in the room apparently despised Theresa May and wanted her gone. I guess that goes to a comment on here before.

Barnesian, you are right. The ERG are not the majority of the party. The majority of the party just want to retain their seats. And they now know, thanks to the reaction to Chequers, that many run a strong chance of losing their seats in a Brexit backlash. The ERG should be eternally grateful for Chequers - is has massively increased the chances of a hard Brexit and of their colleagues not voting through TM's plans. Another one of her spectacular strategic failures.
  • Options
    Damn editing!!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

I’m told that there was a lot of ‘movement’ both ways across the border in the early to mid 1920’s
    And outright emigration of Catholics from NI to overseas, including my wife’s grandmother and other members of her family. (They could probably power half of Boston from Grandma Rose’s grave as her granddaughter married an Englishman!)
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Labour will vote against. Even if some defect, they will easily be outnumbered by the ERG. The idea that MPs will join together in a show of ‘national unity’ would be fanciful at the best of times, but with Corbyn as leader? And why would they do this anyway - so they can get credit for ignoring the referendum outcome? They just would paint a huge target on their backs. The vast majority of constituencies voted Leave.

I just don’t see any Commons majority for anything other than CETA - the Tories would fall into line behind this. Chequers (what will be left of it) - no chance.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

And outright emigration of Catholics from NI to overseas, including my wife’s grandmother and other members of her family. (They could probably power half of Boston from Grandma Rose’s grave as her granddaughter married an Englishman!)
    North South, Catholic Protestant, Ireland was a net exporter of people until the 1990s. The 1950s were known as the lost decade as the economy was in the doldrums and emigration the only way out
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seem

potentially indefinitely

Key Remainers right.
    So was Churchill. Until he wasn’t.

And FWIW Boris did a good job as Mayor. Ultimately he is a vision person and not suited to being a follower, especially of someone who has no vision about anythng. The real question in respect of whether he can lead is whether he is aware of his own weaknesses and can put in place people around him who can counter them. May has failed this test, Brown did as well. I think Boris is more self-aware.
    Wrong in so many ways. Churchill was the perfect man for a unique moment, but was a poor administrator and continued to make strategic misjudgements throughout his life. Boris was a poor mayor, uninterested in the day job, unable to take his responsibilities seriously, interested only in expensive big new initiatives, most of which cost Londoners far more than promised and some of which were a total waste of money. And he isn't a vision person - not at all - he is a tactical politician, who judges each question before him based on his own personal self-interest at the time; he has barely any strategic insight at all, let alone firmly held principles or political views of his own. And his closets are so full that he stores his baggage, secrets and embarrassments down at Big Yellow.
  • Options
    A former Labour MP and transport minister has resigned from the party after more than three decades as a member amid the ongoing antisemitism row

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/04/tom-harris-resigns-from-labour-amid-antisemitism-row
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Has Verstappen's team mate for next season been named yet?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

Not Protestand as well? That would set the sparks flying!
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Labour will vote against. Even if some defect, they will easily be outnumbered by the ERG. The idea that MPs will join together in a show of ‘national unity’ would be fanciful at the best of times, but with Corbyn as leader? And why would they do this anyway - so they can get credit for ignoring the referendum outcome? They just would paint a huge target on their backs. The vast majority of constituencies voted Leave.

I just don’t see any Commons majority for anything other than CETA - the Tories would fall into line behind this. Chequers (what will be left of it) - no chance.
    The Commons aren't going to be offered CETA - nor would the EU agree to it unless NI was excluded.

It is not certain that Labour would vote against a fudgy BINO. I can't see them voting for it but they might abstain. I think Corbyn would quite like a fudgy BINO. It gives him scope. They will only vote against if they think it would result in an early GE. But it won't, so they won't.

Corbyn wouldn't be acceptable as leader of "national unity". It would have to be someone like Dominic Grieve for a short period - long enough to get an extension of A50 form the EU and hold a 3-way referendum on the rejected BINO, no deal or remain. Remain would then win. Most constituencies would vote Remain and the clock would be reset. The majority would be in favour. That's democracy. But a government of national unity is not going to happen. The BINO deal will pass.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    O/T I've just finished watching the cricket on catch-up and I swear the crowd was chanting "Barmy Carney"
This discussion has been closed.