Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sean Fear looks back to the Jewish boys during his school-days

124»

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660

O/T I've just finished watching the cricket on catch-up and I swear the crowd was chanting "Barmy Carney"

Just shows you can convince yourself of anything if you try hard enough.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Both main parties are currently completely indifferent to the damage they are doing because it currently only disturbs out groups.

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting which does indicate they are acting responsibly and I still maintain TM is the best hope for a deal.

The leavers have shown how totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better
    The only post Brexit 'deal' she will get will be a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, details of the FTA to be worked on in the transition, as far as the EU is concerned potentially indefinitely
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in history as the worst PM in history. I suspect she will need to spend her days living overseas in exile as she won’t be welcome in the UK when the true extent of her betrayal is revealed.

Key Remainers are aghast at this prospect as it removes the possibility of a second referendum and of remaining in. They will look to the ERG for help in voting it down and getting a second referendum out of the political chaos that will ensue.

So these are the only possibilities - BINO or remaining in. "No deal" won't happen as Parliament won't allow it to happen, even if it takes a temporary Government of National Unity, aided by the EU, to prevent it. But it won't come to that. A fudged BINO is what is going to happen. @HYUFD is right.
    We are agreed for now. Longer term it could be hard Brexit with Boris in 2022 then back to the single market with Umunna in 2027
    Your love affair with Boris sidelines his back story of which we hear little - but will explode if he put his hat into the ring.
    Back story does not matter if you have charisma, see Bill Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi
    The problem is that Boris has proved to be incompetent in any position of responsibility,
    Not true.

He chaired HIGNFY well.

Whoever cast him on that and started the ball rolling needs to hold their head in shame almost as much as the guy who cast Trump on the apprentice.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

O/T I've just finished watching the cricket on catch-up and I swear the crowd was chanting "Barmy Carney"

Just shows you can convince yourself of anything if you try hard enough.
    Even the absence of a sense of humour?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Both main parties are currently completely indifferent to the damage they are doing because it currently only disturbs out groups.

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seem

The leavers have shown how totally incompetent they are and as for Boris, the least said the better
    potentially indefinitely
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in history as the worst PM in history. I suspect she will need to spend her days living overseas in exile as she won’t be welcome in the UK when the true extent of her betrayal is revealed.

Key Remainers right.
    We are agreed for now. Longer term it could be hard Brexit with Boris in 2022 then back to the single market with Umunna in 2027
    Your love affair with Boris sidelines his back story of which we hear little - but will explode if he put his hat into the ring.
    Back story does not matter if you have charisma, see Bill Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi
    The problem is that Boris has proved to be incompetent in any position of responsibility,
    So was Churchill. Until he wasn’t.

And FWIW Boris did a good job as Mayor. Ultimately he is a vision person and not suited to being a follower, especially of someone who has no vision about anythng. The real question in respect of whether he can lead is whether he is aware of his own weaknesses and can put in place people around him who can counter them. May has failed this test, Brown did as well. I think Boris is more self-aware.
    Wrong in so many ways. Churchill was the perfect man for a unique moment, but was a poor administrator and continued to make strategic misjudgements throughout his life. Boris was a poor mayor, uninterested in the day job, unable to take his responsibilities seriously, interested only in expensive big new initiatives, most of which cost Londoners far more than promised and some of which were a total waste of money. And he isn't a vision person - not at all - he is a tactical politician, who judges each question before him based on his own personal self-interest at the time; he has barely any strategic insight at all, let alone firmly held principles or political views of his own. And his closets are so full that he stores his baggage, secrets and embarrassments down at Big Yellow.
    Have you read ‘No more champagne’? Fascinating read!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Recently, I found myself at a dinner in the City listening to financial types laugh away about how Brexit will eventually screw over the very people who voted for it. Only a few hours earlier they had asked why people across the West are rebelling against the mainstream and levels of distrust are at an all-time high. On the way home I felt thoroughly depressed, wondering what had happened to the common good, to the people who are interested in forging consensus and fixing the social contract."

https://quillette.com/2018/08/03/britains-populist-revolt/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Have you ever been to Israel?
    Yes.
    Well you should know then that even in Israel the governance of the country is hotly debated.. No one is talking about Israel's 'destruction' just one person one vote in Israel and the occupied territories. The only alternative is to create an apartheid state. The argument against is the same argument that was used by right-wingers here and in South Africa 'Give the blacks the vote and the whites will be wiped out'.

The reason more people talk about Israel than Saudi Arabia and Burma despite their worse human rights record is because we have much stronger ties to Israel. I myself have literally dozens of family members currently living there. Fortunately they are far more open to robust debate than seems to be the case with the Labour Party.
    I was a tourist. Not there to discuss political matters. But I am sure you are right that its governance is a subject of intense debate.

I agree that Israel is wrong to hold on to the Occupied Territories. Either it denies the Arabs living there rights which makes it undemocratic or it makes them citizens and will no longer be Jewish. That is why it is so urgent for there to be a peace deal in which these lands form the basis of a Palestinian state.

But note that Hamas does not just want the Occupied Territories. It wants the whole of the land of Israel. It wants the total destruction of Israel. So you are wrong to say that no-one is talking about Israel’s destruction. Corbyn’s friends do.

Glad you agree that other countries have a worse human rights record. That is precisely the point being made by one of the IHRA examples.

We do have close ties to those other countries so we should be talking about them. We sell arms to the Saudis, arms they use in their war in the Yemen, which is leading to one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today. Burma used to be part of the Empire. And Britain has been one of the parties actively involved in the deal with Iran over nuclear power, there is a large Iranian community in Britain and the Leader of the Opposition regularly appears on its propaganda TV station. So the opportunities - especially for someone who claims to be against human right abuses - are plentiful for him and others to speak up. And yet silence ......
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess and the damage needs to be mitigated as much as possible. Seems to be a wall of silence on Macron - May meeting which does indicate they are acting responsibly and I still maintain TM is the best hope for a deal.

The only post Brexit 'deal' she will get will be a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, details of the FTA to be worked on in the transition, as far as the EU is concerned potentially indefinitely

Key Remainers are aghast at this prospect as it removes the possibility of a second referendum and of remaining in. They will look to the ERG for help in voting it down and getting a second referendum out of the political chaos that will ensue.

So these are the only possibilities - BINO or remaining in. "No deal" won't happen as Parliament won't allow it to happen, even if it takes a temporary Government of National Unity, aided by the EU, to prevent it. But it won't come to that. A fudged BINO is what is going to happen. @HYUFD is right.
    Not true.

He chaired HIGNFY well.

Whoever cast him on that and started the ball rolling needs to hold their head in shame almost as much as the guy who cast Trump on the apprentice.
    He chaired it quite extraordinarily badly.

However, his incompetence was equally extraordinarily funny.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    AndyJS said:

"Recently, I found myself at a dinner in the City listening to financial types laugh away about how Brexit will eventually screw over the very people who voted for it. Only a few hours earlier they had asked why people across the West are rebelling against the mainstream and levels of distrust are at an all-time high. On the way home I felt thoroughly depressed, wondering what had happened to the common good, to the people who are interested in forging consensus and fixing the social contract."

You can’t forge consensus on a binary topic, especially when one side is led by malevolent idiots.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AndyJS said:

Thank you for posting this link Andy, it made for a very interesting read.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

JohnO said:

Has Jeremy Corbyn ever stated that he supports Israel's right to exist as an independent state?

Repeatedly. And opposes a boycott of Israeli goods.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-corbyn-says-israel-has-a-right-to-exist-under-1948-agreement/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-does-not-support-boycott-of-israel-bds-movement
    We must be thankful for small mercies. But note that supporting Israel’s right to exist within the terms of Resolution 181 is pretty qualified. It would involve Israel not just giving up the Occupied Territories and Gaza but also giving up parts of Israel proper, parts of Israel which have been Israeli since the 1948 war.

I do not think it is practical to go back to the world of 1948 nor have any of the various peace plans put forward ever suggested this as an option. Were I Jewish -and seeing the way Corbyn has changed his views on some things (a few years ago he was in favour of the IHRA definition) - I would not be at all confident about Corbyn continuing to support Israel’s right to exist. After all, according to him it behaves like Nazis. So why should it exist?
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

AndyJS said:

You can’t forge consensus on a binary topic, especially when one side is led by malevolent idiots.
    THe leaders of the insurrection are themselves filthy rich and have no connection with the livelihoods of those they lead. Sadly, the ignorant will be thrown under the bus as always.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess

The only post Brexit 'deal' she will get will be a withdrawal agreement and efinitely
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in history al is revealed.
    I think @HYUFD is correct that May will get a withdrawal agreement and transition period where we will still be in the single market and customs union in all but name, - y numbers.

I expect Tory MPs (and if not them, the public) will look at those examples and sensibly steer well clear.
    Not if a similar character is the only way to beat Corbyn and hold their seats, especially if they represent a marginal seat.

It was of course the public who elected Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi and I would not say the Leave voting and almost Corbyn electing UK public is much different
    Well the anti-LHRE LibDems in SW London would be safe, for a start.
    It is not those seats the Tories need to win, bar Richmond Park 2/3 of the Richmond Park and Kingston Upon Thames area seats are already LD and set to stay that way.

It is the 8 out of 10 most marginal Labpur seats which voted Leave and the Tories need for a majority
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Hemmelig said:

In terms of voting Labour had lost the Jewish community before Corbyn had become leader...

In percentage terms I think it is about 3-5% change in Jewish vote for Labour from Jewish leader Ed Miliband to Corbyn.

On that bombshell I'll leave everyone to state how Labour are racist and evil and the Conservatives are beyond reproach and go about my day...

The Jezza apologist speaks. Can you back that up?

The party was doing a whole lot better in places like Barnet until Jezza came on the scene
    https://twitter.com/TomLondon6/status/1024673571539484672
    It'd be very interesting to see a regression analysis of support for Corbyn which takes into account both whether a person is Jewish and their level of support for Israel. Or, more specifically, is Jewishness actually a significant predictor of support for Corbyn once support for Israel has already been taken into account.

Without knowing that it's really hard to say whether the idea of Corbyn as anti-Semitic is cutting through at all.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Well you should know then that even in Israel the governance of the country is hotly debated.. No one is talking about Israel's 'destruction' just one person one vote in Israel and the occupied territories. The only alternative is to create an apartheid state. The argument against is the same argument that was used by right-wingers here and in South Africa 'Give the blacks the vote and the whites will be wiped out'.

The reason more people talk about Israel than Saudi Arabia and Burma despite their worse human rights record is because we have much stronger ties to Israel. I myself have literally dozens of family members currently living there. Fortunately they are far more open to robust debate than seems to be the case with the Labour Party.
    I was a tourist. Not there to discuss political matters. But I am sure you are right that its governance is a subject of intense debate.

I agree that Israel is wrong to hold on to the Occupied Territories. Either it denies the Arabs living there rights which makes it undemocratic or it makes them citizens and will no longer be Jewish. That is why it is so urgent for there to be a peace deal in which these lands form the basis of a Palestinian state.

But note that Hamas does not just want the Occupied Territories. It wants the whole of the land of Israel. It wants the total destruction of Israel. So you are wrong to say that no-one is talking about Israel’s destruction. Corbyn’s friends do.

Glad you agree that other countries have a worse human rights record. That is precisely the point being made by one of the IHRA examples.

We do have close ties to those other countries so we should be talking about them. We sell arms to the Saudis, arms they use in their war in the Yemen, which is leading to one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today. Burma used to be part of the Empire. And Britain has been one of the parties actively involved in the deal with Iran over nuclear power, there is a large Iranian community in Britain and the Leader of the Opposition regularly appears on its propaganda TV station. So the opportunities - especially for someone who claims to be against human right abuses - are plentiful for him and others to speak up. And yet silence ......
    Hamas and Israel https://www.haaretz.com/1.5056537

Corbyn and Saudi https://www.ft.com/content/34b8642e-2215-11e8-9a70-08f715791301

Corbyn and Burma https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-rohingya-muslims-aung-san-suu-kyi-burma-labour-leader-call-end-violence-a7968916.html

Don't let facts get in the way of anti-Corbyn prejudice.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Thank you for posting this link Andy, it made for a very interesting read.
    It is quite the worst thing that Matthew Goodwin has ever written, with basic factual errors and highly tendentious presentation of other facts, muddled thinking and lazy cliches. It should be reputation-ending. It will of course be lapped up by self-labelling intellectual Leavers.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    AndyJS said:

Solar power on 23% at the moment, the highest I've seen so far.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

YESSSSSSSSSS!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    AndyJS said:

They will likely still get the tighter immigration controls they voted for though in some form or other even if more city types are pro immigration and opposed to tighter controls as it helps them get a cheaper nanny or plumber.

While with 40% already having voted for Corbyn Labour in large part in large part in resentment at City arrogance in the face of austerity it only takes a small pro Labour swing and Corbyn will be PM and McDonnell Chancellor and those city types won't be laughing then
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Cyclefree said:

JohnO said:

Has Jeremy Corbyn ever stated that he supports Israel's right to exist as an independent state?

Repeatedly. And opposes a boycott of Israeli goods.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-first-corbyn-says-israel-has-a-right-to-exist-under-1948-agreement/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/13/jeremy-corbyn-does-not-support-boycott-of-israel-bds-movement
    We must be thankful for small mercies. But note that supporting Israel’s right to exist within the terms of Resolution 181 is pretty qualified. It would involve Israel not just giving up the Occupied Territories and Gaza but also giving up parts of Israel proper, parts of Israel which have been Israeli since the 1948 war.

I do not think it is practical to go back to the world of 1948 nor have any of the various peace plans put forward ever suggested this as an option. Were I Jewish -and seeing the way Corbyn has changed his views on some things (a few years ago he was in favour of the IHRA definition) - I would not be at all confident about Corbyn continuing to support Israel’s right to exist. After all, according to him it behaves like Nazis. So why should it exist?
    Weak. You are presented with facts and you hold onto your prejudices. It sounds a bit desperate.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,268
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a mess

The only post Brexit 'deal' she will get will be a withdrawal agreement and efinitely
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop as well. That woman really will go down in history al is revealed.
    I th right.
    I expect Tory MPs (and if not them, the public) will look at those examples and sensibly steer well clear.
    Not if a similar character is the only way to beat Corbyn and hold their seats, especially if they represent a marginal seat.

It was of course the public who elected Clinton, Trump and Berlusconi and I would not say the Leave voting and almost Corbyn electing UK public is much different
    It is not those seats the Tories need to win, bar Richmond Park 2/3 of the Richmond Park and Kingston Upon Thames area seats are already LD and set to stay that way.

It is the 8 out of 10 most marginal Labpur seats which voted Leave and the Tories need for a majority
    Every LibDem gain (and Boris would be good for LibDems across a range of seats, as would any high profile leaver) increases the inroads the Tories would need to gain elsewhere to recover a majority. It is striking how complacent you appear to be about traditional Tory supporters in business and amongst the educated middle classes who voted Remain. Whereas you are always banging on about UKIP yet that party barely exists nowadays and will be lucky to be putting up a large number of candidates, let alone with any credibility.

Boris would also put the Scottish seats at risk.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    AndyJS said:

Thanks Andy, that’s a very good article.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

She just won’t get it through the Commons. ERG will not vote to pay 40bn for nothing let alone perpetual transition. Nor should any MP - it would be an absolute disgrace. I still feel May will not make it that far. There will be yet more resignations if she tries. My guess is that she will resign when she can no longer pretend that the EU will accept Chequers. She has left herself nowhere to go. Who really wants to lead a party whose members despise you?

You say she won't get it through the Commons but your argument is unconvincing:
    1. ERG won't vote for it - true but there are 80 of them at most.
    2. No MP should vote for it - that's your political opinion not what will happen.
    3. There will be more resignations - she can weather them.
    4. She won't want to lead a party whose members despise her - yes she will.
    Labour will vote against. Even if some defect, they will easily be outnumbered by the ERG. The idea that MPs will join together in a show of ‘national unity’ would be fanciful at the best of times, but with Corbyn as leader? And why would they do this anyway - so they can get credit for ignoring the referendum outcome? They just would paint a huge target on their backs. The vast majority of constituencies voted Leave.

I just don’t see any Commons majority for anything other than CETA - the Tories would fall into line behind this. Chequers (what will be left of it) - no chance.
    The Commons aren't going to be offered CETA - nor would the EU agree to it unless NI was excluded.

It is not certain that Labour would vote against a fudgy BINO. I can't see them voting for it but they might abstain. I think Corbyn would quite like a fudgy BINO. It gives him scope. They will only vote against if they think it would result in an early GE. But it won't, so they won't.

Corbyn wouldn't be acceptable as leader of "national unity". It would have to be someone like Dominic Grieve for a short period - long enough to get an extension of A50 form the EU and hold a 3-way referendum on the rejected BINO, no deal or remain. Remain would then win. Most constituencies would vote Remain and the clock would be reset. The majority would be in favour. That's democracy. But a government of national unity is not going to happen. The BINO deal will pass.
    I can't see labour abstaining on what in effect would become the final vote. They won't for the tories, as they'll say it's a bad deal, and may won't get enough of her own to back it. Ergo even f she gets a deal it wont pass.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    AndyJS said:

Solar power on 23% at the moment, the highest I've seen so far.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

And when we actually need the power at 6 o'clock on a cold January evening it will be precisely zero.

Solar should be employed where the peak power demand is for air conditioning in summer, not in the UK. We subsidise the solar farms for generating (when we don't need it) and subsidise the CCGTs to sit there idle.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Not true.

He chaired HIGNFY well.

Don't be absurd - entertainers who spotlighted people who entertaining are hardly responsible if 10, 15 years later or whatever that person leads a country.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Now that I have bagged the first... new thread!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

They will likely still get the tighter immigration controls they voted for though in some form or other even if more city types are pro immigration and opposed to tighter controls as it helps them get a cheaper nanny or plumber.

While with 40% already having voted for Corbyn Labour in large part in large part in resentment at City arrogance in the face of austerity it only takes a small pro Labour swing and Corbyn will be PM and McDonnell Chancellor and those city types won't be laughing then
    It’s a shame my tax revenues will be elsewhere and I’ll care even less about people who instead of making a difference wallow in their own failings.. That’s a Brexit point FAOD.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

It is a m
    Don’t forget she will offer the NI backstop ad.
    I th right.
    We are agreed f27
    I expectlear.
    Not if a similar t
    It is not those seats the Tories need to win, bar Richmond Park 2/3 majority
    Every LibDem gain (and Boris would be good for LibDems across a range of seats, as would any high profile leaver) increases the inroads the Tories would need to gain elsewhere to recover a majority. It is striking how complacent you appear to be about traditional Tory supporters in business and amongst the educated middle classes who voted Remain. Whereas you are always banging on about UKIP yet that party barely exists nowadays and will be lucky to be putting up a large number of candidates, let alone with any credibility.

Boris would also put the Scottish seats at risk.
    Any LD gains which came over Brexit almost all came in 2017, there will be barely any at the next general election even if the LDs gain a further swing as there are only 2 Tory seats which would fall to the LDs on a swing of less than 1% and just 5 which would fall even on a swing to the LDs as high as 5%. Not forgetting most of the traditional Tory v LD marginals are in Devon and Cornwall and Somerset and Dorset which mainly voted Leave.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/liberal-democrat

By contrast there are 15 Labour seats on the target list for the Tories which would fall on a swing of less than 1%, 13 of which voted Leave.

As for Scotland the recent Yougov showed Boris would do a bit worse than May in Scotland but little different from other alternative leaders and the main movement would be to Scottish Labour under a Boris led Tories not the SNP from whom all of the Tory gains in Scotland came in 2017
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yet you regularly complain that Leavers didn't reach out to these malevolent idiots.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Maybe it will and maybe it wont - we've been told that continually for the last two years and it hasn't happened yet.

But those who voted for Brexit would certainly have being screwed over if Remain had won.

It should also be remembered that all those Leave voters have seen their house rises in value in the last two years while those Remain financial types are seeing their rents continue to increase.
This discussion has been closed.