Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Celebrating Theresa May – against all odds she’s still there a

Comments

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,802
    edited August 2018
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Mr. Divvie (2), if Scotland had left the UK by now, you'd be out of the EU and the remainder of the UK would be in. Which is quite ironic.

I think the point is the referendum was Cameron's idea, and his government would have collapsed if Scotland had voted for independence (as Salmond's did) so the referendum would not have happened.
    That would suggest either a EU friendly Tory taking over from DC or an EU friendly Ed winning a GE. I think it's just as likely that a more right wing Brexity politics would have come to pass in an incredible, shrinking UK scenario; Brexit itself is evidence that all that stuff was bubbling under.
    I think Ed Miliband could have won in 2015 had Scotland not been an issue. Don't underestimate how disliked the SNP are in England.

The key point though is that however 'Brexity' another leader might have been it would have been unlikely they would have called a referendum. That was Cameron's idea and it was controversial even among Conservatives - Osborne for example was opposed.
    Do you think all that 'dislike' of the SNP (as irrational as the more extreme EUrophobia) would have suddenly switched off as these types saw one third of their land mass being snipped off their Britishness? I don't believe a kinder, gentler politics was ever on the agenda in any scenario, or in any other country as events have proved.
    Dislike of the SNP is entirely rational from an English POV

They have been agitating for a break up of our Union whilst at the same time trying to do all they can to maximise subsidy of Scotland and interfere in English politics. It looks very, very ungrateful

‘Like Scotland; dislike the SNP’, is, I suspect the view of the majority of English voters.
    As is hate Westminster like English the view of the majority of Scots. We would never want to enslave England though and neither would we pretend that we subsidised them when the opposite is blatantly obvious to anyone who can read. Just compare Norway and Scotland and see how much Westminster has conned out of Scotland, makes places like Zimbawe etc seem to have had model governments rather than thieving despots.
    You wouldn’t want to pretend Scotland had subsidised England because it is blatantly obvious to anyone who can read that the opposite is the case?

Glad you’ve admitted that. Thanks Malc.
    England does not subsidise Scotland.
    Scotland does not subsidise England.
    Our grand-children subsidise both.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

surby said:

Sean_F said:

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Clegg did warn him, but he wouldn't listen. I guess he thought he could deliver the vote and see off the nutters in his party once and for all. Yet he has now allowed them to take over the asylum.
    If the 2015 general election had seen the Tories largest party again but lacking a majority and having to do another coalition with the LDs there would have been no EU referendum and Cameron would still be PM.

So ironically an EU referendum promise which was meant to strengthen Cameron by helping him get a majority in 2015 and to see off UKIP ended up shortening his premiership once the break was made with Clegg
    Cameron could still be PM. The choices he made in a) the Renegotiation and then b) the Referendum campaign itself killled his career - not the break from the LibDems.
    Certainly his failure to get any meaningful concessions on free movement in talks with the EU doomed the Remain campaign
    What would such concessions have looked like, and what could the EU have agreed to without pi**ing off all the other member nations?

Of course there were benefits for Britain. But there were costs and the costs of free movement were neither equally shared within the EU nor within Britain itself. That sense of unfairness lay behind some of the concerns I think. That should and could have been addressed without offending the Four Freedoms theologians.
    We could have addressed our benefit and welfare systems rather than blame somebody else for decisions which we are perfectly sovereign to address, perhaps.
    There is the libertarian argument that we could have slashed and burned the State. That would have been fine ,within the EU, so long as we treated EU nationals exactly the same as British Nationals.

My guess is that about 2% of the voters would have been in favour

German benefits are better than those in the UK. Indeed, the same goes for Ireland.

So that is not the only reason.
    You have to have worked in Germany for 5 years before you get them.
    Does it apply to German citizens as well ?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    https://www.dw.com/en/germany-limits-eu-citizens-access-to-benefits/a-36026606

The above is what the largest pro EU country is doing with benefits for all those European Citizens that exercise their rights under Free Movement of Workers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Clegg did warn him, but he wouldn't listen. I guess he thought he could deliver the vote and see off the nutters in his party once and for all. Yet he has now allowed them to take over the asylum.
    If the 2015 general election had seen the Tories largest party again but lacking a majority and having to do another coalition with the LDs there would have been no EU referendum and Cameron would still be PM.

So ironically an EU referendum promise which was meant to strengthen Cameron by helping him get a majority in 2015 and to see off UKIP ended up shortening his premiership once the break was made with Clegg
    Cameron could still be PM. The choices he made in a) the Renegotiation and then b) the Referendum campaign itself killled his career - not the break from the LibDems.
    Certainly his failure to get any meaningful concessions on free movement in talks with the EU doomed the Remain campaign
    What would such concessions have looked like, and what could the EU have agreed to without pi**ing off all the other member nations?

Of course there were benefits for Britain. But there were costs and the costs of free movement were neither equally shared within the EU nor within Britain itself. That sense of unfairness lay behind some of the concerns I think. That should and could have been addressed without offending the Four Freedoms theologians.
    We could have addressed our benefit and welfare systems rather than blame somebody else for decisions which we are perfectly sovereign to address, perhaps.
    There is the libertarian argument that we could have slashed and burned the State. That would have been fine ,within the EU, so long as we treated EU nationals exactly the same as British Nationals.

German benefits are better than those in the UK. Indeed, the same goes for Ireland.

Neither country is a major source of immigration to the UK. (Ireland was, but 50 years ago)
    You misunderstood me. Why didn't these immigrants go there instead ?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    edited August 2018

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-limits-eu-citizens-access-to-benefits/a-36026606

The above is what the largest pro EU country is doing with benefits for all those European Citizens that exercise their rights under Free Movement of Workers.

This was what the UK did before Beveridge recommended a universal welfare state in 1942
    https://www.sochealth.co.uk/national-health-service/public-health-and-wellbeing/beveridge-report/

Our NHS is universal, as is Canada's; Germany's is contributory.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Sean_F said:

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Plus I think there are quite a lot of voters who think that when it comes to welfare within a country it should be possible to distinguish between British nationals and others

So take child benefit: introduced to help families with the cost of childcare here in Britain. Why should it be paid to people working here for children living in another country just because they are EU nationals?

The Mastricht treaty implied that countries would have to have broadly similar welfare systems to avoid these sorts of distortions. But rather than say this expressly and get agreement to this, these sorts of changes were introduced by a side route, much like the euro was used to force economic reforms on countries. There is something underhand and undemocratic about it. But the logic of having euro citizenship is that many things which people assumed to be based on nationality suffered immense strain or effectively had to be ditched. And enough people in Britain said in the end that they did not want this.

Ironically, the endless arguments about the euro around the time of the Mastricht Treaty were, arguably, focused on the wrong thing. The implications of eurocitizenship were more important, more likely to impact on peoples’ every day lives and their perception of change within the country and have turned into the rock on which Britain’s EU membership has foundered.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    surby said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Cameron could still be PM. The ed his career - not the break from the LibDems.
    Certainly his failure

Neither country is a major source of immigration to the UK. (Ireland was, but 50 years ago)
    You don't get the benefits if you haven't contributed.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    surby said:

Sean_F said:

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

There is no comparison. Heath took Britain into Europe because asleep at the wheel.

I'm sure you'd also love the Irish health care system.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

matt said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Of course there were bn fine ,within the EU, so long as we treated EU nationals exactly the same as British Nationals.

Plus I think there are quite a lot of voters who think that when it comes to welfare within a country it should be possible to distinguish between British nationals and others

So take child benefit: introduced to help families with the cost of childcare here in Britain. Why should it be paid to people working here for children living in another country just because they are EU nationals?

The Mastricht treaty implied that countries would have to have broadly similar welfare systems to avoid these sorts of distortions. But rather than say this expressly and get agreement to this, these sorts of changes were introduced by a side route, much like the euro was used to force economic reforms on countries. There is something underhand and undemocratic about it. But the logic of having euro citizenship is that many things which people assumed to be based on nationality suffered immense strain or effectively had to be ditched. And enough people in Britain said in the end that they did not want this.

Ironically, the endless arguments about the euro around the time of the Mastricht Treaty were, arguably, focused on the wrong thing. The implications of eurocitizenship were more important, more likely to impact on peoples’ every day lives and their perception of change within the country and have turned into the rock on which Britain’s EU membership has foundered.
    Yes. Most of us never wanted EU citizenship, and saw it as an imposition.

I don't see what's wrong about treating your own differently from outsiders.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

+1

I notice the ‘let’s just reform our welfare system’ advocates are arely those who rely on it...

And rarely those on low wages, either.

I notice many of those advocates are equally the first to scream blue murder about 'Tory cuts' any time a reform to our system is actually mooted.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

@DecrepitJohnL

Please learn some history. Yes, that goes for Paxman too. And until you have done so, please refrain from making remarks that only showcase your ignorance of the subject.

Perhaps it is you who should go back to history school. Brown led the fight against the global financial crisis. Chamberlain sought peace but also began rearmament -- perhaps you have him confused with Stanley Baldwin. Goderich, your own choice, seems to have done nothing of note in his five months in Downing Street, for good or ill.
    Brown was and still is an absolute dumpling, must be the worst politician never mind PM in History.
    You say that only because Brown's intervention was crucial in Sindyref. The route to Scottish independence is simple: Nicola Sturgeon must investigate what has gone wrong with Scottish football, and fix it. A successful Euro or World Cup run will do wonders for Scottish national spirit. Scotland is not too wee -- Croatia is smaller and reached the World Cup final; nor is the SPL too poor, since it supplied players for many countries in Moscow. Maybe it is the schools -- anyway, football must be the SNP's priority.
    Cf. Belgium. Not that it does their government much good.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

matt said:

Switching the entire basis of the welfare state to a contributory model would probably have done almost nothing to reduce immigration, which was of course stoked by predominantly younger people who came with job offers or were actively looking for (largely low-paid) work. I think most of us can agree that benefit scrounging was not a major factor in all of this, except perhaps in the minds of some referendum voters who erroneously believed that it was happening on a large scale.

What it would've done, on the other hand, was to strip young adults of virtually all of their entitlements - because the only way that the British Government could've got round EU rules on the equal treatment of member state citizens would've been to make its own people as well as everybody else's contribute through NI for a set period of time (e.g. 3 years) before receiving an entitlement to Income Support, JSA and other goodies. That would've been politically unsustainable.

In any event, withholding benefits would've done nothing to resolve the additional pressure on public services and especially housing imposed by a growing population.

The UK is substantially smaller than any of the rest of the EU's big 6, and almost half of it is the three Celtic nations which consist very largely of remote upland terrain quite unsuited to urban development. England alone, where the vast bulk of immigrants to the UK want to live and which is only about a fifth of the size of Metropolitan France (and which already has a higher population density than any EU state save for Malta,) could really do without having the equivalent of an extra Liverpool added to it every year, but that's what was happening by 2016. Much of the population growth was natural, but about half was down to net international migration and I'd imagine a good chunk of the extra births were to immigrant families as well.

As population grows so all of the extra people need to be housed, but space also needs to be found for their cars, extra capacity needs to be built into the public transport system as well, new places of work, schools, hospitals, shops and other amenities need to be constructed, and additional food, water and power have to be laid on. Our water resources are finite and already vulnerable to prolonged drought, and each time we accept another thousand people, and sacrifice a few more hectares of agricultural land to house them, so our dependence on expensive imported food increases.

Thus, one might conclude that voters who thought that stuffing Britain with an endless number of extra people was unsustainable - socially, economically and environmentally - had a point.
    People doing low wage jobs would also benefit from tax credits. Would those jobs have been as attractive without them?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited August 2018
    Just a reminder that the bulk of welfare spending is pensions not some strawman Romanian sponger. The reason why the NHS is in crisis isn't because there's a million Polish plumbers clogging up our wards, but because successive UK governments haven't solved the elderly care crisis.

Blaming the perfidious foreigner for the fact that old people live too long seems a bit.. stupid? Racist? Self-defeating?

Yes. Unless Brexit is a cunning plan to make all our elderly starve. That would explain quite a lot of things the Tories are doing.
  • Options
    surby said:

Many were.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

There is no comparison. Heath took Britain into Europe because asleep at the wheel.

One thing that might have worked was some sort of brake once the level of free movement went above a country’s percentage of total EU population. So I think the figures are that Britain has ca. 12% of the EU’s population but received about 40% of the free movement. Something that would have allowed a brake to get those figures more in line with each other might well have helped. Something to show that the burdens of free movement were more fairly shared might have helped. As it was, it looked to some as if the burdens were disproportionately borne by one country only.

Rationing places for Brits in the Spanish winter sunshine?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Former Labour minister resigns from party: 'It's just not the place for me any more'

Tom Harris says decision 'feels like a bereavement' as he quits amid antisemitism row"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-minister-resigns-party-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn-tom-harris-a8477456.html
  • Options

Just a reminder that the bulk of welfare spending is pensions not some strawman Romanian sponger. The reason why the NHS is in crisis isn't because there's a million Polish plumbers clogging up our wards, but because successive UK governments haven't solved the elderly care crisis.

Blaming the perfidious foreigner for the fact that old people live too long seems a bit.. stupid? Racist? Self-defeating?

Yes. Unless Brexit is a cunning plan to make all our elderly starve. That would explain quite a lot of things the Tories are doing.

No, although I suspect you would wish that it was.

How you must regret having ever supported the Conservatives!
  • Options
    Acorn_AntiquesAcorn_Antiques Posts: 196
    edited August 2018
    Quite.

“Jeremy Corbyn must be the unluckiest anti-racist in history,” said Dave Rich, head of policy at the Community Security Trust, the charity set up to protect the Jewish community. “He repeatedly manages to get involved with organisations and people that promote antisemitism and Holocaust denial, apparently without ever noticing anything is amiss. It’s the same old excuse and it wore thin long ago.”
  • Options

Genuine question - what is your solution to address elderly social care
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

If said Poiish plumber is a net contributor and pays his taxes and doesn't do cash in hand work fine but we are as a nation spending tens of billions on welfare for working age households Including tax credits, housing benefit, child benefit and more let alone the cost of using public services like schools or the NHS. EU migrants on low incomes have been eligible for those immediately and aren't therefore paying in but taking out.

Yes pensions cost money but most of those getting them did pay into the system for 40 years - importing people who cost money from day one and aren't working or if they are are doing low skilled work isn't neceessarily helping to deal with the issue you raise.

I think the point being not all migrants are net contributors so perhaps like the Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians we should only be letting in the highly skilled or those likely to be net contributors who will help pay for the costs of our elderly. Cos a welfare system should really be mainly for the elderly and disabled - not the fit and healthy of working age who may not even be citizens.

I expect at least that is what some people who voted Brexit were voting for - an end to a free for all and we pick the migrants based on their skills and qualifications not they pick us even if they have no skills at all or may live on welfare.
  • Options

Proportion of population born in another EU country = 6%

Proportion of UK working age benefits claimaints from the EU = 2.5% (proportion even lower if you factor in pensioners)
  • Options

For any good libertarian, the solution is let them starve.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Arsebiscuits.

Fucking arsebiscuits.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    AndyJS said:

"Former Labour minister resigns from party: 'It's just not the place for me any more'

Tom Harris says decision 'feels like a bereavement' as he quits amid antisemitism row"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-minister-resigns-party-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn-tom-harris-a8477456.html

It's a mystery why he's gone.

'TOM HARRIS: Now we socialists have a real leader offering Left-wing policies... Theresa May'

https://tinyurl.com/y9xjtjn8

That he was bigging up Tessy's train crash manifesto in the Mail just adds to the belly laughs.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,629
    As I never tire of saying, tariffs are paid by the indigeneous population, not the foreigners. They are a tax, not an income.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    IanB2 said:

Proportion of UK working age benefits claimaints from the EU = 2.5% (proportion even lower if you factor in pensioners)
    So almost every second EU migrant claims benefits? Interesting.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,644

AndyJS said:

'TOM HARRIS: Now we socialists have a real leader offering Left-wing policies... Theresa May'

That he was bigging up Tessy's train crash manifesto in the Mail just adds to the belly laughs.
    It does rather show that predictions of any mass exodus are, as ever, very much unlikely to appear, since it shows how far someone can be from the direction of the party, for how long, without quitting.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

That's what will happen ultimately. There isn't a viable option for the UK that doesn't involve a close relationship with the EU. No Deal, which has never been workable end state, seems to have been killed off in the past couple of weeks amid talk of shortages of foods and medicines. Therefore that the terms of that close relationship will be set almost entirely by the European Union. The choice put in front of the electorate, and as understood by it, was a false one. It was never available. The actual choice is between being a member of the European Union and participating in collective decision making, influencing those decisions while being bound by them. Or being bound by decisions made by others who have absolutely no incentive to consider our interest, so we what we are told.

Given that actually IS our choice, I suspect most Leavers will opt for doing what we are told rather than participation, but they will complain bitterly about it.

BINO doesn't exist. It's Vassal State and much worse.

So, in your view, it's Alexei Sayle's choice between sticking your head in a bucket of shit, or sticking your head in a bucket of acid?
    Not my view. I am in favour of participating in things that are in our interest. The point is we are not willing to take a significant cut in our prosperity and mess with the way we do things. Hence No Deal is off the table. Hence we either participate in the EU or we do what we are told. I assume Leavers will take do as we told over participation. Whatever, that's always been the choice.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,644
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

That's what will happen ultimately. There isn't a viable option for the UK that doesn't involve a close relationship with the EU. No Deal, which has never been workable end state, seems to have been killed off in the past couple of weeks amid talk of shortages of foods and medicines. Therefore that the terms of that close relationship will be set almost entirely by the European Union. The choice put in front of the electorate, and as understood by it, was a false one. It was never available. The actual choice is between being a member of the European Union and participating in collective decision making, influencing those decisions while being bound by them. Or being bound by decisions made by others who have absolutely no incentive to consider our interest, so we what we are told.

Given that actually IS our choice, I suspect most Leavers will opt for doing what we are told rather than participation, but they will complain bitterly about it.

So, in your view, it's Alexei Sayle's choice between sticking your head in a bucket of shit, or sticking your head in a bucket of acid?
    Not my view. I am in favour of participating in things that are in our interest. The point is we are not willing to take a significant cut in our prosperity and mess with the way we do things. Hence No Deal is off the table. Hence we either participate in the EU or we do what we are told. I assume Leavers will take do as we told over participation. Whatever, that's always been the choice.
    I think the assumption no deal is off the deal relies heavily on assumptions of people not daring to go down that path, or those opposed to it being able to control a chaotic situation.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Here is where we differ. We participate in things that are not in our interest.

You give us the choice between continued participation, or getting a beating if we cease to do so.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Not entirely true even in the single market where Norway does not apply about 25% of EU law
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

For any good libertarian, the solution is let them starve.
    Hence both libertarianism and socialism had a negative rating in last week's Opinium.

Most voters are in the centre economically
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But the issue is that the main form of giving taxpayer cash to EU nationals is not benefits it is tax credits which are not classed as benefits.
  • Options

It was more pressure on wages for the lower paid and on housing that drove concerns over free movement
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Not entirely true even in the single market where Norway does not apply about 25% of EU law
    100% of the law that they do apply via the EEA is dictated by the EU.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

IanB2 said:

So almost every second EU migrant claims benefits? Interesting.
    Err, no. The denominators of the two percentages are quite different.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1025838651073282048

Wishful thinking: number 10,344,787 in an ongoing series (sadly)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

100% of the law that they do apply via the EEA is dictated by the EU.
    True but they do not apply all of it and even if they did they would be only one vote out of 28
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    viewcode said:

As I never tire of saying, tariffs are paid by the indigeneous population, not the foreigners. They are a tax, not an income.
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1025832084521119745

The Five Year Tractor Target is on track!
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

IanB2 said:

But the issue is that the main form of giving taxpayer cash to EU nationals is not benefits it is tax credits which are not classed as benefits.
    And of course why do we want any migrants who cost us money in welfare from day one - the only exceptions being those with skills in areas where we have shortages such as nurses where pay isn't high.

The proportion of non citizen migrants who get welfare on day one in a sensible society would surely ideally be zero?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

I think the assumption no deal is off the deal relies heavily on assumptions of people not daring to go down that path, or those opposed to it being able to control a chaotic situation.
    I've stated to assume that "No Deal" will happen: the Conservative MPs are too full of people who are a) dumb as shit, or b) deliberately ignorant, or c) rich enough to survive the fallout, or d) will actually gain financially from the chaos, or e) some combination of the above. The Labour MPs are the same. The rest are the same and irrelevant.

Hey, ain't politics fun.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

You give us the choice between continued participation, or getting a beating if we cease to do so.
    I don't give anyone choices. If we are not willing to risk our lifestyles, and there is little evidence that we are, doing what we are told is the choice if we don't want to participate.

The prospect of shortages of certain foods.and medicines spooked people.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

It does rather show that predictions of any mass exodus are, as ever, very much unlikely to appear, since it shows how far someone can be from the direction of the party, for how long, without quitting.
    Call me a cynic (which I am of course) but I wonder if Harris might have delayed his act of renunciation a little longer if he was still an mp.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

I don't give anyone choices. If we are not willing to risk our lifestyles, and there is little evidence that we are, doing what we are told is the choice if we don't want to participate.

You say the prospect of food and medicines spooked people. I say they were just ignored as project fear mark 2 and the population just yawned.
    Who is right?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    FF43 said:

This has been the main difference between us underpinning our predictions about how things will play out from the beginning. My view is that when faced with the real choice, too many Leavers will choose EU membership for the continuation of the project to be tenable.

Boris is still the prime candidate for a public proclamation that Brexit isn't worth it.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1025838651073282048

Wishful thinking: number 10,344,787 in an ongoing series (sadly)

Almost certainly. But something hovers in the summer shimmer. Perhaps, the possibility of new beginnings.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

FF43 said:

This has been the main difference between us underpinning our predictions about how things will play out from the beginning. My view is that when faced with the real choice, too many Leavers will choose EU membership for the continuation of the project to be tenable.

Boris is still the prime candidate for a public proclamation that Brexit isn't worth it.
    With a gun to their head most Leavers would choose just staying in the single market over the full EU which is where we will likely end up after a few years of bringing immigration down but for the moment the vast majority of Leave voters polled back No Deal
  • Options
    Acorn_AntiquesAcorn_Antiques Posts: 196
    edited August 2018

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Call me a cynic (which I am of course) but I wonder if Harris might have delayed his act of renunciation a little longer if he was still an mp.
    You and me both. He'd be sitting tight like (almost all) the rest of them have, of course.
  • Options
    @GnasherJew

Has new info. If it is true, then this story has just started...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Who is he ?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    AndyJS said:

When will they realise that a) they have been totally, comprehensively beaten and humiliated, and b) their residual loyalty to the labour party (they resign, they don't join another party) plays 100% in to Corbyn's hands.

The logic of their position is that they should fight to destroy the labour party.
  • Options
    Do we normally have polls in early August ?
  • Options
    surby said:

AndyJS said:

Who is he ?
    He was SLab mp for Glasgow south and was trounced in the 2015 avalanche. He led the Vote Leave campaign in Scotland.
  • Options
    nielh said:

AndyJS said:

When will they realise that a) they have been totally, comprehensively beaten and humiliated, and b) their residual loyalty to the labour party (they resign, they don't join another party) plays 100% in to Corbyn's hands.

The logic of their position is that they should fight to destroy the labour party.
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1025844714069786624
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited August 2018
    I just made sounds that sound a lot like sex noises.

Patrick Stewart is going to reprise the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek set to air on CBS All Access, the network announced Saturday.

More than 20 years after Star Trek: The Next Generation ended, the new show will focus on the "next chapter" in the life of the beloved captain of the starship Enterprise.

Alex Kurtzman, the showrunner behind the Star Trek: Discovery series currently airing on CBS All Access, announced the news at a fan convention in Las Vegas on Saturday, bringing out Stewart to a thrilled audience.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/patrick-stewart-star-trek-jean-luc-picard-new-cbs?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    surby said:

One just out asking if travellers prefer British passports only queues at airports.

As half the country is on holiday in August it is difficult to get accurate polls so those that are tend to be lifestyle or tongue in cheek

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/results#/survey/117c1386-96f8-11e8-8ea4-e1d7024ea98f
  • Options

Patrick Stewart is going to reprise the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek set to air on CBS All Access, the network announced Saturday.

More than 20 years after Star Trek: The Next Generation ended, the new show will focus on the "next chapter" in the life of the beloved captain of the starship Enterprise.

Alex Kurtzman, the showrunner behind the Star Trek: Discovery series currently airing on CBS All Access, announced the news at a fan convention in Las Vegas on Saturday, bringing out Stewart to a thrilled audience.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/patrick-stewart-star-trek-jean-luc-picard-new-cbs?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE HE IS FAR TOO OLD NOW!

It was an addiction to the original crew that turned ST:TOS into a joke, now they're going to do the same ting for TNG? Unless they do a Logan on it and turn it into an elegy for old men, it's a fucking stupid idea.
  • Options

What???????????????????????????????????

Wow!
  • Options

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Let me ask a question: why are Frank Field, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Gavin Stringer still members of the Labour Party.

These people are traitors.
  • Options
    Sky saying that Watson has declared war on Corbyn.

The crisis for labour just gets worse day by day
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:

One just out asking if travellers prefer British passports only queues at airports.

As half the country is on holiday in August it is difficult to get accurate polls so those that are tend to be lifestyle or tongue in cheek

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/results#/survey/117c1386-96f8-11e8-8ea4-e1d7024ea98f
    I know the result without even looking at it
  • Options
    nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Which they won't do, especially not the sitting MPs. I think that 3 or 4 have resigned from the party or had the whip withdrawn, usually in response to serious disciplinary charges (contested or otherwise.) Margaret Hodge has picked a fight with the leadership, but she's 73 IIRC and therefore has no career left to lose. Most of them are more-or-less silent. They've given up.

The calculation of the moderates is, presumably, that if the public aren't put off Corbyn by all of this then they won't suffer any damage through association. They are going to sit it out and hope that events come to their rescue - either that Corbyn is defeated in another election and all the wind is knocked out of the revolution, or that he has some health incident that removes him from office.

The latter is very unlikely, given that he's not that old and appears to be well, and if they're putting their faith in the former then they're kidding themselves. The faith of Corbyn's followers is unshakeable, and even if he is defeated in a GE he'll either keep plodding on, or make sure that the leadership election rules guarantee the success of an ideologically approved candidate before he resigns.

The Far Left won't make the same mistakes as the Centre-Left have done: no opportunity will be afforded for a counter-revolution. The Labour Party is theirs now - permanently.
  • Options

Frankly, about bloody time. Is this the moment?
  • Options

surby said:

AndyJS said:

Who is he ?
    He was SLab mp for Glasgow south and was trounced in the 2015 avalanche. He led the Vote Leave campaign in Scotland.
    Good riddance !
  • Options
    surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Let me ask a question: why are Frank Field, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Gavin Stringer still members of the Labour Party.

I see the broad church argument of politics has gone out of the window...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited August 2018
    Jon Craig of Sky - 'This is a declaration of war against Corbyn' as he reads Tom Watson's statement to the Observer

He added 'labour mps are lining up behind Tom Watson to the anger of the hard left'
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

And it's actually Graham Stringer.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

The writer is an author and fellow in cultural studies at Liverpool John Moores University.

Confirms what we already knew about the modern Labour Party
  • Options

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

What broad church ? This lot ensured that there was no election.
  • Options

Jon Craig of Sky - 'This is a declaration of war against Corbyn' as he reads Tom Watson's statement to the Observer

He added 'labour mps are lining up behind Tom Watson to the anger of the hard left'

Haven't we heard this nonsense before ?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options

No. Much of Corbyn’s front bench resigned two years ago and the PLP passed a vote of no confidence in him and he still survived. The moment will come only when the members turn against him.
  • Options
    surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

On that basis Grieve and Soubry and Woolaston should be kicked out of the Tory Party too but parties are broad churches
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

surby said:

AndyJS said:

Who is he ?
    And since he lost his seat he has been earning a crust by writing a column for the Torygraph. It's a bit of a surprise to find he was still a Labour Party member.
  • Options

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Which they won't do, especially not the sitting MPs. I think that 3 or 4 have resigned from the party or had the whip withdrawn, usually in response to serious disciplinary charges (contested or otherwise.) Margaret Hodge has picked a fight with the leadership, but she's 73 IIRC and therefore has no career left to lose. Most of them are more-or-less silent. They've given up.

The calculation of the moderates is, presumably, that if the public aren't put off Corbyn by all of this then they won't suffer any damage through association. They are going to sit it out and hope that events come to their rescue - either that Corbyn is defeated in another election and all the wind is knocked out of the revolution, or that he has some health incident that removes him from office.

The latter is very unlikely, given that he's not that old and appears to be well, and if they're putting their faith in the former then they're kidding themselves. The faith of Corbyn's followers is unshakeable, and even if he is defeated in a GE he'll either keep plodding on, or make sure that the leadership election rules guarantee the success of an ideologically approved candidate before he resigns.

The Far Left won't make the same mistakes as the Centre-Left have done: no opportunity will be afforded for a counter-revolution. The Labour Party is theirs now - permanently.
    In which case whether Corbyn wins or loses the next general election a new centrist party will ultimately be inevitable
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

No. They are independent-minded left of centre politicians who represent their constituents with respect and honesty.

It is very clear who the traitors are. And it is not Field, Hoey, Mann, Stringer.
  • Options
    Abso-fucking-lutely
  • Options
    surby said:

Haven't we heard this nonsense before ?
    Not as it is only published in tomorrows Observer. And why is it nonsense. Tom Watson publicly taking on Corbyn is box office though expect deselection process will start soon no doubt.

This is the summer labour tears itself apart
  • Options
    I did tell you all Dave absolutely loathes Gove.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1025852566406610944
  • Options

No. Much of Corbyn’s front bench resigned two years ago and the PLP passed a vote of no confidence in him and he still survived. The moment will come only when the members turn against him.
    Or more likely the voters
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Certainly these people should be called to account for themselves but I don't think it is helpful to stoop to the level of extreme Brexiteers and use the language of treachery. Misguided and disloyal perhaps but not treasonous.
  • Options
    I’m not surprised Cameron isn’t a big Michael Gove fan.
    @Big_G_NorthWales Even in that event, if the hard left control Labour entirely at that point, Corbyn will either stay or he’ll get replaced by a candidate from the Left. The moderates are done, and they only have themselves to blame.
  • Options

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Certainly these people should be called to account for themselves but I don't think it is helpful to stoop to the level of extreme Brexiteers and use the language of treachery. Misguided and disloyal perhaps but not treasonous.
    They are far more loyal than Corbyn has ever been to the Labour Party. Far, far, far more.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Oh, do grow up. Just the other day you said that the Jewish Museum were preventing free speech by not allowing Corbyn to give a speech there.

You have lost the plot.

Those people you name will have done more for the Labour Party than you - an Internet warrior - have ever done.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

You say the prospect of food and medicines spooked people. I say they were just ignored as project fear mark 2 and the population just yawned.
    Who is right?
    On topic I am pretty sure the consequences of No Deal are what is motivating Theresa May and her attempts to square the Brexit circle. I don't discount the possibility of No Deal happening but I'm pretty sure it won't be a state that would last more than a few days. What is certain is that no-one is prepared to compromise on their lifestyles for Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In which case whether Corbyn wins or loses the next general election a new centrist party will ultimately be inevitable
    We shall see. I'm not so sure. Problem with trying to replace Labour is that people are used to Labour. Most Labour (and Conservative) voters do it out of habit. Any new centrist party would scarcely get a look in.

That's another reason why potential Labour defectors have given up. If they leave the party they have to fight the party name. In a high-profile by-election they might stand a chance, but in a general election they'd be wiped out by the habit voters. All that would happen is they'd get an extra helping of being roasted alive by incandescent far Leftists for peeling a few thousand votes off Labour candidates here and there and letting a few dozen extra Tories in through the middle.

And yes, I know, this is all dreadfully pessimistic. But I find that if I assume the worst in situations such as these then I'm less disappointed when I'm proved right.
  • Options

I’m not surprised Cameron isn’t a big Michael Gove fan.
    @Big_G_NorthWales Even in that event, if the hard left control Labour entirely at that point, Corbyn will either stay or he’ll get replaced by a candidate from the Left. The moderates are done, and they only have themselves to blame.

You may well be correct, sadly
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited August 2018

I was more taken by Liam Fox in “it’s all someone elses’ fault”. Part 74 for a long running series where leave voters and enthusasists fail to take any responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
  • Options

Interestingly it also says Cameron holds no grudge with Boris despite his loathing for Gove and that had Remain won he expected Osborne or Boris to succeed him
  • Options
    @Acorn_Antiques I agree with you on a new centrist party. People are clearly attached to the Labour brand. What happened to Danczuk is a prime example.
  • Options
    matt said:

I was more taken by Liam Fox in “it’s all someone elses’ fault”. Part 74 for a long running series where leave voters and enthusasists fail to take any responsibility for the consequences of their actions.
    Well if I wanted to prove the idiocy of Leavers and Liam Fox I'd do the morning thread based on that front page and this quote by Dr Fox from last year.

'The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.'
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We shall see. I'm not so sure. Problem with trying to replace Labour is that people are used to Labour. Most Labour (and Conservative) voters do it out of habit. Any new centrist party would scarcely get a look in.

That's another reason why potential Labour defectors have given up. If they leave the party they have to fight the party name. In a high-profile by-election they might stand a chance, but in a general election they'd be wiped out by the habit voters. All that would happen is they'd get an extra helping of being roasted alive by incandescent far Leftists for peeling a few thousand votes off Labour candidates here and there and letting a few dozen extra Tories in through the middle.

And yes, I know, this is all dreadfully pessimistic. But I find that if I assume the worst in situations such as these then I'm less disappointed when I'm proved right.
    I do think your post tend on the pessimitic but thinking the worst but hoping it does not happen is maybe a very practical way of keeping sane, especially in these tumultuous times
This discussion has been closed.