Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Celebrating Theresa May – against all odds she’s still there a

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,702

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

"Former Labour minister resigns from party: 'It's just not the place for me any more'

Tom Harris says decision 'feels like a bereavement' as he quits amid antisemitism row"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-minister-resigns-party-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn-tom-harris-a8477456.html

When will they realise that a) they have been totally, comprehensively beaten and humiliated, and b) their residual loyalty to the labour party (they resign, they don't join another party) plays 100% in to Corbyn's hands.

The logic of their position is that they should fight to destroy the labour party.
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1025844714069786624
    Let me ask a question: why are Frank Field, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Gavin Stringer still members of the Labour Party.

These people are traitors.
    Oh, do grow up. Just the other day you said that the Jewish Museum were preventing free speech by not allowing Corbyn to give a speech there.

You have lost the plot.

Those people you name will have done more for the Labour Party than you - an Internet warrior - have ever done.
    Given their recent voting record, they seem to be doing more for the Conservative party... :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1025855217655525376

Wishful thinking? Or first fall of the dominoes?
  • Options

@Acorn_Antiques I agree with you on a new centrist party. People are clearly attached to the Labour brand. What happened to Danczuk is a prime example.

I really wouldn't read too much in the Danczuk example given the allegations that were brought against him.
  • Options

It does seem a big moment
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Tom Watson's wish should be to lose some weight - a lot of it.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,395
    edited August 2018
    Just to interject a note of cheer into this chorus of doom, today I went with my daughters to see the Bee statues in Manchester. Well they're wonderful. The whole city feels like an art gallery or a museum; people stop and chat with strangers while examining them, and best of all there are children in the city. I'm very fond of Manchester, but it can feel a very adult place which discourages chdilren - but here was a reason to show my children my city, and for them to enjoy it. Someone - can't remember who and can't be bothered to look it up - once said that the presence of children is an important indicator of the health of a city: if that is true - and I think there is something in it - Manchester just got a lot healthier.

I don't know how the bees stand up as art, and I don't really care. I'm not Brian Sewell, thank God. But they're very jolly and far more uplifting than any of the whingey shite in the Tate Modern.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

A breakaway 'Reality Labour' party under Watson could garner sufficient numbers to become the official opposition party in the Commons. I hate the thought of Watson leading anything as he is an odious toad but he should do this for the good of our democracy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Which they won't do, especially not the sitting MPs. I think that 3 or 4 have resigned from the party or had the whip withdrawn, usually in response to serious disciplinary charges (contested or otherwise.) Margaret Hodge has picked a fight with the leadership, but she's 73 IIRC and therefore has no career left to lose. Most of them are more-or-less silent. They've given up.

The calculation of the moderates is, presumably, that if the public aren't put off Corbyn by all of this then they won't suffer any damage through association. They are going to sit it out and hope that events come to their rescue - either that Corbyn is defeated in another election and all the wind is knocked out of the revolution, or that he has some health incident that removes him from office.

The latter is very unlikely, given that he's not that old and appears to be well, and if they're putting their faith in the former then they're kidding themselves. The faith of Corbyn's followers is unshakeable, and even if he is defeated in a GE he'll either keep plodding on, or make sure that the leadership election rules guarantee the success of an ideologically approved candidate before he resigns.

The Far Left won't make the same mistakes as the Centre-Left have done: no opportunity will be afforded for a counter-revolution. The Labour Party is theirs now - permanently.

In which case whether Corbyn wins or loses the next general election a new centrist party will ultimately be inevitable
    We shall see. I'm not so sure. Problem with trying to replace Labour is that people are used to Labour. Most Labour (and Conservative) voters do it out of habit. Any new centrist party would scarcely get a look in.

That's another reason why potential Labour defectors have given up. If they leave the party they have to fight the party name. In a high-profile by-election they might stand a chance, but in a general election they'd be wiped out by the habit voters. All that would happen is they'd get an extra helping of being roasted alive by incandescent far Leftists for peeling a few thousand votes off Labour candidates here and there and letting a few dozen extra Tories in through the middle.

And yes, I know, this is all dreadfully pessimistic. But I find that if I assume the worst in situations such as these then I'm less disappointed when I'm proved right.
    The SDP-Liberal Alliance got 25% at the 1983 general election, similar to the score En Marche got in the first round in France.

I expect a new centrist party here would get a similar score without much difficulty and would merge with the LDs.

Arguably without the SDP there would have been no New Labour a decade later
  • Options
    surby said:

He already has, around 5/6 stone.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    surby said:

Have we reached peak surbiton on this thread? :D
  • Options
    surby said:

Getting to you is he - no doubt he will be told to go and join the tories !!!
  • Options

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

"Former Labour minister resigns from party: 'It's just not the place for me any more'

Tom Harris says decision 'feels like a bereavement' as he quits amid antisemitism row"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-minister-resigns-party-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn-tom-harris-a8477456.html

When will they realise that a) they have been totally, comprehensively beaten and humiliated, and b) their residual loyalty to the labour party (they resign, they don't join another party) plays 100% in to Corbyn's hands.

The logic of their position is that they should fight to destroy the labour party.
    Let me ask a question: why are Frank Field, Kate Hoey, John Mann and Gavin Stringer still members of the Labour Party.

Oh, do grow up. Just the other day you said that the Jewish Museum were preventing free speech by not allowing Corbyn to give a speech there.

You have lost the plot.

Those people you name will have done more for the Labour Party than you - an Internet warrior - have ever done.
    I know. They supported a Conservative government win a vote by 3 votes. The bas****s.
  • Options

A breakaway 'Reality Labour' party under Watson could garner sufficient numbers to become the official opposition party in the Commons. I hate the thought of Watson leading anything as he is an odious toad but he should do this for the good of our democracy.
    Maybe it is the late evening and humid summer air, but this feels like something important is happening.
  • Options

surby said:

He already has, around 5/6 stone.
    Another 5/6 stone more then. C'mon Tom, you can do it !
  • Options

Wishful thinking. The moderates are already defeated, they have no means to remove the leader and they're too frightened to push the nuclear button and split.

If enough of them went en bloc to replace Labour outright as the Parliamentary Opposition then they might stand a chance of success, but the risk of the left-wing vote splitting evenly and wiping both sides out in an election is too great for them.

They'll just sit on their hands and hope that something turns up. Which it most likely won't. The Far Left doesn't even need to bother with deselecting such cowed individuals, it can just wait until they find other jobs or retire and then select pliant Momentum activists or ex-SWP entryists to fill their seats.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

Which they won't do, especially not the sitting MPs. I think that 3 or 4 have resigned from the party or had the whip withdrawn, usually in response to serious disciplinary charges (contested or otherwise.) Margaret Hodge has picked a fight with the leadership, but she's 73 IIRC and therefore has no career left to lose. Most of them are more-or-less silent. They've given up.

The calculation of the moderates is, presumably, that if the public aren't put off Corbyn by all of this then they won't suffer any damage through association. They are going to sit it out and hope that events come to their rescue - either that Corbyn is defeated in another election and all the wind is knocked out of the revolution, or that he has some health incident that removes him from office.

The latter is very unlikely, given that he's not that old and appears to be well, and if they're putting their faith in the former then they're kidding themselves. The faith of Corbyn's followers is unshakeable, and even if he is defeated in a GE he'll either keep plodding on, or make sure that the leadership election rules guarantee the success of an ideologically approved candidate before he resigns.

The Far Left won't make the same mistakes as the Centre-Left have done: no opportunity will be afforded for a counter-revolution. The Labour Party is theirs now - permanently.
    The 'sit tight' theory is 3 years old. They can't seriously believe in it.
    So, events have basically revealed them to be useless careerists. They all deserve to be deselected.
  • Options
    I have lived through far too many Dan Hodges’ predictions to get my hopes up this time:
    https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/755687730739286016?s=21
  • Options

Sky saying that Watson has declared war on Corbyn.

The crisis for labour just gets worse day by day

Frankly, about bloody time. Is this the moment?
    No. Much of Corbyn’s front bench resigned two years ago and the PLP passed a vote of no confidence in him and he still survived. The moment will come only when the members turn against him.
    Or more likely the voters
    He only increased the Labour vote from 30% to 40%.
  • Options

surby said:

Jon Craig of Sky - 'This is a declaration of war against Corbyn' as he reads Tom Watson's statement to the Observer

He added 'labour mps are lining up behind Tom Watson to the anger of the hard left'

Haven't we heard this nonsense before ?
    Not as it is only published in tomorrows Observer. And why is it nonsense. Tom Watson publicly taking on Corbyn is box office though expect deselection process will start soon no doubt.

This is the summer labour tears itself apart
    Haven't we heard this nonsense before too ?
  • Options
    Sky papers - Emily Benn calling for Corbyn to go
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Not my view. I am in favour of participating in things that are in our interest. The point is we are not willing to take a significant cut in our prosperity and mess with the way we do things. Hence No Deal is off the table. Hence we either participate in the EU or we do what we are told. I assume Leavers will take do as we told over participation. Whatever, that's always been the choice.

This has been the main difference between us underpinning our predictions about how things will play out from the beginning. My view is that when faced with the real choice, too many Leavers will choose EU membership for the continuation of the project to be tenable.

Boris is still the prime candidate for a public proclamation that Brexit isn't worth it.
    With a gun to their head most Leavers would choose just staying in the single market over the full EU which is where we will likely end up after a few years of bringing immigration down but for the moment the vast majority of Leave voters polled back No Deal
    This idea of “a few years outside the single market” is pure fantasy.
  • Options

Possibly the first sensible Benn-ite utterance in decades.
  • Options

As in the scion of Corbyn's personal God?
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

Jon Craig of Sky - 'This is a declaration of war against Corbyn' as he reads Tom Watson's statement to the Observer

He added 'labour mps are lining up behind Tom Watson to the anger of the hard left'

Not as it is only published in tomorrows Observer. And why is it nonsense. Tom Watson publicly taking on Corbyn is box office though expect deselection process will start soon no doubt.

Panic coursing through labour tonight
  • Options

Surprising you are playing dynastic politics. Suddenly, a Benn is good.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Not my view. I am in favour of participating in things that are in our interest. The point is we are not willing to take a significant cut in our prosperity and mess with the way we do things. Hence No Deal is off the table. Hence we either participate in the EU or we do what we are told. I assume Leavers will take do as we told over participation. Whatever, that's always been the choice.

This has been the main difference between us underpinning our predictions about how things will play out from the beginning. My view is that when faced with the real choice, too many Leavers will choose EU membership for the continuation of the project to be tenable.

Boris is still the prime candidate for a public proclamation that Brexit isn't worth it.
    With a gun to their head most Leavers would choose just staying in the single market over the full EU which is where we will likely end up after a few years of bringing immigration down but for the moment the vast majority of Leave voters polled back No Deal
    It isn't given how pivotal reducing immigration was to the Leave win
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    surby said:

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

You have lost the plot.

I know. They supported a Conservative government win a vote by 3 votes. The bas****s.
    They have done much more than that *for* the party. Then again, Corbyn's voting record isn't exactly *with* the party historically, is it? Why not treat him with the same level of contempt for disloyalty?

As I said above, you've lost the plot.
  • Options
    surby said:

Surprising you are playing dynastic politics. Suddenly, a Benn is good.
    No just reporting the news
  • Options

To be honest Corbyn didn't flinch when Benn's son tried to oust Corbyn back in 2016.
  • Options

surby said:

surby said:

Somebody down thread made the correct observation. The Labour brand is too strong. About 60 MPs if they leave will ensure a Tory landslide but those traitors will be out for good.
  • Options

Wishful thinking. The moderates are already defeated, they have no means to remove the leader and they're too frightened to push the nuclear button and split.

If enough of them went en bloc to replace Labour outright as the Parliamentary Opposition then they might stand a chance of success, but the risk of the left-wing vote splitting evenly and wiping both sides out in an election is too great for them.

They'll just sit on their hands and hope that something turns up. Which it most likely won't. The Far Left doesn't even need to bother with deselecting such cowed individuals, it can just wait until they find other jobs or retire and then select pliant Momentum activists or ex-SWP entryists to fill their seats.
    And yet - for your average middle-of-the-party Labour MP, the fear of letting in the Tories must be looking less and less terrifying when compared to what is happening to their left.

They grumpily put up with Corbyn-onomics, because a lot of Labour MPs started out a long way to the left economically. They're not that way now, but they don't have the emotional antipathy to it that we might expect because many of them were there once. The head fights it, but the heart doesn't. But the anti-semitism stuff is a different kettle of fish. It raises the emotional hackles. So maybe this time it will be different. Maybe.
  • Options

surby said:

surby said:

Thornberry clear Fav on BF at 7
  • Options
    Good news everybody.

The morning thread contains an extensive discussion about the Alternative Vote system.
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

Somebody down thread made the correct observation. The Labour brand is too strong. About 60 MPs if they leave will ensure a Tory landslide but those traitors will be out for good.
    So you think 60 labour mps will resign the whip. Even you seem to realise this is a big moment
  • Options

surby said:

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

You have lost the plot.

They have done much more than that *for* the party. Then again, Corbyn's voting record isn't exactly *with* the party historically, is it? Why not treat him with the same level of contempt for disloyalty?

Yes, Corbyn voted against a Labour government but not when a Labour government could have fallen.
  • Options

Well, Hilary Benn isn’t exactly a big fan of Corbyn either, so it’s not surprising other Benns might join him. Though Corbyn supporters said in response to Hilary opposing Corbyn that Corbyn was Tony Benn’s ‘spiritual son’ or whatever.
  • Options

I've never been Emily Benn's biggest fan, and can't see why that should change now. And the stupid left will just see her as traducing the family's name; a non-entity living off the greats.

On the other hand, she's gone slightly up in my estimation for speaking out against Corbyn and his cult.
  • Options

Possibly the first sensible Benn-ite utterance in decades.
    I am sure the useless Hilary would have been the first.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Good news everybody.

The morning thread contains an extensive discussion about the Alternative Vote system.

Then it’s nailed on. Labour splits tonight, to defer the AV thread....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,009
    edited August 2018

She's not the scion of God, just a very naughty girl.
  • Options

surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

So you think 60 labour mps will resign the whip. Even you seem to realise this is a big moment
    Note the word "if". Probably 3 might resign. They are all cowards - in all parties.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Good news everybody.

Shouldn't this message be in size 72 or something?? :o
  • Options
    Cookie said:

And yet - for your average middle-of-the-party Labour MP, the fear of letting in the Tories must be looking less and less terrifying when compared to what is happening to their left.

They grumpily put up with Corbyn-onomics, because a lot of Labour MPs started out a long way to the left economically. They're not that way now, but they don't have the emotional antipathy to it that we might expect because many of them were there once. The head fights it, but the heart doesn't. But the anti-semitism stuff is a different kettle of fish. It raises the emotional hackles. So maybe this time it will be different. Maybe.
    Nah. Most of Labour's MPs are limp as wet celery. And they have mortgages to finance.

Their version of the party is dead, but they'll stay on and support the replacement so they can keep collecting their wages.
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

You have lost the plot.

Yes, Corbyn voted against a Labour government but not when a Labour government could have fallen.
    It was a vote on an amendment.

It wasn’t going to lead to a govt falling.
  • Options

surby said:

surby said:

Thornberry clear Fav on BF at 7
    She will be a great leader. But can't see it happening unless Corbyn stands down which I cannot see happening.
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

Note the word "if". Probably 3 might resign. They are all cowards - in all parties.
    If Watson is leading a revolt as was suggested by Sky tonight he could have many labour mps willing to resign the whip. 130 and Corbyn would not lead the opposition
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

nielh said:

AndyJS said:

You have lost the plot.

That is just pathetic. Corbyn is as much a 'traitor' - to use your word - as these people. More so, n fact, if you take his voting record into account.

The odd thing is that I actually quite like that: I don't particularly like the whipping system, and like independently-minded MPs. But Corbyn goes too far.
  • Options

Good news everybody.

AV referendum 2011:

No2AV = 68%
    Yes2AV = 32%

Just sayin'
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good news everybody.

Shouldn't this message be in size 72 or something?? :o
    I suspect everyone will be focussing on another part of the thread, if I leave a certain passage in it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

It’s a fantasy because it’s completely detached from the reality of what it entails. It’s politics by numbers.
  • Options
    If labour mps grasp this moment and resign the whip and become a remain party adopting the peoples vote anything could happen
  • Options

If labour mps grasp this moment and resign the whip and become a remain party adopting the peoples vote anything could happen

Politics has been accelerating since 2010. God knows where we'll end up. It could be anything from a Corbynite Venezuela-style paradise to a JRM-style theocracy.

In other news: apology for the sweariness earlier. I've just learnt a loved uncle has died, and I'm slightly pi**ed in more ways than one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

It’s a fantasy because it’s completely detached from the reality of what it entails. It’s politics by numbers.
    It isn't as even May is technically leaving the single market and ending free movement in the Chequers Deal
  • Options

Cookie said:

Nah. Most of Labour's MPs are limp as wet celery. And they have mortgages to finance.

Their version of the party is dead, but they'll stay on and support the replacement so they can keep collecting their wages.
    Ha ha- maybe. But the ones who might rebel are the ones who could do rather better, financially, outside parliament, and who therefore can afford to take a more financially detached position. Employable, in some circumstance or other, most of them. This isn't the likes of Jared O'Meara we're talking about.

The heart is more important than the head in this circumstance. Not that there aren't a lot of heart-reasons for staying put: humans will find all sorts of reasons not to change their minds. But the Corbynistas do seem to to be trying to test this theory to destruction.
  • Options

Politics has been accelerating since 2010. God knows where we'll end up. It could be anything from a Corbynite Venezuela-style paradise to a JRM-style theocracy.

In other news: apology for the sweariness earlier. I've just learnt a loved uncle has died, and I'm slightly pi**ed in more ways than one.
    For Venezuela add Mexico under Lopez Obrador now too
  • Options

Doesn't seem likely, but sometimes history moves quickly, and seemingly out of nowhere.
  • Options

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and send you my condolence for you and the family at this sad time
  • Options

Sorry to hear that. Condolences Mr JJ.
  • Options
    How will the Cult respond?
  • Options

Doesn't seem likely, but sometimes history moves quickly, and seemingly out of nowhere.
    McDonnell has been drawn into it now on comments he has made and it does look like Corbyn's inner circle are facing a huge crisis of their own making
  • Options

Oh, it seems they have gone double or quits:

https://twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/status/1025843253436997634
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Switched on the news channel. The main story is Labour anti-semitism.
  • Options

With smears, obfuscation, denial and abuse?
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    Cookie said:

Just to interject a note of cheer into this chorus of doom, today I went with my daughters to see the Bee statues in Manchester. Well they're wonderful. The whole city feels like an art gallery or a museum; people stop and chat with strangers while examining them, and best of all there are children in the city. I'm very fond of Manchester, but it can feel a very adult place which discourages chdilren - but here was a reason to show my children my city, and for them to enjoy it. Someone - can't remember who and can't be bothered to look it up - once said that the presence of children is an important indicator of the health of a city: if that is true - and I think there is something in it - Manchester just got a lot healthier.

I don't know how the bees stand up as art, and I don't really care. I'm not Brian Sewell, thank God. But they're very jolly and far more uplifting than any of the whingey shite in the Tate Modern.

They did something similar with owls in Birmingham a year or so back and they seemed very popular with a lot of parent+child footfall around them. They were only temporary tho', so I have no idea if it would hold up in the long term.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Switched on the news channel. The main story is Labour anti-semitism.

Watson's declaration of war against Corbyn will dominate the news channels tomorrow and for days to come
  • Options
  • Options

The Israel lovers here have been very quite about this.
  • Options
    and is that Piers? Major climate change denier?

(I could be wrong)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

It isn't as even May is technically leaving the single market and ending free movement in the Chequers Deal
    'Technically'? So you admit that there won't be any meaningful change?
  • Options

McDonnell has been drawn into it now on comments he has made and it does look like Corbyn's inner circle are facing a huge crisis of their own making
    The crisis amounts to this: Labour cannot win Hendon and Barnet.
  • Options
    Will Lab now discipline their MP for Derby, given his actions this afternoon?
  • Options
    surby said:

Aren't the people demonstrating, um, Israelis??
  • Options
    surby said:

No, it is far more than that. It is about the revolutionaries facing up to each other and suddenly realising that actually comrade we have some fundamental differences here.
  • Options
    Time to wish everyone a pleasant nights rest

Sure labours crisis will be going on tomorrow and for a while yet

Good night
  • Options
    Acorn_AntiquesAcorn_Antiques Posts: 196
    edited August 2018

To be perfectly fair to the guy this can't plausibly be described as Jew-baiting. The law is a highly contentious measure brought forward by a government that has been heavily criticised over human rights issues on numerous previous occasions.

The timing could be regarded as a bit crackers under the circumstances, but then again it's hardly his fault that these events in Israel just happen to be going on now.

(EDIT: This is a comment on this specific issue and should not be taken as an endorsement of any of Mr Williamson's past idiocies)
  • Options

surby said:

As is their right. But are they actually saying the word 'apartheid'?
  • Options
    surby said:

The Israel haters were also quiet - why didn't they post it earlier? ;)

to make it clear from my point of view: there is much to dislike about the current Israeli regime atm. They're regressing from the path I'd like to see them on, and converging in a negative manner with some of the Palestinian factions - they're becoming more entrenched. This is not good for peace or the wider region. But that's no reason to allow anti-Semtism to fester.
  • Options

To be perfectly fair to the guy this can't plausibly be described as Jew-baiting. The law is a highly contentious measure brought forward by a government that has been heavily criticised over human rights issues on numerous previous occasions.

The timing could be regarded as a bit crackers under the circumstances, but then again it's hardly his fault that these events in Israel just happen to be going on now.
    Oh, for FFS, honestly, do you really think Williamson would be tweeting this on any other evening?
  • Options

surby said:

The Israel lovers here have been very quiet about this.
    I'm sure surby is being more than a little quiet about such nations as Iran and Pakistan defining themselves as "Islamic" Republics?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Under Chequers apart from replacing free movement with 'a mobility framework' not really, certainly not in terms of goods regulations and quite possibly ultimately in most services regulations too
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Thanks too you and Mr G. It was both expected - he had been ill for a while - and unexpected - he was much better. But he was a great guy and (gulp) only nineteen years older than me. Most of my uncles and aunts were much older than me - as a child he almost felt like he was my generation.

It just shows that with all the wondrous medical advances over the last few decades, we've got a long way to go.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Under Chequers apart from replacing free movement with 'a mobility framework' not really, certainly not in terms of goods regulations and quite possibly ultimately in most services regulations too
    So when you say "after a few years of bringing immigration down", this will have nothing to do with our deal with the EU?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Thanks too you and Mr G. It was both expected - he had been ill for a while - and unexpected - he was much better. But he was a great guy and (gulp) only nineteen years older than me. Most of my uncles and aunts were much older than me - as a child he almost felt like he was my generation.

It just shows that with all the wondrous medical advances over the last few decades, we've got a long way to go.
    My condolences also.

As you say, modern medicine can do wonders, but we are all of us still vulnerable to rotten luck.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183

My condolences, Mr Jessop.
  • Options
    "It is quite obvious why Jeremy Corbyn and Seamus Milne are so anxious to diminish these parts of the IHRA definition."

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Mortimer said:

@JJ

Best wishes. It sounds like you've got fond memories, and that's a very valuable thing indeed.
  • Options
    My condolences, @JosiasJessop - sorry to hear about the death of your uncle.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

surby said:

I'm sure surby is being more than a little quiet about such nations as Iran and Pakistan defining themselves as "Islamic" Republics?
    I am totally against the "Islamic" republics of Pakistan, Iran or wherever. I am the biggest critic of Saudi Arabia and its beheadings. But I do not see too many criticisms of Saudi Arabia here because they buy our arms ! PB contributors can be hypocritical too.

I also do not read Sunil criticising Cow vigilantes in India killing people allegedly eating beef !
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2018
    New Electoral Calculus prediction based on July polls:

Lab 286
    Con 282
    LD 16
    SNP 44
    PC 3
    Green 1

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options

surby said:

No, it is far more than that. It is about the revolutionaries facing up to each other and suddenly realising that actually comrade we have some fundamental differences here.
    You mean a f*t slob has looked away from his dinner plate!
  • Options
    surby said:

surby said:

I am totally against the "Islamic" republics of Pakistan, Iran or wherever. I am the biggest critic of Saudi Arabia and its beheadings. But I do not see too many criticisms of Saudi Arabia here because they buy our arms ! PB contributors can be hypocritical too.

I also do not read Sunil criticising Cow vigilantes in India killing people allegedly eating beef !
    I am a vegetarian, not a Hindu. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    AndyJS said:

New Electoral Calculus prediction based on July polls:

Lab 286
    Con 282
    LD 16
    SNP 44
    PC 3
    Green 1

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

I can see Labour is not winning Barnet ! Labour will also do better in Scotland than simple swings suggest. The SNP will be lucky to hold on to 35 seats.
  • Options

surby said:

surby said:

So you do not criticise Cow vigilantes. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

So when you say "after a few years of bringing immigration down", this will have nothing to do with our deal with the EU?
    No as even the mobility framework will still not be free movement, let alone no deal
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243
    edited August 2018
    surby said:

surby said:

surby said:

So you do not criticise Cow vigilantes. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I do criticise them, as I am against violence in all forms, because, as you know, I am a vegetarian. Now stop criticising Israel, when for decades Iran and Pakistan have defined themselves as Islamic Republics.

There's that newsreel clip at Partition showing a signpost with a sign pointing one way saying "Republic of India" and in the opposite direction saying "Islamic Republic of Pakistan."
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    I wonder why the anti-Semitic back history of Corbyn appears to be sticking whilst his in many ways worse support and promotion of the IRA hasn't so far.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

No as even the mobility framework will still not be free movement, let alone no deal

There is no "mobility framework", it doesn't exist. It's just a name, that's all. You shouldn't go around believing that things exist just because they have a name.
This discussion has been closed.