Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 3rd 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited October 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 3rd 2013

Oakfield on Aylesbury Vale (Lib Dem Defence)
Last Local Election (2011): Con 38, Lib Dem 17, Lab 2, UKIP 2 (Con overall majority of 17)
Last Election in ward (2011): Emboldened denotes elected
Liberal Democrats 475, 437
Conservatives 432, 419
Labour 336, 246
Independent 288
UKIP 205, 164
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    edited October 2013
    First - Evening Comrades!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Second but UKIP always first!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Accusing little Ed's dad of hating Britain doesn't seem to be going quite to plan.
    Jimmy Mulville ‏@hattrickster 39m

Ian Hislop is dealing with the Mail/Miiliband scandal brilliantly. If you're a Rothermere I wouldn't watch tomorrow night at 9.00pm on BBC1.
  • Options
    Abbeygate looks best for UKIP tonight.
  • Options
    Having hardly been on here for a bit, pray tell, have some of the PB Hodges followed their leader and come out in support of The Daily Heil
  • Options
    " It has been said “there’s an awful lot of coffee in Brazil” to which I would counter “there are awful lot of gates in St. Edmundsbury”. In fact to be precise there are six gates (Westgate, Southgate, Risbygate, Northgate, Eastgate and Abbeygate) and the reason for this is that Bury St. Edmunds is a market town with (as the history of market towns dictates) several ways of entering the town "

I believe the word 'gate' was the Viking word for 'street'.

Which is why so many towns in Danelaw areas have street names which end in -gate.
  • Options
    If I read those descriptions right the Conservatives will take overall control of both East Lindsey and Taunton Deane councils if they win the relevant wards today.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

If I read those descriptions right the Conservatives will take overall control of both East Lindsey and Taunton Deane councils if they win the relevant wards today.

Evening all :)

And no better way to round off a week which has galvanised the Party and provided fresh optimism and hope for Britain.

Oh sorry, I forgot, Labour's Conference was last week, wasn't it ?

I'll get me stoat.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,663
    FPT:
    MikeK said:

tyson said:

Finally we have some evidence that the Tory party and UKIP are racist. Not that anyone didn't know beforehand.

While it's clear UKIP supporters are outliers, Con, Lab and Lib Dem voters (health warning, small base size on latter) have pretty similar views, with gradation from LibDem>Lab>Con. For example:

How comfortable do you feel with the number of people from ethnic minorities in your neighbourhood (net)
    Con: +43
    Lab: +49
    LibD: +59
    UKIP: +7

I've looked at the so called data (a few spread sheets) on these numbers and in no place does it say that Yougov carried out this so called poll. I think the OGH has fallen for a hoax and so have the UKIP nay sayers.
    "The research, conducted by YouGov for Demos and Birkbeck College and funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), is part of a study about responses to ethnic change in Britain."

http://yougov.co.uk/news/categories/politics/
  • Options
    @PBModerator - forgive my ignorance, but how does one avoid embedding an image? On an earlier thread I posted a link to a tweet and that displayed an image (The Daily Mail letter) - how do you stop that happening ?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

FPT:

MikeK said:

tyson said:

Finally we have some evidence that the Tory party and UKIP are racist. Not that anyone didn't know beforehand.

While it's clear UKIP supporters are outliers, Con, Lab and Lib Dem voters (health warning, small base size on latter) have pretty similar views, with gradation from LibDem>Lab>Con. For example:

How comfortable do you feel with the number of people from ethnic minorities in your neighbourhood (net)

I've looked at the so called data (a few spread sheets) on these numbers and in no place does it say that Yougov carried out this so called poll. I think the OGH has fallen for a hoax and so have the UKIP nay sayers.
    "The research, conducted by YouGov for Demos and Birkbeck College and funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), is part of a study about responses to ethnic change in Britain."

The survey begins by asking a question about immigration, and then switches to talking about ethnic minorities.

It seems designed to provoke those who don't like too much immigration into giving apparently racist answers.

I wouldn't give it too much credit.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Evening, Comrade tim! :)
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance.

To avoid embedding a picture, copy the text and link within the tweet, and not a link to the tweet itself.

For example, like this

sean thomas knox ‏@thomasknox 2 Oct

Mornin'. And goodbye Crete. You've been good. Yamas!!

pic.twitter.com/FaZXemdt2i
  • Options
    Next said:

FPT:

MikeK said:

tyson said:

The survey begins by asking a question about immigration, and then switches to talking about ethnic minorities.

It seems designed to provoke those who don't like too much immigration into giving apparently racist answers.

No, the first question is:

How would you best describe your national identity?

The second question is the neutrally worded:

Do you think the number of immigrants coming to Britain nowadays should be increased, reduced or should it remain the same?

You may not like the results - but traducing the messenger does you no credit.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited October 2013
    FPT
    tim said:

@Avery

Osbornes choice

@faisalislam: Govt spend on housing benefit vs actually building houses: 12/13: £24.4bn vs £6.5bn ... from @TheDefaultLine http://t.co/1qv8XxpgtR

tim.

Faisal is being (deliberately) dumb.

Housing benefit spend is a consumption expense. House building is investment in an asset.

It is the act of an economic illiterate to post a chart which contrasts total housing benefit spend in a year with total investment in house building.

Housing benefit claimants require their rent paid over a single period regardless of whether a single or a million houses are built during that period.

The problems with the historical business model are:

1) The rents paid do not provide for an adequate return on the capital invested in building the properties. The government therefore needs to subsidise the building of social housing.

2) Even if rents were set at market rates (i.e. they did provide an adequate return on investment), there would need to be a liquid market for trading properties.

Private sector construction companies are interested in building and selling on at a profit to a commercial landlord or association of occupants. Landlords need to be able to earn a return on the cost of purchasing property from developers and maintaining it which provides them with a profit. Tenants need to pay rents to landlords which satisfy the need for competitive investment returns. Governments need to pay housing benefits to tenants which cover market rents. Market entry and exit at all levels needs to be liquid.

If only some of the above happens there is no functioning market and this will deter dynamic and market driven growth of social housebuilding. Construction will only take place when governments provide subsidies, whether in the form of soft loans or non-market rents.

The reason that no government has built enough social housing over the past decades is that the cost of required subsidy is too high.

Pretending housing benefits can be replaced with capital loans and the books will balance is Faisal living in la la land.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Next said:

FPT:

MikeK said:

tyson said:

No, the first question is:

How would you best describe your national identity?

The second question is the neutrally worded:

Do you think the number of immigrants coming to Britain nowadays should be increased, reduced or should it remain the same?

You may not like the results - but traducing the messenger does you no credit.
    I will say it again: the survey begins (in this case the 2nd question) with "immigrants" and then switches to "ethnic minorities".

I am not posting whether I like or dislike the answers; the messenger traduces themselves when they frame the questions like that. But I guess "he who pays the piper" etc.
  • Options

@CarlottaVance.

To avoid embedding a picture, copy the text and link within the tweet, and not a link to the tweet itself.

For example, like this

Thanks! And there was me thinking I was being helpful keeping it short!

• Options

@CarlottaVance.

For example, like this

Thanks! And there was me thinking I was being helpful keeping it short!

It was a recent "upgrade" by Vanilla.

Unfortunately it increases bandwith costs.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

I worry for Avery

Angela Eagle ‏@angelaeagle 5 Sep
    I see the Leader of the House has already put down 23 amendments to his own mess of a Lobbying Bill More to come I think #gaggingbill

Lansley's 110 amendments to his own health bill pushed Seth O'Logue over the edge, hope the family gene has been isolated.

Be careful, tim.

The rocket propelled take off of Cousin Seth's revived business has led to him passing on to me his Lansley files.

I am planning to update PB on all the service quality improvements and cost benefits realised from Lansley's NHS reforms.

Enough of a threat to make you and Pork joint-venture a poultry farming business.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Price controls

Land confiscation

State controlled press

Where did those ideas come from?

@MrHarryCole: Ed says he's going to force "proper standards of decency in our press". With his trusty black pen of truth and scalpel of justice?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    @MikeK

I sincerely don't want to act as a grammar, style, still less political-correctness-gone-mad policeman on this site but you have now for the second time used "ethnic" as a noun to denote someone from an ethnic minority.

Perhaps you are being post-modern ironic but it's a bit 1970s Love Thy Neighbour quite frankly and perhaps you should reconsider, for the sparkling image of UKIP, an alternative.
  • Options
    tomsymonds tweets: BBC News At Ten tonight -- 19 companies to face criminal investigation into allegations they used corrupt private detectives.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

I worry for Avery

Angela Eagle ‏@angelaeagle 5 Sep
    I see the Leader of the House has already put down 23 amendments to his own mess of a Lobbying Bill More to come I think #gaggingbill

Lansley's 110 amendments to his own health bill pushed Seth O'Logue over the edge, hope the family gene has been isolated.

Be careful, tim.

The rocket propelled take off of Cousin Seth's revived business has led to him passing on to me his Lansley files.

I am planning to update PB on all the service quality improvements and cost benefits realised from Lansley's NHS reforms.

Enough of a threat to make you and Pork joint-venture a poultry farming business.

Going to start posting your ascii pig pics again Seth O Logue? We all enjoyed those. :)
  • Options
    Best prices - Dunfermline parliamentary by-election

Lab 8/15 (Paddy Power)
    SNP 7/4 (Ladbrokes, BetVictor)
    LD 33/1
    Grn 100/1
    Ind 100/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 150/1
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Evening, Comrade tim! :)
    Evening, Comrade Tim!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Price controls

Land confiscation

State controlled press

I'm beginning to think Miliband is a maniac who wishes to impose on the nation the kind of omnipotent state that his father could only dream about. Well done to the Daily Mail for bringing to our attention this deadly atavism. No, Miliband must be destroyed.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I see my question earlier asking if some of the PB Hodges have come out in favour of The Heil has been answered. The Black Shirts are still alive and kicking.
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    RedRag1 said:

I see my question earlier asking if some of the PB Hodges have come out in favour of The Heil has been answered. The Black Shirts are still alive and kicking.

The Labour MP Oswald Mosley's Black shirts? Yeh vile, like your comment.
  • Options
    tim said:

RedRag1 said:

I see my question earlier asking if some of the PB Hodges have come out in favour of The Heil. The Black Shirts are still alive and kicking.

Scotty wants Ed to stop hitting that nice Mr Dacre.
    Beyond parody.

PB Hodges ...All Heil The Mail!
  • Options
    tim said:

Beyond parody.

You just made that up. Take a break from creepy stalking and look up parody in a dictionary...
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    RedRag1 said:

Time to namechange again, Ash, after achieving the gold standard of PB arsehattery by posting false information about the Yougov poll the other night.

I wonder how many degrees you will have in your next incarnation.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    PB Moderator - No more artwork like that please.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Moderated
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    This is getting ever more acrimonious. Dacre and Rothermere have attracted the attention of the anti semite watchers. Never a smart idea

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/10/did-a-tory-peer-help-daily-mail-editors-father-dodge-the-draft/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited October 2013
    AveryLP said:

Note: the subject Avery responds to the stimulus as predicted!
  • Options
    Lord Rothermere wrote about Youth Triumphant...at PB we get old fart Tories. Just the same but more senile.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

RedRag1 said:

Time to namechange again, Ash, after achieving the gold standard of PB arsehattery by posting false information about the Yougov poll the other night.

Who is this Ash you keep blathering on about?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Moderated
  • Options
    @krishgm: seems very unwise to turn Daily Mail's folly into argument about press freedom (which has nothing to do with it). It's about ethics/decency
  • Options
    After his privileged upbringing amongst the lanes and high hedges of Marxist Hampstead, Miliband has become what all lefties long to be: the archetypal victim. I'm not sure this is wise. It runs counter to the 'strong and decisive' line that his admirers have been keen to disseminate. Perhaps his aids are taking their cue from Estelle Morris, the last Labour mediocrity to make a virtue out of persecution.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Ishmael_X said:

RedRag1 said:

Way, way too late to play that card, Ash.

btw Mail and Heil don't rhyme, just as fjord is a different word from field. Bloody difficult, this stuff.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

RedRag1 said:

Ishmael_X said:

RedRag1 said:

Way, way too late to play that card, Ash.

btw Mail and Heil don't rhyme, just as fjord is a different word from field. Bloody difficult, this stuff.

What are you going on about?
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Note: the subject Avery responds to the stimulus as predicted!
    Note to Sunil. I fear it was not me who responded to the stimulus as predicted!

• Options
    @krishgm: Equally might be unwise for Labour to use this as argument for state-underpinned regulation. It'd be seen by many as personal grudge
  • Options
    So Dacres Snr was a draft dodger who's son attacks someone who fought for this country as hating it and unpatriotic. Oh, the utter irony.
  • Options
    Roger said:

This is getting ever more acrimonious. Dacre and Rothermere have attracted the attention of the anti semite watchers. Never a smart idea

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/10/did-a-tory-peer-help-daily-mail-editors-father-dodge-the-draft/

"alongside Ralph Miliband in the Normandy Landings."

A little over egging of the pudding going on there, methinks......Miliband Sr's war service was commendable - but let's not pretend he stormed any beaches......
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

@Roger

If Dacres dad was a draft dodger that would explain rather a lot about his psyche.
    But it doesn't stack up why he would want to draw attention to it by attacking a mans patriotism who was the same age as his father and volunteered

tim

I fear Miliband Senior's war record doesn't comfortably bear the weight you would like to impose upon it,
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Is there any evidence that Ralph Miliband believed in totalitarianism? I understood that he was a Marxist who believed in democracy. He believed that Socialism would be brought by this means. This was increasingly unlikely over time, but not not a completely bizarre view in the late 1940's

His son David realised that the voters do not think the same way, and are much more interested in practicalities, hence his managerial Blairism. I suspect that Eds views lie between the two.

My own elderly father can on occasion be homophobic and racist, views that I dislike, but I understand that the world has changed since he was a boy. He is also capable of generosity, compassion and is the least snobby person that I know. Most of us are filled with internal contradictions, and if he was pilloried in the papers, I would spring to his defence. Ed Miliband is right to do the same. It does not mean that Ed agrees with everything Ralph ever said.

Of course it is perfectly possible for a refugee academic to have very mixed feelings about his place of refuge. Karl Marx certainly did. Just as countries rarely like their liberators, refugees are often ambivalent about the countries that take them in, as indeed those countries are about their refugees.

Scott_P said:

Price controls

Land confiscation

State controlled press

I'm beginning to think Miliband is a maniac who wishes to impose on the nation the kind of omnipotent state that his father could only dream about. Well done to the Daily Mail for bringing to our attention this deadly atavism. No, Miliband must be destroyed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@krishgm: seems very unwise to turn Daily Mail's folly into argument about press freedom (which has nothing to do with it). It's about ethics/decency

Why does it have nothing to do with it? We know that Miliband takes directions from the fops and megalomaniac academics at Hacked Off. It's perfectly conceivable that he was urged to manufacture this fire storm to serve some of their dubious ends. Rabble rousing is the tried and trusted tool for dictatorship by stealth.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Thought Avery could do with some soothing news, after being rebuked by the PB Moderator artistic censor ;-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10354575/Economy-growing-at-fastest-rate-in-the-developed-world.html
  • Options
    The Daily Mail leads on "Labour's Cover Up On Failing Hospitals"

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/85906/the_daily_mail_friday_4th_october_2013.html
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Female driver in Washington incident now dead apparently.
    Soraya Chemaly ‏@schemaly 30m

DC Shooting Started When Woman’s Vehicle Rammed White House Gate. Driver dead, baby in car ok. http://cbsloc.al/19l3tAb
  • Options
    More Miliband in the news...

@tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead shrinks to 3 as Tories take ground from UKIP post conference. CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%.
  • Options
    Why would Ed like to gag the press?
    Internal emails from the Care Quality Commission show that Labour tried to stop the watchdog from informing the public about failings at Basildon University Hospital, where patients were dying needlessly on filthy wards.

The dossier of emails, released under Freedom of Information, state that Andy Burnham, the then Health Secretary, was "furious" when "graphic details" of the care failings became public.

Separate emails suggest that Mike O'Brien, the former Labour minister of state for health, told the NHS watchdog that "anything you do is political" in the run up to the General Election.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10354527/Labour-accused-of-cover-up-over-failing-hospitals.html
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

So Dacres Snr was a draft dodger who's son attacks someone who fought for this country as hating it and unpatriotic. Oh, the utter irony.

Whose, Ash. Not who's. Fjord, not field.

• Options
    Times leads on Rothermere apology. Most amusing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Internal emails from the Care Quality Commission show that Labour tried to stop the watchdog from informing the public about failings at Basildon University Hospital, where patients were dying needlessly on filthy wards.

The dossier of emails, released under Freedom of Information, state that Andy Burnham, the then Health Secretary, was "furious" when "graphic details" of the care failings became public.

Separate emails suggest that Mike O'Brien, the former Labour minister of state for health, told the NHS watchdog that "anything you do is political" in the run up to the General Election.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10354527/Labour-accused-of-cover-up-over-failing-hospitals.html

It's well documented that some of Miliband's mates at Hacked Off wish to see laws passed that prohibit criticism of the NHS by the press. Suddenly things are fitting into place.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead shrinks to 3 as Tories take ground from UKIP post conference. CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%.

Oh dear, that wasn't in the script, was it?

Red Rag!! Mind the trap!

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited October 2013
    RedRag1 said:

So Dacres Snr was a draft dodger who's son attacks someone who fought for this country as hating it and unpatriotic.

Miliband père 'fought' for Belgium, in the Free Belgian Forces, RNSB [Royal Navy Section Belge]...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:

Interesting that the combined Con/UKIP share continues to edge upwards, now 45% compared to 40% at GE2010.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear, that wasn't in the script, was it?

Red Rag!! Mind the trap!

AveryLP....mind the gap!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's well documented that some of Miliband's mates at Hacked Off wish to see laws passed that prohibit criticism of the NHS by the press. Suddenly things are fitting into place.

Well documented enough to provide a link?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

RedRag1 said:

Whose, Ash. Not who's. Fjord, not field.

Is this in some kind of code?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited October 2013
    Re today's by elections , two of these wards had by elections in May this year
    St Edmundsbury Con 562 Green 399 Lab 154 LD 149
    and
    Taunton LD 457 UKIP 295 Con 179 Lab 159

The general consensus on East Lindsey is that Mel Turton-Leivers prominent on the local parish council should win .
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thought Avery could do with some soothing news, after being rebuked by the PB Moderator artistic censor ;-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10354575/Economy-growing-at-fastest-rate-in-the-developed-world.html

Good figures aren't they.

I think of them as a Tory version of Gordon's winter fuel allowance.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Female driver in Washington incident now dead apparently.

Soraya Chemaly ‏@schemaly 30m

DC Shooting Started When Woman’s Vehicle Rammed White House Gate. Driver dead, baby in car ok. http://cbsloc.al/19l3tAb
    Has The Heil found a way of relating the woman to the Miliband family?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Comrade Scott!

Must be an outlier :)
  • Options
    tessyC said:

RedRag1 said:

As far as I know, Mosley didn't run to black shirts when he represented Labour, nor when he was a Conservative MP.
    But, like, yeh.

• Options
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good evening, comrades and capitalist pigdogs (your days are numbered, decadent parasites!).

Good news! The People's hated peddler of doom, the Daily Mail, reviled and loathed by all good-hearted patriots and purchased by only a handful of aristocratic drunkards, is on the run.

Comrade Miliband and the Committee for Freedom, ably assisted by the universally beloved and popular Guardian newspaper (which shuns the vulgar popularity lesser newspapers court), will soon enable the People to enjoy an unprecedented level of insight into current events.

By destroying the established, festering carcass of the Daily Mail, and other lesser newspapers, all news shall be provided by the Guardian. This will eliminate the capitalist decadence of choice from the People, who will all be able to benefit from the right thinking available in the Guardian. No more will those who deny that capitalism causes climate change be given the power to spout their filthy lies!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Comrade Scott!

Comrade, normal service will resume next week of 6-9% Labour leads and no early tweeting of Yougov from the favourite son of The Spion Kop.
  • Options

Good evening, comrades and capitalist pigdogs (your days are numbered, decadent parasites!).

Good news! The People's hated peddler of doom, the Daily Mail, reviled and loathed by all good-hearted patriots and purchased by only a handful of aristocratic drunkards, is on the run.

Comrade Miliband and the Committee for Freedom, ably assisted by the universally beloved and popular Guardian newspaper (which shuns the vulgar popularity lesser newspapers court), will soon enable the People to enjoy an unprecedented level of insight into current events.

By destroying the established, festering carcass of the Daily Mail, and other lesser newspapers, all news shall be provided by the Guardian. This will eliminate the capitalist decadence of choice from the People, who will all be able to benefit from the right thinking available in the Guardian. No more will those who deny that capitalism causes climate change be given the power to spout their filthy lies!

Somewhat unfortunate it's the Telegraph and now the Times that seems to be intervening the most in this. First with the Telegraph and their reprinting of the Ralph Miliband obit and now the Times making the Rothermere apology front page. I know why, do you?

• Options
    tim said:

Did Daves speech have a subliminal section promising Kippers a white babysitter in it?

Wasn't Heseltine calling them a racist party supposed to help their polling according to some?

We'll see.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Comrade Scott!

Jesus Christ. That must be wrong. Ben M specifically told us, as did tim, that the ENTIRE COUNTRY was looking on APPALLED as the Daily Mail correctly pointed out that Ed's dad was a Marxist.

Literally, the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Was APPALLED.

Weren't they??

I have been in Crete so I may have misconstrued.
    Comrade Sean T!

We all know you're a Primrose Hill lefty internationalist PRETENDING to be a goose-stepping, Horst Wessel-singing, Jew-baiting Nazi! But highly entertaining all the same!

Keep up the good work, Comrade!
  • Options
    Marxism killed at least 100 million people in the 20th century, but Marxists deserve the benefit of the doubt because "they mean well".

I've never been able to understand that particular argument.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

tessyC said:

RedRag1 said:

As far as I know, Mosley didn't run to black shirts when he represented Labour, nor when he was a Conservative MP.
    But, like, yeh.

Comrade Uniondivvie!
    He left Labour to set up the imaginatively titled "New" Party!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Poor poll for Labour, but conference caveats always apply. However, who thought it would be a good idea to resurrect Alistair Campbell - like some latter-day Frankenstein's Monster - to harass representatives of the free press on Ed Miliband's behalf? In fairness, some of the brighter Labour supporters around realized that was problematic and wished he's disappear.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Poor poll for Labour, but conference caveats always apply. However, who thought it would be a good idea to resurrect Alistair Campbell - like some latter-day Frankenstein's Monster - to harass representatives of the free press on Ed Miliband's behalf? In fairness, some of the brighter Labour supporters around realized that was problematic and wished he's disappear.
    So it's a Campbell bounce and not a number of people thinking Dave had a glorious speech....figures.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

tessyC said:

RedRag1 said:

But, like, yeh.

Comrade Uniondivvie!
    Tony Blair merged them back together again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Marxism killed at least 100 million people in the 20th century, but Marxists deserve the benefit of the doubt because "they mean well".

Comrade Andy!

The Fascists killed only 70 million (mostly by way of starting WW2 of course) but in only 12 years (out of a supposedly 1000 Year Reich!):

70 million/12 = 5.8 million deaths a year

Communists, OK, 100 million (we'll accept your figure) but over a much longer period, 74 years (1917 Revolution to 1991 end of Cold War).

100 million/74 = 1.4 million deaths a year
  • Options

tessyC said:

RedRag1 said:

But, like, yeh.

Comrade Uniondivvie!
    Yep, we just can't get away from the Mail.

'Dissatisfied with the Labour Party, Mosley quickly founded the New Party. Its early parliamentary contests, in the 1931 Ashton-under-Lyne by-election and subsequent by-elections, arguably had a spoiler effect in splitting the left-wing vote and allowing Conservative candidates to win. Despite this, the organisation gained support among many Labour and Conservative politicians who agreed with his corporatist economic policy, and among these were Aneurin Bevan and Harold Macmillan. It also gained the endorsement of the Daily Mail newspaper, headed at the time by Harold Harmsworth (later created 1st Viscount Rothermere).'

• Options
    Letts not ideal to say the least. At least it isn't Toby.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

So it's a Campbell bounce and not a number of people thinking Dave had a glorious speech....figures.

If Dave could have his conference speech overshadowed by anything I'm sure Alistair Campbell abusing journalists on nationwide TV would be high up the list.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

AndyJS said:

Comrade Andy!

The Fascists killed only 70 million (mostly by way of starting WW2 of course) but in only 12 years (out of a supposedly 1000 Year Reich!):

Communists, OK, 100 million (we'll accept your figure) but over a much longer period, 74 years (1917 Revolution to 1991 end of Cold War).

Surely it's the absolute numbers that matter most.

I don't think you can assign 100% of WWII deaths to the fascists, because the Russian Communists used the war as an excuse to kill a lot of people.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Where is PD, must be copying his good mate the absentee MP for Kirkcaldy.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Yaunton is LD hold LD 282 UKIP 172 Con 165 Lab 146
  • Options
    edited October 2013

LD 36.9%
    UKIP 22.5%
    Con 21.6%
    Lab 19.1%
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Comrade Andy!

Surely it's the absolute numbers that matter most.

I don't think you can assign 100% of WWII deaths to the fascists, because the Russian Communists used the war as an excuse to kill a lot of people.
    They started it! They invaded Poland!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Comrade Mehdi gets a massive cheer from QT audience!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Poor old Letts this isn't going well at all.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2013
    @Scott_

'@tnewtondunn: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead shrinks to 3 as Tories take ground from UKIP post conference. CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%.

And wee Timmy & the PB Bryants call it wrong yet again.

Tim

'The Labour share has risen a couple of points and been firmed up by the conferences, that'll do fine.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Quentin Letts being laughed at now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    I had decided to start watching QT again after getting out of the habit for no particular reason, but if Mehdi Hasan is on, I think I'll give it a miss. Can't stand that man's debating persona .
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Jonathan said:

It's amazing how the behaviour of QT audiences has declined over the last few decades.

I was watching an old show from 1984 the other day and the audience didn't shout out or laugh at anyone despite the fact that Norman Tebbit was on the panel and the miner's strike was going on at the time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

By a BBCQT audience. I suspect Letts will go home and look at the profitability of the DM versus the Guardian, and the superiority of the DM website, and be solaced.

Also he is handling a hot potato rather well.
    Have you joined the local Cretan branch of Golden Dawn yet, Comrade?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

LD 36.9%
    UKIP 22.5%
    Con 21.6%
    Lab 19.1%
    That should be Taunton: UKIP second from nowhere. :)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Everyone else's fault than his own quite obviously. Do you know nothing???

LOL
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

By a BBCQT audience. I suspect Letts will go home and look at the profitability of the DM versus the Guardian, and the superiority of the DM website, and be solaced.

Also he is handling a hot potato rather well.
    Nah, he made an arse of himself by saying the Mail was outside politics. This guardian obsession is yours alone.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting that the combined Con/UKIP share continues to edge upwards, now 45% compared to 40% at GE2010.
    With UKIP down to 10% I think a good proportion of their support will have come from Labour or DNV, especially just after the Tory conference which was not a disaster.

Really though, it comes down to electoral maths, and currently the Conservatives can't win, not while Clegg is in charge of the yellows. If Vince takes over I think there will be a lot of swingback from the red team to the yellows and it will result in a decent performance for the Tories, at least maintaining their status as largest party in the house.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    too many tw@ts making tweets...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24392336

Cue for share sale.
This discussion has been closed.