Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Topping, who served with the British Army in Northern Ireland

1235»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If the GFA is predicated upon economic integration between North and South, as you claim, then if one party imposes a barrier to economic integration, by joining a single currency zone that the other party refuses to join, then obviously it's relevant.

The GFA seems to mean whatever you want it to mean. You can't point to actual paragraphs that back up your claims, but you just make the claims anyway.

But it's not a barrier - it's exactly the same as the status quo. There were two different currencies before Ireland joined the Euro and there remained two different currencies afterwards, albeit with the option that the UK could join the same currency in the future.

From the GFA:

"Wishing to develop still further the unique relationship between their peoples and the close co-operation between their countries as friendly neighbours and as partners in the European Union"

"17. The Council to consider the European Union dimension of relevant matters, including the implementation of EU policies and programmes and proposals under consideration in the EU framework. Arrangements to be made to ensure that the views of the Council are taken into account and represented appropriately at relevant EU meetings. "
    The British/Irish Council agreeing to "consider the European Dimension of relevant matters" is a very, very long way from either government being committed to remain part of the EU.
    And to "ensure that the views of the Council are taken into account and represented appropriately at relevant EU meetings". Does that not presuppose political representation within the EU for both parties?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    edited August 2018

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If the GFA is predicated upon economic integration between North and South, as you claim, then if one party imposes a barrier to economic integration, by joining a single currency zone that the other party refuses to join, then obviously it's relevant.

The GFA seems to mean whatever you want it to mean. You can't point to actual paragraphs that back up your claims, but you just make the claims anyway.

But it's not a barrier - it's exactly the same as the status quo. There were two different currencies before Ireland joined the Euro and there remained two different currencies afterwards, albeit with the option that the UK could join the same currency in the future.

From the GFA:

"Wishing to develop still further the unique relationship between their peoples and the close co-operation between their countries as friendly neighbours and as partners in the European Union"

"17. The Council to consider the European Union dimension of relevant matters, including the implementation of EU policies and programmes and proposals under consideration in the EU framework. Arrangements to be made to ensure that the views of the Council are taken into account and represented appropriately at relevant EU meetings. "
    The British/Irish Council agreeing to "consider the European Dimension of relevant matters" is a very, very long way from either government being committed to remain part of the EU.
    And to "ensure that the views of the Council are taken into account and represented appropriately at relevant EU meetings". Does that not presuppose political representation within the EU for both parties?
    Not really. It presupposes that as of 1998, both parties were members of the EU. It doesn't commit either party to remain members of the EU.

Look at it another way, if it were Ireland who voted to leave the EU, would anyone seriously suppose that the GFA was a bar to this?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2018
    Anazina said:

Hyufd

Your own bloody poll shows the folly of treating ‘working class and lower middle class’ voters as some sort of bloc vote.

The working class voted Leave as a whole and the middle class voted Remain as a whole. On a rerun EU referendum YouGov has ABC1s voting 58% Remain 42% Leave and C2DEs voting 55% Leave to 45% Remain.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/vxuhlu27eg/SundayTimesResults_180720_for_web.pdf

Break it down though and the lower middle class narrowly voted Leave.

ABs went Remain by 57% to 43% for Leave, C1s went Leave by 51% to 49% for Remain, C2s went Leave by 64% to 36% for Remain and DEs went Leave by 64% to 36% for Remain as well

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Ha! It was in central Atlanta (and one of the few good things about Atlanta, along with the superb Optimist restaurant), so not quite up to your standards!!

In all seriousness, I don't massively dispute your central claim in regards to use of cash. I virtually never carry cash these days in the UK, and have $ and euro cards which are accepted pretty much everywhere.

I wonder though if it is a wealth thing. If you don't have much money, difficulty accessing banking services, on a meter for the leccy etc, do you still have to use cash for more things?

Where as if you have high speed internet where ever you go via an iCrap phone and multiple bank accounts in multiple currencies, it is a different world.
    RoyalBlue said:

In other news, in Corbyn-land.....

An egg costs 200,000 times more than a litre of gasoline in Venezuela as the country's economy is ravaged by hyperinflation, it has emerged.

Maduro has announced 29 plans to adjust the price of petrol and regulate sales based on the so-called 'fatherland card' providing access to subsidies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6032367/Venezuela-price-chaos-gasoline-costs-just-one-Bolivar-egg-costs-200-000-times-much.html

Our daily reminder to take nearly everything out of the bank and buy gold the moment Corbyn gets his hands on power.

There'll be virtually nothing left to save by the time he's finished with us, but at least one can try to prevent oneself being completely wiped out.
    Eesh. I’m beginning to wonder whether I should start making plans. I think he’ll bring the shutters down quite quickly.

I’m no Corbyn fan but do you realise how ridiculous and hypocritical you are? Let’s refresh our memory: you said that you would consider economic collapse a price worth paying for Brexit. Ugh.
    @Anazina - no hypocrisy at all. I think Corbyn would be far more economically damaging for the U.K. than a hard Brexit would be. Saying I am prepared to accept an economic price for Brexit is also not the same as saying as I’m relaxed about economic collapse.

It must be very strange being unable to see the world from another’s point of view. Very unsettling as well, I imagine.
  • Options
    surby said:

HYUFD said:

surby said:

brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

Over Protestant majority Counties Antrim and Down's dead body
    And assuming - as the poll quoted does - that over 45s will not be allowed to vote in the referendum on a united Ireland!

It may be a while yet!

Very good article. The irony being that "loyal" Brits are hastening the day of a united Ireland.

As the article observes: "The theocracy that it was rightly or wrongly perceived to be under
    de Valera, which frightened many in the north, is long past. Now under an openly gay Taoiseach of mixed race background, a new modern, self-confident and inclusive Ireland is flourishing in its society as in its economy. Meanwhile it’s the north under the DUP where illiberalism and prejudice are not just rampant but enshrined, all with the support of the Tory Government.
    Actually it just shows the toughest most stubborn and faith driven people in the British Isles and Ireland are now Protestants in Ulster, the Republic of Ireland is increasingly just as largely secular and liberal meterosexual as most of us on the mainland UK are and they are not going to be able to tell the former what to do
    Equally the former of Armagh, Antrim and Down cannot tell everyone else what to do either.
    Armagh is majority Catholic.
This discussion has been closed.