Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s special congressional election in Ohio could be a go

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. 1000, depends how a nation is defined.

Could make a case for England, or France. Many countries are surprisingly young (Italy, Germany, Spain). The difficulty is constitutional arrangements. France's current one is less than a century old. Likewise most countries. If the UK is considered a continuation/successor of England, and the monarchy a consistent thread, you could certainly go back to Alfred, maybe around 500 AD.

If you're going by territory, then it's the early 20th century.

A bit like 'Was the Eastern Roman Empire really the Roman Empire'? There are plenty of valid and differing perspectives. It's an interesting debate but there isn't really a right answer. And, if there were, it wouldn't really matter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

Alex Hales behaviour seems odd here, why would he try and apparently stop Stokes then kick a man when he's down ?
    That's disturbing.

Well a friend tries to stop you getting into trouble, but also backs you up when you do.
    I've rewatched the video - Hales actions part of the general fight, he tries to stop Stokes after that bit's over..
    Strong right cross by Stokes.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm involved in my first ever Twitter spat. I'm so proud. I'm currently fighting with some chap over the Priti Patel tweet re the Penny Morduant quote about the UK being the "oldest and most successful" country in Europe.

Isn't Vatican City the oldest and most successful country in Europe?
    I would argue Switzerland is the most successful country in Europe, and France is probably the oldest.

The Vatican only technically became a country in 1929.
    Wouldn't Greece be older? I wouldn't argue for it being the most successful country, mind.
    It only become independent from the Ottomans in 1821.
    Well France was hardly independent from Nazi Germany for a while! But rather than disappearing down a rabbit-hole of competing definitions, I'll withdraw.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm involved in my first ever Twitter spat. I'm so proud. I'm currently fighting with some chap over the Priti Patel tweet re the Penny Morduant quote about the UK being the "oldest and most successful" country in Europe.

I would argue Switzerland is the most successful country in Europe, and France is probably the oldest.

I thought the Portugal/Spain border was the oldest border.
    And Portugal and England have the oldest alliance, dating back to 14-something.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

We’d probably never be able to agree either the criteria or the top candidate.

I think Switzerland is beautiful, but I also find Zurich boring, and you could kill yourself in Geneva on a Sunday, the food isn’t all that, and it’s rather too regulated for my liking.
    I loved Geneva, I also took the train along the lake to Lausanne and Montreux.
  • Options
    Having seen the video, I think Hales can think himself very lucky not to be sitting there with Stokes and the other two blokes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wouldn't Greece be older? I wouldn't argue for it being the most successful country, mind.
    One could argue that Turkey only became independent of the Ottomans in 1923...
  • Options

Could make a case for England, or France. Many countries are surprisingly young (Italy, Germany, Spain). The difficulty is constitutional arrangements. France's current one is less than a century old. Likewise most countries. If the UK is considered a continuation/successor of England, and the monarchy a consistent thread, you could certainly go back to Alfred, maybe around 500 AD.

A bit like 'Was the Eastern Roman Empire really the Roman Empire'? There are plenty of valid and differing perspectives. It's an interesting debate but there isn't really a right answer. And, if there were, it wouldn't really matter.

Mr Dancer. Spain isn't that young, it's much older than Germany or Italy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well France was hardly independent from Nazi Germany for a while! But rather than disappearing down a rabbit-hole of competing definitions, I'll withdraw.
    But Greece wasn't Greece in any meaningful sense in classical times, it was thousands of city states, some in Greece but also in France, Italy, Turkey*, Africa and God knows where else.

*xenophobic lie, obv.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Mr. D, 13-something.

Dr. Prasannan, it had to reconquer the land from the Muslims. Compared to (broad definition) England/France, it's relatively young.

But yes, much older than Germany or Italy.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Z, the Greeks, I think, also founded the city of Saguntum in Iberia. Hannibal destroyed it, kicking off the Second Punic War. [It was allied to Rome, who didn't exactly bust a gut rescuing it].
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Denmark would surely be a contender for oldest country in Europe? Continuous recognised central government from the 9th century. France meanwhile wasn't properly unified until the Hundred Years' War, and was still divided and chaotic in the eighteenth century.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I was alsw
    Ishmael_Z said:

Anorak said:

But Greece wasn't Greece in any meaningful sense in classical times, it was thousands of city states, some in Greece but also in France, Italy, Turkey*, Africa and God knows where else.

*xenophobic lie, obv.
    I was always amazed how the Ottoman Empire grew so large, and lasted so long on an economy dedicated to producing upholstered storage boxes.

[Taxi for one!]
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2018
    I bet the prosecution were head in hands when the bouncer keep referring to Stokes as that ginger...while telling a story of the ginger making nasty comments about his teeth and tattoos.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm

Ryan Hale’s barrister Stephen Murray now back on his feet with more questions for DC Adams. Asks about Alex Hales - does DC Adams think he can be seen kicking a man in the head? Yes, says DC Adams. “Mr Stoke’s colleague has stamped down of Ryan Ali and kicked him.” Adams agrees

What? Then why was he not charged as well? What on earth is going on here?
    I saw Alex Hales in a bar in an hotel where the England team were staying. Let's just say that his reported height of 6ft 5inches really doesn't do him justice. He is a giant of a man.
    This has also been puzzling me in the reports he tried to stop Stokes and got brushed off. Really? Someone of that size and physique?

None of this is making sense at the moment. I'm wondering if the drunk was an officer on ASC.
    ASC? - altered state of consciousness?
    Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

Although they are in my fortunately limited experience of them 'at a slight angle to the universe.'
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Anorak said:

Mr Meeks was right. All part of the plan... [@Tissue - don't you hate it when that happens :) ]
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1026841313361178624

It's so bloody obvious what the game is. What's depressing is that it's being fallen for again.
    Boris Johnson, fearless crusader for the right of supposedly leading politicians to be arseholes about minorities.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:
    It's certainly not the right time to be considering a ban on the consumption of dogs.
    That article is estimating when the UK could run out of food if we had to be wholly self sufficient in food, which no-one is suggesting.

That would suggest the EU could impose an absolute economic blockade on the UK’s ability to trade with it and the rest of the world way more effective than the Kriegsmarine managed in WWII.
    Fact for the day: we import a smaller proportion of the calories we eat today than in 1900.
    I’ll bite; where did you find that factoid, as well as your statement a few weeks ago that Europe imports less energy now than 30/40 years ago?

Not questioning the veracity, would just like to know :smile:
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

France’s current constitution is 60 years old. An infant really.

I had one of the worst meals of my life in Zurich - pasta with cranberry sauce. Utterly disgusting.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Cyclefree said:

I had one of the worst meals of my life in Zurich - pasta with cranberry sauce. Utterly disgusting.
    That was an interesting choice. Not sure I would have gone for that.
  • Options
    Hales wasn't tried because he accepted a caution, it would seem.

Bizarre however that the police would issue a caution if they had footage of him stamping on someone.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anorak said:

Mr Meeks was right. All part of the plan... [@Tissue - don't you hate it when that happens :) ]

It's so bloody obvious what the game is. What's depressing is that it's being fallen for again.
    Boris Johnson, fearless crusader for the right of supposedly leading politicians to be arseholes about minorities.
    Boris Johnson, fearless crusader for the right to be an arsehole.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

That was an interesting choice. Not sure I would have gone for that.
    You should have seen the other choices.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Oldest state? China, surely.

In Europe? Austria needs some thinking about.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618

Sean_F said:

surby said:
    It's certainly not the right time to be considering a ban on the consumption of dogs.
    That article is estimating when the UK could run out of food if we had to be wholly self sufficient in food, which no-one is suggesting.

That would suggest the EU could impose an absolute economic blockade on the UK’s ability to trade with it and the rest of the world way more effective than the Kriegsmarine managed in WWII.
    "Das EU-Boot."

Pause.

:)

HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

[drops mike]
  • Options

No, Austria dates from 1806.

China is a tricky one because although the Empire lasted thousands of years there were at least three distinct breaks in the twentieth century - the Republic, the Kuomintang and Mao - and it really isn't clear that in the first one, possibly two effective government was maintained.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Anorak said:

So true
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, is Japan older?

And are we dating China from the Qin dynasty (3rd century BC)?

Mr. Doethur, indeed. Japan has had an emperor for a long old time, of course.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

"Das EU-Boot."

Pause.

HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

[drops mike]
    With jokes like that you should be up in Edinburgh at the Fringe.

(Do not take that as a compliment by the way).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Alex Hales behaviour seems odd here, why would he try and apparently stop Stokes then kick a man when he's down ?
    That's disturbing.

Just maybe because the guy swung at him with a bottle? But yes, it is a typically confusing situation. Presumably Hales was smart enough to keep his mouth shut when interviewed.
    I could watch that video time and again by the American lawyer who explains why one should never say anything ever when arrested.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

"Das EU-Boot."

Pause.

HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

[drops mike]
    I invented the "EU Boat menace" years ago, I'll have you know!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Anorak said:

Well actually, there is a case to be made for that.
    The right of politicians to be arseholes without consequence is quite another matter.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Anorak said:

As Boris gets older, his window of opportunity narrows, and so his strategy becomes more obvious and less sophisticated. Given the pace of demographic change in his part of London, plus the people he has already let down over the airport, he is gambling in last chance saloon.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

China is a tricky one because although the Empire lasted thousands of years there were at least three distinct breaks in the twentieth century - the Republic, the Kuomintang and Mao - and it really isn't clear that in the first one, possibly two effective government was maintained.
    The Margraviate of Austria dates from 976.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

"Das EU-Boot."

Pause.

HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

[drops mike]
    If the EU had a fleet of U-boats threatening to impose an absolute blockade on the UK in the event of no deal, then I’d be worried about food shortages.
  • Options

Mr. D, 13-something.

Dr. Prasannan, it had to reconquer the land from the Muslims. Compared to (broad definition) England/France, it's relatively young.

But yes, much older than Germany or Italy.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Z, the Greeks, I think, also founded the city of Saguntum in Iberia. Hannibal destroyed it, kicking off the Second Punic War. [It was allied to Rome, who didn't exactly bust a gut rescuing it].

Denmark's being going a while, as well.

And those Vikings have been successful acting through a variety of nation states over a very long period.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Switzerland is beautiful, but I also find Zurich boring, and you could kill yourself in Geneva on a Sunday, the food isn’t all that, and it’s rather too regulated for my liking.
    I loved Geneva, I also took the train along the lake to Lausanne and Montreux.
    On a Sunday it is like 28 days later.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

As Boris gets older, his window of opportunity narrows, and so his strategy becomes more obvious and less sophisticated. Given the pace of demographic change in his part of London, plus the people he has already let down over the airport, he is gambling in last chance saloon.
    :lol: This is mischievous:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1026850213183582208
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Margraviate of Austria dates from 976.
    Yes, but it was conquered by the Habsburgs in 1279, and the name revived on the extinction of the Holy Roman Empire.

I don't think we can say it's older than Denmark, Russia, Man or even France.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

"Das EU-Boot."

Pause.

HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

[drops mike]

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Anorak said:

Well actually, there is a case to be made for that.
    The right of politicians to be arseholes without consequence is quite another matter.
    The question is what said folk did to deserve such generous over-representation in Parliament?
  • Options

God no (pun unintended). It's a byproduct of Italian unification, IIRC. The Catholic Church has been around for quite a while, but that's not the same thing exactly.

I'd go for Portugal: border has been stable for the longest. Penny exhibits the same annoying blindspot as a ginormous number of Conservatives; she conflates England with British with Great Britain with the UK, and they are all subtly different.

England's been within it's present borders since the 1100's (here is a map from 1086: spot's what's missing: h ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesday_Book#/media/File:DomesdayCountyCircuitsMap.png), but the UK within its present borders dates from the 1920's since Southern Ireland left (parenthetically I can never work out the exact date Norn Iron became part of the UK, it's not an intuitive point).

• Options

IanB2 said:

Anorak said:

:lol: This is mischievous:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1026850213183582208
    On the other hand, traditionally you do use a whip on an arse.

I really will get my coat. Have a good evening.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

That's disturbing.

Just maybe because the guy swung at him with a bottle? But yes, it is a typically confusing situation. Presumably Hales was smart enough to keep his mouth shut when interviewed.
    I could watch that video time and again by the American lawyer who explains why one should never say anything ever when arrested.
    Thought it was an ex-copper? Either way I agree it's really, really good.

EDIT: You were right: ex defense attorney. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE
    (shorter versions are available)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Andorra? San Marino?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Surely you only order a dish like that if you want something that is only going to trouble your insides for a very short period of time?
  • Options

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

"Das EU-Boot."

Pause.

HERE ALL WEEK, FOLKS!

[drops mike]

"Good artists copy; great artists steal."... :)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Afternoon all :)

Mrs Stodge loves Lucerne and Interlaken - I'm more a fan of Lago Maggiore and the Bodensee but there you go.

So Boris is apparently a "liberal" - well, there's a surprise. If it walks a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. It's nice of him to tell us all what a liberal is.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Sean_F said:

surby said:

EU flunkies vs Tesco logistics managers - I know who my money is on.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    welshowl said:

Andorra? San Marino?
    I was assuming that we weren't bothering with historical relicts. San Marino is the clear winner otherwise.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, aye, someone else mentioned Denmark too. Hmm. May be the oldest in Europe, but I think Japan must have a good shout for being the oldest nation still existent. Depends a lot how you determine things, though.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The Ticino is brilliant, though. Italian culture and food, combined with German efficiency.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

God no (pun unintended). It's a byproduct of Italian unification, IIRC. The Catholic Church has been around for quite a while, but that's not the same thing exactly.

I'd go for Portugal: border has been stable for the longest. Penny exhibits the same annoying blindspot as a ginormous number of Conservatives; she conflates England with British with Great Britain with the UK, and they are all subtly different.

England's been within it's present borders since the 1100's (here is a map from 1086: spot's what's missing: h ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesday_Book#/media/File:DomesdayCountyCircuitsMap.png), but the UK within its present borders dates from the 1920's since Southern Ireland left (parenthetically I can never work out the exact date Norn Iron became part of the UK, it's not an intuitive point).

You mean we had Liverpool and you took it back? Big mistake.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2018
    viewcode said:

What's missing from England? Monmouthshire? Berwick on Tweed?

Edit: Calais?
  • Options

welshowl said:

Andorra? San Marino?
    I was assuming that we weren't bothering with historical relicts. San Marino is the clear winner otherwise.
    Next you’ll be saying Scotland isn’t a real country.

FWIW San Marino was my answer.
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, Iran? Which went through the mill of Assyria, the Medes, Persia (a high point, of course), the Macedonian Empire, the Seleucids, the Parthians, and then the Persians again?

Continuous that is not.

Mr. Anorak, I remember that from the time. Very eye-opening.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Surely you only order a dish like that if you want something that is only going to trouble your insides for a very short period of time?
    Faute de mieux. It was either that or going to bed hungry.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think that Greece can be said to have existed before 1821.

The Emperors of Constantinople got rather pissed off if people called them Greeks, rather than Romans. Hellas was simply one of the Themes of the Empire (and excluded much of modern Greece, such as Thessalonika.

In classical times, Hellas meant anywhere that Hellenes lived, including Sicily and Southern Italy, the coasts of the Black Sea and Marseilles
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited August 2018

welshowl said:

Andorra? San Marino?
    San Marino was briefly occupied by Nazi Germany. Before that, the city states of Rimini (1503) and the Papal States (1739) also had a go.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm

Ryan Hale’s barrister Stephen Murray now back on his feet with more questions for DC Adams. Asks about Alex Hales - does DC Adams think he can be seen kicking a man in the head? Yes, says DC Adams. “Mr Stoke’s colleague has stamped down of Ryan Ali and kicked him.” Adams agrees

I saw Alex Hales in a bar in an hotel where the England team were staying. Let's just say that his reported height of 6ft 5inches really doesn't do him justice. He is a giant of a man.
    This has also been puzzling me in the reports he tried to stop Stokes and got brushed off. Really? Someone of that size and physique?

None of this is making sense at the moment. I'm wondering if the drunk was an officer on ASC.

Although they are in my fortunately limited experience of them 'at a slight angle to the universe.'
    I know what they are like. I've seen Hot Fuzz.....
  • Options
    Would the Conservative Party mind officially announcing that the leadership contest has started?

Because clearly it has, and this is no longer the phoney war bit.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Bizarre however that the police would issue a caution if they had footage of him stamping on someone.

I think you misheard, Alex Hales was questioned under caution
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

viewcode said:

Most of Cumbria!
  • Options

Mr. B2, aye, someone else mentioned Denmark too. Hmm. May be the oldest in Europe, but I think Japan must have a good shout for being the oldest nation still existent. Depends a lot how you determine things, though.

Yep, Denmark is a really old country. From where most of the Vikings came from, even though we tend to think that Vikings means fjords and Norway. Vikings ran England under Cnut and took over for a second time when William from Norman(Northeman)dy gained control and banished all the Saxons to peasantry for centuries thereafter. The Vikings sacked Rome, arguably founded Russia via the Rus, and settled in various parts of Europe including Sicily and Sardinia. And they 'discovered' America and settled in Iceland - another very old country. For a small part of the world their influence on subsequent history has been truly dramatic.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

Would the Conservative Party mind officially announcing that the leadership contest has started?

You think? Despite her limitations, Theresa May "could wipe the floor with these people".
  • Options

viewcode said:

Top left-hand-corner. Carlisle/Cumberland/Cumbria. Was part of Strathclyde in 1066 and not in England. By 1092 bits of it were sorted out: Cumberland went to England and is now part of Cumbria, the rest went to Scotland. People are so used to seeing the English/Scottish border as a diagonal line they don't notice the absence, and since it's a sparsely populated area it's little remarked upon, but it is a difference.
  • Options

You think? Despite her limitations, Theresa May "could wipe the floor with these people".
    Well, they are clearly fighting with each other, if not May.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

You'll have to advise us as to what extent going to bed after throwing up pasta and cranberry is an improvement on hunger...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

You think Tezzie is better suited to cleaning floors than being PM? I agree.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm

"the greater good..."
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I guess the alternative was a Hawaiian pizza?
  • Options
    Mr. B2, agree with most of that but wasn't the sacking Rome just made up (they did sack an Italian settlement, I think, under Hastein)?
  • Options
    How's this for Fake News?:

During World War II, San Marino remained neutral, although it was wrongly reported in an article from The New York Times that it had declared war on the United Kingdom on 17 September 1940.[16] The Sammarinese government later transmitted a message to the British government stating that they had not declared war on the United Kingdom.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

ydoethur said:

The pole waving guy may be in some bother but Stokes will be playing in the 3rd test IMHO.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Cyclefree said:

I had sour cherry vareniki (ravioli) when in Moscow. Very tasty indeed.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm

"the greater good..."
    "My, he is tenacious, isn't he?!"
  • Options

During World War II, San Marino remained neutral, although it was wrongly reported in an article from The New York Times that it had declared war on the United Kingdom on 17 September 1940.[16] The Sammarinese government later transmitted a message to the British government stating that they had not declared war on the United Kingdom.[17]

I see the NYT hasn’t changed much! ;)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

The pole waving guy may be in some bother but Stokes will be playing in the 3rd test IMHO.

I hope so.
  • Options

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm

"the greater good..."
    "My, he is tenacious, isn't he?!"
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I mean they've made Japan older than it is by a minimum of 1000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period
  • Options
    If we want really longstanding countries, is Egypt a candidate?
  • Options

And that's why Berwick upon Tweed has been at war with Russia since 1856.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Possibly, but I think that in order to qualify, there needs to be some political continuity.

For Europe, I think that the correct answer is Denmark, since as said upthread, it's been an independent monarchy since the 10th century (even if its boundaries have fluctuated).
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Same as Iran really, been conquered by a hell of a lot of other nations/empires.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The modern idea of the nation state didn't emerge until after World War 1 so the entire question is meaningless.

If we're talking about the longest, unbroken, polity then Imperial China, stretching unbroken for nearly 4000 years, seems to be a winner.

Or at least it would be if the commies didn't eat it.
  • Options

And that's why Berwick upon Tweed has been at war with Russia since 1856.
    The BBC programme Nationwide investigated this story in the 1970s, and found that while Berwick was not mentioned in the Treaty of Paris [concluding the Crimean War], it was not mentioned in the declaration of war either. The question remained as to whether Berwick had ever been at war with Russia in the first place. The true situation is that since the Wales and Berwick Act 1746 had already made it clear that all references to England included Berwick, the town had no special status at either the start or end of the war.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yep, Denmark is a really old country. From where most of the Vikings came from, even though we tend to think that Vikings means fjords and Norway. Vikings ran England under Cnut and took over for a second time when William from Norman(Northeman)dy gained control and banished all the Saxons to peasantry for centuries thereafter. The Vikings sacked Rome, arguably founded Russia via the Rus, and settled in various parts of Europe including Sicily and Sardinia. And they 'discovered' America and settled in Iceland - another very old country. For a small part of the world their influence on subsequent history has been truly dramatic.
    In a sense, they overran England twice, as the Angles/Saxons/Jutes came from Denmark and adjoining parts of Northern Germany. The Norse aimed more for Scotland, Ireland, Normandy, and the Isle of Man.
  • Options

The modern idea of the nation state didn't emerge until after World War 1 so the entire question is meaningless.

If we're talking about the longest, unbroken, polity then Imperial China, stretching unbroken for nearly 4000 years, seems to be a winner.

Didn't the Mongols conquer China for a while?
  • Options

China disintegrated into different States at various points over that period.
  • Options

Yes. Kublai Khan established the Yuan dynasty, but the Imperial system of government continued largely unchanged.
  • Options

It thought it came about after Westphalia? Maybe that we only the beginning...
  • Options
    surby said:

Burkha or Niqab ? Nuns effectively wear the burkha . It is the Niqab where there is a slit for the eyes only.

With the burkha you can see the whole face.

When I was going to Yemen in the mid-90s, the women there were completely covered - not even anywhere for Boris to post his letters. You couldn't even see their feet to see which way they were pointing.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

China disintegrated into different States at various points over that period.
    It did, but there's always a Chinese emperor, and an Imperial court, even if that court's power grew and waned.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Denmark has the oldest flag in the world. The Dannebrog.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

China was split into at least four States at that point, Song, Jin, Khara-Khitai, and Hsi-Hsia.

Yes. Kublai Khan established the Yuan dynasty, but the Imperial system of government continued largely unchanged.
    In most of China, they obliterated it. Natives were mostly excluded from any position of influence under the Mongols. The traditional examination system for the appointment of civil servants was abandoned in favour of patronage, which mostly favoured Mongols. The Ming viewed them very much as foreign interlopers, and portrayed their campaign against them in that light. For political reasons now, the Chinese government portrays the Yuan as a Chinese dynasty, but they're rewriting history.

The Ching dynasty is a good example of a group of foreigners (Manchus) who became Chinese, and kept the same system in place that they inherited from the Ming, but the Yuan were different. They made it clear that the Chinese were a conquered people.
This discussion has been closed.