Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo’ s controversial burka comments don’t seem to have hurt h

2»

Comments

• Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    If these women have the right to wear these garments, then doesn't Boris have the right to comment on their choice?
    a stupid comment even by your dismal standards
    Why is it a stupid comment? I'm not holding my breath for your explanation!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    If these women have the right to wear these garments, then doesn't Boris have the right to comment on their choice?
    That's not very nice to Sunil. :D
    Do you disagree?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    I was thinking the same. Roger, don't be mean to Sunil!

• Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is a media set commotion which makes him seem more in tune with the populace than the political establishment. Are Tory MPs this humourless behind closed doors or is this po-faced look just derived from a misplaced conception of where the middle ground lies? Look where fear of saying anything interesting took the Blairites.
    Tories now have both bases covered, May covers the PC pro Deal liberal class, Boris the populist pro hard Brexit class.
    Except May repeatedly insulted the PC pro Deal liberal class. May of "no deal is better than a bad deal" and "citizens of nowhere" rhetoric has already burnt that bridge. Now like many an ultimately defeated general she has gone to war with another front.

May stands ultimately for nothing and nobody but keeping herself in power. So why should anyone stand for her? Who has she not attacked, insulted or betrayed?
    Today's Mori had most LD voters wanting May to stay Tory leader but Corbyn to step down as Labour leader
    This is interesting, why would Lib Dem voters support May. It is illogical.
    Many things are. I would imagine it is due to a perception of who would replace each leader if they were removed. Despite her words which inspired 'crush the saboteurs' headlines, May is clearly not offering the hard Brexit red meat her base probably wants. A replacement, whoever it is, would probably tack harder, and be worse in their eyes.

With Corbyn, despite the base adoring him, perhaps LDs think he would be replaced by an improvement.
    LDs dream next general election would be May v Umunna, LDs nightmare next general election would be Boris v Corbyn
    Is that a fact? :wink:
    I'm sure there are some bar charts some place :lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    I see the latest Robert Smithson is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3G70uXf0s4
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    stjohn said:

kle4 said:

stjohn said:

Off topic - but BREXIT is never really off topic.

Would a poll of PBers on a second referendum be a good idea?

Possible questions.

1. How did you vote in the 2017 Referendum? Leave or Remain?

2. Do you support a 2nd referendum?

3. If there was a 2nd referendum, with the following questions, how would you vote? (AV type vote with a first and second preference option).

a) Support the Leave Deal negotiated by the government?
    b) Support No Deal
    c) Support Remain.

Just for fun.

1) Personally I didn't vote any way in the 2017 referendum, I must have missed that one :) But for 2016: Leave
    2) Yes, sort of (depends on the question maybe)
    3) Probably a) c)
    OK. My go.

1. 2016 I was Remain.

2. Yes.

3. Probably a). Then c).

I would be:

1. Remain
    2. Not yet, but II would favour if polls swing much more decisively pro remain or if no deal was presented as the UKs Brexit option, whether because of the EU or Parliament.
    3. almost certainly a then c
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    A bit extreme for being insulting and oafish. More pressingly, it is surely not the most insulting thing he has ever said.
    ""The Lib Dems are not just empty. They are a void within a vacuum surrounded by a vast inanition.""
  • Options
    After the 2016 referendum,
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    What will May do, when he doesn't apologise?
    Precisely this:
    There's nothing she realistically can do as her position is so weak anyway. I don't think that is what her comments were about. I think they were about fueling the fire, inasmuch as was needed, to keep the story going (while i imagine Lord Sheikhs comments would do that to an extent, the PM commenting directly make it bigger), with a view to trying to impress upon MPs "Really? As much as you don't like me, whenever the next contest comes do you want to be dealing with stories like this all the time?"
    Fueling the fire? Boris is the arsonist here, she resisted early opportunities to criticise Boris for his comments, but inevitably had to get involved the fury being so great. Boris said something crass and offensive, but not quite over the border in to racist to attract fury from the right people, such as Theresa May and those in the Tory left. Why? For attention and votes in a future leadership contest. He really is shameless. It's revolting. When Corbyn is anti Semitic he truly believes what he saying, while Boris fans racist tensions for votes. It's beyond revolting.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Awww! Roger loves me, really :lol:
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So what do you think would be happening now in the Universe where May won her hundred seat majority last year?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    A bit extreme for being insulting and oafish. More pressingly, it is surely not the most insulting thing he has ever said.
    "Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3."
  • Options
    edited August 2018

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Precisely this:
    There's nothing she realistically can do as her position is so weak anyway. I don't think that is what her comments were about. I think they were about fueling the fire, inasmuch as was needed, to keep the story going (while i imagine Lord Sheikhs comments would do that to an extent, the PM commenting directly make it bigger), with a view to trying to impress upon MPs "Really? As much as you don't like me, whenever the next contest comes do you want to be dealing with stories like this all the time?"
    Fueling the fire? Boris is the arsonist here, she resisted early opportunities to criticise Boris for his comments, but inevitably had to get involved the fury being so great. Boris said something crass and offensive, but not quite over the border in to racist to attract fury from the right people, such as Theresa May and those in the Tory left. Why? For attention and votes in a future leadership contest. He really is shameless. It's revolting. When Corbyn is anti Semitic he truly believes what he saying, while Boris fans racist tensions for votes. It's beyond revolting.
    Boris is seeking attention, yes, but May could have remained silent. In a choice between her and him he would win out, I am sure (certainly now), but by making her thoughts known, not dissembling on it, others are emboldened to speak out when perhaps they would be less likely to do so against Boris and his defenders. More to the point she can subtly or not so subtly make the MPs, the only people to my mind who can stop Boris winning a leadership contest by preventing him from getting to the final two, really reflect on whether they agree with Boris or not, if his shamelessness and his buffoonery, and the constant attention such would receive, is really what they want.

For better and worse Boris will reach people others won't (though I don't think as many as some believe), but his style will involve a lot of off the cuff stuff and a lot of deliberately provocative stuff, again for better and worse. Do they really want to be dealing with Boris 'Trump-lite' Johnson and constantly be defending his utterances which provoke unnecessary mediastorms? Or be like Corbyn, and constantly be having to ignore all the awkward things the leader has said or done, and look ridiculous as a result.

The MPs might say they do want that (or that it would not happen). But I think May is, as much as she can, trying to make the point that that is not a good idea.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

So what do you think would be happening now in the Universe where May won her hundred seat majority last year?

With Corbyn gone, we might actually have a functional opposition.

Assuming 50 new Tory MPs, it is likely they would be evenly split between headbangers and realists, so we would still have Parliamentary impasse.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

She'd be going for a pretty crap deal, but perhaps a bit better than now as she could have swayed her Cabinet to it sooner since most of the MPs would go with the flow, and so work on it sooner.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    What is it about people saying stupid things on twatter. Musk is in big trouble I think, unless he's got $70bn in his back pocket the hedgies are going to go after him.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Alistair said:

England won the World Cup.
    Remain won the second referendum
    The pound soared.
    Star Wars 8 was good.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    stjohn said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Hi stjohn. I was doing Sunil a favour. I gave several posters an opportunity to show solidarity towards him! And can I say the Yarmulke should be discouraged. It's clearly inadequate against a rainstorm.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Pro_Rata said:

stjohn said:

kle4 said:

stjohn said:

Possible questions.

3. If there was a 2nd referendum, with the following questions, how would you vote? (AV type vote with a first and second preference option).

b) Support No Deal
    c) Support Remain.

Just for fun.

1) Personally I didn't vote any way in the 2017 referendum, I must have missed that one :) But for 2016: Leave
    2) Yes, sort of (depends on the question maybe)
    3) Probably a) c)
    OK. My go.

1. 2016 I was Remain.

2. Yes.

3. Probably a). Then c).

I would be:

1. Remain
    2. Not yet, but II would favour if polls swing much more decisively pro remain or if no deal was presented as the UKs Brexit option, whether because of the EU or Parliament.
    3. almost certainly a then c
    1. Remain
    2. No
    3. We don’t know the final deal but probably B - we are the verge of no deal being better than a bad deal
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518
    MaxPB said:

What is it about people saying stupid things on twatter. Musk is in big trouble I think, unless he's got $70bn in his back pocket the hedgies are going to go after him.

Musk looks very hubristic. How long can the new Mr Ponzi continue?
  • Options
    Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Do you disagree?
    I was going to recruit Voltaire to Sunil's defence. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". But Google informs me he never said this. It was his biographer's phrase.

What he did however say in Candide, which is my favourite last line from a book, is, "let us cultivate our garden". Which I interpret as, "life's complicated and hard to make sense of. So find a routine you enjoy and enjoy it."
  • Options
    Roger said:

stjohn said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Hi stjohn. I was doing Sunil a favour. I gave several posters an opportunity to show solidarity towards him! And can I say the Yarmulke should be discouraged. It's clearly inadequate against a rainstorm.
    :smile:

• Options
    Roger said:

stjohn said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Well, you just said it :)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Alistair said:

England won the World Cup.
    Remain won the second referendum
    The pound soared.
    Star Wars 8 was good.

I quite liked The Last Jedi in fact :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LD voters dream next general election would be May v Umunna, LD voters nightmare next general election would be Boris v Corbyn

May v Umunna would be The Useless v The Untested

Johnson v Corbyn would be The Unprincipled v The Unhinged

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201
    edited August 2018

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Precisely this:
    ""For 10 years we in the Tory Party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing, and so it is with a happy amazement that we watch as the madness engulfs the Labour Party."" - Boris in 2006.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Musk looks very hubristic. How long can the new Mr Ponzi continue?
    It's weird as well, he'd just made nice with Wall Street at the earnings call. I don't understand his angle, unless he set out to burn the shorts, which comes under any definition of manipulation, or worse - fraud.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited August 2018
    @stjohn

Possible questions.

Remain

Probably not. The question doesn't get more sensible by being asked twice. But if there was a CLEAR public demand for a rethink this would be a democratically valid way of getting ourselves out of the hole we find ourselves in

b) Support No Deal
    c) Support Remain.

If there's a vote, I would go for Remain. Without a vote, as I confidently expect there won't be, shitty compromise is the only real likely outcome.

• Options
    Boris is ever more a no no
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    kle4 said:

Shhh... We're supposed to be saving it for a thread
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Do you disagree?
    I was going to recruit Voltaire to Sunil's defence. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". But Google informs me he never said this. It was his biographer's phrase.

What he did however say in Candide, which is my favourite last line from a book, is, "let us cultivate our garden". Which I interpret as, "life's complicated and hard to make sense of. So find a routine you enjoy and enjoy it."
    Wasn't it Voltaire who said "The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease"

Incidentally Liverpool to win the Premiership with Mo S top scorer 22/1 with William Hill.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I can’t believe the Boris story is a story. He said something stupid but he has every right to be an idiot.

I really think that Corbyn and Boris are very similar - they both provoke hatred from their opponents to such an extent that it doesn’t matter what they say but they immediately provoke large numbers of people. You could literally have a picture of Boris and quote Corbyn’s words beneath and the Corbyn crowd would go ballistic - and vice Versa!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Your cheek looks a bit sore. Have you been in a fight with Ben Stokes?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited August 2018
    Roger said:

stjohn said:

Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Do you disagree?

Wasn't it Voltaire who said "The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease"

Incidentally Liverpool to win the Premiership with Mo S top scorer 22/1 with William Hill.
    Are you suggesting it is their year?
    They have 25 points to make up on City. 2 more than separated WBA (bottom) from Burnley (7th).
  • Options
    Roger said:

stjohn said:

Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Do you disagree?

Google says you are right about the medicine quote.

I wouldn't argue with that bet on Salah and Liverpool. But my 2018/19 Premiership financial fortunes lie with the number of goals scored by a little known new signing for Brighton called Alireza Jahanbakhsh, recommended to me by a well known, but deeply modest PB-er, whose identity I cannot therefore disclose. (He may or may not be a resident of Putney).
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see that the London crossbreak in the latest Yougov poll puts the Tories 6% ahead of Labour.
  • Options
    As an aside, I think the Democrats win tonight fairly easily, but then lose the District again in three months when it's contested again.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I think the Democrats win tonight fairly easily, but then lose the District again in three months when it's contested again.

I suspect you may be right. Dems have shown a great ability to turn out the vote in Trump-era special elections. Whether the Reps will be able to do similar when actual political change on a national level is in prospect (at least in regards to control of the House) in November remains unanswered as yet.
    Although Dems won't need Ohio 12th to win, nor the Alabama district.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    justin124 said:

I see that the London crossbreak in the latest Yougov poll puts the Tories 6% ahead of Labour.

Which therefore puts Labour ahead in the rest of UK.
    Bloody elite vs honest provincial strivers... :)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

I suspect you may be right. Dems have shown a great ability to turn out the vote in Trump-era special elections. Whether the Reps will be able to do similar when actual political change on a national level is in prospect (at least in regards to control of the House) in November remains unanswered as yet.
    Interestingly, Special Elections never used to have these kind of "swings" in the US. I might do a video / article on changing special elections...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Thatcher the geat environmentalist.
    Cut back on the coal mines in Britain.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    Scott_P said:
    What Boris said was very scheming. But he is perfectly entitled to say it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Interestingly, Special Elections never used to have these kind of "swings" in the US. I might do a video / article on changing special elections...
    Please do. Anything to distract from Brexit.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    ""The Lib Dems are not just empty. They are a void within a vacuum surrounded by a vast inanition.""

Inanition is the kind of word that only Lib Dems would use.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    justin124 said:

Proof that one should never pay any attention to sub-samples.
  • Options
    surby said:
    Looks like the Dems will take 51:49.

What a pointless election (except in that it will be morale boosting for the Dems).
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    rcs1000 said:

surby said:

What a pointless election (except in that it will be morale boosting for the Dems).
    Actually it looks like a very slight Republican win - as the votes outstanding are in a Republican leaning county (Delaware) and it's currently dead even.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

surby said:

Actually it looks like a very slight Republican win - as the votes outstanding are in a Republican leaning county (Delaware) and it's currently dead even.
    Yeah looks like the GOP will do it. Dunno about the threshold for an automatic recount in OH but typically it’s <0.5% and I think the final margin will be just outside that. Still, quite a feat for the Dems to run such a red district to slmost a dead heat.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

surby said:

Yeah looks like the GOP will do it. Dunno about the threshold for an automatic recount in OH but typically it’s <0.5% and I think the final margin will be just outside that. Still, quite a feat for the Dems to run such a red district to slmost a dead heat.</p>
    You are right :)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    rpjs said:

brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

surby said:

Yeah looks like the GOP will do it. Dunno about the threshold for an automatic recount in OH but typically it’s <0.5% and I think the final margin will be just outside that. Still, quite a feat for the Dems to run such a red district to slmost a dead heat.</p>
    That was rather closer than expected, 50.1 vs 49.3 in favour of the Republicans with nearly all the votes counted. The Dems have been good at getting their vote out for these by-elections, the question is can they manage it when it really counts in November?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Thatcher the geat environmentalist.
    Cut back on the coal mines in Britain.
    Brilliant video. Worth watching. I am spending £150k on a new CHP system. Playback is about 4 years. This will cut my demand on the grid by about 80%. My tenant installs new Led lighting systems into large commercial facilities .they recently did a large hospital in england and saved lighting electricity costs by 85%. Scotland is awash in electricity with demand falling off.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    new thread...
This discussion has been closed.