Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at the US budget crisis and wonders whe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited October 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson looks at the US budget crisis and wonders whether Obama is about to be impeached

At first glance, the lead question seems such an obvious Question To Which The Answer Is No that you’d be forgiven for thinking ‘why’, ‘how’ or even ‘what?!’.  In a sensible world, it would be – but then in a sensible world, the US federal government wouldn’t be the best part of a week into shutdown – and political betting is as much as anything an exercise is scenario planning.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Paddy Power market on a US Treasury default in 2013:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/other-politics/us-politics-specials?ev_oc_grp_ids=1315341

No was 1/4, now 1/6, but still value, I think. A default first requires Republicans to hold out for two weeks, then Obama to fail to find a way to honour the debt (shifting money around, platinum coin, just ignoring the debt ceiling or whatever).
  • Options
    On topic, Obama doesn't even have to do anything iffy for the House to pass an impeachment motion. If they back down on the debt ceiling the outrage will have to find a new channel, and they never have a problem thinking up ways they think Obama is breaching the constitution.

The Senate would squish it though, even if the Republicans win control of it by a small margin next year.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Johnson's impeachment in 1868 failed by a single vote, in part because there was no Vice-President in place to succeed (Johnson, as himself Vice-President, had inherited the presidency from the assassinated Lincoln, and it was not until the XXV Amendment in 1967 that provision was made for a Vice-Presidential vacancy to be filled by appointment). The Presidency would have thus devolved on Benjamin Wade, President pro tempore of the Senate, considered a dangerous radical...
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited October 2013
    I've often thought that times like these highlight a failure in the US system, rigidly fixed election dates and a defined line of succession to the post of POTUS.

In just about another other mature democracy an impasse like this would be resolved by a snap election and a fresh mandate being delivered or refused. The people would decide.

Does congress have the power to dissolve itself ? I'm don't think so, but aren't 100% sure
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

I've often thought that times like these highlight a failure in the US system, rigidly fixed election dates and a defined line of succession to the post of POTUS.

In just about another other mature democracy an impasse like this would be resolved by a snap election and a fresh mandate being delivered or refused. The people would decide.

Does congress have the power to dissolve itself ? I'm don't think so, but aren't 100% sure

If each member chose to retire, then yes. I don't think there is any other mechanism for it though.
  • Options

Astonishingly crap design, isn't it? The problem is that Americans got this whole quasi-religious thing about their constitution which prevents them from fixing the bits that the founders bollocksed up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,621
    Interesting article Mr Herdson - thx.

"If it turns out that President Barack
    Obama can made a deal with the most
    intransigent, hardline, unreasonable,
    totalitarian Mullahs in the world, but
    not with Republicans, maybe he's not
    the problem" - Jon Stewart
  • Options
    The Republican Party has gone stark raving mad. Decision-making driven by personal hatred is sub-optimal, to say the least. They could well drag us all down.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Although the problem stems in very large part from the fact that the 2012 delivered an ambiguous mandate: Obama was re-elected but so was the Republican-led House.

It's the separation of powers which is the problem here. America is highly unusual in having a head of government who is not answerable to the legislature. That the head of government happens to be the head of state as well just compounds the problem.
  • Options
    David Herdson: "Unlike the UK, where no impeachment has occurred for over two centuries..."

The last person to be impeached was a Scot. And no run of the mill Scot either.

King Harry the Ninth, the Grand Manager of Scotland, the Great Tyrant and the Uncrowned King of Scotland, here he is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Dundas,_1st_Viscount_Melville

Tory Dundas ran Scotland, and especially Edinburgh, as his own private fiefdom, at a time when the Westminster government had next to zero say in the home affairs of Scotland.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TND: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead shrinks to 3 as Tories take ground from UKIP post conference. CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%.

So Labour back below 40 and Cons back up to 35. Confirms my view about the nonsense of party conference polling. We're back where we started with the Labour lead significantly down from 6 months ago. All the froth about fuel price freeze and smash the Daily Mail having little discernible effect on the electorate.
  • Options

Although the problem stems in very large part from the fact that the 2012 delivered an ambiguous mandate: Obama was re-elected but so was the Republican-led House.

It's the separation of powers which is the problem here. America is highly unusual in having a head of government who is not answerable to the legislature. That the head of government happens to be the head of state as well just compounds the problem.
    They'd have the same problem if there was no president, and it was just the lower house vs the upper house. Lots of countries have the potential for deadlock, but competently designed constitutions have a way to let the voters step in to resolve it.
  • Options

It's worth remembering that nationally the Democrats won more votes than the Republicans for the House too. It's the electoral system that delivered the Republicans their House majority.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Technically i supose they could repeal the consitution, close down the federal system, voiding all the debt which would belong to the defunct USA and then start a new co style nation via a covention of the states.

A bit like Glasgow Rangers / Sevco.

Seems legally fine to me.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The US has failed to address its spending - Obama heading into Gordon Brown territory.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2013
    Morning All.

And Thanks Mr Herdson – was hoping there would be a thread on the US shutdown.
  • Options

They'd have the same problem if there was no president, and it was just the lower house vs the upper house. Lots of countries have the potential for deadlock, but competently designed constitutions have a way to let the voters step in to resolve it.
    I take the point, but SO's original comment I was responding to was that fresh elections would deliver a mandate, which given the US's political structure isn't necessarily true; the last ones didn't. For that matter, the 2012 elections also gave the Republicans a House majority while the Democrats stormed the Senate, so I agree: an upper/lower House mandate tussle is equally plausible, even after fresh elections.

Either way, that's not the system they have. What they do have is something that looks set for deadlock for some time to come. How long? There lies the key question. Some odds from Ladbrokes (which I hadn't seen when penning my piece):

When will the US Federal shutdown end?

Before the 17th of October 2/5
    From the 17th of October to the 31st of October 5/2
    November 10/1
    December 20/1
    January 2014 or later 20/1

As I mention in the piece, the 17 October probably isn't quite as significant as is currently being made out but there's not much wriggle-room. Removing the over-rounds, that implies only a 60:40 chance that it'll all be over before 17/10.
  • Options
    felix said:

TND: YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead shrinks to 3 as Tories take ground from UKIP post conference. CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%.

So Labour back below 40 and Cons back up to 35. Confirms my view about the nonsense of party conference polling. We're back where we started with the Labour lead significantly down from 6 months ago. All the froth about fuel price freeze and smash the Daily Mail having little discernible effect on the electorate.

Ed in a crybaby slump ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,236
    They had an election on Obamacare in 2012. Obama won, and fairly comfortably. The Republican party, who had already held the changes up for years, really ought to accept that.

But they are mad.

At the moment the Fed is printing $85bn a month. If I were a fiscal Conservative in the US I would be a lot more concerned about that than Obamacare. Congress has lost control of the Fed and push comes to shove, I see no reason that they cannot decide to print enough money to pay the bills. A default seems vanishingly unlikely but economic damage is looking more of a prospect.

So far the markets have almost completely ignored this nonsense, no doubt to the great frustration of the egos involved. If there comes a point when they don't the response will be sharp and drastic. You would really like to think these were career ending choices that were being made here.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    It doesn't seem to help that the constituencies, the congressional districts', boundaries are not drawn by an independent Electoral Commission. I don't think anyone's ever queried ours on the grounds of gerrymandering, whereas as I understand it in the US that's quite common.
  • Options
    Tgohf, why did you press the troll button on my last post? Really uncalled for
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986
    As I have said passim, American politics is fundamentally broken. From the egregiousness of funding, to the fact that there are only two significant parties, both on the right.

Is there any part of the American political system that a sane country would want to copy?
  • Options

Tgohf, why did you press the troll button on my last post? Really uncalled for

As was bringing your "zombie" nonsense out. Get a life.
  • Options
    felix said:

I don't think Labour is in any trouble until the LD share starts to climb, if it get > 15% then its trouble.
  • Options
    I know the nation is still outraged at the Mail but is Ali Campbell the best man for leading the charge.... tweeting again like mad again this morning. I wonder what his motivation might be other than obviously his strong moral compass. Seems like he's getting something off his chest? Or is he also trying to chummy up with Ed and the young ones like Owen and Mehdi?

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret7m
    .“@originalneilg: They are putting up the city editor on @bbc5live Is there anyone we havn't seen from the Mail??”<where's wally? #cowars

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret7m
    Thanks to the 40k who have signed petition calling on coward Dacre to debate on TV pls RT http://change.org/Dacredebate #wheresDacre

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret10m
    at gate 24C all Mails now covered by Indy and FT in freebie bins. Arrived too late to stop one or two from Mail infection #coward

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret1h
    Sounds like @mehdirhasan took apart the Mail on #bbcqt How brave is Dacre tho? First sends out deputy then a theatre critic #coward

Memo to BA - am on flight to Vienna shortly. Please make sure plenty of dustbins next to Mail freebie bins -

@suedehead42: @mehdirhasan Brilliant performance tonight. Your anti-Daily Mail diatribe was in the @campbellclaret class” <wish I had seen
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    It started in America .......
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,236
    tim said:

I assume at some point 30/40 Republican congreessmen will have the guts to vote against the lunatics taking over their party, the polling is devastating for the GOP Congress.

It's a bit more split than that. From the NYT:
    "The CBS News poll found 44 percent blaming Republicans in Congress, while 35 percent place more blame with President Obama and Congressional Democrats.

While both sides are rated negatively in their handling of budget negotiations, Republicans are even more so: 72 percent disapprove of the way they are handling the debate, compared with 61 percent disapproval for Mr. Obama and Congressional Democrats. And Americans are more apt to say Mr. Obama and Congressional Democrats have greater concern for doing what is best for their families."

http://www.nytimes.com/news/fiscal-crisis/2013/10/03/poll-finds-majority-disapprove-of-shutting-down-government-over-health-law/

So Obama is getting by far the better of the argument but it is a fair bet that that 35% is very highly represented in the gerrymandered seats the Congressional leadership holds.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

As I have said passim, American politics is fundamentally broken. From the egregiousness of funding, to the fact that there are only two significant parties, both on the right.

Is there any part of the American political system that a sane country would want to copy?

Personally I like the idea of a Legislature that can tell the Executive to get stuffed.

By the way, does anyone have a link to a fairly simple neutral guide to the Obamacare/Budget row? I feel I ought to have an opinion but don't know enough about it.

• Options
    tim said:

I assume at some point 30/40 Republican congreessmen will have the guts to vote against the lunatics taking over their party, the polling is devastating for the GOP Congress.

I tend to agree with that except for the line towards the end of my piece: "many a bad decision has been made in a closed environment with the blood up". It may look and feel very different within the Capitol as compared to outside DC.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Well worth watching from about 29 mins in.(Medhi's reply to Quentin Letts) The BBC were running it on all their bulletins but stopped this morning. The Mail must have complained and sadly the BBC have lost their nerve

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03c6zxq/Question_Time_03_10_2013/
  • Options
    tim said:

That's what will happen if Boehner lets them have a vote, but then he's got the right on his case. If he doesn't, does anyone know whether it's procedurally possible for GOP rebels to vote to have a vote, or would they have to bring down Boehner and install their own speaker to do that?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    TGOHF

"As was bringing your "zombie" nonsense out. Get a life."

for one of the most unpleasant posters on here to tell someone to get a life is surely ironic? A pity cos you used to be one of the funniest
  • Options

The Republican Party has gone stark raving mad. Decision-making driven by personal hatred is sub-optimal, to say the least. They could well drag us all down.

We're all going down in any case at some point.

The promises governments have made to their peoples are impossible to meet.

The only things to be decided are when and how it will happen.

• Options
    I dont even understand the zombie reference.
  • Options
    tim said:

Dacre sending out all and sundry to cover for his cowardice.
    They know now how Chloe Smith felt on Newsnight

Another day of this drivel and reading the Mail starts to look attractive.
  • Options
    tim said:

Surely anyone doing that would invite a tea party funded challanger in the next primary season and invite rino jibes?

• Options
    Oh whiney boy's about to come on TV .

• Options

tim said:

The response of the PB lefties reeks of panic.

Two things which might concern them:

1) EdM's privileged background has been given more publicity
    2) EdM's traitorous grandfather might get discussed at some point
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

AB,

"Another day of this drivel and reading the Mail starts to look attractive"

The Mail may be obnoxious, ahead of the rest of the press, but any more of this wall-to-wall whingeing, and I'll buy the Mail for the first time as a protest.

No one has died (apart from Ralph, and that was years ago). Let it go now. Or will Campbell and the rest of the pack only be satisfied with re-education camps for Mail readers?
  • Options

tim said:

The response of the PB lefties reeks of panic.

Two things which might concern them:

1) EdM's privileged background has been given more publicity
    2) EdM's traitorous grandfather might get discussed at some point
    One could also add the vacuity of his father's ideas. I'm surprised none of the press has kicked Ed where it hurts - in the empty space between his ears.

What relevance has a man spouting C19 solutions to C21 issues ?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

AB,

The Mail may be obnoxious, ahead of the rest of the press, but any more of this wall-to-wall whingeing, and I'll buy the Mail for the first time as a protest.

No one has died (apart from Ralph, and that was years ago). Let it go now. Or will Campbell and the rest of the pack only be satisfied with re-education camps for Mail readers?

Well it's Ed's last chance to play Leveson. However I'm surprised none of the press has hit back. Ed's attack on change your culture just opens up the whole issue of Labour's culture and who are they to lecture anyone else.( see Ed's mate McBride ). Ed's left his legs open for a hard riposte.
  • Options
    Excellent piece, David, which helps explains to a large extent wtf is going on over there.

Another way of looking at it is that the GOP seems to have not accepted the result of the last election. They keep going like this, they'll like the result of the next one even less.
  • Options

tim said:

Surely anyone doing that would invite a tea party funded challanger in the next primary season and invite rino jibes?

There are already enough Republicans on the record as saying they'll vote for a clean continuing resolution and debt ceiling increase to pass it with Democratic votes. The problem is that Boehner has to allow them to actually have that vote.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Good morning, everyone.

Sorry about the absence of an early discussion piece. I just, er, forgot about it. The pre-qualifying piece is up early due to Korea's timezone, and there's no tip offered:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/korea-pre-qualifying.html

From what I've read it looks like there might actually be some competition at the sharp end this time.
  • Options
    It will be interesting if EdM has anything to say about this:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/70-workers-axed-at-doncaster-pit-1-6109228

As a local MP and former energy minister it should be worthy of comment. Or is it too real world to be worthy of his attention.

• Options
    Ed wibbling on the Mail. is he trying to back out of the fight ?

he could go for the jugular but is kicking it in to the long grass.
  • Options
    BTW per this report it does seem like Boehner would allow a vote on the debt ceiling so that Democrats + moderate Republicans can pass it, but it's hard to be certain that that's what he's saying.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/us/politics/debt-limit-impasse.html?hp=&amp;
  • Options
    On-topic: thanks for the interesting article, Mr. Herdson. I was wondering what would happen if this crisis dragged on and the debt ceiling became a serious issue.

How would such an impeachment go, though? Would both not paying debts and unilaterally increasing the ceiling be illegal, and would that guarantee Obama's defeat or provide a cast-iron defence?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

CD13 said:

AB,

Well it's Ed's last chance to play Leveson. However I'm surprised none of the press has hit back. Ed's attack on change your culture just opens up the whole issue of Labour's culture and who are they to lecture anyone else.( see Ed's mate McBride ). Ed's left his legs open for a hard riposte.
    For the moment Ed could announce the nationalisation and sale to Russia of the Royal Family and he would be untouchable.

The Mail actions were despicable, and stupid, both journalistically and politically.

Fine. Let Ed have his moment.

Political attacks will have to wait a bit until this dies down and only then focus on energy prices or housing stock or something else extremely boring (to non-PBers).
  • Options

tim said:

There are already enough Republicans on the record as saying they'll vote for a clean continuing resolution and debt ceiling increase to pass it with Democratic votes. The problem is that Boehner has to allow them to actually have that vote.
    Boehner didn't do himself any favours (or favors rather) with his support for Obama's attempt to bomb Syria.
  • Options

Both of the 'right' - depending on your definition of 'right'. However left/right has become a meaningless way of looking at political divides. The real split is between statist / individualist or collectivist / libertarian. Both parties in the USA want to grow the state and have their big unions / corporate lobbies to appease. But simple economics mean that can't happen. The viability of deficit funded welfare states has reached the end of the road as debt cannot rise forever. Defaults loom. So the ultimate aim of the Tea Partiers to force some sanity on entitlement spending and deficit / debt management is entirely reasonable. Their chosen means to achieve it is insane and may well cause huge damage.

But there is no space in the American two party system for a sane debate on how to live within one's means. If Obama had an ounce of leadership he'd be giving the same messages that Dave n George are and seek to be eliminating a totally unaffordable deficit.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited October 2013
    I'm really not getting this extended crying by EdM - it was published last Saturday FFS.

And he's still crying about it after initially being not that bothered on the day it was or the day after.

Adrian Hilton @Adrian_Hilton
    Bit rich of Miliband to demand "long, hard look" at Mail's "culture and practices". Labour's internal workings could do with a bit of a look
  • Options
    tim said:

I hope the Mail decides to start going after grandparents and the privileged status of refugees from Hitler.
    The backlash against Labour would be fearsome

That's in PB Toryworld of course, a parallel universe where reality never intrudes

I think the Mail is well placed to talk about the issues of "culture" as invited by Ed. They've just run McBride, personally if I was editor I'd be having a go at Ed's party in smearing his colleagues and opponents. Ditch the family, Ed's made culture the issue and he's standing on quicksand.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2013
    BoJo unveils plan to rebuild Crystal Palace – worth a look just for the old photos.

(anecdote: I know the site well, my brother and I often used it as a short cut to get from the bus stop at the top of the hill to the sports centre & swimming pool. It doesn’t appear to have changed much in 40 years.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442468/Crystal-Palace-rebuild-plans-unveiled.html#comments
  • Options

tim said:

Boehner didn't do himself any favours (or favors rather) with his support for Obama's attempt to bomb Syria.
    I don't think that affects this one one way or the other. But he clearly got pushed into the shutdown, and it's fear of being knifed by the right that's forced him to let it go as far as it has, despite the complete absence of any kind of strategy behind it.
  • Options

It will be interesting if EdM has anything to say about this:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/70-workers-axed-at-doncaster-pit-1-6109228

As a local MP and former energy minister it should be worthy of comment. Or is it too real world to be worthy of his attention.

maybe he could tell the miners it's good news as they'll be producing less carbon and that's why he taxes their jobs.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

I dont even understand the zombie reference.

Your crude attempt to slag Rangers and compare them to the undead, ie zombie company
  • Options
    Mr. G, just a brief independence thingummyjig I forgot to ask about the last time such was discussed. Let us imagine the SNP get what they want. Is it their policy to be part of Schengen[sp], or to be outside it?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

But there is no space in the American two party system for a sane debate on how to live within one's means. If Obama had an ounce of leadership he'd be giving the same messages that Dave n George are and seek to be eliminating a totally unaffordable deficit.

I don't think anyone in British politics is proposing anything remotely as drastic as the cuts the US has made. The US budget sequestration is what Osborne would be doing if his actions actually matched his messaging.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

I hope the Mail decides to start going after grandparents and the privileged status of refugees from Hitler.

That's in PB Toryworld of course, a parallel universe where reality never intrudes

I think the Mail is well placed to talk about the issues of "culture" as invited by Ed. They've just run McBride, personally if I was editor I'd be having a go at Ed's party in smearing his colleagues and opponents. Ditch the family, Ed's made culture the issue and he's standing on quicksand.
    In PB Toryworld it's a tragedy for Ed.
    But the people pushing that line get everything wrong all the time, it never ends and they never learn.

yeah yeah tim keep going.

Two years ago you were telling us Ed's press enquiry was the biggest thing ever and no-one could run smears or attack anyone ever again. And yet looking at the week just gone it's plus ca change. So as ever you confuse a headline with change, activity with action. So far Ed's changed diddly squat and he's backing out quietly from the current dispute. On Monday we'll all be talking about something else.
  • Options
    tim said:

So you don't deny that EdM's grandfather betrayed his country.

That's not EdM's fault of course.

But once someone gets into a pattern of defending the family honour they're liable to take it further than they should.

EdM should have taken a 'judge me by my own actions, by what I did in government, by what I'm doing as Labour leader and by what I've done for my own constituents' line.

The problem there is that EdM's record isn't very impressive - there's being in charge of directing Britain's long term economic planning, there's green taxes and a lack of power stations being built, there's a lot of meaningless crap talked about 'predistribution' and there's a constituency which has been given sod all attention.

Some people would also criticize him for the Labour leadership contest - but I quite admire him for that.

Lets face it EdM's greatest achievement is outmanouevering his brother although its perhaps more accurate to say that DM outmanouevered himself. Which brings us back full circle to the Miliband family and their upbringing.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2013
    Re posting over 'resignation' of Labour PPC for Kingswood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-24391278

Josie Channer owes more than £2,000 in parking and late payment fees to the Borough of Barking and Dagenham, where she also sits as a councillor.Councillor Channer said she thought the charges had been dealt with previously. She also chairs the local authority committee which scrutinises parking.

Is this 'entitlement political culture at work?
  • Options

Patrick said:

I don't think anyone in British politics is proposing anything remotely as drastic as the cuts the US has made. The US budget sequestration is what Osborne would be doing if his actions actually matched his messaging.
    All the US cuts are coming from discretionary spending. They aren't doing anything to entitlement programs. In fact the AFA will increase the cost of healthcare quite a bit. It's the trajectory of the entitlement spend that is going to bankrupt the USA, not the much smaller discretionary elements.

But I have to agree with you that Osborne has been all mouth and no trousers on actually cutting our spending. I want to see some actual real cuts and the resultant tax cuts to match please.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Kevin Maguire @Kevin_Maguire
    Labour reality check: @LordAshcroft in today's @DailyMirror on how Cameron could still wn mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/l…

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lord-ashcroft-general-election-labour-2337024

"First, the choice of PM. In my latest survey Cameron trounced Miliband when it came to representing the UK, leading a team, and knowing what he wanted to achieve. Most thought Cameron would perform better overall, and one in five Labour voters said that even though they weren’t satisfied with him they would rather see him in the job than Ed Miliband.

Second, the economy. Things are starting to pick up, and my poll found voters now more likely to be optimistic than pessimistic. They trusted Cameron and Osborne to run things more than Miliband and Balls by a huge margin.

Third, Miliband is doing surprisingly little to address the worries people have about his party. Most voters, including two fifths of those who would vote Labour, fear the party would spend and borrow more than the country can afford, and has not learned the right lessons from its time in government.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scrapheap_as_was

'I know the nation is still outraged at the Mail but is Ali Campbell the best man for leading the charge.... tweeting again like mad again this morning. I wonder what his motivation might be other than obviously his strong moral compass.'

As pointed out by Guido it must be comical Ali's moral compass.

'“Campbell has been on his high horse all week saying he never briefed against Tony Blair’s ministers – apart from the time he lost his temper with anti-Iraq leftie Clare Short and suggested Gordon Brown was “psychologically flawed”. Those of us with longer memories know this is spin. In May 1997 when he first arrived in Downing Street, Campbell shocked senior civil servants by telling them that two Cabinet ministers “couldn’t keep their trousers on”, that Derry Irvine, the Lord Chancellor, hated Donald Dewar, the Scottish Secretary. Smirking, he said “Nick Brown, was ever the bachelor” – before he was outed as gay. He went on to hint at the Foreign Secretary Robin Cook’s then adulterous affair with his secretary Gaynor Regan. All that was just in the first month he was in Downing Street and before he went on – as Michael Howard famously told him – “bullying and lying his way across our political life”.”
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

In PB Toryworld it's a tragedy for Ed.
    But the people pushing that line get everything wrong all the time, it never ends and they never learn.

yeah yeah tim keep going.

Two years ago you were telling us Ed's press enquiry was the biggest thing ever and no-one could run smears or attack anyone ever again. And yet looking at the week just gone it's plus ca change. So as ever you confuse a headline with change, activity with action. So far Ed's changed diddly squat and he's backing out quietly from the current dispute. On Monday we'll all be talking about something else.
    Yeah, non story
    Well at least it's the first admission you've made of that, I'll thank and bank that one.

Meanwhile Dave gets off scot-free from a half-baked U25 policy, a cock-up which really needed a kicking

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/the-ravelling-and-unravelling-of-the-one-policy-in-david-camerons-speech/

But Prima Donna Ed says it's all about meeeeeee and the job of scrutinising the government gets forgotten.

I wonder if Dave or Lynton is laughing loudest ?
  • Options
    One thing's for dead sure - tim will still be talking about Mailibandsmeargate on Monday!

We had a brief glorious respite, a tim-free Indian summer, for a fleeting moment of PB zenlike calm around about the 10,000 post mark. Back to service as normal I'm afraid. :-(
  • Options

Mr. G, just a brief independence thingummyjig I forgot to ask about the last time such was discussed. Let us imagine the SNP get what they want. Is it their policy to be part of Schengen[sp], or to be outside it?

Morning Morris, Must say I have heard little said on it apart from unionists saying we would have to be in and need borders etc with England. Personally I doubt it and no matter what happens I would expect both sides to want to keep open borders within UK.
    Certainly not a hot topic up here.
  • Options

tim said:

I don't think that affects this one one way or the other. But he clearly got pushed into the shutdown, and it's fear of being knifed by the right that's forced him to let it go as far as it has, despite the complete absence of any kind of strategy behind it.
    Boehner does seem unimpressive to me, lacking any sort of vision or strategy and not even a competant party organiser.

But then the whole Republican leadership seems unimpressive, the Presidential contenders being the most visible example.

In such a situation a small number of committed individuals with strong beliefs can have influence beyond their station.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

All the US cuts are coming from discretionary spending. They aren't doing anything to entitlement programs. In fact the AFA will increase the cost of healthcare quite a bit. It's the trajectory of the entitlement spend that is going to bankrupt the USA, not the much smaller discretionary elements.

But I have to agree with you that Osborne has been all mouth and no trousers on actually cutting our spending. I want to see some actual real cuts and the resultant tax cuts to match please.
    Entitlements are mostly pensions and healthcare. It's hard to see any government taking the axe to those because the more the aging population adds to the bills, the more voters there are who oppose cutting them.

The only way it could happen would be of there was a lot more immigration of younger people, combined with younger people somehow becoming more motivated to vote, or older people less motivated to vote.
  • Options
    Mr. G, fair enough. Open borders would suggest that being outside the free travel group would be the preference.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

"I think the Mail is well placed to talk about the issues of "culture" as invited by Ed. They've just run McBride, personally if I was editor I'd be having a go at Ed's party in smearing his colleagues and opponents."

I know it's difficult to take the party political out of this but I know of no other country where their newspapers are anywhere near corrosive as ours. Single individuals with money having Prime Ministers crawling all over the world to genuflect to them is not healthy for our democracy or our culture.

I think this battle with the Mail is really important. Our values need looking at and while the the arbiters and blockers of anything progressive are always going to be the likes of Dacre and Murdoch it just wont happen
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Unusually, I disagree with a David Herdson thread header.

The US is down to the tune of a staggering $16 trillion. ObamaCare will make that figure much worse. Surely the sensible response by a right of centre party is to stop the non-essential spending whilst keeping the military operational? Hell, that's basically what we should be doing *all* of the time.

Shutdowns are great in that rather like our so-called "cuts" here, nobody would notice they were happening if it wasn't for the media saying so. That coverage in itself neatly reminds the public that government spends like a drunken sailor. When you stop doing it then the public are oddly shocked to find that things carry along just as they did beforehand.

In the 1996 shutdown, Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress, so it really was a showdown between Republicans in Congress and a Democrat in the White House. Today with the RINO contingent it is not even clear that real Republicans control the House. But they certainly don't control the Senate. Democrats in Washington are at least two-thirds to blame for this.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

So you don't deny that EdM's grandfather betrayed his country.

If only someone would pick this up and run with it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Indeed. From Guido http://order-order.com/2013/10/04/milibands-forced-decency/

"This is about Leveson, the Royal Charter and state regulation of the press. Miliband believes it is for politicians to decide whether papers “reflect the values of the British people”. Read that as whether they reflect his values. He wants to know how papers are “allowed” to print opinion that he disagrees with, that he finds offensive. That last line, “we need to have proper standards of decency in our press”, is chilling. It shows an incredible mindset from Miliband that he feels it is a politician’s place to decide what constitutes “decency” in the media. As Fraser Nelson notes, next week the Privy Council meets to discuss newspapers’ attempt to prevent state regulation of the press. Hugh Grant and Hacked Off have already tried to hijack the story. Miliband’s timing is no coincidence…"
  • Options
    EiT

Healthcare in the USA is quite obscenely inefficient. They spend as much as us in % terms on public health - and then the same again privately. HMOs can't compete across state borders, they don't buy genric drugs but brand names, the clinical liability laws mean that the cost of superfluous tests and procedures and medical personnel insurance is OTT. The whole design of the system is a costly and wasteful monster. They need even more than we do to wipe it away and bring in a fully free market in health services. Whether that is paid for out of tax or through a free market in insurance or subsidy is a political debate. But the costs of service that any funding model must satisfy is just outrageous. 1 dollar in 6 of the US economy is spent in healthcare. That needs root and branch reform. The AFA just makes it worse.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Miliband’s timing is no coincidence…"

How cunning of him to have the Mail attack his Dad in this manner just at the right time. Truly he is the most devious, the most cunning of them all.
  • Options
    Paul Goodman is rather good here

"Stephen Moss’s report from the opening day of the conference helps to put the row about the Daily Mail and Ralph Miliband into context. The paper and its Editor are being targeted by the Left, as another round of Leveson looms, for sacking and censorship: a headline about hate has put it in the dock, charged with being an organ of hate. But where is the hate from the right – which, after all, has been roughly the same size electorally as the right since the war and before, if one tots up the totals at each general election? Where are the demonstrators wearing “Kill Labour scum” T-shirts outside that party’s conferences each year?" http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2013/10/the-hate-of-the-left.html
  • Options

Mr. G, fair enough. Open borders would suggest that being outside the free travel group would be the preference.

Yes, Scotland would have to be outside Schengen (by negotiation with the EU - tricky) and also agree open borders with rUK (presumably easier as both sides would like that)

We have a similar situation here and both sides of the border are obligated under EU law to enforce adequate and efficient passport/customs controls either side of a two member state but Schengen/non-Schengen border.

So without that EU opt-out there would need to be at least visible border controls. Quite how fluid you made them in practice would be a goodwill thing and I would suggest that the goodwill would exist to make them little more than a token gesture.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Alanbrooke

"I think the Mail is well placed to talk about the issues of "culture" as invited by Ed. They've just run McBride, personally if I was editor I'd be having a go at Ed's party in smearing his colleagues and opponents."

I know it's difficult to take the party political out of this but I know of no other country where their newspapers are anywhere near corrosive as ours. Single individuals with money having Prime Ministers crawling all over the world to genuflect to them is not healthy for our democracy or our culture.

I think this battle with the Mail is really important. Our values need looking at and while the the arbiters and blockers of anything progressive are always going to be the likes of Dacre and Murdoch it just wont happen

I know you've travelled quite a bit Roger, so I'll out that down to senility creeping in.

How about a few memory joggers ( you've complained about some of these yourself ) Italy ( Berlusconi ), Fox news USA ( Murdoch ), Australia ( Murdoch and Fairfax ), Germany Bildzeitung ( Springer ).

Or would you rather have it the other way round where just about anywhere with an authoritarian government has the Prime Minister telling the papers what to print ?
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    Well I, for one, agree with Tim. The left hating the Mail is a real game changer.

Meanwhile, the only short term story that matters is one from April 2015 onwards. It's the long term that matters with any story at the moment and the long term effect of this story, (if there is any), is that those who don't follow politics closely may have the faint recollection when they are in the voting booth of Miliband being a marxist and Miliband being a victim. Neither are traits many want in their PM.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

EiT

Healthcare in the USA is quite obscenely inefficient. They spend as much as us in % terms on public health - and then the same again privately. HMOs can't compete across state borders, they don't buy genric drugs but brand names, the clinical liability laws mean that the cost of superfluous tests and procedures and medical personnel insurance is OTT. The whole design of the system is a costly and wasteful monster. They need even more than we do to wipe it away and bring in a fully free market in health services. Whether that is paid for out of tax or through a free market in insurance or subsidy is a political debate. But the costs of service that any funding model must satisfy is just outrageous. 1 dollar in 6 of the US economy is spent in healthcare. That needs root and branch reform. The AFA just makes it worse.

Like Button *click*
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

The US is down to the tune of a staggering $16 trillion. ObamaCare will make that figure much worse. Surely the sensible response by a right of centre party is to stop the non-essential spending whilst keeping the military operational? Hell, that's basically what we should be doing *all* of the time.

Shutdowns are great in that rather like our so-called "cuts" here, nobody would notice they were happening if it wasn't for the media saying so. That coverage in itself neatly reminds the public that government spends like a drunken sailor. When you stop doing it then the public are oddly shocked to find that things carry along just as they did beforehand.

In the 1996 shutdown, Republicans controlled both chambers of Congress, so it really was a showdown between Republicans in Congress and a Democrat in the White House. Today with the RINO contingent it is not even clear that real Republicans control the House. But they certainly don't control the Senate. Democrats in Washington are at least two-thirds to blame for this.

Nobody noticed, Geoff?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24339309

• Options
    @Neil

"If only someone would pick this up and run with it."

LOL!!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,986
    Roger said:

@Alanbrooke

"Our values need looking at..."

What you mean is that you want the media to reflect *your* values. Given your stated belief about women in the workplace, it's a blooming good job they don't.

Although you'll probably find more takers for your view in the Mail than the Guardian ...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

ObamaCare reduces the deficit, because it adds taxes and makes spending more efficient, eg paying providers for making people better instead of paying them for doing more tests and prescribing more pills.

The current fight is nothing to do with the deficit. The main Republican demand is to postpone the individual mandate. Since insurance companies would still have to accept people with pre-existing conditions, people would wait until they got sick before buying health insurance.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    A lot of the problems go back to the first deal that they did when this issue was raised. (Was it in January? Seems longer ago!).

Boehner blinked and agreed to allow some painful tax increases which hurt the Republicans politically. He invested a lot of personal capital in getting that through. And then he got screwed. Absolutely f*cked over by the Democrats - there were supposed to be spending cuts (which had been agreed in principle) but the Dems just refused to implement them. They thought they had "won" and there was nothing the GOP could do.

Now it comes to this time round. Boehner couldn't stop this rather silly attachment device the GOP nutters wanted to use because he has little crediblity inside his party. And he has no incentive to do a deal with the Democrats because he can't trust them to keep their promises.

That's the fundamental flaw with the modern "professionalisation" of politics: clever Enarques and PPEists and Kennedy Scholars all think that a short term tactical win is great and all that matters. And that's fine. Until you reach the point where no compromise can be implemented because you have a reputation for not delivering. I wonder whether we can see the same trend developing in the UK (think HoL reform, boundary reform, Syria). I hope not - but perhaps where the US goes we follow.
  • Options

Morris, majority would be for open UK borders rather than any free links in Europe.
  • Options
    tim said:

Neil said:

Plato said:

Miliband’s timing is no coincidence…"

How cunning of him to have the Mail attack his Dad in this manner just at the right time. Truly he is the most devious, the most cunning of them all.
    His genius and cunning knows no bounds in arranging for the MoS reporters to invade his uncles memorial service as well.

I know who I'd like to see negotiating with the EU.
    Van Rompuy will just say something rude about his dad and he'll burst in to tears and cave in.
  • Options
    Sorry, hit reply too soon. These free riders would increase the cost of healthcare to everyone, including the government, and make the deficit worse.

Tactically it would have been a good idea to make this fight about spending cuts, but the Republicans didn't, probably because they stumbled into the shutdown while trying to flee from their infuriated base rather than setting it up as part of a coordinated strategy.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @dr_spyn

'Josie Channer owes more than £2,000 in parking and late payment fees to the Borough of Barking and Dagenham, where she also sits as a councillor.Councillor Channer said she thought the charges had been dealt with previously. She also chairs the local authority committee which scrutinises parking.

Is this 'entitlement political culture at work?'

Above the law & parking charges just for plebs?
  • Options
    edited October 2013

ObamaCare reduces the deficit, because it adds taxes and makes spending more efficient, eg paying providers for making people better instead of paying them for doing more tests and prescribing more pills.

That ridiculous Congressional Budget Office claim that it reduced the deficit has been rowed back and "updated" plenty of times since the Democrats first fed their own numbers partisan into the independent accountants' meat-grinder.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Fraser isn't happy

" The BBC is certainly doing its best, and is treating his spat with the Daily Mail as if it were a national emergency. The debate about press regulation is impossible to understand in Britain without considering the BBC’s interests. It loathes Sky, and was keen to stop Rupert Murdoch’s attempt to buy the broadcaster outright. Murdoch’s News Corporation had a $12 billion cash pile, and it fancied putting rocket boosters under Sky. Mark Thompson, then head of the BBC, signed a letter begging the government to stop Murdoch. The BBC broke its own rules and became an actor in the drama. Even worse, it never admitted the fact.

Like a medieval army that believes it has to keep conquering or face defeat, the state-funded BBC has started to occupy new terrain and is now a hegemon in providing the printed word. More people get their news from the 18-year-old BBC website than from any newspaper, unfair competition which is crushing not just local newspapers but national ones, too ... Mr Grayling’s Bill of Rights should incorporate a clause about freedom of speech and the press, ideally giving Britons the same protection as afforded to Americans by their First Amendment to the Constitution. It would help judges such as Lord Justice Leveson to understand the importance and definition of a free press.> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/leveson-inquiry/10353230/Press-freedom-and-fairness-should-be-enshrined-in-a-British-Bill-of-Rights.html
  • Options
    Charles said:

And then he got screwed. Absolutely f*cked over by the Democrats - there were supposed to be spending cuts (which had been agreed in principle) but the Dems just refused to implement them.

Eh? What's sequestration all about then?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Plato said:

"Stephen Moss’s report from the opening day of the conference helps to put the row about the Daily Mail and Ralph Miliband into context. The paper and its Editor are being targeted by the Left, as another round of Leveson looms, for sacking and censorship: a headline about hate has put it in the dock, charged with being an organ of hate. But where is the hate from the right – which, after all, has been roughly the same size electorally as the right since the war and before, if one tots up the totals at each general election? Where are the demonstrators wearing “Kill Labour scum” T-shirts outside that party’s conferences each year?" http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2013/10/the-hate-of-the-left.html

No, it's an absurd argument to claim that there these two cohesive organisations called "Left" and "Right". Saying that Labour is responsible for far-left protests demonstrations is like saying that the Tories are responsible for the EDL.
  • Options
    Plato said:

"Stephen Moss’s report from the opening day of the conference helps to put the row about the Daily Mail and Ralph Miliband into context. The paper and its Editor are being targeted by the Left

The left cunningly sent an undercover agent *pretending* to be a Mail on Sunday reporter to Ed's uncle's memorial service in order to undermine the group.

Is there no end to their trickery?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Nobody noticed, Geoff?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24339309

I saw that. Pathetic and embarrassing Obama politics. They also sent out a tweet from the Voyager account saying that the spacecraft would not be responding to alien contact during the shutdown. Last time there was a cash freeze the White House continued to fund lavish summits and host dinners but stopped tours for schoolchildren blaming funding cuts.

It's all about the publicity. That veterans block had a happy ending though, which isn't in the BBC report. A Republican congressman distracted the Park Police whilst the veterans got over the barriers and re-took their memorial.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

That ridiculous Congressional Budget Office claim that it reduced the deficit has been rowed back and "updated" plenty of times since the Democrats first fed their own numbers partisan into the independent accountants' meat-grinder.
    Post your source for that, but I suspect you're being conned by people playing games with the accounting periods or something.
  • Options
    tim said:

GeoffM said:

Obama is cutting the deficit faster than any GOP president in history isn't he?
    Likewise:

Osborne is cutting the deficit faster than any Labour chancellor in history isn't he?

Party hacks always get trapped in their own contradictions.

Much easier to dislike all of them.
This discussion has been closed.