Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This poll just about sums Brexit up – 60% don’t care what happ

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This poll just about sums Brexit up – 60% don’t care what happens over Brexit they just want it to be over

As the issue rolls on and on, do you just want #Brexit to be finished? From yesterday's @BBCWestminHour with @EllieJPrice, six out of ten agreed that they no longer care how or when we leave – they just want it over and done with. That rises to three quarters of leavers. pic.twitter.com/JJGUcbfdN7

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,603
    First! Like Leave & Mrs May...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,603
    Her plan is essentially BINO, Brexit in Name Only

Tell that to the Remainiacs......for most voters if she genuinely ends freedom of movement I suspect it will be good enough whatever UKIP and UKIP-in-exile-on-the-Tory-benches say.....
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    "Just want it over" entirely encapsulates my position.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It’s a fairly useful poll for determining sentiment but the question is somewhat leading.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254
    Fourth like Boris
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Ishmael_Z said:

It will never be 'over'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. B2, you're fifth.

Although that does somewhat capture the essence of his last tilt at the leadership.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It will never be 'over'.
    Lots of things I want will never happen.
  • Options

Mr. B2, you're fifth.

Although that does somewhat capture the essence of his last tilt at the leadership.

Personally I disregard multiple postings. We see too much of that from young RobD.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Speaking of leading questions.
    https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1028294942450479105
    61,000 followers, FFS.
  • Options
    blueburnblueburn Posts: 14
    Brexit In Name Only does NOT honour the referendum result. It is just a total con and a subversion of that result.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1028294942450479105
    61,000 followers, FFS.

And another one of these twitter accounts who isn't who they say they are. Like the 90 year old war veteran account.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    IanB2 said:

Mr. B2, you're fifth.

Personally I disregard multiple postings. We see too much of that from young RobD.
    Typical LD maths :)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Tell that to the Remainiacs......for most voters if she genuinely ends freedom of movement I suspect it will be good enough whatever UKIP and UKIP-in-exile-on-the-Tory-benches say.....

Freedom of Movement is eminently fudgeable because regardless of rhetoric about taking back control, no-one seems to have any serious intention of limiting immigration, which is almost but not quite the same, so it is just a matter of finding a form of words around ending Freedom of Movement in name only (efomino will never catch on) and allowing doctors, IT workers and primary school chess champions to come, along with curry chefs, electricians and fruit pickers.
  • Options
    blueburn said:

Brexit In Name Only does NOT honour the referendum result. It is just a total con and a subversion of that result.

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

After BINO one of these sentences will be true:

"The United Kingdom has remained a member of the European Union".

"The United Kingdom has left the European Union".

Which one?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Anorak said:

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1028294942450479105
    61,000 followers, FFS.

Supports my notion that you can either have the vote, or a Twitter account - not both.
  • Options
    blueburn said:

Fickle lot, voters. Deliver BINO - and those same voters will rise up in anger with "What the f*ck do you call that?"
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Brexit means Brexit. BINO means Brexit so referendum will have been honoured.

One of the objectives of a government is to achieve economic stability - and the swivel eyed loons can be ignored. Nowhere in the referendum campaign were we offered a return to a 1950s version of North Korea - but that is where JRM wants us to go.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910

Anorak said:

61,000 followers, FFS.

And another one of these twitter accounts who isn't who they say they are. Like the 90 year old war veteran account.
    Corbyns account is clearly run by bag carriers and not JC himself.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

blueburn said:

Fickle lot, voters. Deliver BINO - and those same voters will rise up in anger with "What the f*ck do you call that?"
    It just needs Juncker to say we can't stay in the EU and the mob will be baying for diamond-hard Remain.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I can't really work out what 'just want it over with' really means. Would BINO really be so bad for now? It would remove the Article 50 guillotine from over our heads and we'd have time to work out a long term solution. Of course BINO won't be the end of anything but perhaps the end of the beginning nonetheless.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

blueburn said:

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

After BINO one of these sentences will be true:

"The United Kingdom has remained a member of the European Union".

"The United Kingdom has left the European Union".

Which one?
    Better than BINO is Irish unification. That way everyone's a winner: the UK will no longer be a member of the EU, and Great Britain will (still) be. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    edited August 2018
    blueburn said:

It is literally the case that leaving, even in name only, would honour the result in terms of what the actual question said. That is simply fact, since the question was just about leaving or remaining, not how. No amount of complaining makes more appear in the referendum question. That is not the important part of this issue. Honouring the expectations is.

Whether an in name only leave would satisfy the public on the other hand, is very much different, and that is where we get into what would satisfy the feeling behind the majority who voted leave. And it is there that perhaps in the short term, due to exhaustion, in name only could get through (though I doubt it) but would store up a lot of problems for the future - there are a great many who will understandably not be happy with it being in name only, it not being what was expected or promised.
  • Options

blueburn said:

It just needs Juncker to say we can't stay in the EU and the mob will be baying for diamond-hard Remain.
    No, they really wouldn't.

Although I wonder who in other EU capitals would be baying for Juncker's blood if he did....
  • Options
    blueburn said:

Agreed. We need a result that can be honoured. #PeoplesVote
  • Options

blueburn said:

#callitareferendumallreadynotsomestupidrebranding
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

61,000 followers, FFS.

Corbyns account is clearly run by bag carriers and not JC himself.
    Sure...but "famous" people, I think everybody knows this is the case (everybody knows the management of celebs etc have access to their accounts and organize promoted tweets etc).

That is slightly different to these accounts that make a big play on just being an ordinary member of the public, war hero or working mum into baking etc, when neither are.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    We'll get a soft Brexit and for a generation to come, at least, it will be one of those issues where some people want more and some people want less; the government of the day will just try to ensure there are roughly the same number on both sides.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    Agree with all the comments.

Leaving the EU whatever the flavour is leaving the EU.

Norway isn't a member of the EU for example.
  • Options
    Penddu said:

One of the objectives of a government is to achieve economic stability - and the swivel eyed loons can be ignored. Nowhere in the referendum campaign were we offered a return to a 1950s version of North Korea - but that is where JRM wants us to go.

That's madness. It would be up there with 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman.' Strictly speaking we will have left but amongst the 17m was there likely one person who thought 'I want to leave the EU in the symbolic sense but don't want anything to change.'
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

It’s a fairly useful poll for determining sentiment but the question is somewhat leading.

It's just as well you'd never give any credit to such polling.
  • Options

I can't really work out what 'just want it over with' really means. Would BINO really be so bad for now? It would remove the Article 50 guillotine from over our heads and we'd have time to work out a long term solution. Of course BINO won't be the end of anything but perhaps the end of the beginning nonetheless.

That's my general thinking, though admittedly I was fine with a softer leaving in the first place and many do not share that. But it is the end of the beginning not the end, and then every party can decide to say how much harder they would make it over time, or softer, or rejoin, or whatever. I don't think INO is the disaster some think it is given it is not end, and unless someone is indeed a no deal supporter (which is fine) a deal of some kind, even INO, that gets us time to work out longer term solutions seems ok to me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

blueburn said:

#CallitaRemainersWhinyWhinyVote......
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Strictly speaking we will have left but amongst the 17m was there likely one person who thought 'I want to leave the EU in the symbolic sense but don't want anything to change.'

That sums up the precise views of an awful lot of leavers.
  • Options

Penddu said:

That's madness. It would be up there with 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman.' Strictly speaking we will have left but amongst the 17m was there likely one person who thought 'I want to leave the EU in the symbolic sense but don't want anything to change.'
    They should have been paying attention to the question then.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

blueburn said:

It is literally the case that leaving, even in name only, would honour the result in terms of what the actual question said. That is simply fact, since the question was just about leaving or remaining, not how. No amount of complaining makes more appear in the referendum question. That is not the important part of this issue. Honouring the expectations is.

Whether an in name only leave would satisfy the public on the other hand, is very much different, and that is where we get into what would satisfy the feeling behind the majority who voted leave. And it is there that perhaps in the short term, due to exhaustion, in name only could get through (though I doubt it) but would store up a lot of problems for the future - there are a great many who will understandably not be happy with it being in name only, it not being what was expected or promised.
    Yes. Leaving in such a way that we are still making large payments to the EU, still subject to EU law, cannot make our own trade deals and have to treat EU citizens as if they were British, then we cannot really be said to have actually left in any meaningful way just because we no longer attend the meetings.

BINO is just another exercise in can kicking, having spent two years failing to adequately prepare while letting the EU side run the negotiations as they wish. As a minimum there needs to be a clear roadmap agreed whereby we diverge over time to minimise disruption.
  • Options

Penddu said:

Then we should have been asked a better question.
  • Options
    felix said:

It was a single short sentence but you seem to have been incapable of understanding it.
  • Options

Penddu said:

The statement is still true - even though it is the case that they do need something more than just INO even to start with I would think so that people can be satisfied at least of the direction of travel. It's why symbolic examples of leaving are no doubt being sought - the more there are, then even if in many ways it is INO, people may not get too upset that some areas have not changed yet.

We will find out how many will be happy with mostly symbolic and a few symbolic changes I guess. (Assuming we get that far)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

What was the question supposed to say?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

blueburn said:

Yes. Leaving in such a way that we are still making large payments to the EU, still subject to EU law, cannot make our own trade deals and have to treat EU citizens as if they were British, then we cannot really be said to have actually left in any meaningful way just because we no longer attend the meetings.

BINO is just another exercise in can kicking, having spent two years failing to adequately prepare while letting the EU side run the negotiations as they wish. As a minimum there needs to be a clear roadmap agreed whereby we diverge over time to minimise disruption.
    The problem with that view is that it really boils down to saying that it's not really leaving if the EU is still the economic and political hegemon in our own continent, but that's not something we have a choice over.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

The question was supposed to ask whether we wanted to leave the EU. And indeed it asked just that.

It didn't offer a range of leaving outcomes so we are all stuck with whatever the government can negotiate. Both EEA and No Deal would be Brexit and would honour the referendum result.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

Penddu said:

The statement is still true - even though it is the case that they do need something more than just INO even to start with I would think so that people can be satisfied at least of the direction of travel. It's why symbolic examples of leaving are no doubt being sought - the more there are, then even if in many ways it is INO, people may not get too upset that some areas have not changed yet.

We will find out how many will be happy with mostly symbolic and a few symbolic changes I guess. (Assuming we get that far)
    As I said on the last thread, our relationship with the EU and European countries is going to evolve over decades - whether that's in or out. There is no last word, there is no European Manifest Destiny or historical inevability. BINO is essentially meaningless, in that no government can bind its successor. The future is unknowable, sadly for some ;).
  • Options
    The can is kicked down the road. It shouldn't surprise us too much - it's what the Eurozone has been doing for 10 years - so not hard to believe our own establishment would get the bug. And we now have the time A50 didn't give us.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,966
    For the cricketers among us, would it be sensible to let Woakes get his ton, declare and let a fresh and bouncy Anderson, Broad and Curran have a go for an hour at a tired and dispirited India?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

It should have said: "It has been suggested that the UK leave the EU and do X. Alternatively, that we remain a member of the EU and do Y ('Y' being Cammo's deal). Do you want X or Y?"
  • Options
    edited August 2018

For the cricketers among us, would it be sensible to let Woakes get his ton, declare and let a fresh and bouncy Anderson, Broad and Curran have a go for an hour at a tired and dispirited India?

Yep! Let them both get the ton and have a go at the tourists with the ball tonight.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Afternoon all :)

It's a refrain we have heard time and again from people whose ignorance of the process is understandable if worrying. I met people during the Referendum campaign who genuinely believed we would be out at noon on June 24th 2016 if we voted LEAVE.

Had Cameron instigated A50 on the Friday morning after the Referendum, we would be out by now.

The truth is with the political, economic and legal complexities in place, we will still effectively be in the EU on December 31st 2020 so that will be four and a half years after the initial vote.

I am curious by this much-trumpeted (in the Mail so it must be true) notion we will be able to remain in the SM (which will please many) and still not sign up to full FoM. That seems to drive a coach and horses through the notion of the indivisibility of the Four Freedoms and of course if the UK wants it, why not Sweden, Italy, Spain or Germany?

The delinking of the free movement of capital from the free movement of labour is a huge move (if true) by the EU and I'm sceptical.

The quid pro quo for such an arrangement would kill any notion of "Global Britain" stone dead and clearly politics is at work - May knows she cannot sell any deal which maintains FoM but continued membership of the SM offers the smallest economic dislocation. It's obviously the deal she thinks can be sold to the British people - control (to be defined) over the borders but in most other respects a capitulation of Munich-style proportions to Barnier.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    That 60 percent don't, apparently, care what happens is loose. Looseness got us into this mess, but it won't get us out.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

It should have said: "It has been suggested that the UK leave the EU and do X. Alternatively, that we remain a member of the EU and do Y ('Y' being Cammo's deal). Do you want X or Y?"
    If we have to have referenda then I think it's best to keep it simple. It only goes to show the folly of a government holding a referendum on something they didn't believe in enacting. What I can't understand is that surely the Tory party will explode over this. I'm surprised the Tory remainers seem so comfortable on here.
  • Options
    Well done Chris Woakes. 100 at Lords.
  • Options

That’s an awesome innings from Woakes, richly deserves his name on the wall.
    Bairstow not far behind either.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited August 2018

One thing Mr Meeks has right is that the two non-negotiable parts of Brexit, as far as the public are concerned, are less immigrants coming into the country and less money going out of it. The Brexit elites can bore on about trade deals or the ECJ all they want, but they can't retrospectively change the terms that Brexit was fought and won on.

A suggestion which I think would satisfy a lot of Leave voters is only letting people move here if they have already secured a job here. My guess would be this would mean a significant cut in immigration numbers, especially at the lower end of the employment/"skills" market, since it will be hardly be worth it even advertising some of those jobs overseas in the first place. Whether the EU would be amenable to such a suggestion is a whole different question, of course.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

If we have to have referenda then I think it's best to keep it simple. It only goes to show the folly of a government holding a referendum on something they didn't believe in enacting. What I can't understand is that surely the Tory party will explode over this. I'm surprised the Tory remainers seem so comfortable on here.
    The pattern of elections suggest that both Tory remainers and Labour leavers are progressively reviewing their political preferences. Whether this will be a temporary or permanent realignment is a key question. Even in Parliament, the Tories have gone from a majority-remainer party to a Brexit party with a handful of diehards now on the fringe, in the space of two years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Interestingly even a plurality of Remainers by 48% to 47% want Brexit over and done with which suggests if the Chequers Deal compromise gets through only a minority of a few diehard Remainers will be pushing for a second EU referendum mainly through the vehicle of the LDs and only a few diehard Leavers will be pushing to go to WTO terms Brexit mainly through the vehicle of UKIP.

The rest of the electorate will have moved on, as will the Tory and Labour leaderships
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

S'pose we have to let Bairstow get his ton too.

Then let's have a go at India late in the day. They'll hate it!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

Given May's Tories have a 4% lead over Corbyn Labour in the latest Yougov even after the Chequers Deal plan why shouldn't Tory Remainers feel relatively comfortable? Indeed 58% of Tory Remain voters want Brexit over and done with on the Delta poll
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

It's a refrain we have heard time and again from people whose ignorance of the process is understandable if worrying. I met people during the Referendum campaign who genuinely believed we would be out at noon on June 24th 2016 if we voted LEAVE.

Had Cameron instigated A50 on the Friday morning after the Referendum, we would be out by now.

The truth is with the political, economic and legal complexities in place, we will still effectively be in the EU on December 31st 2020 so that will be four and a half years after the initial vote.

I am curious by this much-trumpeted (in the Mail so it must be true) notion we will be able to remain in the SM (which will please many) and still not sign up to full FoM. That seems to drive a coach and horses through the notion of the indivisibility of the Four Freedoms and of course if the UK wants it, why not Sweden, Italy, Spain or Germany?

The delinking of the free movement of capital from the free movement of labour is a huge move (if true) by the EU and I'm sceptical.

The quid pro quo for such an arrangement would kill any notion of "Global Britain" stone dead and clearly politics is at work - May knows she cannot sell any deal which maintains FoM but continued membership of the SM offers the smallest economic dislocation. It's obviously the deal she thinks can be sold to the British people - control (to be defined) over the borders but in most other respects a capitulation of Munich-style proportions to Barnier.

We will stay in the single market for goods under the EU plan but leave the single market for services as the price of our ending free movement
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

One thing Mr Meeks has right is that the two non-negotiable parts of Brexit, as far as the public are concerned, are less immigrants coming into the country and less money going out of it. The Brexit elites can bore on about trade deals or the ECJ all they want, but they can't retrospectively change the terms that Brexit was fought and won on.

A suggestion which I think would satisfy a lot of Leave voters is only letting people move here if they have already secured a job here. My guess would be this would mean a significant cut in immigration numbers, especially at the lower end of the employment/"skills" market, since it will be hardly be worth it even advertising some of those jobs overseas in the first place. Whether the EU would be amenable to such a suggestion is a whole different question, of course.
    Non-EU net migration increased substantially last year. Where’s all that coming from?
  • Options
    blueburnblueburn Posts: 14

blueburn said:

Ha ha ha....so....only hour results with which YOU agree!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

Amazingly the commentators are still talking about what India might do with the new ball. Watching from afar and with an eye on the weather forecast, it seems a no-brainier to declare now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Interestingly even a plurality of Remainers by 48% to 47% want Brexit over and done with which suggests if the Chequers Deal compromise gets through only a minority of a few diehard Remainers will be pushing for a second EU referendum mainly through the vehicle of the LDs and only a few diehard Leavers will be pushing to go to WTO terms Brexit mainly through the vehicle of UKIP.

The rest of the electorate will have moved on, as will the Tory and Labour leaderships

Turn it around and you'll see that among the people who do care "how and when" we leave the EU, Remainers vastly outnumber Leavers. Given that we can't get from here to there without things coming to a head politically, that puts Remainers in the driving seat.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

My thoughts exactly. Play goes on until 6.30, but tomorrow looks very dodgy!
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, unsure if you saw it earlier but there's a suggestion Alonso will announce his plans for the future on Tuesday. Some speculate he'll be sodding off to the WEC.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

We will stay in the single market for goods under the EU plan but leave the single market for services as the price of our ending free movement

Where would that leave passporting in financial services ?

• Options
    edited August 2018

Mr. Sandpit, unsure if you saw it earlier but there's a suggestion Alonso will announce his plans for the future on Tuesday. Some speculate he'll be sodding off to the WEC.

Interesting one. He’s in the WEC next year anyway, but it’s only a handful of race weekends. I’d have thought he’d be off to the States to try his luck in Indy, he’s got his eye on the prize of the 500.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Turn it around and you'll see that among the people who do care "how and when" we leave the EU, Remainers vastly outnumber Leavers. Given that we can't get from here to there without things coming to a head politically, that puts Remainers in the driving seat.
    No it does not as those Remainers do not want us to Leave the EU at all, Leavers all want us to Leave the EU even if they disagree on the post Brexit relationship.

May is slowly and cleverly killing the diehard Remainers much as she has killed the diehard hard Brexiteers. The fact even 42% of Labour Remain voters just want Brexit over with is astonishing and means a majority of Labour voters will in the end accept Brexit given almost a third of Labour voters voted Leave anyway.

Diehard Remainers and those who want to completely reverse Brexit and go back to the EU above all else can therefore eventually just be shoved in the LDs
  • Options
    Bairstow out. 93. Declaration time?
  • Options
    We jinxed Bairstow, caught behind for 93. :(
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Amazingly the commentators are still talking about what India might do with the new ball. Watching from afar and with an eye on the weather forecast, it seems a no-brainier to declare now.
    If India salvage a weather-aided draw, I shall be very cross!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Glenn,

"Given that we can't get from here to there without things coming to a head politically, that puts Remainers in the driving seat."

You're obviously a glass a sixth full kind of fellow.

The majority want it to be over, not dragged out until your fingernails are finally prised from the rotting corpse of your believed EU.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

To be worked on and likely regulation compliant but most Leave voters do not work in financial services and will not be bothered either way
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

Given May's Tories have a 4% lead over Corbyn Labour in the latest Yougov even after the Chequers Deal plan why shouldn't Tory Remainers feel relatively comfortable? Indeed 58% of Tory Remain voters want Brexit over and done with on the Delta poll
    About 40% of Tory voters supported Remain in the referendum. Yet the proportion of voters currently intending to vote Tory who supported Remain (or say that they did) in 2016 has fallen to little more than 25%. So Tory remainers, like Labour leavers, are diminishing brands.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it does not as those Remainers do not want us to Leave the EU at all, Leavers all want us to Leave the EU even if they disagree on the post Brexit relationship.

May is slowly and cleverly killing the diehard Remainers much as she has killed the diehard hard Brexiteers. The fact even 42% of Labour Remain voters just want Brexit over with is astonishing and means a majority of Labour voters will in the end accept Brexit given almost a third of Labour voters voted Leave anyway.

Diehard Remainers and those who want to completely reverse Brexit and go back to the EU can therefore eventually just be shoved in the LDs
    You're reading something into it that isn't there. This is one leading question where the answer "I want it over" could equally be given by people who want to stop Brexit via a second referendum. In the context of other polls, it's clear that the so-called "Releavers" of 2017 are no longer a factor and opposition to Brexit is growing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

About 40% of Tory voters supported Remain in the referendum. Yet the proportion of voters currently intending to vote Tory who supported Remain (or say that they did) in 2016 has fallen to little more than 25%. So Tory remainers, like Labour leavers, are diminishing brands.
    Though there are now more Tory Remainers as a percentage than in 2017 and more Labour Leavers as a percentage with Yougov as some Tory Leavers have gone to UKIP and some Labour Remainers have gone to the LDs and the Tories
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers and those who want to completely reverse Brexit and go back to the EU can therefore eventually just be shoved in the LDs
    You're reading something into it that isn't there. This is one leading question where the answer "I want it over" could equally be given by people who want to stop Brexit via a second referendum. In the context of other polls, it's clear that the so-called "Releavers" of 2017 are no longer a factor and opposition to Brexit is growing.
    No as you would care how and when we left the EU mainly if you wanted to delay it or stop it altogether.

Provided the Chequers Deal gets through opposition to Brexit will come from a few fanatics like you in the LDs who instead of transpotting have as their main hobby getting the UK into a Federal EU
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

Though there are now more Tory Remainers as a percentage than in 2017 and more Labour Leavers as a percentage with Yougov as some Tory Leavers have gone to UKIP and some Labour Remainers have gone to the LDs and the Tories
    Wrong again. Current Labour voters are more Remainy than they were in 2017 according to YouGov. Most recent polls show this is the case for all three main parties although in the latest there is an anomaly in the Tory figures.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    It's a very interesting question, but problematic because it conflates two quite different types of people:

1. People who want Brexit at all costs, no matter what the deal or no deal might be.
    2. People who are bored by the whole issue and just want to it done with.

An interesting further question would be the same wordimg, but with "how or when" replaced by "whether". That would separate out group 2.
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129
    So my theory is that Brexit is a re-run of the book of Exodus.

The Israelites are sick of being bossed around by the Egyptians. Then Moses comes to them with a plan to leave Egypt, which he’s got from a burning bush. Or perhaps it’s a burning bus, with a large monetary figure written on the side. Whatever.

Moses tells them it’s all going to be great, they’re going to be going to a land flowing with milk and honey, so they set off across the desert. Eventually they turn up in the promised land, which turns out to be yet another rather scrubby piece of desert, and Moses tells them that he’s just going off to negotiate terms for them. Off he goes for forty days and nights, and while he’s gone, the Israelites get very excited about all the new deals they’ll be able to do in future, and make themselves an effigy of a golden calf (probably they expected a bull market).

Eventually, Moses returns and tells them they’re going to have to get rid of the golden calf. He’s got a deal, of a sort, but actually, it’s all a set of rules about things they’re not allowed to do, and, by the way, they’re not allowed to question the rules either.

Still, at least they got away from those bloody foreigners bossing them around, didn’t they?

Ah well, at least the cricket's going OK.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Looks like the England dressing room are finally giving it some thought, if the light doesn’t do for them first.
    1.33 Eng
    4.2 Draw
    120(!) Ind
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182

It's a very interesting question, but problematic because it conflates two quite different types of people:

1. People who want Brexit at all costs, no matter what the deal or no deal might be.

An interesting further question would be the same wordimg, but with "how or when" replaced by "whether". That would separate out group 2.

Group 2 aren't gonna get what they want. Europe and all the consequences of either leaving or not leaving properly or rejoining etc etc will be a massive issue for years.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    That's quite a PB (almost) debut, DayTripper.
  • Options
    Mr. Tripper, the Jews did leave the dominion of Egypt, to be fair.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

It was a single short sentence but you seem to have been incapable of understanding it.
    Ever the charmer - insults really do not add to anyone's understanding of anything.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

The Israelites are sick of being bossed around by the Egyptians. Then Moses comes to them with a plan to leave Egypt, which he’s got from a burning bush. Or perhaps it’s a burning bus, with a large monetary figure written on the side. Whatever.

Moses tells them it’s all going to be great, they’re going to be going to a land flowing with milk and honey, so they set off across the desert. Eventually they turn up in the promised land, which turns out to be yet another rather scrubby piece of desert, and Moses tells them that he’s just going off to negotiate terms for them. Off he goes for forty days and nights, and while he’s gone, the Israelites get very excited about all the new deals they’ll be able to do in future, and make themselves an effigy of a golden calf (probably they expected a bull market).

Eventually, Moses returns and tells them they’re going to have to get rid of the golden calf. He’s got a deal, of a sort, but actually, it’s all a set of rules about things they’re not allowed to do, and, by the way, they’re not allowed to question the rules either.

Still, at least they got away from those bloody foreigners bossing them around, didn’t they?

Very good. PB could do with some more humour on the subject at times. :+1:

Off for bad light now though, we should really have declared when Bairstow got out.
  • Options

Does it matter whether people are in groups 1 or 2?

Assuming a deal is reached (which it almost definitely will) then groups 1 and 2 are basically the same: Let's just get on with it and talk about something else for a while.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

One of the objectives of a gover wants us to go.

That's madness. It would be up there with 'I did not haveything to change.'
    Though there are now more Tory RemTories
    Wrong again. Current Labour voters are more Remainy than they were in 2017 according to YouGov. Most recent polls show this is the case for all three main parties although in the latest there is an anomaly in the Tory figures.

That poll has the same wrong to Leave percentage in 2017 Tories as now and the Labour right to Leave percentage virtually unchanged on around 20%. Considering Wrong to Leave is 3% ahead (not significant admittedly but still ahead) ie a 7% move to Remain since 2016 ( though based on the wrong final Yougov EU referendum poll no move to Remain at all) all the main movement has come in the LDs where wrong to Leave is 9% up on what it was in 2017 while in Labour and the Tories the move is below the national average.

That confirms diehard Remainers are already starting to congregate in the LDs as the main focal point of opposition to Brexit
  • Options
    edited August 2018

An early entry for what should be a PB convoluted-analogy-for-Brexit competition? Certainly a step up from the usual leaving-the-golf-club and getting divorced stuff we normally get.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Looks like the England dressing room are finally giving it some thought, if the light doesn’t do for them first.
    1.33 Eng
    4.2 Draw
    120(!) Ind
    Those odds look mad for the match position. Is Noah arriving ?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Ever the charmer - insults really do not add to anyone's understanding of anything.
    If you’re going to be snide it’s best not to be demonstrably wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    kle4 said:

blueburn said:

Don't you have an excess 'l' in there?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2018

DIdnt work out too well for the Egyptians either - they played hardball on the negotiations to leave and lost their first born sons and were hit by plagues of locusts and famine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

Brexit means Brexit.

That poll has the same wrong to Leave percentage in 2017 Tories as now and the Labour right to Leave percentage virtually unchanged on around 20%. Considering Wrong to Leave is 3% ahead (not significant admittedly but still ahead) ie a 7% move to Remain since 2016 ( though based on the wrong final Yougov EU referendum no move to Remain at all) all the main movement has come in the LDs where wrong to Leave is 9% up on what it was in 2017 while in Labour and the Tories the move is below the national average.

That confirms diehard Remainers are already starting to congregate in the LDs as the main focal point of opposition to Brexit
    The key point here is not the right/wrong question but the composition of current party support by recalled 2016 referendum vote. On that basis Tory voters have become considerably less Remain and Labour considerably less leave. Some of this will be people mid-remembering how they voted given the views of their now milieu - failing to remember how you voted last time is much more common that you'd think - but most of it will be remainers drifting away from Tory supporting and leavers from Labour.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

That's quite a PB (almost) debut, DayTripper.

A shame s/he is only visiting?
  • Options

Penddu said:

There were lots of people who campaigned for Brexit to EEA/EFTA - including Richard Tyndall and me on this board.

But Chequers, or some variant on that, is a lot less 'BINO' than EFTA/EEA - as it ends FoM and does not include the Single Market in Services. It is, in other words, Switzerland Minus.

Whatever I campaigned for before the referendum, I now believe that it is important that FoM is ended in order to honour result. I have no issue with it being relatively seamless for people with guaranteed jobs from the EU to come over here and work, but I do think long 'fishing' excercises and/or welfare shopping should be ended.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No as you would care how and when we left the EU mainly if you wanted to delay it or stop it altogether.

Provided the Chequers Deal gets through opposition to Brexit will come from a few fanatics like you in the LDs who instead of transpotting have as their main hobby getting the UK into a Federal EU

At the moment you are clinging to the Chequers Deal and an unsubstantiated report in the Daily Mail like a shipwrecked man to a life raft.

The Chequers Deal has already been amended under pressure from the ERG and has cost two Cabinet Ministers so if the EU throw it out completely it's a one-way journey to No Deal exit next March.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Penddu said:

Brexit means Brexit.

Given May's Tories have a 4% lead over Corbyn Labour in the latest Yelta poll
    Wrong again. Current Labo3R.png>
    That poll has the same wrong to Leave percentage in 2017 Tories as now and this 9% up on what it was in 2017 while in Labour and the Tories the move is below exit
    The key point here is not the right/wrong question but the composition of current party support by recalled 2016 referendum vote. On that basis Tory voters have become considerably less Remain and Labour considerably less leave. Some of this will be people mid-remembering how they voted given the views of their now milieu - failing to remember how you voted last time is much more common that you'd think - but most of it will be remainers drifting away from Tory supporting and leavers from Labour.
    According to Yougov 61% of 2015 Tory voters voted Leave in 2016, 65% of 2015 Labour voters voted Remain in 2016 and 68% of 2015 LD voters voted Remain in 2016.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

So with 72% of Tories now saying we were right to Leave ie 11% up on 2016 you are certainly correct to say the Tories have become more pro Leave since the EU referendum.

Given 81% of LDs now say we were wrong to Leave ie 13% up on 2016 you can also say the LDs have become significantly even more pro Remain since 2016.

However 73% of Labour voters now say we were wrong to Leave ie just 8% up on the number who voted Remain in 2016, so the least movement post referendum to either Leave or Remain has come in Labour
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

There were lots of people who campaigned for Brexit to EEA/EFTA - including Richard Tyndall and me on this board.

But Chequers, or some variant on that, is a lot less 'BINO' than EFTA/EEA - as it ends FoM and does not include the Single Market in Services. It is, in other words, Switzerland Minus.

Whatever I campaigned for before the referendum, I now believe that it is important that FoM is ended in order to honour result. I have no issue with it being relatively seamless for people with guaranteed jobs from the EU to come over here and work, but I do think long 'fishing' excercises and/or welfare shopping should be ended.
    The amount of welfare shopping by EU migrants is minimal, despite what the tabloids would have us think. Certainly, a lot of migrants do low paid jobs and their income is supplemented by tax credits (in roughly the same proportion as for the UK workforce as a whole), but that will continue for those with jobs in the future.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

At the moment you are clinging to the Chequers Deal and an unsubstantiated report in the Daily Mail like a shipwrecked man to a life raft.

The Chequers Deal has already been amended under pressure from the ERG and has cost two Cabinet Ministers so if the EU throw it out completely it's a one-way journey to No Deal exit next March.
    Except it is now clear the EU are not going to throw Chequers out, they may amend it a bit but will deal with it, the fact May has lost Boris and Davis and annoyed hard Brexiteers has shown the EU she has made the concessions they wanted to move forward
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

There would be no "passporting". However, there would almost certainly be "equivalence". So, while you would need a (properly capitalised) EEA domiciled entity to do business, individuals FSA registration will qualify them to do business.

It's a half way house that screws over small fund managers like my old firm (in that we had big French and Norwegian retail businesses, but no EEA domiciled entity), but keeps the big boys largely in London.
This discussion has been closed.