Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on will there be a Tory leadership contest in 2018

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on will there be a Tory leadership contest in 2018

Paddy Power’s market on whether there will be a Tory leadership contest in 2018 intrigues me. I’ve confirmed with them the precise terms of this bet. A vote of no confidence being called will not be enough, what needs to happen is for either Mrs May to lose a vote of confidence or resign and the Chairman of the 1922 committee to start accepting nominations for Mrs May’s successor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    edited August 2018
    This won't be first - it will be edited by TSE so he can be first.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited August 2018
    Second!

We can tell TSE is back from the dodgy 1980s pop music references :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Douglas!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Agree with the lead. By accident or design Mrs M always seems to make the best out of a bad lot with Bojo.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    It turns out we are now a country where both major parties are locked in sustained, self-started fights with minority communities. That feels ominous. We are still only in the phoney war of Brexit, after all – the period where the questions are all about who benefits...If much of history is any guide, we might reasonably fear that once the realities kick in, another phase will follow the period of asking who benefits. And that will be the period where people decide who gets blamed.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/10/antisemitism-islamophobia-brexit-boris-johnson-muslim-women-ominous

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Whilst I agree there's unlikely to be a contest this year, those odds aren't long enough to appeal.

Mr. B2, the suggestion there's a symmetry there is far overblown. When Boris describes terrorists who deny an Islamic nation's right to exist as friends, and starts (allegedly) laying wreaths and praying at the shrine of murderers who deliberately targeted Muslims, then the comparison between him and others would be apt.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,666
    IanB2 said:

Agree with the lead. By accident or design Mrs M always seems to make the best out of a bad lot with Bojo.

It was called 'giving him enough rope' - and he duly obliged. David Davis, for all his faults, tried, but Boris took Cameronian 'winging it' to the ultimate degree - at least 'essay crisis' Cameron got his essays done.....
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited August 2018
    I see my comment about who commissioned the survey about the EU reported in the Guardian has been deleted. I don't know why. The first thing I look at when a poll/survey has been published is to see who has commissioned it and if they have an agenda.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I see my comment about who commissioned the survey about the EU reported in the Guardian has been deleted. I don't know why. The first thing I look at when a poll/survey has been published is to see who has commissioned it and if they have an agenda.

The most popular comment on that article:

There is a new Wil of the People to Remain. Brexit is being shown for what it is, a right wing British coup. Nothing us working, the Tories are at civil war, Brexit is a crime against what was a not so bad nation. That is no more. The gates of hell and all its demons have been unleashed and the electorate can see this. I hope that Brexit will fail and democracy restored, with if course the criminals sanctioned. The right of a democracy is to change its mind. The UK has changed its mind so let's put that to a vote.

Well, the next vote scheduled is the General Election in 2022 - where we can indeed gauge to what extent 'the UK has changed its mind'.

And a direct quote from the article:

The study was jointly commissioned by Best for Britain, which is campaigning against Brexit, and the anti-racist Hope Not Hate group.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/11/more-than-100-pro-leave-constituencies-switch-to-remain
  • Options
    The incoming editor of the Daily Mail has indicated that he will only gradually tone down the strident pro-Brexit agenda espoused by his predecessor when he takes the helm at the powerful rightwing tabloid at the beginning of next month.

Geordie Greig has told staff not to expect an immediate change in political coverage when he takes the reins from Paul Dacre, who spent 26 years in charge, for fear of alienating readers and because the wider political situation is so uncertain. Instead the focus will be on ensuring that the country achieves the least damaging form of Brexit and developing a more nuanced editorial line by next spring, a shift in emphasis that will be welcomed in Downing Street, where Theresa May is battling to control a revolt from the right of her party.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/11/new-daily-mail-editor-will-strike-tolerant-brexit-note
  • Options
    Miss Vance, sounds like boiling a frog.
  • Options
    F1: just check the Red Bull seat odds. Sainz has come in a bit, now 4.33. Gasly still clear favourite, though.

With a possible Alonso announcement (WEC? Indy?) on Tuesday, that might take him out of the running.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984

I learned that lesson many, many years ago when I read a report somewhere which said that ‘a survey had found' that employers preferred to employ young men who had worked in small groups.

And I found that the survey had been commissioned by the Scout Association!
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    "As Mike observed the other day the prospect of Boris Johnson, the worst Foreign Secretary since Lord Halifax," Aren't you forgetting David Owen?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Icarus said:

"As Mike observed the other day the prospect of Boris Johnson, the worst Foreign Secretary since Lord Halifax," Aren't you forgetting David Owen?

David Miliband? Who can forget his tour of India...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Charles said:

Icarus said:

Boris trumps them all. Uniquely poor foreign secretary.
  • Options

I learned that lesson many, many years ago when I read a report somewhere which said that ‘a survey had found' that employers preferred to employ young men who had worked in small groups.

Obligatory “Yes, Prime Minister”
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=5xC2bNpXdAo
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Charles said:

Icarus said:

Who was the worst Foreign Secretary before Lord Halifax?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Boris achieved a rapid worldwide co-ordinated response to Russia over the Salisbury poisonings. He gets credit for that.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’m saving my money for other bets. You can get longer odds on Brexit taking place by 29 March next year and that feels like better value.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

Good morning, everyone.

Whilst I agree there's unlikely to be a contest this year, those odds aren't long enough to appeal.

Mr. B2, the suggestion there's a symmetry there is far overblown. When Boris describes terrorists who deny an Islamic nation's right to exist as friends, and starts (allegedly) laying wreaths and praying at the shrine of murderers who deliberately targeted Muslims, then the comparison between him and others would be apt.

Boris's comments are a slur on people in GB, at least some of whom are likely to be UK citizens. Corbyn is merely unsympathetic to a foreign state, but he is also critical of other states in the Middle East, such as the criminal Saudi regime responsible for many atrocities in Yemen and elsewhere, such as the 9/11 attacks. By contrast, the current British government is fawning in its approach to such vile states as Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.
  • Options

Boris achieved a rapid worldwide co-ordinated response to Russia over the Salisbury poisonings. He gets credit for that.

That was May.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That was May.
    Boris Johnson was so concerned about the Salisbury attack that he ducked out of a COBRA meeting about it so that he could pose for photos of him resigning from government.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Obligatory “Yes, Prime Minister”
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=5xC2bNpXdAo
    Thanks for that!
  • Options
    Mr. Daodao, it's ridiculous that there's been a greater media/political backlash against Boris knowingly mocking the niqab/burqa than there was about taking work away from women because it wasn't deemed PC enough, or banning the image of a healthy woman in a bikini from Tube ads.

Puritanism was bullshit in the 17th century and it's bullshit today, even if it is fashionable amongst right-on hipsters and religious zealots.

As for Corbyn, he believed the Russian state over the British state (and international consensus) on the use of chemical weapons in Salisbury, seemingly joined in prayer at a terrorist grave out of 'respect' [he didn't do that at the first memorial service as Leader of the Opposition he attended], has questioned the use of drones to kill terrorists, and has been filmed suggesting that media bias can be indicated by the belief Israel has a right to exist.

https://twitter.com/luketress/status/1027149541504675840

Boris is a clown, unfit to be in the Cabinet. Corbyn is worse by an order of magnitude.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

That was May.
    Boris Johnson was so concerned about the Salisbury attack that he ducked out of a COBRA meeting about it so that he could pose for photos of him resigning from government.
    Well quite. What’s interesting is that there has been a noticeable shift in tone from Tories on here. A few weeks back one or two posters were prepared to say something nice about Johnson. There are noticeably more now.

I think they’re getting ready.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, indeed. I didn't need any persuasion, but that action of Boris absolutely confirmed my conviction he is unworthy of high office.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.
    Well quite. What’s interesting is that there has been a noticeable shift in tone from Tories on here. A few weeks back one or two posters were prepared to say something nice about Johnson. There are noticeably more now.

My thread header earlier this week explains all. In a world where the only thing that matters is Brexit, all other failings can be overlooked if the candidate is otherwise reliable on that subject. Boris Johnson has made himself the monomaniacs’ poster boy.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

My thread header earlier this week explains all. In a world where the only thing that matters is Brexit, all other failings can be overlooked if the candidate is otherwise reliable on that subject. Boris Johnson has made himself the monomaniacs’ poster boy.
    there are much more important things than Brexit, grow up

• Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

That would be one view. In a world where a majority of your fellow Brexiters see the loss of Northern Ireland and Scotland as a price worth paying for Brexit, where they would accept the loss of their own or family members’ jobs to secure Brexit, it is a minority view among your brothers in arms.
  • Options
    strstr Posts: 9
    `a no deal - would likely see carnage on the financial markets`..... quite a lot of prominent hard brexiteers worked in the City JRM,Farage,Lawson,Redwood etc and I assume that they will be looking to make a killing buying stocks when they are oversold in ` the carnage`
  • Options
    Greens (15%) overtake AfD (14% ) in latest german poll. Merkel drops down a notch (30%) , SPD (18%) going nowhere.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article180998720/Forsa-Umfrage-Gruene-ueberholen-AfD-Unionsparteien-rutschen-ab.html

Basically Germany is becoming ungovernable. The Greens might well overtake the SPD as theyre on a roll. Elements of Merkels party are now calling for the former communists ( Die Linke ) to be partners in government. When the CDU has reached that point you have to ask what do they stand for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    From some reports this morning it looks like some Brexiteer Tories will try and force a vote of no confidence in May and replace her with Davis in the interim to complete the negotiation of Brexit with Boris Johnson taking over before the next general election.

It sounds too clever by half and with the polling OK for May and the EU moving towards agreeing a variant of the Chequers Deal, she should survive any no confidence vote
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Charles said:

Icarus said:

Neither of these Davids were as awful as Halifax, who was, let us not forget, arguing to sue for peace (and inevitable vassal status) with Nazi Germany.

Have a read of C. J. Sansom's excellent novel Dominion for a plausible view of how that might have turned out.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

Indeed. The whole thing has been a massive waste of time.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

David Owen was one of the best Foreign Secretaries and I say that as a Tory. He, Douglas Hurd and Robin Cook were the best Foreign Secretaries of the last 50 years
  • Options

The most popular comment on that article:

There is a new Wil of the People to Remain. Brexit is being shown for what it is, a right wing British coup. Nothing us working, the Tories are at civil war, Brexit is a crime against what was a not so bad nation. That is no more. The gates of hell and all its demons have been unleashed and the electorate can see this. I hope that Brexit will fail and democracy restored, with if course the criminals sanctioned. The right of a democracy is to change its mind. The UK has changed its mind so let's put that to a vote.

Well, the next vote scheduled is the General Election in 2022 - where we can indeed gauge to what extent 'the UK has changed its mind'.

And a direct quote from the article:

The study was jointly commissioned by Best for Britain, which is campaigning against Brexit, and the anti-racist Hope Not Hate group.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/11/more-than-100-pro-leave-constituencies-switch-to-remain
    A fair number of comments also dismissive of this poll on the basis it was commissioned by anti Brexit bodies and the overall result was little different to the final pre EU referendum polls before Leave won
  • Options

Greens (15%) overtake AfD (14% ) in latest german poll. Merkel drops down a notch (30%) , SPD (18%) going nowhere.

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article180998720/Forsa-Umfrage-Gruene-ueberholen-AfD-Unionsparteien-rutschen-ab.html

Basically Germany is becoming ungovernable. The Greens might well overtake the SPD as theyre on a roll. Elements of Merkels party are now calling for the former communists ( Die Linke ) to be partners in government. When the CDU has reached that point you have to ask what do they stand for.

"Basically Germany is becoming ungovernable."

Hyperbole alert! :wink:
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

That would be one view. In a world where a majority of your fellow Brexiters see the loss of Northern Ireland and Scotland as a price worth paying for Brexit, where they would accept the loss of their own or family members’ jobs to secure Brexit, it is a minority view among your brothers in arms.
    well having grown up in NI ive been called just about everything over the years from Billy the Bigot to Brendan the Bomber, it;s all ultimatrely meaningless. People have their opinions and often change them. The more important thing imo is for the UK to decide what it wants to be be post Brexit and there's currently little sign that our decision makers of whayever hue are up to the job.We sinply ,live in an age where the people in power are weak and ineffecyive and wehave to hang in there until some better ones come along, as at some point they will.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

well having grown up in NI ive been called just about everything over the years from Billy the Bigot to Brendan the Bomber, it;s all ultimatrely meaningless. People have their opinions and often change them. The more important thing imo is for the UK to decide what it wants to be be post Brexit and there's currently little sign that our decision makers of whayever hue are up to the job.We sinply ,live in an age where the people in power are weak and ineffecyive and wehave to hang in there until some better ones come along, as at some point they will.
    New keyboard required Alan? :wink:
  • Options

"Basically Germany is becoming ungovernable."

Hyperbole alert! :wink:
    werll lest see your scenario

We have had a new German government for almost a year. In that year it has spent 6 months trying to put together a coalition and then the next 6 months trying to keep the mishmash together.

a left wing government wont work SPD+Green +Linke = 40%
    a right wing one isnt possible either CDU+FDP = 40%

too many parties cant or wont work with each other. So give me your government.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

New keyboard required Alan? :wink:
    current one's fine thanks :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    There should have been one, but what a farce.

More Tory leadership briefings....

Secret plot to oust Theresa May in Brexiteer putsch and install David Davis as 'interim' PM with Boris Johnson urged to delay his leadership bid until after Brexit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/brexit/article-6051043/Plot-oust-Theresa-David-Davis-interim-PM-Boris-Johnson-urged-delay-bid.html

Secret plot?! We've been hearing about it in one form or another for literally a year!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

As the FDP is on 10%, CDU/CSU + FDP are on 40% combined which is more than the SPD plus Greens combined on 33% combined.

As Die Linke is on 9% though SPD + Greens + Linke are on 42% combined which is more than the 40% for CDU/CSU + FDP combined.

CDU + SPD combined though are on 48% so the current Grand Coalition beats all combinations bar CDU + AfD + FDP on 54% combined but Merkel has made clear that is an unacceptable option for her
  • Options
    Penddu said:

This won't be first - it will be edited by TSE so he can be first.

Outrageous!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Funnily enough, I was thinking about this bet only last night.

You can get better than evens on May's exit to happen after Brexit as well, which means she only has to survive in office as PM to 30th March (or later) -presuming there is no extension of A50 - to pay out.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

The only viable Brexit outcome is where we do what the EU tells us, no longer have any say in the rules that bind us and get less out of it than before, but otherwise is similar. Politicians who talked about talking back control, more money for the NHS, new trading opportunities and stopping immigration aren't rushing to take ownership.
  • Options

Sir John:

https:/056

I presume the twitterati will get just as excited in 5 years time once a settlement has been established, polling asks if we would like to rejoin, and then the mail and telegraph can run a similar article on how 200 constituencies have swung from Remain to Stay Out?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As the FDP is on 10%, CDU/CSU + FDP are on 40% combined which is more than the SPD plus Greens combined on 33% combined.

As Die Linke is on 9% though SPD + Greens + Linke are on 42% combined which is more than the 40% for CDU/CSU + FDP combined.

CDU + SPD combined though are on 48% so the current Grand Coalition beats all combinations bar CDU + AfD + FDP on 54% combined but Merkel has made clear that is an unacceptable option for her
    asI said it's a cant or a wont.

until either Die Linke or the AfD become detoxed no government is possible except the current disfunctional coalition which threatens to dissolve every other month.

german elections have to take place every 4 years and the first one has gone with party bickering.

• Options
    It is based on a 53% Remain 47% Leave national poll figure.

The final Yougov EU referendum poll was Remain 48% and Leave 52%. Leave won 52% to 48% for Remain.

On the same margin of error Leave would be ahead 51% to 49% for Remain even on this poll
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

Or perhaps we think he's shown himself to be unfit for high office?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

The only viable Brexit outcome is where we do what the EU tells us, no longer have any say in the rules that bind us and get less out of it than before, but otherwise is similar. Politicians who talked about talking back control, more money for the NHS, new trading opportunities and stopping immigration aren't rushing to take ownership.
    that was the DeValera argument in 1922. Another thing he got wrong.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There should have been one, but what a farce.

More Tory leadership briefings....

Secret plot to oust Theresa May in Brexiteer putsch and install David Davis as 'interim' PM with Boris Johnson urged to delay his leadership bid until after Brexit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/brexit/article-6051043/Plot-oust-Theresa-David-Davis-interim-PM-Boris-Johnson-urged-delay-bid.html

Secret plot?! We've been hearing about it in one form or another for literally a year!
    So secret it’s on the front page of the Mail on Sunday!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

Despite his shamelessness and his explanation for his quitting being lamer than Davis, and despite him being far from trustworthy in terms of sticking to a hArd brexit position given his regular tergiversations, he really does look very likely to win if a challenge happens unfortunately. He's already the main one people are talking about, he is good at that. I hope someone else can appeal to the,membership who has more quality.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    FPT @viewcode the models are a classic example of garbage in, garbage out.

I suspect Yougov collects enough information (from enough polls) about people that they can accurately validate predict how close any member is to their expected profile and hence know who to target within their members for their poll results.
    Ashcroft simply doesn't have the information available to validate how representative the people he polled are...
  • Options
    Han Dodges:

Whisper it. Especially if you’re in the vicinity of Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson, (unless, in the latter case, you are safely disguised as part of the postal system or Ronnie Biggs). But Theresa May’s Chequers strategy is starting to work.

As ever, this does not fit the popular Westminster narrative. We are meant to believe Mrs May’s premiership is imploding in an orgy of Tory in-fighting, as an enraged nation reacts in fury to her heinous Brexit betrayal. That her grand-design lies in ruins, rejected out of hand by the callous and conniving EU bureaucrats.

But once again, British politics is refusing to follow the script. The British people are proving stubbornly independent. And there are even signs the member states of the EU are finally realising that if they want to avoid a cliff-edge, no-deal, UK departure, they are going to have to start to respond to the PM’s pragmatism with some hard-headed realism of their own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6051417/DAN-HODGES-Theresa-broken-wicked-Brexit-witches-spell.html
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Han Dodges:

Wait, I thought he shot first?

*gets coat*
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It is based on a 53% Remain 47% Leave national poll figure.

The final Yougov EU referendum poll was Remain 48% and Leave 52%. Leave won 52% to 48% for Remain.

On the same margin of error Leave would be ahead 51% to 49% for Remain even on this poll
    Yep. Hence Sir John's caveat analysis based on 5% national swing.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

From some reports this morning it looks like some Brexiteer Tories will try and force a vote of no confidence in May and replace her with Davis in the interim to complete the negotiation of Brexit with Boris Johnson taking over before the next general election.

It sounds too clever by half and with the polling OK for May and the EU moving towards agreeing a variant of the Chequers Deal, she should survive any no confidence vote

Nevertheless, it woukd be the right move and a cathartic one. Either they are pointless whingers who won't act to stop a revised Chequers deal despite saying it's terrible, or they are principled enough to bring down the government over this. Or they can try to unseat May, and if they fail they can let Chequers through as the party has spoken and they did at least attempt to change direction.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

Nevertheless my point stands.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

until either Die Linke or the AfD become detoxed no government is possible except the current disfunctional coalition which threatens to dissolve every other month.

german elections have to take place every 4 years and the first one has gone with party bickering.

Yes at the moment German elections are largely pointless bar determining whether the leader of the CDU or SPD becomes Chancellor, the CDU or SPD will both always be part of the government with all other parties excluded and forced into opposition
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Add May to be leader on April 1st 2019 @ Evens to your betslip whilst you're there too.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    The Brexiteers are in a bind. They don't want to do anything to disrupt the Brexit process that May is still committed to but they don't trust May to negotiate a deal which is in the UK's interest as they perceive it. So do they challenge her or not?

I think it is clear that the answer is no. This might be because they don't think that they can in fact defeat her and don't want to secure her position for a year or they might genuinely think that the negotiations have been enough of a farce already without a leadership election being added to May's idiotic general election. No doubt there is a bit of both.

If that conclusion is correct then this bet is something of a no brainer. I happen to believe it is but the odds are not that exciting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Brexiteers are in a bind. They don't want to do anything to disrupt the Brexit process that May is still committed to but they don't trust May to negotiate a deal which is in the UK's interest as they perceive it. So do they challenge her or not?

I think it is clear that the answer is no. This might be because they don't think that they can in fact defeat her and don't want to secure her position for a year or they might genuinely think that the negotiations have been enough of a farce already without a leadership election being added to May's idiotic general election. No doubt there is a bit of both.

If that conclusion is correct then this bet is something of a no brainer. I happen to believe it is but the odds are not that exciting.

I'm of the view Brexit is even less likely if May is replaced by a Brexiteer, whereas it is currently very likely.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

That was May.

well having grown up in NI ive beenme better ones come along, as at some point they will.
    really it doesnt

too many people are fixated on a particular point in time. The world is much more complex and the biggest thing noone can factor in is "events". Whatever the final deal is, it is only the starting point for a new relationship with the EU. Time, events and new players on the scene will simply mean it will be different than any of the TINA options being pushed on PB.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As the FDP is on 10%, CDU/CSU + FDP are on 40% combined whis made clear that is an unacceptable option for her

Yes at the moment German elections are largely pointless bar determining whether the leader of the CDU or SPD becomes Chancellor, the CDU or SPD will both always be part of the government with all other parties excluded and forced into opposition
    The thing which can most change the scene is Merkels stepping down. At the moment shes is probably the largest impediment to a working government.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Supermarket giants have warned the Treasury that a no-deal Brexit would force up the price of the average weekly food basket by as much as 12%.

Senior executives from some of the big four supermarkets made the alarming prediction in briefings to the Treasury on the impact on food prices of a no-deal Brexit.

The biggest tariffs on imports from the EU could include cheese, up by 44%, beef, up by 40%, and chicken, up 22%.

The warnings, which the Treasury is taking seriously, come as it is revealed that Britain’s monetary chiefs have ploughed the country’s foreign currency reserves into euros since the Brexit referendum, in what some are claiming is a vote of confidence in the stability of the single currency.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/supermarkets-on-brexit-no-deal-will-hike-food-bills-by-12-m7cbfb257
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Supermarket giants have warned the Treasury that a no-deal Brexit would force up the price of the average weekly food basket by as much as 12%.

Senior executives from some of the big four supermarkets made the alarming prediction in briefings to the Treasury on the impact on food prices of a no-deal Brexit.

The biggest tariffs on imports from the EU could include cheese, up by 44%, beef, up by 40%, and chicken, up 22%.

The warnings, which the Treasury is taking seriously, come as it is revealed that Britain’s monetary chiefs have ploughed the country’s foreign currency reserves into euros since the Brexit referendum, in what some are claiming is a vote of confidence in the stability of the single currency.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/supermarkets-on-brexit-no-deal-will-hike-food-bills-by-12-m7cbfb257

shop at Aldi and save 30%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And the difference with UK is?
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, on the other hand, the May outcomes appear to be between a wretched capitulation of a deal, or no deal at all.

Maybe I'll be wrong. But we'll see.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Progress. 12% price rise is vaguely credible, rather than all this stockpiling and starvation nonsense.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Add May to be leader on April 1st 2019 @ Evens to your betslip whilst you're there too.

Another good bet is May to still be PM at 9/2 after July 2020 on Betfair.

It's only 23 months away, and we'll still be in the transition period and two years from a GE. If I'm reading May right, she wants to finish the job and have a couple of years to leave a domestic legacy.

If I'm reading the Party right, she won't fall until a new candidate emerges who can command support from all wings if she doesn't want to go
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/dsmitheconomics/status/1028538464076288000?s=21
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May's Tories are not in a coalition government with the Labour Party
  • Options
    That's a remarkably niche service. Hard to imagine anyone with a brain needing it, isn't it?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It's only 23 months away, and we'll still be in the transition period and two years from a GE. If I'm reading May right, she wants to finish the job and have a couple of years to leave a domestic legacy.

If I'm reading the Party right, she won't fall until a new candidate emerges who can command support from all wings if she doesn't want to go
    The majority of the Parliamentary Conservative party is going to spend the next period as gatekeepers against the insanity of the members. At some point they will fall. A lot depends on the sense of duty of a woman in her sixties who’s a Type 1 diabetic.
  • Options

Han Dodges:

Whisper it. Especially if you’re in the vicinity of Jacob Rees-Mogg, Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson, (unless, in the latter case, you are safely disguised as part of the postal system or Ronnie Biggs). But Theresa May’s Chequers strategy is starting to work.

As ever, this does not fit the popular Westminster narrative. We are meant to believe Mrs May’s premiership is imploding in an orgy of Tory in-fighting, as an enraged nation reacts in fury to her heinous Brexit betrayal. That her grand-design lies in ruins, rejected out of hand by the callous and conniving EU bureaucrats.

But once again, British politics is refusing to follow the script. The British people are proving stubbornly independent. And there are even signs the member states of the EU are finally realising that if they want to avoid a cliff-edge, no-deal, UK departure, they are going to have to start to respond to the PM’s pragmatism with some hard-headed realism of their own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6051417/DAN-HODGES-Theresa-broken-wicked-Brexit-witches-spell.html

I posted on here many, many months ago that the June 2017 election outcome actually left Theresa May with a really good negotiating position: she could say "work with me for a reasonable Brexit deal - or else I fall, and am replaced by No-Deal Boris...." It has not been clear that she has been prepared to use that line. In public, at least. But now, as we reach the sharp end - the only time the EU ever pays attention - the Cabinet resignations have made it crystal clear to the EU: UK politics is working towards a walk-away Brexit being now a very real alternative. The media here is playing along, and many of the contributors on here are aghast that No-Deal Boris could actually happen.

Importantly, there are maybe straws in the wind that EU leaders are sensing that No-Deal Boris is a possibility - and really, really not what they want. There are stories floating around that maybe, just maybe, they are now considering some alternatives.

Meanwhile, the Conservative Party keeps May in place, but ramps up the pressure, inching a VONC nearer with every letter sent in.... It is an epic game of negotiating brinksmanship that might yet deliver an OK outcome. If it does, it will make it much easier for the Conservative Party to come back together, with each player saying they did their bit in the Great Brexit Game.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'm of the view Brexit is even less likely if May is replaced by a Brexiteer, whereas it is currently very likely.
    I can see that argument. May brings along with her people who would otherwise be opposed, especially if the risk was a no deal Brexit as an alternative.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As the FDP is on 10%, CDU/CSU + FDP are on 40% combined whis made clear that is an unacceptable option for her

The thing which can most change the scene is Merkels stepping down. At the moment shes is probably the largest impediment to a working government.
    Certainly it needs a more right-wing CDU/CSU leader than Merkel to even consider a deal with the AfD
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May's Tories are not in a coalition government with the Labour Party
    Sometimes seems like it!
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Steve Bannon in the Sunday Times quoted as denying that Boris is following the “Trump playbook”

Given that Bannon’s strategy for Trump was “not to remind the white working class that they are working class, but to remind them that they are white”, Boris having a pop at immigrants does look familiar. Mind you, he could just be rerunning the Brexit playbook.
  • Options

Han Dodges:

I posted on here many, many months ago that the June 2017 election outcome actually left Theresa May with a really good negotiating position: she could say "work with me for a reasonable Brexit deal - or else I fall, and am replaced by No-Deal Boris...." It has not been clear that she has been prepared to use that line. In public, at least. But now, as we reach the sharp end - the only time the EU ever pays attention - the Cabinet resignations have made it crystal clear to the EU: UK politics is working towards a walk-away Brexit being now a very real alternative. The media here is playing along, and many of the contributors on here are aghast that No-Deal Boris could actually happen.

Importantly, there are maybe straws in the wind that EU leaders are sensing that No-Deal Boris is a possibility - and really, really not what they want. There are stories floating around that maybe, just maybe, they are now considering some alternatives.

Meanwhile, the Conservative Party keeps May in place, but ramps up the pressure, inching a VONC nearer with every letter sent in.... It is an epic game of negotiating brinksmanship that might yet deliver an OK outcome. If it does, it will make it much easier for the Conservative Party to come back together, with each player saying they did their bit in the Great Brexit Game.
    Hodges is right for once. Chequers is BINO. Chequers is vassal state dressed in Brexit clothing. Yet you can clearly see a marked shift to it here on PB. Desperate Brexiteers who think they may get a soft Brexit stand up for it, but worse, Brexiteers like hyufd are clearly drifting towards it.

Brexiteers drifting towards Chequers BINO are a disgrace.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153

Han Dodges:

A cunning plan, very Baldrickian.
  • Options

Han Dodges:

What do you suggest as an alternative?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Han Dodges:

A cunning plan, very Baldrickian.
    A point I made a full year ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/07/01/everything-is-negotiable-how-the-election-result-may-have-improved-britains-negotiating-position-in-the-brexit-talks/
  • Options

Hodges is right for once. Chequers is BINO. Chequers is vassal state dressed in Brexit clothing. Yet you can clearly see a marked shift to it here on PB. Desperate Brexiteers who think they may get a soft Brexit stand up for it, but worse, Brexiteers like hyufd are clearly drifting towards it.

Disagree.

Is Chequers even close to an optimal outcome for the UK? No.
    Is it better than a no deal Brexit? Yes, just.
    If these are the options available does it make sense to support Chequers through gritted teeth? Yes.

The key, as I have said many times before, is not to regard the deal as the end state. There is no end state. Once out we can drift further away (or get closer again, if that is the popular will) at times of our choosing without an Article 50 process being held as a gun to our head.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

really it doesnt

too many people are fixated on a particular point in time. The world is much more complex and the biggest thing noone can factor in is "events". Whatever the final deal is, it is only the starting point for a new relationship with the EU. Time, events and new players on the scene will simply mean it will be different than any of the TINA options being pushed on PB.
    The public don't accept that a crap do as you are told all consuming Brexit is "a particular point in time" and that things just perhaps might get better at some distant future date, but no reason is given for this upturn beyond "we know nuffin". Not when they were promised more money for the NHS, taking control and no immigration.

Hence the reluctance of politicians making those promises to take ownership.
  • Options

Han Dodges:

I see the possibility, though the brinkmanship leading to accidental no deal still seems more probable.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Disagree.

If these are the options available does it make sense to support Chequers through gritted teeth? Yes.

The key, as I have said many times before, is not to regard the deal as the end state. There is no end state. Once out we can drift further away (or get closer again, if that is the popular will) at times of our choosing without an Article 50 process being held as a gun to our head.
    Seems sound to me, but a lot of people need some proper Brexit red meat now, not possibly later.
  • Options

Han Dodges:

As ever, this does not fit the popular Westminster narrative. We are meant to believe Mrs May’s premiership is imploding in an orgy of Tory in-fighting, as an enraged nation reacts in fury to her heinous Brexit betrayal. That her grand-design lies in ruins, rejected out of hand y want to avoid a cliff-edge, no-deal, UK departure, they are going to have to start to respond to the PM’s pragmatism with some hard-headed realism of their own.

Hodges is right for once. Chequers is BINO. Chequers is vassal state dressed in Brexit clothing. Yet you can clearly see a marked shift to soft Brexit stand up for it, but worse, Brexiteers like hyufd are clearly drifting towards it.

I'd make a distinction between Brexiters and Brexiteers personally. The latter are a lot bolder.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Han Dodges:

I see the possibility, though the brinkmanship leading to accidental no deal still seems more probable.
    If so, many would consider that the EU beast had shown its true colours, can't do business with it, better off out, price worth paying.....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    DavidL said:

The Brexiteers can defeat Theresa May in a VONC, which takes only 48 letters to call. That is the easy part. There is no-one in the parliamentary party who does have confidence in Theresa May.

The reason the headbangers do not call a VONC is that while they would undoubtedly defenestrate Theresa May, her replacement would almost certainly be one of Hunt, Hammond or Javid (and safe from any more challenges). The ERG simply cannot command enough votes to elect a confirmed Brexiteer -- and that assumes they can even find one since burka-botherer Boris is widely thought to have wanted to lose the referendum and is pro-immigration and FoM. Always keep tight hold of the prime minister, for fear of finding someone worse, as nanny used to warn the young Jacob.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Providing the UK signs up to the NI backstop and gets the Withdrawal Agreement through. It probably will IMO but there's a significant risk of a No Deal crisis.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Disagree.

Seems sound to me, but a lot of people need some proper Brexit red meat now, not possibly later.
    We will have left.
    Freedom of movement will be restricted.
    Payments to the EU will be diminished.
    We will have at least limited powers to negotiate our own trade deals.
    We will have avoided a cliff edge.
    The influence of EU lawmaking on our law will be significantly diminished and restricted to the SM.

There are aspects of Chequers that frankly dismay me. But there is a price to be paid for the incompetence of the last 18 months and it may well be it. The question is whether May can deliver it. Initial indications were not good. More recently there have been some encouraging signs.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The Brexiteers can defeat Theresa May in a VONC, which takes only 48 letters to call. That is the easy part. There is no-one in the parliamentary party who does have confidence in Theresa May.

The reason the headbangers do not call a VONC is that while they would undoubtedly defenestrate Theresa May, her replacement would almost certainly be one of Hunt, Hammond or Javid (and safe from any more challenges). The ERG simply cannot command enough votes to elect a confirmed Brexiteer -- and that assumes they can even find one since burka-botherer Boris is widely thought to have wanted to lose the referendum and is pro-immigration and FoM. Always keep tight hold of the prime minister, for fear of finding someone worse, as nanny used to warn the young Jacob.
    Excuse me but with respect your first paragraph is nonsense.

The ERG have to get over 150 conservative mps to back them and that is for the birds.

Indeed it is likely conservative mps outside the ERG have become more determined to keep TM in place
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,838
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Disagree.

We will have left.
    Freedom of movement will be restricted.
    Payments to the EU will be diminished.
    We will have at least limited powers to negotiate our own trade deals.
    We will have avoided a cliff edge.
    The influence of EU lawmaking on our law will be significantly diminished and restricted to the SM.

There are aspects of Chequers that frankly dismay me. But there is a price to be paid for the incompetence of the last 18 months and it may well be it. The question is whether May can deliver it. Initial indications were not good. More recently there have been some encouraging signs.
    It's better than either of the alternatives (Remain, No Deal).
This discussion has been closed.