Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On Betfair punters make it a 20% chance that Corbyn won’t last

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On Betfair punters make it a 20% chance that Corbyn won’t last the year

One betting market which we’ve never reported on has been the Betfair’s year of Corbyn’s departure. This isn’t so surprising for following his reelection by a whopping margin 2 years ago the Labour leader has looked totally secure. This of course has been helped by the overwhelming support he appears to have from the membership and there has been virtually nothing his detractors can do to shift him.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Good bet Mike, I was dubious
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited August 2018
    Corbyn's started an awesome meme though.

https://twitter.com/SocialHistoryOx/status/1029030460637282304
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 39% (+2)
    CON: 37% (-2)
    LDEM: 10% (-)
    GRN: 5% (+1)
    UKIP: 5% (+2)

via @BMGResearch, 06 - 10 Aug
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    As I said yesterday, it is time for the polling companies to start asking how Labour would fare under a different leader. It wouldn't be terribly reliable - but at least it would give people a chance to reflect.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Henry II and Becket can't be long appearing...
  • Options
    I suspect Corbyn will survive this too.

Events in Westminster today and the verdict in the trial of Ben Stokes due today or tomorrow will dominate the news.

Nethanyahu's intervention will help Jez too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    I'd be significantly surprised if Corbyn went, certainly before the far left has thoroughly embuggered Labour's leadership rules.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Corbyn's started an awesome meme though, but with added mocking jokes about his behaviour.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    I mentioned this market yesterday, but can’t see the value in either the 5 that he leaves this year, or the 1.5 that he stays until 2020.

He’s not going to resign before Brexit and a load of internal party changes that are coming up, and if he’s no-confidenced by the MPs again then we’ll see a repeat of the 2016 exercise that saw him emphatically returned by the membership.
  • Options

Events in Westminster today and the verdict in the trial of Ben Stokes due today or tomorrow will dominate the news.

If today's incident is terrorism-related, it will further stoke the story.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    I assume TMay will field his first delivery at next pmqs with "I am pleased to hear the rt hon gent's question, I could see he was here but till he opened his mouth wasn't sure he was involved".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Don't worry. Diane Abbott will sort it all out. She's still Right On. But doesn't have the baggage of attending PLO/IRA funerals. Doesn't have the baggage of being a Man. Or being White. But isn't a headbanger having sent her sprog to a posh school to chase personal aspiration. Isn't as shrill and hectoring as too many female politicians are.

Diane Abbott. Did you catch the name? Abbott.

Morning @Rochdale

You probably missed my question to you the other day after your great post on why, at least at the local level, you are able to get on with the job of providing Labour-inspired policies to the people who need them without paying heed to what is happening in the leadership.

I asked how, under such circumstances, you could look whatever Jewish local residents you may have in the eye as you deliver these "true" Labour services, given what is happening up top in the party? Or is it a question of omelettes, eggs, etc?
    How does what the leader may or may not have laid in Tunis affect our ability to collect the bins? Provide social care? Stop ASB with combined council and police cuts meaning fewer officers? These are the issues that matter to people day to day. And the alternative to an award-winning Labour council successfully managing the dwindling budget is to vote for a Tory group who proposed slashing services further, pulling investment in leisure and culture etc etc.

Jewish people are people the same as anybody else. And whats more, Jewish people have a wide range of opinions like anybody else. They aren't a unified block all saying the same thing. We have several active Jewish members, they aren't pro-Corbyn but that isn't a new thing because of the current row.
  • Options

I heard the same following the terrorist attacks in 2017, didnt do Corbyn any harm.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Was the Tory government of the 1980s more willing to criticise Israel's actions than the Tory government of 2018? Discuss.

I reckon they're about the same when it comes to bumsucking the Saudis.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    He's not being attacked for attending the commemoration of the air strike. He's being attacked for attending a wreath laying ceremony at the graves of the murderers of innocent Israeli athletes.

Still, if Corbyn supporters want to make a comparison between him and Thatcher as to who was toughest on terrorists, they can go right ahead.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    If we're aftertiming bets on Corbyn going, I got 25s and 10s some months back to small stakes. Otoh my bets to win thousands on Tiger at the Open then PGA came to nought.
  • Options

I heard the same following the terrorist attacks in 2017, didnt do Corbyn any harm.
    The atmosphere is very different at the moment.

The effect is cumulative.
  • Options

Was the Tory government of the 1980s more willing to criticise Israel's actions than the Tory government of 2018? Discuss.

Well the old Tory guard weren’t keen on the number of Jews in Thatcher’s government.

More Old Estonian than Old Etonian was the complaint I recall.
  • Options
    FPT:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

My last job was “Director of IT”, does that count? :tongue:

It does count. You should go into politics. It will be amazing.
    I've known awful IT managers and some superb ones (Mr Pit, of course, must be in the latter grouping). I'd argue that the superb ones would make very good politicians: they need to be able too plan complex projects, manage budgets, deal with staff and sometimes obstreperous 'users'. They need to be able to look into the future and plan requirements. They need to be able to explain and sell complex concepts to people not equipped to understand them.

And they need to be able to cope with CEOs who decide to move everyone over to Linux (because he's heard it is good and cheaper) before the end of the year (*).

Fortunately for them, they'll earn much more as a superb IT manager than they would as a politician. ;)

(*) This did happen.
    :+1: Well said, nothing more to add!
    Years and years ago I worked in IT and it was the most political job I ever worked in.
    Yes, IT can be insanely political in some companies. Mostly due to C-levels who think they understand IT becuase their kids showed them how to use an iPad, think that a 1TB file server costs £50 because that’s what PC World sells, think that all the security policies we spent months designing at their request shouldn’t apply to themselves, and the newly released “device” they bought over the weekend needs to be set up today with no testing - but obviously it’ll be our fault if there’s any problems with it.

• Options

TOPPING said:

Don't worry. Diane Abbott will sort it all out. She's still Right On. But doesn't have the baggage of attending PLO/IRA funerals. Doesn't have the baggage of being a Man. Or being White. But isn't a headbanger having sent her sprog to a posh school to chase personal aspiration. Isn't as shrill and hectoring as too many female politicians are.

Diane Abbott. Did you catch the name? Abbott.

Morning @Rochdale

You probably missed my question to you the other day after your great post on why, at least at the local level, you are able to get on with the job of providing Labour-inspired policies to the people who need them without paying heed to what is happening in the leadership.

I asked how, under such circumstances, you could look whatever Jewish local residents you may have in the eye as you deliver these "true" Labour services, given what is happening up top in the party? Or is it a question of omelettes, eggs, etc?
    How does what the leader may or may not have laid in Tunis affect our ability to collect the bins? Provide social care? Stop ASB with combined council and police cuts meaning fewer officers? These are the issues that matter to people day to day. And the alternative to an award-winning Labour council successfully managing the dwindling budget is to vote for a Tory group who proposed slashing services further, pulling investment in leisure and culture etc etc.

Jewish people are people the same as anybody else. And whats more, Jewish people have a wide range of opinions like anybody else. They aren't a unified block all saying the same thing. We have several active Jewish members, they aren't pro-Corbyn but that isn't a new thing because of the current row.
    Yeah but it's all the Labour Party, innit? I perfectly understand if people including your Jewish members are able to hold their noses, but the rosettes don't distinguish between pro- and anti-Corbyn. It must be a bonkers situation for you to be in that the guiding light and driving force of your party is so objectionable and yet all the things you are doing, you are doing "for" him, in his name, and with his blessing.
  • Options

That was partly because the focus turned on police numbers. Let's hope today's incident is not a terrorist incident, in any case.

I tend to think that none of this will make much difference to the public's view. Those who care, care and those who don't are more concerned with other matters. There are only two
    things which will change matters: (1) if he starts losing support within the party ie if people feel that the Left agenda will be best carried on by someone other than him; (2) if he is directly linked to some terrorist group / person involved in a terrorist incident in the UK or involving British citizens.

I am in no position to assess the former. I think there is an appreciable risk of the latter given Corbyn's carelessness (let's put it no higher) over the years. But who can say. Certainly, the latter is what would give me most concern, were I a Labour strategist. It is possible that voters can ignore all sorts of things for ages and ages and then, all of a sudden, the wind changes and some very similar event happens or is uncovered and all hell breaks loose.
  • Options

I'd be significantly surprised if Corbyn went, certainly before the far left has thoroughly embuggered Labour's leadership rules.

The leadership rules of both main parties are already a dog's breakfast. They might as well adopt the Ukip rule that the entire party takes it in turn to job-swap with Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I don't agree. Trump has stories on an almost daily basis that ought to end any normal political career. But the effect is minimal, and if anything for the cultists it simply proves Trump/Corbyn must be right, otherwise why would there be so many attacks on them?
  • Options

Well the old Tory guard weren’t keen on the number of Jews in Thatcher’s government.

That was Macmillan, was it not? Directed at Leon Britton. And exhibiting the sort of polite but sneeringly snobbish anti-semitism of the English upper classes.
  • Options

I think that in this whole anti-semitism debate it is forgotten, that, as @Cyclefree notes, there has long, long been an endemic anti-semitism of the English (Tory) upper classes. As more Jews have integrated, this has diminished but only somewhat.

The Conservatives have long owned the mantle of being anti-semitic and I suppose part of the outrage and disappointment now with Jezza is that, until now, Labour has not indulged also.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

"Jeremy Corbyn was elected leader, but I don't think I was involved...."
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, the Conservative rules are perfectly sensible. Labour's might've worked fine too, if the MPs had bothered to understand what their role was meant to be (ie gatekeepers to stop the foam-flecked loonies getting on the list).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Or even (and I apologise in advance) one Herr Hitler ("Some Jews were killed, but I don't think I was involved....").
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited August 2018
    Cyclefree said:

That was Macmillan, was it not? Directed at Leon Britton. And exhibiting the sort of polite but sneeringly snobbish anti-semitism of the English upper classes.
    It was SuperMac.

Directed at the promotions of Britton, Lawson, Joseph, and Young, and the influence of Victor Rothschild, who was responsible for the sacking of the father of Seumas Milne.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 39% (+2)
    CON: 37% (-2)
    LDEM: 10% (-)
    GRN: 5% (+1)
    UKIP: 5% (+2)

via @BMGResearch, 06 - 10 Aug

On the EMA, Labour just edges ahead of the Tories 39.0 to 38.8.

Electoral Calculus shows the Tories 33 short of a majority.

Con 293
    Lab 279
    LD 16
    SNP 40
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    UKIP 0
    NI 18

Lab + C&S from Nationalists can just squeak a majority, so very weak minority Lab government.

No GE any time soon.
  • Options
    Scotland Yard have confirmed they are treating the Westminster crash as a terror incident
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    glw said:

I don't agree. Trump has stories on an almost daily basis that ought to end any normal political career. But the effect is minimal, and if anything for the cultists it simply proves Trump/Corbyn must be right, otherwise why would there be so many attacks on them?
    It is debatable if Trump is a politician.
    He is certainly outside the constraints of a 'Normal Politician', giving him scope to operate outside the norms of normal politicians. This is not wholly true of JC, in politics since the age of shedding his short trousers.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think that in this whole anti-semitism debate it is forgotten, that, as @Cyclefree notes, there has long, long been an endemic anti-semitism of the English (Tory) upper classes. As more Jews have integrated, this has diminished but only somewhat.

The Conservatives have long owned the mantle of being anti-semitic and I suppose part of the outrage and disappointment now with Jezza is that, until now, Labour has not indulged also.
    I think it is something that has really upset the Jewish community who very much saw Labour as their party. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09fj3xk). They feel betrayed by their party.

The Tory attitude changed significantly under Thatcher.

Anti-semitism can be found anywhere. It does not belong exclusively to the right or left. And there are different strands to it. Corbyn's leadership has simply made public a strand which was widespread within Far Left circles but which most people were unaware of.
  • Options
    I do not see Corbyn going over this but no one can opinion it has enhanced his standing

See the BBC are under fire again for taking 30 minutes to cover the Westminster attack and then returning to their sports coverage and weather.

In the meantime Sky and ITV were covering it as were CNN and Euronews.

The BBC seems to be losing the plot. Suspect head of news needs to be fired
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Cyclefree said:

Alan Clark expressed concern at the proximity of Thatcher to the "clipped cock brigade" in his diary.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

I think it is something that has really upset the Jewish community who very much saw Labour as their party. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09fj3xk). They feel betrayed by their party.

Anti-semitism can be found anywhere. It does not belong exclusively to the right or left. And there are different strands to it. Corbyn's leadership has simply made public a strand which was widespread within Far Left circles but which most people were unaware of.
    Before Corbyn et al took over the party, Labour did have a track record of occasional antisemitic campaigning. It is not that many years since the posters attacking Michael Howard were - quite rightly - condemned as antisemitic.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

I do not see Corbyn going over this but no one can opinion it has enhanced his standing

It will have certainly enhanced his standing in certain sections of the community.
  • Options

Mr. JohnL, the Conservative rules are perfectly sensible. Labour's might've worked fine too, if the MPs had bothered to understand what their role was meant to be (ie gatekeepers to stop the foam-flecked loonies getting on the list).

The Conservative rules led to Theresa May facing off against Andrea Leadsom -- or would have done had CCHQ's men in grey suits not forced the latter's withdrawal. Not even their mums would say they were the cream of the party. Has any Tory election led to the right result, by which I mean the one most members actually wanted? Even Mrs Thatcher was elected by mistake (as Airey Neave played the protest vote card and hid the fact she looked like winning).

For Labour, opponents complain it was the unions who elected Ed Miliband but the real story is it was the second preferences that pushed him over the line.

The other giveaway is that both parties tinker with the rules after each new leader pops up.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Macmillian was Scottish, not English.

He was also upper middle class (albeit married to the daughter of a Duke) not upper class.

But, yes, it was a rather characteristic of a kind of sneeringly snobbish anti-semitism that was prevalent between the wars and among people of Macmillian's generation
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Before Corbyn et al took over the party, Labour did have a track record of occasional antisemitic campaigning. It is not that many years since the posters attacking Michael Howard were - quite rightly - condemned as antisemitic.
    That is true.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

Sandpit said:

My last job was “Director of IT”, does that count? :tongue:

It does count. You should go into politics. It will be amazing.
    I've known awful IT managers and some superb ones (Mr Pit, of course, must be in the latter grouping). I'd argue that the superb ones would make very good politicians: they need to be able too plan complex projects, manage budgets, deal with staff and sometimes obstreperous 'users'. They need to be able to look into the future and plan requirements. They need to be able to explain and sell complex concepts to people not equipped to understand them.

And they need to be able to cope with CEOs who decide to move everyone over to Linux (because he's heard it is good and cheaper) before the end of the year (*).

Fortunately for them, they'll earn much more as a superb IT manager than they would as a politician. ;)

(*) This did happen.
    :+1: Well said, nothing more to add!
    Years and years ago I worked in IT and it was the most political job I ever worked in.
    Yes, IT can be insanely political in some companies. Mostly due to C-levels who think they understand IT becuase their kids showed them how to use an iPad, think that a 1TB file server costs £50 because that’s what PC World sells, think that all the security policies we spent months designing at their request shouldn’t apply to themselves, and the newly released “device” they bought over the weekend needs to be set up today with no testing - but obviously it’ll be our fault if there’s any problems with it.

Sounds familiar.

As head of IT, I remember have a very productive conversation with the CEO of a major company about our plans to use IT to transform business processes thereby cutting costs and improving customer service, at the end of which he asked me to have a look at his printer.

EDIT: I turned it off and on again which seemed to cure the problem. He was very impressed.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It will have certainly enhanced his standing in certain sections of the community.
    The cult will not get Corbyn elected
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The cult don't care about being elected. Its more important to be right. And not actually right. Just smug self-important right where being seen on the correct demos is more important than the real life compromise needed to legislate away the need for the demo.
  • Options

Has any Tory election led to the right result, by which I mean the one most members actually wanted?

Have you heard of a David Cameron?

(Admittedly, not recently after he f*cked up while in the top job....)

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Or even (and I apologise in advance) one Herr Hitler ("Some Jews were killed, but I don't think I was involved....").
    To be fair, I think you are now starting to go over the top.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jamesrbuk: Jeremy Corbyn commemorated terrorists and then had his team lie about it on his behalf for days.

No other politic… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1029077553317855240
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited August 2018
    If I was Corbyn and I was considering standing aside to make way for somebody who might win an election, I think I'd wait until after Brexit was settled: First because it's the kind of weird, potentially chaotic situation where Corbyn could actually somehow end up PM, and second because the ground under the ice is potentially shifting, and it would be easier on the next person if they didn't have to decide where to stand until they could see where it had ended up.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Starting to?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited August 2018
    Employment figures seem to be good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45181079

One thing 'economists seem too dim to understand (see Analysis below):

Analysis:
    Andy Verity, economics correspondent
    Here's something economists have thought for decades that they know for sure: that if unemployment keeps getting lower, wages will improve. For years, the economy's been rudely ignoring the economists' theory, with wages sagging even as the unemployment rate hits fresh lows.

What is it that economists are too dumb to understand?

The negative effect on rising wages of a minimum wage is greater than the upward pressure of higher employment.

Despite higher employment and demand for employment a minimum wage depresses the overall increase of wages.
  • Options
    Mr JohnL, you're conflating the sense, or lack thereof, of systems with the quality of individual candidates.

In the Second Punic War, Rome had the far superior system. Even though it went through many inferior generals, and Carthage had the superb Hannibal, the supremacy of the Roman system gifted it ultimate victory.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    There's no doubt that if the story was as it appeared yesterday that he'd laid a wreath at the graves of the Munich killers I'm sure he'd be out by now. However that apparently isn't what happened. His wreath was laid at the graves of the victims of Israeli bombers. An event that was condemned by the UN.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Sounds familiar.

As head of IT, I remember have a very productive conversation with the CEO of a major company about our plans to use IT to transform business processes thereby cutting costs and improving customer service, at the end of which he asked me to have a look at his printer.

EDIT: I turned it off and on again which seemed to cure the problem. He was very impressed.
    Don’t start me on printers, they’re evil things. I once worked as service manager in a company for three years, and my biggest achievement in that time was to get them to replace a large number of small printers with a small number of large ones! Literally every couple of desks were sharing some consumer-grade piece of crap and I had a support guy full time just dealing with the bloody things!
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

It was meant to be a joke.... :)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The cult don't care about being elected. Its more important to be right. And not actually right. Just smug self-important right where being seen on the correct demos is more important than the real life compromise needed to legislate away the need for the demo.
    The Progress cult is the enemy within.

Whilst the majority of the mainstream membership that you describe as the Cult give everything they have for a Labour Government

The Progress cult does everything they can to derail the party.

Preferring a Tory Government to a Corbyn one.

As Barry Davis would say Just look at Stephen Kinnocks Exit Poll face, just look at his face.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Sounds familiar.

Don’t start me on printers, they’re evil things. I once worked as service manager in a company for three years, and my biggest achievement in that time was to get them to replace a large number of small printers with a small number of large ones! Literally every couple of desks were sharing some consumer-grade piece of crap and I had a support guy full time just dealing with the bloody things!
    Printers are the Devil's playthings.....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Sounds familiar.

Printers are the Devil's playthings.....
    I think that comparison is a little harsh on the Devil.
  • Options
    Roger said:

There's no doubt that if the story was as it appeared yesterday that he'd laid a wreath at the graves of the Munich killers I'm sure he'd be out by now. However that apparently isn't what happened. His wreath was laid at the graves of the victims of Israeli bombers. An event that was condemned by the UN.

No it wasn't. The wreath he was photographed holding was laid in front of 4 graves of men who were involved in the Munich massacre. Somewhere else in the cemetery there is a plaque with the names of those killed in the air strike. There is no photo of Corbyn holding a wreath in front of that plaque.

He was at a conference where both the Munich terrorists and the victims of the air raid were commemorated. You might also want to acquaint yourself with what else was discussed and said at that conference.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Cyclefree has completely lost it

As rational as Sean T these days
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    ...but when can I visit him in hospital to wish him better luck next time....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Undoubtedly but that is a section where they are already very secure. this latest episode will harden the 50+ voters against him and also those of middle of the road Labour MPs. It all makes it very much more difficult for Labour to win an overall majority.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

No it wasn't. The wreath he was photographed holding was laid in front of 4 graves of men who were involved in the Munich massacre. Somewhere else in the cemetery there is a plaque with the names of those killed in the air strike. There is no photo of Corbyn holding a wreath in front of that plaque.

He was at a conference where both the Munich terrorists and the victims of the air raid were commemorated. You might also want to acquaint yourself with what else was discussed and said at that conference.
    If Corbyn sat down to a dish of liver and fava beans with a nice Chianti, Roger's curiousity would only extend to the vintage of the Chianti....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1029308574097453056
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Yes - in the world of Squawkbox and Corbynism, being concerned about honour in politics and the spread of anti-semitism and insults against women is going over the top and losing it.

A badge I wear with pride given who it is coming from.

Anyway, I have a meeting to prepare for in the City. I hope this latest terror incident is not going to mess up travel around London too much.

• Options
    Anazina said:

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Starting to?
    Oh here's the voice of reason to shore up JC. Have you recovered for seeing too many Union Jacks yet? It must be awful living in this hell-hole of a country full of naff chavs spoiling your day.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I think you will find that is wrong.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Or as Gary Glitter might say, "Some kids got fiddled with, but I don't think I was involved."
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Yes - in the world of Squawkbox and Corbynism, being concerned about honour in politics and the spread of anti-semitism and insults against women is going over the top and losing it.

Anyway, I have a meeting to prepare for in the City. I hope this latest terror incident is not going to mess up travel around London too much.

you are the one who compares Hitler to Corbyn.

and thinks its funny

Get a grip
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger is much happier repeating Corbyn's lies.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

FPT. You might not consider Israel an Apartheid state but many do. All 18 Arab nations including those with a peace agreement with Israel for a start and even the UN as in this report. If being Jewish entitles you to judge anti semitism surely being a minority inhabitant of greater Israel gives you the right to say whether the state you live in is an Apartheid one?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/16/is-israel-an-apartheid-state-this-u-n-report-says-yes/?utm_term=.f366a50a191e
  • Options

ttps://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1029308574097453056
    There’s a lot of blue lights around the car in the lead up to the crash, was he being chased already I wonder?
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, Miss Cyclefree has not lost it. She's blessed with the gift of sight and free from the curse of zealous faith in Corbyn.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Morning all :)

Sitting in Wetherspoon's enjoying breakfast when news of the latest "terrorist attack" broke. As always, long on speculation and short on facts. Yes, it's terror in its widest form but beyond that we'll see.

As far as Corbyn is concerned, I keep going back to the comments of Nick P and others. One of the problems with political parties is sometimes you have to choose a leader with whom the party may be uncomfortable but who resonates with the wider electorate or to put it bluntly, do you want a leader who you like or a leader who gets you power?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Potentially interesting development in Sweden - dozens of cars set alight overnight, in what police say may be a co-ordinated criminal action. I still can't understand why the Sweden Democrats are quite so short for the election, though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45181321
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

you are the one who compares Hitler to Corbyn.

and thinks its funny

Get a grip
    It's Corbyn who compares Israel with the Nazis - describing the siege of Gaza as like Leningrad or Stalingrad. It is Corbyn who wants to be free to compare Israel to the Nazis by refusing to follow the IHRA definition. It's Corbyn who invites Holocaust deniers to Parliament and travels with them to Syria to fawn at the feet of President Assad.

You may think this is acceptable. I don't. I don't think it funny at all. I think it a moral disaster. But clearly acting morally and honourably is no longer valued in politics - as my header yesterday pointed out.

And the meme is funny because someone like the leader you so admire coming up with implausible excuses for morally repulsive behaviour deserves having the piss taken out of him - and savagely.
  • Options

Mr. Owls, Miss Cyclefree has not lost it. She's blessed with the gift of sight and free from the curse of zealous faith in Corbyn.

She is an excellent contributor
  • Options
    edited August 2018

That footage does not look like a terrorist incident. The car is too light for mowing down pedestrians, drives past larger groups and does not end up where a bomb might destroy a building. I'd wonder about health or mental health issues. Both could be true if it turns out to be a spur of the moment, lone wolf attack.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There’s a lot of blue lights around the car in the lead up to the crash, was he being chased already I wonder?
    It looks like an ambulance.

They wouldn’t be the first driver to be spooked by an Ambulance with sirens blaring.
  • Options

That footage does not look like a terrorist incident. The car is too light for mowing down pedestrians, drives past larger groups and does not end up where a bomb might destroy a building. I'd wonder about health or mental health issues. Both could be true if it turns out to be a spur of the moment, lone wolf attack.
    I have no idea whether or not it is a terrorist incident. However some say he was travelling at high speed but the video doesn't seem to indicate that but the driver did seem to know where he was going
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

It looks like an ambulance.

They wouldn’t be the first driver to be spooked by an Ambulance with sirens blaring.
    The vehicle on his right as he goes around the roundabout is an ambulance, but there’s another van that’s the vehicle immediately behind him as he cuts across into the Parliament entrance, that stops for a few seconds then moves quickly to the location of the crashed car as the video ends.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    philiph said:

Employment figures seem to be good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45181079

What is it that economists are too dumb to understand?

The negative effect on rising wages of a minimum wage is greater than the upward pressure of higher employment.

Despite higher employment and demand for employment a minimum wage depresses the overall increase of wages.

The problem isn't at the minimum wage end of the employment spectrum where there are plenty of people willing to take work at those wage levels.

The issue is skilled professional staff where there are clear signs of insufficient capacity and labour shortages in a number of sectors. These can and do drive up wage inflation as we saw in the 1980s.
  • Options
    Sky - Evacuation at the DWP building
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

FPT. You might not consider Israel an Apartheid state but many do. All 18 Arab nations including those with a peace agreement with Israel for a start and even the UN as in this report. If being Jewish entitles you to judge anti semitism surely being a minority inhabitant of greater Israel gives you the right to say whether the state you live in is an Apartheid one?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/03/16/is-israel-an-apartheid-state-this-u-n-report-says-yes/?utm_term=.f366a50a191e
    If you refer to the Occupied Territories such a term might be worthwhile. I don't know. I've never been there. Have you? But for Israel proper i.e. excluding the occupied territories - no.

I note you use the term "Greater Israel" to make it look as if the report is talking about Israel and not the Occupied Territories which are not part of Israel.

And as the second paragraph of the report makes clear, its findings were "not cleared or fully backed by U.N. leadership".
  • Options
    Met Police - collided with cyclist and pedestrians. Late 20's and suspicion of terrorist incident and he is not co-operating with the police
  • Options
    felix said:

Roger said:

There was a discussion between a Jewish supporter of Labour and a speech writer for the Israeli Embassy. The interviewer said 'But it wasn't for the Munich bombers it was for some people killed in an Israeli bombing which had been condemned by the UN'. The spokesman for the Israeli Embassy spoke next and didn't contradict him.

It's not just an academic exercise to find out. Supporting the grotesque event at Munich isinexcusable and should certainly lead to his resignation. Attending a memorial for Palestinians killed in an illegal Israel air strike should not. Having witnessed one myself in Beirut in which 5 completely innocent Lebanese telephone workers were killed I'm well aware of Israel's disregard for the lives of non Israelis.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

If you refer to the Occupied Territories such a term might be worthwhile. I don't know. I've never been there. Have you? But for Israel proper i.e. excluding the occupied territories - no.

I note you use the term "Greater Israel" to make it look as if the report is talking about Israel and not the Occupied Territories which are not part of Israel.

And as the second paragraph of the report makes clear, its findings were "not cleared or fully backed by U.N. leadership".
    Judea and Samaria where the majority of settlements are sited aren't part of Israel?
  • Options

Met Police - collided with cyclist and pedestrians. Late 20's and suspicion of terrorist incident and he is not co-operating with the police

The driver has said

‘He was there, but doesn’t think he was involved’
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited August 2018

The driver has said

‘He was there, but doesn’t think he was involved’
    It will go on and on. Corbyn is now a national joke
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Roger said:

felix said:

Roger said:

There was a discussion between a Jewish supporter of Labour and a speech writer for the Israeli Embassy. The interviewer said 'But it wasn't for the Munich bombers it was for some people killed in an Israeli bombing which had been condemned by the UN'. The spokesman for the Israeli Embassy spoke next and didn't contradict him.

It's not just an academic exercise to find out. Supporting the grotesque event at Munich isinexcusable and should certainly lead to his resignation. Attending a memorial for Palestinians killed in an illegal Israel air strike should not. Having witnessed one myself in Beirut in which 5 completely innocent Lebanese telephone workers were killed I'm well aware of Israel's disregard for the lives of non Israelis.
    Thing is, Rog, this is a snapshot of Jezza's activities over the past 40 years. Where was he in the cemetery? Near one set of graves, or another? Who cares, frankly. But this action should be seen in the context of his support for the PLO which was at the time (is it now?) dedicated to pushing Israel into the Sea. The incident in question followed one whereby Israelis were killed by members of the PLO. And no doubt before that there were incidents by both sides, either legitimate or otherwise depending on your sympathies. Going all the way back to the UN vote to create Israel and the immediate subsequent attack by Arab nations on it.

And this is the issue: Jezza's sympathies have always and only been with the side that wanted to exterminate Israel and the Israelis. And you know what? Arab citizens though there are, Israel was and remains a Jewish State.
  • Options
    Cyclefree Godwins the thread by mid-morning. A new PB record?
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, present but not involved reminds me of when John Terry didn't play in a match, then ran onto the field, kitted out, after they won.
  • Options
    Bridge collapse in Genoa sounds awful

Huge piece of motorway to disintegrate

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45183624
  • Options

Dreadful
  • Options
    felix said:

Anazina said:

Yorkcity said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Ma Beckett

Starting to?
    Oh here's the voice of reason to shore up JC. Have you recovered for seeing too many Union Jacks yet? It must be awful living in this hell-hole of a country full of naff chavs spoiling your day.
    You seem awfully on edge these past few days. Have you considered taking a holiday?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    TOPPING said:

Who will rid me of this turbulent wreath ?
  • Options

That looks horrible, sadly there’s going to be numerous casualties.
  • Options

I have no idea whether or not it is a terrorist incident. However some say he was travelling at high speed but the video doesn't seem to indicate that but the driver did seem to know where he was going
    The latest update says it is an terrorist incident and the suspect is not cooperating. My guess would he agrees he was there but was not really involved.
This discussion has been closed.