Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Good Queen Tess

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Good Queen Tess

Picture credit: Pulpstar

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    First!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited August 2018
    Yes, 'Chequers Deal' terms Brexit may end up being the compromise between diehard Remainers who want to reverse Brexit completely and No Deal Leavers who want no compromise with the EU at all.

Similarly the more Anglo Catholic Anglican Church that emerged under Henry VIII and Elizabeth 1st ended up being a middle ground between those Catholics who wanted to reverse the Reformation and remain loyal to Rome and more radical nonconformist Protestants who wanted to complete the Lutheran rebellion in England and Wales
  • Options
    Interesting analogy.

I wonder who in this parable would be her cousin, rival and pretender to the throne Mary or the ill-fated Lord Darnley etc

Either way I suspect Tess will reign for considerably less time than the 45 years of Bess.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    edited August 2018
    Amusing, though if May's procrastination can bear fruit and preside over a period of British history, let alone a great period, then she will deserve a lot of praise (even if many of her wounds are self inflicted).

That'd be tough though, after all, even the CoE agree that the EU is the greatest dream realised for human beings since the fall of the western Roman Empire.
  • Options
    Excellent piece Richard.

Am glad my brilliant historical analogies are having an influence on PBers.

Excellent photoshop work by Pulpstar.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112
    She looks like a ghost. But she isn't, yet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Interesting analogy.

I wonder who in this parable would be her cousin, rival and pretender to the throne Mary or the ill-fated Lord Darnley etc

Either way I suspect Tess will reign for considerably less time than the 45 years of Bess.

Maybe Theresa is Bloody "Difficult" Mary, who tried to keep faith with Europe but ultimately it is her successor who presides over a great period in English history......
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Amusing, though if May's procrastination can bear fruit and preside over a period of British history, let alone a great period, then she will deserve a lot of praise (even if many of her wounds are self inflicted).

That'd be tough though, after all, even the CoE agree that the EU is the greatest dream realised for human beings since the fall of the western Roman Empire.

55% of Anglicans backed Leave in a pre EU referendum poll.

As ever Anglican clergy are more left liberal than their congregation

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2016/0531/Why-do-Anglicans-lean-pro-Brexit-while-atheists-favor-Remain
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,317
    Elegantly done - I didn't catch who Richard was writing about until he revealed it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    Very good!
  • Options
    Hope this thread didn't put a curse on Pope. But he's gone now.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Excellent piece.
  • Options

Interesting analogy.

Maybe Theresa is Bloody "Difficult" Mary, who tried to keep faith with Europe but ultimately it is her successor who presides over a great period in English history......
    Very good. You win this thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Interesting analogy.

May has not yet proposed burning No Deal Leavers like Mary did to Protestants, though of course that would also require a future Elizabeth to start executing diehard Remainers as she did Catholic loyalists (perhaps we could find William Glenn a priesthole?)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,610
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2016/0531/Why-do-Anglicans-lean-pro-Brexit-while-atheists-favor-Remain
    Good article. The Catholic/Protestant split in Euroscepticism is little remarked upon, but it is predictive: the more Protestant a country is the more Eurosceptic, with a rough dividing line going from Finland, round the Baltics, Northern Germany and us.

Incidentally, a rumoured reason for Tony Blair converting to Catholicism was that he was positioning himself to become President of the European Council.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I timed laying England at 1.75 pretty much to perfection. About two balls before the first wicket. 2.7 to lay now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,000
    The Remain campaign has fallen foul of the cybernats.

https://twitter.com/WingsScotland/status/1031137899142631424
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The end of Pope-ry.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

The end of Pope-ry.....
    but it smelled so nice...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    Half a millennium until the next referendum? I can live with that... :D

Thanks for the thread, Richard.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,947

Amazing that a motley collection of ex-Bettertogetherers and a speech featuring 'we love the EU because we love the UK' didn't win them over.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Good article. The Catholic/Protestant split in Euroscepticism is little remarked upon, but it is predictive: the more Protestant a country is the more Eurosceptic, with a rough dividing line going from Finland, round the Baltics, Northern Germany and us.

Incidentally, a rumoured reason for Tony Blair converting to Catholicism was that he was positioning himself to become President of the European Council.
    True, the majority of the original founders of the Treaty of Rome, France, Italy, Belgium and Luxembourg were Catholic with the Netherlands and West Germany Protestant (with Germany having a Catholic majority in Bavaria).

Of the West European nations outside the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and soon the UK all are Protestant majority and same goes for Sweden and Denmark who are outside the Eurozone.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The end of Pope-ry.....
    Yeah, that is what I was aiming for but I didn't quite get there.
  • Options

Amazing that a motley collection of ex-Bettertogetherers and a speech featuring 'we love the EU because we love the UK' didn't win them over.
    Yes it seems spectacularly ill-judged, and why the special hashtag #PeoplesVoteScot?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Wasn't Elizabeth I famous for sealing the separation from a meddlesome and overweening European power, and for seeing off further continental interference in the forms (respectively) of the Pope and the Spanish Armada?

We'll see, but I fear this will prove optimistic. The fault line over the EU may well persist as long as the iconoclasm of the Eastern Roman Empire.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

True, the majority of the original founders of the Treaty of Rome, France, Italy, Belgium and Luxembourg were Catholic with the Netherlands and West Germany Protestant (with Germany having a Catholic majority in Bavaria).

Of the West European nations outside the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and soon the UK all are Protestant majority and same goes for Sweden and Denmark who are outside the Eurozone.
    Indeed
  • Options

Plus if we have another referendum about the EU will we really want another one about independence as well? You really can have too much of a good thing. Personally I think we should leave referenda for this generation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    An interesting conceit for a thread, but the idea that Elizabeth settled the issue once and for all is rather over egging it.

There was a little local difficulty with Scotland, and even more so in Ireland, the crown passed to Scotland and the Stuart Kings moved even further to Protestantism in name only, before being deposed and executed. After a century of internal conflict, occasionally breaking out into civil war, Britain became ruled by Dutch then German dynasties.Not a good omen!

Perhaps Tess is really Henry VIII, wanting a break with Catholicism for internal political reasons rather than true conviction. Ironically this makes JRM become Thomas Cromwell pursuing a more radical split.

• Options

Yes it seems spectacularly ill-judged, and why the special hashtag #PeoplesVoteScot?
    I'm a bit anti hashtags in general, but I guess it's some kind of tokenistic attempt to make Scots feel that they've got their own wee slice of the PeoplesVote action. Having already voted 62% to Remain I'd imagine many might feel a tad patronised.

A reasonable starting point would have been for all those pro EU/UK types to admit that their 'vote No to stay in the EU' stuff may have been misjudged. Nothing abject, just that they were wrong, let's try and fix it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Yes, 'Chequers Deal' terms Brexit may end up being the compromise between diehard Remainers who want to reverse Brexit completely and No Deal Leavers who want no compromise with the EU at all.

Similarly the more Anglo Catholic Anglican Church that emerged under Henry VIII and Elizabeth 1st ended up being a middle ground between those Catholics who wanted to reverse the Reformation and remain loyal to Rome and more radical nonconformist Protestants who wanted to complete the Lutheran rebellion in England and Wales

The Henrican church wasn’t Anglo Catholic as we understand it today - that was a creation of the Oxford Movement

It was simply - as the Anglicans profess today - a Catholic Church but not a Roman Catholic Church
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Mr. Divvie, if Scotland had voted no, it'd be out of the UK and, ironically, the rest of the UK would almost certainly be in.

Edited extra bit: out of the UK *and* the EU.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Interesting analogy.

I think you have got it wrong again, Mr Mark. Mary I does not fit into this picture at all.

Elizabeth had many outstanding qualities (unlike poor old May), but I am sure she was a "bloody difficult woman" to cope with from the point of view of her councillors (as indeed was Mary Stuart) .

Elizabeth was able to hold the country together - but the underlying problem was only left to simmer, unless it boiled up again under the disastrous Stuarts - though the question was somewhat redefined by then.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

Plus if we have another referendum about the EU will we really want another one about independence as well? You really can have too much of a good thing. Personally I think we should leave referenda for this generation.
    I'm resisting the urge to come over all Mandy Rice-Davis.

So to speak.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'm resisting the urge to come over all Mandy Rice Davis.

So to speak.
    The referendum genie is out of the bottle now, and I think they will be as frequent as General Elections in British political life.

There will be another on the EU within a decade or so, possibly even very soon.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    Who is Walsingham?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I'm resisting the urge to come over all Mandy Rice-Davis.

So to speak.
    Well you would say that, wouldn't you? :lol:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

So to speak.
    The referendum genie is out of the bottle now, and I think they will be as frequent as General Elections in British political life.

Probably.
    The misconception is that referendums resolve stuff; whether down to close results, lies/false promises made by either side or no one having a fucking clue about what they were actually voting for, more often than not the 'stuff' will crop up again.
  • Options
    Man City looking rampant again.

• Options
    Struggling to avoid the follow on....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    No-one ever likes the middle ground, despite it being where most voters would position themselves. ''Twas ever thus.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, ha. Reminds me of Davros' speech against democracy in Genesis of the Daleks.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Still 2 runs needed.
  • Options

Mr. B2, ha. Reminds me of Davros' speech against democracy in Genesis of the Daleks.

And as if by magic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqcl21Ur-c
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Thanks for the kind comments.

Another curious parallel between the Elizabethan age and today is that, in order to compensate for the reduced trade with Catholic Europe, Elizabeth's government spent a lot of effort trying to set up links elsewhere. This is brilliantly explored in this book, which I greatly recommend (it's full of fascinating stories about the official and unofficial adventurers, some of them real shysters, who tried to set up trade deals with the Islamic world):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Orient-Isle-Elizabethan-England/dp/0241004020
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Oh feck, went to walk dogs for 20 mins and we lost 4!

Edit. We lost 5. Still haven’t avoided the follow-on.
  • Options
    Mr. Viewcode, make Skaro great again!

We're building an impenetrable concrete dome, and the Thals are gonna pay for it!

Mr. Nabavi, haven't read that, but if anyone wants a more general sort of everyman's history, Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England is very good indeed.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,903
    128-9
  • Options

Another curious parallel between the Elizabethan age and today is that, in order to compensate for the reduced trade with Catholic Europe, Elizabeth's government spent a lot of effort trying to set up links elsewhere. This is brilliantly explored in this book, which I greatly recommend (it's full of fascinating stories about the official and unofficial adventurers, some of them real shysters, who tried to set up trade deals with the Islamic world):

Who was the Liam Fox of the era?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

I timed laying England at 1.75 pretty much to perfection. About two balls before the first wicket. 2.7 to lay now.
    You'd certainly not get 1.75 now FFS.
  • Options
    Follow on avoided!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Follow on avoided !
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Lay price on England right now is 8. India back price is 1.2.
    There’s huge value in that 1.2.

Edit. At least we avoided the follow on.
  • Options

Wasn’t he the guy that tried to find the North East passage..... ie round to N Russia?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Follow-on avoided!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Excellent, entertaining, pragmatic and realistic thread. In terms of the options available good queen Tess is probably as good as it gets for now.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

For a moment, I thought you must be the Liam Fox of dog-walkers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Follow on avoided!

About as proud a boast as "No deal brexit averted!!"
  • Options
    edited August 2018

And did he have a cabin boy Werritty?
  • Options
    Let’s see what Jos “T20” Buttler can do from here.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    If I was bojo i'd be scratching those blond locks - he may not have them for much longer. :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Follow on avoided!

Fair point!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Huh, wouldn't have predicted Cook to be the top scorer a few hours ago.
    IanB2 said:

No-one ever likes the middle ground, despite it being where most voters would position themselves. ''Twas ever thus.

Wise words. You'd think we'd all learn.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Follow on avoided!

Perhaps the transition period could be considered Brussels enforcing the follow on.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Ahem. Targets are made to be beaten. [suspect this comment will not age well]
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/28277458
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Ahem. Targets are made to be beaten. [suspect this comment will not age well]
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/28277458
    Lightning. Twice! Odds
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

You must be buying a lot of dogs.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

Not even my dogs, I’m house sitting for a friend who’s on holiday.

I can’t stand the bloody yapping things, but their owner does have a very well stocked cellar and a 70” TV ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I can’t stand the bloody yapping things, but their owner does have a very well stocked cellar and a 70” TV ;)
    If you must have a dog have a big one.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

You must be buying a lot of dogs.
    LOL. Let me rephrase that. I went out for 20 minutes and England’s cricketers lost five wickets.
  • Options
    King Cole, downside of big dogs is they tend to live shorter lives.
  • Options

King Cole, downside of big dogs is they tend to live shorter lives.

Is that so?
  • Options

...make Skaro great again...

I LOL'd. Genuinely.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    King Cole, yeah. Think there are odd exceptions but about 10 years is not unusual. Little yappy things can live to late teens or 20.

A medium-sized dog is a nice compromise. And I like border collies. My first dog (cross-breed) lived to be nearly 17.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Viewcode, one aims to please.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Thanks, BTW to @Pulpstar for the illustration. Hope it's not treasonous!
  • Options
    https://www.caninejournal.com/life-expectancy-of-dogs/
    Shortest-lived dogs: Bernese Mountain Dog, Great Dane, French Mastiff, Irish Wolfhound.
    Longest-lived dogs: rat-dogChihuahua, Yorkie
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I’m looking after a couple of miniature Schnauzers for three weeks, I just don’t understand why someone would want a pair of annoying children in the house. If I were going to get a dog myself it’d be something like a golden retriever, but not while still living abroad.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I agree. Smaller dogs tend to make more noise too.
  • Options
    Every time I hear Bumrah's name mentioned on the cricket, a little voice in my head adds "the ever-living". He's got his revenge on me, anyway.

Hat, coat, taxi for one.
  • Options
    United should sack Jose at half time like Spurs did with Jol a few years back.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, after the thundersnow phenomenon mentioned last year, I did suggest that the real problem wasn't them, but the Mummrastorms.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I’m looking after a couple of miniature Schnauzers for three weeks, I just don’t understand why someone would want a pair of annoying children in the house. If I were going to get a dog myself it’d be something like a golden retriever, but not while still living abroad.
    Take them for a long walk, good for you and them and they will sleep the rest of the day. Works for both dogs and children.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Take them for a long walk, good for you and them and they will sleep the rest of the day. Works for both dogs and children.
    Agreed, but have you been in Dubai in August? They’ve trained themselves pretty well to run out, do what they have to do and be back inside 20 minutes. Currently over 40°C and about 80% humidity, an hour after sunset.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

So to speak.

We are not Switzerland and indeed unless one side wins a 60% victory on a high turnout referenda almost never settle anything.

If you think another EU referendum would settle anything see the latest Deltapoll

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1031188248754900992
  • Options

King Cole, yeah. Think there are odd exceptions but about 10 years is not unusual. Little yappy things can live to late teens or 20.

A medium-sized dog is a nice compromise. And I like border collies. My first dog (cross-breed) lived to be nearly 17.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Viewcode, one aims to please.

Yep. Medium sized is where it's at.
  • Options
    Arsène Wenger is available if United are looking for a new manager.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    Afternoon all :)

Thanks to Richard N for the thread.

Like most analogies, it doesn't stand up to anything approaching inspection - May survives because of two factors - first, Corbyn, who holds her party together as the Bogeyman or if we're going to play Elizabethan analogies, the threat of Catholic Spain invading and destroying English Protestant supremacy.

Second, she's the only game in town. Her principal advisers, were they to ascend the throne, would incite rebellion or yield support to Philip (that's the King of Spain, not Mr May). At the moment, England survives with her in charge but if it looks as though the Spanish will land in Margate and advance on London, she'll be removed.

As I've said here many times, politics is frozen in situ while Corbyn remains Labour leader. Short of a schism (and those with long memories will recall there was plenty of scepticism about the likelihood of an SDP in 1980), nothing changes until he goes.

He is regarded as the Devil incarnate by a substantial bloc of voters and as the Messiah by a smaller but still substantial bloc. More accurately, if you believe the Labour model for Britain is flawed and will lead us to penury, you stick with the Tories. If you believe the Conservative model for Britain is flawed and will lead us to penury, you stick with Corbyn.

It was the same with Thatcher and Foot in 1980-1 and indeed for a while it looked as though the main schism might come on the Conservative side with the likes of Prior, Walker and Gilmour defecting.
  • Options
    Not been the best couple of days for Joe Root has it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    @DavidL

I've just read your comment on India's first innings score and how it isn't too daunting.

If that is a sample of your influence, could you please not comment on cricket?!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

So to speak.

We are not Switzerland and indeed unless one side wins a 60% victory on a high turnout referenda almost never settle anything.

If you think another EU referendum would settle anything see the latest Deltapoll

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1031188248754900992
    Does anyone have a contact at Deltapoll to get their tables? I don't believe this is accurate.
  • Options
    ' Up to a third of fresh food grown on British farms — including 2,500 tons of Scottish strawberries — is discarded each year because its appearance does not meet standards expected by supermarket chains and the EU, new research claims.

Academics say the waste produced is responsible for nearly 1,000 kilotons of greenhouse gas emissions but that Brexit may offer the UK the chance to develop a new approach.

The team at Edinburgh University claims to have estimated for the first time the quantity of fruit and vegetables lost and emissions produced in the UK and Europe due to “quality” controls of the European Commission and stores with a large market share. '

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/third-of-food-wasted-as-its-too-ugly-for-eu-and-shops-rhk6b3mpm

A similar story on the BBC:

' More than a third of farmed fruit and vegetables never reaches supermarket shelves because it is misshapen or the wrong size, according to new research.

A University of Edinburgh study found more than 50 million tonnes of fruit and vegetables grown across Europe were discarded each year. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-45238732

Worth remembering when some farmer who wont off fair pay and conditions wails that crops are going unharvested.

And puts a new perspective on the foodbank issue.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,962

Good news: Sam Curran has managed a knock of 40 in a low scoring innings for Surrey (i.e. more than anyone else in the England line-up, and considerably more than Stokes!)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Zinedine Zidane wants it. Mourinho must go and go now
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

United should sack Jose at half time like Spurs did with Jol a few years back.

Absolutely
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

His captaincy was mince towards the end of the last test, if the Indians had batted a touch better and some more rain fell it would have been shown up for the piss poor captaincy it was.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, mildly surprised at your disbelief. Do you think there is a shift to Remain, or Leave, in the country?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Jose wants Suicide by Cop to get a bigger payoff, methinks.

Leicester dropped points there last week. We are a young team and making mistakes, but very good at times yesterday vs Wolves. Only 3 starters from the PL winning side yesterday, and of those only Kasper finished on the pitch. Mid table this season for us, but Puel is shaping a good team.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Jose wants Suicide by Cop to get a bigger payoff, methinks.

Leicester dropped points there last week. We are a young team and making mistakes, but very good at times yesterday vs Wolves and at Old Trafford. Only 3 starters from the PL winning side yesterday, and of these only Kasper finished on the pitch. Mid table this season for us, but Puel is shaping a good team.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, mildly surprised at your disbelief. Do you think there is a shift to Remain, or Leave, in the country?

Ah I see now. That poll is a month old and comes from the link below. Deltapoll haven't published their tables yet for the poll featured in today's Sun.

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/polls/brext-chequers-may-conservatives
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

His captaincy was mince towards the end of the last test, if the Indians had batted a touch better and some more rain fell it would have been shown up for the piss poor captaincy it was.
    :+1:
  • Options

tlg86 said:

But Zidane had Varane and Ramos at Real Madrid. Wenger has experience of working with piss poor centre backs.
This discussion has been closed.