Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Campaign-funded YouGov poll points to the LDs getting to withi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Campaign-funded YouGov poll points to the LDs getting to within 2 points of LAB if the red team backs Brexit

New YouGov poll commissioned by an anti-Brexit campaign group points to big electoral price that LAB would pay if continues to back Brexithttps://t.co/2FUSmdTxSr

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    First like Remain in the next referendum
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sorry - I just can't take that seriously
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So, Labour voters can ignore the misogeny, the anti semitism and the other poison and general economic madness of Labour ... but Brexit will do them in.

Riiiight.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    So anything other than Labour’s current Brexit tightrope strategy guarantees a (small) Tory majority.

What an idiot Adonis is.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    On Topic.

What complete bollocks

I am aware of an ICM poll due out this week.

A very small percentage of Labour voters see BREXIT as the issue that will decide their vote.

Much more important for Tory voters BTW
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,629
    I'm skeptical to say the least. Labour members are very for Remain, but they didn't abandon the party at the last GE for a party which would back remain/rejoin, and the LDs were actively angling to become the main opposition by doing so. Unless there's a GE sometime this year (not impossible, elections teams up and down the country are preparing for it just in case, but unlikely) the next GE will be during or after the transition phase, at which point I would think Labour remainers would grumble about what could have been but would take our their ire on those in government.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

While personally I see the merits of another vote, complicated and imperfect though it may be, I refuse to refer to it by that People's vote bollocks. It's petty, insulting and pathetic given the reported motivation behind the rebrand.

Even Blair is on your side.
    https://twitter.com/Change_Britain/status/1029266370716815362
    Fair play to him on that. In fairness, there is a point to treating people like idiots as it works on us a lot more than we would like to think, but being a peripheral figure now perhaps he at least realises there's no point being clever with the language to confuse people as to your intentions on this.
    Of course a lot of people are idiots.

No one on here I hasten to add.
    Well, to completely misquote Abraham Lincoln, you can be an idiot some of the time or all of the time, but you cannot NOT be an idiot all the time. If anyone follows me :)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Have we got access to the questions for this one?

And how much influence did the commissioning parties have over the framing of those questions?
  • Options
    surby said:

#SurbyComparisons :lol:
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529
    Floater said:

So, Labour voters can ignore the misogeny, the anti semitism and the other poison and general economic madness of Labour ... but Brexit will do them in.

Riiiight.

To be fair in return Tory voters can ignore the xenophobia and Islamophobia, the other poison and the economic madness of No Deal...but brexit will do them in. Right?

Brexit is a deeply felt schism felt by both sides, but I think the Tories will Brexit before a GE, and get punished in that GE.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,025
    The number of Conservative MPs openly advocating a referendum on the deal versus Remain is growing.

https://twitter.com/DrPhillipLeeMP/status/1031142472641069056
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Riiiight.

To be fair in return Tory voters can ignore the xenophobia and Islamophobia, the other poison and the economic madness of No Deal...but brexit will do them in. Right?

Brexit is a deeply felt schism felt by both sides, but I think the Tories will Brexit before a GE, and get punished in that GE.
    What Islamophobia? We have the country's first Muslim Home Secretary!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    It's pretty much impossible to ask a hypthetical question like this without it being leading. If you say, "How would you vote if Labour announced a ban on burned cornflakes" then a chunk of the voters is going to shift to give their opinion on burned cornflakes, even if it isn't really their main motivator.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Hypothetical polling is worthless, even when it isn't carried out for a purpose. I'll always treasure those polls in 2005-7 that said that Gordon Brown would be the most popular Prime Minister ever.
    Foxy said:

Even if Brexit is a disaster, I'm not sure if I agree, for two reasons. Firstly, it depends who voters blame for that disaster, and the Government might be able to shift the blame to the EU. Secondly, voters often look forward rather than backwards in casting their vote.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited August 2018
    Wasn't there a YouGov poll in early 2017 which asked people how they would vote in an election if Labour "supported Brexit", which showed Labour below 20% and actually BEHIND the Lib Dems? And then what happened in the election itself?

What these sorts of hypothetical polls show is that Labour will lose votes if they focus their campaign on Brexit (whether a pro-Brexit or anti- stance), rather than on the "bread-and-butter" issues that they focussed their 2017 campaign on.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Riiiight.

The Home Secretary does not practice any religion, in his own words.

Unless you are saying Islam is a race :)

You may have missed Boris' little article last week.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Hypothetical polling is worthless, even when it isn't carried out for a purpose. I'll always treasure those polls in 2005-7 that said that Gordon Brown would be the most popular Prime Minister ever.

Foxy said:

Even if Brexit is a disaster, I'm not sure if I agree, for two reasons. Firstly, it depends who voters blame for that disaster, and the Government might be able to shift the blame to the EU. Secondly, voters often look forward rather than backwards in casting their vote.
    Nah, Brexit will be hung around Tory necks for a generation. It is full fat retoxification of the Nasty Party.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Theodore Dalrymple (a.k.a. Dr Anthony Daniels) has been writing about the realities of life inside Birmingham Prison for the last 25 years, and for most of that time he was ignored by the mainstream media. Now the problems there are all over the front pages of the papers.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Nah, Brexit will be hung around Tory necks for a generation. It is full fat retoxification of the Nasty Party.
    That view seems to be pronounced most often by people who believe or act as though they believe that detoxification never occurred.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    The poll 'put the Conservatives ahead of Labour by four points in a snap election should the latter adopt an anti-Brexit position, and ahead by nine points if Labour were to pledge to follow through with leaving the EU.'

So the best position for Labour then is surely to continue Corbyn's fudge Brexit given it trails the Tories either by opposing or supporting Brexit?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

What polls ever said Brown would be the most popular PM? He had higher approval than Blair by 2005 but that is not saying much
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    HYUFD said:

The poll 'put the Conservatives ahead of Labour by four points in a snap election should the latter adopt an anti-Brexit position, and ahead by nine points if Labour were to pledge to follow through with leaving the EU.'

So the best position for Labour then is surely to continue Corbyn's fudge Brexit given it trails the Tories either by opposing or supporting Brexit?

Probably, for now. The problem about the poll is that it focuses attention specifically on one issue which is key for more Tories and LibDems than Labour supporters. In practice an election will probably be fought on a variety of issues, some of which will be more helpful to each party than others.

But if it comes down to a crucial Parliamentary vote and the Government loses and calls an election, that might be different!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

The number of Conservative MPs openly advocating a referendum on the deal versus Remain is growing.

There are more Labour MPs like Hoey and Field and Stringer who would back a No Deal v Chequers Deal vote than the handful of Tories like Soubry, Lee and Clarke who would back a Deal v Remain vote.

Wales voted Leave by 1% more than the UK as a whole in 2016
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

More people voted for Brexit than have ever voted for the Tories or Labour at any general election since World War 2.

What an absurd and pointless point. If the Tories did not implement the Brexit the British people voted for then they really would be in trouble to a revived UKIP
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Probably, for now. The problem about the poll is that it focuses attention specifically on one issue which is key for more Tories and LibDems than Labour supporters. In practice an election will probably be fought on a variety of issues, some of which will be more helpful to each party than others.

But if it comes down to a crucial Parliamentary vote and the Government loses and calls an election, that might be different!
    Even then if it wants to win that general election it shows the best position is a fudged Brexit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There are more Labour MPs like Hoey and Field and Stringer who would back a No Deal v Chequers Deal vote than the handful of Tories like Soubry, Lee and Clarke who would back a Deal v Remain vote.
    So we're now just discussing what kind of referendum we'll have?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

That view seems to be pronounced most often by people who believe or act as though they believe that detoxification never occurred.
    I believed the detoxification and I voted Con in 2010 and supported the Coalition.

Even though my MP is a prominent Tory Remainer, I will not be voting for him again.

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited August 2018
    For me there seemed to be a detoxification but the problem for the Conservatives IMO is that a lot of that was about Cameroon so a lot of it went when Cameroon left, probably not helped by it happening around the time of the quite divisive Brexit referendum.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Venezuela crisis: Brazil deploys troops after migrant attacks"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45242786
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    surby said:

Yes, we will vote in twenty years time to Remain outside the EU......
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Riiiight.

In what way was he Islamophobic? Only a small subset of Muslim women wear the burqa.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Fishing said:

Even if Brexit is a disaster, I'm not sure if I agree, for two reasons. Firstly, it depends who voters blame for that disaster, and the Government might be able to shift the blame to the EU.

I think that, whatever happens, the Conservatives will take a hammering over Brexit in the coming years.

Let's imagine that Brexit is generally a splendid success. Here's the problem: we're still due a recession. When the recession comes, whatever its ultimate causes, it will be blamed on Brexit, because that's a lot easier than saying "It's the consequence of successive governments looking to maintain consumer spending levels by encouraging borrowing rather than saving. What we're seeing now is an inevitable normalisation of household savings levels."

Also, even if Brexit is overall a success, there will still be winners and losers. It is human nature to blame your failings on other people, and your successes on your own hard work and intelligence. So, those that benefit from Brexit, will thank themselves. While those who lose out will blame Brexit (and the Conservative Party).

The other problem is that, while a great many people may blame the EU if things don't go to plan, this is a continuum, not a step function. It won't be that everyone blames the EU, and no-one blames the government, it'll be that 60% of people blame the EU, and 40% blame the government. And of that 40%, some will be your voters. It's the inevitable consequence of having been in power a long time - at some point you'll have done something to upset everyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The scenario which leads to Remain on the ballot paper in a referendum is unlikely, but not impossible.

Mrs May comes out and announces that she has reached a deal with the EU, and believe that we should have a "People's Vote" (I hate that nomenclature) to ratify it, and it will be Deal or No Deal.

This passes in the Commons, but the Lord's sends it back with a "Remain" option. The Commons strips this and sends it back up again. And again the Lords adds "Remain". Time is now running out. A number of "more scared of No Deal than Remain being on the ballot paper" MPs in the Conservative Party (and potentially even the DUP) rebel, allowing it on the ballot, perhaps as part of a convoluted AV type vote.

Unlikely? Yes.
    Possible? Yes. I'd make it a 5-10% chance, assuming a decision to hold a second referendum on Deal vs No Deal.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Riiiight.

In what way was he Islamophobic? Only a small subset of Muslim women wear the burqa.
    There is the teensiest possibility that Boris might have been dogwhistling, young Dr.Prasannan.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mrs May comes out and announces that she has reached a deal with the EU, and believe that we should have a "People's Vote" (I hate that nomenclature) to ratify it, and it will be Deal or No Deal.

The chance of May doing a Tsipras is precisely zero. Do you have any idea how badly the country's reputation would be hit by that? You might as well have a referendum with an option to declare war.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Were those polled paying attention last June - Labour backed Brexit and got 32 per cent more than the LDs?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The chance of May doing a Tsipras is precisely zero. Do you have any idea how badly the country's reputation would be hit by that? You might as well have a referendum with an option to declare war.
    Errrr, she might not have any choice.

Let's say she has a deal like Chequers agreed with the EU. Internal polling shows that Remainers will reluctantly accept it, as well as around a quarter of Leavers. The ERG will hate it, and it will be almost impossible to get through parliament given that Corbyn would rather have a General Election than back an EU deal - even if he loved it.

So, she's got a deal she cannot get through parliament. What can she do other than announce a referendum on it? Most MPs will be forced to back it, either because they see electoral advantage to it, they're scared of being seen to oppose the people choosing the form of Brexit, or because handing the decision to voters absolves them of responsibility.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Were those polled paying attention last June - Labour backed Brexit and got 32 per cent more than the LDs?

My former assistant voted Labour to protest against Brexit. She lived in Vauxhall.

Labour's position is brilliant. They appear more pro-EU than the Conservative Party, while being anti-EU enough to hold on to their own Leavers votes.

If Labour decided to make a policy position of being more pro-Brexit than the Conservative Party, then I suspect the polling would be correct. Instead they will always stand just inside the Conservatives: in favour of Brexit, only a kinder, gentler form.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let's say she has a deal like Chequers agreed with the EU. Internal polling shows that Remainers will reluctantly accept it, as well as around a quarter of Leavers. The ERG will hate it, and it will be almost impossible to get through parliament given that Corbyn would rather have a General Election than back an EU deal - even if he loved it.

So, she's got a deal she cannot get through parliament. What can she do other than announce a referendum on it? Most MPs will be forced to back it, either because they see electoral advantage to it, they're scared of being seen to oppose the people choosing the form of Brexit, or because handing the decision to voters absolves them of responsibility.
    By the time it comes to making that decision, No Deal will be less desirable than now (because reality), and Remain will still have an outright majority of support. The referendum she'll propose will be Deal or Remain.

May will remain neutral. Chequers accepters like Gove will back the deal. Boris Johnson will prevaricate and then say Remain is the best option because May has made a mess of it. Remain will win by a landslide. Gove will be happy his reputation is intact, and May will be extremely popular.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

My former assistant voted Labour to protest against Brexit. She lived in Vauxhall.

Labour's position is brilliant. They appear more pro-EU than the Conservative Party, while being anti-EU enough to hold on to their own Leavers votes.

If Labour decided to make a policy position of being more pro-Brexit than the Conservative Party, then I suspect the polling would be correct. Instead they will always stand just inside the Conservatives: in favour of Brexit, only a kinder, gentler form.
    So she voted for Kate Hoey to stop Brexit rather than the pro remain pro second referendum Lib Dem?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

By the time it comes to making that decision, No Deal will be less desirable than now (because reality), and Remain will still have an outright majority of support. The referendum she'll propose will be Deal or Remain.

May will remain neutral. Chequers accepters like Gove will back the deal. Boris Johnson will prevaricate and then say Remain is the best option because May has made a mess of it. Remain will win by a landslide. Gove will be happy his reputation is intact, and May will be extremely popular.
    Remain still does not have a majority as Deltapoll proved today.

May will never put forward a Deal or Remain referendum as she knows she would be toppled straight away. The divisions in the Tory Party now are between Chequers Deal supporters and No Deal supporters, diehard Remainers in the Tories can be counted on one hand. Gove would back the Deal, Johnson would back No Deal, neither would back Remain as the only referendum Tories would allow May to push through would be a straight Deal or No Deal. Remain lost in 2016 and Tories will not allow it to be on the ballot again while they have a Tory PM
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

brendan16 said:

So she voted for Kate Hoey to stop Brexit rather than the pro remain pro second referendum Lib Dem?
    That's correct.

She didn't actually know who her MP was. She just knew Labour was less pro-Brexit than the Conservatives.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a scenario. Just one that I believe is less likely than mine.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

Even if Brexit is a disaster, I'm not sure if I agree, for two reasons. Firstly, it depends who voters blame for that disaster, and the Government might be able to shift the blame to the EU.

I think that, whatever happens, the Conservatives will take a hammering over Brexit in the coming years.

Let's imagine that Brexit is generally a splendid success. Here's the problem: we're still due a recession. When the recession comes, whatever its ultimate causes, it will be blamed on Brexit, because that's a lot easier than saying "It's the consequence of successive governments looking to maintain consumer spending levels by encouraging borrowing rather than saving. What we're seeing now is an inevitable normalisation of household savings levels."

Also, even if Brexit is overall a success, there will still be winners and losers. It is human nature to blame your failings on other people, and your successes on your own hard work and intelligence. So, those that benefit from Brexit, will thank themselves. While those who lose out will blame Brexit (and the Conservative Party).

The other problem is that, while a great many people may blame the EU if things don't go to plan, this is a continuum, not a step function. It won't be that everyone blames the EU, and no-one blames the government, it'll be that 60% of people blame the EU, and 40% blame the government. And of that 40%, some will be your voters. It's the inevitable consequence of having been in power a long time - at some point you'll have done something to upset everyone.
    If the Tories win next time after over a decade in power it will be the Corbyn factor as the Kinnock factor was present in 1992
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a scenario. Just one that I believe is less likely than mine.
    At least we both agree that the political logic for a referendum may be compelling.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The scenario which leads to Remain on the ballot paper in a referendum is unlikely, but not impossible.

This passes in the Commons, but the Lord's sends it back with a "Remain" option. The Commons strips this and sends it back up again. And again the Lords adds "Remain". Time is now running out. A number of "more scared of No Deal than Remain being on the ballot paper" MPs in the Conservative Party (and potentially even the DUP) rebel, allowing it on the ballot, perhaps as part of a convoluted AV type vote.

Unlikely? Yes.
    Possible? Yes. I'd make it a 5-10% chance, assuming a decision to hold a second referendum on Deal vs No Deal.
    If there is a referendum I agree it will be Deal v No Deal and given the next general election is not due until 2022 and we will be in a transition period anyway in all likelihood until 2021 May has time to overrule any Lords prevarications over the question.

The Customs Union vote now proves the current Commons has a majority to enforce the Leave vote and also overrule the Lords even with some a few hardline Remainer Tory MPs, particularly with the DUP and Labour Leave MPs, Remain will not be an option
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Floater said:

Riiiight.

There is the teensiest possibility that Boris might have been dogwhistling, young Dr.Prasannan.
    Might have been?

And am I that young? I'm only 42!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Even without Lords shenanigans, does she have time to do that? The re-referendum scenarios generally assume the rest of the EU grants a time extension, and it's not obvious why they'd want to do that just to give the British voters a chance to dick them around some more.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Even without Lords shenanigans, does she have time to do that? The re-referendum scenarios generally assume the rest of the EU grants a time extension, and it's not obvious why they'd want to do that just to give the British voters a chance to dick them around some more.
    She would only announce it if and when she had the EU's signature on a Deal if she were to announce one at all
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes.

If the Greeks can manage it in three weeks, then so could we.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes.

On the Greek precedent we vote No Deal, the country goes into crisis, and then May revokes Article 50.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes.

On the Greek precedent we vote No Deal, the country goes into crisis, and then May revokes Article 50.
    The Greek precedent would be more like: May's government collapses, new elections, UKIP wins, calls a referendum, No Deal wins, PM Farage revokes Article 50.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited August 2018

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes.

The Greek precedent would be more like: May's government collapses, new elections, UKIP wins, calls a referendum, No Deal wins, PM Farage revokes Article 50.
    Why on earth would Farage revoke article 50?

Edit: Oh, you aren't saying he would, but he would if it were to match what happened in Greece. Sorry!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why on earth would Farage revoke article 50?

Don't blame me, I don't design the realities
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,906
    I can think of two occasions in recent history where the Lib Dems have surged due to outside events:

1) The fuel protests in 2000. This causes a spike in polling for both the Conservatives and the Lib Dems. The effect of having hundreds (thousands?) of petrol stations closed was visible and dramatic to the public.

It also was a very short-lived spike; istr the polling for all three main parties went back to where it had been. Once people no longer saw queues for petrol, the drama had passed and the government could claim credit for fixing the problem.

2) Iraq. This was very different; it did not cause a spike in polling for the Lib Dems (mainly at the expense of Labour), but a slow rise - a surge - that lasted for many years. The government could do nothing to 'fix' the problem.

Note in both of these it was not the excellence of Lib Dem policies that caused people to move to them; it was a reaction to the actions of the party in government - and this is a large part of the reason why the Lib Dems crashed back down in 2010.

So which would this be more like? I don't know. But I would say that the people who shifted allegiance over Iraq might feel more secure in the fact that a supposedly peace-loving man leads labour (*). We just don't know how deep anti-Brexit feelings are.

(*) Hint: he doesn't lead Labour, or love peace.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    There was the LD surge after the first debate in the 2010 GE campaign. They went from low 20s to 30+ overnight.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

There was the LD surge after the first debate in the 2010 GE campaign. They went from low 20s to 30+ overnight.

Thanks. Had forgotten that - 2010 seems such a long time ago, politics-wise ...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Venezuela crisis: Brazil deploys troops after migrant attacks"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-45242786

Has Corbyn expressed any disgust for the depths his friends have taken Venezuela down into?
  • Options
    This poll sounds dubious.

We have already had an election in 2017 where Labour supported Brexit and it did them no harm. At the same election the Lib Dems were the only anti-Brxit party and it made little difference to their vote.

This discussion has been closed.