Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It might not be his objective but the Arron Banks plan makes T

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It might not be his objective but the Arron Banks plan makes TMay’s survival more likely

While LAB has continued its self destructive row on antisemitism the focus has been off the Tories in the past couple of weeks even though the blues are as split as ever over Brexit. Even so TMay might be pleased that all the latest ratings her net figures have her moving up while Corbyn has slipped sharply. Opinium, Deltapoll and YouGov now have her ahead of the Labour leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    edited August 2018
    Boris? Authentic?

He i many things, but he isn't 'authentic'.

Edit: Oh, and thirst.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2018
    Has Banks' involvement also caused a rethink at the Telegraph? Boris features only in its story, Why an ugly mug shows how posh you are
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/ugly-mug-shows-posh/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    The European Commission is still standing behind you, watching, Greece.

And your Economy is 25% smaller than before they stepped in to help. Still, it avoided Grexit - so trebles all round in Brussels....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45243088
  • Options
    Rory the Tory Stewart pledged last week to resign as prisons minister if he can't fix Britain's gaols. A few days later, his boss David Gauke has to take back control of the privatised HMP Birmingham.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-45240742
  • Options

And your Economy is 25% smaller than before they stepped in to help. Still, it avoided Grexit - so trebles all round in Brussels....

Trebles all round in Berlin and Frankfurt more like, as Germany makes no transfer payments yet continues to profit from its artificially low exchange rate at the expense of weaker economies. You'd expect the Brexiteers to be all over this story but they short-sightedly turned it into a morality tale about the perils of left wing governments instead.
  • Options

Rory the Tory Stewart pledged last week to resign as prisons minister if he can't fix Britain's gaols. A few days later, his boss David Gauke has to take back control of the privatised HMP Birmingham.

Rather infantile name-calling there. ;)

But that has was not what Rory Stewart said, was it? He said his targets were for reductions in violence and drugs use. And whilst Birmingham isn't in the list of prisons getting the extra money, at least the problems there are not being ignored.

As he said: judge him by the results.

And if nothing was being done you'd be screeching about how he was ignoring the problem ...

As others have said, it was an interesting move by Stewart.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    I wonder what proportion of 1% of the population would know who Arron Banks is. I'm guessing it would not be high. But he is the classic example of, "with friends like this, who needs enemies?"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Does it change all that much? The world and his cat knows Captain Vainglorious is on manoeuvres. The PCP will already be engaged in contemplating who succeeds May and how to ensure/prevent certain candidates have a good chance.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Remember that the purpose of the Greek bailout program was not to bail out Greece but to bail out EU banks who had been stupid enough to lend to Greece so that they could get a higher return on their money. What Greece actually needed was a substantial default to bring its debt down to a sustainable level. It is currently over 160%. Growing an economy or sustaining services is almost impossible under such a weight of debt where so much of the tax base just pays interest. Its why many of the smarter ones are just leaving.
  • Options

But that has was not what Rory Stewart said, was it? He said his targets were for reductions in violence and drugs use. And whilst Birmingham isn't in the list of prisons getting the extra money, at least the problems there are not being ignored.

And if nothing was being done you'd be screeching about how he was ignoring the problem ...

What name calling? Rory the Tory is what his followers call him, is it not? And Justice Secretary David Gauke is credited in most of the stories, rather than Stewart. If I were being unkind, I'd suggest: first, Stewart knew this was coming when he made the pledge and was deliberately setting himself an easy target; secondly that Gauke (or his press secretary) was not best-pleased by Rory stealing the limelight.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Scott_P said:
    What is the current situation wrt registration of EU nationals?

Without that all schemes are moot, surely?

Are French bankers being asked to register at their local police station yet?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited August 2018
    Former thread. No end state deal will be agreed with the EU until after Brexit. Therefore there can be no referendum about the deal, or debate about it in parliament before we leave the EU. The only question is whether we leave chaotically, or leave with a partial extension that may lead to a deal later on, but we don't know what it is, or we remain in the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1031425299827896320

Is this new? Hadn't we already guaranteed the rights of existing EU migrants?

It also suggests that, as has been argued here, that since no-one in the Establishment actually wants to end FoM or immigration, since they see it as economically beneficial (and the posh folk rather like their cheap Polish plumber and Romanian nanny) the whole question of Freedom of Movement will be covered in fudge. EFoMINO: end FoM in name only. No, it will never catch on.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited August 2018
    https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-anxiety-disorder-britain-middle-class/

Some solace for the underpants on head remainers -your mental breakdown is a completely expect d and common behaviour :)

“In the case of Brexit, instead of assuming that the Leave camp appraised the situation equally well as the Remain camp, and with equally honorable motives, he said, “the goal-conflict and cognitive dissonance has been resolved by assuming that the Leave camp are — typically speaking but always with exception — stupid, ill-informed and ill-intended. The underlying notion seems to be that they should have listened to ‘their betters’ — rather like naughty school children, if only they had ‘paid more attention in class.’”

Corr says the fact that many working-class people have been subject to this attitude for much of their lives “made the kick up the backside of ‘their betters’ all the more enjoyable.””
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Europeans will be granted the right to stay in the UK if there is a no-deal Brexit under a unilateral act by the government.

Theresa May will take the “moral high ground” and allow EU migrants to continue to access the NHS and claim benefits because the rest of her government’s contingency plans for an acrimonious departure from the bloc rely “on the availability of existing labour”.

The offer would apply regardless of whether British migrants in European countries are granted the same rights by the EU, according to The Telegraph. It will be contained in the first tranche of more than 80 papers detailing contingency plans for a no-deal Brexit in different sectors, which the government will publish on Thursday.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/may-takes-moral-high-ground-with-pledge-over-eu-citizens-vqn20mk9n
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Scott_P said:
    Remember about a year ago how everyone was attacking the suggestion that EU migrants would be allowed to stay unilaterally? “It’ll undermine our negotiating position....”
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Remember about a year ago how everyone was attacking the suggestion that EU migrants would be allowed to stay unilaterally? “It’ll undermine our negotiating position....”
    Not the way that I remember it. I think it was always clear that those already here would have the right to remain, even if it was unilateral. The concern was what would happen to Brits abroad and whether they would get reciprocal rights. There was a reluctance to make a legal commitment until that was sorted out which, so far as I am aware, it isn't.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    What is the current situation wrt registration of EU nationals?

Without that all schemes are moot, surely?

Are French bankers being asked to register at their local police station yet?
    With No Deal Brexit 3 million EU citizens lose their work permits on 30 March, becoming illegal immigrants ineligible for banking services, mortgages rent etc. Under hostile environment rules their employers and landlords are criminalized too.

Clearly this is absurd and the timescale is such that 3 million cannot be regulated in 7 months. This is the logic of a blanket amnesty.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Remember that the purpose of the Greek bailout program was not to bail out Greece but to bail out EU banks who had been stupid enough to lend to Greece so that they could get a higher return on their money. What Greece actually needed was a substantial default to bring its debt down to a sustainable level. It is currently over 160%. Growing an economy or sustaining services is almost impossible under such a weight of debt where so much of the tax base just pays interest. Its why many of the smarter ones are just leaving.
    Correct that the purpose of the bailout programme was to protect those too big to fail, which doesn't include Greece itself. However the Greeks effectively default on the bailout money from day one, which is why they are so keen to have the money. No-one is honest about the effective default however. The current arrangement is that Greece pays almost no interest to the EU until 2030 - IMF is different - but will continue to receive transfers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Greeks are pro Euro as they do not want their savings destroyed.

Devaluation has never been a sign of economic success, in Greece or here.
  • Options

What name calling? Rory the Tory is what his followers call him, is it not? And Justice Secretary David Gauke is credited in most of the stories, rather than Stewart. If I were being unkind, I'd suggest: first, Stewart knew this was coming when he made the pledge and was deliberately setting himself an easy target; secondly that Gauke (or his press secretary) was not best-pleased by Rory stealing the limelight.
    The name calling you admit to when you (wrongly, afaiaa) claim that is what his followers call him ..

I look forward to you referring to Corbyn as 'Corbyn the anti-Semite', as some of Labour's followers call him that.

"If I were being unkind" ... I read this, and knowing the target was a Conservative, just knew that you were going to be unkind ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think it was always clear that those already here would have the right to remain, even if it was unilateral. The concern was what would happen to Brits abroad and whether they would get reciprocal rights. There was a reluctance to make a legal commitment until that was sorted out which, so far as I am aware, it isn't.

JRM is happy to throw them under the bus.

Other Brexiteers are less impressed
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I think it was always clear that those already here would have the right to remain, even if it was unilateral. The concern was what would happen to Brits abroad and whether they would get reciprocal rights. There was a reluctance to make a legal commitment until that was sorted out which, so far as I am aware, it isn't.

It is another example of the reluctance of the EU to negotiate about substance. The UK offer of mutual recognition of rights has been on the table for 18 months. But there comes a point when those here really have to know both for themselves and for us. I personally think we should have done this a year ago but I can understand the concern about the lack of an EU response.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Not the way that I remember it. I think it was always clear that those already here would have the right to remain, even if it was unilateral. The concern was what would happen to Brits abroad and whether they would get reciprocal rights. There was a reluctance to make a legal commitment until that was sorted out which, so far as I am aware, it isn't.
    Exactly - and now we have conceded this point without any reciprocation from the EU. Yet another example of Brexiteers overstating the strength of our negotiating position.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is another example of the reluctance of the EU to negotiate about substance.

No

Exactly - and now we have conceded this point without any reciprocation from the EU. Yet another example of Brexiteers overstating the strength of our negotiating position.

Yes

It's another example of Brexiteers not having a clue how the EU works, where the balance of power lies, how dependent we are on migration (Hint: it's a good thing), and how trumpeting banal slogans does not equate to a real negotiating strategy
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    I think that is a silly way to look at it. We have always been clear that we will not use EU citizens as pawns in the negotiations. It is the correct and moral stance. The EU does not feel the same. Well, what did we expect?

But our moral superiority is more than a bit self interested. The 3-4m EU citizens here make a significant contribution to our economy. Some have already left and I am sure that the government does not want that to become a trend. Hence the announcement.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

It is another example of the reluctance of the EU to negotiate about substance. The UK offer of mutual recognition of rights has been on the table for 18 months. But there comes a point when those here really have to know both for themselves and for us. I personally think we should have done this a year ago but I can understand the concern about the lack of an EU response.
    Except that the rights of its nationals are less important to the government than ending freedom of movement, the most important right to those nationals. The government is disingenuous. This has nothing to do with the EU being unwilling to negotiate.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    I think that is a silly way to look at it. We have always been clear that we will not use EU citizens as pawns in the negotiations. It is the correct and moral stance. The EU does not feel the same. Well, what did we expect?

But our moral superiority is more than a bit self interested. The 3-4m EU citizens here make a significant contribution to our economy. Some have already left and I am sure that the government does not want that to become a trend. Hence the announcement.
    Yes, the difference is that there aren't many EU citizens who come here to retire and enjoy the climate.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We have always been clear that we will not use EU citizens as pawns in the negotiations. It is the correct and moral stance.

May has explicitly used EU citizens as pawns throughout.

"That would be an act of calamitous self-harm for the countries of Europe. And it would not be the act of a friend. Britain would not – indeed we could not – accept such an approach."
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I mean I haven't even seen plans for registration. Have I missed it?

And how long do we think those 3m will be given to show their papers? One year? Two?

Until then, until the last EU citizen has been registered then anyone who comes here effectively has complete freedom to stay, etc.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Foxy said:

Greeks are pro Euro as they do not want their savings destroyed.

Devaluation has never been a sign of economic success, in Greece or here.
    Devaluation has, at times, been a cause of economic success.
    I think it would have been better if they'd quit the euro but I can understand why their faith in their domestic politicians was low!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

We want the nurses to stay, but they are leaving. We’re not bothered about the car-washers and they are staying.
    Or so it seems.
    Incidentally I read on a pharmaeutical web-site that yes there are fewer Czech and Spanish pharmacists coming but it appears that the more stringent language requirments are as much of the reason as Brexit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

And how long do we think those 3m will be given to show their papers? One year? Two?

Until then, until the last EU citizen has been registered then anyone who comes here effectively has complete freedom to stay, etc.

I assumed we would be relying upon computerised records of their passport entry and exit to establish their right of residence. Anything else would indeed be overwhelming in the time we have left.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

We have always been clear that we will not use EU citizens as pawns in the negotiations. It is the correct and moral stance.

May has explicitly used EU citizens as pawns throughout.

"That would be an act of calamitous self-harm for the countries of Europe. And it would not be the act of a friend. Britain would not – indeed we could not – accept such an approach."
    Whatever Scott. Your own country can do no right and the EU can do no wrong. It's a peculiar position but we've got it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

I assumed we would be relying upon computerised records of their passport entry and exit to establish their right of residence. Anything else would indeed be overwhelming in the time we have left.
    What computerised record? When I go to Europe I just show my passport.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Your own country can do no right

we've got it.

If only that were true.

We have fucked up Brexit at every turn, but you don't seem to get it.

Maybe one day.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

We want the nurses to stay, but they are leaving. We’re not bothered about the car-washers and they are staying.
    Or so it seems.
    Trained nurses can find work at a reasonable salary anywhere. Car washers can't.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    So
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Or so it seems.
    Trained nurses can find work at a reasonable salary anywhere. Car washers can't.
    Car washers can find work anywhere but not at a reasonable salary!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    @Scott_P - PB's answer to Lord Haw-Haw.
  • Options
    Nah. His 'supporters' make it clear that Corbyn *is* Labour. Therefore anyone who is against him is not Labour, however well and diligently they have served the party in the past.

Therefore Corbyn cannot damage Labour, because he is Labour. Any damage done is automatically not Labour ... :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Your own country can do no right

we've got it.

If only that were true.

We have fucked up Brexit at every turn, but you don't seem to get it.

Maybe one day.
    Oh yeah, you don't get more head-in-the-sand Brexiteer than DavidL. Or, you know , not that.

Point was you get huffy about morals when it applies only to one side, it's like those supposedly pro eu comments you see online and here from people talking about how ruthless the eu is, how they will treat us as an enemy now (yes, some leavers do that too) and all in all make the eu seem a lot worse than it is or claims to be, since it tries to hold the high ground.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    As long as the alternative to May looks like Boris or Mogg and no other candidate polls much better than she does then May stays
  • Options
    I’m looking forward with nterest to the official papers on the prospects of No Deal. Thursday, isn’t it?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Or so it seems.
    That was my point. They need to find a way to earn money at a rate that will keep them comfortably in their own country. They can do that in the UK and that's why they won't leave unless they absolutely have to.

Edit - or there's a major economic collapse that wrecks the economic model they're using, of course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

It’s entirely feasible there are EU citizens in the UK who haven’t left the country in decades (cf Windrush). What about them?
  • Options

I’m looking forward with nterest to the official papers on the prospects of No Deal. Thursday, isn’t it?

Furious Farage Thursday, as it will be known
  • Options
    The nonsense with Banks's statement is that Boris is only authentic insofar as he can be relied upon to put his own personal self-interest first on every occasion.

If we take "authentic" to mean someone driven by actual principles and beliefs, who when acting politically isn't willing to compromise these, then Boris is pretty much the ultimate inauthentic politician.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@Scott_P - PB's answer to Lord Haw-Haw.

Whereas the Brexiteers increasing resemble a combination of Comical Ali and King George III
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The nonsense with Banks's statement is that Boris is only authentic insofar as he can be relied upon to put his own personal self-interest first on every occasion.

If we take "authentic" to mean someone driven by actual principles and beliefs, who when acting politically isn't willing to compromise these, then Boris is pretty much the ultimate inauthentic politician.

He successfully faked authenticity for twenty years.

He has now been seen through.

Corbyn is similarly fake but hasn't yet been seen through by the general public.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr P.

Your negotiating position seems to that we should accept that the EU holds all the cards and we should bend the knee (as they say in GoT). You then accuse Mrs May of negotiating badly when she doesn't concede everything.

I'm not sure that I would ever vote for you as a negotiator. .
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Encouraging entryism costs a few tweets. Guido’s list is of items that cost money.
  • Options
    Apparently the inflation rate in Venezuela now tops 61,000%. They've knocked off five zeroes from the currency.

It can't be far from absolute collapse. Poverty's rampant, inflation means you should buy food at dawn because it'll have reduced your spending power significantly by dusk, unemployment's vast, people are shedding weight because they're starving, the democratic process is a sham, and there's an exodus caused by people desperately seeking food, work, and safety elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    CD13 said:

Mr P.

Your negotiating position seems to that we should accept that the EU holds all the cards and we should bend the knee (as they say in GoT). You then accuse Mrs May of negotiating badly when she doesn't concede everything.

If we’re going with GoT analogies, the Brexiteers are like Stannis Baratheon - an unshakable belief in a false prophecy that leads them to horrendous self-inflicted damage, and a tendency to pick fights against vastly superior opposition.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1031425299827896320

It also suggests that, as has been argued here, that since no-one in the Establishment actually wants to end FoM or immigration, since they see it as economically beneficial (and the posh folk rather like their cheap Polish plumber and Romanian nanny) the whole question of Freedom of Movement will be covered in fudge. EFoMINO: end FoM in name only. No, it will never catch on.
    May has said existing EU migrants can stay but future EU migrants will need a job offer or study place offer to come here under the Chequers Deal.

Of course if it is No Deal then Boris or Mogg likely replace May as Tory leader and PM anyway
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Apparently the inflation rate in Venezuela now tops 61,000%. They've knocked off five zeroes from the currency.

It can't be far from absolute collapse. Poverty's rampant, inflation means you should buy food at dawn because it'll have reduced your spending power significantly by dusk, unemployment's vast, people are shedding weight because they're starving, the democratic process is a sham, and there's an exodus caused by people desperately seeking food, work, and safety elsewhere.

Here’s a thing. Far more Venezuelans are fleeing the country than the number of people trying to get from North Africa to Europe:

https://trib.al/X0kIjHJ
  • Options

Here’s a thing. Far more Venezuelans are fleeing the country than the number of people trying to get from North Africa to Europe:

Quick, send out a leaflet warning that Venezuela (population 31m) is joining the EU...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

He successfully faked authenticity for twenty years.

He has now been seen through.

Corbyn is similarly fake but hasn't yet been seen through by the general public.
    I wouldn't put them in the same category. Corbyn genuinely believes his stuff. His academic record, such as it is, provides more than enough by way of explanation. Boris on the other hand is intelligent, but self-interested and calculating.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, that does make sense. The Venezuelan situation is catastrophic, and (thanks to Merkel) there are already millions who migrated across the Med.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Your negotiating position seems to that we should accept that the EU holds all the cards and we should bend the knee

I merely ask that we negotiate realistically, instead of in the fantasy World inhabited by the Brexiteers.

No deal is not better than a bad deal.

It never was.

Anyone who said it, applauded it or agreed with it, has weakened our ability to negotiate successfully.
  • Options

Not a good advert for socialism. A competent Tory GE campaign would make the most of this.
  • Options
    I don't have much faith in psychologists but a couple of them have recently echoed what I've stated on here (albeit in more technical language).

"According to Corr and Stuart, this emotional response is “standard psychological stuff.” To find solace and some level of security amid the disorder, Remainers are following a well-trodden path to polarized group think, dismissing their social “inferiors” who voted for Brexit as stupid, racist and easily misled."

“the goal-conflict and cognitive dissonance has been resolved by assuming that the Leave camp are — typically speaking but always with exception — stupid, ill-informed and ill-intended. The underlying notion seems to be that they should have listened to ‘their betters’ — rather like naughty school children, if only they had ‘paid more attention in class.’”

"Corr says the fact that many working-class people have been subject to this attitude for much of their lives “made the kick up the backside of ‘their betters’ all the more enjoyable.”
    Stuart agreed that for the traditional liberal elite, the political upheaval happening all around them is likely to be “incredibly anxiety-provoking.”

"Part of the problem for Remainers is that their emotional reaction to Brexiteers makes them feel better, even if it fails to address the fundamental cause of their anxiety. “Trouble is, in the longer term it’s not really doing anything other than keeping us going round in circles, constantly talking about Brexit and winding ourselves up,” he said.

I've suggested we extend sympathy to our Remain colleagues. So, lads, try sitting in a circle with your legs crossed and saying "Hmmmm ….."

• Options
    edited August 2018
    CD13 said:

I don't have much faith in psychologists but a couple of them have recently echoed what I've stated on here (albeit in more technical language).

"According to Corr and Stuart, this emotional response is “standard psychological stuff.” To find solace and some level of security amid the disorder, Remainers are following a well-trodden path to polarized group think, dismissing their social “inferiors” who voted for Brexit as stupid, racist and easily misled."

“the goal-conflict and cognitive dissonance has been resolved by assuming that the Leave camp are — typically speaking but always with exception — stupid, ill-informed and ill-intended. The underlying notion seems to be that they should have listened to ‘their betters’ — rather like naughty school children, if only they had ‘paid more attention in class.’”

"Corr says the fact that many working-class people have been subject to this attitude for much of their lives “made the kick up the backside of ‘their betters’ all the more enjoyable.”
    Stuart agreed that for the traditional liberal elite, the political upheaval happening all around them is likely to be “incredibly anxiety-provoking.”

"Part of the problem for Remainers is that their emotional reaction to Brexiteers makes them feel better, even if it fails to address the fundamental cause of their anxiety. “Trouble is, in the longer term it’s not really doing anything other than keeping us going round in circles, constantly talking about Brexit and winding ourselves up,” he said.

I've suggested we extend sympathy to our Remain colleagues. So, lads, try sitting in a circle with your legs crossed and saying "Hmmmm ….."

Nah. You're overthinking it. I view Leave supporters in the same way I do Labour supporters. Stupid, ill-informed and ill-intended is overdoing it. Just deeply misguided, needy, and naive. Bless them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Not a good advert for socialism. A competent Tory GE campaign would make the most of this.
    And it would have no effect. None at all.

Remember Labour's "don't let him take Britain back to the Eighties?" Similar sort of misfire.
  • Options
    Mr Topping,

Thank you for your understanding.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Topping,

Thank you for your understanding.

Viva Maduro!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Remember Labour's "don't let him take Britain back to the Eighties?" Similar sort of misfire.
    If I remember rightly, wasn't that parodied by the Tories? There are arguments as to why Venezuela might not be a good comparison to make - not least because it's economy is/was more heavily dependent on natural resources, but it would still take some explaining by Labour which is never a good look.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

Nah. You're overthinking it. I view Leave supporters in the same way I do Labour supporters. Stupid, ill-informed and ill-intended is overdoing it. Just deeply misguided, needy, and naive. Bless them.
    We're really not worthy of your condescension.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Or so it seems.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

That was a hillarious misjudgement.

The Tories made their own parody in about 30 seconds
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Or so it seems.
    Remove the right to receive in-work benefits and tax credits from car washers and the hand car wash industry would disappear. How any business can employ three or four guys to clean cars all day for a tenner a time defies all logic. The only explanation I can think of is that the cleaners are set up as self employed working long hours and having a shit salary topped up by tax credits...probably greater than the salary itself.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

If I remember rightly, wasn't that parodied by the Tories? There are arguments as to why Venezuela might not be a good comparison to make - not least because it's economy is/was more heavily dependent on natural resources, but it would still take some explaining by Labour which is never a good look.
    It's more that people don't care about such things. It's a parody most people couldn't really grasp. We're seeing the same thing with Labour's anti-semitism crisis. It's a threat to Corbyn, but that's because it gives ammunition to his internal critics in wave after wave of negative headlines and embarrassing revelations. The public are a bit 'meh.'

Forensic analysis of why his policies are unworkable is what would have throttled him at the last election. His policy on water renationalisation, where he got all his sums wrong, should have dominated the media cycle for days. Or on school funding, where his promised extra funding would have bankrupted the private and shortly thereafter the state sector. These could have finished Labour off.

But the Tories made two very serious errors. They didn't cost their own manifesto, leaving such attacks as they did make ring hollow (and in any case drowned out by the shambles of dementia tax) and they put the one Cabinet Minister who could have made these points forensically and with gravitas in a box in the hope of turfing him out altogether afterwards.

They seem to have made little progress on sorting out these errors. Indeed, they were repeats of errors made in the referendum campaign and the 2015 election.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Off topic, but if anyone wants to make a 10% return on their money in one day, India are 1.1 to beat England in the Test Match.

They're nearly 300 ahead and have eight wickets in hand, should be 1.01 from here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

Or so it seems.
    That was my point. They need to find a way to earn money at a rate that will keep them comfortably in their own country. They can do that in the UK and that's why they won't leave unless they absolutely have to.

Edit - or there's a major economic collapse that wrecks the economic model they're using, of course.
    Remove the right to receive in-work benefits and tax credits from car washers and the hand car wash industry would disappear. How any business can employ three or four guys to clean cars all day for a tenner a time defies all logic. The only explanation I can think of is that the cleaners are set up as self employed working long hours and having a shit salary topped up by tax credits...probably greater than the salary itself.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190

And neighbouring countries are closing their borders to those trying to flee. So now Venezuelans are trapped in a country in appalling conditions, starving, lacking medicines and facing violence from those with power over them.

I am sure the Leader of the Opposition will be protesting about this. I am sure I read somewhere that he is very concerned when desperate people are put in such a dreadful situation.
  • Options

That is of course one thing that will go with Brexit.

But if we're honest, many of the real issues you outline are not about the EU but about the totally shambolic nature of our benefits system, for which both parties share a huge wedge of blame.
  • Options
    I wonder why we're not seeing adverts for aid appeals for Venezuela?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

And neighbouring countries are closing their borders to those trying to flee. So now Venezuelans are trapped in a country in appalling conditions, starving, lacking medicines and facing violence from those with power over them.

I am sure the Leader of the Opposition will be protesting about this. I am sure I read somewhere that he is very concerned when desperate people are put in such a dreadful situation.
    I remember he condemned the opposition in Venezuela for rioting, and when pressed said he condemned anyone who used violence. But he was totally unwilling to specifically condemn Maduro, who differs from Mussolini chiefly in being more violent, more corrupt and less competent.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Off topic, but if anyone wants to make a 10% return on their money in one day, India are 1.1 to beat England in the Test Match.

They're nearly 300 ahead and have eight wickets in hand, should be 1.01 from here.

Don’t think there’s much chance of rain, either!
  • Options
    Mr. 86, perhaps because it's a man-made disaster rather than a natural one?

When Zimbabwe had catastrophic inflation and interest rates of 65,000% about a decade ago, I don't think there were appeals then. For a time, life expectancy was low- to mid-30s for men and women due to rampant AIDS and hardly any food.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

TOPPING said:

CD13 said:

We're really not worthy of your condescension.....
    Not ordinarily, no. You as a Leaver, Nick P as a Labour/Jezza fan. I wouldn't otherwise waste my time trying to make you see the light.

But we are on a political website so that's what we discuss.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    ydoethur said:

But if we're honest, many of the real issues you outline are not about the EU but about the totally shambolic nature of our benefits system, for which both parties share a huge wedge of blame.
    And nothing will be done about it because if the only party who might (the Tories) were to suggest even sensible changes Labour would be instantly accusing them of reintroducing the workhouse and sending children up chimneys etc.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yebbut. When the Leavers got home, it was the dog that was nearest to hand so it was the dog that got kicked.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Or so it seems.

I suspect that a lot of the car washers are not even here legally, coming from non-EU countries and being abused and underpaid by their employers. The supermarkets who enable this should be looked at very carefully by government.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    I'd forgotten about Brexit the Movie.
    Innocent, carefree days they were..
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I wonder why we're not seeing adverts for aid appeals for Venezuela?

I wouldn't send money to Venezuela. It would only end up in Maduro's pocket.

Hugo Chavez impoverished his nation, yet when he died he had assets of US$1 billion. His daughters are rumoured to have $10 billion between them.

Maduro is if anything worse.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

And nothing will be done about it because if the only party who might (the Tories) were to suggest even sensible changes Labour would be instantly accusing them of reintroducing the workhouse and sending children up chimneys etc.
    I thought that those were given! What elsde do the Tories suggest?

Incidentally didn’t someone come on here a while ago complaining that his business supplyoing and repairing car-washing equipment had gone down the river since the Romanians arrived?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Or so it seems.

I suspect that a lot of the car washers are not even here legally, coming from non-EU countries and being abused and underpaid by their employers. The supermarkets who enable this should be looked at very carefully by government.
    I misread that as 'supermarkets should be locked up very carefully by the government.'

Worryingly, it made good sense...
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I remember reading that when Arafat died the total of his estate exceeded the GDP of Palestinian territories.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I've said before that tax credits is perhaps the single most pernicious government policy in my 40 year lifetime. Spending 50bn a year on bribing people with their own money, done in such a way that the half of the country that don't claim aren't aware of what's happening and with no official statistics ever released about it.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr P.

The knee will be disguised as arthritis, but pretty much that's what will happen.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    TOPPING said:

Not ordinarily, no. You as a Leaver, Nick P as a Labour/Jezza fan. I wouldn't otherwise waste my time trying to make you see the light.

Lol, thank you kind sir.

I've never thought it's worth the electrons to try to change minds here (has anyone, ever, changed their position on party support or Brexit as a result of pondering a PB post?) - what's interesting is the areas where we find we agree (or at least are willing to discuss) despite different underlying positions. There are not many sites where people are willing to discuss on that basis, and for me that is PB's central appeal. If we all suddenly became Remainers or Leavers or Boris fans or Corbynites it'd be a bit boring.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    I see Rory is getting a grip at prisons. Birmingham to be bought back under the state.

Why anyone thought privately run prisons was a good idea is beyond me.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/08/20/englands-worst-prison-taken-government-inspection-finds-inmates/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    In a mud wrestle between Banks and Guido most people would be cheering for the mud
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Lol, thank you kind sir.

I've never thought it's worth the electrons to try to change minds here (has anyone, ever, changed their position on party support or Brexit as a result of pondering a PB post?) - what's interesting is the areas where we find we agree (or at least are willing to discuss) despite different underlying positions. There are not many sites where people are willing to discuss on that basis, and for me that is PB's central appeal. If we all suddenly became Remainers or Leavers or Boris fans or Corbynites it'd be a bit boring.
    True. But if we all became Remainers and Conservatives* it would be better for the country.

:wink:

*god only knows who I'd want at the helm of the Conservatives right now, that said.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Lol, thank you kind sir.

No-one, I think changes their mind diametrically; what they may do is nuance their previous position, having reviewed what other people have posted
This discussion has been closed.