Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Farage doesn’t take part in the debates then it will onl

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited October 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Farage doesn’t take part in the debates then it will only make UKIP supporters feel more alienated

The big issue is what they do with Nigel Farage. His party holds no seats at Westminster though it looks set to do very well at Euro2014 and could, indeed, come out as top party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    I'll post strictly on-topic thoughts first, as I imagine most regulars will already know my views on the debates generally.

Farage absolutely should not be there.

We cannot judge a party by its future success because, by definition, we do not know it. We can only judge a party by its past successes. UKIP has a weaker claim, therefore, to participate than the Greens, SNP or Plaid Cymru. Or Sinn Fein, for that matter.

No MPs, and no justification for participation.

On the debates more generally: it is depressing they're going ahead. The worm in particular is a danger to democracy.

The worm is the tracker which a small group (8-12 or so) watching the debates live affect by indicating approval or disapproval for the individual speaking. It was shown in the last election to significantly affect the perception of the wider audience.

It's also wide open to distortion. If a hardcore supporter or opponent of a given candidate gets to participate then they would substantially alter the way the worm went. Furthermore, it's open to groupthink (even if not deliberately provoked) by having individuals 'follow the leader'.

I'm against the debates based on how they went last time, but if they must go ahead the worm should be axed.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I cannot agree. If Farage is there so should every party standing which would kill the debates stone dead. I would take a different view if they had any seats. Surely the Greens have a stronger case based on current representation.
  • Options
    The Tories should want Farage present. He'd have more licence to go for Miliband's Marxist jugular while Dave could just stand there looking statesmanlike and reasonable.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Yes, is the answer to the thread header. Incorrectly, in my view, but they will.

I'm even more strongly against the debates than Mr Dancer and for similar reasons.
  • Options

The Tories should want Farage present. He'd have more licence to go for Miliband's Marxist jugular while Dave could just stand there looking statesmanlike and reasonable.

I think that misses the point - I'd prefer the debates to be serious politics and not an x factor circus.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Morris, I agree with your reasons for why Farage should not be there. It was interesting to note that when Cameron said yes to participating in the Leadership debates, he also suggested that they start earlier and are more spread out so that they don't end up dominating the whole GE campaign.

I'll post strictly on-topic thoughts first, as I imagine most regulars will already know my views on the debates generally.

We cannot judge a party by its future success because, by definition, we do not know it. We can only judge a party by its past successes. UKIP has a weaker claim, therefore, to participate than the Greens, SNP or Plaid Cymru. Or Sinn Fein, for that matter.

On the debates more generally: it is depressing they're going ahead. The worm in particular is a danger to democracy.

The worm is the tracker which a small group (8-12 or so) watching the debates live affect by indicating approval or disapproval for the individual speaking. It was shown in the last election to significantly affect the perception of the wider audience.

It's also wide open to distortion. If a hardcore supporter or opponent of a given candidate gets to participate then they would substantially alter the way the worm went. Furthermore, it's open to groupthink (even if not deliberately provoked) by having individuals 'follow the leader'.

I'm against the debates based on how they went last time, but if they must go ahead the worm should be axed.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Farage should absolutely be there as he is likely to get more votes than the Lib Dems.It would be a mockery of democracy if he isn`t there.

Eventhough he is likely to tear chunks out of Miliband for his Leftist policies.
  • Options
    Miss Fitalass, whilst I agree (if debates must occur) with Cameron's intention I suspect we'll just end up with pre-debate programmes, the debates (OMG!) and then ridiculous levels of post-debate analysis.

Maybe interviews and speeches will play a larger role than last time, though.

Bah.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2013
    The debates were sterile, bland, staged managed, affairs. They might make good tv, they might help political leaders, but how many questions were not coming from activists, pressure groups? How much screening of questions, and audiences went on before hand? If any PBer was there at a Debate, how easy was it to ask a question, and was there the opportunity to ask a supplementary question?

A rerun of a QT format with political leaders isn't entirely a good thing if audiences are bused in partisan supporters. The Gillian Duffy incident with Gordon Brown was more electrifying, one way or another, voters had a better idea what the man was like. That bigoted woman...
  • Options
    Mr. Smukesh, if you really believe that I imagine there are some nice bets you could make with the bookies.
  • Options
    felix said:

I think that misses the point - I'd prefer the debates to be serious politics and not an x factor circus.
    There's little escaping the X-Factor quasi-presidential nature of the debates, which is why they should not go ahead. I don't want the future of the country being decided by whether someone sweats under the lighting or doesn't make enough eye contact or wears a badly chosen tie.

If it's style and appearance politics you want then elect Sarah Jane Mee as Prime Minister and have done with it.

• Options
    Mr. M, I imagine life under the aforementioned lady would be far more pleasant than the present situation.
  • Options

Mr. Smukesh, if you really believe that I imagine there are some nice bets you could make with the bookies.

At the risk of irritating Mike,I do think with Clegg at the helm the Lib Dems are going to have a disaster.Their policy of free school meals has seemingly passed the electorate by.

Maybe they could include Farage in one of the debates as the value of them would be lower without him.
  • Options
    Mr. Smukesh, at the risk of reassuring Mr. Smithson (:p) whilst I think the Lib Dems will suffer generally I expect them to hold onto the majority of what they've got and perhaps spring one or two surprises. I anticipate their MPs declining in number, but not substantially.
  • Options

Mr. M, I imagine life under the aforementioned lady would be far more pleasant than the present situation.

I'd certainly watch more television, that's for sure, and PMQs will be much more exciting.

• Options
    I am expecting the Lib Dems to get around 12-13% of the votes.They`ll lose atleast 20 seats in my view as 11 of their seats are in Scotland and they are likely to suffer a rout there.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited October 2013
    Maybe there should be different debates.

One or two for the main leaders Con/Lab/LD.

Another more "round table" with all parties who have candidates in the majority of the country.

And a Scottish one with Con/Lab/LD/SNP.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    I guess it depends on "what the debates are for?"

If it's for "next PM" then it should be Cameron & Miliband.

If it's "what the parties stand for" then it should be those two plus Clegg, Farage, Salmond, and so forth........

I'd do two "Best PM" and one "Cavalcade of wit & beauty" (sic)
  • Options
    Nick Cohen defends Mehdi Hasan (but not in a good way):

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen/2013/10/who-is-the-greater-hypocrite-mehdi-hasan-or-the-british-left/

There's also a link to a Polly Toynbee article from 1996. Interesting how her style has changed. There's none of the soaring, hyperbolic pseudo-profundities that mark her later efforts; it was all rather plodding, workmanlike and dull.
  • Options
    Mr. Smukesh, Scotland could be very interesting (regardless of how the referendum goes). Miliband is not fantastic and will lose the Brown home advantage, and the Lib Dems have colluded with evil Tories.

MInd you, it could hardly be less interesting than last time. Wasn't the net result identical to 2005?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    IIRC, there were some very strict rules regarding the make up and behaviour of the audiences who participated in the debates? You are right that the debates did end up being overly staged managed to the point of being bland and sterile. The media focus on them also tended to dominant the news agenda, and that really sucked the life out of the rest of the GE campaign towards the end. With a fixed Parliament this time around, it should be far easier to plan these debates over a longer period.
    dr_spyn said:

The debates were sterile, bland, staged managed, affairs. They might make good tv, they might help political leaders, but how many questions were not coming from activists, pressure groups? How much screening of questions, and audiences went on before hand? If any PBer was there at a Debate, how easy was it to ask a question, and was there the opportunity to ask a supplementary question?

A rerun of a QT format with political leaders isn't entirely a good thing if audiences are bused in partisan supporters. The Gillian Duffy incident with Gordon Brown was more electrifying, one way or another, voters had a better idea what the man was like. That bigoted woman...

• Options

Mr. Smukesh, Scotland could be very interesting (regardless of how the referendum goes). Miliband is not fantastic and will lose the Brown home advantage, and the Lib Dems have colluded with evil Tories.

MInd you, it could hardly be less interesting than last time. Wasn't the net result identical to 2005?

Labour should do well again but SNP better than last time gaining from Labour and some from the Lib Dems
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

The debates are scheduled before the election campaign kicks off, to prevent them dominating the election.

Re: Farage
    I believe he says he should be include _if_ UKIP top the 2014 EU elections. That's a national election, and MEPs do control UK Gov't policy.

• Options
    Will the debates be full of shinning wits?

@fitalass any idea where those rules might be found?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Will the debates be full of shinning wits?

@fitalass any idea where those rules might be found?

Here's a Telegraph article saying that there were 80 or so rules to follow. I'll look for a non-paywalled version:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7591272/General-Election-2010-party-leaders-must-follow-almost-80-rules-for-TV-election-debates.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576

Nick Cohen defends Mehdi Hasan (but not in a good way):

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen/2013/10/who-is-the-greater-hypocrite-mehdi-hasan-or-the-british-left/

There's also a link to a Polly Toynbee article from 1996. Interesting how her style has changed. There's none of the soaring, hyperbolic pseudo-profundities that mark her later efforts; it was all rather plodding, workmanlike and dull.

Great article!

"As things stand, the world remains upside down. The left rather than the right defends reactionary religion, as long as the reactionaries do not have a white skin."
  • Options
    Interesting Commons Library briefing paper here which also compares the events to similar debates around the world:

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-05241.pdf
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Looks like Ireland has voted to keep the Seanad...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2013
    IMO a lot of people who don't want Farage to be in the debates secretly fear that if he was there he might come out of it a lot better than the other three leaders.
  • Options
    OGH "It could make UKIP waverers more determined to vote"

Sounds like UKIP should prefer not to be there in that case. Either way - coulda shoulda woulda - Very silly to have representation based on opinion polls, local elections or euro elections - this is a General Election and the key criterion for the main debates should be a realistic prospect of winning. I'd probably limit it to the 2 main contenders with additional secondary debates for the also runnings.
  • Options
    I layed down the correct test here a few years ago, and it sounds like the parties (Tories in particular) will adhere to it.

Only those parties who

i) fight nationally in a UK general election; and

ii) are ministrable

should appear in the debates.

That's the big three and no-one else...
  • Options
    @GeoffM Thanks.

"Members of the audience will then be called to ask pre-selected questions." How is that one worked out likewise this one - "Mr Stewart may also ask the leaders questions which have been emailed in to the programme." Who is doing the pre-selection of the questions - the parties, the tv channels? Why not have questions selected at random from a machine - like the one used in the lottery? Though there is the danger that they get the how big is your membership type question.

The polling organisation ICM was recruited to vet the 200-strong audience to ensure they are strictly representative.They must have been recruited from within “30 mile radius of the host city” according to their gender, age and social class.

Eight out of 10 of them must have “a voting intention at the time of recruitment” (balanced in favour of Labour and Conservative) and the remaining 20 per cent of the audience must be “undecided but politically engaged”.

Interesting notion of balanced.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    If Nigel Farage is included then so must Caroline Lucas be included. She at least is an MP. Perhaps one debate with Cameron v Miliband since these are the only 2 realistic candidates for PM and then another couple with all 5 leaders. However given that both the SNP and PC are likely to elect far more MPs than UKIP and may indeed have a say in the future determination of who becomes PM, there is a strong argument that their leaders should be included long before Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    re Irish Referendum.

A recent tweet.

Stephen C. ‏@cooners1989 2m
    So @endakennytd seeing you didn't get the result you wanted, when will we have to have a second Seanad referendum? #seanref
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    I thought the polls were showing the abolitionists would win.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    They must have polled the wrong people :)
    RobD said:

I thought the polls were showing the abolitionists would win.

• Options
    Mr. Dave, I disagree absolutely. The Euros do not determine the government or prime minister, which is the purpose of debates.
  • Options
    The Fine Gael Labour coalition government proposal was supported by Sinn Féin and was lost by a narrow margin, with 48.3% voting in favour of abolition, with 51.7% against.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24404157
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I'd favour several debates between Miliband and Cameron plus separate ones for the minor parties.
  • Options
    Sorry if this point has been made already but I don't see how UKIP's leader can be excluded from any pre-election debates unless the Lib Dem leader is also excluded (and I'm a Lib Dem member!). The chances of either party winning a majority are about the same, I'd guess (i.e. zero), and excluding Farage but not Clegg on the basis that the Lib Dems are currently in government seems flimsy to me.

I wonder; would it be reasonable to say longer term that the leaders' debates will include Labour, Conservatives and also any other party in government? Maybe, I suppose...

And FPT: Echoing several people's comments earlier today, I'd be far more tempted to de-lurk and actually post every now and then if the atmosphere wasn't so negative. Mind you, it is just a small number of people who (IMO) create that negative atmosphere, and I note tim appears to be banned for a bit...

I'm afraid I can't offer any betting wisdom, though; I'm just someone who's interested in all things political. (I'm also - declaration of interest - a member of the Lib Dems. Yes there are a few of us left!)
  • Options

If Nigel Farage is included then so must Caroline Lucas be included. She at least is an MP. Perhaps one debate with Cameron v Miliband since these are the only 2 realistic candidates for PM and then another couple with all 5 leaders. However given that both the SNP and PC are likely to elect far more MPs than UKIP and may indeed have a say in the future determination of who becomes PM, there is a strong argument that their leaders should be included long before Nigel Farage.

UKIP received more than three times as many votes as the Greens at the last general election.
  • Options
    Mr. Kevin, welcome to pb.com.

I've got to disagree with you (and I'm *not* a Lib Dem member!). Clegg clearly has the strongest case outside the big two for a seat in the debates (although I wouldn't complained if he were thrown overboard).
  • Options
    Welcome! We aren't all bad eggs most of the time, you just have to take the highs with the lows at PB
  • Options

She's not leader of her party though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I've got to disagree with you (and I'm *not* a Lib Dem member!). Clegg clearly has the strongest case outside the big two for a seat in the debates (although I wouldn't complained if he were thrown overboard).

If Nigel Farage is included in the debates, is there any reason not to include George Galloway?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    So various anti-Tories on here want Farage to be included in the debates - quelle surprise I don't think. Anything as usual to damage the Tories GE prospects is the name of their obsessive game. Tories will rightly resist this for the two very good reasons RodCrosby sets out below.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Scott_P said:

If Nigel Farage is included in the debates, is there any reason not to include George Galloway?
    What Party does he lead?
  • Options
    Norm said:

So various anti-Tories on here want Farage to be included in the debates - quelle surprise I don't think. Anything as usual to damage the Tories GE prospects is the name of their obsessive game. Tories will rightly resist this for the two very good reasons RodCrosby sets out below.

How dull.

Has it occurred to you that in the battle for floating voters, it might benefit Cameron to sit in the middle of the spectrum of positions on show, rather than being the 1 'right wing' (ha!) option for the other 2 to paint as extreme.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Mr. Dave, I disagree absolutely. The Euros do not determine the government or prime minister, which is the purpose of debates.

The EU parliament sets UK gov't policy in many/most areas. That's true whoever we elect to Westminster.

That said, including Mr Farage in the debates would lead to appeals from the SNP, Plaid, Greens etc, so I don't think he will be included.

I'm not sure it matters much. If he's excluded the headlines will be 'why wasn't UKIP included', if he's included, he shows up how little difference there is between the policy positions of the Con/Lab/LD parties. It's a UKIP-win either way _IF_ UKIP tops the 2014 EU elections.

• Options
    Norm said:

Not sure about that. Given that Labour coiuld be portrayed as the party of mass uncontrolled immigration (given their alleged record), UKIP might hoover up quite a lot of WWC ex-Labour votes if they had the chance to show their colours on equal terms.

I don't think Farage has any right to be there though. Not until he at least represents a party that might take cabinet posts in a coalition.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Godfrey Bloom - "If you see me with a pint of bitter, it is not a photocall. Nigel [Farage] has lost touch. Poor Nigel. When can he get time to go to the pub and talk to ordinary people? He hasn't had the time to be as in touch with the man on the Clapham omnibus as he did before and that is a problem. He doesn't have anyone listening to how the wind is blowing," Bloom said.

"Some people think I am extremely clever, you know. Nigel is a very charismatic and hard-working leader but he would not pretend for a moment that he could sit down and write policy on quantitative easing."

Bloom claimed a new hierarchy within Ukip had stopped caring about grassroots members and that a person needed to be a "complete sociopath" to be in politics.

"My wife is a little upset," he said. "She rather naively thought you could have friends in politics. I told her not to worry. It's a dirty and disgusting game. I have never been in anything as degrading as politics," he said.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/05/godfrey-bloom-ukip-nigel-farage-lost-touch
  • Options
    Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 5s

Labour 5% lead in post conf Opinium/Observer poll. Lab 36 n/c, Tories 31 (+2) Ukip 15 (-2), Lib Dems 7.

Taken immediately after Tory conf.
  • Options
    On topic, the debate formats will be a problem.

I can't imagine Ed Miliband fancies taking part in debates with two members of the government.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    In principle no, he shouldn't be there. But I can see a political effect of keeping him out.

If the debates go ahead I'd prefer them in a different format - less stiff - and over a longer timescale.

I'd also like them to be on specified topics with some interaction with a balanced 'expert' audience.

Iirc, there were some satellite events that were in more depth/interesting. But as I can't recall the details maybe I'm imagining it.
  • Options
    Carola said:

I'd also like them to be on specified topics with some interaction with a balanced 'expert' audience.

I can think of nothing worse than an opportunity for the 'expert' classes to grandstand and exert undemocratic influence even more than they already do.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. UKIP are coming to town and deserve equality with the other 3 parties before the debating lecturns.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Carola said:

Iirc, there were some satellite events that were in more depth/interesting. But as I can't recall the details maybe I'm imagining it.

There was a chancellor's debate as well I think. With Messrs Cable, Darling, and Osborne.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I can see Mike's point, given current polling, local election results and Euro election results it would be difficult to exclude Nigel Farage. The difficulty is finding a logical justification that would apply to other parties. Not so long ago the BNP did well in the Euro elections and local elections. History now of course, but precedent...

Debates are going to be a fixture, the genie is out of the bottle, the only question is how. With fixed term parliaments there is going to be a longer campaign, so reasonable to spread them out a bit.

I think that including Farage would be adding a Joker to the pack, but am not convinced who would benefit. It could make Dave Cameron appear to be the sensible centre, and appeal to socially conservative Labour voters, or it could adversly impact on the Tory vote.

Farage seems to have a personal dislike of Cameron, I do not know how he thinks of Clegg or Milliband.

There are several other possible upsets: What happens if one of these 4 is not the leader of their party? What happens if the Scots vote for the Union and Salmond wants a place also?
  • Options
    Carola said:

In principle no, he shouldn't be there. But I can see a political effect of keeping him out.

If the debates go ahead I'd prefer them in a different format - less stiff - and over a longer timescale.

There was a Chancellors debates involving Darling, Osborne and Cable on Channel 4 for an hour and a Daily Politics show (IIRC it was a 30 mins show)
  • Options

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 5s

Labour 5% lead in post conf Opinium/Observer poll. Lab 36 n/c, Tories 31 (+2) Ukip 15 (-2), Lib Dems 7.

LD share down 16 percentage points since 2010 but Labour only up 6.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Carola said:

I can think of nothing worse than an opportunity for the 'expert' classes to grandstand and exert undemocratic influence even more than they already do.
    I agree, I can see the danger there. I'm not thinking 'interested parties' as such. Researchers etc? Anyway, I'm sure the wrong choices would be made.

My ideal would be the kind of thing that - AndyJS? - has linked to from days of yore.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited October 2013
    MikeK said:

Be afraid. Be very afraid. UKIP are coming to town and deserve equality with the other 3 parties before the debating lecturns.

MkeK

I don't think the issue is party poltical.

I understand Farage in dispute with the BBC over their proposed ban on drinking and smoking during the debates.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Interesting comments, but are we just considering GB or the UK which includes N Ireland? If we say only parties that are putting up candidates in all parts of the UK qualify, then that eliminates most of the parties except the Cons who put up some candidates in N Ireland (in alliance with the UUP) last time (that alliance now dissolved)?

So, we must be talking about GB and that would leave 4-5 parties that may be fighting all 'countries' of GB. So do we wait for the 2013 Referendum and the 2014 EUs.?

Certainly any debates should be much earlier and before the two months that precede the election to allow anything similar to the 2010 Cleggasm to dissipate in the same way that the effects of the political Conferences are allowed to disappear from the Polls.
  • Options
    @anotherDave @TSE

Yes, that was one.
  • Options
    Well having the three in the prime ministerial debate is just fine, since they all have potential to be PM. Either Ed or Dave will be PM, with Clegg standing in when either go on holiday!
  • Options

Thanks for the welcome :) So what would you say is the case for Clegg being in the debates, but Farage not? I can sort of see RightChuck's point about the potential for having cabinet posts in a coalition but that feels pretty open to differing interpretations and thus lengthy arguments, cries of 'unfair' etc. ISTM some more objective method of determining who gets an invitation would be preferable, but as for what that might be...
  • Options

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 5s

Labour will be disappointed with that poll. The heroics of the great Dacre slayer himself have been greeted by a resounding shrug. It could be worse though. Having Campbell on the loose might have chopped off a few points from bad memories alone.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Interesting comments, but are we just considering GB or the UK which includes N Ireland?

NI has been a special case since 1974. The three big parties could put up candidates there if they chose to, but they usually don't. In any case, each mainland party has formed a loose alliance with a party which does put up candidates there...
  • Options
    One way of placating Farage and cheering up viewers might be to have an UKIP only debate:

Farage vs. Bloom vs. Sked
  • Options
    Avery

I think you're wrong to exclude oil & gas from the trade and other economic numbers.

The existence of North Sea Oil had a knock on effect on other parts of the economy, particularly manufacturing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_disease

What is worthy of investigation is why the rundown of North Sea Oil during the last decade did not result in a corresponding shift back towards manufacturing in the UK.

Perhaps because both Labour and the Conservatives thought the economy could be built upon government spending, financial services, rising house prices and personal consumption.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Financier said:

Interesting comments, but are we just considering GB or the UK which includes N Ireland?

NI has been a special case since 1974. The three big parties could put up candidates there if they chose to, but they usually don't. In any case, each mainland party has formed a loose alliance with a party which does put up candidates there...
    So similarly, should not Wales and Scotland be special cases as the SNP and PC do not put up candidates outside their own territories and just have their own debates as previously?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    O/T:

Interesting Prospect article about someone who's been living in China for 16 years but has finally fallen out of love with the country:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/mark-kitto-youll-never-be-chinese-leaving-china/

"You’ll never be Chinese: why I’m leaving the country I loved

Death and taxes. You know how the saying goes. I’d like to add a third certainty: you’ll never become Chinese, no matter how hard you try, or want to, or think you ought to. I wanted to be Chinese, once. I don’t mean I wanted to wear a silk jacket and cotton slippers, or a Mao suit and cap and dye my hair black and proclaim that blowing your nose in a handkerchief is disgusting. I wanted China to be the place where I made a career and lived my life. For the past 16 years it has been precisely that. But now I will be leaving.

Don’t you think, with all the growth and infrastructure, the material wealth, let alone saving the world like some kind of financial whizz James Bond, that China would be a happier and healthier country? At least better than the country emerging from decades of stultifying state control that I met and fell in love with in 1986 when I first came here as a student? I don’t think it is."
  • Options

Avery

I think you're wrong to exclude oil & gas from the trade and other economic numbers.

The existence of North Sea Oil had a knock on effect on other parts of the economy, particularly manufacturing:

What is worthy of investigation is why the rundown of North Sea Oil during the last decade did not result in a corresponding shift back towards manufacturing in the UK.

Perhaps because both Labour and the Conservatives thought the economy could be built upon government spending, financial services, rising house prices and personal consumption.

In general manufacturing did not return to the UK as we were still outpriced and in fact we actually closed some manufacturing plant which was exported to set up new businesses in BRIC countries.

• Options
    Norm said:

And quelle surprise Easterross and fitalass don't want him there etc etc etc etc etc etc

Everything the party leaders demand will be based only on what they think will benefit them as will everything that their cheerleaders will parrot here.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Avery

us

ar

I am not sure I am arguing that oil & gas should be excluded from a review of trade figures, jut that we need to see separate sets of figures in order to avoid the impact of oil and gas swamping underlying trends. A bit like the need for us to see both PSND and PSND ex figures to get a good picture of public sector debt.

The Oil & Gas industry will argue that, even with decline in extraction, the core industry stimulates growth in associated and contingent activities. Last time I looked at the figures, I noted that the UK still refines more than it extracts and remains a net exporter in this sector,

But I think your general point about Dutch disease is correct, The combination of easy oil and gas extraction revenues; the growth in the UK's dominance in financial services; and, the manufacturing threat from China probably led the politicians of the late nineties and early noughties to believe that the UK could afford to allow its manufacturing sector to decline.

Recovering lost capacity and markets will be difficult and require careful targettng of resources at industries where we can build and sustain a competitive advantage. It will still be a long journey back.

But if Dutch disease is to be avoided wouldn't it be better for George to remain at the 'elm?

• Options
    Financier said:

Avery

In general manufacturing did not return to the UK as we were still outpriced and in fact we actually closed some manufacturing plant which was exported to set up new businesses in BRIC countries.

Nor did it get a £100bn subsidy evey year as government spending and household consumption received or a mass bailout as financial services did.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2013
    AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

MkeK

I understand Farage in dispute with the BBC over their proposed ban on drinking and smoking during the debates.

I'm sure that Farage can get on very well with just a glass of water in his hand; as long as he doesn't splash it in cammo's face. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

MkeK

I'm sure that Farage can get on very well with just a glass of water in his hand; as long as he doesn't splash it in cammo's face. :D
    Throwing a glass of water? Isn't that a bit girly, Mike?

What happened to bare knuckles?

Still I suppose it would be better than whinging to the audience about being insulted and demanding Cameron set up an inquiry into the customs, ethics and practices of the Tory party.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    I think ultimately policy & outlook/narrative will be more important in whether UKIP-sympathisers feel happy voting Tory, and therefore Farage's exclusion will do more good than harm.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Avery

us

ar

I am not sure I am arguing that oil & gas should be excluded from a review of trade figures, jut that we need to see separate sets of figures in order to avoid the impact of oil and gas swamping underlying trends. A bit like the need for us to see both PSND and PSND ex figures to get a good picture of public sector debt.

The Oil & Gas industry will argue that, even with decline in extraction, the core industry stimulates growth in associated and contingent activities. Last time I looked at the figures, I noted that the UK still refines more than it extracts and remains a net exporter in this sector,

But I think your general point about Dutch disease is correct, The combination of easy oil and gas extraction revenues; the growth in the UK's dominance in financial services; and, the manufacturing threat from China probably led the politicians of the late nineties and early noughties to believe that the UK could afford to allow its manufacturing sector to decline.

Recovering lost capacity and markets will be difficult and require careful targettng of resources at industries where we can build and sustain a competitive advantage. It will still be a long journey back.

But if Dutch disease is to be avoided wouldn't it be better for George to remain at the 'elm?

A big spin-off of the N Sea Oil and Gas is Subsea Technology for which the UK is now one of the world leaders. This will have applications beyond oil and gas and especially in in subsea mining and mineral recovery.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    AndyJS said:

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 5s

(Up 7, I think, from 29.1%.) Similarly UKIP up 12(?) points, Conservatives down 5 points.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Financier said:

AveryLP said:

ar

A big spin-off of the N Sea Oil and Gas is Subsea Technology for which the UK is now one of the world leaders. This will have applications beyond oil and gas and especially in in subsea mining and mineral recovery.
    A big argument for the private sector and free capital markets.

Neil make a comment about the nationalisation of UK air traffic control a few weeks ago which got me rooting around the internet to find NATS's website. Apart from being a very well designed site it showed how privatising a public sector service and enabling it to access capital markets can lead, under good management, to great entrepreneurial development and export opportunity.

Would that our skills in, say, health services could follow the same route.

• Options
    £12 million? no clearer evidence that in London there are plenty of people with more money than sense.

Whoever is selling and getting out is the clever one.
    SeanT said:

Financier said:

Avery

Nor did it get a £100bn subsidy evey year as government spending and household consumption received or a mass bailout as financial services did.
    Hey, I know you love London so much, especially my witterings about local property prices - now you can move here and join in. This house is on sale, literally four doors down from mine, on Delancey St; I overlook it from my bedroom window.

It's got four beds, or maybe five at a push, and a small patio-cum-garden

And it's a SNIP at £12,000,000

http://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbsjrssts120060
  • Options
    Avery,

I have been a bit busy the last day or so. Did you give an answer to which Tory PM presided over a quarterly GNP contraction of 2.5%?

We know Gordon managed it, but who was the other?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Financier said:

AveryLP said:

ar

snip

Neil make a comment about the nationalisation of UK air traffic control a few weeks ago which got me rooting around the internet to find NATS' website. Apart from being a very well designed site it showed how privatising a public sector service and enabling it to access capital markets can lead, under good management, to great entrepreneurial development and export opportunity.

Avery

UK is also a world leader in areas concerning nanotechnology and especially in molecular-thin structures such as graphene. In the sphere of health we are maintaining our lead in DNA technology and the future elimination of medicines towards cell structure modification and substitution to prevent disease.

We are currently working with a spin-off of the Cavendish Laboratory on thin film and screen technology that will bypass LCD screens.

There are plenty of new ideas that needs good UK scientists and plenty of venture finance. However, they will never be huge employers.
  • Options
    We already do, BUPA makes most of its money overseas now.

We also provide our NHS services to a diverse range of international customers here in Leicester, and do make a few bob on the ones who pay before skipping town.
    AveryLP said:

Financier said:

AveryLP said:

ar

Neil make a comment about the nationalisation of UK air traffic control a few weeks ago which got me rooting around the internet to find NATS's website. Apart from being a very well designed site it showed how privatising a public sector service and enabling it to access capital markets can lead, under good management, to great entrepreneurial development and export opportunity.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited October 2013
    Ed Miliband and David Cameron have both enjoyed big boosts to their approval ratings in the wake of their conference speeches although Labour still has a 5% lead, a new Opinium/Observer poll shows.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/05/miliband-cameron-approval-ratings-poll
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "The big issue is what they do with Nigel Farage. His party holds no seats at Westminster though it looks set to do very well at Euro2014 and could, indeed, come out as top party.

It has said that it will be contesting all seats and its polling continues to be very strong. It is also doing very well in council by-elections picking up the odd seat and chalking up 20-25% vote shares."

It will all depend om the salience of the issues the kippers do well on as well as their level of support at that time.

Should something about Europe or immigration blow up into a huge issue around the time of the election campaign Farage will be wall to wall on the media and impossible to ignore regardless of the debates.

If the kippers are still polling as well come the election campaign then it also won't make a great deal of difference if Farage is in the debates or not. Cameron himself knows he has to push the kippers way, way down from where they are now.
    General Election 2010: Ukip challenge 'cost Tories a Commons majority'

The UK Independence Party's small but significant showing at the polls may have cost David Cameron a majority in the Commons, voting figures suggest.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/7693877/General-Election-2010-Ukip-challenge-cost-Tories-a-Commons-majority.html
    That analysis is debatable but what isn't is that more than a few tories believed it and Farage won't have to put on many more percent from 2010 to place Cameron in deep trouble.
  • Options
    So Ed's ratings have gone from minus 29 to minus 21

Dave's ratings have gone from minus 17 to minus 10
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Avery,

I have been a bit busy the last day or so. Did you give an answer to which Tory PM presided over a quarterly GNP contraction of 2.5%?

We know Gordon managed it, but who was the other?

An odd one, Dr. Sox.

Q2 1958 with Macmillan as PM. The two quarters either side both had above trend postive growth of 1.7% and 2.2% respectively.

I don't know whether it was a statistical anomaly or a response to an event.

• Options
    QT includes parties which have representation in the European Parliament, London, Scottish or Welsh Assemblies or at Westminster, on that basis there could be a spot in at least 1 debate for Lucas, Farage, Galloway etc.
  • Options
    Time for a Russian joke (no doubt there are a few Ruskis looking at it too)

Boris and Ivan, two Russian "businessmen" are talking in a nightclub:

Boris: "Hey, Ivan, get a load of my new Jacket!, it cost me US$ 2000"

Ivan: "Boris, you should have spoken to me first, I know where you can get the exact same jacket for US$ 4000!"

SeanT said:

£12 million? no clearer evidence that in London there are plenty of people with more money than sense.

SeanT said:

Financier said:

Avery

Hey, I know you love London so much, especially my witterings about local property prices - now you can move here and join in. This house is on sale, literally four doors down from mine, on Delancey St; I overlook it from my bedroom window.

I tend to agree, though it is clearly a special property, with a special history. Apparently several movie stars/comedy stars are being shown around.

Piquantly it is a few doors up from the house where Dylan Thomas lived - and he hated Camden. But then, of course, it was a slum.

Now? If a house on my street can sell for TWELVE MILLION we can safely say that Delancey St, and this airy part of upper Camden, has totally ARRIVED.

In your face, Islington. Eat crow, Fitzrovia.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited October 2013
    SMukesh said:

At the risk of irritating Mike,I do think with Clegg at the helm the Lib Dems are going to have a disaster.
    The lib dems wish things were going so well for them that the only thing they had to worry about is Clegg trying to make promises again to the electorate at the debates, to scornful laughter.

They're having a disaster right now and have been every year their activist base and membership get's smashed to ever lower numbers.

No party is going to do well without the usual support from their activist base at elections to drive the campaign on the ground with the GOTV operations and heavy marginal campaigning.

It's why such things as conferences matter even though the public at large obviously doesn't care a great deal about them. If you can't fire up that base don't expect what is left of them to turn out in huge numbers at local elections, EU elections or the GE itself.

• Options
    Grandiose said:

AndyJS said:

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 5s

(Up 7, I think, from 29.1%.) Similarly UKIP up 12(?) points, Conservatives down 5 points.
    Opinion polls are always for GB excl. NI. The GB result in 2010 was Con 36.9%, Lab 29.7%, LD 23.6%, UKIP 3.3%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

QT includes parties which have representation in the European Parliament, London, Scottish or Welsh Assemblies or at Westminster, on that basis there could be a spot in at least 1 debate for Lucas, Farage, Galloway etc.

I like the idea of QT precedent you've got going here. That means that at least one of the leaders debates also has to feature David Starkey or Melanie Phillips :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Time for a Russian joke (no doubt there are a few Ruskis looking at it too)

Boris and Ivan, two Russian "businessmen" are talking in a nightclub:

Boris: "Hey, Ivan, get a load of my new Jacket!, it cost me US$ 2000"

Ivan: "Boris, you should have spoken to me first, I know where you can get the exact same jacket for US$ 4000!"

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Financier said:

Avery

I tend to agree, though it is clearly a special property, with a special history. Apparently several movie stars/comedy stars are being shown around.

Piquantly it is a few doors up from the house where Dylan Thomas lived - and he hated Camden. But then, of course, it was a slum.

Now? If a house on my street can sell for TWELVE MILLION we can safely say that Delancey St, and this airy part of upper Camden, has totally ARRIVED.

In your face, Islington. Eat crow, Fitzrovia.
    I once spent the early hours of the morning in an obscure nightclub in the suburbs of Tallinn.

I was with two Muscovite business colleagues and we clearly stood out as strangers among the local mafiosi.

Eventually a young scout was sent over to see us off. He sat down at our table, opened his jacket and pointed to the label inside. "Hugo Boss" he exclaimed.

As a reporter on the much missed News of the World might have said: "We made our apologies and left".
  • Options
    edited October 2013

True story: when I was in the Maldives a hotel manager at the W said when they opened in 2009 they had just two customers: a beautiful young Russian couple on honeymoon. The couple demanded special VIP private treatment even though they were the only customers.

The hotel tried to explain that they were literally the only guests in a brand new hotel so it couldn't get any more special or private, but the Russians were unhappy.

Perplexed, the hotel manager rang their minder in Moscow, and he said "oh, just double the price, that's what they want" - so they did, and the couple were content that they were being specially treated.

At the end the couple paid IN CASH. The bill was $200,000. For a fortnight. The hotel was so new they didn't have a mechanical bill counter, so they had to get three local girls to stay up til 4am counting the dollar notes.

Russia Today.
    Sounds like the same phenomenon where people think a bottle of wine costing £20 is twice as good as one costing £10, even if it's actually the same type.
  • Options
    GeoffM Indeed, although Beppe Grillo has shown that even the token QT comedian could stand for election
This discussion has been closed.