Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Be thankful you are not a LAB party press officer having to ma

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Be thankful you are not a LAB party press officer having to make excuses for the leader day after day

Why the latest on Corbyn and Jewish people is different – good from @Dannythefink https://t.co/3LY6vpDWNg

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    Jezza is lucky that certainly sections of the media seem tired / uninterested in really going for this story. Where as nick an offensive gag out the guardian and it leads the headlines for 7 days straight.
  • Options
    I gave Corbyn the benefit of the doubt on antisemitism. I can’t any more. The Labour leader’s comments about ‘Zionists’ in a 2013 speech were unquestionably antisemitic

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/24/jeremy-corbyn-antisemitism-labour-zionists-2013-speech
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Third. Like Corbyn deserves to come in the next General Election.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I take issue with the headline. As a lawyer, you worry having the good cases because there’s always a risk you’ll mess it up at worst and just achieve the par outcome at best. But if you can win a bad case, then you’ve made a real difference for the client.

Labour’s press officers are getting every opportunity to make a real difference for their client.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    surby said:
    What does that even mean?
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Or fourth - if only! :D
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    I do wonder whether this story (i.e. the whole Labour-antisemitism thing) has run about as far as it can. Those committed on both sides either dismiss or confirm their bias; those in the middle discount and ignore. And ultimately, while we should be horrified by this kind of behaviour in a major party, it's not of itself going to shift many votes.

Where the big impact might come is among Labour MPs. Mike is right about press officers but they're there to do what they're there to do. MPs, on the other hand, don't have the same obligation to defend Corbyn. Much more like this and we'll again see either open revolt where many MPs simply disown Corbyn as their leader, as in 2016, or even an outright split.
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227
    RobD said:

surby said:
    A f***ing racist!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:
    A f***ing racist!
    I thought he was regarded as the moderate candidate.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    surby said:
    Scott Morrison was immigration minister in Abbott's 'Stop the Boats' campaign and is certainly less globalist liberal than Turnbull, however he is also not as hard right as Peter Dutton would have been had he won the leadership and become PM
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623
    New Statesman:

But the remarks about irony are the ones that will cause real difficulty. The remark that despite “having lived in this country for a very long time, probably all their lives, they don’t understand English irony either”, carries with it the implication that most British Jews are not properly British despite having lived in – and in most cases been born in – the UK. Even if just applied to the specific group of people targeted in the speech, it still involves describing those specific people in a way that implies they are not properly English or British despite having lived here for all or most of their lives, which will obviously upset anyone who feels they have a commonality with the people described in that matter.

It’s hard to see where Labour goes from here.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2018/08/jeremy-corbyn-anti-semitism-remarks-british-zionists-offensive
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Mr. Urquhart, well, quite.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    I see jezza can add David Duke to the list of admirers. He thinks he is absolutely right about these Zionists lack of knowledge of history.
  • Options
    High BMI = Brexit Majority Indicator
  • Options
    I’ve heard enough times from the far right/Tommy Robinson that I can’t be British because my loyalties lie towards Mecca.

Labour must be so proud.

Next Corbyn’s team will be using the line that the absolute boy cannot be a racist because Judaism/Zionism isn’t a race.

It’s the same line the far right make when they say Islam isn’t a race.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    On the last thread we have had a inquest of why people voted brexit ,why don't we have a debate on here why very many remainers are the unhappy lot and just want to insult.

No matter how angry you get,we are still leaving the EU.

• Options

I do wonder whether this story (i.e. the whole Labour-antisemitism thing) has run about as far as it can. Those committed on both sides either dismiss or confirm their bias; those in the middle discount and ignore. And ultimately, while we should be horrified by this kind of behaviour in a major party, it's not of itself going to shift many votes.

Where the big impact might come is among Labour MPs. Mike is right about press officers but they're there to do what they're there to do. MPs, on the other hand, don't have the same obligation to defend Corbyn. Much more like this and we'll again see either open revolt where many MPs simply disown Corbyn as their leader, as in 2016, or even an outright split.

I am a natural Tory voter but am open to arguments. I voted for Labour in 97 because I believed that the Conservative government was exhausted, that the Left had won a lot of the arguments on what the state should do and Blair didn't seem to be likely to go mad on how to pay for it.

I am the type of person Labour need to convince in the marginals. This antisemitism issue makes me believe that the heart of Labour has been corrupted by a real force for evil.

With Corbyn et al in charge, I would never ever vote Labour, no matter how bad the Conservatives get. I know others who feel the same.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Good sized portions up here :)
  • Options

On the last thread we have had a inquest of why people voted brexit ,why don't we have a debate on here why very many remainers are the unhappy lot and just want to insult.

I’m not angry I’m amused at how naïve some Leavers are about Brexit (cf Mr Isaby)

They don’t seem to realise if Brexit turns into a pooh show there’s a chance we’ll Rejoin.

Then the anger from Leavers will be fun.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:
    Scott Morrison was immigration minister in Abbott's 'Stop the Boats' campaign and is certainly less globalist liberal than Turnbull, however he is also not as hard right as Peter Dutton would have been had he won the leadership and become PM
    This

ScoMo is hugely progressive compared to PDutty
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

How can you be "in the middle" about this? We are now - something I never thought I would say in this country - at a point on the road which led to Auschwitz. Not very far down, perhaps, but given the destination I don't think "not very far" begins to justify any response about Godwin, hodgecomparisons, LOL and so forth. I hope this will filter through to those in the middle, and they won't be in the middle any longer.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited August 2018

Remainers have many legitimate gripes.

* The sheer cosmic incompetence of those implementing Brexit. It does not inspire confidence. Brexiteers do not take responsibility.
    * The fact that the hard Brexiters said something before the vote and something different after. The idea that we must be outside the CU and SM came after the vote. There has been no effort to accommodate views of the 48%. It's all thin end of the wedge. There is no trust.
    * All the barbs about being traitors, Remoaners, citizens of nowhere and much worse.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,239
    edited August 2018
    RobD said:

surby said:
    Maybe that they will no longer take part in the Eurovision Song contest?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I expect a few fat wealthy graduates voted Remain.

However the Leave vote was also a protest vote against the rich, thinner, wealthy, graduate elite based mainly in London and the Corbyn vote was too to a lesser degree.

The thinnest people tend to be the AB upper middle class on average and they were the only class to vote for Remain and to vote Tory as they are largely content with their lot. People often overeat as comfort food to compensate for lack of contentment elsewhere in life
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

I’ve heard enough times from the far right/Tommy Robinson that I can’t be British because my loyalties lie towards Mecca.

Labour must be so proud.

Next Corbyn’s team will be using the line that the absolute boy cannot be a racist because Judaism/Zionism isn’t a race.

When I was much younger I used to hear from some people that Catholics couldn’t be properly British because they were somehow “foreign” and owed their loyalty to the Pope. I had’t heard that for a while until quite recently.

It is scapegoating of unpopular minorities. But according to @NickPalmer we should not be worried because Labour represents the cultural zeitgeist and not the nasty racism of previous decades. He was talking garbage, of course.
  • Options

Labour must be so proud.

I thought your loyalties lie towards Selfridges......
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

I’m not angry I’m amused at how naïve some Leavers are about Brexit (cf Mr Isaby)

They don’t seem to realise if Brexit turns into a pooh show there’s a chance we’ll Rejoin.

Even second referendum ,a tail between the legs rejoin with all the power with the EU and still no answers for the leavers.

Good luck with that.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Labour must be so proud.

When I was much younger I used to hear from some people that Catholics couldn’t be properly British because they were somehow “foreign” and owed their loyalty to the Pope. I had’t heard that for a while until quite recently.

It is scapegoating of unpopular minorities. But according to @NickPalmer we should not be worried because Labour represents the cultural zeitgeist and not the nasty racism of previous decades. He was talking garbage, of course.
    Isn't that what Eagles says about JRM?
  • Options
    John McCain has ceased treatment for brain cancer, so sadly, he must be about to die.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Islam isn't a race. That doesn't make anti-Muslim bigotry acceptable. It's important to define properly what's going on. The term Islamophobia is disliked by many because it conflates anti-Muslim prejudice and discrimination with mockery, insult, and questioning of an idea (namely Islam). This is particularly relevant given inaction by the authorities over 'cultural sensitivity' in Rotherham, and elsewhere, and the attempt at imposing by violence a de facto blasphemy law with the terrorist attack against Charlie Hebdo.

This might have changed because it's a while ago I learnt it, but Sikhs and Jews are considered both an ethnic and religious description in law, presumably because of the inherited status (this applies to orthodox Jews, I think other denominations permit conversion to the religion). It's also why Disraeli and Ed Miliband are described as Jewish political leaders despite the former converting to the Anglican Church and the latter being an atheist.

If someone's discriminating against another on the basis of their religious position (Muslim, in this instance) that's unacceptable. If someone's taking the piss out of a religion (in this case Islam) that's absolutely fine. Blasphemy laws cannot and must not be imposed upon non-believers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,265
    FPT:
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Plenty of Home Counties seats, particularly in Kent and Essex and Berkshire and Hertfordshire voted Leave as did a number of Outer London seats."

Quite a few swivel-eyed Col Blimp types in those areas I guess, more is the pity.

It was lower middle class and working class voters seeing stagnant wages and high rents and unaffordable house prices that were the key to the Leave win
    The older demographic that voted for Brexit were by and large the beneficiaries of the transfer of wealth caused by rising property prices.
    The median voter who voted for Brexit was 45 to 50.

It was not pensioners who got Leave over 50%, it was lower middle class and working class middle aged voters
    Link to justify that stat??

As I recall, the age at which majority-remain turns into majority-leave was around 45-50. Which would put the median age of the leave voter above 50. Further, the median age of the entire electorate is 46, and leave voters are clearly above the median since remains are below.
    45 to 54 year olds voted 56% Leave 44% Remain.

35 to 44 year olds voted 55% Remain 45% Leave.

Given the UK voted 52% Leave 48% Remain we can safely say the median voter who won the referendum for Leave was 45 to 54 and of working age

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2016-eu-referendum
    If you think this makes sense, you really don't understand statistics.

What you have estimated is the median age for the whole electorate - which I have already given you.

The median age for the leave voting segment will clearly be higher.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

John McCain has ceased treatment for brain cancer, so sadly, he must be about to die.

Will trump manage not to tweet something insensitive?
  • Options

Labour must be so proud.

Islam and Christianity aren't races, though I accept they are often bywords for white and brown coloured skin (which is completely incorrect but can be what the speaker tends to be getting at - therein can lie the racism).

Judaism I'd argue is a bit different, Ed Miliband say is almost always described as Jewish rather than atheist. It's probably the most ethnically homogenous (By virtue of being numerically tiny compared to the other big two, Christianity and Islam) of the Abrahamic religions.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

The other possible impact might be if there is a terror attack targeted on Jews, which is not impossible. There have already been some attempts. Then the question of where anti-semitic words might lead and who has been saying or facilitating or justifying or approving such words could become very pertinent indeed.

• Options
    Being seen as favouring Muslims over Jews isn't going to be a game changing vote loser for Corbyn any more than being seen to be anti immigrant was for Leave. The only people horrified are those who want him out anyway. His supporters will frame it as him sticking up for the little guy.

"One mans freedom fighter is another's terrorist..."

• Options
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Ishmael_Z said:

How can you be "in the middle" about this? We are now - something I never thought I would say in this country - at a point on the road which led to Auschwitz. Not very far down, perhaps, but given the destination I don't think "not very far" begins to justify any response about Godwin, hodgecomparisons, LOL and so forth. I hope this will filter through to those in the middle, and they won't be in the middle any longer.
    Those in the middle are those who don't pay much attention to politics, think this is all a bit got up and yah-boo politics as usual, and that in any case, the economy, schools, hospitals, crime and housing matter more.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598
    edited August 2018
    I believe Leavers don't change their underwear very often too:

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/801841527857278977?s=19

Fatties with skid marks for Global Britain?

;)
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, I agree that the incompetence of the Government is worrying, although those at the top are from the Remain side, not the Leave side.

I think leaving the customs union is an absolute red line, but was very relaxed about almost any other arrangement, perhaps even including membership of the single market.

However, had Remain won there would be sod all effort to try and accommodate a theoretical 48% who voted Leave, so I think that's a somewhat unfair point. As for barbs, there is plenty of nastiness flung both ways by noisy fringes. I think most people, being rather quieter, just want a reasonable negotiated deal.

Mr. F, sad to hear that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sean_F said:

surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:
    A f***ing racist!
    He incarcerated immigrants on an island. If he is a moderate, then so is Salvini.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    surby said:
    Didn't you post that same link 30 minutes ago?
  • Options
    Apologies for the profoundly morbid nature of the comment, but this is www.politicalbetting.com - Could the possibility of an extra race in Arizona affect control of the senate ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

My sister's cancer spread to her brain and continued treatment was considered negative for her remaining time and she passed away a few weeks later without all the nasty side effects of the treatment
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018

As long as we do so democratically, then I'd be fine with it, in the same way I'd be fine with a Corbyn government. We'd be joining it with the treaty frameworks as they are, with the direction of travel well understood. William might even get his wish and we actually join the Euro.

As many others have pointed out, young folk are pro-Europe. If that continues, rejoining is but a matter of time.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Apologies for the profoundly morbid nature of the comment, but this is www.politicalbetting.com - Could the possibility of an extra race in Arizona affect control of the senate ?

Flake was already retiring. 2018 may be a bit too early for flipping. But you never know.
    You are right, this is PB.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I believe Leavers don't change their underwear very often too:

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/801841527857278977?s=19

Fatties with skid marks for Global Britain?

;)
    Hah, now that is a curious stat!

Thanks for posting the link to the study, Alastair.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

...and no matter how angry you get, we will probably go back in one day and I will laugh my old age pensioner socks off. I just hope there are enough leavers still alive to watch their eyes swivelling so hard they burst out of their sockets withy pink faced incredulity
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    surby said:
    In the final ballot it was Morrison the relative moderate v Dutton the hard right Trumpite after the Turnbullite Bishop went out.

Had Dutton won you would have been right, though Morrison is a more traditional conservative and will be closer to Trump and more pro Brexit than the globalist liberal Turnbull was
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    HYUFD said:

However the Leave vote was also a protest vote against the rich, thinner, wealthy, graduate elite based mainly in London and the Corbyn vote was too to a lesser degree.

The thinnest people tend to be the AB upper middle class on average and they were the only class to vote for Remain and to vote Tory as they are largely content with their lot. People often overeat as comfort food to compensate for lack of contentment elsewhere in life
    Surely the author of that article must know that poor people are more likely to be overweight these days.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Ydoethur said:
    'But only one MP has ever formally crossed the floor from red to blue (excluding National Labour in 1931)'

Reg Prentice comes to my mind from 1977. I believe that the MP for Tottenham switched to the Tories during the 1959 Parliament.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    surby said:

It is getting closer...........

Seems so. One problem though: the sheer scale of criminality everywhere Mueller turns. It's going to take him forever to work through it all, probably past 2020.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surby said:
    Yes, there is a risk with copy and paste. Now corrected.
  • Options

Being seen as favouring Muslims over Jews isn't going to be a game changing vote loser for Corbyn any more than being seen to be anti immigrant was for Leave. The only people horrified are those who want him out anyway. His supporters will frame it as him sticking up for the little guy.

To be PM of the UK you have to empathise with everyone. Corbyn simply does not
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sean_F said:

My sister's cancer spread to her brain and continued treatment was considered negative for her remaining time and she passed away a few weeks later without all the nasty side effects of the treatment
    It was the same with my beloved Jenny. Once her lung cancer had spread to her liver and bones, there was nothing more to be done. We had a lovely peaceful last three weeks with no medical treatment (other than pain management) at all.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,348

It will continue. Not at the forefront of headlines, but bubbling under and erupting each time there's a potential flashpoint. There's a huge demo planned in Manchester for the eve of conference. There's still the IHRA to implement. Conference itself - and possible hecklers. The complaints to parliament about Corbyn's undeclared trips. Abuse of Jewish MPs. Willsman's potential election. Momentum inviting Melenchon (who can rarely resist a pop at Jews) Plus you haven't just got Corbyn - who is likely to be the subject of disciplinary complaints. There's Murray and Milne who are also likely to be the subject of complaints.

What's changed I think is that people are now prepared to realise what Corbyn really is and challenge him for it. There's no real chance of reconciliation short of Corbyn admitting he's an anti-Semite and apologising. Will it sway the membership? Unlikely but a split is now probably inevitable and a vicious one too - as any new grouping will in effect be calling Corbyn and the party he leads racist to the core.

• Options
    surby said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:
    A f***ing racist!
    He incarcerated immigrants on an island. If he is a moderate, then so is Salvini.
    That's moderate in Australia. It was also very effective.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Remainers have many legitimate gripes.

* The sheer cosmic incompetence of those implementing Brexit. It does not inspire confidence. Brexiteers do not take responsibility.
    * The fact that the hard Brexiters said something before the vote and something different after. The idea that we must be outside the CU and SM came after the vote. There has been no effort to accommodate views of the 48%. It's all thin end of the wedge. There is no trust.
    * All the barbs about being traitors, Remoaners, citizens of nowhere and much worse.
    Tell that to No Deal Brexiteers furious at the Chequers Deal
  • Options
    Black smoke emerging from Tesla, a new Musk has been selected to lead us to Mars.

https://twitter.com/KoltovskoyYakov/status/1033013043540709377
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No, because the Governor of Arizona (a Republican) appoints his successor, who serves for the remainder of his Senate term.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/403443-trump-org-cfo-granted-immunity-in-cohen-investigation-report

I wonder what this means. Is immunity given before the beans are spilled or do the prosecutors have a pretty good idea what they will be officially told ?
  • Options

I don't think that first sentence stands up to be honest.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

No, because the Governor of Arizona (a Republican) appoints his successor, who serves for the remainder of his Senate term.
    Thanks
  • Options
    surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:
    Yes, there is a risk with copy and paste. Now corrected.
    At least you weren't doing anything naughty :p
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Labour must be so proud.

Isn't that what Eagles says about JRM?
    Its what JRM says about JRM:

...as a Catholic father-of-six he has consistently opposed gay marriage. In 2013, he said that on same sex partnerships, “I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church rather than the [Conservative] Whip’s Office.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-moggmentum-run-for-tory-leader-leadership-election-contest-conservative-party-a7891196.html
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surby said:

Sean_F said:

surby said:

RobD said:

surby said:
    A f***ing racist!
    That's moderate in Australia. It was also very effective.
    We will have a change in government soon.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Islam isn't a race. That doesn't make anti-Muslim bigotry acceptable. It's important to define properly what's going on. The term Islamophobia is disliked by many because it conflates anti-Muslim prejudice and discrimination with mockery, insult, and questioning of an idea (namely Islam). This is particularly relevant given inaction by the authorities over 'cultural sensitivity' in Rotherham, and elsewhere, and the attempt at imposing by violence a de facto blasphemy law with the terrorist attack against Charlie Hebdo.

This might have changed because it's a while ago I learnt it, but Sikhs and Jews are considered both an ethnic and religious description in law, presumably because of the inherited status (this applies to orthodox Jews, I think other denominations permit conversion to the religion). It's also why Disraeli and Ed Miliband are described as Jewish political leaders despite the former converting to the Anglican Church and the latter being an atheist.

If someone's discriminating against another on the basis of their religious position (Muslim, in this instance) that's unacceptable. If someone's taking the piss out of a religion (in this case Islam) that's absolutely fine. Blasphemy laws cannot and must not be imposed upon non-believers.

I am not Muslim, but I suspect to some extent it depends where the mockery comes from. If it comes from a source that only mocks Muslims we can say that is probably based on scumbaggish prejudice. If on the other hand it is aimed at all theists then that may look less offensive. Interestingly though Richard Dawkins seems oddly quiet in his mockery of Islam. maybe that tells you something about him.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

...and no matter how angry you get, we will probably go back in one day and I will laugh my old age pensioner socks off. I just hope there are enough leavers still alive to watch their eyes swivelling so hard they burst out of their sockets withy pink faced incredulity
    Assuming it’s on the basis of a referendum that’s fine. People will know what they are voting for.
  • Options

I think that must be right. Anyone who is willing to pretend that Corbyn is not an anti-Semite now will never be convinced, even if he admitted it. It is the same with this guff of seeking peace which only involves speaking to one side, expressing admiration for that side, cheering them on, celebrating their martyrs but not their victims, appearing on their media, inviting them to the HoC etc etc.

It really is quite something that Labour has come to this. Harold Wilson said: “The Labour party is a moral crusade or it is nothing.” That it could become worse than nothing, a scar on our body politic, must have been beyond his wildest imagining.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Sean_F said:

Sad to hear this .

John McCain a great man .I hoped he would have been voted in as president back in 2008.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,660

I don't remember Maggie having much empathy with the miners Big_G!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    John_M said:

As long as we do so democratically, then I'd be fine with it, in the same way I'd be fine with a Corbyn government. We'd be joining it with the treaty frameworks as they are, with the direction of travel well understood. William might even get his wish and we actually join the Euro.

As many others have pointed out, young folk are pro-Europe. If that continues, rejoining is but a matter of time.
    They aren't that pro Federal EU Superstate, we may rejoin the single market once immigration has been brought under control but any question of rejoining the EU will likely be for the birds as by then the EU will likely have split into the Eurozone and a non Eurozone EFTA.

Of course 2016 Leavers in 1975 voted by a majority to join the Common Market if they were alive and eligible to vote then
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, I agree that the incompetence of the Government is worrying, although those at the top are from the Remain side, not the Leave side.

I think leaving the customs union is an absolute red line, but was very relaxed about almost any other arrangement, perhaps even including membership of the single market.

However, had Remain won there would be sod all effort to try and accommodate a theoretical 48% who voted Leave, so I think that's a somewhat unfair point. As for barbs, there is plenty of nastiness flung both ways by noisy fringes. I think most people, being rather quieter, just want a reasonable negotiated deal.

Mr. F, sad to hear that.

I said as much on the last thread. All this week has done is move the dial further away from a no deal exit and towards a sensible compromise that may well horrify the brexiteers and certainly finish off the remainers while the vast majority get on with their lives

At some time in the next three months I can see TM, Junckers and Tusk, holding a press conference announcing agreement with lots of nice words banishing both extremes to the margins
  • Options

I am sure Thatcher empathised with everyone !! Of course, to you, she did.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,598
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Surely the author of that article must know that poor people are more likely to be overweight these days.
    That was looked at in the analysis, and didn't explain the difference.

While there is some fun to be had teasing Leavers, I think it does demonstrate how different Britains two tribes are.
  • Options

So which British citizens does TM not stand up for
  • Options

I am not Muslim, but I suspect to some extent it depends where the mockery comes from. If it comes from a source that only mocks Muslims we can say that is probably based on scumbaggish prejudice. If on the other hand it is aimed at all theists then that may look less offensive. Interestingly though Richard Dawkins seems oddly quiet in his mockery of Islam. maybe that tells you something about him.
    That he takes Darwin's teachings about survival of the fittest seriously?
  • Options

I'm a democrat and would be quite happy to accept the results of a referendum to Rejoin. I'd certainly disagree, of course, but even I wouldn't want the UK to be doing the fucking hokey-cokey over membership. If we Rejoin it would have to be as a full-fat member.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

surby said:
    In the final ballot it was Morrison the relative moderate v Dutton the hard right Trumpite after the Turnbullite Bishop went out.

Had Dutton won you would have been right, though Morrison is a more traditional conservative and will be closer to Trump and more pro Brexit than the globalist liberal Turnbull was
    I read a fantastic book many years ago about Turnbull and the Fairfax Affair. He is not a nice man

It wasn’t this one (mine was contemporaneous) but it covers the same ground

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-Fairfax-Murdoch-Ultimate-Revenge-ebook/dp/B00C4M25P0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1535125088&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fairfax+australia&dpPl=1&dpID=51vWJrYsbTL&ref=plSrch
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, you're more optimistic than me. There may be a deal. I suspect it'll be somewhere between a bit poor and very poor, but we'll see.
  • Options

The ones she labelled citizens of nowhere.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Black smoke emerging from Tesla, a new Musk has been selected to lead us to Mars.

Deliberate fire. Just a joke !
  • Options

You may well be right but that is a singularly nasty comment and completely unnecessary
  • Options

Mr. F, sad to hear that.

I said as much on the last thread. All this week has done is move the dial further away from a no deal exit and towards a sensible compromise that may well horrify the brexiteers and certainly finish off the remainers while the vast majority get on with their lives

At some time in the next three months I can see TM, Junckers and Tusk, holding a press conference announcing agreement with lots of nice words banishing both extremes to the margins
    Hope you're right Big_G. But there is still work to be done.
  • Options
    surby said:

Pulpstar said:

Deliberate fire. Just a joke !
    They've confirmed it was deliberate, or is that speculation?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

It was the same with my beloved Jenny. Once her lung cancer had spread to her liver and bones, there was nothing more to be done. We had a lovely peaceful last three weeks with no medical treatment (other than pain management) at all.
    So sorry for your loss. My sisters passing was a relief bless her
  • Options

So tax avoiders then?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Yorkcity said:

Sean_F said:

Sad to hear this .

John McCain a great man .I hoped he would have been voted in as president back in 2008.
    It is very sad.

But then again, 50 years ago he was being tortured in the Hanoi Hilton. If someone could have convinced him then that he'd die in his mid 80s in his bed with his family around him, he'd have wept for joy.

Which might be some consolation.
  • Options
    Charles said:

So tax avoiders then?
    She is a Prime Minister for prejudiced provincials. She offers nothing to anyone who lives and works inside the M25 or other urban areas,
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That he takes Darwin's teachings about survival of the fittest seriously?
    Sorry to be pedantic but Darwin didn't teach "the survival of the fittest".

Dawkins is an anti-theist rather than an atheist. It as much a belief based faith as any religion. My point though is that he seems comfortable attacking Christianity, but less so attacking a religion that might throw a fatwa at him
  • Options
    In a surprise to nobody.....

Chuka Umunna slams talk of breakaway party as 'false news'
  • Options

I don't remember Maggie having much empathy with the miners Big_G!
    She was not anti semetic, she fought for the Country against a militant organisation threatening democracy
  • Options
    John_M said:

I'm a democrat and would be quite happy to accept the results of a referendum to Rejoin. I'd certainly disagree, of course, but even I wouldn't want the UK to be doing the fucking hokey-cokey over membership. If we Rejoin it would have to be as a full-fat member.
    Same here! Its this 'we don't like the result so lets short circuit the process' I can't abide.

Labour or the Lib Dems can campaign at the next GE to rejoin - and if they win the subsequent referendum fair enough - but thats our process and the great & the good campaigning from on high for a so called 'people's vote' - so they can ignore the result of a people's vote sticks in my craw.

A UK with a 4% smaller economy than it might have been (or not, we'll never know) in 15 years time would still be the UK.

A UK where the result of the largest popular vote in history had been ignored could be a very different country,
This discussion has been closed.