Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour split would have one chance to succeed – but succeed

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour split would have one chance to succeed – but succeed it could

Anyone remember the Pro Euro Conservatives? The Party was formed by two former Tory MEPs opposed to the direction that William Hague was taking the party on Europe. After a good deal more media interest than was due for a tiny splinter party – mainly, presumably, because it allowed a new angle on the never-ending internal Tory conflict on Europe – they polled 1.3% at the 1999 European elections, lost their deposit at the Kensington & Chelsea by-election later that year and was disbanded two years later having failed to break the mould of British politics.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited August 2018
    There's still a non-trivial chance that if Corbyn goes down next time the party can de-Corbynize, and apart from Brexit I'm not sure there's *that* much policy stuff that the moderates really dislike. So unless the left start doing wholesale purges, I don't think it's attractive for moderates to try to break away unless they think they might be able to win the *next* election. To do that they obviously need Tory support as well as Labour support, and quite a lot of it. Bringing us to:
    If the opposition is from a rather less threatening left-of-centre figure, or if the split on the left makes a Corbyn government much less likely, that could well cause a meltdown in Con support as well as Lab’s as the ties keeping May’s coalition together unravel.
    So the important question is: Who are the soft Tory supporters who would switch to a hypothetical Centrist Dad Party, and what do they want?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,652
    Second! Like Remain & Corbyn....
  • Options
    Interesting article, as ever. I'm not sure what would be sufficiently seismic to trigger a split - the documented anti-semitism hasn't - and unless the polls swing decisively against Brexit (which there is no evidence of them doing, however much some may wish it) and Corbyn sticks to his guns, then I don't see what will.

Minor edit point:

Whatever, the meagre Alliance total of 22 MPs in 1983 could have been many more; potentially enough to.

Looks like it was cut short....
  • Options
    And on the other politics story making headlines - the Record continues its scoop on the Salmond allegations:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-accused-touching-womans-13134675
  • Options
    FPT:
    surby said:

One Goodwin tweet Mr Meeks won't reject out of hand:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1033065563176796161

Is the "working class" poll based on sub-samples ?
    The C2DE 'sub sample' is typically ±40% of the total - so its a reasonably robust figure.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Third like Boris
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    A breakaway would need a likeable personality as leader - someone who can articulate a clear vision for the future. Someone who comes without baggage that can be pulled apart.

It isn't Chuka. It isn't Cooper. It isn't Kinnock. It isn't Starmer.

Watson walking would make him an interim leader and king/queen maker for whoever emerges from the chaos.

Luciana Berger and Sarah Champion have both stood their ground with a certain amount of integrity of late. I don't know if they have the political vision to become a credible leader. But they would offer something fresh - they would make people take notice.
  • Options
    The political fall out from the Salmond allegations:

If Mr Salmond is to win his argument in court, Ms Sturgeon must lose, and vice versa.

Going to court never made any couple happier. It’s unlikely to improve relations between Ms Sturgeon and her mentor.

Nor, if Mr Salmond wins, does it annul the complaints now with the police. Their enquiries roll on regardless of the civil proceedings. The silence from SNP HQ yesterday was as deep as the party’s anguish. Like all memorable media conferences, Mr Salmond’s verged on the surreal.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/16598675.tom-gordon-alex-salmond-and-nicola-sturgeons-relationship-is-changed-forever/?ref=twtrec
  • Options
    edited August 2018

There's still a non-trivial chance that if Corbyn goes down next time the party can de-Corbynize, and apart from Brexit I'm not sure there's *that* much policy stuff that the moderates really dislike. So unless the left start doing wholesale purges, I don't think it's attractive for moderates to try to break away unless they think they might be able to win the *next* election. To do that they obviously need Tory support as well as Labour support, and quite a lot of it. (Snip)

So the important question is: Who are the soft Tory supporters who would switch to a hypothetical Centrist Dad Party, and what do they want?

The real issue for Labour, given the size and energy of its expanded membership, is how it happens. Any sort of MP coup would get the most horrendous backlash. The most likely route is some sort of Kinnock figure, elected from the left who then tacks the party back toward the centre. But even that precedent conjures up recollection of a lot of internal turmoil.

On the Tory side the turmoil arises if Brexit starts to go seriously pear shaped, with the conflict between those running for the lifeboats and those who believe the ship can carve clean through the iceberg.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited August 2018
    IanB2 said:

There's still a non-trivial chance that if Corbyn goes down next time the party can de-Corbynize, and apart from Brexit I'm not sure there's *that* much policy stuff that the moderates really dislike. So unless the left start doing wholesale purges, I don't think it's attractive for moderates to try to break away unless they think they might be able to win the *next* election. To do that they obviously need Tory support as well as Labour support, and quite a lot of it. (Snip)

The real issue for Labour, given the size and energy of its expanded membership, is how it happens. Any sort of MP coup would get the most horrendous backlash. The most likely route is some sort of Kinnock figure, elected from the left who then tacks the party back toward the centre. But even that precedent conjures up recollection of a lot of internal turmoil.

On the Tory side the turmoil arises if Brexit starts to go seriously pear shaped, with the conflict between those running for the lifeboats and those who believe the ship can carve clean through the iceberg.
    I think there's quite a bit of precedent for somebody acceptably extreme to win the leadership then tack back to the centre to win the election. It's a pretty standard political manoeuver; Generally the membership will go with you once they get sick of losing. So viewed as just part of the normal cycle I don't think there's particularly a long-term problem for the moderates, as long as they don't get purged in the meantime.

But what there's less precedent for is this situation where both the main government and the main opposition are clearly incompetent and at the mercy of extremists, but the centre has totally evaporated. This becomes even more true if TMay gets knifed by somebody of a hard-brexit persuasion, and the economic results are not entirely to the voters' advantage.

In principle it feels plausible that there could be a lot of latent support for a reconstructed centre, maybe even enough to overcome the inherent hurdle of FPTP. But then when you start to ask who, how, what specific policies, what specific voters, I'm having a hard time seeing how you colour the picture in.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Before a breakaway can work, would-be defectors need to identify what they want, as opposed to what they don’t want. The work hasn’t been done on that yet, so far as is visible from the outside.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Keiran Pedley has made some smart points on the new YouGov Brexit poll:

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1033113790370463744?s=21
    https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1033113793449082885?s=21

The last point is particularly intriguing. This was a very big sample, yet YouGov had to apply serious weightings to its sample to get back to the referendum result. Possibilities:

1) YouGov’s panel is unbalanced.
    2) Some Leave voters are forgetting or lying about how they voted.
    3) Some Leave voters have become shy about their choice.
    4) Some non-voters want to correct that retrospectively.

It hints that perhaps Remain’s lead might be a bit understated, as Leave voters might be finding different ways of concealing a change of mind.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,348

A breakaway would need a likeable personality as leader - someone who can articulate a clear vision for the future. Someone who comes without baggage that can be pulled apart.

Watson walking would make him an interim leader and king/queen maker for whoever emerges from the chaos.

Luciana Berger and Sarah Champion have both stood their ground with a certain amount of integrity of late. I don't know if they have the political vision to become a credible leader. But they would offer something fresh - they would make people take notice.

Stella Creasy. Done more for the poorest as a backbencher in eight years than Corbyn and co managed in 40. Likeable with a hinterland (big indie fan) and did extremely well when taking on the unstoppable Tom Watson machine for deputy leader. She's the best current example of how you can be a 'moderate' - i.e. not buy into the Corbynista idea of a moral crusade that we need to sweep away all, and yet have helping the poorest as your primary goal rather than implementing technocratic policies. Although no doubt it irks some on here who disagree with her politically, she also sounds human and like she cares when she's making an argument. One of the victims of the dreadful Corbynite supremacy - she should be in her third year as a shadow minister now.
  • Options

Although having met Luciana when living up in Liverpool she is incredibly impressive in a way I didn't expect given the first time people heard of her it was a row about her allegedly being parachuted in. She's just a really nice, pleasant person, and yet someone who has shown balls of steel over Corbyn's vileness. I don't think people quite realise the level of abuse Jewish Labour MPs get. It would be enough to drive lesser people mad - and would, if he were decent and honourable, have led to a serious intervention years back from Corbyn over what is done in his name. She's got steely determination and very prepared to get her hands dirty by campaigning too. I think she hugely won over a lot of fairly sceptical Scousers and pre-Corbyn fought off the hard left in her constituency party.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Good article, Mr. Herdson. I agree with you. When I read a snippet of Bush's comments my first thought was that I'd believe it when I saw it. Nothing has happened to change my mind on that.

The PLP showed surprising stomach for a fight by challenging Corbyn before the last election, but since then there have been individual attacks but nothing to suggest that they're actually going to walk away from Labour. It seems they love their party name more than they detest Corbyn, and that risks putting him into Downing Street.

I am not persuaded by the claim they'd act as a curb on his power. Many actions can be taken without reference to Parliament at all.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    MJW said:

Although having met Luciana when living up in Liverpool she is incredibly impressive in a way I didn't expect given the first time people heard of her it was a row about her allegedly being parachuted in. She's just a really nice, pleasant person, and yet someone who has shown balls of steel over Corbyn's vileness. I don't think people quite realise the level of abuse Jewish Labour MPs get. It would be enough to drive lesser people mad - and would, if he were decent and honourable, have led to a serious intervention years back from Corbyn over what is done in his name. She's got steely determination and very prepared to get her hands dirty by campaigning too. I think she hugely won over a lot of fairly sceptical Scousers and pre-Corbyn fought off the hard left in her constituency party.
    I'm not sure the far right types who abuse (or go further) Labour women MPs really care what Corbyn thinks.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

IanB2 said:

I think there's quite a bit of precedent for somebody acceptably extreme to win the leadership then tack back to the centre to win the election. It's a pretty standard political manoeuver; Generally the membership will go with you once they get sick of losing. So viewed as just part of the normal cycle I don't think there's particularly a long-term problem for the moderates, as long as they don't get purged in the meantime.

But what there's less precedent for is this situation where both the main government and the main opposition are clearly incompetent and at the mercy of extremists, but the centre has totally evaporated. This becomes even more true if TMay gets knifed by somebody of a hard-brexit persuasion, and the economic results are not entirely to the voters' advantage.

In principle it feels plausible that there could be a lot of latent support for a reconstructed centre, maybe even enough to overcome the inherent hurdle of FPTP. But then when you start to ask who, how, what specific policies, what specific voters, I'm having a hard time seeing how you colour the picture in.
    I am not convinced there is much real interest in Centrism. Otherwise the LDs would be polling rather better. Indeed there was a recent bit of polling showed that the perceived gap by voters was for an anti immigration party.
  • Options

MJW said:

I'm not sure the far right types who abuse (or go further) Labour women MPs really care what Corbyn thinks.
    Oh sod off. You know a huge amount of this stuff comes from Corbyn devotees. You don't care because supporting a racist as Labour leader is more important to you than opposing racist abuse of MPs. Morally bankrupt like the leader and his acolytes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

MJW said:

I don't know. Nick Griffin and David Duke both seem quite happy with what he's been saying.
  • Options
    MJW said:

At one time Luciana and Chukka were considered an item.

https://order-order.com/2011/06/20/why-did-luciana-chuck-her-man-eh/
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Third like Boris

Actually fifth in a field of three.

Which I would say is a perfect metaphor for Boris!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MJW said:

I don't know. Nick Griffin and David Duke both seem quite happy with what he's been saying.
    Have they long been pro-Palestinian?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

MJW said:

Have they long been pro-Palestinian?
    Not so far as I know, but they've been consistently anti-Israel for a very long time.
  • Options
    PBers may recall a couple of weeks ago there was a city list (would you be willing to move to X?) and I called it out as invalid due to the omission of York, which got rather more agreement than I was expecting.

This rather backs up the PB consensus:
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1031458127097606145
  • Options

PBers may recall a couple of weeks ago there was a city list (would you be willing to move to X?) and I called it out as invalid due to the omission of York, which got rather more agreement than I was expecting.

I am truly flabbergasted that Gloucester is higher up that list than Bristol.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Third like Boris

Actually fifth in a field of three.

Which I would say is a perfect metaphor for Boris!
    Lol. But I play by my rules, which are one medal per person!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited August 2018

I'm off to Ripon today, it's great.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I suspect a lot of the list is determined by general perceptions and even whether the name sounds nice or not.

It's also quite a Roman-friendly list.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    On topic, to break FPTP you need a support base that is geographically concentrated - as was early Labour's - or to achieve a dominant share of the vote - as did the SNP within Scotland.

The SDP's problem was always that it's appeal was broad rather than deep, and insofar as there was any concentration (being perjorative, in areas with lots of Waitrose shoppers), these tended to be seats already hard fought between active branches of the two main parties (like York, Cambridge, Oxford and north London).

The changing demographics of the country and the greater age/education basis of leave/Remain might offer somewhat more concentration today (although you could argue to what extent 'remain' is the right and sustainable long-term base for a new party?), but the biggest difference would be that it zooms in on mostly safe Labour seats, rather than marginals as before. The new party would therefore be head-to-head with Labour from the outset and would need to shatter its base in places like north London and university towns in order to secure at least a beachhead.
  • Options

Keiran Pedley has made some smart points on the new YouGov Brexit poll:

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1033113790370463744?s=21
    https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1033113793449082885?s=21

The last point is particularly intriguing. This was a very big sample, yet YouGov had to apply serious weightings to its sample to get back to the referendum result. Possibilities:

1) YouGov’s panel is unbalanced.
    2) Some Leave voters are forgetting or lying about how they voted.
    3) Some Leave voters have become shy about their choice.
    4) Some non-voters want to correct that retrospectively.

It hints that perhaps Remain’s lead might be a bit understated, as Leave voters might be finding different ways of concealing a change of mind.

I honestly do think if the country somehow changed its mind and remained in the EU, "leave" would have a polling lead a couple of years thereafter.
    In terms of "concern" issues, salience about the EU would most likely remain static on the surface but with almost 100% churn underneath. Best to leave for the moment even if the population isn't for it at this moment in time.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Labour splits (rather than some people defecting)? Yawn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My guess is that some of the cities are being 'carried' by perceptions of the surrounding countryside. For example when you score 'Truro' I am sure many people would think 'Cornwall' and rate on the basis of living in the West Country, or at least 'if I lived in Truro rural Cornwall would be on my doorstep'. Like Gloucester, I don't recall Truro as an urban settlement being strikingly attractive.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

My guess is that some of the cities are being 'carried' by perceptions of the surrounding countryside. For example when you score 'Truro' I am sure many people would think 'Cornwall' and rate on the basis of living in the West Country, or at least 'if I lived in Truro rural Cornwall would be on my doorstep'. Like Gloucester, I don't recall Truro as an urban settlement being strikingly attractive.
    The countryside around Gloucester is hardly very special either.

I can only assume that Gloucester is being used as shorthand for Cheltenham.

Even so I'd take Bristol over either.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Good article, Mr. Herdson. I agree with you. When I read a snippet of Bush's comments my first thought was that I'd believe it when I saw it. Nothing has happened to change my mind on that.

The PLP showed surprising stomach for a fight by challenging Corbyn before the last election, but since then there have been individual attacks but nothing to suggest that they're actually going to walk away from Labour. It seems they love their party name more than they detest Corbyn, and that risks putting him into Downing Street.

I am not persuaded by the claim they'd act as a curb on his power. Many actions can be taken without reference to Parliament at all.

I think it would depend his majority. Yes there are things he can do without parliament but there's a lot of big things he would need it for.

In any case the real question is if they believe they can curb his worst parts in power or not, since having that influence vs having none is a major reason, beyond party loyalty, for not quitting. (And I don't buy the stuff about the movement requiring it - plenty of the current movement didn't vote Labour for ages as they felt the movement was not within the party anymore and someone could take that view now)
  • Options
    It will take a Brexit cataclysm to break up the parties - I expect the Tories to split if Labour do and vice versa. Neither coalition is sustainable, neither can pretend any longer that the two warring sides have anything left to hold onto other than a party name and the pursuit of power.

Brexit is more likely than not to break apart the Tories. No deal whilst ERG crow about it tears Tory moderates away, fudged BINO sends ERG nuclear. Either way it'll be bloody. At the same time the same events stress test the Labour Party beyond tolerance - Jeremy the Jew hater wants a clean break from the EU so we can renationalise United Utilities PLC.

For both parties the natural alternative is there. ConKIP soaks up the hardcore Brexiteers, especially if we get fudge for Easter. For Labour there may be two choices - the cleanest would be a demerger into the Co-op Party (handy for those members who already are members of both parties...), or perhaps a new Labour/Green/Kennedyite LibDems grouping.

I cant see either party splitting without external factor making it feel like the only option (nobody splits a party over something as silly as a leader, they come and go...) - it'll be a major issue of principle.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

On topic, to break FPTP you need a support base that is geographically concentrated - as was early Labour's - or to achieve a dominant share of the vote - as did the SNP within Scotland.

I'm not sure I'd say it was just their concentration of the vote in certain areas although it certainly helped. The First World War, the split in the Liberals, the loss of Ireland and the passivity of Baldwin were all significant, and without any one of them the other factors would probably have been moot.

In fact, the rather strange nature of the perfect storm that propelled Labour from fourth to first in just 18 years suggests dumb luck has a lot to do with it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truro’s pretty enough.
    It’s the position of Glasgow and Newcastle that’s striking to me.
  • Options
    I've not read the Bush article, but why is the Brexit angle key to a potential Labour split? Corbyn will oppose the government's deal, surely, and whatever his plans the mps involved can vote however they want in or out of labour, it doesn't affect if the government can get it's deal through or not.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Salisbury at 6?!

Perhaps I should move, I'm within half an hour of 2 places in the top 6
  • Options
    The eye-popping one in that list of cities is Stoke-on-Trent.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    kle4 said:

I've not read the Bush article, but why is the Brexit angle key to a potential Labour split? Corbyn will oppose the government's deal, surely, and whatever his plans the mps involved can vote however they want in or out of labour, it doesn't affect if the government can get it's deal through or not.

The so-called moderates are champing to oppose Brexit, and would be able to do so if freed from whatever combination of tactical positioning and Corbyn's own instincts is keeping Labour on the fence. Further, it looks like anti-Brexit would be the most significant topical rallying cry to any hypothetical new party (whether this is a sustainable long-term basis is another question, but it is worth remembering that at launch Europe was the key reason why the leading SDP-ers left Labour before).

Really it's a sad comment on the vacuity of modern politics that these so-called social democrats don't have much more to say.
  • Options
    Why does this put me in mind of Jim Hacker expelling Soviet diplomats in times of bad headlines?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45302865
  • Options

Yes. Absurdly high. Especially given Lichfield is at 38.

Maybe it's because house prices are so cheap?
  • Options

There is a fairly congruent Counties map too. Unfairly harsh on East Leics and N Northants both of which are delightful. Sorry OGH, Beds is bottom!

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1033235287294529537?s=19
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why does this put me in mind of Jim Hacker expelling Soviet diplomats in times of bad headlines?

At least he hasn't taken any of the other events suggested - a royal pregnancy, a nuclear meltdown and a war being other possibilities!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The so-called moderates are champing to oppose Brexit, and would be able to do so if freed from whatever combination of tactical positioning and Corbyn's own instincts is keeping Labour on the fence. Further, it looks like anti-Brexit would be the most significant topical rallying cry to any hypothetical new party (whether this is a sustainable long-term basis is another question, but it is worth remembering that at launch Europe was the key reason why the leading SDP-ers left Labour before).
    I can see the rallying cry aspect, but if brexit has already been confirmed plenty might not get energised by it since it's too late, might as Well stay with Labour and at least get some good socialism. As for opposing Brexit they can do that now, we've seen rebellions already.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Have you ever been there? 70pc leave in the referendum, maybe that's why you don't like it?
  • Options

If money were no object or if to visit one of those it'd be much lower. But say I only had ~ £250k to spend on a house and the rest of my income is fixed (Perhaps I'm retired)... well Stoke certainly gets a look in then.

As @Ydoethur says perhaps its to do with the house prices.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I'm not sure I'd say it was just their concentration of the vote in certain areas although it certainly helped. The First World War, the split in the Liberals, the loss of Ireland and the passivity of Baldwin were all significant, and without any one of them the other factors would probably have been moot.

In fact, the rather strange nature of the perfect storm that propelled Labour from fourth to first in just 18 years suggests dumb luck has a lot to do with it.
    Fair comment. Having a firm concentration of geographical support is nevertheless a very useful first base, whereas the SDP never really made it onto the mountain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

At least he hasn't taken any of the other events suggested - a royal pregnancy, a nuclear meltdown and a war being other possibilities!
    He has a lot of bad headlines, he'll work down the list.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Have you ever been there? 70pc leave in the referendum, maybe that's why you don't like it?
    I’ve been to all the cities on that list other than Wells, St David’s, Stirling and Aberdeen.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There is a fairly congruent Counties map too. Unfairly harsh on East Leics and N Northants both of which are delightful. Sorry OGH, Beds is bottom!

If towns were ranked, which Bedfordshire town might possibly be coming near the bottom xD ?!
    To be fair to OGH I severely doubt it'd be Bedford.
  • Options
    On counties, it seems the further from London, the more popular. Not a perfect rule, but a decent guideline.
  • Options

hunchman said:

I’ve been to all the cities on that list other than Wells, St David’s, Stirling and Aberdeen.
    St Davids is well worth a visit, and the rest of Pembrokeshire is gorgeous too.
  • Options
    Interesting that Staffordshire is ranked above Surrey. Although very surprising it is ranked so far below Shropshire given they are very similar in almost every way except Staffordshire is more centrally located and has far better transport links.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Aberdeen has been traduced.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Again, the countryside roundabout is attractive and there is a lot to see and do in that area of the world.
  • Options

On counties, it seems the further from London, the more popular. Not a perfect rule, but a decent guideline.

For cities it seems the old industrial Midlands/Yorkshire spine (Coventry -> Bradford) are the least popular. As an old Coventrian myself (In all senses of the word) you could never describe it as particularly pretty but it's got a rich industrial history.
  • Options

It is mostly for tourist interest I think, a lot of the low scoring places are nice to live, but no reason to visit unless living there or visiting.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Incidentally, at least two cities are missing from that list - Bangor and Llanelwy.

Edit - can't see Rochester either although I know there's some dispute as to whether it's a city. But Chelmsford is a pretty glaring omission.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It is mostly for tourist interest I think, a lot of the low scoring places are nice to live, but no reason to visit unless living there or visiting.
    Stoke seems to be the exception to that rule, unless by Stoke people mean errm... Alton Towers !
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally, at least two cities are missing from that list - Bangor and Llanelwy.

Edit - can't see Rochester either although I know there's some dispute as to whether it's a city. But Chelmsford is a pretty glaring omission.

Perth is missing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Stoke seems to be the exception to that rule, unless by Stoke people mean errm... Alton Towers !
    Stoke has more tourists than any city in the West Midlands other than Birmingham, extraordinary though that still seems to me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The other big thing that led to Labour breaking through was the expansion of the franchise, not just to women. The 1918 Representation of the People Act abolished the property qualification.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Salisbury at 6?!

If you bought a private jet you could be within half an hour of all six.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Salisbury at 6?!

You've clearly never tried to travel into these places from nearby airports. Edinburgh for one could easily use up the half hour.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Chelmsford fell off the bottom.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

but no reason to visit unless...visiting.
    We can't really argue with that!

• Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

The other big thing that led to Labour breaking through was the expansion of the franchise, not just to women. The 1918 Representation of the People Act abolished the property qualification.
    And temporarily disenfranchised conscientious objectors while granting the vote to all ex-servicemen regardless of age.

(Technically the property qualification was of course retained for women. You mean, 'abolished it for men.')
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

He has a lot of bad headlines, he'll work down the list.
    President Trump has also cut American aid to Gaza, so you see it is not just Jeremy Corbyn who cares about Middle East politics.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45303989

Israel and North Korea. Perhaps not Trump himself creating a distraction but a foreign policy neocon hawk taking advantage?
  • Options

On counties, it seems the further from Leicester, the more popular. Not a perfect rule, but a decent guideline.

fixed that for you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

And temporarily disenfranchised conscientious objectors while granting the vote to all ex-servicemen regardless of age.

(Technically the property qualification was of course retained for women. You mean, 'abolished it for men.')
    Yes, and assymetrical voting age of 21 for men, 30 for women until 1928.

As at that time women were more likely to vote Tory, there was an electoral bias to men, and therefore Labour.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

Perth is missing.
    And Casnewydd/Newport - although that's not perhaps a terribly surprising omission...

Edit - and Lancaster. Now that is a bad oversight.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, not a Leicester fan?
  • Options

Just looking at the map. It certainly doesn't orient around London.

Although my recollections of Leicester aren't particularly pleasant.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Salisbury at 6?!

York only comes top because they got rid of all their Jews in one night. Oh, the irony.

If you consider the whole sweep of history, the British have more anti Semitic form than the Germans! Oh, the irony.

The Germans aren’t laughing at that, because they have no sense of humour. Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

As at that time women were more likely to vote Tory, there was an electoral bias to men, and therefore Labour.
    Except for the trifling detail that from 1918 to 1924 the Tories won every election on that franchise by considerable margins, their narrowest lead being 258-191 in 1923, the only time they didn't have an overall majority.

And yet when they extended the franchise, they came second in seats (although hey won the popular vote). A lot of opprobrium was heaped on Joynson-Hicks for that especially by Churchill. and ironically as you note it was deeply unfair. Even more ironically, the female vote was absolutely crucial in giving Churchill what proved his only general election victory in 1951.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    IanB2 said:

Just looking at the map. It certainly doesn't orient around London.

Although my recollections of Leicester aren't particularly pleasant.
    They recently buried a child killer and terrorist in their cathedral with vast pomp and ceremony. I'm still rather exercised that in the eulogy he was described as 'a man of integrity,' which he certainly wasn't.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

On counties, it seems the further from Leicester, the more popular. Not a perfect rule, but a decent guideline.

fixed that for you.
    Harsh, bit the delights of Leicester are underestimated. It is a great City to live in with excellent housing at good prices.

For interest the population of Leicester increased by 17% between the 2001-11 censuses, so immigration does not inevitably push up house prices.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Except for the trifling detail that from 1918 to 1924 the Tories won every election on that franchise by considerable margins, their narrowest lead being 258-191 in 1923, the only time they didn't have an overall majority.

And yet when they extended the franchise, they came second in seats (although hey won the popular vote). A lot of opprobrium was heaped on Joynson-Hicks for that especially by Churchill. and ironically as you note it was deeply unfair. Even more ironically, the female vote was absolutely crucial in giving Churchill what proved his only general election victory in 1951.
    Though the number of Labour seats increased substantially in the 1920's, with the enfranchisement of working class men.

Sure, the Liberal splits helped the supplantation, but the working class enfranchisement helped in a big way too.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    My sense is that Corbyn is going from strength to strength....

To misquote Billy Wilder 'Ok, so he shares platforms with antisemites, he attends memorials to terrorists, he likes antisemitic murals, he loathes the State of Israel and he won't sign up to IHRA's definition of antisemitism.... But what people forget is that he's an absolutely useless Party leader.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Bradford bottom,well it doesn't help whenl 800/900 asylum seekers get dumped on the poor parts of the city which are already struggling and the number one city on the poll, also the better off white York take bugger all.

If you are looking for racism ,it's right there.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That seems wrong to me. A map of average house prices would show where people actually want to live, and I suspect London would do a bit better.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

but no reason to visit unless...visiting.
    We can't really argue with that!

I am slightly hypo-caffeinated still!

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    edited August 2018
    . edit (confusion of maps)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Foxy said:

Though the number of Labour seats increased substantially in the 1920's, with the enfranchisement of working class men.

Sure, the Liberal splits helped the supplantation, but the working class enfranchisement helped in a big way too.

The working classes could vote from the 1880s. It was a householder franchise rather than a property franchise - renting a property was acceptable to have the vote for it. Two-thirds of men in England and Wales had the vote.

What did change in 1918 was that a large number of younger, more radical men were given the vote, where previously their fathers or even grandfathers would have had the family vote instead.

However, it was certainly not the only or even the most important factor in Labour's rise to the top.
  • Options
    Has anyone else read today’s Times leader? It calls Corbyn anti Semitic is as many words. Ends with “His comments should render him ineligible for membership, let alone leadership, of a democratic party and for public office.”
  • Options

Foxy said:

That seems wrong to me. A map of average house prices would show where people actually want to live, and I suspect London would do a bit better.
    The question is simply whether people like a City, not whether they want to live there.

I couldn't express an opinion on many of them, despite being fairly well travelled, though I suspect most of us could express an opinion on London. Except Morris Dancer.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

The working classes could vote from the 1880s. It was a householder franchise rather than a property franchise - renting a property was acceptable to have the vote for it. Two-thirds of men in England and Wales had the vote.

What did change in 1918 was that a large number of younger, more radical men were given the vote, where previously their fathers or even grandfathers would have had the family vote instead.

However, it was certainly not the only or even the most important factor in Labour's rise to the top.
    Wasn't the franchise dependent on the rateable value?
  • Options

Has anyone else read today’s Times leader? It calls Corbyn anti Semitic is as many words. Ends with “His comments should render him ineligible for membership, let alone leadership, of a democratic party and for public office.”

The problem is the Cult of the Jezziah will dismiss it as a Murdoch smear.

When the Mirror or the Morning Star say the same, he's in trouble.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Perth is missing.
    And Casnewydd/Newport - although that's not perhaps a terribly surprising omission...

The UK excluding Northern Ireland has 64 cities. So there are 7 cities missing from the list. That does not include Rochester which apparently ceased to be a city in 1998 due to the outgoing city council's failure to appoint charter trustees.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The question is simply whether people like a City, not whether they want to live there.

I couldn't express an opinion on many of them, despite being fairly well travelled, though I suspect most of us could express an opinion on London. Except Morris Dancer.
    I can't, unfortunately. OGH would take exception to the language I would use.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Wasn't the franchise dependent on the rateable value?
    Yes, but it didn't matter who was paying the rates. It didn't have to be the owner in other words.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Perth is missing.

The UK excluding Northern Ireland has 64 cities. So there are 7 cities missing from the list. That does not include Rochester which apparently ceased to be a city in 1998 due to the outgoing city council's failure to appoint charter trustees.
    Lancaster
    Chelmsford
    Bangor
    Llanelwy
    Perth
    Chelmsford
    Newport

That's all of them then.

Edit - no it isn't, like a muppet I put Chelmsford twice. What's the seventh then?
This discussion has been closed.