Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Arguably the biggest development in the past month has been

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Arguably the biggest development in the past month has been that LAB supporters have begun to have confidence in their leader

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    First!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited October 2013
    How does this sit alongside the fall in expectations that Labour will have a majority? See fpt.

If Ed M heads to Downing St it depends on how floating voters perceive him, he still evokes similarities to Mr Bean despite attempts to portray him as some sort of neo-Stalinist, are they flocking to his cause?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    I must have missed the Bean vs Dacre episode

Ed is no Mr Bean

Dave and George are Ant and Dec according to IDS
  • Options
    What links Nick Clegg, Andy Burnham and Ralph Miliband other than hostile articles in The Daily Mail?

January 7, 1967 Nick Clegg,
    January 7, 1970 Andy Burnham
    January 7, 1924 Ralph Miliband.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    dr_spyn said:

What links Nick Clegg, Andy Burnham and Ralph Miliband other than hostile articles in The Daily Mail?

January 7, 1967 Nick Clegg,
    January 7, 1970 Andy Burnham
    January 7, 1924 Ralph Miliband.

Birthdays?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    dr_spyn said:

How does this sit alongside the fall in expectations that Labour will have a majority? See fpt.

If Ed M heads to Downing St it depends on how floating voters perceive him, he still evokes similarities to Mr Bean despite attempts to portray him as some sort of neo-Stalinist, are they flocking to his cause?

You are part of that PBTory group who, like Dan Hodges, will say when Ed is standing in front of No.10, why it is so bad for Labour.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Felix Correct.

I wonder how many pb posters have the same birthday as OGH, though few will match Jack W for age...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    dr_spyn said:

@Felix Correct.

I wonder how many pb posters have the same birthday as OGH, though few will match Jack W for age...

Okay then, hands up for sharing a May 11th birthday with Mike...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:

You are part of that PBTory group who, like Dan Hodges, will say when Ed is standing in front of No.10, why it is so bad for Labour.
    Oh dear - more of the silly labelling in the absence of argument - just as well there's no equivalent group of... oh wait!
  • Options
    FPT: @malcolmg "only dumb unionists could try and support that bollocks notion"

That would be this chap, then:

"Ferdinand von Prondzynski, the university principal hand-picked by SNP ministers to review higher education, said abolishing tuition fees has mainly benefited the middle classes."
  • Options

"Ferdinand von Prondzynski, the university principal hand-picked by SNP ministers to review higher education, said abolishing tuition fees has mainly benefited the middle classes."

LMFAO and ROFLWMLITA!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sounds like Treve smashed em! at the Arc. Did Orfevre place ?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Subiton Miliband will only stand outside No 10 when Cameron invites him for lunch....

Seriously if he is to get there he has to convince more Daily Mail readers, more disillusioned LDs, Greens and Tories to back him. Basking in the reflected glow of more Labour voters or party members thinking that he is in some way more prime ministerial is not enough. The Economist pointed out recently that it was not enough for a policy free Ed M to hope that Cameron splits The Right, and opens his way to power.

Blair managed between 1:5 and 1:4 Mail readers to vote Labour, Brown did not, and Labour went to their worst defeat since 1931. If Miliband ends up as an heir to Brown, it won't look good for his electoral chances. He has to show Mail readers that he is not going to feast on their babies. The reappearance of Campbell & McBride on TV screens and newspapers may not yet redress doubts about Labour's nature.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Sounds like Treve smashed em! at the Arc. Did Orfevre place ?

Yes, 2nd.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    felix said:

LMFAO and ROFLWMLITA!
    Post of the week only surely this Ferdie bloke' s got to be a spoof - how much did Salmond pay him and was the bank in Liechtenstein?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Improving your standing with your own supporters must be considered a minimum requirement at a Party Conference, if it's been poor before. But still, an improvement. I can't see anyone going before the election anyway.
  • Options
    This might be interesting. Ozzy plans to scrap various 'green' levies that were imposed upon the energy companies and are driving up consumer prices:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/james-forsyth/2013/10/george-osborne-attempts-political-jiu-jitsu-on-ed-miliband/

Ed must oppose this with all his being! He introduced most of them and cannot stand idle while his own green legacy is wrecked and left in tatters.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

dr_spyn said:

@Felix Correct.

Okay then, hands up for sharing a May 11th birthday with Mike...
    It would be a reasonable number. You only need 23 people for a >50% that 2 of them share the same birthday and only 57 people taht there is >99% chance that 2 of them share the same birthday !
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Subiton Miliband will only stand outside No 10 when Cameron invites him for lunch....

Seriously if he is to get there he has to convince more Daily Mail readers, more disillusioned LDs, Greens and Tories to back him. Basking in the reflected glow of more Labour voters or party members thinking that he is in some way more prime ministerial is not enough. The Economist pointed out recently that it was not enough for a policy free Ed M to hope that Cameron splits The Right, and opens his way to power.

Blair managed between 1:5 and 1:4 Mail readers to vote Labour, Brown did not, and Labour went to their worst defeat since 1931. If Miliband ends up as an heir to Brown, it won't look good for his electoral chances. He has to show Mail readers that he is not going to feast on their babies. The reappearance of Campbell & McBride on TV screens and newspapers may not yet redress doubts about Labour's nature.

He needs nothing of the kind. He only needs 36% to stand in front of No.10 . Maybe, as little as 33%.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    surbiton said:

It would be a reasonable number. You only need 23 people for a >50% that 2 of them share the same birthday and only 57 people taht there is >99% chance that 2 of them share the same birthday !

Yes, but that is true only for 'any' 2 people sharing

The chances of sharing a specified birthday with a named individual would typically require a larger group
  • Options
    Burnham has spoken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24420739

Hope the emails don't lead to headlines of Burnham is broken.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Labour had a conference where Red Ed threw the comrades lots of red meat populist nonsense and then had a big fight with the Daily Mail. If the change persists then it'll be significant.

Seen the highlights, will set about writing up the post-race piece now.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

This might be interesting. Ozzy plans to scrap various 'green' levies that were imposed upon the energy companies and are driving up consumer prices:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/james-forsyth/2013/10/george-osborne-attempts-political-jiu-jitsu-on-ed-miliband/

Ed must oppose this with all his being! He introduced most of them and cannot stand idle while his own green legacy is wrecked and left in tatters.

I suspect this will be tinkering, rather than pursuing a policy of cheap energy.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "The Coalition is taking the first steps towards an integrated police and fire service."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446274/JAMES-FORSYTH-How-Eds-energy-price-freeze-gave-George-shivers.html

Why would you want to do this?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Burnham has spoken.

This is getting dangerous. Hunt won't back down. Why would he? If Burnham now fails to issue his writs he'll be a laughing stock; if he goes ahead he'll effectively be putting the Labour Party on trial. I know Labour are desperate not to lose their banker issue of health, but this is madness. What's going on?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    surbiton said:

I think it would require 253 randomly selected people for it to be more likely than not that one or more of them would have a birthday on any particular date (unless that particular date was 29/2)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

with a name like that what more can I say, LOL. Also fact that he is picked to review education by SNP does not mean he is not a unionist , unlike the London parties they are not scared to select the best person for the job rather than placemen.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Burnham has spoken.

This is getting dangerous. Hunt won't back down. Why would he? If Burnham now fails to issue his writs he'll be a laughing stock; if he goes ahead he'll effectively be putting the Labour Party on trial. I know Labour are desperate not to lose their banker issue of health, but this is madness. What's going on?
    Did Burnham expect Hunt to back down do you think?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Odd piece on Liam Fox's expenses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24420681

The 3p claim looks dubious. There is a concrete works in Yatton, but it isn't a 100 yard drive from the constituency office and the Mail article is also wrong on that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446476/Liam-Fox-claims-3p-100-yard-car-journey-walked-minute.html

I drive past that concrete works often enough and it isn't 100 yards from the main road.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    malcolmg said:

with a name like that what more can I say, LOL. Also fact that he is picked to review education by SNP does not mean he is not a unionist , unlike the London parties they are not scared to select the best person for the job rather than placemen.
    Does this look like the writing of a dumb (German/Irish) unionist? http://universitydiary.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/the-scottish-dimension/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: post-race analysis of the Korean grand Prix (perhaps the final one) is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/korea-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options

surbiton said:

I think it would require 253 randomly selected people for it to be more likely than not that one or more of them would have a birthday on any particular date (unless that particular date was 29/2)
    That would be the difference between the odds of two coins being the same and the odds of them both being heads. Almost the same as asking if three people share the same birthday (and for large n will tend towards the odds for n+1).
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

surbiton said:

Your Maths is faulty and Surbiton's are correct
  • Options

surbiton said:

You are incorrect. (364/365)^253 = 0.4995
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Did Burnham expect Hunt to back down do you think?

I suspect Burnham panicked, saw what his leader was doing with the Daily Mail thing and decided to play the sympathy/victim card himself. The problem is that won't matter a fig in the austere and inquisitorial setting of a court of law. But my prediction is that Burnham will be ordered to climb down, regardless of how humiliating that will now be for him. Labour couldn't risk a trial.
  • Options
    *** BETTING POST ***

@pppolitics: Nigel Farage WILL stand as MP at next GE - which constituency? Boston&Skegness, Folkestone&Hythe joint 9/2 favs #UKIP http://t.co/gynHk1NaeY
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

surbiton said:

Fair enough , I misread your post and did not see Grandiose's post explaining that you were not doing the same calculation as Surbiton.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Fair enough , I misread your post and did not see Grandiose's post explaining that you were not doing the same calculation as Surbiton.
    And Surbiton was doing the wrong calculation, as the question was about the chances of somebody sharing a birthday with OGH.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Interesting that a substantial improvement in perception of Ed Miliband's performance among Labour voters is matched by a fall in those who think Labour will win a majority at the GE. Could it be that as Labour's core voters like what Ed is saying and doing, the floaters and others Labour needs to attract to get from 29% to 35+% are being turned off and looking elsewhere?
  • Options
    "Adam Afriyie comes out as a wally"

"Such pantomime misjudgment implies that the MP for Windsor is badly need of some professional PR. In fact, I can exclusively reveal, he already employs his own personal PR, though I won't embarrass the poor man by naming him. I met the guy recently and explained, as gently as possible, that he was handicapped by the fact that no one gave a toss what his client – a conceited schmoozer even by Tory standards – thought about anything. As he is discovering today."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100240000/adam-afriyie-comes-out-as-a-wally/

Quite........
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    edited October 2013

malcolmg said:

Does this look like the writing of a dumb (German/Irish) unionist? http://universitydiary.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/the-scottish-dimension/
    He certainly is far better informed and less derogatory than the majority on here. Does not mean he is correct , any idiot could write that charges or no charges a lot of poor people will not go to university. Hardly indepth research, only thing for sure is that is far more likely that less would go if money was involved and they were poor. No genius required and it is just another pointless load of bollocks from supposed academics who get paid huge amounts to state the bleeding obvious.

Could you also show where I said he was dumb.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

He certainly is far better informed and less derogatory than the majority on here. Does not mean he is correct , any idiot could write that charges or no charges a lot of poor people will not go to university. Hardly indepth research, only thing for sure is that is far more likely that less would go if money was involved and they were poor. No genius required and it is just another pointless load of bollocks from supposed academics who get paid huge amounts to state the bleeding obvious.

Could you also show where I said he was dumb.
    "only dumb unionists could try and support that bollocks notion"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

From earlier this week:

"The abolition of tuition fees has not encouraged more Scottish children from poor families to go to university, according to an expert report that raised major doubts whether the flagship SNP policy is good value for taxpayers."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10354393/Free-fees-does-not-help-poor-attend-Scottish-universities.html

Yes they would be far better off paying £9K a year rather than getting free education , only dumb unionists could try and support that bollocks notion , bit like the bedroom tax helping the poor and disabled.
  • Options
    Former cabinet minister Liam Fox successfully claimed 3p of taxpayers' money for a car journey of about 100 metres, expenses documents show.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    From Tom Bower on Ralph Miliband in today's ST "Later when the LSE revolt was history, I asked Griffith over a drink at the Colony Room Club: "What happened to Ralph during the revolution? Why did we not see him?"

"Ralph", replied Griffith, "was worried about his pension. He was afraid that if he supported the students he would get into trouble."
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/focus/article1323820.ece
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

with a name like that what more can I say,
    "In 2011 von Prondzynski was commissioned by Scottish Ministers to chair a review of higher education governance. The review was welcomed by student and staff representatives across the university sector.

.......The Scottish government welcomed the recommendations of the review, and the Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning announced to the Scottish Parliament that the government would implement its findings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_von_Prondzynski#Review_of_governance_of_Scottish_universities

• Options
    All Milliband needs to do to get in is keep shouting about Thatcher, The Daily Mail, Tories, nurses, hospitals and the usual lefty claptrap and with enough turn out of the client vote and the gerrymandering they put in place last time they were in power will see him home.

It seems they aren't doing that much preperation for what they're going to do when they actually get in control.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Former cabinet minister Liam Fox successfully claimed 3p of taxpayers' money for a car journey of about 100 metres, expenses documents show.

It was probably a set of journeys put into a spreadsheet/database and the expense automatically calculated. One of which happened to be rather short.

Either that or a typo.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    It will be remarkable if he goes backwards again in 2014
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

"Such pantomime misjudgment implies that the MP for Windsor is badly need of some professional PR. In fact, I can exclusively reveal, he already employs his own personal PR, though I won't embarrass the poor man by naming him. I met the guy recently and explained, as gently as possible, that he was handicapped by the fact that no one gave a toss what his client – a conceited schmoozer even by Tory standards – thought about anything. As he is discovering today."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100240000/adam-afriyie-comes-out-as-a-wally/

Quite........

Damian Thompson? Who he? Ah!a jounalist noted for his hard catholic views and calling anyone who disagrees with him crazy, deluded or barmy:

http://heresycorner.blogspot.com/2009/10/damian-thompsons-vicious-and-crazy.html

Carlotta cant bear the thought the the Tory party (she/he?) loves is about to be eviscerated in the coming GE.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Quite........

Damian Thompson? Who he?
    Got a babysitter for tonight?

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/kf5d231qce/YG-Archive-ESRC-Demos-Birkbeck-results-300713.pdf
  • Options
    Next said:

It was probably a set of journeys put into a spreadsheet/database and the expense automatically calculated. One of which happened to be rather short.

Either that or a typo.
    You're too generous to Dr Fox. I'd say there's a greater than 99 % probability that he's a grasping money grubber who claims for every last penny he can screw out of the public coffers.

• Options
    Millsy said:

It will be remarkable if he goes backwards again in 2014
    It will be unfortunate, for him & Labour, but possibly not remarkable....

• Options
    Might be worth a punt on AVB getting the boot at Spurs before Xmas.
  • Options
    "Protesters outside Daily Mail offices condemn 'campaign of hatred'
    About 200 leftwing campaigners, trade unionists and Muslim leaders join demonstration outside headquarters in London"

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/oct/06/protesters-daily-mail-offices-campaign?CMP=twt_fd

I expect the Mail is deeply troubled......how much free copy do they need?
  • Options

That 3p journey stuff is factually inaccurate. There is a disused railway line between the factory & the surgery. The road journey is about 3/4 of a mile. It shows that BBC, Mail, Times, Sunday People haven't bothered to read a road map. But lets go on a Fox Hunt. Fox is owed an apology on this.
  • Options

"The Coalition is taking the first steps towards an integrated police and fire service."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446274/JAMES-FORSYTH-How-Eds-energy-price-freeze-gave-George-shivers.html

To save money, of course.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

That 3p journey stuff is factually inaccurate. There is a disused railway line between the factory & the surgery. The road journey is about 3/4 of a mile. It shows that BBC, Mail, Times, Sunday People haven't bothered to read a road map. But lets go on a Fox Hunt. Fox is owed an apology on this.
    Your right he could have claimed 35p then

or walked
  • Options

About 200 leftwing campaigners, trade unionists and Muslim leaders join demonstration outside headquarters in London"

There's a horrible stench of mob rule that has crept out of the Leftist sewer in recent years. Okay, this cartoonish rabble - Owen Jones, Muslim 'leaders' etc. - isn't too much to worry about. But it makes you wonder what else Miliband could stir up if he put his mind to it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

or walked

Who knows what he was travelling with.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Overwhelmingly where there is an incident requiring a fire-engine there will also be a police presence, so it makes sense to integrate them to a certain extent. When I lived in the UK my local fire and police stations were next door to each other. Not sure how widespread that was/is but I doubt it is unique and would aid improved cooperation at the very least.

Consider this example of our fearless men in uniform tackling risky situations together: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/10204602/Cat-rescue-descends-into-farce-after-police-and-fire-service-close-road.html
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Life could be worse SO, you could have David Moyes.

I think AVB has been very impressive, bought well and coped admirably with losing his best player. I didn't see today's game but that is a truly remarkable result. Surely some sort of fluke.

• Options
    tim said:

Spurs fans are the other side of the coin to the PB Scottish Tory Surgers
    Three points off the top of the table and all is doom and gloom

3-0 loss to West Ham at home. That's another bottom 6 side AVB has failed to put away since he took over and he never seems to learn the lesson. They all come to WHL and play the same way, and AVB has no answer. If Spurs have a dodgy month now, it would be a huge surprise if he were still there come December. That's the way it is at Spurs. We always have our crises in the autumn. Hoddle, Jol and Ramos all got fired during that part of the season. And unlike any of them AVB has been backed to the hilt.

• Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

dr_spyn said:

or walked

Walked 3/4 mile.

Then walked 3/4 mile back again to pick up his car to go to the next appointment.

And been late.

How, exactly, does that help anyone?
  • Options

The idea has been thought through. The Police Authority do not have to buy ladders and can use fire engines for their blue light chases. After all, police cars and fire engines, both use sirens !
  • Options
    tim said:

@SO
    @DavidL

And Arsenal fans were going ape after the first game.
    Look at the money Man City have spent and they looked like boys against Bayern Munich.

Get used to the fact that this is an overrated league where lots of average teams are going to take points off each other

All correct. But on a betting site, forget that. Recent history shows that Spurs act swiftly when the season looks to be in trouble. Should the team not perform over the next month or so AVB will be under huge pressure.

• Options
    DavidL said:

I think AVB has been very impressive, bought well and coped admirably with losing his best player. I didn't see today's game but that is a truly remarkable result. Surely some sort of fluke.

AVB seems to be very one dimensional in his tactics and in how he lines the team up. I like him and think that on balance he is pretty decent, but he does have some serious faults - one of which is an inability to put away bottom half teams at home. Even when Spurs do beat them it is a struggle. And every now and again something like today happens.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    tim said:

@SO
    @DavidL

And Arsenal fans were going ape after the first game.
    Look at the money Man City have spent and they looked like boys against Bayern Munich.

Get used to the fact that this is an overrated league where lots of average teams are going to take points off each other

Bayern's performance against City was seriously impressive. More impressive to my mind that the Barca way of passing opponents to death even at its peak which was a few years ago now. In fact it reflected what used to be the best of Premiership qualities: skill, aggression and a phenomenal work rate.

The Premiership has lost a lot of ground but it is still good fun and wonderfully unpredictable. And the new Sky contract should mean Ozil is not the last genuinely world class player to come.

• Options
    Watched a Downfall spoof, as Hitler learns of Ozil's move to Arsenal.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @Next I'm not sure that the footpath is clear of brambles. The car drive is about 3/4 of a mile, as the estate with the surgery is hemmed in by a disused rail line.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Overwhelmingly where there is an incident requiring a fire-engine there will also be a police presence, so it makes sense to integrate them to a certain extent. When I lived in the UK my local fire and police stations were next door to each other. Not sure how widespread that was/is but I doubt it is unique and would aid improved cooperation at the very least.

Consider this example of our fearless men in uniform tackling risky situations together: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/10204602/Cat-rescue-descends-into-farce-after-police-and-fire-service-close-road.html
    Oh ! Great. We can then also merge the ambulance service with the police and fire services. After all, if there is a fire, there might be casualties. Why send an ambulance, when the fire engine also has got flashing blue lights !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

Oh ! Great. We can then also merge the ambulance service with the police and fire services. After all, if there is a fire, there might be casualties. Why send an ambulance, when the fire engine also has got flashing blue lights !
    Apart from your stupid comment about the flashing lights ... yes, to merge at least the coordinated responses of all three services into a seamless emergency unit would have significant advantages for the public.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited October 2013

DavidL said:

AVB seems to be very one dimensional in his tactics and in how he lines the team up. I like him and think that on balance he is pretty decent, but he does have some serious faults - one of which is an inability to put away bottom half teams at home. Even when Spurs do beat them it is a struggle. And every now and again something like today happens.

All AVB needs to do to survive the next month is to get Paul Dacre to print revelations about his forebears.

With a full name of Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas, an uncle who is the Viscount of Guilhomil and a paternal grandmother, Margaret Kendall, who was a wine merchant with connections to Cheshire, there is plenty of opportunity for good copy.

An outrageous headline, a public complaint and no apology should result in a 45 point bounce in ratings from Spurs fans. This should be enough to see him through to Christmas.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Overwhelmingly where there is an incident requiring a fire-engine there will also be a police presence, so it makes sense to integrate them to a certain extent.

Which service should attend this one?

@bethfranklinuk
    Oops! RT: "@robmckenzieuk: I wonder if this Police Collision Investigation Unit can do its own investigation??? pic.twitter.com/EnsQBBB5FL"
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

All AVB needs to do to survive the next month is to get Paul Dacre to print revelations about his forebears.

With a full name of Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas, an uncle who is the Viscount of Guilhomil and a paternal grandmother, Margaret Kendall, who was a wine merchant with connections to Cheshire, there is plenty of opportunity for good copy.

A 45 point bounce in ratings from Spurs fans should see him through to Christmas.

As he's not going to be a British traitor and all round bad egg like Ralph Miliband then I suspect Dacre will have his work cut out to better his recent efforts. If Margaret Kendall, wine merchant, was also moonlighting as a farmer in Cheshire then there's potential for a family scandal :)

• Options
    Scott_P said:

GeoffM said:

Overwhelmingly where there is an incident requiring a fire-engine there will also be a police presence, so it makes sense to integrate them to a certain extent.

Which service should attend this one?

@bethfranklinuk
    Oops! RT: "@robmckenzieuk: I wonder if this Police Collision Investigation Unit can do its own investigation??? pic.twitter.com/EnsQBBB5FL"
    Ah, yes, that's a classic isn't it? Never fails to make me smile.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

48 hours?
    A decent marksman should be able to get that vermin out of the tree in 5 minutes.
    Or starve it down
    No need to be so aggressive, tim.

If you leave a cat in a tree, it will eventually float down.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    My local pub showed the Spurs and Arsenal games live... West Ham played really well, it certainly wasn't a case of Spurs being dominant but not putting inferior opposition away. Morrisons goal was quality he looks a real player.

Can't have Defoe playing as the sole striker, doesn't suit his game at all at the top level, although seems to get away with it on a Thursday night
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

48 hours?
    A decent marksman should be able to get that vermin out of the tree in 5 minutes.
    Or starve it down

Indeed. When was the last time you saw a cat skeleton in a tree?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    GeoffM said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

48 hours?
    Or starve it down

Indeed. When was the last time you saw a cat skeleton in a tree?

Never. But some do think that floating cats turn blue after hitting the ground.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

48 hours?
    Or starve it down

If you just leave it, it will float down.

How do the emergency services decide which pets they rescue, if some sad bastard befriends a squirrel do they come round and get it down out of the tree?
    I assume that they send out fire crews bcause the 999 operators can't stand the whining any more.

"My rabbit is stuck down a hole, please send a fire engine"

"Would a ferret suffice?"
    A decision is only taken after an inreach co-ordinator submits a potential impact and needs analysis report (PINAR) to the applicable local council. And then only implemented on a two thirds majority vote in the cabinet.

Mark Senior has the details.

• Options
    isam said:

My local pub showed the Spurs and Arsenal games live... West Ham played really well, it certainly wasn't a case of Spurs being dominant but not putting inferior opposition away. Morrisons goal was quality he looks a real player.

Can't have Defoe playing as the sole striker, doesn't suit his game at all at the top level, although seems to get away with it on a Thursday night

Before today I had my fears for West Ham, but I think we may survive the season :)
  • Options
    tim said:

How do the emergency services decide which pets they rescue, if some sad bastard befriends a squirrel do they come round and get it down out of the tree?

The Fire Service don't respond directly to animal rescue requests. You have to call the RSPCA, who will send someone round, who will then make a judgement if ladders and hoses are needed. Only then will the Fire Brigade be summoned. (I speak not from my own experience, I must stress, but from that of a friend and cat owner.)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Evening all :)

Stunning performance by Treve to win the Arc this afternoon.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2013
    The definitive word on emergency services and pet call outs: Tackleberry

http://tinyurl.com/mjnmlsh
  • Options
    tim said:

Did said vermin owner get billed?

Not to my knowledge. Apparently a lot of witless owners try climbing the tree themselves. However, the stuck moggie is normally so distressed it lashes out at the loving owner with its talons causing the owner to fall and break a limb or two. So I suppose the current procedure saves the NHS in the long run.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

GeoffM said:

surbiton said:

48 hours?
    Or starve it down

If you just leave it, it will float down.

I assume that they send out fire crews bcause the 999 operators can't stand the whining any more.

"My rabbit is stuck down a hole, please send a fire engine"

"Would a ferret suffice?"
    lol,give up lad.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited October 2013
    I once saw the fire brigade rescuing a seagull in St James St. I fact I just found a picture of the drama on twitter.

FireBrigade rescue trapped #Seagull #HappyDays #Brighton

Edit: weird. Won't post - and I'd copied the tweet not the photo. Anyway, you'll just have to imagine the tender scene.
  • Options
    Carola said:

I once saw the fire brigade rescuing a seagull in St James St. I fact I just found a picture of the drama on twitter.

Edit: weird. Won't post - and I'd copied the tweet not the photo. Anyway, you'll just have to imagine the tender scene.

Copy the CONTENT of the tweet rather than the link to it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Carola said:

Hi. I thought I had. Did the same as I've been doing of late (to avoid the bandwidth issue thing) anyway.

*tries again*

Edit - nope.
  • Options
    Later this week Ed Miliband will reshuffle his shadow cabinet. Or he will if Andy Burnham lets him. Labour’s shadow health secretary has effectively declared UDI; challenging Miliband in the press, commencing legal action against Jeremy Hunt over the Mid Staffs scandal and courting Labour activists at last month’s party conference. Whether or not to sack Burnham has become this month’s make-or-break test of Miliband’s leadership. But whatever happens, one shadow cabinet member is in for a surprise promotion: Ed Miliband.

It’s become clear to his team that their framing of Prime Minister Miliband isn’t working. So they’ve opted for a new one: President Miliband. Efforts to build a collaborative image, with Miliband as Labour’s Zen-like primus inter pares, will be dropped. Everything Labour says and does will be built around the leader himself.

The campaign launched in Brighton, to rave reviews. Speaking without notes, Miliband set out his prospectus for power. There was no attempt to talk up the party brand. Only the Miliband brand.

“We intend to frame the differences in leadership and character between Ed and David Cameron,” said a source. “That’s the strategy. It will not be changing.”
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100240015/to-be-presidential-you-need-to-be-popular/
  • Options
    tim said:

Carola said:

"A crowd of children eating chicken McNuggets gathered round as the seagull was rescued so it could be poisoned by the council the following week."

Am I close?

Probably a cat got it.
  • Options

tim said:

Did said vermin owner get billed?

Not to my knowledge. Apparently a lot of witless owners try climbing the tree themselves. However, the stuck moggie is normally so distressed it lashes out at the loving owner with its talons causing the owner to fall and break a limb or two. So I suppose the current procedure saves the NHS in the long run.
    All we are doing by patching these idiots up is getting in the way of Darwinism and natural selection.

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited October 2013
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Hi. I thought I had. Did the same as I've been doing of late (to avoid the bandwidth issue thing) anyway.

*tries again*

Edit - nope.
    [sigh] Do I have to do everything :)

Sunny O ‏@ChiefWakaWaka 20 Apr FireBrigade rescue trapped #Seagull #HappyDays #Brighton
    http://t.co/pFVwJoX0zm

[what I did was right-click the image-link on its full Twitterpage and "copied the short-cut"]
  • Options
    Coverage of the foundation of The Ottoman Empire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03d0d5d

Might be worth a look. Will they look at the collapse in part 3 - Balkan Wars, WWI Greek War, Population Exchanges etc.
  • Options

Carola said:

Carola said:

*tries again*

Edit - nope.
    [sigh] Do I have to everything :)

Sunny O ‏@ChiefWakaWaka 20 Apr FireBrigade rescue trapped #Seagull #HappyDays #Brighton
    http://t.co/pFVwJoX0zm

[what I did was right-click the image-link on its full Twitterpage and "copied the short-cut"]
    Cheers mod :)

Lord knows what political betting opportunities would have been missed without that getting posted on here ;) Phew!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Being picketed by that trio, is only likely to encourage your average Daily Mail hack, being hated by that lot would make them think they are on the button.

There's a horrible stench of mob rule that has crept out of the Leftist sewer in recent years. Okay, this cartoonish rabble - Owen Jones, Muslim 'leaders' etc. - isn't too much to worry about. But it makes you wonder what else Miliband could stir up if he put his mind to it.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Scott_P said:

*** BETTING POST ***

@pppolitics: Nigel Farage WILL stand as MP at next GE - which constituency? Boston&Skegness, Folkestone&Hythe joint 9/2 favs #UKIP http://t.co/gynHk1NaeY

I've been away for the weekend but catching up with reading I see the weekend FT said he would stand in South Thanet?
  • Options
    Neil said:

I've been away for the weekend but catching up with reading I see the weekend FT said he would stand in South Thanet?

Yes, and then I think he denied it on TV this morning.
This discussion has been closed.