Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling analysis finds that enthusiasm for Brexit amongst

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling analysis finds that enthusiasm for Brexit amongst working class voters is fading

The data in this chart above has been extrapolated by the political scientist, Prof Matt Goodwin and shows a pretty clear picture about the view on Brexit amongst the C2DEs – working class voters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Hmm. There’s a lot being read into a few subsamples.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Bregret surge klaxon?

Not as good as the old Scottish Tory surge klaxon...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2018
    So even based on this poll which has a 6% lead for Remain overall most working class voters would still back Leave (and likely by a higher margin given Leave did far better in the actual referendum than most final polls suggested).

Indeed were Brexit to be reversed and free movement left in place because middle class voters narrowly won a second EU referendum for Remain this poll also suggests potential for a far right populist anti immigration party amongst the working class similar to what Bannon is trying to do with Tommy Robinson supporters, based on the old UKIP vote. Indeed Yougov recently had up to 25% willing to vote for such a hard right anti immigration party and 38% for a pro Brexit party.

Remember too Labour did better with lower middle class C1s at the last general election than skilled working class C2s who voted Tory. While C1s divided almost equally between Remain and Leave at the EU referendum almost two thirds of C2s voted Leave. Labour support is now stronger amongst the unskilled working class and unemployed DEs and the lower middle class C1s than it is with the skilled working class C2s who are a very pro Brexit group (and also the biggest class of voters for Trump)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited August 2018
    If you're looking at subsamples you're losing. If there's a fundamental change of opinion it would be obvious.

Given that we don't see this change in the headline figures I assume that the ABC1 subsample is steady, or trending in the other direction.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So even based on this poll which has a 6% lead for Remain overall most working class voters would still back Leave (and likely by a higher margin given Leave did far better in the actual referendum than most final polls suggested).

Indeed were Brexit to be reversed and free movement left in place because middle class voters narrowly won a second EU referendum for Remain this poll also suggests potential for a far right populist anti immigration party amongst the working class similar to what Bannon is trying to do with Tommy Robinson supporters, based on the old UKIP vote. Indeed Yougov recently had up to 25% willing to vote for such a hard right anti immigration party and 38% for a pro Brexit party.

Remember too Labour did better with lower middle class C1s at the last general election than skilled working class C2s who voted Tory. Labour support is now strongest amongst the unskilled working class and unemployed DEs and the lower middle class C1s than it is with the skilled working class C2s who are the most pro Brexit group

You can’t reinterpret opinion polls like that. YouGov will have made corrections following the referendum result and the last election. There are hints in the figures that they might actually be understating Remain’s lead now.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

Hmm. There’s a lot being read into a few subsamples.

Allowing a subsample caveat there does appear to be a trend here. I guess this is the group most susceptible to slogans on buses about the NHS.
  • Options
    FPT:

1) Owen Jones is not a journalist, any more than I am.
    2) He, and Jeremy Corbyn, are unquestionably right about the very limited social set from which far too many journalists come, and watching them close ranks in the face of criticism is unedifying.
    3) Newspapers are in a death spiral. Now is not the time for more onerous regulation. It’s missing the main target anyway, which is the online providers of news.

My thoughts exactly. Great post.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    @HYUFD - No, this is based on analysis of the subsamples of the regular YouGov VI tracker including the Brexit right/wrong question.

On the large 10,000+ second referendum poll, the result for C2DEs is:

Remain: 43%
    Leave: 57%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/tu6k2mk5wu/PeoplesVoteResults_Wave2_180821_GB_website.pdf
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598
    Labour conference is being spammed with dozens of identical motions from CLPs calling for a second referendum. I can't see how it won't be debated.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,039
    edited August 2018
    Fpt
    A somewhat obtuse typo if I may say so.
    ydoethur said:

New thread, where people may, if they wish, continue arguing about how many angles can dance on the head of a pin, er, customs arrangements.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2018
    This is all a bit theological for me. When and if HMG announce a second referendum, I might perk up and take an interest.

PS Any right thinking Eurofederalist in the EU27 isn't going to want to touch the UK with a bargepole. In that context, the UK is the crazy person who sits next to you on the tube.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Morris Dancer’s bet on Raikkonen for pole is looking good.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Remember too Labour did better with lower middle class C1s at the last general election than skilled working class C2s who voted Tory. Labour support is now strongest amongst the unskilled working class and unemployed DEs and the lower middle class C1s than it is with the skilled working class C2s who are the most pro Brexit group

You can’t reinterpret opinion polls like that. YouGov will have made corrections following the referendum result and the last election. There are hints in the figures that they might actually be understating Remain’s lead now.
    Not eith the silent Leavers and unknowns who won it for Leave.

As was posted in the previous thread some 2016 Leavers are now saying don't know rather than shifting to Remain
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

As was posted in the previous thread some 2016 Leavers are now saying don't know rather than shifting to Remain

The most plausible theory is that they've become silent Remainers.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

@HYUFD - No, this is based on analysis of the subsamples of the regular YouGov VI tracker including the Brexit right/wrong question.

On the large 10,000+ second referendum poll, the result for C2DEs is:

Remain: 43%
    Leave: 57%

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/tu6k2mk5wu/PeoplesVoteResults_Wave2_180821_GB_website.pdf

So that reinforces my point even more, if Leave is still ahead by over 10% with working class voters it would be middle class voters who would narrowly win any second EU referendum for Remain (indeed Remain leads by 17% with middle class voters on that poll) giving huge potential for a hard right anti immigration Bannon, Farage and Banks post UKIP party amongst the working class if Brexit is then reversed and free movement left in place
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

FPT:

2) He, and Jeremy Corbyn, are unquestionably right about the very limited social set from which far too many journalists come, and watching them close ranks in the face of criticism is unedifying.
    3) Newspapers are in a death spiral. Now is not the time for more onerous regulation. It’s missing the main target anyway, which is the online providers of news.

I agree. Alastair has a real talent for brevity.
    Amazing the other pensions lawyers tolerate it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You can’t assume that all those voters will revert to Leave. Why would they admit to voting Leave in 2016, say “don’t know” now if they would definitely vote Leave tomorrow? That’s intermittent shyness.

Besides, in the megapoll, both Remainers and Leavers were overrepresented in the unweighted sample (Remainers much more so). Not much sign of shyness there.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Fpt
    A somewhat obtuse typo if I may say so.

New thread, where people may, if they wish, continue arguing about how many angles can dance on the head of a pin, er, customs arrangements.

Autocorrect actually gave me 'Angela' the first time around. Should have left it that way.
  • Options

Labour conference is being spammed with dozens of identical motions from CLPs calling for a second referendum. I can't see how it won't be debated.

Not spammed. They will get composited together into a singe motion.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330

I think many supporters of a second referendum (which I do) are overhyping this opportunity. They're right to keep the idea bubbling, but the time to commit to it is when we have a bad deal, as it will then be supported both by Remainders and by Leavers who don't like the deal. If the conference embraces it, it will be seen as a purely Remainder gesture. The right leadership response is to keep the possibility of a referendum open, but only if the deal is unsatisfactory (which it will be), and I expect the conference will adopt a composite to that effect.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You can’t assume that all those voters will revert to Leave. Why would they admit to voting Leave in 2016, say “don’t know” now if they would definitely vote Leave tomorrow? That’s intermittent shyness.

Besides, in the megapoll, both Remainers and Leavers were overrepresented in the unweighted sample (Remainers much more so). Not much sign of shyness there.
    On the megapoll double the number of 'Don't Knows' voted Leave compared to those who voted Remain
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    ***Betting Post***
    Lewis Hamilton is 3.65 for pole at Spa.
    Mercedes have just sent Bottas, who’ll start at the back, into Q3. The only reason for doing this is to give Hamilton a tow along the straight in Q3. Less than a tenth of a second between Lewis and the Ferraris in Q2.
    Edit. And it’s just started raining, which throws everything up in the air.
    Edit2. It’s stopped raining! Welcome to Spa.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On the megapoll double the number of 'Don't Knows' voted Leave compared to those who voted Remain
    Yes, which clearly implies that people who voted Leave are more unsure of that vote than people who voted Remain. The Leave vote is softening.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

FPT:

No one - I mean no one - wants to talk more than necessary about pensions law.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited August 2018

Is it a social set or, in reality, a set derived from groups who have an interest in and facility for writing?

That may well lead to an over-representation from certain social classes - but in order to report the news, you need to have - I would say - above average literacy and various other skills. Those are far, far, far more important than which school you attended or what your parents did for a living.

If we don't have journalists who can write in such a way that people want to read, there is no point in having them at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. The poll is telling us that more Leavers are doubting the wisdom of their decision than Remainers. No need to dig beneath the surface.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

FPT:

Indeed and Corbyn's background along with his key team members would not bear the scruting he wishes for other institutions.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

FPT:

Not even those who are very well paid to do just that? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Chaos at Spa as it starts chucking it down just as the 12 minute Q3 session starts. Anything could happen now.
  • Options
    Regarding deselection - which keeps being raised as what Labour MPs can expect. I disagree - even if the rules are changed so that mandatory reselection comes in most MPs will walk it. Most CLPs are not Kali Ma and though the crazies are noisy mostly they are few.
  • Options

Regarding deselection - which keeps being raised as what Labour MPs can expect. I disagree - even if the rules are changed so that mandatory reselection comes in most MPs will walk it. Most CLPs are not Kali Ma and though the crazies are noisy mostly they are few.

What happens if the boundary changes go through?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, which clearly implies that people who voted Leave are more unsure of that vote than people who voted Remain. The Leave vote is softening.
    In the end in 2016 most 'Don't Knows' went for Leave, had they not done so Remain would have won.

As I also pointed out amongst working class voters on the megapoll the Leave vote is not softening, Leave is over 10% ahead with working class voters. Remain leads by 17% with middle class voters so if Remain won a second EU referendum it would be due to the middle class. That then gives big potential for a hard right anti immigration party to make inroads with the working class if free movement were left in place
  • Options

But the disruption that such a process would create would be very damaging.

You only have to look at the way the crazies have taken over Brighton Labour to see how destructive they can be when they put their minds to it.

Imagine having that legitimised by official party policy. It only takes small group to cause chaos for established councillors and MPs.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. The poll is telling us that more Leavers are doubting the wisdom of their decision than Remainers. No need to dig beneath the surface.
    In 2016 most final polls had Remain ahead much like this one, it was the 'Don't Knows' who won it for Leave
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

At the margins, the poll tells us more Leavers doubt their decision than Remainers. The main takeaways though are that not enough Leavers are changing their minds to be confident of reversing the result and few that voted Remain have accepted the result and want to move on. But we knew that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In 2016 most final polls had Remain ahead much like this one, it was the 'Don't Knows' who won it for Leave
    You have no reason to assume the current “don’t knows” would break for Leave more than YouGov has already assumed.
  • Options
    Go Lewis!!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

FPT:

No. They sit at their desks staring out the window, dreaming of their past youth and the girl they never asked out, then consider their fat guts and the death of unspoken dreams and briefly weep. Then they get the calculations wrong and charge you a grand.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have no reason to assume the current “don’t knows” would break for Leave more than YouGov has already assumed.
    Based on 2016 I do
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What boundary changes? In the middle of Brexit you think Tory and DUP MPs are going to vote to lose their seats? Its as dead as the last attempt
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

FPT:

No. They sit at their desks staring out the window, dreaming of their past youth and the girl they never asked out, then consider their fat guts and the death of unspoken dreams and briefly weep. Then they get the calculations wrong and charge you a grand.
    What's the name of your pensions lawyer?

Sounds nice and cheap...

(Sorry, Alastair!)
  • Options
    surbysurby Posts: 1,227

Agreed. Isn't mandatory re-selection what they call Primaries is the US ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do
    Based on 2016 you merely have a straw to clutch at. The nature of systematic polling errors or 'shy voter' effects changes all the time.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What boundary changes? In the middle of Brexit you think Tory and DUP MPs are going to vote to lose their seats? Its as dead as the last attempt
    The Tories will have the mother of all three line whips on it, with plenty of retirees kicked upstairs to the red benches if that’s what’s required. The DUP are also now in favour. Maybe Jeremy will organise an “Islington friends of Palestine” meeting on the same night, just to make sure it passes.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MJW said:

Tuition fees is a total landmine for a Corbynista government. It's got the potential to piss off so many more people than is currently imagined if you game it through. It's supposedly going to be paid for by increasing corporation tax to 26%, raising £19bn, £13bn of which would go to tuition fees. Fine, until you realise that £19bn is the figure you get when you don't factor in any behavioural changes. The last time we had corp tax at 26% we raised in cash terms roughly what we do now. Now, that's not to say you wouldn't raise *some* money from it. The past figure was when we were still recovering from recession - but nothing like £19bn. And of course what's not factored in is a potential recession, or the potential harshening of the business climate and decrease in Britain's competitiveness due to Brexit. Even if Labour do manage to mitigate any damage from Brexit (a big if), and other measures don't impact on the corporation tax haul (almost impossible to imagine) there's a huge blackhole. So you'll have to delve into general taxation - which will infuriate those who have to pay it.

Worse though, is that you'll really annoy Labour's core support among the 'jilted generation' of 20 to 35 year olds. Because they will have paid tuition fees, and if you don't write theirs off (not currently factored in to Labour plans) too, they'll be mighty pissed off as they'll end up paying twice over - despite their disillusionment at being the generation who are worse off than their elders being a huge reason for any Labour electoral Those currently losing £100 to £150 they can ill afford after rent out of every pay cheque aren't going to take kindly to being the highest taxed people in the country. I know, because that's me. I don't mind it too much at the minute - I don't mind paying tax for decent services, but I'll be damned if I'll be made poorer because Jezza doesn't understand economics or simple adding up.

So what do you do? If you write them off it's a massive middle-class tax cut, at a time you're going to need every penny to reverse the austerity measures that are your cri de coeur, deal with any Brexit teething problems and boost infrastructure and reform the economy.

It has the potential to be a 10p tax rate, the Lib Dem tuition fee fiasco and anger at austerity all rolled into one - all targeted at the group of voters who are currently driving

This is a great post and deserved reposting on the new thread. One of the first signs that Corbyn was talking about free owls was his verbal pledge he would get rid of all student debt as well, but he wasn't quite sure how.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,104
    HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

Given the shit they get heaped on them by the Remainers, is it surprising that plenty of Leavers just keep ther heads down and say nothing to no-one on Brexit? Even on here, you need the hide of a rhino to admit to voting Brexit.

But shy Brexiteers stalk the land. Try taking it away from them to see how many there are.....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

At the margins, the poll tells us more Leavers doubt their decision than Remainers. The main takeaways though are that not enough Leavers are changing their minds to be confident of reversing the result and few that voted Remain have accepted the result and want to move on. But we knew that.

This finding is perhaps more significant. Given that 'no deal' isn't a real world option, people who say they prefer it are in reality 'don't knows' going into a second referendum.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

***Betting Post***
    Lewis Hamilton is 3.65 for pole at Spa.
    Mercedes have just sent Bottas, who’ll start at the back, into Q3. The only reason for doing this is to give Hamilton a tow along the straight in Q3. Less than a tenth of a second between Lewis and the Ferraris in Q2.
    Edit. And it’s just started raining, which throws everything up in the air.
    Edit2. It’s stopped raining! Welcome to Spa.

Edit3. It ended up pissing it down for five minutes, I was right but for the wrong reasons.
    Bookies don’t care about reasons though! Profit :+1:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed were Brexit to be reversed and free movement ow strongest amongst the unskilled working class and unemployed DEs and the lower middle class C1s than it is with the skilled working class C2s who are the most pro Brexit group

Based on 2016 I do
    Based on 2016 you merely have a straw to clutch at. The nature of systematic polling errors or 'shy voter' effects changes all the time.
    Even if there is no 'shy' voter effect and Remain does narrowly win all the polling shows that would be down to the middle class vote, more working class voters would vote Leave than Remain.

That then leaves a big gap in the market for Farage, Banks and Bannon to launch a successor party to UKIP targeting that working class Leave vote on a hard right anti immigration agenda, especially if free movement was left in place exactly as it was before the original referendum vote
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That then leaves a big gap in the market for Farage, Banks and Bannon to launch a successor party to UKIP targeting that working class Leave vote on a hard right anti immigration agenda, especially if free movement was left in place exactly as it was before the original referendum vote

And fobbing them off with a 'mobility framework' while overall migration stays the same wouldn't leave the same gap in the market?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

Given the shit they get heaped on them by the Remainers, is it surprising that plenty of Leavers just keep ther heads down and say nothing to no-one on Brexit? Even on here, you need the hide of a rhino to admit to voting Brexit.

But shy Brexiteers stalk the land. Try taking it away from them to see how many there are.....
    Yes and as I have said before the refusal to listen to the message sent by the 2016 referendum result could I am afraid to say unleash some very nasty forces indeed if Remain scrapes a win in a second EU referendum
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,104
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

Yes and as I have said before the refusal to listen to the message sent by the 2016 referendum result could I am afraid to say unleash some very nasty forces indeed if Remain scrapes a win in a second EU referendum
    If Remain lost again, do you think they would finally STFU?

I have severe doubts.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    surby said:

Agreed - there's lots of personal loyalty out there. The exception would be if an MP has repeatedly said that they would not support a Labour government (under the current leadership). It makes no sense (and would completely baffle voters) to have a Labour candidate who if elected would then vote against forming a government. An MP who reserves the right to differ on something if it arises (e.g. who takes a different position on Brexit) would be nothing out of the ordinary and wouldn't lead to deselection.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I disagree. One of the beauties of this country is that we, by and large, aren't French. We won't be burning cars or firebombing Marks and Spencer.

I do think it would be a tragedy in terms of our contribution to democracy and respect for the electorate, but that's far too abstract for most people to give two shits about.

In political terms, we could potentially see a UKIP-a-like party splitting the right of centre vote, which could mean a fairly lengthy spell of Labour administration.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I disagree. One of the beauties of this country is that we, by and large, aren't French. We won't be burning cars or firebombing Marks and Spencer.

I do think it would be a tragedy in terms of our contribution to democracy and respect for the electorate, but that's far too abstract for most people to give two shits about.

In political terms, we could potentially see a UKIP-a-like party splitting the right of centre vote, which could mean a fairly lengthy spell of Labour administration.
    UKIP won a significant number of Labour votes in 2015 hence Labour lost e.g. Vale of Clwyd in 2015 but won it in 2017.

We would have our own Front National, AfD, Swedish Democrats as a result
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.
    Nope a second referendum would solve little
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.
    I don't see why anyone with strong beliefs should STFU. Whatever happens, Europe and the UK's place in it is going to be a divisive topic.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2018
    "Far right comes out for Jeremy Corbyn
    MP poised to quit over Labour leader’s ‘Zionist’ slur as ex-BNP and Ku Klux Klan chiefs show support"
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eb1ee7bc-a7e7-11e8-81b1-5f6c4c87b639
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.
    If anyone thinks the last three years in politics have been divisive, asking the same question again of the electorate will massively increase the division within society.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MP poised to quit over Labour leader’s ‘Zionist’ slur as ex-BNP and Ku Klux Klan chiefs show support"

The likes of Nick Griffin overtly supporting Corbyn on antisemitism could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back among moderate Labour MPs.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

rkrkrk said:

FPT:

Presumably why they are happy to pay others handsomely to do so!
  • Options

surby said:

Agreed - there's lots of personal loyalty out there. The exception would be if an MP has repeatedly said that they would not support a Labour government (under the current leadership). It makes no sense (and would completely baffle voters) to have a Labour candidate who if elected would then vote against forming a government. An MP who reserves the right to differ on something if it arises (e.g. who takes a different position on Brexit) would be nothing out of the ordinary and wouldn't lead to deselection.
    Its not even about personal loyalty. Its that despite the 550k members (exaggerated to 800k on Facebook...) only a small handful do anything. Assuming that we ended up with a mandatory selection meeting for every seat you would still only get the usual activists turning out to the meeting.

A minority of angry crazies think all members should pledge fealty to Jezbollah and give him the same kind of loyalty he failed to give to any leader before him. But they are absolutely the minority. Up the road from me they foam at the mouth in anger about Anna Turley. As much as anything because they know they don't remotely have the numbers needed to remove her.

Here's the question. Members join the party. And noisily denounce Labour MPs as the enemy. And Labour officials. Labour CLP execs. Labour Councillors. Labour Council leaders. And despite clearly being entryists deny being entryists. Why then do a small number of existing members provide these people succour? You join a party its usually because you believe in it. Not because you don't. Tories have it right - Banks to local Tory Association "can I join please so I can change your leader your policies and your rules?" Tory Association to Banks: "Bugger Orf"
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.
    If anyone thinks the last three years in politics have been divisive, asking the same question again of the electorate will massively increase the division within society.
    The context is different now than it was in 2016. Gove and Johnson can no longer say that a vote to Leave will cause a domino effect that will bring down the EU, because we have agreed to a process that will end with a deal on the EU's terms.

Now the choice will clearly be between different kinds of relationship with the EU: either membership with a say, or a peripheral relationship in the EU's sphere of influence.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

The likes of Nick Griffin overtly supporting Corbyn on antisemitism could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back among moderate Labour MPs.
    Unlikely.

We are getting a few more tweets. But no action. They are increasingly complicit in this mess.

If they aren't prepared to act or walk away, they are allowing Corbyn and his cult to continue unopposed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Importantly the final online polls called Brexit narrowly for Leave, including Yougov. They shouldn't need much tweaking to be right.

The sands are shifting against Brexit.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Don’t be silly. The problem is what is left of the moderate MPs, most of the leading ones are totally wets. If chuka umunna was leading you into battle I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to find just as everybody charges forward, he instantly turned about face and ran away.

The only one with some guts is mrs cooper balls.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Don’t be silly. The problem is what is left of the moderate MPs, most of the leading ones are totally wets. If chuka umunna was leading you into battle I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to find just as everybody charges forward, he instantly turned about face and ran away.

When, to evade Destruction's hand,
    To hide they all proceeded,
    No soldier in that gallant band
    Hid half as well as he did.
    He lay concealed throughout the war,
    And so preserved his gore, O!
    That unaffected,
    Undetected,
    Well connected
    Warrior,
    The Duke of Plaza-Toro!
    In every doughty deed, ha, ha!
    He always took the lead, ha, ha!
    That unaffected,
    Undetected,
    Well connected
    Warrior,
    The Duke of Plaza-Toro!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Unlikely.

We are getting a few more tweets. But no action. They are increasingly complicit in this mess.

If they aren't prepared to act or walk away, they are allowing Corbyn and his cult to continue unopposed.
    We’ll see, but I agree that if they don’t resign they’re facilitating and complicit in a racist party under Corbyn.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

If she had guts, she would be leading a new vote of no confidence or leading a breakaway movement of some sort.

She has been silent.

And I don't believe she is working behind the scenes to remove Corbyn.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.
    The context is different now than it was in 2016. Gove and Johnson can no longer say that a vote to Leave will cause a domino effect that will bring down the EU, because we have agreed to a process that will end with a deal on the EU's terms.

Now the choice will clearly be between different kinds of relationship with the EU: either membership with a say, or a peripheral relationship in the EU's sphere of influence.
    The Leave campaign of a second referendum will be all about democracy. The people have told the elites to leave the EU once already, why are we being asked the same question again?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    O/T
    "I got some bad news this week. I discovered that I’m a ‘privileged, white male’. It was my agent who broke it to me. We were talking about the trouble he’s having in finding a publisher for my book — a work of non-fiction — when the following exchange took place.
    Me: What’s wrong with my book?
    Agent: There’s nothing wrong with your book. It’s brilliant. It’s moving. It’s funny.
    Me: OK. So what’s the problem?
    Agent: You’re the problem.
    Me: Excuse me?
    Agent: You’re a middle-aged, privileged white man. You’re out of fashion — and so is your book. Publishers think you’re too male. Too white. Things are difficult for writers like you at the moment."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/stop-calling-me-a-privileged-white-man-im-more-than-that/
  • Options
    Because those interested in having a party have been totally infiltrated by those interested in having a riot.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.

The Leave campaign of a second referendum will be all about democracy. The people have told the elites to leave the EU once already, why are we being asked the same question again?
    But what effect would such an argument have on the average Leave voter? Nothing sways them except xenophobic lies, I read on here.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.

A campaign based on that message would crash and burn within a week.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.
    We must have a referendum on division.

"Is the UK divided?
    Divided: 50%
    Not divided: 50%"

:)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    edited August 2018
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Unlikely.

We’ll see, but I agree that if they don’t resign they’re facilitating and complicit in a racist party under Corbyn.
    And if they do resign they are facillitating and complicit in a racist government led by Boris or whoever
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I know I harp on about bad luck this year, but it's justified.

Backed Raikkonen to be top 2. He was looking good for that. Then it started to rain. No matter, he was fastest. Then he came into the pits. It started drying out. He finished nowhere, and had no chance to improve.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Why are we always looking at these numbers about whether brexit was a mistake? The question that matters is whether we should seek to reverse it. Why look at this indirect signifier when we can just ask directly?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T
    "I got some bad news this week. I discovered that I’m a ‘privileged, white male’. It was my agent who broke it to me. We were talking about the trouble he’s having in finding a publisher for my book — a work of non-fiction — when the following exchange took place.
    Agent: There’s nothing wrong with your book. It’s brilliant. It’s moving. It’s funny.
    Agent: You’re a middle-aged, privileged white man. You’re out of fashion — and so is your book. Publishers think you’re too male. Too white. Things are difficult for writers like you at the moment."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/stop-calling-me-a-privileged-white-man-im-more-than-that/

My heart bleeds
  • Options

Why are we always looking at these numbers about whether brexit was a mistake? The question that matters is whether we should seek to reverse it. Why look at this indirect signifier when we can just ask directly?

Because the Remoaners sponsoring the polls know they’ll not like the results.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Unlikely.

Exactly - so much for principles
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Actually, they probably would. DNVers and C2DEs aren't as easy to poll - particularly not the bogus Twitter polls we often see. The polling companies work hard, but it's still a challenge.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Seriously - if someone had said this would happen 5 years ago you would have said they were bonkers.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Unlikely.

And if they do resign they are facillitating and complicit in a racist government led by Boris or whoever
    If that fiction comforts you then you are among the complicit yourself. Your tribal loyalty to the brand is exposed for what it is.
  • Options

Isn't it far to late now?

Even if you are happy with the idea of sticking 2 fingers up at democracy.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

So why do we hear so much about them on this site?

Maybe I'm terribly naive, but this site is called political betting. The whole appeal for me is the idea that when people have skin in the game, they're more motivated to try to make accurate predictions. But almost all I see here is spin, which is antithetical to making good predictions. Does anybody- and I mean anybody- care about actually estimating the chance of, say, a second referendum so they can make some money betting, more than they care about cheerleading their preferred outcome?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

O/T

My heart bleeds
    Do you think a book should be judged by who wrote it rather than its contents?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sandpit said:

Actually, they probably would. DNVers and C2DEs aren't as easy to poll - particularly not the bogus Twitter polls we often see. The polling companies work hard, but it's still a challenge.
    IIRC, When they have asked this question, a significant number of people who think brexit is a mistake don't think we should try to reverse it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

My heart bleeds
    You do understand that a book is purchased -before- being read rather than afterwards, right? Are you honestly telling me that the author of a book doesn't play a part in whether or not you buy it?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Sandpit said:

I imagine that the change to online polling is producing massive sample problems for the pollsters. The sample itself could be fair for a whole bunch of demographics, yet be severely compromised for the question being asked, because people who favour leaving the EU are less likely to register with a polling company
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

My heart bleeds
    Many years ago there was a famous publishing scandal over a series of short stories and novellas published by Virago. They were about the life of a young Muslim girl, showing her difficulty in adapting to Britain in the 1980s. The books she had written by a Ranila Khan received widespread critical acclaim and were much analysed on university courses.

Turned out they were written by an Anglican Vicar called Toby Forward. He also pranked the Church of England in much the same way under the name of Francis Wagstaffe.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2018
    Members will soon decide whether to adopt a series of radical reforms, including allowing non-MPs to stand in leadership contests and non-party members vote in them.

So maomentum could end up choosing the Lib Dem leader as well....
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,339
    ydoethur said:

MJW said:

Tuition fees is a total landmine for a
    It has the potential to be a 10p tax rate, the Lib Dem tuition fee fiasco and anger at austerity all rolled into one - all targeted at the group of voters who are currently driving

This is a great post and deserved reposting on the new thread. One of the first signs that Corbyn was talking about free owls was his verbal pledge he would get rid of all student debt as well, but he wasn't quite sure how.
    Thanks. I don't think it was one of the first signs. That was the back of a fag packet corporation tax numbers. It's the sign that the Corbyn team really haven't gamed out the negatives and losers from their proposals 'scorecard' style and worked out that they're not always who you want them to be - and that massive giveaways have the potential to really annoy people who are initially in favour of them when they find out that you don't actually mean them, but someone in essentially a similar financial and social situation but who qualifies in some arbitrary way.

A slightly more recent example of this tendency is the tech monopoly tax to fund journalism he proposed earlier this week. It sounds a really good idea. Tech companies are frighteningly large, unaccountable, and make vast profits from doing stuff that often seems fairly socially useless.

But then you ask, how do you decide who to target? Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook are the obvious ones. But how are you deciding this? They're totally different types of companies. Amazon was primarily a retailer, so would you tax all companies of a certain size who buy and sell online - Argos won't be happy. Apple makes hardware - do you tax Samsung, or Cisco Systems? Amazon also reinvests almost all its additional revenue so rarely makes a 'profit'. They are also global companies with huge numbers of tax lawyers and a business model that lends itself to gaming the system. If it's companies of a certain size then well done, you've just reinvented corporation tax and will end up taxing things like the car companies you've pledged to preserve jobs with.

If you tax per UK users, then you effectively reinforce their monopolies and stifle the potential of say, the next Snapchat, Whatsapp or Tinder to challenge them - as only those megacompanies would be able to afford it. You'd make it more likely they get bought out.

It's not a stupid idea in its aims, but the level of thinking that's gone into it is sub-A Level.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Based on 2016 I do

I have severe doubts.

A campaign based on that message would crash and burn within a week.
    What makes you so sure?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Sandpit said:

Maybe I'm terribly naive, but this site is called political betting. The whole appeal for me is the idea that when people have skin in the game, they're more motivated to try to make accurate predictions. But almost all I see here is spin, which is antithetical to making good predictions. Does anybody- and I mean anybody- care about actually estimating the chance of, say, a second referendum so they can make some money betting, more than they care about cheerleading their preferred outcome?
    A second referendum is unlikely, in my view.

There are two reasons. Firstly, it's a matter of timing. Barring an extension of article 50 (which is not solely within the UK's remit), there's not enough time left for us to complete the procedural steps necessary for a second referendum.

Secondly, we'd need the agreement of our EU counterparties that we could return to the status quo ante. If they were agreeable (and I mean on an official basis, rather than warm noises from people like Tusk), then that would dramatically increase the likelihood. However, if you look at the Commission's position, they're using Brexit as an opportunity to look at removing all rebates for both simplification and fairness purposes.

Unless you assume that a second referendum would be decisive (e.g. 70:30 either way), the UK would be a dubious asset for the EU27. From a EZ point of view, Brexit means that non-EZ countries can no longer even theoretically summon a blocking minority under QMV, and it removes the anomaly of a non-EZ net contributor. We tend to have an incredibly insular view of Brexit; it's been our Achilles heel all along. If I were Macron, I'd be cheering to the rooftops at the prospect of removing perfidious Albion.

Hopefully not too partisan for your taste.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

My heart bleeds
    You do understand that a book is purchased -before- being read rather than afterwards, right? Are you honestly telling me that the author of a book doesn't play a part in whether or not you buy it?
    Isn't that like saying what someone says should be judged on who they are, not what they say?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IMO there’s no chance of a second referendum being proposed by this Parliament. If Mrs May tries it she’ll be deposed immediately.
  • Options

Members will soon decide whether to adopt a series of radical reforms, including allowing non-MPs to stand in leadership contests and non-party members vote in them.

So maomentum could end up choosing the Lib Dem leader as well....
    Interesting to ask which party is more at risk from a lib dem revival, were it to happen. On the one hand the idea that there are huge numbers of centrist Labour members looking for a new home sounds plausible (though I don't think we've actually seen any evidence for this). On the other hand, IIRC most Lib Dem targets are Tory-facing, Tory Remainers may also be looking for a new home, and there'd be less chance of a Labour split if the Lib Dems were putting up fiercer competition for centrist votes
This discussion has been closed.