Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Will Donald Trump be Re-Elected in 2020?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Video Analysis: Will Donald Trump be Re-Elected in 2020?

So, after many economics and finance related posts, I thought why not do a politics one?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    What an outstanding piece. Three thumbs up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    rcs1000 said:

Fix!

Second like Remain & Corbyn......

I shall now watch the video......
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

Three thumbs - Normal for Norfolk
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Great video - and I think the use of graphics is well integrated & informative. Also agree that President Trump's health may be the 'wild card' - and he's certainly lucky in his opponents.

Don't know what it is with the YouTube algorithm, but the 'suggested videos you may like' includes a "Fail Compilation"....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Thanks, Rob. Another great one!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I see the practical application of some of the techniques in Superforecasters at play ... Great job.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    So it really was a another financial video after all: sell! Or at least, sell in 2020.

American life expectancy isn't going up any more; indeed I thought the latest figures show a decline, The unhealthy lifestyle of current middle aged Americans, compared with that of their parents, is finally taking its toll (similar trends also here).

The trouble with the US system is that the various bits of it can all blame each other and accountability seems hard to pin down.

The big question is whether the working class swing voters who fell for Trump's pitch to them will feel bretrayed, as he points benefits towards his rich friends, or buoyed by the growing economy. Unless Trump is able to redirect some of the fruits of growth the polls suggest the former.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Like!!!! What was missing though, unless I missed it was that although Trump lost the popular vote in 2016, he won the Electoral College, because he won quite of lot of states by narrow margins. It wouldn’t take much for those margins to be reversed in, for example, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

I'll watch when a bit less sleepy. Also, does the last bit imply you think you have a brain the size of a planet? :p
  • Options
    This is a remarkable and not entirely off topic story. Particularly that casting a provisional ballot is regarded so seriously, when the chance of voting fraud is nil, since it will be properly checked before being counted.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/27/crime-of-voting-texas-woman-crystal-mason-five-years-prison
  • Options
    About halfway through. Speaking of high inflation, there are notes with more noughts than 100bn:
    https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/status/1029393287998779392
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630

Good morning, everyone.

I'll watch when a bit less sleepy. Also, does the last bit imply you think you have a brain the size of a planet? :p

On the subject of sleep:

https://twitter.com/RANDCorporation/status/1022914166355648513?s=19
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, at least seven hours is not a great way of putting it, I'd suggest.

Studied sleep a bit at university, including copying Napoleon's sleep schedule (from 12-2am, then around 4-6pm. I strongly recommend never trying it). People need varying amounts of sleep. Too much is almost as bad as not enough. Einstein slept loads, Thatcher and Napoleon (separately) just four hours a night.

Broad brush 'you need lots of sleep' headlines aren't too helpful. Some parts of the brain only become active at night so if you sleep too much you overtax them, and the sleep cycle has a great degree of natural variance.

It doesn't help when general media gets the most basic things wrong. I recall being annoyed when the BBC had an article about not using e-readers before bed because the blue light interrupted melatonin[sp] production. Great. Except e-readers don't do that. Many aren't lit at all. They meant tablets which can be used for reading e-books, which are entirely different devices because they use standard screen technology rather than e-ink deliberately created to be easier on the eyes (and it is, a lot).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

Einstein slept loads, Thatcher and Napoleon (separately).

I'm glad you added that word in brackets...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    The odds are Trump will be re elected in 2020 unless the economy nosedives, after all only 1 President in the last 50 years has failed to be re elected after only one term of his party in the White House, Jimmy Carter in 1980.

However the man who beat Carter, Ronald Reagan, had narrowly lost the 1976 GOP primaries to establishment candidate Gerald Ford who then went onto lose the general election to Carter. Bernie Sanders, who narrowly lost the 2016 Democratic primaries to establishment candidate Hillary Clinton, will hope he is the Reagan of 2020
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The odds are Trump will be re elected in 2020 unless the economy nosedives, after all only 1 President in the last 50 years has failed to be re elected after only one term of his party in the White House, Jimmy Carter in 1980.

However the man who beat Carter, Ronald Reagan, had narrowly lost the 1976 GOP primaries to establishment candidate Gerald Ford who then went onto lose the general election to Carter. Bernie Sanders, who narrowly lost the 2016 Democratic primaries to establishment candidate Hillary Clinton, will hope he is the Reagan of 2020

Sanders will be 79 in 2020. Even if he's still alive, he won't be standing. No way on earth.

In light of your comment about Carter, are you advising Trump to avoid rabbits? Perhaps especially Bunnies?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I wonder why Einstein wasn't woken by Thatcher getting up?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    O/T: Hard to read the German polls at the moment: the latest ones range from little change from the last election to a real Afd/Green/Left surge at the expense of the CDU and SPD:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

Best guess: Greens are doing very well, AfD up a bit. We'll know a bit more in October, when the most conservative state, Bavaria, votes: here the CSU is worried by the AfD, while both FDP (Liberals) and Left are hovering near the 5% level needed to get seats. This was the background to the CSU-Merkel row a few months back, in which the CSU ultimately backed down.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

I wonder why Einstein wasn't woken by Thatcher getting up?
    *Splutters*
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sanders will be 79 in 2020. Even if he's still alive, he won't be standing. No way on earth.

In light of your comment about Carter, are you advising Trump to avoid rabbits? Perhaps especially Bunnies?
    Oh Sanders certainly will be running (Reagan of course was over 70 for most of his presidency) and will be one of the frontrunners for the Democratic nomination alongside Warren and Biden.

https://www.salon.com/2018/05/31/democrats-gear-up-for-2020-and-bernie-sanders-still-leads-the-pack/

I expect Trump's bunny problem will be more of the Playboy than animal kind
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Oh Sanders certainly will be running (Reagan of course was over 70 for most of his presidency) and will be one of the frontrunners for the Democratic nomination alongside Warren and Biden.

You are confident a 76 year old man will still be alive, fit and active over two years from now? I wouldn't be, and I doubt if the Dems would be.

Age is a big worry looking at a lot of these front runners. Biden and Bloomberg are also being mentioned, and they're the same age as Sanders (well, a year younger in Biden's case). Warren is slightly younger but I don't think will appeal as the consummate Washington insider.

I think Cuomo is the one to watch if I'm honest if only for that reason, but it could well be somebody totally unexpected.

My rabbits/bunnies joke was a clearly not terribly successful attempt at bringing the most famous gaffe of Carter's presidency with some of Jeremy Thorpe's ummm, outside activities.

PS - there is a massive difference between being over 70 and being over 80.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'd be reluctant to bet on Donald Trump winning a second term simply because he's so volatile, the chances of him doing something totally unexpected, including resigning on a whim, are substantial enough to require a hefty discount over and above the normal actuarial concerns and the much-bruited possibility of impeachment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

You are confident a 76 year old man will still be alive, fit and active over two years from now? I wouldn't be, and I doubt if the Dems would be.

Age is a big worry looking at a lot of these front runners. Biden and Bloomberg are also being mentioned, and they're the same age as Sanders (well, a year younger in Biden's case). Warren is slightly younger but I don't think will appeal as the consummate Washington insider.

I think Cuomo is the one to watch if I'm honest if only for that reason, but it could well be somebody totally unexpected.

My rabbits/bunnies joke was a clearly not terribly successful attempt at bringing the most famous gaffe of Carter's presidency with some of Jeremy Thorpe's ummm, outside activities.

The Queen is over 90
  • Options

I'd be reluctant to bet on Donald Trump winning a second term simply because he's so volatile, the chances of him doing something totally unexpected, including resigning on a whim, are substantial enough to require a hefty discount over and above the normal actuarial concerns and the much-bruited possibility of impeachment.

Him resigning on a whim would be a moment of pure schadenfreude...

...right up to the moment the 46th President takes the oath of office and becomes President Pence.

Can we get him removed and replaced with someone sane first please?
  • Options
    I might watch a sitcom based on Thatcher, Napoleon, and Einstein being flatmates.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Queen is over 90
    The queen does not run the government, unless there was a royalist coup overnight that I've somehow missed, and for the last ten years she has been moving more and more duties on to Charles and now William.
  • Options

I might watch a sitcom based on Thatcher, Napoleon, and Einstein being flatmates.

Could be explosive. One believed in artillery, one helped invent nuclear weapons and one kept them in case she wanted to use them...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    It's a bit boring but I agree with almost every word of that video. Health apart I expect Donald Trump to be re-elected and have a small wager on it. I also expect his second term to be not much short of a disaster as various inquiries come to a head and the economy heads south in a fairly major way.

The record for US investigations into Presidents suggests that they nearly always take more than 4 years to come to a head. Think Clinton, Nixon, Reagan etc. All 3 of these were re-elected pretty handily so it doesn't stop them. I don't expect it to stop Trump either although he did get an exceptionally sharp start on some of the investigations which were up and running before he even took office.
  • Options
    Y Doethur, I can imagine Thatcher and Napoleon bickering endless over a rota of chores, whilst Einstein's asleep half the time and forgets to do the washing up when he's awake.
  • Options

Y Doethur, I can imagine Thatcher and Napoleon bickering endless over a rota of chores, whilst Einstein's asleep half the time and forgets to do the washing up when he's awake.

Einstein's unlikely sex life might also be an interesting plot point.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

I think a resignation on a whim is the most likely reason for his exit - maybe along the lines of ''America doesn't appreciate or deserve me so I'm off!'
  • Options
    Personal statement. As an 80 year old who is reasonably fit and well I’m definitely ‘creakier’ than I was when I was 70. Then, too, I was quite happy to involved in managing the clubs and societies to which I belonged, whilst nowadays I’m much less keen on doing so.

I would be unlikely to vote for someone my age for national office, although I could, I suppose, be persauded.

What has happened to those of my or round about my age who used to post; Hurstlama for example.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    ydoethur said:

Could be explosive. One believed in artillery, one helped invent nuclear weapons and one kept them in case she wanted to use them...
    Einstein famously invented a refrigerator with Leo Szilard, who probably best deserves the title of 'father' of both the atomic bomb and the nuclear reactor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

Leo Szilard would be a great name for a Bond villain.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

I think a resignation on a whim is the most likely reason for his exit - maybe along the lines of ''America doesn't appreciate or deserve me so I'm off!'
    I really don't see that. As President he has a lot of insulation, some control and Congress to protect him with a Jury that needs an exceptional majority. As an ex President he is just another crim with no special rights whatsoever. He will do his best to stay President to protect himself.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Einstein famously invented a refrigerator with Leo Szilard, who probably best deserves the title of 'father' of both the atomic bomb and the nuclear reactor.

His girlfriend who defects to Bond could be Uno Szilsoft...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Personal statement. As an 80 year old who is reasonably fit and well I’m definitely ‘creakier’ than I was when I was 70. Then, too, I was quite happy to involved in managing the clubs and societies to which I belonged, whilst nowadays I’m much less keen on doing so.

I would be unlikely to vote for someone my age for national office, although I could, I suppose, be persauded.

What has happened to those of my or round about my age who used to post; Hurstlama for example.

HL is still active on Twitter. I'm pretty sure he wasn't banned, but just drifted away.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited August 2018

O/T: Hard to read the German polls at the moment: the latest ones range from little change from the last election to a real Afd/Green/Left surge at the expense of the CDU and SPD:

Best guess: Greens are doing very well, AfD up a bit. We'll know a bit more in October, when the most conservative state, Bavaria, votes: here the CSU is worried by the AfD, while both FDP (Liberals) and Left are hovering near the 5% level needed to get seats. This was the background to the CSU-Merkel row a few months back, in which the CSU ultimately backed down.

CSU are struggling in Bavaria at around 38% instead of their traditional 50+}%. SPD is dying on its feet as the Greens take more of their votes. There is a huge difference between East and West with the East being AfD territory and Die Linke also picking up support. In the East AfD and DL will probably get over a third of the vote which will make coalition building interesting to say the least.
  • Options

HL is still active on Twitter. I'm pretty sure he wasn't banned, but just drifted away.
    That’s good to read. Thanks. Not a Twitter myself!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

houndtang said:

I really don't see that. As President he has a lot of insulation, some control and Congress to protect him with a Jury that needs an exceptional majority. As an ex President he is just another crim with no special rights whatsoever. He will do his best to stay President to protect himself.
    As always, Donald Trump is more Silvio Berlusconi rather than Benito Mussolini.
  • Options

CSU are struggling in Bavaria at around 38% instead of their traditional 50+}%. SPD is dying on its feet as the Greens take more of their votes. There is a huge difference between East and West with the East being AfD territory and Die Linke also picking up support. In the East AfD and DL will probably get over a third of the vote which will make coalition building interesting to say the least.
    Why is German polling relevant at the moment? Is there a real risk that the current impasse will result in another election? Surely Merkel will not be a candidate if that is the case.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

All the signs are the Democrats will pick a left liberal populist in 2020 after Hillary lost not another establishment centrist.

A centrist like former Republican Bloomberg has near zero chance as does Cuomo who has trouble enough beating Cynthia Nixon in the New York Democratic Governor primary
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Queen is over 90
    The queen does not run the government, unless there was a royalist coup overnight that I've somehow missed, and for the last ten years she has been moving more and more duties on to Charles and now William.
    Even if Sanders served two terms he would be younger than the Queen is now when he left office, though most likely he will pick a younger VP candidate and may even say he will only serve one term if elected
  • Options

At 75 and my wife at 79 I agree entirely with your post

I have no interest anymore in being involved with managing clubs or organisations having been heavily involved most of my life and prefer to focus attention on my wife and family, especially our grandchildren

While the Queen is exceptional I would not be attracted to vote for any politician older than myself. There is a time when the batton should be handed on to a younger person
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Queen is over 90
    Even if Sanders served two terms he would be younger than the Queen is now when he left office, though most likely he will pick a younger VP candidate and may even say he will only serve one term if elected
    Okaayyy...

Sanders as Boris, at any rate in your obsessive refusal to face reality over him.
  • Options

I have no interest anymore in being involved with managing clubs or organisations having been heavily involved most of my life and prefer to focus attention on my wife and family, especially our grandchildren

While the Queen is exceptional I would not be attracted to vote for any politician older than myself. There is a time when the batton should be handed on to a younger person
    Thank you Mr G. While we are at different points on the political spectrum we do seem to agree on quite a few things!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2018
    Assuming the health issues mentioned in Robert’s video don’t intervene, Trumps re-election depends almost entirely on whether he can hang onto the 3 mid-Western states he won narrowly in 2016: WI, MI and PA. I don’t see any other state flipping in 2020 except perhaps FL (and FL alone moving to the Dems would not be enough to defeat Trump)
  • Options

Thank you Mr G. While we are at different points on the political spectrum we do seem to agree on quite a few things!
    It probably makes a difference that Trump has presumably had the best care money can buy throughout his life. If you have the money, healthcare in the US is great - the problem is, most people don’t
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The Queen is over 90
    You really do not understand ageing
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    HYUFD said:

George Bush Sr was also a one-termer I believe?
  • Options

Yes we do and that is good
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    rcs1000 said:

One might almost say 'all thumbs'....
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

CSU are struggling in Bavaria at around 38% instead of their t coalition building interesting to say the least.
    Why is German polling relevant at the moment? Is there a real risk that the current impasse will result in another election? Surely Merkel will not be a candidate if that is the case.
    Merkel is a lame duck Chancellor atm. There is a small but real risk the current coalition might fall due to CSU internal wrangling or SPD deciding there's nothing worth staying in for. Personally I cant see any way Merkel will lead her party in to the next election as she is a large part of the problem atm. Currently she has no obvious successor in the CDU so they are going to have to chose a new leader at some point soon, Equally the longer Merkel stays in office the more mobile German politics is becoming, traditional CDU and SPD voters are peeling off in large numbers to try other flavours and as in the UK once a party has lost the sheep like loyalty of a voter it never regains it and you have to work harder to win them back.

The other issue rolling is that there will be 16 Land elections between governments and this is
    now the laboratory of German national elections. Prviously the "decent" parties would have no truck with AfD or Die Linke but now it is getting increasingly difficult to form governments without at least one of them. Berlin already has Die Linke in a coalition. This matters as it picks away at the reasons for keeping the extremists out of government. It also matters as once the taboo is broken you are more likely to see a return to Left Right politcs in Germany instead of the current blancmange where people who are natural opponents have to work out a limited agenda they can cooperate on in order to keep the challenger parties out. This mishmash politics to date has been helping feed the extremes where the voters end up seeing little difference between the parties and vote more exotically to make a point. It's the kind of tired centrism which produce UKIP and eventually Corbyn.
  • Options

It probably makes a difference that Trump has presumably had the best care money can buy throughout his life. If you have the money, healthcare in the US is great - the problem is, most people don’t
    Not sure any amount of money stops the natural ageing process
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    HYUFD said:

All the signs are the Democrats will pick a left liberal populist in 2020 after Hillary lost not another establishment centrist.

A centrist like former Republican Bloomberg has near zero chance as does Cuomo who has trouble enough beating Cynthia Nixon in the New York Democratic Governor primary

Not *all* the signs - there were a couple of high-profile progressive wins in the primaries for the mid-terms but in a lot of places that dog failed to bark. See:
    https://www.npr.org/2018/07/05/625822590/for-democrats-pragmatists-are-still-trumping-progressives-where-it-counts

I think social media has tilted the field in favour of spikey, outspoken candidates, and in US presidential elections the more audacious guy always wins, but I don't think it's clear that primary voters will be going way left, except on issues where the overton window has already shifted like Medicare-for-all.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

ydoethur said:

His anagram gives the game away as to his real power: Ole Lizards....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.salon.com/2018/05/31/democrats-gear-up-for-2020-and-bernie-sanders-still-leads-the-pack/

That's a fairly old article.

I think of the oldsters, Warren will bear Sanders, and Biden would likely beat both if he commits to running. But it's equally likely a fresh face will emerge as frontrunner.
  • Options

The interesting suggestion from those who have been close to him is that it's his mind going, not his body.

Although, how you'd know....
  • Options
    edited August 2018

HYUFD said:

Not *all* the signs - there were a couple of high-profile progressive wins in the primaries for the mid-terms but in a lot of places that dog failed to bark. See:
    https://www.npr.org/2018/07/05/625822590/for-democrats-pragmatists-are-still-trumping-progressives-where-it-counts

I think social media has tilted the field in favour of spikey, outspoken candidates, and in US presidential elections the more audacious guy always wins, but I don't think it's clear that primary voters will be going way left, except on issues where the overton window has already shifted like Medicare-for-all.
    Agreed.
    If someone of the left gets the nomination, it will very likely be because they can appeal across the party - and to some extent outside of it. Candidates like Sanders don't fall into that category.
    A similar consideration applies to more centrist Democrats, though. Those that can't gain the approval of the more 'progressive' Democrats won't get the nomination either.
  • Options

Especially if you won't listen to what your high-paid doctor says.
  • Options
    Can I say, @rcs1000, that I thought the presentation of this video was by far the best you've done? In particular, the use of backgrounds seems to be becoming much more sophisticated.
  • Options

The interesting suggestion from those who have been close to him is that it's his mind going, not his body.

Although, how you'd know....
    That could be interpreted as a positive. If his mind is going, it's at least evidence he has one. Indeed it might be the only evidence!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    Hasn't mike got a nice tempting 50/1 shot for us fpr 2020?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    They have never voted out an incumbent president although I suppose there is always a first time.
  • Options

They have never voted out an incumbent president although I suppose there is always a first time.
    Higgins disadvantage is his age, he's 77
  • Options

The only current 50-1 shot with a realistic chance is Michelle Obama.

But I very much doubt if she will be running.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Higgins disadvantage is his age, he's 77
    This one was a squeaker when de Valera was 83 years young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_presidential_election,_1966
  • Options

It helps a lot. Do you think the Queen is still being in good health at 92 is purely by chance?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited August 2018
    Very interesting video: good to have a non-partisan view of all the pros and cons.

One minor criticism, which I realise may be just a matter of taste: I got quite distracted at first by the hand movements. I do it myself sometimes when teaching, but the feedback provided by a class of Y10 pupils imitating me is an excellent curative.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Not had chance to watch the piece - later, hopefully but Trump's re-election chances rest mainly on who the Democrats nominate and how effectively Trump can campaign negatively against him/her.

The wild-card is a big economic downturn, for which the US is very badly positioned. If that happens, Trump could be looking at the worst incumbent performance since Carter (I was going to say 'since Taft' but I'd forgotten briefly that Carter won only 49 ECVs in 1980 - albeit off 41% of the vote, which would translate into a lot more today).

But Trump won in 2016 because Hillary was bloody awful and Bernie would have been worse. Quite how the Democrats ended up with only two meaningful candidates, both of whom were so badly flawed is a question that they should never stop asking. Putting up someone in 2020 who (1) doesn't scare the horses so that Trump ends up being least risky, (2) isn't suspect on other grounds with independents, and (3) has more charisma than a microwave, should be enough.

Trump's core vote will vote for him regardless but Trump's true core - those who voted for him in the 2016 primaries - is small. Even adding in the firm Republicans won't take him much above 35%. Beyond that, he has to reduce his opponent and embellish himself. His ability on both scores shouldn't be underestimated but the more teflon his opponent, the harder it becomes to do it effectively - and if it looks increasingly ineffective, he'll become increasingly desperate, which may produce a feedback effect.

As things stand, I'd give him about one chance in three.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

HYUFD said:

George Bush Sr was also a one-termer I believe?
    “After one term of his party in the White House” - the GOP had already had a 2 term president (Reagan) before Bush I
  • Options

It helps a lot. Do you think the Queen is still being in good health at 92 is purely by chance?
    She is far and away the exception to the rule
  • Options

Not had chance to watch the piece - later, hopefully but Trump's re-election chances rest mainly on who the Democrats nominate and how effectively Trump can campaign negatively against him/her.

The wild-card is a big economic downturn, for which the US is very badly positioned. If that happens, Trump could be looking at the worst incumbent performance since Carter (I was going to say 'since Taft' but I'd forgotten briefly that Carter won only 49 ECVs in 1980 - albeit off 41% of the vote, which would translate into a lot more today).

But Trump won in 2016 because Hillary was bloody awful and Bernie would have been worse. Quite how the Democrats ended up with only two meaningful candidates, both of whom were so badly flawed is a question that they should never stop asking. Putting up someone in 2020 who (1) doesn't scare the horses so that Trump ends up being least risky, (2) isn't suspect on other grounds with independents, and (3) has more charisma than a microwave, should be enough.

Trump's core vote will vote for him regardless but Trump's true core - those who voted for him in the 2016 primaries - is small. Even adding in the firm Republicans won't take him much above 35%. Beyond that, he has to reduce his opponent and embellish himself. His ability on both scores shouldn't be underestimated but the more teflon his opponent, the harder it becomes to do it effectively - and if it looks increasingly ineffective, he'll become increasingly desperate, which may produce a feedback effect.

As things stand, I'd give him about one chance in three.

Most of these points are addressed in the video I think.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    For goodness sake give the woman a break
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The only current 50-1 shot with a realistic chance is Michelle Obama.

But I very much doubt if she will be running.
    Martin O'Malley!

Competent, experienced, good speaker, not too old, not too crazy. Not saying that's the perfect place to run from this time but somebody has to do it.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    edited August 2018
    If you want to understand where the Democrats are at and their approach to 2020 you should listen to:

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/thewilderness/

It’s a long listen, but it’ll help you decide whether to back Beto O’Rourke for the nomination in 2020 or 2024
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I am willing to criticise her for her numerous failings, but bad dancing.... that would be hypocrisy of the highest order.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    I am willing to criticise her for her numerous failings, but bad dancing.... that would be hypocrisy of the highest order.
    It is a pity some do not act as grown up as she does.

Very good speech in Cape Town by her live just now. Will go down very well in Africa
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,108

Scott_P said:
    Now you've put Tessy break dancing in my head.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Scott_P said:
    Aarrgh. The cringe is off the chart. Jesus. She's like a puppet with the stings cut. Why do that if you know you're going to be absolutely crap at it?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Now you've put Tessy break dancing in my head.
    Thats funny
  • Options

What about Prince Philip?

My impression is that to a certain extent it applies to our society as a whole: people in their 60s or even 70s now seem a spry as those in their 50s were in my youth.

This is all anecdotal evidence of course, and only of slowing the ageing process, not stopping it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Or a break-dancing lesson maybe?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:
    Aarrgh. The cringe is off the chart. Jesus. She's like a puppet with the stings cut. Why do that if you know you're going to be absolutely crap at it?
    So what - are you so perfect
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    edited August 2018
    Morning all,

Mark Lilla argues in his new book that the Dems can't win until they work their way past identity politic obsessions and start to articulate a vision for the whole of the US, based on what it means (rights and duties etc) to be a citizen.

He also strongly argues that Dems have lost touch with the fly over states and their activist base of campus and metro area residents must try and engage and empathise with, say, a backwoods dweller in Virginia. The obsession with identity groups and movements has left blue collar and union activists lost and out of touch within the party, and crucially, there has been a failure to try and win at local level.

What do the Dems envision the US should look like in ten years time?

His summary:

"Less marches and more mayors."
  • Options

My impression is that to a certain extent it applies to our society as a whole: people in their 60s or even 70s now seem a spry as those in their 50s were in my youth.

This is all anecdotal evidence of course, and only of slowing the ageing process, not stopping it.
    I agree with that but I am talking mid seventies and to your eighties.

There is a marked downturn in mobility and stamina in most everyone I know in this age grouo
  • Options
    Now I want to see Theresa attempt The Floss.

My attempts at The Floss are as awesome as my puns.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Mass Effect fans will know that Commander Shepard was famously bad at dancing, and she saved the galaxy (or not, depending on which ending you got of course).
  • Options

Morning all,

Mark Lilla argues in his new book that the Dems can't win until they work their way past identity politic obsessions and start to articulate a vision for the whole of the US, based on what it means (rights and duties etc) to be a citizen.

He also strongly argues that Dems have lost touch with the fly over states and their activist base of campus and metro area residents must try and engage and empathise with, say, a backwoods dweller in Virginia. The obsession with identity groups and movements has left blue collar and union activists lost and out of touch within the party, and crucially, there has been a failure to try and win at local level.

His summary:

I disagree profoundly with that.

It should be fewer marches.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:
    Maybe she's demob happy? In that I Really Don't Give A Shit mode?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_P said:
    https://twitter.com/arachnochist/status/1034352701247836160
  • Options

I agree with that but I am talking mid seventies and to your eighties.

There is a marked downturn in mobility and stamina in most everyone I know in this age grouo
    That is certainly true.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221

Morning all,

His summary:

I disagree profoundly with that.

It should be fewer marches.
    :lol: My mistake.
  • Options

Personal statement. .

Three of my grandparents were dead before they reached the age I am now and the fourth wasn’teither well or active. My father, too, wasn’t well, and indeed died at 81. My mother, though, went on well into her 90’s.
    Certainly none of them would or indeed could have done what I propose to do later this morning..... have 45 minutes sigificant activity in the local gym..... bike, running track, weights and so on.

Whether my mind is in good shape others can judge!
  • Options
    Just following up on the O'Malley thing, this is kind-of long but he's like the perfect anti-Trump:
    https://www.wmur.com/article/2016-presidential-candidate-martin-omalley-returns-to-nh/19669270

Also, he's run before and he's doing events in NH, which gets you past the "actually doing something about in running" hurdle that'll knock out a bunch of contenders.
This discussion has been closed.