Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Brexit Irish issue: Ex-British Army officer who served the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Brexit Irish issue: Ex-British Army officer who served there takes issue with Moggsy

There are several interesting elements of The Moggster’s latest contribution to the Brexit debate. First, he has shown that he understands that the land border in Northern Ireland is a critical issue in the Brexit negotiations. Secondly, he has shown, by harking back to the Troubles with such breezy insouciance, that he fundamentally misunderstands the history of the island of Ireland. And thirdly, in telling us that no checks on the border would leave the UK “in as bad a situation as we are already in”, he has shown that he believes that the existing system of travel between the UK and Ireland is awful, which is an extraordinary comment for a British politician to make.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Slainte!
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    A great leader by @Topping – one of the best writers on PB. I am amazed so many people take the hideous Mogg seriously – the guy is a clown.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    I get a bit weary of the tangerine jizzmonkey cockwomble type of twitter insults, but a description of JRM as a haunted pencil tickled me.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Good header.

However, I think it skirts around the main issue which is Mogg's obsession: the UK-EU relationship in the forms of the Single Market and Customs union.

The reason why he's not bothered about a hard border is because he wants out of both the SM and CU, and thinks (1) that the EU won't compromise on its principle of a consistent border, (2) that an intra-UK border is either unacceptable or undeliverable, and (3) that in the absence of any such compromise, leaving the CU/SM is more important than maintaining an open border.

I can't honestly say that his logic on any of these points is likely to be wrong. Where I part company from him is in his enthusiasm for a hard border as an end-point. It would be a deeply regrettable conclusion to what's been a depressing process almost from the start, not something to be celebrated.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    The amazing thing is that the British are still trying to work this stuff out 2 years after the referendum that made it vitally important, and 6 months before they crash of all their most important international agreements.

Once this crisis is over you need to take a hard look at how people like this can get elected.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Anazina said:

A great leader by @Topping – one of the best writers on PB. I am amazed so many people take the hideous Mogg seriously – the guy is a clown.

*blushes*

Thank you and yes; he is a clown.
  • Options

Good header.

However, I think it skirts around the main issue which is Mogg's obsession: the UK-EU relationship in the forms of the Single Market and Customs union.

The reason why he's not bothered about a hard border is because he wants out of both the SM and CU, and thinks (1) that the EU won't compromise on its principle of a consistent border, (2) that an intra-UK border is either unacceptable or undeliverable, and (3) that in the absence of any such compromise, leaving the CU/SM is more important than maintaining an open border.

I can't honestly say that his logic on any of these points is likely to be wrong. Where I part company from him is in his enthusiasm for a hard border as an end-point. It would be a deeply regrettable conclusion to what's been a depressing process almost from the start, not something to be celebrated.

What I found interesting is that it seems that his objection to the CTA predates the EU and the Treaty of Rome!!

I am not at all sure how he sees the UK in terms of associations with anyone else, EU or not.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Thanks, Topping!

For Eurostar, I thought everyone was checked? At least it looked that way when I last travelled.
  • Options
    So border controls are supply side control mechanisms to restrict undesirable items and people entering the country. Taking a leaf from Mr R Smithson's recent video on this, why don't we go in for demand side solutions to restrict this?

Immigration - have the Swiss style shop-your-employer scheme.
    Drugs - serious financial penalties for users. Spot fines. Letters to employers. Mandatory education programs.
    Shoddy goods - turnover based fines for importers / retailers selling goods that fail tests by trading standards and penalties for managers / directors.

We could do that, maintain an open border under CTA and see what the EU want to do.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the show trials when Brexit becomes a disaster.

People like JRM will either be forced to recant their stupidity or be fired into the Irish sea, via trebuchet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thanks, Topping!

For Eurostar, I thought everyone was checked? At least it looked that way when I last travelled.

Yes on the French side. My point (inexpertly made) was that when they get to St. Pancras there are only random customs checks otherwise everyone walks straight through as though they were coming from a domestic train destination.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Anazina said:

Seconded.

The English have a tendency to assume that form matters almost as much as substance. So if you are polite, fluent and look the part (even eccentrically) and don’t rant, people don’t pay as much attention to whatever rubbish is coming out of your mouth.

I will probably be slated for this. But JRM is, in his own way, as much of a menace to British politics as Corbyn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    On topic, this documentary is worth watching, including footage of Arlene Foster as a teenager after her school bus was blown up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJDoiqBjBE
  • Options
    St Pancras is my favourite train station.

So beautiful.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    RobD said:

Thanks, Topping!

You go through U.K. passport control when boarding, but there’s no formal control when disembarking in the U.K. except when they are carrying out random passport/customs checks.
  • Options
    It is obvious isn't it.

To make Brexit work we need to sell out Northern Ireland.
  • Options

We could do that, maintain an open border under CTA and see what the EU want to do.

If that were the only item we had to negotiate, yes we could do that. It would hand Ireland leverage to force a border poll at a time of their choosing, but so be it.

Unfortunately that isn't the only item to negotiate. If we mess the EU around on Northern Ireland, their leverage against us is overwhelming and it won't matter a damn if our wheeze of just ignoring the Irish border implications is successful in the short term.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

It is obvious isn't it.

usual click bait
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2018
    Yes, a good article, but I think perhaps misleading in one important respect. Because Ireland is not part of Schengen, the passport checks for an EU citizen flying to Dublin are identical in scope to those applying to an EU citizen flying to London. So JRM's premise is wrong from the start, even if in practice passport checks in both cases are pretty minimal. As the article says, the operation of the CTA relies on the UK cooperating with Ireland on enforcing more-or-less consistent border controls. Our membership or not of the EU is irrelevant.

On the politics, as so often @david_herdson puts his finger on the key point. This is JRM working backwards from his conclusion to his argument.

Stepping back a little, and picking up on the discussions near the end of the previous thread, I'm not at all convinced that the outcome of all this is going to be JRM and his fellow ultras trooping through the same division lobby as Vince Cable, the SNP, and the Labour Party as a whole including Chuka Umanna and his fellow ultras in order to vote down any deal that the PM might come back with. For that to happen, those two diametrically-opposed groups would have to agree not only that they don't like The Deal, but also that defeating it would move the issue in their favoured direction, and therefore by definition in the opposite of the favoured direction of the other group. Is that really likely, and would they really make common cause?
  • Options

If that were the only item we had to negotiate, yes we could do that. It would hand Ireland leverage to force a border poll at a time of their choosing, but so be it.

Unfortunately that isn't the only item to negotiate. If we mess the EU around on Northern Ireland, their leverage against us is overwhelming and it won't matter a damn if our wheeze of just ignoring the Irish border implications is successful in the short term.
    more bollocks
  • Options

It is obvious isn't it.

usual click bait
    The truth is never click bait.
  • Options

Yes, a good article, but I think perhaps misleading in one important respect. Because Ireland is not part of Schengen, the passport checks for an EU citizen flying to Dublin are identical in scope to those applying to an EU citizen flying to London. So JRM's premise is wrong from the start, even if in practice passport checks in both cases are pretty minimal. As the article says, the operation of the CTA relies on the UK cooperating with Ireland on enforcing more-or-less consistent border controls. Our membership or not of the EU is irrelevant.

On the politics, as so often @david_herdson puts his finger on the key point. This is JRM working backwards from his conclusion to his argument.

Stepping back a little, and picking up on the discussions near the end of the previous thread, I'm not at all convinced that the outcome of all this is going to be JRM and his fellow ultras trooping through the same division lobby as Vince Cable, the SNP, and the Labour Party as a whole including Chuka Umanna and his fellow ultras in order to vote down any deal that the PM might come back with. For that to happen, those two diametrically-opposed groups would have to agree not only that they don't like The Deal, but also that defeating it would move the issue in their favoured direction, and therefore by definition in the opposite of the favoured direction of the other group. Is that really likely, and would they really make common cause?

Indeed. This nonsense that RoI let all and sundry into the country without passport checks is just that. The brexit mindrot would have us believe the RoI will let all and sundry in just because the UK lhas left. They wont.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anazina said:

Seconded.

The English have a tendency to assume that form matters almost as much as substance. So if you are polite, fluent and look the part (even eccentrically) and don’t rant, people don’t pay as much attention to whatever rubbish is coming out of your mouth.

I will probably be slated for this. But JRM is, in his own way, as much of a menace to British politics as Corbyn.
    Corbyn is more of a threat because he happens to be leading one of the two government-forming parties. However, that apart, yes: in terms of the collateral damage they would be willing to accept in furtherance of their ideology, they are two sides of the same coin.
  • Options

Yes, a good article, but I think perhaps misleading in one important respect. Because Ireland is not part of Schengen, the passport checks for an EU citizen flying to Dublin are identical in scope to those applying to an EU citizen flying to London.

No, his premise is that at the moment an EU citizen can fly into London, wave their EU passport and get waved through and that we want this to stop. Therefore it's a problem if they can fly to Dublin and get waved through, and then just drive across an open border into the UK.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    FPT
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Last year I started doing some gym training. As a result of some arm exercises I have for the last few months ended up with a really painful shoulder and upper arm which, despite physio, has not got better. I will be going for a scan shortly as I may have torn a tendon. It should, once the right diagnosis has been made, be curable.

But experiences like that don’t make it any easier to do what I know I should. Oddly, I can still do pretty vigorous gardening, which keeps me flexible and strong.

Speaking as a part-owner of a (Crossfit) gym, that suggests that somewhere in your medical or training team someone may not have sufficient expertise, or there was an unfortunate accident or oversight (which might speak of insufficient supervision).

Hope you recover well.
    Thank you. I am now in the care of UCL’s Institute of Sports Injuries and they seem to think this can be resolved, albeit may be painful and will involve some hard work on my part and, if unlucky, surgery. If I go back to training I think I will do better warm up exercises and possibly get supervision. I feel a bit scared of tackling those machines again, to be honest. Gyms always feel very male oriented - rather than the natural domain of a less than fully fit and plump middle aged woman.
    When you’re ready, get a good PT. They can make all the difference.
    I’m sure. Finding one is like finding a good financial advisor. Lots of talk but I have the teensiest suspicion of bullshit. I’d like someone (a woman?) who understands me rather than a man putting me on a male training programme. I just want to be a bit fitter and not shriek when I unexpectedly catch sight of myself in a mirror. The bikini went to the charity shop a while ago.

Honestly, the only time I was unbelievably, fashionably thin, hip bones like razors etc, I had TB but that is a bit drastic as a weight loss programme.
    Do lots of research. Trust word of mouth. Interview them.

As with lawyers, almost all of them have the necessary technical knowledge. What you should be looking for is whether they know their clients.
  • Options

It is obvious isn't it.

usual click bait
    actually it can be but you just dont know how to present it.
  • Options

Indeed. This nonsense that RoI let all and sundry into the country without passport checks is just that. The brexit mindrot would have us believe the RoI will let all and sundry in just because the UK lhas left. They wont.
    Ireland is not going to mirror any restrictions on EU free movement that we put in place.
  • Options

JRM doesn't care about all and sundry. He cares about the route being a backdoor into the UK for EU citizens.

The UK lets in plenty of non-EU citizens as it is without them having to get to Ireland first.
  • Options
    I believe Northern Ireland have gone past Belgium's record for the longest period without a government.

Says a lot they can function without a government for so long.

The natives won't even notice if they get screwed over Brexit.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Yes agree. But once in Ireland, an EU citizen has free rein to go anywhere they want including the UK without further checks.

This matters of course because unless I've missed it, we still don't seem to have implemented the registration process for EU citizens resident in the UK and unless and until you know who is already here, and when they arrived, any other EU citizens can present their EU passports and say "I've been here for 20 years".

As also mentioned, the interesting thing for me is that JRM it appears wouldn't have agreed the CTA in the first place, whatever its practical shortcomings or advantages.
  • Options

Ireland is not going to mirror any restrictions on EU free movement that we put in place.

Not like you to confuse the misleadingly named 'free movement' (i.e. rules on EU citizens working in the UK) with border controls. The two are completely unrelated, as any fule 'no.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Not like you to confuse the misleadingly named 'free movement' (i.e. rules on EU citizens working in the UK) with border controls. The two are completely unrelated, as any fule 'no.
    It's irrelevant to the point. JRM's premise is that we will implement border controls and physically prevent EU citizens from entering unless they have the right paperwork. This is something HYUFD was reiterating this week.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

...This matters of course because unless I've missed it, we still don't seem to have implemented the registration process for EU citizens resident in the UK and unless and until you know who is already here, and when they arrived, any other EU citizens can present their EU passports and say "I've been here for 20 years"....

Presumably it will be done by the EU citizen filling in an (on-line) form, and the bureaucrats cross-checking against National Insurance records. I don't think border crossing records will come into it at all, not least because they are so incomplete.
  • Options

Indeed my mother-in-law who is Canadian could book a ticket today to travel here and visit us on holiday. She wouldn't get stopped at the border and turned away. She couldn't however move here to live and work. She couldn't sign on for benefits.

Getting into the country is only a tiny part of the story.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

...This matters of course because unless I've missed it, we still don't seem to have implemented the registration process for EU citizens resident in the UK and unless and until you know who is already here, and when they arrived, any other EU citizens can present their EU passports and say "I've been here for 20 years"....

Presumably it will be done by the EU citizen filling in an (on-line) form, and the bureaucrats cross-checking against National Insurance records. I don't think border crossing records will come into it at all, not least because they are so incomplete.
    You can't prove a negative. National Insurance records might prove someone was here but they can't be used to prove they weren't.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited August 2018

Free movement, immigration and border controls are probably mixed up more than debt, deficit and borrowing.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well presumably it will but it hasn't been yet and in addition why anyone should have any qualms about a large scale government cross-departmental IT project goodness only knows.

As I have mentioned before, if I were TMay I would have my Windrush-type apologies already prepared for the countless number of ****-ups and misplaced deportations that will occur as a result of the process.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,274
    That JRM is a clown is not really in dispute.

What happens, however, if we choose the option of simply ignoring the land border? The CTA would still be applied so Irish citizens would have freedom of movement as they had before the EU was in existence. EU citizens would have freedom of movement to Eire and could then use the lack of a border to get here.

That could be a problem depending on whether we are going to grant registrations to the existing 4m or so EU citizens here now which we accept will have a right to remain. If they have a registration certificate then an EU citizen who does not have one would be deported and in the meantime would not be allowed to rent a house, work, claim benefits or medical treatment, open a bank account etc.

The problem with this is that getting the current EU residents registered is going to be a frighteningly large job that I am not aware of us even starting yet. This may be because we have still to achieve an agreement with the EU about rights for citizens of each already in situ, something the EU seems peculiarly unwilling to discuss presumably on the basis that they are still holding out for FOM. As is the case with a number of matters we will need to make our minds up unilaterally and act.

In short, we need to put in place the sort of internal defences that Robert discussed in his recent video rather than focussing on a border but we really need to make up our mind how this is going to work from our perspective and get on with the administration of it whether we have agreement with the EU or not.

I think that the problem with goods is much less of an issue, at least for us. All goods currently proceeding across the border move from one tax and VAT regime to another. This will not change. No doubt there will be some smuggling, as there is now, but I think we can live with that, as we do now. If we take the view that goods coming from the EU meet EU standards and are therefore acceptable we can be pretty relaxed about this. Whether the EU would be depends on whether they are willing to trust us to maintain our standards and not grow, manufacture or import goods that are illegal in the SM. Genetically edited crops may be an example of such an issue as might be some imports from the US if we do a trade deal with them. Of course selling these goods in the SM will be an offence. It depends on whether the EU are willing to use "deep" defences as well or insist on border checks. That is really up to them.

The real problem is that these solutions are not really compatible with what our government has already signed up for. That was a mistake.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Good header.

What I found interesting is that it seems that his objection to the CTA predates the EU and the Treaty of Rome!!

I am not at all sure how he sees the UK in terms of associations with anyone else, EU or not.
    I wonder whether he'd give two hoots about the CTA were Britain and Ireland not in the EU. After all, it'd just be the bilateral agreement it always was then, with a small neighbour. My guess is that his problem is not the CTA with the 5m people of Ireland (and the implied economic alignment that comes with the CTA), but the fact that Dublin's hands are tied by the 450m-person strong EU27, which places a rather different dynamic on the relationship.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

RobD said:

Thanks, Topping!

You go through U.K. passport control when boarding, but there’s no formal control when disembarking in the U.K. except when they are carrying out random passport/customs checks.
    OK, so everyone is still checked, it's just done when you embark?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. L, indeed. The EU's also sought to unilaterally alter what was agreed by suddenly insisting the customs union can only apply to Northern Ireland, seeking to commit a custom annexation of British territory and impose a customs border within the territory of a non-EU (as will be) state.

[I don't think the customs union is acceptable at all, but that's another kettle of monkeys].
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes agree. But once in Ireland, an EU citizen has free rein to go anywhere they want including the UK without further checks.

This matters of course because unless I've missed it, we still don't seem to have implemented the registration process for EU citizens resident in the UK and unless and until you know who is already here, and when they arrived, any other EU citizens can present their EU passports and say "I've been here for 20 years".

As also mentioned, the interesting thing for me is that JRM it appears wouldn't have agreed the CTA in the first place, whatever its practical shortcomings or advantages.
    The solution to that seems quite straight forward, you just start stamping EU passports on arrival.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Good header.

I wonder whether he'd give two hoots about the CTA were Britain and Ireland not in the EU. After all, it'd just be the bilateral agreement it always was then, with a small neighbour. My guess is that his problem is not the CTA with the 5m people of Ireland (and the implied economic alignment that comes with the CTA), but the fact that Dublin's hands are tied by the 450m-person strong EU27, which places a rather different dynamic on the relationship.
    "Dublin's hands are tied" is just a condescending way of saying "we can't bully Dublin".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That JRM is a clown is not really in dispute.

What happens, however, if we choose the option of simply ignoring the land border? The CTA would still be applied so Irish citizens would have freedom of movement as they had before the EU was in existence. EU citizens would have freedom of movement to Eire and could then use the lack of a border to get here.

That could be a problem depending on whether we are going to grant registrations to the existing 4m or so EU citizens here now which we accept will have a right to remain. If they have a registration certificate then an EU citizen who does not have one would be deported and in the meantime would not be allowed to rent a house, work, claim benefits or medical treatment, open a bank account etc.

The problem with this is that getting the current EU residents registered is going to be a frighteningly large job that I am not aware of us even starting yet. This may be because we have still to achieve an agreement with the EU about rights for citizens of each already in situ, something the EU seems peculiarly unwilling to discuss presumably on the basis that they are still holding out for FOM. As is the case with a number of matters we will need to make our minds up unilaterally and act.

In short, we need to put in place the sort of internal defences that Robert discussed in his recent video rather than focussing on a border but we really need to make up our mind how this is going to work from our perspective and get on with the administration of it whether we have agreement with the EU or not.

I think that the problem with goods is much less of an issue, at least for us. All goods currently proceeding across the border move from one tax and VAT regime to another. This will not change. No doubt there will be some smuggling, as there is now, but I think we can live with that, as we do now. If we take the view that goods coming from the EU meet EU standards and are therefore acceptable we can be pretty relaxed about this. Whether the EU would be depends on whether they are willing to trust us to maintain our standards and not grow, manufacture or import goods that are illegal in the SM. Genetically edited crops may be an example of such an issue as might be some imports from the US if we do a trade deal with them. Of course selling these goods in the SM will be an offence. It depends on whether the EU are willing to use "deep" defences as well or insist on border checks. That is really up to them.

The real problem is that these solutions are not really compatible with what our government has already signed up for. That was a mistake.

That is the nub - we can do all sorts of things, as you say registration being however a pre-requisite for most of them. We don't seem to have started this. Plus the scope for c**k-up has got to be monumental in as you say such a frighteningly large job.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

It is obvious isn't it.

usual click bait
    Since when are you and the truth on speaking terms?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You can't prove a negative. National Insurance records might prove someone was here but they can't be used to prove they weren't.
    Sure, but that would apply only to a tiny proportion, and the bureaucrats could simply ask for other evidence in that case. In practice, I think they'll just accept any vaguely plausible-looking application. This doesn't have to be 100% proof against false positives, although it would be nice if it were near-100% proof against false negatives.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

The solution to that seems quite straight forward, you just start stamping EU passports on arrival.
    How could that prove someone didn't enter by the backdoor without getting their passport stamped?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

I believe Northern Ireland have gone past Belgium's record for the longest period without a government.

The UK would probably have done better without a government for the past three years or so. During that time the impact of government has been entirely negative economically, socially and politically.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Polruan said:

RobD said:

Thanks, Topping!

I didn't know that. I must have been unlucky the first time I arrived back at St Pancras. I assumed that the problem was Brussels to Lille. Although you are checked before boarding at both, you can use the service between the two so in theory someone might stay on and come to London when they didn't have permission to.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    What is this whacko idea of EU folk trying to sneak into the blighted wasteland that will be post-Brexit Britain? Surely, the problem will be Eire's, as hordes of starving Brits pour across their border in pursuit of a decent pint of Guinness.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

y really make common cause?

JRM doesn't care about all and sundry. He cares about the route being a backdoor into the UK for EU citizens.

The UK lets in plenty of non-EU citizens as it is without them having to get to Ireland first.
    if youre having a pop at JRM you wont find me defending him. However the reality comes down to what is the border and as we have flogged the thing to death the only meaningful definition is it's a line behind which a set of laws are applied. For immigrants in practice that means the issue is can you get an NI number and work or claim benefits as of right ? The whole immigration issue would be largely dead and we would still be in the EU if a UK government of any shade had grasped this nettle.

For the other borders VAT, tax, standards we already have an internal mechanism for ensuring the laws of the land are obeyed. Use them. The reality is the overwhelming majority of businesses will comply with the law as they are law abiding and the non law abiding wont irrespective of how many laws are passed.

Personally I have no issue with people popping across the Irish border for a bargain, it's what Newry lives on. It alweays has happened and always will. My father spent years tramping around Fermanagh when he was in the RUC trying to stop smuggling. It was a total waste of time except in so far as it put the chancers off a bit. These days internal detection via the social security system oirthe banking system are the easier way to enforce the laws.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

T

That is the nub - we can do all sorts of things, as you say registration being however a pre-requisite for most of them. We don't seem to have started this. Plus the scope for c**k-up has got to be monumental in as you say such a frighteningly large job.
    I can't see FOM stopping before any transition period now. If we wanted it to work from March next year we would have had to start work a year ago at least.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    RobD said:

Polruan said:

RobD said:

Thanks, Topping!

OK, so everyone is still checked, it's just done when you embark?
    Yes, exactly. I don’t think there are any exceptions. For example, if you get the direct train from Marseille, which has no border control facilities, you have to get off for 45 minutes and go through passport control at Lille Europe and then get back on the same train (which is thoroughly searched in the meantime). Actually it’s a real killer for what’s otherwise a fantastic direct service to the Med, and means it’s probably a lot more pleasant to take return TGV to Paris and break the journey overnight there.
  • Options

Nor do they have to, they just have to apply the CTA as they are not in Schengen. As we have seen recently once the UK becomes a less profitable venue for European immigrants fewer people come. In a sitiuation where immigration is controlled this will be less of an issue.
  • Options

we have

the more amazing thing is that mainland UK is so effing stupid as to keep payi9ng the MLAs their salaries.

do somehing useful and start a petition to stop their pay
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

How could that prove someone didn't enter by the backdoor without getting their passport stamped?
    Then that should be a red flag. The exception being if they are Irish citizens, but they already have the right to settle in the UK.
  • Options

Nor do they have to, they just have to apply the CTA as they are not in Schengen. As we have seen recently once the UK becomes a less profitable venue for European immigrants fewer people come. In a sitiuation where immigration is controlled this will be less of an issue.
    Sounds like you’re concededing that Brexit will make the UK relatively poorer.
  • Options

if youre having a pop at JRM you wont find me defending him. However the reality comes down to what is the border and as we have flogged the thing to death the only meaningful definition is it's a line behind which a set of laws are applied. For immigrants in practice that means the issue is can you get an NI number and work or claim benefits as of right ? The whole immigration issue would be largely dead and we would still be in the EU if a UK government of any shade had grasped this nettle.

For the other borders VAT, tax, standards we already have an internal mechanism for ensuring the laws of the land are obeyed. Use them. The reality is the overwhelming majority of businesses will comply with the law as they are law abiding and the non law abiding wont irrespective of how many laws are passed.

Personally I have no issue with people popping across the Irish border for a bargain, it's what Newry lives on. It alweays has happened and always will. My father spent years tramping around Fermanagh when he was in the RUC trying to stop smuggling. It was a total waste of time except in so far as it put the chancers off a bit. These days internal detection via the social security system oirthe banking system are the easier way to enforce the laws.

Don't disagree - but there is a lot of "all the government needs to do is.." Which in each case the government has manifestly not done. Now this either means it won't or can't. If it won't it is truly strange; if it can't then that wouldn't surprise me. cf the 10s of thousands of immigrants pledge for years without success.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

we have

the more amazing thing is that mainland UK is so effing stupid as to keep payi9ng the MLAs their salaries.

Well between Dolores Kelly and the renewable heating intitiative..
  • Options

we have

Presumably a timetable to bring back direct rule would include the abolition of MLA salaries. Putting that on the table would surely concentrate minds a tad. We are making it too easy for them to behave irresponsibly.
  • Options

Bizarre
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582
    OT, but remarkable enough it demands to be posted - a Polly Toynbee article with which I wholeheartedly agree:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/28/religion-ireland-catholicism-abusers
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Don't disagree - but there is a lot of "all the government needs to do is.." Which in each case the government has manifestly not done. Now this either means it won't or can't. If it won't it is truly strange; if it can't then that wouldn't surprise me. cf the 10s of thousands of immigrants pledge for years without success.
    our current crop of leaders have got too far away from the coal face to understand this
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

we have

Presumably a timetable to bring back direct rule would include the abolition of MLA salaries. Putting that on the table would surely concentrate minds a tad. We are making it too easy for them to behave irresponsibly.
    it's not just that there is a stack of day to day issues lining up which cannot progress because there is no authority to approve them.

Remainers can cheer themselves up with the knowledge that irrespective how much the DUP demand pork in their barrel until they get back in to Stormont they cant spend it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

we have

The problem is the SF-DUP stitch-up that was the last agreement. Guaranteeing the largest party in the largest sections a place in government ensured that Stormont required SF-DUP agreement; any falling-out left no other options, unless the electorate was prepared to move to an alternative party.

Ideally, a new agreement would implement a more flexible system, which still preserved the requirement for cross-community coalitions but which wasn't so prescriptive as to which parties were involved. Unfortunately, Westminster politics makes this all-but impossible.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

we have

current summary of NI politics

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/08/27/you-could-drive-a-double-decker-bus-through-stormont/
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Is this in dispute by anyone other than Patrick Minford and his cohorts?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Well Alanbrooke apparently finds it ‘bizarre’.
  • Options

John_M said:

I find just about everything you post bizarre
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Good header.

"Dublin's hands are tied" is just a condescending way of saying "we can't bully Dublin".
    In a sense, yes it is. That is precisely JRM's objection. That said, I think 'bully' is the wrong word or phrase; 'ride roughshod over' would probably be more accurate. I don't think Mogg wants to actively bully Ireland; more that he'd rather it trailed along in Britain's wake.

But really, as I said earlier, I don't think he's fussed about Ireland at all (hence his ignorant comments), other than how the NI border issue affects the future UK-EU relationship.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Can we just nail one myth - the Irish government currently has a 'hard border' between Britain & Ireland for visitors from the UK, but the UK has stuck to its side of the CTA:

Sir,

– I’d like to add my voice to that of JH Martin (May 16th) regarding the woeful queues at Dublin Airport immigration. But what makes this baffling is that UK visitors have to go through this rigmarole, the same as visitors from anywhere else in the world, despite our much-vaunted and supposedly valued Common Travel Area.

Yet when I travel back to the UK, the authorities there keep their side of the bargain. I never have to pass through immigration and am treated much as an internal UK traveller.

How can we mope and moan about Brexit barriers being introduced when we haven’t made an effort to take advantage of existing agreements to make life easier for trade and travel between Ireland and the UK?
    – Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/passport-control-1.3097967
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

But the Home Office has shown no interest in hiring the extra UKBF officers that would be required to implement that. This summer the queues for non-EU citizens to enter the UK at LHR have exceeded 2.5 hours, leading the CEO of Heathrow Airport Limited to beg the Home Office to allow visitors from low-risk countries like the US and Canada to use the eGates. (The Home Office said "no" of course.)

After Brexit imposing multi-hour waits in passport lines on businesspeople wishing to trade with "global Britain" and tourists wishing to contribute to our economy seems an odd way to go about it.
  • Options

Can we just nail one myth - the Irish government currently has a 'hard border' between Britain & Ireland for visitors from the UK, but the UK has stuck to its side of the CTA:

Sir,

– I’d like to add my voice to that of JH Martin (May 16th) regarding the woeful queues at Dublin Airport immigration. But what makes this baffling is that UK visitors have to go through this rigmarole, the same as visitors from anywhere else in the world, despite our much-vaunted and supposedly valued Common Travel Area.

Yet when I travel back to the UK, the authorities there keep their side of the bargain. I never have to pass through immigration and am treated much as an internal UK traveller.

How can we mope and moan about Brexit barriers being introduced when we haven’t made an effort to take advantage of existing agreements to make life easier for trade and travel between Ireland and the UK?
    – Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

Read wot I wrote. Travellers into Ireland have their documents checked to ensure they are eligible to enter with no documents.
  • Options

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

yup

thats the state of play
  • Options

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

That's been in place since the 90s, and is in fact perfectly allowed under the CTA agreements, it's just the UK chooses not to reciprocate. A little-known fact about the CTA is that it only applies in full to British and Irish citizens *born* in the UK or Ireland. Only they can travel between the two countries without passports. Everyone else needs one. Although of course in practice this is rarely (but not never) enforced on the land border.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

we have

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/08/27/you-could-drive-a-double-decker-bus-through-stormont/
    Here's a better, if less amusing one.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/08/17/i-believe-so-strongly-that-we-have-a-massive-case-to-be-heard-this-is-about-a-way-of-life-we-cannot-go-back-to-any-form-of-hard-border/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    TOPPING said:

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

Read wot I wrote. Travellers into Ireland have their documents checked to ensure they are eligible to enter with no documents.
    That is a fantastic sentence.
  • Options

John_M said:

Perhaps you’re too far from the modern coal face to understand.
  • Options
    On topic. JRM is a clown. 'Freedom of Movement' is not controlled at the border. But you will almost certainly have to show photo-id to board your ferry or flight from NI to mainland UK - so unless you are planning to sail across independently, you've got to show ID.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

LOL I was going to add, in my piece, "Only in Ireland!!" but thought that might be too flippant!

I also thought the likes of Carlotta and Alan would understand what I said. Evidently it suits them not to.
  • Options

John_M said:

Perhaps you’re too far from the modern coal face to understand.
    Bizarre
  • Options

On topic. JRM is a clown. 'Freedom of Movement' is not controlled at the border. But you will almost certainly have to show photo-id to board your ferry or flight from NI to mainland UK - so unless you are planning to sail across independently, you've got to show ID.

yes.

or one of these docs:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    TOPPING said:

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

I know you wrote that (or a less "Irish" version of it).

But why do the Irish choose to have UK travellers processed through the same channels as arrivals from America, Europe and the Middle East?

At Gatwick, for example, CTA travellers have their own channel & baggage claim - no immigration, no customs.

Looks like one party values/respects the CTA more than another. Not the one making a fuss about 'hard borders'!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/08/17/i-believe-so-strongly-that-we-have-a-massive-case-to-be-heard-this-is-about-a-way-of-life-we-cannot-go-back-to-any-form-of-hard-border/
    Remainers have been creating the spectre of the hard border

As you reap so you sow
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow
    JRM is a Remainer? Bizarre.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

TOPPING said:

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

LOL I was going to add, in my piece, "Only in Ireland!!" but thought that might be too flippant!

I also thought the likes of Carlotta and Alan would understand what I said. Evidently it suits them not to.
    xenophobic lies :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I think I'm correct in saying you don't need to show ID if flying domestically on BA unless you check bags, and that includes to/from Belfast. Other domestic airlines do require ID in all cases.

Many years ago, just after the GFA and the ceasefires, we flew on a now long-defunct BA route from Cardiff to Belfast. We did not have to show ID at any point but on our way out we were asked to show our boarding passes to a plain-clothes (I'm guessing Special Branch) police officer (at least he was sitting at a desk marked "South Wales Police") before boarding. I wondered at the efficacy of this check as if we'd paid cash for our tickets, we could have used any names we liked.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow
    youre clearly a fan.

personally I ignore him
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow
    I'm pretty sure that Brexiters' copy of Taking Back Control for Beginners has a border chapter in it. Perhaps it's on Page 1.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow
    youre clearly a fan.

personally I ignore him
    Yes but he is not a Remainer, now, is he?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

I think I'm correct in saying you don't need to show ID if flying domestically on BA unless you check bags, and that includes to/from Belfast. Other domestic airlines do require ID in all cases.
    In my experience they usually check photo-ID at the gate (home printed boarding passes) - their website says:

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

Flights UK <>Republic of Ireland
    If you are a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland who was born in that country you do not need a passport to travel between the two countries but you do require some form of photographic identification, such as a driving licence.

All other travellers require a valid passport to travel between the two countries.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/passports-visas-and-api
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow
    I'm pretty sure that Brexiters' copy of Taking Back Control for Beginners has a border chapter in it. Perhaps it's on Page 1.
    were back to whats a border.

and as you know its a line behind which a set of laws apply

not even a brit fascist oppressor like yourelf is calling for a hard border
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow

PS where were you based ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sir,

– Yours, etc,
    DAVID CLARKE,
    Edinburgh.

But why do the Irish choose to have UK travellers processed through the same channels as arrivals from America, Europe and the Middle East?
    My experience of transiting through Dublin is that there is a channel for EU and a channel for everyone else. The EU channel is sometimes not staffed and when it is, it consists of a Garda waving any maroon passports through.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow
    youre clearly a fan.

personally I ignore him
    Yes but he is not a Remainer, now, is he?
    He's just confused.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

rpjs said:

In my experience they usually check photo-ID at the gate (home printed boarding passes) - their website says:

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.
    I think the operative word is "advise" there. If BA required photo ID for domestic travel, they'd say so. I've only ever travelled domestically on BA to/from connections to the US. I had to show my passport + green card when checking in at Manchester to show that I had the right docs to carry on to the US from Heathrow, but never had to show anything after arriving in the UK on the way to Manchester: I usually took a day time flight from JFK and stayed overnight at an airport hotel before taking a domestic leg in the morning. Instead of photo ID they photograph you before going through security and then compare that photo to you with machines at the gate.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow

Down the road from your father for some of the time - the Clogher Valley. And also spent some hilarious times on Lough Erne.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow

Down the road from your father for some of the time - the Clogher Valley. And also spent some hilarious times on Lough Erne.
    Hope you had a raincoat

I used to live about 500 yds from Thiepval Barracks, the first time my now wife visited she was awoken to the sound of helicopters flying over the house and machine gun fire from the practice range. Nobody in the family could understand what she was fussing about.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

we have

As you reap so you sow

Hope you had a raincoat

I used to live about 500 yds from Thiepval Barracks, the first time my now wife visited she was awoken to the sound of helicopters flying over the house and machine gun fire from the practice range. Nobody in the family could understand what she was fussing about.
    And all in the UK. Now that *was* bizarre.
This discussion has been closed.