Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Labour Party would split – and why it won’t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited August 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Labour Party would split – and why it won’t

Picture the scene. Lord Mandleson hosts a BBQ where “up to” 20 Labour rebels look at their options for a breakaway party. Labour’s Deputy Leader Tom Watson was amongst the group, uniting the remnant Blairite and Brownite camps against Corbyn.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    edited August 2018
    First. Thanks for this, RP.

"Jeremy Corbyn will retire, and a sizeable chunk of the membership will leave when he goes. When he does the party can change shape, organisation, message. Nothing that has been done – despite shrieking headlines of takeovers at local and NEC levels – cannot be undone."

There is a massive assumption in this: that Corbyn and his allies don't realise that it can be undone, and therefore don't put measures in place to ensure it's exceptionally difficult to undo. The Corbynite hard-left takeover is about more than Corbyn - it's about ensuring that a sane centrist Labour party (e.g. Blair, Brown, Miliband) can never get the reins again.

The heinous attacks by so-called 'Labour' supporters against other Labour MPs are a classic example. Their moderate views are no longer wanted within the party.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    Second! Like Corbyn....(and Remain & Yes)
  • Options
    Great thread - thanks Rochdale Pioneers. You write:

People like me sick to the back teeth of Corbyn and the dross that surround him will wait him out, as happened with Michael Foot.

Where is the Denis Healey of the Foot days to give you confidence that the patriotic Labour party more worried about the people of Paisley than the people of Palestine is still there?

I've no doubt there are plenty at Branch level, but the Labour Party in the HoC 'that owed more to Methodism than Marxism' appears AWOL.....
  • Options
    The nightmare for rational Labour supporters such as RP is that Corbyn leaves as leader, and is replaced with McDonnell, or Williamson, or another hard-left figure. This leads to an election defeat, but that defeat would not be down to the insanity at the top of the party: it would be down to the evil Conservatives cheating, or the media, or the shadowy figures pulling the strings behind the scenes. The party thus entrenches.

Actually, that's only a secondary nightmare. The real nightmare would be for his beloved Labour party to win a stonking majority under Corbyn, and for him to see it implement policies against 'others' that make the Conservatives seem like puppy-loving naive little girls.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited August 2018
    It depends what people think the changes are that Corbyn has made...

I can't see the Labour party going back to pro privatisation or shying away from nationalisation as much as it did pre Corbyn (for a couple of decades). I can't see the Labour party going back to being as pro war as it was under Blair.

Politically I feel like the Labour party has shifted, there are things that are just accepted within Labour now that were not before and I can't see that suddenly shifting after Corbyn. A candidate who made a pitch to go back would not be successful IMO.

I can't see the changes to the method of electing a leader brought in under Corbyn changing too suddenly either, it will probably remain a member driven party.

The plans to base the British economy on a natural resource whose price will fall below what it is worth to extract will probably be shelved, but to be honest I always thought the turn Britain into Venezuela project was a bit too ambitious and there hadn't been any real planning done just false promises from unreliable sources...

Edit: Those who would expect a dramatic departure from the last manifesto (as in well to the right) under a new leader would probably be very disappointed. Those who think Corbyn is evil for various reasons but haven't actually got a problem with his policies may be pleased. Although I would expect the right wing papers to come up with hundreds of reasons why the new left wing leader is also evil for various reasons so I'm not sure there is much difference in the end....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    You are currently adopting a "My Party, right or wrong" stance. Despite knowing much is wrong. Very wrong.

Just don't expect the voters to be so sanguine.

And the activists of other parties will be doubly determined to point out that even Labour's own members are "sick to the back teeth of Corbyn and the dross that surround him". And doubly determined to keep them from power.
  • Options

I can't see the Labour party going back to pro privatisation or shying away from nationalisation as much as it did pre Corbyn (for a couple of decades). I can't see the Labour party going back to being as pro war as it was under Blair.

Politically I feel like the Labour party has shifted, there are things that are just accepted within Labour now that were not before and I can't see that suddenly shifting after Corbyn. A candidate who made a pitch to go back would not be successful IMO.

I can't see the changes to the method of electing a leader brought in under Corbyn changing too suddenly either, it will probably remain a member driven party.

The plans to base the British economy on a natural resource whose price will fall below what it is worth to extract will probably be shelved, but to be honest I always thought the turn Britain into Venezuela project was a bit too ambitious and there hadn't been any real planning done just false promises from unreliable sources...

Edit: Those who would expect a dramatic departure from the last manifesto (as in well to the right) under a new leader would probably be very disappointed. Those who think Corbyn is evil for various reasons but haven't actually got a problem with his policies may be pleased. Although I would expect the right wing papers to come up with hundreds of reasons why the new left wing leader is also evil for various reasons so I'm not sure there is much difference in the end....

"Politically I feel like the Labour party has shifted, there are things that are just accepted within Labour now that were not before"

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,543

You are currently adopting a "My Party, right or wrong" stance. Despite knowing much is wrong. Very wrong.

And the activists of other parties will be doubly determined to point out that even Labour's own members are "sick to the back teeth of Corbyn and the dross that surround him". And doubly determined to keep them from power.

Thats what we were told last Spring, but it didn't happen that way did it?

I don't expect the next election to be a re-run of 2017, but the anger that a lot of voters have with how the country is being run is not going away.

A bit of redistribution sounds very good if you are a graduate in Generation Rent, struggling to make ends meet without any savings, unable to afford social care, or merely being fleeced every day for a poor rail service.

There are some nasty pieces of work on the hard left, but Left Populism has probably more electoral potential than Right Populism, particulary if Brexit fails to deliver for the people of Hartlepool, South Wales and Cornwall.

An unexpected outcome of the fall of Salmond may also be the return of SLAB to electoral success, at least at the Westminster level.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

"Politically I feel like the Labour party has shifted, there are things that are just accepted within Labour now that were not before"

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.
    I can't imagine our position on Israel-Palestine will change much, although it hasn't really changed much since Ed anyway. The papers may not need to cover for Islamophobia at that point to the same extent.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

It's a nice idea that the far left will voluntarily leave. I fear it's fanciful, however. Why would they? They've got the whip hand, and wish to rewrite the leadership rulebook to all but guarantee there's some brand of hammer-and-sickle fruitcake on the ballot. Changes to constituencies may very well prompt the friend of Hamas to have a purge, sorry, mandatory reselections which may sadly result in some Blairites losing their seats.

Trying nothing and hoping the far left just toddle off into the sunset is like communism. A nice idea that doesn't survive contact with reality. In the real world, it doesn't make any sense.

Meanwhile, Labour MPs who just hang around until the next election are going to go in to bat for Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister.

I hope you're right, and I'm wrong.

But I think you've got a comforting delusion to cling to, which bridges the cognitive dissonance between liking Labour and loathing Corbyn. It removes the need for you, and moderate MPs, to make a choice. But this isn't masterly inactivity. It's sticking your collective head in the sand.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Foxy said:

Thats what we were told last Spring, but it didn't happen that way did it?

I don't expect the next election to be a re-run of 2017, but the anger that a lot of voters have with how the country is being run is not going away.

A bit of redistribution sounds very good if you are a graduate in Generation Rent, struggling to make ends meet without any savings, unable to afford social care, or merely being fleeced every day for a poor rail service.

There are some nasty pieces of work on the hard left, but Left Populism has probably more electoral potential than Right Populism, particulary if Brexit fails to deliver for the people of Hartlepool, South Wales and Cornwall.

An unexpected outcome of the fall of Salmond may also be the return of SLAB to electoral success, at least at the Westminster level.
    Why should the (I suspect temporary) fall of Salmond make any difference to SLAB? He was Yesterday’s Man, surely.

Agree that the next election won’t be a re-run of 2017..... elections rarely, if ever, are.... the nearest I can think of was 2001 being a re-run of 1997 and also that a lot of people are very unhappy with what is happening........ what worries me is that the unhappy will think that direct action is more likely to achieve a result than voting.
  • Options

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.
    I can't imagine our position on Israel-Palestine will change much, although it hasn't really changed much since Ed anyway. The papers may not need to cover for Islamophobia at that point to the same extent.
    Your party's position on anti-Semitism has changed. It's now allowed within the ranks, is being ignored, and you have a raving anti-Semite at the party's head.

I also note you deliberately confuse 'anti-Semtiism' with 'Israel-Palestine'. That doesn't exactly help your case.

And yes, Islamaphobia is bad - but it's disgraceful of you to try to cover the anti-Semitism issue in your party by pointing out other problems elsewhere, as if that excuses it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Corbyn is "only" 69 and will be there as long as he wants - win or lose. So waiting him out is a ridiculous strategy as he could be in place for another 10-15 years.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.
    Your party's position on anti-Semitism has changed. It's now allowed within the ranks, is being ignored, and you have a raving anti-Semite at the party's head.

I also note you deliberately confuse 'anti-Semtiism' with 'Israel-Palestine'. That doesn't exactly help your case.

And yes, Islamaphobia is bad - but it's disgraceful of you to try to cover the anti-Semitism issue in your party by pointing out other problems elsewhere, as if that excuses it.
    TBH I can't see the party position on anti semitism changing, it is considered bad, it was considered bad it will probably be considered bad under a new leader. Given the new leader will probably not greatly shift our position on Israel-Palestine they will also be a raving anti semite.

They won't hate Jewish people but that won't be much change from the last 2 leaders. Edit: or several before that probably.

I don't use Islamophobia as an excuse. It is good line for white people to claim they are anti racists whilst voting for the Conservatives and against most minorities. It might not be an excuse for them, I'm sure a good deal of them believe it. Also excellent cover for politicians like Boris, Labour politicians shouldn't call out Boris' dogwhistling because they oppose the occupation of Palestine... excellent politics it must be said.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Thanks very much for the thread, much appreciated. I am, however, somewhat unpersuaded that these lefty loons will somehow all just go away when Corbyn decides to hang up his sickle. Corbyn has been exposed as a nasty piece of work, willing to blame the west and the US for anything and happy to excuse any atrocity by those on his side (which is never our side) to do it. It does seem to me, however, that the point that @TheJezziah makes about policy is a good one. What major differences were there between the 2017 manifesto and the 2015 version?

I can't claim to have made a detailed study and would be happy to be corrected but the 2017 version seemed more of the same in that it made a large series of promises which were incapable of being funded at the same time, did not seek to prioritise amongst them and maybe had just a little more emphasis on nationalisation. In short such changes as there were were probably perfectly acceptable to the vast majority of Labour members.

Of course the right always challenge anything that the left want to do on the basis it is unfunded or unaffordable. That is the nature of politics. In reality our economy has proven much more robust and more capable of funding increases in spending than the right would have us believe. Much though i admire Osborne's economic management in a very difficult situation there was something both ideological and unnecessary in his 35% of GDP target for government spending. It is probably quite possible now for public spending to be increased by 2-3% of GDP (roughly £40-60bn) without doing long term economic damage provided it is done by taxes and not borrowing.

To be clear I don't think that this would be a good thing (the economy will grow more rapidly if the tax burden is not excessive) but it is noteworthy that even Tories seem to have largely given up on tax cuts given the enormous demand for government funded services we are facing. Rather than sharing the proceeds of growth we seem to be getting to the point that all of them will be ploughed back into a public sector desperately short of cash.

If the rational part of the Labour Party are broadly happy with the policy direction the arguments against another disastrous split become compelling because this becomes about personalities not principle. How decent folk work to elect that scumbag at the next election is beyond me but I can see them persuading themselves it is a necessary evil. I therefore think that @RochdalePioneer is right. No split of any substance and a desire to have this unhappy episode behind them as soon as possible.
  • Options

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

The problem is that the two are confused. The IHRA definition and examples do define some criticism of Israel as anti-semitic.

Has Jezza ever made an anti-semitic comment outside the context of his support for Palestine?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Great article thanks but I have to agree with others. As the (A-level) physicists will confirm, inertia can mean nothing changes for quite some time and then when it does change why wouldn't it be for an equally bonkers or, for the country's well being, dangerous leader?

The leadership might be old but the membership is young and still looking for a fight to take to The Man.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I wouldn't write him off yet - he's resigned from the SNP to stop his continuing membership becoming an issue - and his (shameless) crowdfunding has smashed its £50,000 goal in under 10 hours:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/AlexSalmond

SLAB's problems were much more than 'the rise of the SNP and the Sturgeon pivot to the central belt' - decades of complacency and all the talent siphoned off to London lay behind it - and it won't be easy to turn around.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

The problem is that the two are confused. The IHRA definition and examples do define some criticism of Israel as anti-semitic.

Has Jezza ever made an anti-semitic comment outside the context of his support for Palestine?
    I thought his comments about British Jews not getting English irony despite living here most of their lives fell into that category.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Great article thanks but I have to agree with others. As the (A-level) physicists will confirm, inertia can mean nothing changes for quite some time and then when it does change why wouldn't it be for an equally bonkers or, for the country's well being, dangerous leader?

The leadership might be old but the membership is young and still looking for a fight to take to The Man.

Newton’s First Law is taught at GCSE, so not even A-level.

BTW what do people think of the absolutely excellent suggestion this morning that Physics teachers (along with one or two other subjects) should be paid more?

https://bbc.co.uk/news/education-45341734
  • Options
    @DavidL

You'll need someone who has looked at and remembers the 2015 manifesto to give you that breakdown, I can only remember some of the highlights really of the 2017 one.

In very vague terms it was probably a bit to the left of it, 2015 plus nationalisation and free tuition fees. On the basis of the manifestos alone I don't think you could really declare it a radical departure.

Those who were already against the policy direction under Ed, so wanting a shift back to the right, who don't have strong feelings of loyalty to Labour for various reasons have probably already left.

There is definitely a section of the party who would want a shift back in policy, who probably thought the party started going the wrong direction under Ed to begin with but the fact these people mostly attack Corbyn on non policy areas is telling*, the policy argument isn't a winning one for them within the party.

*Even if we play out a hypothetical where Corbyn is a bad person and they are right about him, if that was the way to take out this bad person they why do it, if you can only take out Al Capone on tax evasion you go for it. It is a losing strategy which is why they don't, or they did but mostly stopped which is why I think a policy shift back is unlikely.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Thanks for an interesting piece, Rochdale!
  • Options

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

TBH I can't see the party position on anti semitism changing, it is considered bad, it was considered bad it will probably be considered bad under a new leader. Given the new leader will probably not greatly shift our position on Israel-Palestine they will also be a raving anti semite.

They won't hate Jewish people but that won't be much change from the last 2 leaders. Edit: or several before that probably.

I don't use Islamophobia as an excuse. It is good line for white people to claim they are anti racists whilst voting for the Conservatives and against most minorities. It might not be an excuse for them, I'm sure a good deal of them believe it. Also excellent cover for politicians like Boris, Labour politicians shouldn't call out Boris' dogwhistling because they oppose the occupation of Palestine... excellent politics it must be said.
    It is not considered bad by your leader, who is anti-Semitic and won't even stay in the Commons to listen to his own Jewish MPs outline the abuse they get.

All parties will have racists of all stripes in them. Mostly they will remain hidden. What matters is what happens when they unveil themselves. In Labour's case, anti-Semitism has not been taken seriously even from major figures: Livingstone's comments being an early example where the party was utterly ineffectual for *years*.

Yet if (say Livingstone) had made similar comments about Muslims, or other ethnic minorities, Labour's reaction would be very different.
  • Options

@DavidL

You'll need someone who has looked at and remembers the 2015 manifesto to give you that breakdown, I can only remember some of the highlights really of the 2017 one.

In very vague terms it was probably a bit to the left of it, 2015 plus nationalisation and free tuition fees. On the basis of the manifestos alone I don't think you could really declare it a radical departure.

Those who were already against the policy direction under Ed, so wanting a shift back to the right, who don't have strong feelings of loyalty to Labour for various reasons have probably already left.

There is definitely a section of the party who would want a shift back in policy, who probably thought the party started going the wrong direction under Ed to begin with but the fact these people mostly attack Corbyn on non policy areas is telling*, the policy argument isn't a winning one for them within the party.

*Even if we play out a hypothetical where Corbyn is a bad person and they are right about him, if that was the way to take out this bad person they why do it, if you can only take out Al Capone on tax evasion you go for it. It is a losing strategy which is why they don't, or they did but mostly stopped which is why I think a policy shift back is unlikely.

As I said, I largely agree with you. The change of emphasis between the 2 manifestos was modest and probably what the majority of Labour supporters wanted. There are reasons why the Blairites have not been able to bring forward a coherent alternative policy platform and why they likes of Liz Kendall did so badly in the leadership elections. Blairism was the aberration. People ask where is our Macron who can break up the existing party structures. I say we've already had him and it did not end particularly well.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Salmond’s fundraising must be one of the fastest and most successful efforts ever.

Whatever it says though about Salmond’s pull, I can’t see this ending well for the SNP or for the Indy cause.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

There is a massive assumption in this: that Corbyn and his allies don't realise that it can be undone, and therefore don't put measures in place to ensure it's exceptionally difficult to undo. The Corbynite hard-left takeover is about more than Corbyn - it's about ensuring that a sane centrist Labour party (e.g. Blair, Brown, Miliband) can never get the reins again.

What specific measures are we talking about?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

See his comments on 'irony', to name just one.

I agree that anti-Semtism and criticism of Israel do get confused, and that some people will try to call valid criticism of Israel anti-Semtism.

However, others hide their anti-Semtism behind invalid and one-sided criticism of Israel.

The IHRA examples are a red Herring. It's perfectly possible to vociferously criticise Israel within them: but that's not what Corbyn and his acolytes do.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

I thought his comments about British Jews not getting English irony despite living here most of their lives fell into that category.
    He didn't speak about British Jews though, he spoke about a particular group of zionists and how the ambassador had a greater grasp of English irony than them.

The problem is that part comes down to interpretation, if Corbyn secretly meant Jewish people cannot get English Irony because being Jewish stops you being English then that is racist.

That is well removed from what he actually said though.
  • Options
    Morning all. As you will note its already quite a long piece, so I had to edit for length. I decided to leave in my thoughts on membership leaving as a rather bold statement as a discussion point. My rationale:

Its a cult. A personality cult based around the majestic figure that is Jeremy Corbyn. As we read last night from Williamson Corbyn is a man who has never been wrong, always voting WITH the party against New Labour even if that meant voting against the party in the decade before New Labour was invented.

Another meme on Facebook declares him to be the "bravest and finest leader we've ever had". Much braver than Major Attlee who was 2nd last off the beach at Gallipoli, injured in battle yet rejoined the fight, dropped his friend Ramsay MacDonald when he formed a national government, rebuilt the party from 50 seats to win a landslide, built the welfare state AND the atom bomb etc etc.

The talk is about who will succeed him. He will retire at some point, he's already an old man and must feel so constrained by the leadership preventing him hosting another "Why Jews are evil" meeting. If we lose the next election - and all things are possible in politics - why would a 73 year old Corbyn want to wait until he was 78 before having another shot? And if he wins the dampening effects of power constraining his ideas plus the stress of power ageing him suggests he wouldn't last out a full term.

Because its a cult, and an increasingly overblown paranoid one, people will leave when He does. I already know members who say this. They are not interested in the Labour Party or the movement. They are interested in Him. So when the talk is about rule changes or the makeup of the NEC, remember that all these can change again. I do not anticipate - nor do I want - a return to New Labour, nor do I want a wholesale change in policy direction. What we need to be less batshit crazy, and the ending of the cult will go a long way towards that.
  • Options

Salmond’s fundraising must be one of the fastest and most successful efforts ever.

Whatever it says though about Salmond’s pull, I can’t see this ending well for the SNP or for the Indy cause.

Which is why it may benefit SLAB. The people have to vote for someone.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, they can abstain.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@DavidL

As I said, I largely agree with you. The change of emphasis between the 2 manifestos was modest and probably what the majority of Labour supporters wanted. There are reasons why the Blairites have not been able to bring forward a coherent alternative policy platform and why they likes of Liz Kendall did so badly in the leadership elections. Blairism was the aberration. People ask where is our Macron who can break up the existing party structures. I say we've already had him and it did not end particularly well.
    Just the 13 years in power, with MPs in the most unlikely of places.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

BTW what do people think of the absolutely excellent suggestion this morning that Physics teachers (along with one or two other subjects) should be paid more?

I think exposing teaching to the laws of supply and demand would probably be a good thing but it would not just be by subject but also by area. There is no need to pay physics teachers more in the "cold" areas referred to in the report. I also think that bringing home to kids at a younger stage that doing your degree in a real subject not only makes it more challenging but also brings financial rewards would be a good thing (ducks).

One of the major upsides of private education is that pretty much all of my son's teachers in science and maths have doctorates in their subject. This doesn't necessarily make them great teachers of course but they know their subjects and can bring enough extra into a pitiful curriculum to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    While a great article, comment of the day must go to @TheJezziah.

Labour's plans to turn the UK into a country which has utterly destroyed itself were "too ambitious". Don't worry @TheJezziah I'm sure if in power Labour will give it their best shot.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@DavidL

Yeah I agree that we had our Macron in Blair already and I did think that was probably one thing working against it happening again.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Foxy said:

But SLAB currently have an English born leader - which is never great for a party trying to win over nationalist voters back to their side.

Plus that leader is not exactly oozing personality or charisma. He does not seem to be breaking through. And that makes their task harder.

People don't have to vote for anyone. They can choose to stay at home.

I am not sure Richard Leonard is a reason to leave the house on polling day.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    edited August 2018
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Except he didn't. I'm actually a Zionist myself (which traditionally is defined as believing that Israel should exist and be protected, although some use it to support illegal West Bank settlement and other policies), and I was on the executive of Labour Friends of Israel, but I think the claims by some who should know better that anti-Zionism is the same as anti-Semitism are ridiculous. Anti-Zionism is an opinion about the Middle East. Anti-semitism is hatred of individuals and communities in Britain. In 40 years of acquaintance, I've never heard Corbyn express hatred for anyone at all.

In particular, the belief of both keen Zionists and real anti-semites that all Jews identify with Israel (and therefore that being hostile to Israel and in particular to Israeli expansion is the same thing as being hostile to Jews) is itself anti-semitic. Why should all Jewish people hold any particular opinion? They don't.

But I think we've got as far as we're going to with that particular debate - people either believe he is or he isn't, and it's got way beyond the point where accepting the ILHR examples etc. will make any difference. In my opinion he should make one more speech on the issue and conclude by saying that as party leader and potential PM he now has to concentrate on other issues and will not be commenting further (FWIW I don't plan to either). I think all this is a huge oppportunity cost for Labour and our ratings will decline further until we stop giving the issue oxygen by constantly trying to resolve it - and I think that's why some, though not all, of the critics want to prolong it.

• Options

Morning all. As you will note its already quite a long piece, so I had to edit for length. I decided to leave in my thoughts on membership leaving as a rather bold statement as a discussion point. My rationale:

Its a cult. A personality cult based around the majestic figure that is Jeremy Corbyn. As we read last night from Williamson Corbyn is a man who has never been wrong, always voting WITH the party against New Labour even if that meant voting against the party in the decade before New Labour was invented.

Another meme on Facebook declares him to be the "bravest and finest leader we've ever had". Much braver than Major Attlee who was 2nd last off the beach at Gallipoli, injured in battle yet rejoined the fight, dropped his friend Ramsay MacDonald when he formed a national government, rebuilt the party from 50 seats to win a landslide, built the welfare state AND the atom bomb etc etc.

The talk is about who will succeed him. He will retire at some point, he's already an old man and must feel so constrained by the leadership preventing him hosting another "Why Jews are evil" meeting. If we lose the next election - and all things are possible in politics - why would a 73 year old Corbyn want to wait until he was 78 before having another shot? And if he wins the dampening effects of power constraining his ideas plus the stress of power ageing him suggests he wouldn't last out a full term.

Because its a cult, and an increasingly overblown paranoid one, people will leave when He does. I already know members who say this. They are not interested in the Labour Party or the movement. They are interested in Him. So when the talk is about rule changes or the makeup of the NEC, remember that all these can change again. I do not anticipate - nor do I want - a return to New Labour, nor do I want a wholesale change in policy direction. What we need to be less batshit crazy, and the ending of the cult will go a long way towards that.

Will McDonnell, Abbott and Williamson leave?
  • Options

It is not considered bad by your leader, who is anti-Semitic and won't even stay in the Commons to listen to his own Jewish MPs outline the abuse they get.

All parties will have racists of all stripes in them. Mostly they will remain hidden. What matters is what happens when they unveil themselves. In Labour's case, anti-Semitism has not been taken seriously even from major figures: Livingstone's comments being an early example where the party was utterly ineffectual for *years*.

Yet if (say Livingstone) had made similar comments about Muslims, or other ethnic minorities, Labour's reaction would be very different.
    Ken was in the party for years before Corbyn become leader, Naz Shah's comments that were pulled up were made before Corbyn become leader, almost all the comments complained about from Corbyn were made before Corbyn became leader. Those who think things magically changed when Corbyn became leader might think things have magically changed back or they might not. Their thinking won't have much reflection in reality though.

I imagine the next leader will probably have a bladder as well so there is a risk that they too would use the toilet.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Except he didn't. I'm actually a Zionist myself (which traditionally is defined as believing that Israel should exist and be protected, although some use it to support illegal West Bank settlement and other policies), and I was on the executive of Labour Friends of Israel, but I think the claims by some who should know better that anti-Zionism is the same as anti-Semitism are ridiculous. Anti-Zionism is an opinion about the Middle East. Anti-semitism is hatred of individuals and communities in Britain. In 40 years of acquaintance, I've never heard Corbyn express hatred for anyone at all.

In particular, the belief of both keen Zionists and real anti-semites that all Jews identify with Israel (and therefore that being hostile to Israel and in particular to Israeli expansion is the same thing as being hostile to Jews) is itself anti-semitic. Why should all Jewish people hold any particular opinion? They don't.

But I think we've got as far as we're going to with that particular debate - people either believe he is or he isn't, and it's got way beyond the point where accepting the ILHR examples etc. will make any difference. In my opinion he should make one more speech on the issue and conclude by saying that as party leader and potential PM he now has to concentrate on other issues and will not be commenting further (FWIW I don't plan to either). I think all this is a huge oppportunity cost for Labour and our ratings will decline further until we stop giving the issue oxygen by constantly trying to resolve it - and I think that's why some, though not all, of the critics want to prolong it.

You may not have heard Corbyn express hatred for anyone, but everyone knows his views. He doesn't have to "SAY" it.
  • Options
    On topic, I reckon there will be a defection of a dozen or so - some of the public comments have gone too far to row back on. But I don't think there's enough coherence around any alternative ideas to make a new party work, and the MPs involved will make individual decisions to retire, join another party or stand as independents.

The key issue for some time has been whether the left should use its strength in CLPs to go for reselection (it doesn't need to be mandatory - the current rules are enough to make it happen). They decided not to, and candidates all over the place are being selected with few successful attempts to push in strong left-wingers. That's why most MPs don't in reality feel their positions are under threat and they can wait things out and see what happens. The downside for the left is that post-2022 there will not be a PLP majority for hard-left policies and compromise will be needed - people like McDonnell have seen that very clearly, but accept it as the price of not pushing large numbers of MPs into revolt.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115
    edited August 2018

Why should the (I suspect temporary) fall of Salmond make any difference to SLAB? He was Yesterday’s Man, surely.

Ordinarily I would agree with you. If it were Cameron, or Miliband, or Carwyn Jones or Wendy Alexander this would be a brief silly season* story that would get no traction beyond next week, and would not be a party-damaging scandal even in the event of prosecution.

But Salmond is a little bit different. He's he most charismatic, effective, and in many ways brilliant politician of his generation. Looked at with a cold eye, his achievements are in many ways more spectacular than those of Tony Blair. On its own, winning an overall majority in the Scottish Parliament is an astonishing feat that is not likely to be repeated this side of the removal of the stupid d'Hondt system.

He is also the person who for nearly thirty years has defined Scottish independence - for good or ill. Whether leader or not, he has been the driving force, his vision has shaped the movement, his energy and ideals have been what gave it its vitality and purpose. Even after he has resigned as leader, he has been the one who seems to hold the power in the party. He came back in 2004 simply because no other politician could even begin to replace his profile. Even after 2014, he was a crucial influence in the 'Ajockalypse' of 2015 and for all Angus Robertson's excellence he remained the dominant media presence in the Westminster party. Without Salmond, not only would the independence referendum not even have been close, it would probably never have been held, as Sturgeon's misfiring attempts to replicate his dynamism have shown.

I hope these allegations are wrong, even though I'm increasingly ambivalent about him and his politics. But if he does face court proceedings, the parallels with Jeremy Thorpe - and the way in which he has surpassed Thorpe in crucial areas - are extremely striking.

*Edit - I should make it clear I'm not suggesting such allegations are silly. I'm saying that one reason this is getting more exposure, like Corbyn's humiliation over his racism, is because it is the silly season and there isn't much else to write about.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

I agree that this is a sterile debate but what he said was that British Zionists don't get English irony despite living here most of their lives. That is anti-Semitic. He is of course entitled to disagree with British Zionists about Israel's west bank policies (I do myself) but suggesting that they are less British or other because they hold those views is wrong. I am sorry you can't see that.
  • Options

Ken was in the party for years before Corbyn become leader, Naz Shah's comments that were pulled up were made before Corbyn become leader, almost all the comments complained about from Corbyn were made before Corbyn became leader. Those who think things magically changed when Corbyn became leader might think things have magically changed back or they might not. Their thinking won't have much reflection in reality though.

I imagine the next leader will probably have a bladder as well so there is a risk that they too would use the toilet.

How many excuse will you have to make before you start thinking that you are stretching credulity a little thin?

I'm not saying things 'magically changed': they have, however, got much worse under anti-Semite Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    If there is to be a new centrist party 4 is most likely.

A Labour MP was quoted in the Evening Standard yesterday that it was not enough for Labour to be led by Corbynism it would need the Tories to be led by a hard Brexiteer like Boris or Mogg for a centrist party to really take off. In a similar way it was the polarizing choice in 1981 between Thatcher's right-wing Tories and Foot's hard Left Labour which led to the formation of the centrist pro EEC SDP-Liberal Alliance which got 25% at the 1983 general election (still the highest total ever for a post War UK Liberal centrist party)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Retire. Again, getting on a bit, and the membership has a very energetic and growing youthful element. We are selecting a lot of younger candidates. And if they want to stay thats fine as well - I do not want an exodus of members. Most of the people who joined the party under Jeremy do literally nothing. Ask most CLPs what change there has been in active member counts and they will tell you "very little".

The other scenario is of course that the cult implodes. A paranoid leadership cult seeing plots and enemies everywhere, making absurd defensive positions to defend Him (such as backing Willsman) will inevitably eat itself. Momentum dropped Willsman from the #JC9 and was accused of betraying the leader and the membership. Lansman has been moving to get the IHRA definition adopted in full, and people on Facebook are denouncing him, asking how they get him kicked out of Momentum. That he owns Momentum in the very literal sense has passed them by, such as the "People's Momentum" spin been a success.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

I think exposing teaching to the laws of supply and demand would probably be a good thing but it would not just be by subject but also by area. There is no need to pay physics teachers more in the "cold" areas referred to in the report. I also think that bringing home to kids at a younger stage that doing your degree in a real subject not only makes it more challenging but also brings financial rewards would be a good thing (ducks).

One of the major upsides of private education is that pretty much all of my son's teachers in science and maths have doctorates in their subject. This doesn't necessarily make them great teachers of course but they know their subjects and can bring enough extra into a pitiful curriculum to keep it interesting.
    We have had a few PhDs (and even the odd DPhil) on the staff at the state school I teach at. We even had an American ex-professor who had to be restrained from teaching quantum mechanics to Year 8. I haven’t yet met someone with a doctorate in Maths who wasn’t seriously loopy, though I know it’s a small sample size. That said, two of the finest teachers I ever knew were both Drs, as was my own Physics teacher when I was at school.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

He didn't speak about British Jews though, he spoke about a particular group of zionists and how the ambassador had a greater grasp of English irony than them.

The problem is that part comes down to interpretation, if Corbyn secretly meant Jewish people cannot get English Irony because being Jewish stops you being English then that is racist.

Their religion and ethnicity was intrinsic to the comment. You could not read the remark as making sense in relation to, say, Tony Blair (a Zionist).
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

I agree that anti-Semtism and criticism of Israel do get confused, and that some people will try to call valid criticism of Israel anti-Semtism.

However, others hide their anti-Semtism behind invalid and one-sided criticism of Israel.

The IHRA examples are a red Herring. It's perfectly possible to vociferously criticise Israel within them: but that's not what Corbyn and his acolytes do.
    Not a red herring. The problem is history. Corbyn and others have made comments which breach the IHRA examples, particularly with Nazi analogies. These used to be commonplace and were not considered antisemitic but now, under the IHRA definition, they are. That is the problem: if Labour adopts all the examples then Corbyn and others are immediately guilty because of what they said in the past, often long before the IHRA definition which dates only from 2016. Compare that with the date on some of the video clips dredged up.

I might be made redundant soon so if I were to apply for head of PR at the Israeli embassy, I'd make much more of Israel being the only open democracy in the Middle East, the only country with full trades union rights, and gay rights, and one of the few with freedom of religion and rule of law. That is how to persuade his followers that Corbyn is wrong.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

While a great article, comment of the day must go to @TheJezziah.

Labour's plans to turn the UK into a country which has utterly destroyed itself were "too ambitious". Don't worry @TheJezziah I'm sure if in power Labour will give it their best shot.

I don't think it is even about talent or effort, I'm just not sure we can really 'become Venezuela' as in copy what happened even if we wanted to...

• Options

TOPPING said:

I have never quite understood why History teachers, of whom there are five for every four places, should be rated the same in salary terms as physics or maths teachers, where every one teacher can have their pick of five places. We have some freedoms over our pay structure and I believe that after some nifty footwork by the SLT I am paid less than our sole specialist physics teacher. Since he is worth his weight in gold, I have taken care not to know or create a fuss about this.

We already have different structures for bursaries, golden hellos etc for these people - why not extend it to salary?

I suppose the only possible issue is that if we compared it with the salaries physics graduates could earn in industry, banking or academia, schools would struggle to fund them.
  • Options

Foxy said:

But SLAB currently have an English born leader - which is never great for a party trying to win over nationalist voters back to their side.

Plus that leader is not exactly oozing personality or charisma. He does not seem to be breaking through. And that makes their task harder.

Richard Leonard may have been born and raised in Yorkshire but he attended the University of Stirling and has lived and worked in Scotland ever since
  • Options

How many excuse will you have to make before you start thinking that you are stretching credulity a little thin?

I'm not saying things 'magically changed': they have, however, got much worse under anti-Semite Jeremy Corbyn.
    They were just as bad under anti semite Ed Miliband, in fact I've seen things to suggest worse.

Of course neither Ed nor Jeremy are anti semites, merely opposed to the occupation of Palestinians.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

His support for the East End mural showing hook-nosed Jewish bankers oppressing black people had nothing to do with the Israel-Palestine issue.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

I have never quite understood why History teachers, of whom there are five for every four places, should be rated the same in salary terms as physics or maths teachers, where every one teacher can have their pick of five places. We have some freedoms over our pay structure and I believe that after some nifty footwork by the SLT I am paid less than our sole specialist physics teacher. Since he is worth his weight in gold, I have taken care not to know or create a fuss about this.

We already have different structures for bursaries, golden hellos etc for these people - why not extend it to salary?

I suppose the only possible issue is that if we compared it with the salaries physics graduates could earn in industry, banking or academia, schools would struggle to fund them.
    STEM teachers should be paid more on average than arts and humanities teachers as they would likely earn more in the outside world on average than arts and humanities teachers would (which is also why more History, English, Languages and Geography graduates become teachers than Maths, Physics, Chemistry and IT graduates)
  • Options

The next leader will have a bowel too - but by then the movement could have followed Corbyn down the pan.
  • Options
    On topic, it’s unlikely to happen because Labour’s right are out of ideas and out of leaders. Centrists looking for a new party would do better looking for a famous person not previously in politics who would attract attention and build a party round him or her. Someone like Gary Lineker, perhaps.

It still almost certainly wouldn’t work because of the absence of ideas.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, just another excuse. If a Boris or Mogg-type became Con leader and the polls shifted to Labour, said 'moderates' would then say they couldn't risk leaving Labour and splitting their vote because it might let the Evil Tories win. If a Boris or Mogg-type became Con leader and the polls moved to the blues, said 'moderates' would claim they should stay and that after inevitable defeat Corbyn et al. would resign.

The end point, staying with Labour, is known. The rationalisation is all that changes.
  • Options

In 40 years of acquaintance, I've never heard Corbyn express hatred for anyone at all.

The overblown bit is accusing him of being an active anti-semite. He clearly isn't and as you say hate isn't part of his makeup. My problem with him on this issue is that he aligns and allies himself with active anti-semites and says things in agreement with them which are passive anti-semitism.

He doesn't hate Jews. He has a profound suspicion of western imperialists. Of Bankers. Of the oppressor against the vulnerable. The Palestine Solidarity campaign is full of people who are screaming anti-semites wanting to push Israel into the sea. He doesn't say that himself but seems perfectly happy associating with people who do.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

His support for the East End mural showing hook-nosed Jewish bankers oppressing black people had nothing to do with the Israel-Palestine issue.
    Unless you are well-versed in antisemitic tropes, you might not recognise the mural as one, or at least I didn't. Nor apparently did Corbyn's enemies who took until this year to complain about a mural removed in 2012.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

SNIPPED

I think all this is a huge oppportunity cost for Labour and our ratings will decline further until we stop giving the issue oxygen by constantly trying to resolve it - and I think that's why some, though not all, of the critics want to prolong it.

Are you saying that Labour should stop trying to resolve the allegations of anti-semitism made against some of its members, that it should stop trying to resolve the concerns the Jewish community has, that it should now simply ignore this issue?
  • Options

In 40 years of acquaintance, I've never heard Corbyn express hatred for anyone at all.

Not even Tories? That beggars belief.....
  • Options
    Excellent piece, Rochdale. Thank you.

On the Corbyn a/s row, I'm coming increasingly to the view that the problem is not that he may or may not be anti-semitic. Personally I doubt it though I understand why some would say otherwise. The problem is that Labour is not taking the position it should.

Labour should be a stridently anti-semitic Party. It should challenge it, just as it has challenged racism, apartheid, mysogeny and the like.

Its failure to take a challenging position on this matter appears to be a failure of leadership rather than a reflection of where the Party stands, or ought to.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

They were just as bad under anti semite Ed Miliband, in fact I've seen things to suggest worse.

Of course neither Ed nor Jeremy are anti semites, merely opposed to the occupation of Palestinians.
    Jeremy’s anti-Zionism has led him to consort with anti-Semites and excuse or turn a blind eye to anti-Semitism.

We will never know if Jeremy is an anti-Semite himself (we cannot read his heart).
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

Their religion and ethnicity was intrinsic to the comment. You could not read the remark as making sense in relation to, say, Tony Blair (a Zionist).
    Context is all, yes. There was a cartoonist who normally depicted George W Bush as a monkey, which was fair enough for political satire. If he had done the same thing for Obama then there would have been fully justified outrage: it would have been racist even though it would have been addressed at one individual.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Not only an English leader but an English Labour leader who is as extreme as anyone has seen.

The SNP are not going to lose much sleep over labour and overall I doubt it will shift many votes
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

Not a red herring. The problem is history. Corbyn and others have made comments which breach the IHRA examples, particularly with Nazi analogies. These used to be commonplace and were not considered antisemitic but now, under the IHRA definition, they are. That is the problem: if Labour adopts all the examples then Corbyn and others are immediately guilty because of what they said in the past, often long before the IHRA definition which dates only from 2016. Compare that with the date on some of the video clips dredged up.

I might be made redundant soon so if I were to apply for head of PR at the Israeli embassy, I'd make much more of Israel being the only open democracy in the Middle East, the only country with full trades union rights, and gay rights, and one of the few with freedom of religion and rule of law. That is how to persuade his followers that Corbyn is wrong.
    I have said this elsewhere, in terms of its treatment of its own people (so basically ignoring its treatment of Palestinians and other neighbours) Israel must rank in the top tens of nations. Even with the discriminatory laws recently brought in I imagine Israel ranks above the vast majority of nations in its treatment of the least powerful (poor people, minorities etc.) It has faults in terms of domestic government actions, as do all nations but in terms of its own people the government is better than many others.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Foxy said:

Not only an English leader but an English Labour leader who is as extreme as anyone has seen.

The SNP are not going to lose much sleep over labour and overall I doubt it will shift many votes
    Actually a left-wing Labour leader May be more likely to win seats in the Central belt from the SNP than a centrist. After all Corbyn won the highest number of Scottish Labour MPs for 7 years in 2017.

Plus Leonard is a Unionist despite being left of centre. He probably still has a better chance of becoming First Minister than Davidson as although she has swept rural Scotland and much of prosperous suburbia for the Tories and win her seat in Edinburgh the SNP remain the largest party as most seats are in Glasgow and the Central belt. Only Labour can really stop the SNP there
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

STEM teachers should be paid more on average than arts and humanities teachers as they would likely earn more in the outside world on average than arts and humanities teachers would (which is also why more History, English, Languages and Geography graduates become teachers than Maths, Physics, Chemistry and IT graduates)
    That does not really follow but in any case, is it always true? Especially when physics graduates joining banks, and the like, are ruled out? I'm not sure "the market" values science and engineering as much as we might hope.
  • Options

Excellent piece, Rochdale. Thank you.

On the Corbyn a/s row, I'm coming increasingly to the view that the problem is not that he may or may not be anti-semitic. Personally I doubt it though I understand why some would say otherwise. The problem is that Labour is not taking the position it should.

Labour should be a stridently anti-semitic Party. It should challenge it, just as it has challenged racism, apartheid, mysogeny and the like.

Its failure to take a challenging position on this matter appears to be a failure of leadership rather than a reflection of where the Party stands, or ought to.

I agree with that. But the question is why the leadership has failed to challenge this position. IMV that's because the leadership think anti-Semitism is different from racism, misogony et al. And in fact, that anti-Semtiism is excusable.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

We have had a few PhDs (and even the odd DPhil) on the staff at the state school I teach at. We even had an American ex-professor who had to be restrained from teaching quantum mechanics to Year 8. I haven’t yet met someone with a doctorate in Maths who wasn’t seriously loopy, though I know it’s a small sample size. That said, two of the finest teachers I ever knew were both Drs, as was my own Physics teacher when I was at school.
    The best one I have come across was my brother at a State School in Dundee. They got a new physics teacher who explained that they were his very first class. The reason being that he had spent the previous 20 years as a top propulsion scientist at NASA. Instead of messing about with ticker tape and trollies like I did they spent the year firing rockets from the school playground. To say the kids were fully engaged would be the understatement of the year.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited August 2018

First. Thanks for this, RP.

"Jeremy Corbyn will retire, and a sizeable chunk of the membership will leave when he goes. When he does the party can change shape, organisation, message. Nothing that has been done – despite shrieking headlines of takeovers at local and NEC levels – cannot be undone."

The heinous attacks by so-called 'Labour' supporters against other Labour MPs are a classic example. Their moderate views are no longer wanted within the party.

And it's about more than rules and procedures - the only way back inside Labour is by support of the members. So how whatever is done, is done, matters hugely. If Corbyn dies peacefully and is succeeded by someone who carefully and skilfully tacks the party back toward the centre, then just perhaps. If Corbyn is seen to have been undermined or driven to his exit, those members are unlikely to say "jolly good job, there" and reward the responsible "moderates" with a return to power. They have no credible leadership, anyhow, as is mentioned downthread.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

When I were a lad, being prepared to teach Physics, Chemistry or Maths exempted a Science graduate from National Service. In the mid to late 50’s anyway. No teaching qualification needed, either.
    I knew a Pharmacy graduate who spent (I think) three years teaching post Uni. Left after the end of National Service and went back to pharmacy.
  • Options

Foxy said:

If just 5,000 voters stay at home in the right/wrong (delete according to political view) places, Labour could pick up 10 seats. That's just Labour. 5,000 more in some different places hands six more to the Tories/Liberal Democrats. That's very nearly half the SNP's seats gone.

I'm not saying this will happen, just that for a number of reasons this is a scandal that could have unusually wide political repercussions, whatever the actual outcome.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Hoping this will just go away is rather naive to be honest.

Corbyn now has many enemies both within his party and outside and this will follow labour all the way to the next election (as long as he is leader)
  • Options

Ed Miliband was not a raving, ranting anti-Semite. Jeremy Corbyn is.

Under Ed Miliband, the anti-Semites in Labour had a quieter voice. Under Corbyn, they're screaming. And worse, honourable Labour members are excusing anti-Semitism because it's by *their* team.
  • Options

as contrasted with all the happy bunnies in the Tory Party?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

Unless you are well-versed in antisemitic tropes, you might not recognise the mural as one, or at least I didn't. Nor apparently did Corbyn's enemies who took until this year to complain about a mural removed in 2012.
    Come off it. Anyone who watched the first 15 minutes of the World at War episode on the Holocaust would have recognised the image as anti-semitic, anyone who even had a passing acquaintance with 20th century history would recognise this, let alone someone who claims that he has fought against racism all his life and who uses his mother fighting against Mosley at Cable Street as part of his defence.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

First they should work on their spelling?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Actually a left-wing Labour leader May....
    She might be looking for a job soon, but that is something of a stretch!!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Mr. HYUFD, just another excuse. If a Boris or Mogg-type became Con leader and the polls shifted to Labour, said 'moderates' would then say they couldn't risk leaving Labour and splitting their vote because it might let the Evil Tories win. If a Boris or Mogg-type became Con leader and the polls moved to the blues, said 'moderates' would claim they should stay and that after inevitable defeat Corbyn et al. would resign.

The end point, staying with Labour, is known. The rationalisation is all that changes.

Some will but the prospect of deselections would focus the minds of other Labour MPs plus if Boris or Mogg led the Tories Tory MPs like Soubry, Grieve, Wollaston etc may be willing to defect to a new centrist party too
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Yes. Like anti-Semitism.

Context is all, yes. There was a cartoonist who normally depicted George W Bush as a monkey, which was fair enough for political satire. If he had done the same thing for Obama then there would have been fully justified outrage: it would have been racist even though it would have been addressed at one individual.
    Slightly off topic, I always thought Bruno Mars was very brave to acknowledge in the video to the Lazy Song that he looks a bit chimp-like.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited August 2018
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

There is one subject even harder to recruit qualified graduates for: computing. I’m not sure I’ve ever met an IT teacher with a degree in the subject. One school I know the first computing teacher they employed was a classics graduate.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Retire. Again, getting on a bit, and the membership has a very energetic and growing youthful element. We are selecting a lot of younger candidates. And if they want to stay thats fine as well - I do not want an exodus of members. Most of the people who joined the party under Jeremy do literally nothing. Ask most CLPs what change there has been in active member counts and they will tell you "very little".

The other scenario is of course that the cult implodes. A paranoid leadership cult seeing plots and enemies everywhere, making absurd defensive positions to defend Him (such as backing Willsman) will inevitably eat itself. Momentum dropped Willsman from the #JC9 and was accused of betraying the leader and the membership. Lansman has been moving to get the IHRA definition adopted in full, and people on Facebook are denouncing him, asking how they get him kicked out of Momentum. That he owns Momentum in the very literal sense has passed them by, such as the "People's Momentum" spin been a success.
    The trouble with Momentum and the new members is ... a complete red herring. The real problem is the readmission of all the old trots that Neil Kinnock slung out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Some will but the prospect of deselections would focus the minds of other Labour MPs plus if Boris or Mogg led the Tories Tory MPs like Soubry, Grieve, Wollaston etc may be willing to defect to a new centrist party too
    IIRC Wollaston only joined the Tories after she was selected as a candidate in an open primary.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Richard Leonard may have been born and raised in Yorkshire but he attended the University of Stirling and has lived and worked in Scotland ever since
    The only people to express concern about Leonard's 'Englishness' were anonymous SLab sources. Otoh folk across the board have suggested he might be a bit crap. To be fair to him this does not make him exceptional in the current SLab line up.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited August 2018

Centrists looking for a new party would do better looking for a famous person not previously in politics who would attract attention and build a party round him or her. Someone like Gary Lineker, perhaps.

Maybe we should do a thread on the non-parliamentary runners and riders.

If we're stuck with parochial local politicians and we can't have Emmanuel Macron, beloved sun-king of r/neoliberal, I'd like to nominate the Olympus ex-CEO and whistleblower, Michael Woodford.
  • Options

Not even Tories? That beggars belief.....
    Absolutely. I've heard him say pleasant things about Tory leaders and bitter Labour critics and he acknowledges Tony Blair's strengths and appeal. We've had two years of the media digging up everything they can about him, but they've yet to produce a single person who says that Corbyn has ever made a hateful or vicious remark about anyone. He just doesn't, and it's one reason I'm so loyal to him. (I try to maintain the same policy on PB, though I slip into sarcasm occasionally.)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The trouble with Momentum and the new members is ... a complete red herring. The real problem is the readmission of all the old trots that Neil Kinnock slung out.
    They must be very old trots by now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

First they should work on their spelling?
    Which word this time? I can’t see it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

as contrasted with all the happy bunnies in the Tory Party?
    The Tories are trying to find a way to implement the biggest democratic decision the voters have ever taken.

Whilst Labour are picking at the scabs of their own self-harming.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Just like to thank you for your piece and can understand your reasoning.

In my opinion the only way the boil can be lanced is for 100 or more labour mps to resign the whip and form their own group within the HOC.

However, I think this is very unlikely so soldiering on may become the only choice but the long term damage to the labour brand is likely to be immense
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Hmm ..... at the risk of being controversial, given the lamentable knowledge of history shown by many in public life, we should be paying history teachers more.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

SNIPPED

I think all this is a huge oppportunity cost for Labour and our ratings will decline further until we stop giving the issue oxygen by constantly trying to resolve it - and I think that's why some, though not all, of the critics want to prolong it.

Are you saying that Labour should stop trying to resolve the allegations of anti-semitism made against some of its members, that it should stop trying to resolve the concerns the Jewish community has, that it should now simply ignore this issue?
    One suspects yes, because that's what the leadership thinks. Loyalists are loyal and transfer their support to the then current leadership come hell or high water. Plus, and one wouldn't want to tar specific individuals with this, a base calculation about seats and voting numbers between competing religious minorities.
  • Options
    The anti-semitism problem is a cult problem. Its not about antisemitism at all any more - the people desperately defending don't even know what is and isn't anti-semitic. But they do know that its a PLOT dreamed up by BLAIRITES to derail the TWICE-ELECTED leader. And when I say they know, I mean that Facebook has told them.

So we can't adopt the IHRA definition and clamp down on anti-semites. Because the Red Tories want it adopting, and many of the people who have transgressed want #JC4PM.
  • Options

Ed Miliband was not a raving, ranting anti-Semite. Jeremy Corbyn is.

Under Ed Miliband, the anti-Semites in Labour had a quieter voice. Under Corbyn, they're screaming. And worse, honourable Labour members are excusing anti-Semitism because it's by *their* team.
    Ed Miliband is just as much a raving ranting anti-Semite as Jeremy Corbyn is.

The anti-Semites were just as loud in Labour then, we were turning Maureen Lipman into a Tory and Harrysplace was kicking into full swing reporting on Labour anti-Semitism.

Ed Miliband just had the cover of actually being Jewish whilst opposing the occupation of Palestine but it still doesn't change his opposition to it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

There is one subject even harder to recruit qualified graduates for: computing. I’m not sure I’ve ever met an IT teacher with a degree in the subject. One school I know the first computing teacher they employed was a classics graduate.
    Until two years ago, the IT teacher at our school was a History teacher. Then we employed a specialist who lasted exactly eight weeks (until she swore at an LSW employed by Staffordshire County Council in front of a group of enthralled Year 8s). She was in any case rubbish and it was the German teacher who did most of the actual work.

I use the former as an example as an example of how awesome and versatile History teachers are. Not sure it always convinces...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

If just 5,000 voters stay at home in the right/wrong (delete according to political view) places, Labour could pick up 10 seats. That's just Labour. 5,000 more in some different places hands six more to the Tories/Liberal Democrats. That's very nearly half the SNP's seats gone.

I'm not saying this will happen, just that for a number of reasons this is a scandal that could have unusually wide political repercussions, whatever the actual outcome.
    Putting aside @SeantT's typically over the top comments yesterday evening the thing that seems odd to me about this is that if Salmond is like this then (a) there would be dozens of examples and (b) Nicola and other SNP leaders must know what he is like as they have worked with this man for more than 30 years. How many drink laden conferences have they attended together, how many times have they engaged with enthusiastic supporters etc?

It seems very odd to me that there are 2 complainants rather than dozens. In the Me Too atmosphere we live in I would have expected others to come forward. It may happen yet of course.
This discussion has been closed.