Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why you should be wary of hypothetical polling

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why you should be wary of hypothetical polling

Please indulge me as I take a minute today to complain about poll questions that ask people whether they'd be more or less likely to vote for a candidate if the candidate did X thing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    If there was a new TSE thread, would you be more likely to get a first?
  • Options
    They are particularly flawed because a large number of people don't even know who any other Tory except Boris is
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited September 2018
    Richard III

Polling on much more than basic VI on party leader satisfaction is becoming increasingly difficult, we;ve already seen from recent examples that slight wording changes in the questions can produce wildly different results.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Fourth like Boris, falling fast
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    "Trump's hypothetical support for a bill to legalize kicking puppies..."

Would be pointless, as it will clearly be ruled a constitutional right by the SC after Kavanaugh's confirmation.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Fourth like Boris, falling fast

Clear favourite on BF.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I think they are flawed because in a lot of cases you have the base vote for the party, who will vote for them whatever. Say this is 25% for Tories and Labour. Then the bit that matters is the other 50%, and what they would think. It is slightly more dynamic as well as some people leading a party may put off some of their own voters, or solidify the opposition vote against them
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Another day, another exposure of the rot that lies beneath.
    https://twitter.com/Democracy_A2/status/1036562290953338880
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Perhaps it was an anti-Semitic-anti-apartheid-movement. Perhaps they were worried the main one had been taken over by the Jews.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    fpt

London Mayor betting.

Shaun Bailey is now second favourite after Sadiq Khan at 3s (BF) and 5/2 (Laddies).

I see that Joy Morrissey (25s) has just been endorsed by Andrea Leadsome.

No idea about Andrew Boff but if Bailey gets the nomination then his odds are likely to shorten further, especially if, as seems possible from today's ES, George is gunning for Sadiq.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
  • Options

Anorak said:

Perhaps it was an anti-Semitic-anti-apartheid-movement. Perhaps they were worried the main one had been taken over by the Jews.
    Mandela was a Blairite before Blair was. That'll be the reason.
  • Options
    Donald Turnip likes well done steaks?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Mandela was a Blairite before Blair was. That'll be the reason.
    Ah yes, he was rather fond of the middle way. Jezza's followers are more from the Winnie Mandela tradition of "necklacing" anyone who disagrees with them
  • Options

It wouldn't surprise me if he also likes pineapple on his pizza
  • Options
  • Options
    These polls are telling you something, even if it isn't exactly what the formal results suggest.

It's always worth remembering that poll responses are not given under oath. Respondents are quite capable of lying or overstating their position for emphasis.

I understand that when you fill out medical questionnaires, doctors multiply your stated alcohol consumption by two and your stated cigarette consumption by five. Anything that is designed to show a poll respondent in a particular light should similarly be held with tongs and scrutinised carefully.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    He that lives by reality TV..... well lets hope so anyway (in a political sense)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

These polls are telling you something, even if it isn't exactly what the formal results suggest.

It's always worth remembering that poll responses are not given under oath. Respondents are quite capable of lying or overstating their position for emphasis.

I understand that when you fill out medical questionnaires, doctors multiply your stated alcohol consumption by two and your stated cigarette consumption by five. Anything that is designed to show a poll respondent in a particular light should similarly be held with tongs and scrutinised carefully.

I got quite a talking to by our college Nurse on matriculating; apparently being honest on the 'units of alcohol' question wasn't customary, so doubling the true figure gave her cause for concern.....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I got quite a talking to by our college Nurse on matriculating; apparently being honest on the 'units of alcohol' question wasn't customary, so doubling the true figure gave her cause for concern.....
    I thought the only possible answer was 'Sufficient, thank you'.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited September 2018

Mortimer said:

I suspect that new undergraduates, without access to the cellar, should have been the least of her concerns!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I suspect that new undergraduates, without access to the cellar, should have been the least of her concerns!
    Yeah, I have a young relative who was recently at Trinity, Cambridge, and was able to buy some of the wines which the dons didn't want, at very favourable prices. All I can say is that, if those are the wines the dons rejected, one wonders what ones they decided to keep.
  • Options
    Apparently people suspended from the Labour Party are still allowed to vote in NEC elections.

I know 'innocent until proven guilty' and all that. But surely voting is something that should only be open to full, current members?

https://twitter.com/mishtal/status/1036626046269960192
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

I used to like my steaks really well done but increasingly over the years I have become more of a pinko now preferring medium rare. What this says about my politics I am not entirely sure but its no doubt meaningful.
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, once again, cheers for posting that. Useful for my modest betting position.

Comrades, all the Commissars beloved of the Chairman have received the proletariat's seal of approval. What more could one want?
  • Options

Was it on here that someone said that doctors only began to worry if their patients drank twice as much as they did?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

What do they do with a "Don't smoke, don't drink" response?

Although mine isn't quite that - I do drink, regularly: one glass of Tio Pepe every Christmas. Or New Year's eve, if I happen to miss out at Christmas.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Although mine isn't quite that - I do drink, regularly: one glass of Tio Pepe every Christmas. Or New Year's eve, if I happen to miss out at Christmas.

Five times zero is zero. Similarly twice zero.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    FPT:
    DavidL said:

It was just such a rotten deal from our perspective that you assumed that there were compromises and understandings behind it which had got her to that position. To get there all by herself would be a remarkable achievement, even for Olly Robbins.

It doesn't look like it was agreed, the whole indivisible four freedoms is something that the UK seems to assume can be fudged, and the EU says "Never! Never! Never!" to.

We seem to have truly screwed up the negotiation, we should have started with the hard Brexit base and built on that. Instead we've been trying to have our cake and eat it, and assumed that the EU would give ground, and I expect they assumed we'd realise they can't or won't.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Even if responses are given under oath, people are quite capable of lying or overstating.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    glw said:

we should have started with the hard Brexit base and built on that.

Nissan would have upped sticks and the Government would have fallen.

Apart from that, great plan
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

we should have started with the hard Brexit base and built on that.

Nissan would have upped sticks and the Government would have fallen.

Apart from that, great plan
    If we crash out both of those things are probable, and we seem to be heading to that by default because of lousy preparation and negotiation on the part of the government.
  • Options
    glw said:

We seem to have truly screwed up the negotiation, we should have started with the hard Brexit base and built on that. Instead we've been trying to have our cake and eat it, and assumed that the EU would give ground, and I expect they assumed we'd realise they can't or won't.

We did start from a hard Brexit base. That's what the Lancaster House speech was all about. The problem was that it was a transparent bluff.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

Mathematically correct, but the important difference there is the change from disbelief of the patient's self-reporting to belief in it. I wonder why that is?
  • Options
    Mr. glw, which is why a second vote is still plausible. May's dithering and capitulation has put us in a poor position. There may not be the votes for any deal.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Hold the patient with tongs, and scrutinise them with exceeding caution.
  • Options

glw said:

We did start from a hard Brexit base. That's what the Lancaster House speech was all about. The problem was that it was a transparent bluff.
    It should not have been a bluff. Start from that point and build on it in areas where we can agree with the EU. Instead we still seem to be asking the EU for things they asbolutely refuse to accept. Maybe the EU negotiators are bluffing, but if they are not we are in a real mess.
  • Options

Mr. glw, which is why a second vote is still plausible. May's dithering and capitulation has put us in a poor position. There may not be the votes for any deal.

We seem to be in a bloody brilliant position where we can neither leave or stay in the EU. :)
  • Options
    Labour NEC results

RESULTS (9 to elect)
    DAR, Yasmine 88,176 ELECTED
    WEBBE, Claudia 83,797 ELECTED
    LANSMAN, Jon 83,072 ELECTED
    GARNHAM, Rachel 81,702 ELECTED
    ELMI, Huda 80,371 ELECTED
    WILLIAMS, Darren 79,361 ELECTED
    HENDERSON, Ann 79,176 ELECTED
    MISHRA, Navendu 75,224 ELECTED
    WILLSMAN, Peter 70,321 ELECTED
    IZZARD, Eddie 67,819
    BAXTER, Johanna 50,185
    SINGH JOSAN, Gurinder 48,643
    BLACK, Ann 45,566
    BECKETT, Jasmin 43,955
    PETO, Heather 43,774
    AKEHURST, Luke 43,156
    CAZIMOGLU, Eda 40,807
    WIMBURY, Mary 40,507
    BANES, Lisa 37,993
    MASTERS, Marianna 35,061
    FLETCHER, Jonathan 15,303
    GUY, Stephen 14,985
    MORRISON, Nicola 10,671
    CRAIGIE, James 10,326
    SPEDDING, Gary 9,854
    STANNERS, Stephen 8,909
  • Options
    glw said:

We seem to be in a bloody brilliant position where we can neither leave or stay in the EU. :)
    :smile:
  • Options
    glw said:

If we crash out both of those things are probable, and we seem to be heading to that by default

Some people pointed this out before the vote.

It was labelled "Project Fear" and ridiculed as "experts" by Gove.
  • Options
    glw said:

glw said:

It should not have been a bluff. Start from that point and build on it in areas where we can agree with the EU. Instead we still seem to be asking the EU for things they asbolutely refuse to accept. Maybe the EU negotiators are bluffing, but if they are not we are in a real mess.
    It was necessarily a bluff because the reality of our trade relationships as well as the political situation in Northern Ireland meant that starting from WTO terms was never a credible option and the EU knew it.
  • Options
    glw said:

How does that work?

Negotiation, Day 1: "We don't need any of your crap. Now what will you give us?"

Can't see any problem with that...
  • Options
    Mr. glw, the Romans had a saying: holding a wolf by the ears. You can't hold on, and you can't let go.

But thinks will be resolved, one way or the other.
  • Options

It was necessarily a bluff because the reality of our trade relationships as well as the political situation in Northern Ireland meant that starting from WTO terms was never a credible option and the EU knew it.

And yet it seems to be where we are headed. As taking Barnier at his word Chequers appears to be dead.
  • Options

Mr. glw, the Romans had a saying: holding a wolf by the ears. You can't hold on, and you can't let go.

That's brilliant.

But thinks will be resolved, one way or the other.

I hope so, but I don't see any signs of the EU negotiators being willing to compromise on the fundamentals of the single market.
  • Options
    glw said:

And yet it seems to be where we are headed. As taking Barnier at his word Chequers appears to be dead.
    Chequers is irrelevant to the Withdrawal Agreement.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

How does that work?

Negotiation, Day 1: "We don't need any of your crap. Now what will you give us?"

Can't see any problem with that...
    It's better than spending two years asking to have our cake and eat it too.
  • Options
    glw said:

It's better than spending two years asking to have our cake and eat it too.

But that was "the will of the people".

Easiest deal in history. They need us. German car makers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They all seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the Jews. This is the google page for Luke Akehurst. Out of three tweets, one of them is about guess what...

https://google.co.uk/search?q=luke+akehurst&oq=luke+akeh&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.2430j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    edited September 2018

Apparently people suspended from the Labour Party are still allowed to vote in NEC elections.

I know 'innocent until proven guilty' and all that. But surely voting is something that should only be open to full, current members?

https://twitter.com/mishtal/status/1036626046269960192

Says Racist blogger David Collier
  • Options
    Poor Eddie Izzard......
  • Options
    It looks as though around 400,000 of the 540,000 claimed Labour members didn't bother to vote. Am I reading this correctly?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Very true. A lot will depend on how the arm-twisting works when a deal that no-one is passionate about comes to a vote. The message to Boris, Nadine Dorries, JRM etc. needs to be "if you don't vote for this, you don't get any Brexit at all." and to the likes of Anna Soubry and Justine Greening "if you don't vote for this we crash out without a deal" The only way I can see her getting anything through parliament is if both believe her. How on earth does she manage that?
  • Options
    likely.

In the past there have been sub 20% turnouts for NEC elections

It looks as though around 400,000 of the 540,000 claimed Labour members didn't bother to vote. Am I reading this correctly?

• Options
    The minority of Labour members who could be bothered to.vote have confirmed that antisemitism is ok by them.

Congratulations
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yes and it is clear to any Labour voter that they are voting for a racist party. Hopefully a temporary split is now becoming increasingly likely until the Anti-Semite-Scumbag-In-Chief is removed from office.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes and it is clear to any Labour voter that they are voting for a racist party. Hopefully a temporary split is now becoming increasingly likely until the Anti-Semite-Scumbag-In-Chief is removed from office.
    Obviously this does not apply to Conservative voters because ... reasons.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    They all seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the Jews. This is the google page for Luke Akehurst. Out of three tweets, one of them is about guess what...

https://google.co.uk/search?q=luke+akehurst&oq=luke+akeh&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.2430j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Well Luke has tweeted some more since then but it looks like the tweet you mention is a retweet of Wes Streeting MP deploring antisemitic attacks.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Democracy mate thats what you can say.

Its FAKE NEWS that Willsman is an Anti Semite BTW
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,591

AnneJGP said:

Surely inebriation is the only thing that keeps Britain coping with Brexit?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Maybe he isn't, but he seems pretty bad at spotting it if he can sit on a disciplinary committee and never see any.
  • Options

likely.

Thanks - and welcome back!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Because the leaders of the Conservative Party, the LibDems, the Greens and even The Monster Raving Loony Party have not been recorded expressing openly racist views. I personally would never vote for a party that had a leader that I strongly suspected held offensive racist views.

Are you happy supporting an anti-Semite bigot?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2018
    Those elected today will take the seats after Conference.

Obviously the incumbents will be sit also in tomorrow's NEC along with Izzard
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Maybe he isn't, but he seems pretty bad at spotting it if he can sit on a disciplinary committee and never see any.
    Almost by definition the members of the disciplinary committee are going to see racists, sexists, homophobes and xenophobes. Any voluntary or membership organisation comes across undesirables, it's the nature of the beast.

What matters is how they are dealt with - do they get expelled, or do they get elected to the NEC?
  • Options
    I hope they crow so much that the decent moderate MPs that still make up a good part of the Labour party break away and set up a rival parliamentary group
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AnneJGP said:

Surely inebriation is the only thing that keeps Britain coping with Brexit?
    What happens when someone decides to be honest and say they drink 70 or 80 units a week?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Because the leaders of the Conservative Party, the LibDems, the Greens and even The Monster Raving Loony Party have not been recorded expressing openly racist views. I personally would never vote for a party that had a leader that I strongly suspected held offensive racist views.

I am not supporting Corbyn, though I do not necessarily agree with your characterisation of him in what looks like push-polling. I have long pointed out Boris is vulnerable to similar attacks and therefore should be opposed in the next PM betting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Some of them will be post-truthers, who really believe the mainstream news is a pack of lies and all made up by Blair supporters.

• Options
    Does "returning power to the party membership" include allowing them to vote on Brexit policy?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I am not supporting Corbyn, though I do not necessarily agree with your characterisation of him in what looks like push-polling. I have long pointed out Boris is vulnerable to similar attacks and therefore should be opposed in the next PM betting.
    I agree about Boris, he has equally unpleasant views, and his use of language betrays those views, as does Corbyn.

At the moment though, Boris is not leader of the Conservatives, and while the Conservatives have problems with UKIP entryists, (who are probably racist), it has nothing like the problem that Labour has with Anti-Semitism from Momentum. As I am still a member of the Conservative Party I will do all I can do to ensure that Boris does not become leader. If it does I suspect there will be a number of Tory MPs resigning the Whip
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Well Luke has tweeted some more since then but it looks like the tweet you mention is a retweet of Wes Streeting MP deploring antisemitic attacks.
    https://twitter.com/lukeakehurst/status/1036605639685025794?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • Options

I hope they crow so much that the decent moderate MPs that still make up a good part of the Labour party break away and set up a rival parliamentary group
    Is that all you got left.

Sad really
  • Options
    Remember when marathon became snickers, well the Labour party has become the maomentum party, now with added anti-Semitism.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I have long pointed out Boris is vulnerable to similar attacks and therefore should be opposed in the next PM betting.
    Amen to that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

"Is that all you got left.

Sad really"
    Right there - Labour's epitaph.

• Options
    Your not in the party Dan

You voted against Lab. at GE 2017

Its nothing to do with you
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

Only Labour members matter?
    What about potential Labour voters?
  • Options

Is that all you got left.

Sad really
    That post has all the vacuousness that I would expect of a Corbyn apologist.

What is "sad" is that a once great party ( I am not a supporter but can recognise them as such) has been taken over by a bunch of fruitcakes who idolise a man who is clearly not just not very bright but who also shows the ultimate in human stupidity; racist prejudice.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Remember when marathon became snickers, well the Labour party has become the maomentum party, now with added anti-Semitism.

Dear FU
    I remember when Lab (Tory Lite War Mongering Party) polled 8.6m votes in 2010

and I remember when Lab (for the many not the few) polled 12.8m in 2017

Yet you appear to think a return to Rascist Anti Arab Tory Lite war mongering party is the way forward.

Fortunately your FAKE NEWS cannot stop the fact that Change that is coming

Love BJO
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

likely.

Well, it's not as if there was anything at much stake....other than the soul of the Labour Party.
  • Options

Only Labour members matter?
    What about potential Labour voters?
    12.9M in 2017 an increase of 4.2mM on 2010

DH went the opposite way

DH is irrelevant
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Isnt the the snickers rebrand a bit of a legend in marketing circles though? It propelled it to the top chocolate bar increasing sales.
  • Options
    I'm seeing adverts for The Blue Wave.

Launching soon.

Tory Momentum?
This discussion has been closed.