Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May v Corbyn: Who’ll go first?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » May v Corbyn: Who’ll go first?

Paddy Power’s market on who will cease to be leader first, Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn is an intriguing one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    First, like the first out whoever it will be.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Nigelb said:

Thanks for the prompt response.
    I do wonder if your response is a little too sanguine. I quite take the point about borrowing naturally increasing as the industry grows, but what I’m not clear at all on is how much room there is to accommodate any significant rise in interest rates, or tightening of credit.... your “probably yes” isn’t entirely reassuring.
    An oil price spike is just as much an economic risk as a round of industry failure, of course.

It's important to understand that there are at least three types of credit instruments:

- something like credit card debt that is essentially unbacked. When a borrower fails to repay, you are looking at very large write downs.

- something like a mortgage, where there is no income stream associated with it, but there is an asset that can be sold. When a borrower fails to pay, there is usually pretty good recovery.

- something backed by actual dollar revenue - like an oil well. If - say - Pioneer Natural Resources fails to repay because of some combination of (a) lower than expected oil prices, and (b) lower than expected production in year two or three, then the bank will simply assume ownership of the wells. They may not be repaid 100% of their money, but as they will have haircut the expected cashflows from the well, their recovery will be pretty good. Furthermore, while oil prices correlate, different areas recovery rates do not. So, while there might be a problem with (say) Bakken wells cash flows, that is unlikely to affect Permian.

I'd also note that a most of reserves based lending is now being done by non-bank entities - i.e. funds. If there are losses, it will be embarassing for the manager of the Cayenne Energy Fund, who'll see his fund drop 10-15% in a year (and for his customers), but it wont be systematically dangerous.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    As much as it’s difficult to describe 1/3 as value, Corbyn’s going precisely nowhere. All those who say he’s racist will be those who leave Labour, the Cult are well and truly entrenched following the NEC election.

Mrs May, on the other hand, has a horrible six months coming up of trying to steer a path for Brexit through the negotiating crunch. If the Tories in Parliament can unify behind another potential leader who isn’t Boris Johnson, then she could be gone very quickly.
  • Options
    Interesting thread - both have repeatedly defied their critics “gone by Conference” was written frequently on here last year of Mrs May. Then it was “gone by December when BREXIT round 1 fails” and so on. Corbyn is a different case - Magic Grandpa has a cult like following (not something that would ever be said of Mrs May) and I am sure John McDonald is well aware of this and it may not transfer to him - which may stay his hand.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited September 2018
    A tough one. May, I think. Her job is more precarious and Corbyn at least has the adoration of a good swathe of his members.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Have to disagree with TSE... An open ended bet with unexciting odds.
    The bet I like is Brexit to happen before May goes. Better than evens, which given the way betfair defines Brexit, seems very likely to me.
  • Options
    OT, RIP Jacqueline Pearce. Who among us of a certain age can forget Servalan?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited September 2018
    May.

Magic Grandpa is performing his tricks with all the dexterity of Tommy Cooper, but with none of the laughs. But he needs another election defeat before the likes of BJO will crawl out of Corbyn's magic circle......
  • Options

May.

Magic Grandpa is performing his tricks with all the dexterity of Tommy Cooper, but with none of the laughs. But he needs another election defeat before the likes of BJO will crawl out of Corbyn's magic circle......

Trouble is that they both need another election defeat.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,337
    May is more likely to go first, but Corbyn is the better bet due to the long odds. Both are opposed by many of their MPs, but that opposition is far more visceral and moral on the Labour benches than on the Conservative ones. If she can come up with a half acceptable fudge on Brexit, even malcontents will look at the likes of Bridgen and Boris and turn away in horror. The memberships keep both in place - for opposite reasons. Corbyn, for the obvious one that it would be a suicide mission. May, because no half decent Tory wants to take the risk of replicating Labour's problems and turning their party over to fanatics.

Corbyn, however has no real opportunity to redeem himself. He is what he is. His anti-Semitic and conspiracist sympathies won't disappear, nor will he recant of them. He can't do a Brexit deal because he's not in government and an awful lot of his voters would see it as a betrayal. So a split and fracturing is much more likely than the Tories - something which actually could precipitate him standing down given that it would be obvious, even to him, that it would be the only way of healing things.

Plus, I think he's more likely to 'lose' the next election (i.e. not win) and even if defaeat placed at the door of nefarious Blairites, then it might be the moment his faction is so hegemonic, he feels he can go.
  • Options
    We have not reached a tipping point with Corbyn.

He will stay as long as he likes.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

May.

One lost majority is the only shot you get with the Tories though....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

May.

You know that and I know that.....but does Mrs May know that?

You don't get to be PM without colossal amounts of self belief.....
  • Options

And now he has complete control of the party, that might not be very long. He’s not Stalin and he’s not personally interested in power. I find it easy to imagine him retreating to guru status, letting someone else act as party leader.
  • Options

And now he has complete control of the party, that might not be very long. He’s not Stalin and he’s not personally interested in power. I find it easy to imagine him retreating to guru status, letting someone else act as party leader.
    I hear this a lot, but it is an imagination.

I don’t see any evidence for it.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

May.

Yet we sense she is up for giving it a good second go?
  • Options
    A LibDem Freedom of Information request reveals that, as of June 2018, 357 staff have left the Brexit department in the last two years - which is pretty incredible given that they only employ at maximum 665 people. The instability and churn can't be helping attempts to get our act together, such as they are.
  • Options

Extraordinary, isn't it? We get his personal anti-semite slant supported by somebody elected onto the NEC by the membership - yet we still haven't reached a tipping point.

Viewed from 5 years back, or 5 years forward, that is quite remarkable. The Labour brand, totally Ratnered.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

May.

Yet we sense she is up for giving it a good second go?
    Matters not. The MPs won't allow it.
  • Options

He’s 70 next year. He’s not immortal and he needs an exit strategy at some point. He spent 30 years as an obscure derided backbencher, doing nothing to climb the greasy pole. When he reached the top job, he was as surprised as anyone.

How do you think he’s going to go?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Dislike this market. The timing is indeterminate and could be years. Odds not long enough to warrant placing a bet, for me, anyway.
  • Options
    Watching BBC. Is Katy Balls related to Ed?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    IanB2 said:

A LibDem Freedom of Information request reveals that, as of June 2018, 357 staff have left the Brexit department in the last two years - which is pretty incredible given that they only employ at maximum 665 people. The instability and churn can't be helping attempts to get our act together, such as they are.

That's 25% turnover per annum, which - while high - also reflects that a lot of staff were only there on secondment.
  • Options

Watching BBC. Is Katy Balls related to Ed?

I thought his sister was Ophelia?
  • Options

He’s 70 next year. He’s not immortal and he needs an exit strategy at some point. He spent 30 years as an obscure derided backbencher, doing nothing to climb the greasy pole. When he reached the top job, he was as surprised as anyone.

How do you think he’s going to go?
    He could fight the next election and spend 3-4 years as PM. He’d be 76-77. Not impossible. Politics is his life.

FWIW I have bet on him making an exit in 2020 and 2021, as I thought the odds were value, but that’s far from a certainty. And I certainly don’t think his departure is imminent.
  • Options
    The thing is with Corbyn, what he has personally said and done isn't really the issue. It what his "supporters" say and do. Corbyn's message is carefully honed and refined over the years. His 2013 comments about Irony are suggestive of anti-semitism without explicitly being so. Kali Ma cultists have no similar skills, not only do they say things overtly anti-semitic they do so in the fervour of worship, needing to be Harder and Louder and Angrier against His enemies.

I have read things on Facebook by members of the Labour Party which are truly disgusting. I then reported Aaron Bastani. I've considered reporting others. But whats the point? Christine Shawcroft was appointed chair of the disputes panel and covered up/ignored evidence against a member which forced her resignation screaming abuse about purges. Willsman on the panel apparently didn't see any anti-semitism. All things have to go through the Corbyn filter where "enemies" of Corbyn (like Jon Lansman...!) are liars who can be ignored.

Until we get another "enough is enough" scandal. Where the politicians at the top table tell Corbyn he has to do something. And then we have more "not in my name" statements but not actual action. None of this is permanent and irreversible though. They worship Him and only Him. They have no interest in policy other than what He wants. Why would they stick around after He steps down? Its not like they have any interest in being in government and all the nuances and compromises that entails.

Labour under the spell of wazzocks. Tories "led" by a zombie trading insults with a buffoon whilst the membership get infiltrated by UKIP crazies. Good times...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

That's 25% turnover per annum, which - while high - also reflects that a lot of staff were only there on secondment.
    Actually the churn rate is higher because it's from a standing start rather than business as usual. Also you would expect the secondment periods to be aligned with the work of the department, e.g. The Article 50 notice period. This doesn't seem to be happening.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Actually the churn rate is higher because it's from a standing start rather than business as usual. Also you would expect the secondment periods to be aligned with the work of the department, e.g. The Article 50 notice period. This doesn't seem to be happening.
    And there is nothing "only" about 25% turnover, anyway. And that percentage is calculated from max staffing, which took some time to achieve. The actual rate based on SIP will be higher.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

The thing is with Corbyn, what he has personally said and done isn't really the issue. It what his "supporters" say and do. Corbyn's message is carefully honed and refined over the years. His 2013 comments about Irony are suggestive of anti-semitism without explicitly being so. Kali Ma cultists have no similar skills, not only do they say things overtly anti-semitic they do so in the fervour of worship, needing to be Harder and Louder and Angrier against His enemies.

I have read things on Facebook by members of the Labour Party which are truly disgusting. I then reported Aaron Bastani. I've considered reporting others. But whats the point? Christine Shawcroft was appointed chair of the disputes panel and covered up/ignored evidence against a member which forced her resignation screaming abuse about purges. Willsman on the panel apparently didn't see any anti-semitism. All things have to go through the Corbyn filter where "enemies" of Corbyn (like Jon Lansman...!) are liars who can be ignored.

Until we get another "enough is enough" scandal. Where the politicians at the top table tell Corbyn he has to do something. And then we have more "not in my name" statements but not actual action. None of this is permanent and irreversible though. They worship Him and only Him. They have no interest in policy other than what He wants. Why would they stick around after He steps down? Its not like they have any interest in being in government and all the nuances and compromises that entails.

Labour under the spell of wazzocks. Tories "led" by a zombie trading insults with a buffoon whilst the membership get infiltrated by UKIP crazies. Good times...

And yet Hunt or May you believe is worse.

That is the disconnect keeping him in place for as long as he wants. You are keeping him in place, reporting the odd anti-Semite outlier notwithstanding.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

A fair number were conscripts from junior positions at the FCO. They started to apply for reposting immediately, and of course it is the more capable and competent that do get a better job.

May's first of many Brexit related mistakes was creating DExEU in the first place, it should have been under the FCO from the beginning, though that would have been easier if the FCO hadnt shed a lot of staff since 2010 through austerity.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    If it wasn't that Jeremy is nearly 100 I'd put your house on Mrs May going first. She has a majority of about 10 and at least 60 of her backbenchers want her out. Her Brexit choices have reduced to zero and she has the prize backstabber with a knife pointed at her shoulder blades

Jeremy has survived a rebellion by three quarters of his own MPs and has over 600,000 (and growing) supportive members. If anyone thinks the Chief Rabbi, Simon Hattenstone Guido and the Jewish Chronicle are going to force him out they're dreaming.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    It's an interesting bet. Both are deeply flawed but which will fall over first? I would go for May because (a) the Tories are generally more ruthless about their leaders (b) Corbyn's acolytes really seem to believe that they will win next time with him and (c) May has to deal with the real world where so much can go wrong as opposed to fantasy.

The problem both parties have is who on earth is next? This is starting to look more of an issue for Labour even than the Tories. Such talent as they have is on the centre left and I don't see the Corbynites allowing the party to slip back into such a position. Their elected supporters in the cult, as was pointed out by a very good thread header the other day, are all of a certain age and no more vigorous than Corbyn, less in most cases. I think Corbyn will want to hold on until someone of his ilk develops from the next generation.

The Tories have Javid, Hunt and Hammond among the sane choices. None are star quality but they are all safe(ish) pairs of hands that could do a vaguely credible job and unite the party against the Boris tendency. I don't see the equivalents in Labour except possibly Emily Thornberry but I am not sure is she is sufficiently in with the cult.

My reservation is that there are signs that Corbyn is becoming increasingly petulant. He really doesn't like his hoary old verities and self delusions being challenged. There is real potential for him to genuinely lose it at some point. Hmm...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    May will almost certainly now go before Corbyn. The only Brexit we are likely to get after March is a BINO Brexit in a transition period and Mogg and Boris will not accept that forever before striking.

Given Corbyn's grip on the Labour membership the only way he is likely to be removed is by losing a general election. Although there is a slim chance if he blocks Labour backing a 'People's Vote' at the Labour Party conference that could annoy enough Labour members to undermine him, that likely poses a greater threat to him than anti Semitism allegations
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Roger said:

If it wasn't that Jeremy is nearly 100 I'd put your house on Mrs May going first. She has a majority of about 10 and at least 60 of her backbenchers want her out. Her Brexit choices have reduced to zero and she has the prize backstabber with a knife pointed at her shoulder blades

Jeremy has survived a rebellion by three quarters of his own MPs and has over 600,000 (and growing) supportive members. If anyone thinks the Chief Rabbi, Simon Hattenstone Guido and the Jewish Chronicle are going to force him out they're dreaming.

Members split 60:40 Corbyn. That split was reflected in NEC vote. To claim he has the support of 600,000 is wrong.

• Options
    I've got a Blue Wave Launching soon advert at the top of the thread. Is the woman to the left Priti Patel? She looks a little different from normal in it.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082

Im afraid these kind of diatribes just show how the real cult around Labour is actually the weird little dwindling tribe of people (usually the old guard who reached their positions of minor local influence through lack of interest from anyone else) who still think the desperate failures of New Labour are something to hark back to. The cosy happy days when noone turned up to meetings except a few diehard busybodies who could divvy up the crumbs of self-importance with no challenge from the great unwashed.

90% of Corbyn supporters are just normal, everyday, frustrated Labour supporters who are ecstatic to finally, after decades, have a genuine choice, a real alternative to relentless privatisation of the public sphere, ever-yawning wealth inequality and endless foreign military adventurism at the side of appalling nations like Saudi Arabia.

These are all very popular positions nationally and aren't going away, whatever happens to Corbyn. People are excited about the first hope in ages of some of these things changing, not about Corbyn per se.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited September 2018
    What is the PB reaction to Politics Live? I'm not impressed - it seems soft soft soft, turned into a magazine programme, where the interviewees get away with murder.

But the BBC certainly know how to pick 'em: 'Anyone would do as long as they had boobs'.

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/1036689943760961540

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Members split 60:40 Corbyn. That split was reflected in NEC vote. To claim he has the support of 600,000 is wrong.

That's interesting. Are the 250,000 non Corbynites trying to get rid of him? I understood the huge increase in numbers was because of Corbyn. What persuaded the 40% non Corbynites to join?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45403862

It might just be that somebody noticed if they wait until 2019, that will be the 500th anniversary of Leonardo da Vinci's death?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    JWisemann said:

Im afraid these kind of diatribes just show how the real cult around Labour is actually the weird little dwindling tribe of people (usually the old guard who reached their positions of minor local influence through lack of interest from anyone else) who still think the desperate failures of New Labour are something to hark back to. The cosy happy days when noone turned up to meetings except a few diehard busybodies who could divvy up the crumbs of self-importance with no challenge from the great unwashed.

90% of Corbyn supporters are just normal, everyday, frustrated Labour supporters who are ecstatic to finally, after decades, have a genuine choice, a real alternative to relentless privatisation of the public sphere, ever-yawning wealth inequality and endless foreign military adventurism at the side of appalling nations like Saudi Arabia.

These are all very popular positions nationally and aren't going away, whatever happens to Corbyn. People are excited about the first hope in ages of some of these things changing, not about Corbyn per se.

Erm, you didn’t win the election.

For all that was wrong with Blairism, he is your most successful ever leader.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

May will almost certainly now go before Corbyn. The only Brexit we are likely to get after March is a BINO Brexit in a transition period and Mogg and Boris will not accept that forever before striking.

Given Corbyn's grip on the Labour membership the only way he is likely to be removed is by losing a general election. Although there is a slim chance if he blocks Labour backing a 'People's Vote' at the Labour Party conference that could annoy enough Labour members to undermine him, that likely poses a greater threat to him than anti Semitism allegations

Depends on whether the EU budge on the Irish backstop. Because their current proposal won’t pass the commons.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Are votes for people like Ann Black and Eddie Izzard being counted among the 40 on Corbyn there?

The Labour First and Progress votes could be counted as anti Corbyn to some degree.

JC 9 pro Corbyn.

Ann Black is actually a Corbyn supporter who was previously on the left slate, she will get anti Corbyn votes but pro Corbyn votes as well. Izzard has worked hard to position himself as neutral so much the same as Ann votes from both sides.

There are pro Corbyn people who didn't want to just go for the slate.

Probably a pro Corbyn, anti Corbyn and others breakdown would be more accurate.

Also we are just talking about from those that voted, Stephen Bush reckons the membership has changed from about 6 in 10 Corbyn supporters in 2016 (leadership election) to around 8 in 10 today with the churn in between. He doesn't know for sure (though he is usually fairly good) but you would suspect there had been some churn in the membership in Corbyn's favour since 2016.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Rob Burley seems to have a problem with facts. That tweet was a direct contradiction of what he said a few hours earlier.

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/1036577237796048896

Anyone have an idea which version is the honest account?

I do not see both of these staying up for very long !
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

That's interesting. Are the 250,000 non Corbynites trying to get rid of him? I understood the huge increase in numbers was because of Corbyn. What persuaded the 40% non Corbynites to join?
    The lacklustre Owen Smith got 40% of the membership vote in the 2nd Corbyn leadership election. The 60/40 split in the NEC election was on a sub 20% turnout. Momentum has a pretty solid cadre, but they are not that numerous, or even entirely cultists. NickP is in it, I believe. One thing about Trots is that they are very capable of a reverse ferret if directed to do so.

I think that he will survive though the #peoplesvote movement at conference may well be the bigger threat. It could pull some of his support base from under him.

The replacement could come from anywhere in the party, but my hunch is that it will not be soon and not from his closest supporters in the PLP. It is the nature of successions that the discredited outgoing leader does not get to choose their successor.
  • Options
    "Say Mrs May delivers a successful Brexit with little downsides to the country"

About as likely as Mike, myself and Mr Meeks entering a long hair competition
  • Options
    MattW said:

Rob Burley seems to have a problem with facts. That tweet was a direct contradiction of what he said a few hours earlier.

The 2nd one is clearly a joke.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Mortimer said:

JWisemann said:

He smashed a Tory majority two years into a government with the biggest increase in vote for many decades, permanently destroying the credibility of his corrupt and craven cabal of opponents in the PLP too. The fact that it has taken them this long to crawl back (with the collaboration of the hard-right media as usual) into some weak attempt at another failing coup shows how hard that result struck them.

He critically wounded the enemy without and the enemy within, and if he does 1/10 as well at increasing the vote next time, the Tories will be out of government.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Wasn't the second one meant to be deeply ironic? That's how I read it anyway....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I've got a Blue Wave Launching soon advert at the top of the thread. Is the woman to the left Priti Patel? She looks a little different from normal in it.

I am getting it too. The advertising algorithm does it again at getting my politics spot on.

Chequers is dead.

six months to go and still the fire of the Tories is aimed at each other.
  • Options
    @Topping - yup. On policy I take Labour any day of the week. And twice on a Sunday.

@JWisemann - I have no problem with "ordinary" Corbyn supporters enthused by our policies. I think our 2017 manifesto was our finest in years and we still aren't offering genuine solutions for the structural issues in the economy that the Tories try and pretend don't exist. I don't want a change in direction. I don't even demand a change in leader. Its the cult surrounding him thats the problem.

Ian Kershaw's Hitler Biography highlights fervent Nazis inspired by the Fuhrer creating all kinds of horrendous policies and actions not ordered by Hitler - "working towards the Fuhrer" they called it. THAT is what is happening in the Labour Party - twats like Bastani trying to replace the BBC (they have a #wearehismedia tag...) souting lies and anti-semitic abuse. Corbyn hasn't asked him to. Corbyn has said people like him don't speak in his name. Yet they still do.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, could be worse. At least they're not attacking the Jews.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

A fair number were conscripts from junior positions at the FCO. They started to apply for reposting immediately, and of course it is the more capable and competent that do get a better job.

May's first of many Brexit related mistakes was creating DExEU in the first place, it should have been under the FCO from the beginning, though that would have been easier if the FCO hadnt shed a lot of staff since 2010 through austerity.
    Why Mrs M didn't just leave Brexit with the FCO can safely be left as an exercise for the reader...

Even HY can probably work that one out.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I am getting it too. The advertising algorithm does it again at getting my politics spot on.

Chequers is dead.

I take it you've joined up already @Foxy.

It is depressing that there is still no coherent position about what we actually want out of this. It just might have been a plan to work that out before serving the Article 50 notice. But hey, hindsight huh?
  • Options
    Confident advertising by Nike. Lose some American conservative customers v loads of publicity. In advertising that's a no contest....

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/03/news/companies/colin-kaepernick-nike-just-do-it/index.html
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Why Mrs M didn't just leave Brexit with the FCO can safely be left as an exercise for the reader...
    The FCO’s only major policy since the war had just failed.

That’s why.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    I don’t think Corbyn is under threat from his membership. Where the threat to Labour comes is if they lose again at a GE or if something is uncovered about Corbyn which links him, indirectly (eg through someone he knows) to some terror incident now not something from the past (unless it is something really grotesque like a film of him saying “Let’s kill all the Jews”).

And, for the record, I don’t think either of these is likely though the former would be what would worry me as a Labour strategist. But the past stuff, while appalling (IMO) will only reinforce what people already believe about him, whether for good or ill, and will be unlikely to trigger any action. The law of diminishing returns has set in. Non-Corbynite MPs have had plenty of opportunity to act but have not done so because they do not know what they are for and lack courage.

Labout has turned into a mixture of Respect and the SWP. That will attract some and repel others but may nonetheless be more electorally popular than we might have imagined a few years ago.

• Options
    JWisemann said:

Mortimer said:

JWisemann said:

He smashed a Tory majority two years into a government with the biggest increase in vote for many decades, permanently destroying the credibility of his corrupt and craven cabal of opponents in the PLP too. The fact that it has taken them this long to crawl back (with the collaboration of the hard-right media as usual) into some weak attempt at another failing coup shows how hard that result struck them.

He critically wounded the enemy without and the enemy within, and if he does 1/10 as well at increasing the vote next time, the Tories will be out of government.
    And at the same time motivated more Tory voters than ever.

Why are the hard left always talking about the enemy within?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I have the same advert too. Yes, it's the lovely Priti
  • Options
    Mr. L, should've been part of the campaign. But both sides decided that being realistic was unfashionable and preferred complacency and exaggerations instead.

It remains shocking just how poor the campaigns were.

Mr. Mortimer, religious types often hate heretics more than heathens. As the Eastern Romans once said: better the Sultan's turban than the cardinal's hat.
  • Options

MattW said:

Wasn't the second one meant to be deeply ironic? That's how I read it anyway....
    No idea. The old Twitter rule .. if it needs to be explained, you missed the target.
  • Options
    I’m afraid my anecdata agrees with the Chequers is unpopular with our voters and will lead to us losing votes line.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

@Topping - yup. On policy I take Labour any day of the week. And twice on a Sunday.

@JWisemann - I have no problem with "ordinary" Corbyn supporters enthused by our policies. I think our 2017 manifesto was our finest in years and we still aren't offering genuine solutions for the structural issues in the economy that the Tories try and pretend don't exist. I don't want a change in direction. I don't even demand a change in leader. Its the cult surrounding him thats the problem.

Ian Kershaw's Hitler Biography highlights fervent Nazis inspired by the Fuhrer creating all kinds of horrendous policies and actions not ordered by Hitler - "working towards the Fuhrer" they called it. THAT is what is happening in the Labour Party - twats like Bastani trying to replace the BBC (they have a #wearehismedia tag...) souting lies and anti-semitic abuse. Corbyn hasn't asked him to. Corbyn has said people like him don't speak in his name. Yet they still do.

You have misunderstood what Kershaw said. Hitler did not need to isssue precise orders because people understood what he wanted to achieve and competed with each other to do what would please him. The idea that it was Hitler’s underlings who were responsible for the horrors of Hitler’s regime and not Hitler himself is for the birds.

If Corbyn really wanted to stop what is being done in his name, he could.

This idea that he is revered and adored and brings people into the party because of him and yet is so feeble that they ignore him when he asks them to stop doing awful things is disingenuous bollocks on stilts, really.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You have misunderstood what Kershaw said. Hitler did not need to isssue precise orders because people understood what he wanted to achieve and competed with each other to do what would please him. The idea that it was Hitler’s underlings who were responsible for the horrors of Hitler’s regime and not Hitler himself is for the birds.

This idea that he is revered and adored and brings people into the party because of him and yet is so feeble that they ignore him when he asks them to stop doing awful things is disingenuous bollocks on stilts, really.
    +1.

Working forwards the fuhrer was a direct and deliberate consequence of Hitler’s anarchic leadership style.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Mortimer said:

JWisemann said:

Corbyn doing 1/10 as well as 2017 would add 0.9% to Labour's vote share. 350,000 extra votes. Depends where they came from. Not much evidence they will come directly from the Tories. That increase might still be matched by the Tories taking the bulk of UKIP's 600,000 votes in 2017.

A 1/10 increase in seats would give Labour 3 more.....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

Confident advertising by Nike. Lose some American conservative customers v loads of publicity. In advertising that's a no contest....

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/03/news/companies/colin-kaepernick-nike-just-do-it/index.html

or it could end up lose customers with money for popularity with people who havent, its one where they need to have done their sums right
  • Options
    Salvini leading the largest party in Italy in polls, would see a hard right nationalist the main power in the Eurozone's third largest economy
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

HYUFD said:

Depends on whether the EU budge on the Irish backstop. Because their current proposal won’t pass the commons.
    They almost certainly won't, so we stay in the single market and customs union effectively next March
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Chequers is dead.

The Tories are having to act as both Government and Opposition on Brexit, arguing both sides, as Labour has absented itself from the field of battle. To thrash out just how anti-semitic it wants to be.

If you want a definition of self-indulgence....
  • Options

Roger said:

or it could end up lose customers with money for popularity with people who havent, its one where they need to have done their sums right
    That's right but Nike will have done. I heard that their sales worldwide are larger than in the US so the risk wasn't that great.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Mortimer said:

JWisemann said:

Mortimer said:

JWisemann said:

Because 172 MP's staged a coup.

Corbyn haters is a better phrase though since enemies within was taken by that German AntiSemite
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    edited September 2018

Roger said:

That’s seriously ‘brave’, in the Sir Humphrey sense, given the context of millions of people switching off the NFL because of the political protests. Expect #boycottnike to be trending soon, with everyone from the President down endorsing it. Expect lots of Tweeting about how their $200 trainers are made for $5 in a sweatshop in Asia.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Chequers is dead.

The Tories are having to act as both Government and Opposition on Brexit, arguing both sides, as Labour has absented itself from the field of battle. To thrash out just how anti-semitic it wants to be.

If you want a definition of self-indulgence....
    I like to think sitting on the fence to ensure the Tories are blamed for the shitty outcome is very wise.

Carry on spinning. A Government is supposed to Govern.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

That's right but Nike will have done. I heard that their sales worldwide are larger than in the US so the risk wasn't that great.
    Nike sales will index under 50 who relatively, tend not to be angry white racists. It’s both good politics and good business.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Roger said:

Roger said:

well while Im not in the market for Nike trainer, generally speaking brands which like to play politics just put me off.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Looking at the NEC ballot results it appears that the majority of Labour members are in the 'can't be arsed' faction. Under 200,000 voters by the look of it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Roger said:

https://twitter.com/benimmo/status/1036868673456234496

The genius of this particular play is that Nike are the clothing sponsor for the NFL. Every player and coach, whether they take a knee or not, is advertising Nike.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Looking at the NEC ballot results it appears that the majority of Labour members are in the 'can't be arsed' faction. Under 200,000 voters by the look of it.
    The anti-Corbyn faction is smallest of all ;)
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

JWisemann said:

BOTH parties are popular. They have their core base, they have their soft vote, they have waverers. Neither side can effectively defeat the other whilst the other is popular. For all the bullshit memes that the cult want to produce about % share of vote being higher than Blair he won and Corbyn didn't. But Blair at 35% share faced Mad Frankie Howard who was deeply unpopular. May added nearly 2m votes...
  • Options

DavidL said:

I also have the add. I can't think why...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    No problem with antisemitism in the Labour party, they had an inquiry and everything.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Sports Direct has changed slightly over the last couple of years - the walls are absolubtely stuffed to the gills with Nike and Adidas, much much more so than even say 4 years back. I'd guess alot of their sales are simply because of the sheer volume of stock they have in shops.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Yes I know that. Wasn't suggesting Hitler didn't know or didn't approve. He didn't need to approve - they just did what they thought was right. And its the same with Jezbollah. He issues "not in my name" emails. But when one of his propagandists goes anti-semitic does he say a thing? Does he rebuke the wall of defence thrown up to protect Bastani? Does he have him suspended?

Or does he roll his eyes? Corbyn isn't doing these things - his supporters are. But he isn't stopping them either, its tacit approval at least
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    JWisemann said:

An amusing kick in the groin for Rochdale Pioneers. An old fashioned fight for the soul of new 'New Labour'.
  • Options

Roger said:

I wouldn't normally have done this (as Lucille Ball famously said 'Leave the messages to Western Union'), but in this case, given Trump's base, they are probably on relatively safe ground:

They [Trump supporters] are primarily white, older men with low levels of education and income.

https://www.thoughtco.com/meet-the-people-behind-donald-trumps-popularity-4068073

Hence Hilary Clinton's crass condescension. When it comes to voting, they matter. Buying expensive trainers, probably not so much.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I also have the add. I can't think why...
    No adverts at all again for me ! (No I'm not running an adblock here)
  • Options
    Has everyone seen the clip on social media of Yasmin Dar, who came top of the NEC vote, applauding and lauding the Islamic Revolution in Iran?

Apparently this is normal.

Truly we have jumped the shark and smashed through the Overton window.
  • Options
    Mr. Walker, not seen that, but given Corbyn (I think in 2014) attended an event celebrating the anniversary of said revolution, it's not all that surprising.
  • Options

Has everyone seen the clip on social media of Yasmin Dar, who came top of the NEC vote, applauding and lauding the Islamic Revolution in Iran?

Apparently this is normal.

Truly we have jumped the shark and smashed through the Overton window.

Well we know jezza isnt exactly unhappy to take their cash and back their propaganda output either.
  • Options

Because 172 MP's staged a coup

They did?
    1. Corbyn sacked Hilary Benn which was the catalyst for what followed
    2. A lot of shadow ministers at all level were deeply pissed off with being treated like shit by the Leader of the Opposition's Office (LOTO) and had been moaning about it for months
    3. Collective "oh well we have to muddle through" thinking was smashed with the sacking of Benn and the first couple of resignations. Others looked at their own separate issues thought "fuck this" and also went
    4. Various detailed different evidence was given by shadow ministers about how LOTO had fucked them, their brief, their staff. All different. All detailed. Can't just be dismissed as fiction as I was hearing this before they quit
    5. So what then happened? We had a challenge to the leader within rules. We had a leadership contest within rules. The leader was re-elected within rules. The leader personally advocated such a contest within rules before he became leader. How is a process run within rules a "coup"?

Its paranoid bullshit. "infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!"

• Options

Mr. L, should've been part of the campaign. But both sides decided that being realistic was unfashionable and preferred complacency and exaggerations instead.

It remains shocking just how poor the campaigns were.

Mr. Mortimer, religious types often hate heretics more than heathens. As the Eastern Romans once said: better the Sultan's turban than the cardinal's hat.

I think the referendum showed fundamental weaknesses in the concept. Firstly, the campaigns were run by groupings who did not "own" the result in any particular way, not least because they did not have the power to implement it since they were not the government. This made them reckless in a way that they might not have been had they had to deal with the consequences.

Secondly, we inevitably ended up with a multiplicity of campaigns saying different things and emphasising contradictory points. The result is that both sides held contradictory positions within their ranks. The inconsistencies of leave voters are only more apparent because they won.

Thirdly, we inevitably have great frustration on both sides with the result. Leavers think that they won but May is bargaining everything they wanted in a BINO. Remainers think that their views are not being listened to. May is in the middle trying to find a path acceptable to both sides.

Something similar in Scotland happened with Better Together, another cross party grouping with no agreed position on what the role of Scotland was to be in the UK going forward. Their victory inevitably led to Indy supporters claiming that that victory had been won on false promises not delivered (eg "the vow"). But Better Together was not the government and had no power to promise anything.

The only rational conclusion is that this is a damn silly way to do things. I hope we don't see any more referenda for quite a while.
  • Options
    Mr. L, I agree with almost all of that.

However, I do think certain fundamental changes require a clear democratic mandate (changing the voting system would be another).

Does make one wonder how a theoretical second referendum would end up going.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

I think the referendum showed fundamental weaknesses in the concept. Firstly, the campaigns were run by groupings who did not "own" the result in any particular way, not least because they did not have the power to implement it since they were not the government. This made them reckless in a way that they might not have been had they had to deal with the consequences.

This was discussed with reference to Ireland.

Referendums can be a good idea if

1. The Government of the day has a concrete plan for something they want to change
    2. They require public consent

In those circumstances it can work well
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited September 2018

Yeah sod the Jews. You will give them up for the greater good of nationalising Virgin Trains.

You can't make an omelette, etc.
  • Options

Mr. L, I agree with almost all of that.

However, I do think certain fundamental changes require a clear democratic mandate (changing the voting system would be another).

Does make one wonder how a theoretical second referendum would end up going.

Like Groundhog Day?
  • Options
    An antisemite hidden in décor by Nazis
This discussion has been closed.