Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Further thoughts on Chris Williamson succeeding Jeremy Corbyn

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Finishing with Jerusalem and the National Anthem now

I don't bother with the Last Night of The Proms anymore.

They let any tom, dick or harry in and it's been totally captured by the liberal Left

If you want a proper patriotic music festival now you have to go to the battle proms or proms in the shires.
    If it had been totally captured by the liberal left there would be no 'Rule Britannia' and no 'Land of Hope and Glory' though I agree local proms can be just as good, we even have a Proms on the Green in Epping
    Give them time.
    If the only tunes allowed are 'the Red Flag', Flower of Scotland' and 'Beethovan's Ninth' you may have a point but until then it remains watchable
    I disagree. Rule Britannia was dialled back for a number of years by previous conductors, and only heard as part of the sea songs, and the BBC are almost embarrassed to show it. They should have drawn a line in the sand with the political flag entry as well, but have done nothing about it.

You are very dismissive of anyone's views that don't align with your own, which you then try to prove by steering the discussion onto other facts or assertions you feel can't be refuted or rebutted, even if they bear little to no relation to the original point.

I no longer watch it. There are better places in the UK now that better capture its cultural heritage.
    Rule Britannia still plays a key role in the Proms and that is a fact, the fact you dislike the Proms now does not change that.

I say what I think regardless of what the consensus may be and will continue to do so
    I have friends who were in the audience last night. The flags were being assessed by staff before entry to the auditorium.

Their Welsh flag was rejected for being too large. Their EU flag was passed fit for display.

I kid you not.
    Their were a few saltires and St George's flags in the audience but it is fair to say the BBC is pro UK and pro EU rather less pro English and Scottish and Welsh nationalism
  • Options

A massive jibe at May like this is likely to put the backs up of the fiercely loyal con members out in the shires.

Count me in as one of those...
  • Options

Boris has united Adonis, Tugendhat and Alan Duncan in condemnation. Wow!

I suspect the entire political class (at least those still with a working moral compass) will be joining in the condemnation. And it is thoroughly deserved.
    Has he finally blown it?
    Who can tell. It seems impossible to count out anything these days. But I can't see how he can put together a coalition of support to win any contest.

Seems to me that he has lost his touch. Or maybe Crosby is advising him rather badly.
    Or it is some cunning wheeze to make May more secure...?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Finishing with Jerusalem and the National Anthem now

I don't bother with the Last Night of The Proms anymore.

They let any tom, dick or harry in and it's been totally captured by the liberal Left

If you want a proper patriotic music festival now you have to go to the battle proms or proms in the shires.
    If it had been totally captured by the liberal left there would be no 'Rule Britannia' and no 'Land of Hope and Glory' though I agree local proms can be just as good, we even have a Proms on the Green in Epping
    Give them time.
    I hate being provocative, but Elgar disapproved of the words added to pomp and circumstance. And Blake really is writing about a burnt out mill on his way to the Grocery shop.

Blake also believed, or couldn’t entirely rule out, Jesus visited Britain.

Even now, 2018, with everything I researched on the subject, I wouldn’t rule it out.
    You don’t rule out Jesus visiting Britain? ( Or Blake ruling it out to be fair).

Well fair enough. But I don’t rule out being supreme ruler of the universe by Tuesday ( I mean Sunday's a day off, and that gives everyone Monday to do the paperwork, so that’s reasonable).

Did I read something below about Marx being too right wing too?

Righty oh then. That’s all fine.........

In fact the more read-into it, the more plausible it sound.
    Proven trade routes. Position in his uncles business. The gap in his life historians know little of, about 15 years.
    The trip not as long or arduous in those days as may think.
    As well as trade, Learn a bit of the geometry and architecture from builders in the North. Why do people travel on gap year?

A religious, though not orthodox, man, Blake was excited by stories of Jesus in England, handed down by word of mouth here and interestingly same in the Mediterranean.

Christ stopped at Priddy, on the mendips, and took tea with the Druids.
    Say you have more than enough Reason for one evening and send me to bed.
    Right. All ok. Fine. Fair enough. If that’s what you think.

I shall draw my own conclusions and move on.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I see Boris has ended his political career meltdown with a bang... Goodnight and get lost.

Doesn't look good.

But he is a survivor.

Who knows.
    The new Daily Mail editor, Geordie Greig, is strongly pro May and anti Boris so we need to see the full context of the story first but I doubt it will make much difference even if another Boris gaffe, those who hated Boris before like Adonis, Duncan and Tugenhadt and who back Remain or Chequers will continue to do so and those who loved Boris before and back Brexit and hate Chequers will continue to do so too
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    Just reading about McDonnell radical idea for workers to have a bigger say in how their company is run. I starts off with companies will be forced to put profits into share scheme for workers, ok not that uncommon among in some sectors, but you can’t cash them in, ever...it is simply all about the workers getting increasing control of a private company via voter rights because they are an ever increasing shareholder block.

He also says that labours next manifesto is going to be more much left wing and radical then last time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I see Boris has ended his political career meltdown with a bang... Goodnight and get lost.

Doesn't look good.

But he is a survivor.

Who knows.
    The new Daily Mail editor, Geordie Greig, is strongly pro May and anti Boris so we need to see the full context of the story first but I doubt it will make much difference even if another Boris gaffe, those who hated Boris before like Adonis, Duncan and Tugenhadt and who back Remain or Chequers will continue to do so and those who loved Boris before and back Brexit and hate Chequers will continue to do so too
    Sunday Mail is different editor.
  • Options

Just reading about McDonnell radical idea for workers to have a bigger say in how their company is run. I starts off with companies will be forced to put profits into share scheme for workers, ok not that uncommon among in some sectors, but you can’t cash them in, ever...it is simply all about the workers getting increasing control of a private company via voter rights because they are an ever increasing shareholder block.

He also says that labours next manifesto is going to be more much left wing and radical...

McDonnell is open about his desire to destroy capitalism. He has been throughout his 'career'.

No matter how 'reasonable' he tries to be when in front of the cameras, his instincts are dangerous.
  • Options

He also says that labours next manifesto is going to be more much left wing and radical then last time.

Which will cause people to put money in other places other than British companies.
  • Options

Well, there were quite a few complaints from those on the left that the last manifesto, once you cut through the crap, was not much more than reheated Miliband.

Certainly f all on the welfare state, which is broken.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Which will cause people to put money in other places other than British companies.
    Well also who would want to set a company up knowing that if successful in 30-40 years time the worker block might have a bigger stake in your company than you....and that ever year your potential cash out is being diluted.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    'Boris Johnson has triggered a fresh political storm by accusing Theresa May of wrapping a ‘suicide vest’ around Britain – and handing the detonator to Brussels.
    The former Foreign Secretary uses a blistering article in today’s The Mail on Sunday to condemn the Prime Minister’s ‘feeble’ handling of the Brexit negotiations, her ‘pathetic’ Chequers deal and the Government’s ‘semi-masochistic’ relationship with the EU.

...Amid an increasingly febrile atmosphere at Westminster, this newspaper can also reveal:
    The contents of a ‘dirty dossier’ on Mr Johnson, which was drawn up by Mrs May’s advisers as part of an alleged attempt to ‘smear’ him;
    Leaked details of the ‘chuck Chequers’ manifesto drawn up by arch-Brexiteers, which calls for billions to be ploughed into income tax cuts, the NHS and the Armed Forces;
    That the Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, is calling on the Prime Minister’s political enemies to give her ‘the flexibility and room’ to strike a good deal for Britain. Writing in The Mail on Sunday he says she will fulfil ‘the will of the people’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6146953/Boris-Johnson-accuses-Theresa-wrapping-suicide-vest-Britain-Brexit-plan.html
  • Options

He also says that labours next manifesto is going to be more much left wing and radical...

McDonnell is open about his desire to destroy capitalism. He has been throughout his 'career'.

No matter how 'reasonable' he tries to be when in front of the cameras, his instincts are dangerous.
    I have always said he is far more dangerous than grumpy grandad, who is a moron. McDonnell isnt, but he is a Marxist that wants to destroy capitalism.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Well also who would want to set a company up knowing that if successful in 30-40 years time the worker block might have a bigger stake in your company than you....and that ever year your potential cash out is being diluted.
    Quite. So you’d avoid it like the plague.

Are these people monumentally stupid? Yes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Quite. So you’d avoid it like the plague.

Are these people monumentally stupid? Yes.
    I can already see how companies could do some jiggery-pokery. you have a foreign based parent companies and they keep everything valuable like IP, copyright on brand names, etc etc etc in the parent.

Then when the worker share block starts to reach a critical mass, you shut the UK company, and start a new one, but obviously the public won't know as they just keep using the same brand names etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    edited September 2018

Boris has united Adonis, Tugendhat and Alan Duncan in condemnation. Wow!

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1038535110482698240

All remainers?

That said Boris has clearly jumped the shark,

Wonder if he's had a breakdown after his marriage break-up?
  • Options
    When Sir Alan was asked about Mrs May he offered a long explanation exploring her strengths and weaknesses. When asked about his immediate boss, Boris - he had a one word answer - "C*nt".
  • Options
    I see the ERG plan is a return to solid fiscal conservatism.
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1038550545521356801
  • Options
    Presumably he thinks Boris made the suicide vest comment to distract from the affair story, but it’s gone a bit too far.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

I see the ERG plan is a return to solid fiscal conservatism.
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1038550545521356801

Don't they mean SDI?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited September 2018
    welshowl said:

All those who think Brexit will be damaging - nah, that first McDonnell Budget - THAT will be damaging.

And by his third, he will be grubbing around for ever more desperate ideas to find taxes to try to fund the NHS. Because he doesn't seem to realise that taxing capitalists in reasonable measure funds the NHS. When they leave, Labour will be the ones that will have killed the NHS. Oh, the irony....
  • Options

welshowl said:

All those who think Brexit will be damaging - nah, that first McDonnell Budget - THAT will be damaging.

And by his third, he will be grubbing around for ever more desperate ideas to find taxes to try to fund the NHS. Because he doesn't seem to realise that taxing capitalists in reasonable measure funds the NHS. When they leave, Labour will be the ones that will have killed the NHS. Oh, the irony....
    Just imagine how unwelcome an EU referendum would be for Corbyn and McDonnell at this point...
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited September 2018

welshowl said:

The Labour Party is proposing as Chancellor a man who wants to overthrow capitalism.

Perhaps McDonnell should live in Venezuela for a period to learn from the best?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    https://twitter.com/RmSalih/status/1038434993951911937

Can't speak for the guys honesty but haven't seen any proof of Labour involvement.

As for the dogs controversy Corbyn's opponents have used any excuse to attack him, be that feigning insult or ignoring context and the like so I'm not sure they can complain when they get the same treatment back. They at least won't have the right wing papers joining in.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited September 2018
    "My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters!"
    - Boo-ris in 2004, on being sacked from the Shadow Cabinet by Michael Howard after the Petronella Wyatt affair.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Morning. Sounds like Boris’ star is finally imploding, he’s on almost every front page and not one of the stories is positive for him.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

welshowl said:

You’ll have technical listings (a friend of mine once owned a $1bn company that had a 0.001% stake listed)

Or people will reduce the number of employees below 250.

Or they will split employees into different subsidiaries or stapled sisters

Lots of ways around it
  • Options
    Charles said:

welshowl said:

You’ll have technical listings (a friend of mine once owned a $1bn company that had a 0.001% stake listed)

Lots of ways around it
    Good luck explaining company structures to John McDonnell!
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

"My friends, as I have discovered myself, there are no disasters, only opportunities. And, indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters!"
    - Boo-ris in 2004, on being sacked from the Shadow Cabinet by Michael Howard after the Petronella Wyatt affair.

4 years later he became mayor of London, four years after that he won re-election. After his mayoralty finished he successfully led the campaign to leave the EU and a month later became Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Lots of ways around it
    Well we currently have 1 company with about 400 employees

We could spin off ancillary services into a separate company that was totally independent with 50 employees

And there’s no reason why the main company needs to own the real estate and the support functions that go with it. So there’s another company with about 100 employees.

Of course there would be paperwork involved but we’re already down to 250 in the main business without affecting the core ability to operate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

https://twitter.com/RmSalih/status/1038434993951911937

Can't speak for the guys honesty but haven't seen any proof of Labour involvement.

As for the dogs controversy Corbyn's opponents have used any excuse to attack him, be that feigning insult or ignoring context and the like so I'm not sure they can complain when they get the same treatment back. They at least won't have the right wing papers joining in.

Why is Iranian television so interested in the deselection of a Labour MP?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Lots of ways around it
    Well we currently have 1 company with about 400 employees

We could spin off ancillary services into a separate company that was totally independent with 50 employees

And there’s no reason why the main company needs to own the real estate and the support functions that go with it. So there’s another company with about 100 employees.

Of course there would be paperwork involved but we’re already down to 250 in the main business without affecting the core ability to operate.
    Indeed so. Any international company will have a network of entities where things can be located in the most regulatory-friendly jurisdiction. It’s very common in my part of the world to have an onshore, offshore and free zone company to get around rules on foreign ownership, for example.
    We can all agree that J McD doesn’t have the first clue about how business works in the real world, and grossly underestimates the extent to which business owners and managers will rearrange themselves to avoid major changes in regulation and taxation.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Pretending to get upset about the ‘suicide vest’ jibe will get no currency - the sort of people that support Brexit and Boris are not going to be remotely put off by people who are desperate to be offended at everything - in fact it will just re-enforce their views that politics is dominated by the politcally correct who they despise.

May’s line that she has the only viable plan is far more of a problem, given that (a) the EU have rejected her plan and (b) the Brexiteers are about to publish their own plan.

May’s survival is measured in weeks at this stage.
This discussion has been closed.