Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s gains in Scotland were mostly down to the SNP misplac

Comments

• Options

But again I wonder if this is just a Cambridgeshire thing, or if other counties / regions do it?

If I remember rightly, at Mrs Capitano's school (Oxfordshire), the home visit is before the kid starts school. I'll ask her when she's home.
    Thanks to you and all the respondents. The school starts are staggered, so some are having them before their first day, and some after; it's probably just coincidence that we had ours on his first day.

Well, it's over; it was about half an hour with one of his class teachers and another teacher. We had a nice chat about what would happen this year (which we had already been told at an evening event), and they watched him play with his toys and went up to see his bedroom.

All slightly bizarre, but it may have helped. Somehow. ;)
    The teachers need to check you have enough room to park the new Jag.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-45481438
    From 13, I went to a private school as a day pupil. I was waiting for my dad one day, and as other kids were picked up in Range Rovers, Jags or even 'normal' cars, my dad picked me up in a JCB. I had to sit side-on in the cab for the slow seven miles home.

It certainly added to my reputation in school. It's passed down the generations, as both my sister and brother own JCBs, and a year of so ago my mum said: "You should buy your son a digger."
    I pointer to a Bruder model. "He has one."
    "No," my mum said, "get him a real digger."
    He was three.

Aside from that, as our garden is tiny, that would really impress my neighbours ...
  • Options
    Another wicket 328 for 7
  • Options
    Pant's off
  • Options
    Pant going for win but likely lost the match now

But what a great innings and only 20
  • Options

Pant's off

What's Boris done now?
  • Options

But again I wonder if this is just a Cambridgeshire thing, or if other counties / regions do it?

If I remember rightly, at Mrs Capitano's school (Oxfordshire), the home visit is before the kid starts school. I'll ask her when she's home.
    Thanks to you and all the respondents. The school starts are staggered, so some are having them before their first day, and some after; it's probably just coincidence that we had ours on his first day.

Well, it's over; it was about half an hour with one of his class teachers and another teacher. We had a nice chat about what would happen this year (which we had already been told at an evening event), and they watched him play with his toys and went up to see his bedroom.

All slightly bizarre, but it may have helped. Somehow. ;)
    The teachers need to check you have enough room to park the new Jag.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-45481438
    From 13, I went to a private school as a day pupil. I was waiting for my dad one day, and as other kids were picked up in Range Rovers, Jags or even 'normal' cars, my dad picked me up in a JCB. I had to sit side-on in the cab for the slow seven miles home.

It certainly added to my reputation in school. It's passed down the generations, as both my sister and brother own JCBs, and a year of so ago my mum said: "You should buy your son a digger."
    I pointer to a Bruder model. "He has one."
    "No," my mum said, "get him a real digger."
    He was three.

Aside from that, as our garden is tiny, that would really impress my neighbours ...
    That's pretty cool to be fair.
    I got pickled up by a milk float is the best I can claim as we stormed off at about 15mph
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,553

I see my pep talk to Adil Rashid did the trick.

New he'd come good once they (and he) went into full one day mode...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975

Pant going for win but likely lost the match now

But what a great innings and only 20

Indeed. A real find for India, especially if he can improve his ‘keeping. 40 byes in a match is not good, even if he couldn’t help some of them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    I read somewhere that the Catholic Church has paid out billions of dollars in compensation over the years. Amazing that they have that much money lying around.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,110
    Well, they are well briefed on what their opponents are going to say. I wonder if they have any answer?
  • Options

Commentators have a habit of going on about 464 being well beyond the highest-ever successful test run chase. While true, they should acknowledge that (leaving aside the oddity of England scoring 654-5 in the final innings of a timeless test), at least 10 innings would have been likely to go on to at least that score had the team batting last not had to stop batting either because they won or because the game ran out of time.

The new ball is critical now.

Speaking of which why on Earth is Jimmy Anderson bowling with the old ball still when the new ball is available and we only have 19 overs left?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I read somewhere that the Catholic Church has paid out billions of dollars in compensation over the years. Amazing that they have that much money lying around.
    The miracle of 2000 years compound interest.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    RobD said:

They have plenty of high value stock to be fair.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Playing for the draw now, it seems. 19 overs left.
  • Options

19 overs, new ball available and still tossing up the old one. Makes no sense to me.
  • Options

19 overs, new ball available and still tossing up the old one. Makes no sense to me.
    Nor me, although there’s some suggestion that Broad’s carrying an injury.
  • Options

RobD said:

Jesus certainly was thrifty. He's built up quite a nest egg over the years.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,882
    Pulpstar said:

Edinburgh South is a curious one. It looks on the surface like tactical Tories and Lib Dems voting for Murray...
    But the Tories gained votes there, though only 1000 or so.
    So taking the 323k additional Tories and splitting them gives 5489 per constituency - But that's what Murray went up by roughly (+ a few Lab)
    Conclusion:
    Extra voters came out the woodwork for Murray in Edinburgh South, they'd have probably voted Tory elsewhere but decided to vote Labour as the best way to stop the SNP there.
    Existing Tory voters kept voting Tory.

They are the Tories little helpers
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

What value the Sistine Chapel ceiling ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,240
    Looks like India are going to hold on. Remarkable effort with Virat out for a duck and Pujara out cheaply last night.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What value the Sistine Chapel ceiling ?
    That piece of junk? Hmm... I'll give you a tenner for it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Were those direct SNP->Ruth converts, or was it SNP->StayAtHome on one side, and StayAtHome->Ruth on the other? Or indeed some other more complex churn?

Stay at home conversion is the most likely explication. In the Holyrood election the year before there was very, very clear differential turnout. SNP vote percentage falling back in constituencies despite losing very few votes (or indeed in some cases gain raw votes) but losing double figure percentage points of vote share.

SCons are a very motivated voter base.
    More like there are too many morons who cannot see what a nasty bunch they are
  • Options

Found the picture for all future PB Brexit threads

https://twitter.com/DelMody/status/1039495616638926848

Looks like they are all trying to avoid making eye contact when Tezzie is looking round the room for a dance partner.
    I think that picture is the moment when Rees-Mogg hypothetically works out how many Hail Marys Boris Johnson would have to say were he to be a practising Roman Catholic
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Looks like India are going to hold on. Remarkable effort with Virat out for a duck and Pujara out cheaply last night.

Nice effort, completely transparent to be fair :p
  • Options
    That chart shows as well as any I have seen what Ruth achieved in Scotland whilst May lost seats in England. An absolutely incredible performance.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Nice effort, completely transparent to be fair :p
    Nothing subtle about me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Were those direct SNP->Ruth converts, or was it SNP->StayAtHome on one side, and StayAtHome->Ruth on the other? Or indeed some other more complex churn?

Stay at home conversion is the most likely explication. In the Holyrood election the year before there was very, very clear differential turnout. SNP vote percentage falling back in constituencies despite losing very few votes (or indeed in some cases gain raw votes) but losing double figure percentage points of vote share.

SCons are a very motivated voter base.
    More like there are too many morons who cannot see what a nasty bunch they are
    That is a classic coming from a nationalist. Was it you or one of your Nat pals on here that conveniently forget your party's Nazi-sympathising past? Heil Salmond
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That chart shows as well as any I have seen what Ruth achieved in Scotland whilst May lost seats in England. An absolutely incredible performance.

It was all down to pact with the other pygmy parties David , anybody wanting to vote against SNP had to hold their nose and take the least bad option. Only good thing is the thick Labour idiots getting stiffed because of it.
  • Options
    Sharma gone.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It was indeed. She saved us from a Corbyn government propped up by the Nats
  • Options
    8 down. Does Anderson still need 1 more to overtake McGrath?
  • Options

8 down. Does Anderson still need 1 more to overtake McGrath?

Yes, Curran bowled
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,971
    edited September 2018
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It was all down to pact with the other pygmy parties David , anybody wanting to vote against SNP had to hold their nose and take the least bad option. Only good thing is the thick Labour idiots getting stiffed because of it.
    You are aware that in a FPTP system most people don't vote for the party they support, their vote for the one they currently hate least...

Or in the case of the SNP 2017 none as even the SNP had failed to delivery whatever those missing voters wanted...
  • Options
    Last 15 overs to go!
  • Options
    9 down
  • Options
    10, Jack left now. Neither have good batting records.
  • Options
    Curran nailed on for player of the series despite being dropped midway.....
  • Options
  • Options
    If there is any time left does the match end when the overs are bowled or do we get some more with 9 down? Assuming we don't run out of time or have bad light or get the 10th first.

I don't think I've ever seen more than the "minimum overs remaining" being bowled.
  • Options

If there is any time left does the match end when the overs are bowled or do we get some more with 9 down? Assuming we don't run out of time or have bad light or get the 10th first.

I don't think I've ever seen more than the "minimum overs remaining" being bowled.

No, only 13 (maybe 14) left.
  • Options
    Lol, Shami driving at the ball.
  • Options
    All over now. Anderson gets the last one!
  • Options
    Anderson does it

What an achievement
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,110
    Well, you won't get a much better dead rubber than that!
  • Options
    Man of the match, Cook; Man of the series Curran ?
  • Options

Why do they call it minimum if it is the maximum then? Never understood that.
  • Options
    So impressed by the sportsmanship shown by the Indian team
  • Options
    edited September 2018

It's not the maximum, and it's not the minimum.
    If England bowled quickly then they can bowl more overs than 15 by 18:20 (Unlikely but with spinners could have been possible)
    If they bowled really slowly then the match has to finish by 18:30.
  • Options

No it is a minimum of 15 overs.

The rules say it either a minimum of 15 overs or one hour, whichever is later.

So it is possible to bowl more than 15 overs in the last hour.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018
    I think I would have preferred an Indian win on this occasion. For a team to score 464 would gave been a magnificent performance.
  • Options

Yes but if it gets to 18:30 then that is the end of the match too. So it isn't a minimum.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes but if it gets to 18:30 then that is the end of the match too. So it isn't a minimum.
    Not if 15 overs haven't been bowled.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think I would have preferred an Indian win on this occasion. For a team to score 464 would gave been a magnificent performance.

It would.

But it is a pretty impressive England performance overall. Yes, there have been some major problems - but they have pulled together when it mattered. And beaten the best team in the world 4-1. I don't think anyone would have predicted that a couple of months ago.

Cook going out on a high. Anderson achieving his goal of becoming the most successful pace bowler in history.

We were saved by our lower order players - but runs are runs at the end of the day. It was a team playing together and achieving together.
  • Options
    Remember Karachi 2000.
  • Options
    This photo looks destined to endure as a symbol of the failure of Brexit. Boris must be so happy he decided to turn up to support his ERG friends...

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1039552054233051136
  • Options

This photo looks destined to endure as a symbol of the failure of Brexit. Boris must be so happy he decided to turn up to support his ERG friends...

It reminded me of this

• Options
    Although India didn't win, if anyone made the call at 501, that was a great trading suggestion. I know others backed at long (but shorter than 501) odds. Was AFK when that happened, though.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Remember Karachi 2000.

That was fixed wasn't it?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,956

AndyJS said:

It would.

But it is a pretty impressive England performance overall. Yes, there have been some major problems - but they have pulled together when it mattered. And beaten the best team in the world 4-1. I don't think anyone would have predicted that a couple of months ago.

Cook going out on a high. Anderson achieving his goal of becoming the most successful pace bowler in history.

We were saved by our lower order players - but runs are runs at the end of the day. It was a team playing together and achieving together.
    Tbf though, winning 5 out of 5 tosses helped. Would have been different had India won all 5.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    edited September 2018
    tlg86 said:

Remember Karachi 2000.

I hope not.

One of my enduring cricketing memories watching England win in darkness.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

It would.

Tbf though, winning 5 out of 5 tosses helped. Would have been different had India won all 5.
    That is certainly an advantage - but you still have to play to win. And there were plenty of times when we were heading towards disaster and still pulled it off.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

Remember Karachi 2000.

I hope not.

Were you there? I doubt it was fixed - certainly the time wasting suggested the Pakistanis didn't want to lose.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Evisceration.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-jacob-reesmogg-steve-baker-economists-for-free-trade-a8533021.html

Steve Baker, David Davis, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Bill Cash, Iain Duncan Smith and every other person you would want nowhere near government was already there. The collective noun for said people is not economists. According to the latest Independent style guide the correct term is made up of at least twenty five per cent asterisks ... ... ...

... ... ... There is not a single figure in the government, in the Treasury, or in the economics analysis department of any major bank or investment firm who considers this to be anything less than deranged.
  • Options
    Just caught the interviews the SYP PCC done with Nick Ferrari and Julia HB.
    Jesus wept, the guy is utterly hopeless. I thought Shaun Wright was bad enough, but this takes up to a new level.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Could they be praying?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Remember Karachi 2000.

I hope not.

Were you there? I doubt it was fixed - certainly the time wasting suggested the Pakistanis didn't want to lose.
    I thought it was reminiscent of the West Indies against England in Trinidad in 1990.

Both home sides slowed the over rate down to an embarrassing level to avoid defeat.

Difference was Steve Bucknor wasn't having any of it.
  • Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, but non-crimes will continue if we don't report them to the police... do you want feelings to be hurt?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Even the slogan is mocking them

From Fear to Prospero perhaps?

Poor worm, thou art infected!
    This visitation shows it.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Evisceration.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-jacob-reesmogg-steve-baker-economists-for-free-trade-a8533021.html

Steve Baker, David Davis, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Bill Cash, Iain Duncan Smith and every other person you would want nowhere near government was already there. The collective noun for said people is not economists. According to the latest Independent style guide the correct term is made up of at least twenty five per cent asterisks ... ... ...

... ... ... There is not a single figure in the government, in the Treasury, or in the economics analysis department of any major bank or investment firm who considers this to be anything less than deranged.

I wonder what the correct collective noun should be? An ignorance of Brexiteers, or perhaps a delusion of Brexiteers.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

It would.

Root did try to even things up with some slightly eccentric decisions on whether to bowl or bat first.

• Options

Does that poster say Project Prospero ?
    Definitely some magical thinking going on.

• Options

Anorak said:

Evisceration.

I wonder what the correct collective noun should be? An ignorance of Brexiteers, or perhaps a delusion of Brexiteers.
    A pangloss of Brexiteers.

[Although given that picture, perhaps a wretchedness of Brexiteers.]
  • Options

Anorak said:

Evisceration.

A Freedom of Brexiteers.
  • Options

Mr. Pubgoer, but non-crimes will continue if we don't report them to the police... do you want feelings to be hurt?

Glad I don't live in South Yorkshire to be honest.
    To be fair our PCC isn't much better, just blown £100k on a failed vanity project to merge fire stations with Police stations. And I was one of the rocking 15% of Hertfordshire residents that turned out to vote the first time for them.
  • Options

A Freedom of Brexiteers.

Oh Sandy, you mad, bad patriot, you! I'm welling up. *sniff*
  • Options

To be fair our PCC isn't much better, just blown £100k on a failed vanity project to merge fire stations with Police stations. And I was one of the rocking 15% of Hertfordshire residents that turned out to vote the first time for them.
    A mixture of Police Engines and Fire Cars, I assume.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Pulpstar said:

The 6.30pm rule is bonkers and needs to go. It’s perfectly possible to play for at least another hour during most of the summer.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Evisceration.

A pangloss of Brexiteers.

[Although given that picture, perhaps a wretchedness of Brexiteers.]
    A Pyrrhus of Brexiteers.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

A mixture of Police Engines and Fire Cars, I assume.
    It's not happening, so just money pissed up the wall
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TOPPING said:

Looks like they are all trying to avoid making eye contact when Tezzie is looking round the room for a dance partner.
    Tezza's Strictly mastertweet has associated that dancing issue with a positive image of her in a good way for ever more.
    The dancing thing was always a positive. It showed her acting relaxed and human in public.
  • Options
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Tezza's Strictly mastertweet has associated that dancing issue with a positive image of her in a good way for ever more.
    The dancing thing was always a positive. It showed her acting relaxed and human in public.
    The real significance of the dancing is not that it *showed* the PM in a positive light but that the whole tour taught her to interact with people who aren't card-carrying Conservative activists in a sealed-off factory. This will come in very handy when she leads the party into the next election.
  • Options
    If he actually managed to deliver that without rioting on the streets, I'd forgive him a great deal. I'd still think he was a scheming, self-serving, untrustworthy toss-pot, mind.
  • Options
    An umbrage of Leavers.
  • Options
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    A Gnashnab of remainers.
  • Options

An umbrage of Leavers.

No, no, I have it now.

A gammon of Leavers.

*drops mic*
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

TOPPING said:

The real significance of the dancing is not that it *showed* the PM in a positive light but that the whole tour taught her to interact with people who aren't card-carrying Conservative activists in a sealed-off factory. This will come in very handy when she leads the party into the next election.
    Really? I don't think the problem was that she chose not to interact with people, it's that she knew she'd be terrible at it. Maybe the dancing was the first sign of a more generally confident and charismatic public persona but, er, I'll believe it when I see it
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited September 2018
    Anazina said:

Pulpstar said:

The 6.30pm rule is bonkers and needs to go. It’s perfectly possible to play for at least another hour during most of the summer.
    This is partly based on a misapprehension. There is not, and never has been, a "6.30pm cutoff" on the final day. Bad light and weather permitting, all the overs scheduled on the final day must be bowled (barring the game being won by that point obviously).

The only time a "cutoff" applies on the final day is if the players are off the field due to bad light/rain after a certain point.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

It would.

Tosses were very crucial even though Joe Root made a blunder at Trent Bridge. Need to take the toss out of the game or at least make it fairer in my opinion.

The series was competitive but showed that both sides are very flawed.

If India are to prove their number one status - they have to win in South Africa, England and Australia. They have flunked the South Africa and England missions and likely to fail in Australia..

England still great at home and rubbish away from home. At least this series was competitive - when England played in India they were murdered.

• Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    murali_s said:

dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

It would.

Tosses were very crucial even though Joe Root made a blunder at Trent Bridge. Need to take the toss out of the game or at least make it fairer in my opinion.

The series was competitive but showed that both sides are very flawed.

If India are to prove their number one status - they have to win in South Africa, England and Australia. They have flunked the South Africa and England missions and likely to fail in Australia..

England still great at home and rubbish away from home. At least this series was competitive - when England played in India they were murdered.

Don't really think the toss had much relevance in either the 1st or 4th tests. In both India had their chances and let England off the hook by failing to capitalise on their strong positions.

What was great about this series was it was the first in a long time where most of the tests didn't seem to progress in a linear manner once one team got on top.

• Options
    Anorak said:

An umbrage of Leavers.

No, no, I have it now.

A gammon of Leavers.

*drops mic*
    I think it would sound better reversed with a Leaver as a unit of measurement. “I’ll have a Leaver of your best gammon please.”
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

TOPPING said:

The real significance of the dancing is not that it *showed* the PM in a positive light but that the whole tour taught her to interact with people who aren't card-carrying Conservative activists in a sealed-off factory. This will come in very handy when she leads the party into the next election. is no longer Prime Minister.
    FTFY
This discussion has been closed.