Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Twisting on 17: the hardline Leavers’ great gamble

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

EU Parlt reviewing Junckers time in office.

Trebles all round! :D:D:D
  • Options

Sandpit said:

So junckers proposals to EU Parlt is lots more Europe.

What did you expect it to be?
    Personally just that, but I note lots of our remain colleges have been telling me our influence and smart politicians means that ever closer union is off the agenda .
    Once again Mr Alanbrooke you either intentionally or unintentionally misunderstand Europe. Ever closer union is a bullshit phrase. It has no beginning and no end and is open to massive interpretation. There are those that want a super-state, there are many many that do not. It will only happen if the heads of government (the Council of Ministers) from members agree it to be so.

Yes, qualified majority voting and all that, but there really is no concrete evidence of a serious prospect of a super-state with sovereignty. The Eu will continue to be a supra-national organisation only. Sorry to shatter your enjoyment of your negative outlook.
    My position is quite conisitent I believe what European politicians have been saying for the last 60 years and what they have delivered in that timeframe. The direction of travel is clear.

UK politicans hiding behind nonsense like influence and denying the facts dont convince.
    They don't convince you because you like to be convinced by misleading nonsense. We have had massive influence, though it was mainly Mrs Thatcher. The single market is her construct. The expansion of the EU to Eastern Europe to dilute French and German influence. De-nationalised monopolies across Europe from British influence. British influence creating regulations on prevention of government intervention leading to unbalanced competition (largely hated by the French in particular). Prevention of regulations restricting the financial transactions of the City.

The list is endless, but you are in denial because you worship at the altar of small minded nationalism
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I wrote in favour of Chequers when it came out for that reason:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/07/09/a-better-ole/

I considered extending the WW1 metaphor for this article by noting that Leavers, by abandoning Chequers, had found themselves trapped in no man's land, but remembered that Leavers get unnaturally excited by references to World Wars.

To be fair, many leavers - including some on here - are in favour of the Chequers plan. They're being sensible - I think few of them are massively happy with it (or that's the impression I get), but they see it as a workable compromise.

It's the other camp of leavers who are causing the problems. These people should be nowhere near government or power as they're impractical ideologues IMO.
    Absolutely. There’s plenty of pragmatic Leavers around, including people like Michael Gove and Dan Hannan that a lot of commentators would have categorised as extreme, but are actually in favour of a gradual disentanglement of which Chequers is a good compromise.
    Sigh. Dickens used great prose to explain to readers that Marley was dead. I am hoping some contemporary genius might be able to find the words to explain the same fact about Chequers.
  • Options

I wrote a long critique of the OP but it seems to have vanished from the thread. I assume this is now being edited by Geordie Greig?

Anyway, good to see the Remainers slapping each others backs in mutual congratulation on missing the point of the referendum. The real news today is the Junker is joining Barnier in trying to get it through Theresa May's thick head that the only thing that the EU want to offer is a Canada Plus FTA. Which is what the Leavers want. That must be a bit awkward.

Can we have a few more Remainers on here criticising Leavers for refusing to back the 'pragmatic compromise' of Chequers, despite the fact that the EU have completely ruled it out? Or maybe it is time to accept after all that the referendum was a binary question - fully in or fully out - and that you lost?

"Or maybe it is time to accept after all that the referendum was a binary question - fully in or fully out"

No, it wasn't.

Did you vote in the referendum?
    Somebody else thinks so....

Junker: “[We] ask the British government to understand that someone who leaves the Union cannot be in the same privileged position as a member state. If you leave the Union, you are of course no longer part of our single market, and certainly not only in the parts of it you choose,” said Juncker, referring to the U.K. proposal that it remain within the single market for goods but not services. "...We agree with the statement made in Chequers that the starting point for such a partnership should be a free-trade area between the United Kingdom and the European Union,” he said.
    As others have said, fudge is very tasty. ;) Don't mistake negotiating positions for final positions.

I'd like to know if you actually voted in the referendum?
  • Options

I wrote a long critique of the OP but it seems to have vanished from the thread. I assume this is now being edited by Geordie Greig?

Anyway, good to see the Remainers slapping each others backs in mutual congratulation on missing the point of the referendum. The real news today is the Junker is joining Barnier in trying to get it through Theresa May's thick head that the only thing that the EU want to offer is a Canada Plus FTA. Which is what the Leavers want. That must be a bit awkward.

Can we have a few more Remainers on here criticising Leavers for refusing to back the 'pragmatic compromise' of Chequers, despite the fact that the EU have completely ruled it out? Or maybe it is time to accept after all that the referendum was a binary question - fully in or fully out - and that you lost?

"Or maybe it is time to accept after all that the referendum was a binary question - fully in or fully out"

No, it wasn't.

Junker: “[We] ask the British government to understand that someone who leaves the Union cannot be in the same privileged position as a member state. If you leave the Union, you are of course no longer part of our single market, and certainly not only in the parts of it you choose,” said Juncker, referring to the U.K. proposal that it remain within the single market for goods but not services. "...We agree with the statement made in Chequers that the starting point for such a partnership should be a free-trade area between the United Kingdom and the European Union,” he said.
    I don't recall seeing that statement on my ballot paper, so I doubt it was on those who voted self-harm
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838

Sandpit said:

CD13 said:

Can we have some clarity in these perpetual moans from Remainers …

(1) Remain had all then advantages during the referendum. The government, TV, especially the BBC (with the exception of the three week purdah period), and the money that was spent.

(2) The lack of preparation and plan was down to one man. David Cameron. He prevented the civil service working on alternative plans - something they would automatically have done. Yet somehow it's all Brexit's fault. I had no ready-made plan in my pocket, and neither had Labour,for exactly the same reason. We're not in charge of the civil service. This isn't rocket science, but why hasn't Cameron been widely castigated for this cock-up?

(3) After a binary referendum, the idea of appealing to the Remainers by accepting many of their policies is akin to Labour winning a GE and taking on much of the Tory manifesto. Why?

(4) The country is split. Another referendum, and possibly another after that until we get the 'right' answer won't solve that.

Two is such bullshit.

He asked for prep to be done but the civil service couldn’t reconcile the contradictions in the Leave campaigns.

Such as we’re leaving the single market but no one is threatening our place in the single market.
    Cameron called the referendum. He could, and should, have had the country vote on a specific vision of Brexit.
    That was indeed the biggest mistake.

A referendum works when the government are proposing something specific and are asking for approval. It doesn’t work when the government support the status quo and allows something non-specific as an alternative.

The correct approach would have been to have the referendum as EU membership vs EEA membership, we could have debated the pros and cons of both organisations before the vote. Those in favour of WTO or similar would mostly have supported EEU as a loosening of the relationship on the way to the preferred destination.
    If he had done that the EEA option would have won by a mile - and the establishment had no intention whatsoever of leaving the EU.. The reason Dave called the in/out referendum is that he assumed he was bound to win.
    Indeed. I was a big David Cameron fan until that day in February 2016 when he returned from the “negotiations” with not a fig leaf, but tried to tell us all that he’d got the world’s best deal ever, yet it couldn’t be put in writing until after we’d voted to remain. He thought we’d all happily vote to remain, but completely misread the national mood and the willingness of lots of people who considered themselves left-behind to vote to kick the government.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

No, it wasn't.

As others have said, fudge is very tasty. ;) Don't mistake negotiating positions for final positions.

I would like to know if, post-Brexit, he will be returning to the UK to live in the paradise he is so passionate about.

TBF, it is a question that could be asked of other "remote Leavers" who urge a risky course (Brexit) from the safety of their ex-pat bunkers
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I mean yesterday the ERG said they’d abolish all standards for imports/exports but since before the referendum there’d be no weakening of standards.

Tell me how Dave was supposed to wargame that?

It's not about wargaming, it's about preliminary preparation like when the PM turns up on day 1 post referendum result you can give him (and Cameron did promise to stay after all) a list of decisions and trade-offs he needs to make, rather than spending the next X months working out what the key issues are, and boxing yourself into red lines that turn out to be problematic.

As an example, witness the confusion about Euratom.
    We did all that as part of my day job.

We couldn’t reconcile the Leave promises.

Leave assured us there’d be no disruption or economic hit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I considered extending the WW1 metaphor for this article by noting that Leavers, by abandoning Chequers, had found themselves trapped in no man's land, but remembered that Leavers get unnaturally excited by references to World Wars.

To be fair, many leavers - including some on here - are in favour of the Chequers plan. They're being sensible - I think few of them are massively happy with it (or that's the impression I get), but they see it as a workable compromise.

It's the other camp of leavers who are causing the problems. These people should be nowhere near government or power as they're impractical ideologues IMO.
    Absolutely. There’s plenty of pragmatic Leavers around, including people like Michael Gove and Dan Hannan that a lot of commentators would have categorised as extreme, but are actually in favour of a gradual disentanglement of which Chequers is a good compromise.
    Sigh. Dickens used great prose to explain to readers that Marley was dead. I am hoping some contemporary genius might be able to find the words to explain the same fact about Chequers.
    I think that were he still to be alive Dickens might describe the idea of a positive outcome Brexit as being as dead as a coffin-nail
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited September 2018

If I was TM, i'd be tempted to trigger a NCV myself. She surely has the numbers outside of the ERG to win it.

No and that is how you know this is all spin and mind games. Theresa May would almost certainly lose a confidence vote which is why she (or her proxies) won't call one. The Brexiteers would almost certainly lose the leadership election that followed, which is why they won't put the letters in.
    It would be a mistake for TM to launch a VNC, it would confirm suspicions she was on the edge. Which of course she is, but appearances matter.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    You mean John baron might not be representative of the Parliamentary party?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Indeed. I was a big David Cameron fan until that day in February 2016 when he returned from the “negotiations” with not a fig leaf, but tried to tell us all that he’d got the world’s best deal ever, yet it couldn’t be put in writing until after we’d voted to remain. He thought we’d all happily vote to remain, but completely misread the national mood and the willingness of lots of people who considered themselves left-behind to vote to kick the government.

I believe I was in intensive care at that time, so in comparison it didn't seem all that bad. ;)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Personally just that, but I note lots of our remain colleges have been telling me our influence and smart politicians means that ever closer union is off the agenda .
    Ever closer union has not been off the table since the Treaty of Rome was signed in 1957. The fact that the EU is a ratchet was a factor in many a Leave vote, mine included. They have every intention of being a United States of Europe, only without the democratic accountability seen in the USA.
    Wrong. Those that in favour of such are the equivalent of our ERG. They are headbangers and were very much in decline. If this was the reason for your vote, you, like many others were massively mislead
    Did you hear what J-C Drunker had to say this morning? It’s very clear that the direction of travel is of ever more Europe, and a Europe that is increasingly inward-looking and protectionist, despite being a rapidly-falling proportion of the world’s economy. The opportunities of the next few decades lie outside Europe, they are in Asia, Africa and South America.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I think that were he still to be alive Dickens might describe the idea of a positive outcome Brexit as being as dead as a coffin-nail
    Door nail actually. Dead as a door nail.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

rkrkrk said:

I mean yesterday the ERG said they’d abolish all standards for imports/exports but since before the referendum there’d be no weakening of standards.

It's not about wargaming, it's about preliminary preparation like when the PM turns up on day 1 post referendum result you can give him (and Cameron did promise to stay after all) a list of decisions and trade-offs he needs to make, rather than spending the next X months working out what the key issues are, and boxing yourself into red lines that turn out to be problematic.

Ah right, so you were running scared of Nigel Farage.

Not exactly a recommendartion for Cameronite skills is it ?
  • Options

matt said:

TOPPING said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Are JRM's views on abortion about him being a Christian? Or is just his own personal view?

I don't recall him saying "in the eyes of God" or something similar.
    Jacob Rees-Mogg spoke on Radio 4’s Westminster Hour on Sunday. He said of the same-sex marriage bill vote this Tuesday: “I’m not under any pressure. I’m a Roman Catholic and have made it clear to my constituents that in this sort of matter I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church rather than the Whip’s Office.”

And abortion?
    Can we not adduce that the Roman Catholic church might also profess not to like adultery?
    Quite keen on single men and schoolboys though.
    And the Sun rotating around the Earth.
    If you are referring to the Galileo incident, there was no clear scientific consensus at the time. Tycho Brahe, one of the finest observational astronomers in history, thought that if the Earth was moving he should be able to see stellar parallax as he assumed that stars were much closer than we now know that are.
    Added to which Galileo went out of his way to annoy the pope by making him look like an idiot.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329

Nigelb said:

There is, and never will be a a commons majority for a hard Brexit. The ERG are in fantasy land.

In many respects they are quite similar to Corbyn/McDonald; they want to tear down the economy and rebuild from the rubble.
    Nah, completely different belief systems.

Jezza and co believe in the Magic Money Tree.

ERG believe in unicorns.

There was a hundred year war over smaller religious differences.
    LOL.
    I did say 'many respects', not all.
  • Options

No, it wasn't.

I would like to know if, post-Brexit, he will be returning to the UK to live in the paradise he is so passionate about.

TBF, it is a question that could be asked of other "remote Leavers" who urge a risky course (Brexit) from the safety of their ex-pat bunkers
    I’ll be back, as soon as I can easily get a visa for my wife to join me.
  • Options
    "They envisaged their control being the control of a diner in a Michelin-starred restaurant, regally ordering from the menu and loftily sending back dishes that were not to their liking"

A nice effort at implying Leave was a victory for the types who eat at Michelin-starred restaurants! As it happens it has turned out to be a case of ordering an omelette in a café, only for the establishment to say they are too scared to break any eggs.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Sandpit said:

Once again Mr Alanbrooke you either intentionally or unintentionally misunderstand Europe. Ever closer union is a bullshit phrase. It has no beginning and no end and is open to massive interpretation. There are those that want a super-state, there are many many that do not. It will only happen if the heads of government (the Council of Ministers) from members agree it to be so.

Yes, qualified majority voting and all that, but there really is no concrete evidence of a serious prospect of a super-state with sovereignty. The Eu will continue to be a supra-national organisation only. Sorry to shatter your enjoyment of your negative outlook.
    My position is quite conisitent I believe what European politicians have been saying for the last 60 years and what they have delivered in that timeframe. The direction of travel is clear.

UK politicans hiding behind nonsense like influence and denying the facts dont convince.
    They don't convince you because you like to be convinced by misleading nonsense. We have had massive influence, though it was mainly Mrs Thatcher. The single market is her construct. The expansion of the EU to Eastern Europe to dilute French and German influence. De-nationalised monopolies across Europe from British influence. British influence creating regulations on prevention of government intervention leading to unbalanced competition (largely hated by the French in particular). Prevention of regulations restricting the financial transactions of the City.

The list is endless, but you are in denial because you worship at the altar of small minded nationalism

Juncker et al want a United States of Europe. They are willing to lie, bend the rules, be creative, salami slice, ignore votes, rerun votes till they get the "right" answer. They are prepared to be patient.

I don't want to be part of it.

Everything else is noise.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

No, it wasn't.

I don't recall seeing that statement on my ballot paper, so I doubt it was on those who voted self-harm
    If you want to talk self-harm, where was it ever on my ballot paper that we could amputate chunks of our democracy under the EU surgeon's knife?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ever closer union has not been off the table since the Treaty of Rome was signed in 1957. The fact that the EU is a ratchet was a factor in many a Leave vote, mine included. They have every intention of being a United States of Europe, only without the democratic accountability seen in the USA.
    Wrong. Those that in favour of such are the equivalent of our ERG. They are headbangers and were very much in decline. If this was the reason for your vote, you, like many others were massively mislead
    Did you hear what J-C Drunker had to say this morning? It’s very clear that the direction of travel is of ever more Europe, and a Europe that is increasingly inward-looking and protectionist, despite being a rapidly-falling proportion of the world’s economy. The opportunities of the next few decades lie outside Europe, they are in Asia, Africa and South America.
    Yes and no. Opportunities in far-off lands are all well and good but most of our trade will continue to be with Europe simply because it is closest.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Anyhoo you won, deal with it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329
    edited September 2018

Sandpit said:

His lucid explication of the law could equally apply to Brexit, and its proponents.
    “The one great principle of the English law is, to make business for itself. There is no other principle distinctly, certainly, and consistently maintained through all its narrow turnings. Viewed by this light it becomes a coherent scheme, and not the monstrous maze the laity are apt to think it. Let them but once clearly perceive that its grand principle is to make business for itself at their expense, and surely they will cease to grumble.”
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

You mean your day job isn't coming up with groan inducing puns?
    Who knew
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It will be interesting to see exactly where the compromise ends up. I agree with you that we should have done the negotiations the other way around, starting with completely out and ending up at a CETA-type agreement. The opportunity lies in being able to convince Barnier to drop his backstop bollocks and go with what’s purely a trade agreement - which I think is quite possible after a transition period.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Theres not much to deal with Im getting pretty much what I voted for
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Sandpit said:

No, it wasn't.

Good for you :+1:

It will be interesting to see how many others will return. Surely your wife can just return as she is your spouse and you will have documentation that you are indeed married, etc? At this point the UK is still bound by EU rules and a non-EU national married to an EU national has right of entry.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    A good article from Alastair.

I'm baffled as to what the ERG's gameplan actually is. Never mind the point that they don't know what they want - that's a minor point - the bigger issue is that they don't know how to get it. Steve Baker said the other day that If the government tried to push through a Brexit deal through the Commons, on the back of Labour votes, the Tory Party "would suffer the catastrophic split which thus far we have managed to avoid". He might be right, but of course the corollary is also true: is he going to defeat whatever deal is put to parliament on the back of Labour (and LibDem and SNP and other strong Remainer) votes? For that matter, what conceivable calculation could lead to the conclusion that voting down the deal would lead to a result even more remote from what the majority of MPs want?

It just doesn't add up; the ERG rebels are drunk on their own rebellion. If they don't back down the overwhelming likelihood is that Article 50 will be delayed, and that thereafter we will end up with a much softer Brexit, or possibly no Brexit at all. Oh, and a Corbyn government to boot, quite probably.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes and no. Opportunities in far-off lands are all well and good but most of our trade will continue to be with Europe simply because it is closest.
    There will always be an amount of trade with our closest neighbours, that is true, but the direction of travel is clear.

• Options

Sandpit said:

I believe I was in intensive care at that time, so in comparison it didn't seem all that bad. ;)
    Maybe you had other things on your mind at the time! Glad you recovered :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited September 2018
    Most likely the withdrawal agreement to get the transition period ends up being mirroring the single market and customs union regulations essentially with a work permit or study place on arrival requirement, the only way to Leave with a Deal of some form with the EU and gain a token control of free movement and avoid a border in the Irish Sea unacceptable to the DUP
  • Options

If you are referring to the Galileo incident, there was no clear scientific consensus at the time. Tycho Brahe, one of the finest observational astronomers in history, thought that if the Earth was moving he should be able to see stellar parallax as he assumed that stars were much closer than we now know that are.
    Added to which Galileo went out of his way to annoy the pope by making him look like an idiot.

In any case, the Catholic church has since dropped heliocentrism from its proscribed list and several Popes have apologised for how he was treated, but the planned statue to Galileo that was to be erected within the Vatican has been kicked into the long grass.
  • Options
    real ding dong in the Bundestag with name calling shouting and accusations

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/haushaltsdebatte-im-bundestag-und-dann-platzt-martin-schulz-der-kragen-15783755.html

Chemnitz raising the temperature of AfD versus the government
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

There will always be an amount of trade with our closest neighbours, that is true, but the direction of travel is clear.

I much prefer the second graph: I’m not keen on graphs that don’t show the origin. Unless they are log graphs of course...
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?
  • Options
    On topic: are we sure that the ERG are not closet Remainers? Everything they have done so far seems calculated to make me feel that I was, after all, correct to vote Remain. They are acting like the opposition and if they continue to do so I’m sure the electorate will make it true.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Most of our trade is already to outside of the EU. Most means over 50% and the EU's share of our trade is already below 50% and falling still.

That's before we even grasp any post-brexit opportunities.
  • Options

I'm baffled as to what the ERG's gameplan actually is. Never mind the point that they don't know what they want - that's a minor point - the bigger issue is that they don't know how to get it. Steve Baker said the other day that If the government tried to push through a Brexit deal through the Commons, on the back of Labour votes, the Tory Party "would suffer the catastrophic split which thus far we have managed to avoid". He might be right, but of course the corollary is also true: is he going to defeat whatever deal is put to parliament on the back of Labour (and LibDem and SNP and other strong Remainer) votes? For that matter, what conceivable calculation could lead to the conclusion that voting down the deal would lead to a result even more remote from what the majority of MPs want?

It just doesn't add up; the ERG rebels are drunk on their own rebellion. If they don't back down the overwhelming likelihood is that Article 50 will be delayed, and that thereafter we will end up with a much softer Brexit, or possibly no Brexit at all. Oh, and a Corbyn government to boot, quite probably.

Pretty much. The problem is possibly that NO form of Brexit can get through parliment. Not enough votes for Hard Brexit, and not enough votes for No Brexit.

Which leaves us in a fudgy position in the middle where May (and Corbyn maybe) are operating.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Sandpit said:

?

No, it wasn't.

It will be interesting to see how many others will return. Surely your wife can just return as she is your spouse and you will have documentation that you are indeed married, etc? At this point the UK is still bound by EU rules and a non-EU national married to an EU national has right of entry.
    You’re nearly right.

A non-EU national married to a non-British EU National has the right of residence in the U.K. A non-EU national married to a Brit doesn’t.

If I was French, she’d be allowed to reside with me in the U.K. unequivocally, but because I’m British she can’t. That’s how screwed up our immigration system has become.

She’s a qualified teacher of English in Ukraine, she’d walk into a job as a teacher of Russian in a private school in U.K. for probably £40k salary, a net contributor even if she wasn’t my wife.

(And there’s no gliders in Dubai).
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

You mean your day job isn't coming up with groan inducing puns?
    Who knew
    I wrote a Brexit related report that included pretty much R.E.M.’s greatest hits.

Delighted to get in Shiny Happy People in.
  • Options

On topic: are we sure that the ERG are not closet Remainers? Everything they have done so far seems calculated to make me feel that I was, after all, correct to vote Remain. They are acting like the opposition and if they continue to do so I’m sure the electorate will make it true.

They're certainly pushing myself there too.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491

Sandpit said:

No, it wasn't.

I believe Mrs Sandpit is non EU, so it is government policy to keep her out if possible, not that it is very good at meeting its tens of thousands target.
  • Options
    The optics of this ERG Irish border presentation are appalling. It’s the launch of John Redwood’s leadership all over again.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

It's not about wargaming, it's about preliminary preparation li out to be problematic.

Nah.

Total chaos?

rkrkrk said:

It's not about warg out to be problematic.

Nah.

Total chaos?
    no thats only on here where the 5% at either end of the spectrum yell at each other and ignore the shades of opinion of the 90% in between

I voted for a soft brexit, continued trade but a guarantee of no further integration. Thats what we will end up with on current trends.

That the voted ended Osborne's career was a bonus

• Options

In any case, the Catholic church has since dropped heliocentrism from its proscribed list and several Popes have apologised for how he was treated, but the planned statue to Galileo that was to be erected within the Vatican has been kicked into the long grass.
    The modern Big Bang theory was first propounded by a priest, Georges Lemaître.

I’m glad about the statue: I’m not a fan of Galileo.
  • Options
    JRM and David Davis both endorse TM as PM saying she is a good PM and they only disagree with her on this one issue
  • Options

JRM and David Davis both endorse TM as PM saying she is a good PM and they only disagree with her on this one issue

In fact on the Irish border they seem to agree with her. (They are right, as well).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Isn't it, vote leave, something, something, something, everything is fine and dandy with one of our mates in power...
  • Options
    Is the ERG Group, including Nobel prize winner Lord Trimble and David Davis, currently refuting Mr Meek's Blog?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I much prefer the second graph: I’m not keen on graphs that don’t show the origin. Unless they are log graphs of course...
    I don’t disagree, but it was the first one I found. The direction of travel is clear enough, UK exports to the EU have dropped from c. 55% to c. 45% in the last 15 years.
  • Options

The optics of this ERG Irish border presentation are appalling. It’s the launch of John Redwood’s leadership all over again.

Authenticity rules.
  • Options

No it is not
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

It's not about wargaming, it's about preliminary preparation li out to be problematic.

Nah.

Total chaos?

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?
    no thats only on here where the 5% at either end of the spectrum yell at each other and ignore the shades of opinion of the 90% in between

I voted for a soft brexit, continued trade but a guarantee of no further integration. Thats what we will end up with on current trends.

"I voted for a soft brexit, continued trade but a guarantee of no further integration."
    Didn't see that on the voting paper.
    That's the problem, it wasn't clear what was being voted for so lots of minorities were able to vote 'Leave' and together get a small majority.It's why they can't come up with a plan now and that's why we need a People's Vote.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?

You could not have voted for a "Soft Brexit" - the ballot only had "Leave" or "Stay" (and is possibly the most accurate thing about the whole Brexit process)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited September 2018

I've always seen the ERG as an internal pressure group - it is loyal to the party and Euroscepticism if not necessarily always the leadership. As evidence, the securing of amendments to the British Withdrawal Bill that prevented any 'softer than Chequers' compromises,

Their power, pre and post referendum, lies in pressurising the Government to secure tactical advantage. Their strength is that they can create an almighty issue for the Government and feasibly bring down the leader (by voting down legislation, rather than triggering either a leadership ballot or general election).

In short, I therefore don't see a right wing revolt on the final deal. But I suspect there will be lots more episodes of push back by the ERG. Moving towards Canada Plus is the current position. Given the ERG has secured at least partial victory in pretty much every engagement it has taken part in, and that Chequers is not going to be acceptable to the EU, I suspect more movement will be secured here.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?

You could not have voted for a "Soft Brexit" - the ballot only had "Leave" or "Stay" (and is possibly the most accurate thing about the whole Brexit process)

Osborne will come to be regarded as a hero of Brexit. without his cunning wheeze of targeting LD seats in 2015, Dave would never have had the majority to call a referendum. I agree that he sacrificed himself too is a bonus.
  • Options

The modern Big Bang theory was first propounded by a priest, Georges Lemaître.

I’m glad about the statue: I’m not a fan of Galileo.
    I'm sorry about the statue. I'm not a big fan of religion. Lemaitre's saving grace was that he lived in a age when burning at the stake for heresy was outlawed.

I also find it highly amusing that Mendel (father of genetic theory) was a monk and Darwin started priestly training before going on HMS Beagle. Together the pair of them provided the basis for Evolution which seems to drive many extreme religious types to distraction :D
  • Options
    edited September 2018

It is the only issue in Government today though!
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?
    no thats only on here where the 5% at

I took my own view on the likely outcome since the politicians couldnt arrticulate one, its shorthand for

1. I believed we'd always have a trading relationship with the EU and that out wouldnt be that much different from in in trade terms
    2. Im not that worried about EU conributions as long as theyre doing something useful
    3. once out we can decide what and how we wish to devlop our trade
    4. a kick up the backside is what is needed to change our complacent establishment
    5. I didnt believe any of the "guarantees" on further integration

• Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

No, it wasn't.

I believe Mrs Sandpit is non EU, so it is government policy to keep her out if possible, not that it is very good at meeting its tens of thousands target.
    Indeed. The government pretty much treats all non-EU wives as if they were arranged marriages among teenagers, they don’t understand that people might go away for a few years and fall in love. Plenty of stories around of Australian and Canadian spouses with the same problem, we all feel that we were swept up in the net of legislation designed to discourage subcontinental marriage practices and immigration scams.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

"I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade"

This was the Dickensian quote to which I referred
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

No, it wasn't.

Indeed. The government pretty much treats all non-EU wives as if they were arranged marriages among teenagers, they don’t understand that people might go away for a few years and fall in love. Plenty of stories around of Australian and Canadian spouses with the same problem, we all feel that we were swept up in the net of legislation designed to discourage subcontinental marriage practices and immigration scams.
    Is it not worse than that? Is it not the case that our government can do this to you but not EU nationals who are not from the UK?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?
    no thats only on here where thet trends.

"I voted for a soft brexit, continued trade but a guarantee of no further integration."
    Didn't see that on the voting paper.
    That's the problem, it wasn't clear what was being voted for so lots of minorities were able to vote 'Leave' and together get a small majority.It's why they can't come up with a plan now and that's why we need a People's Vote.
    thats one side of the equation, the other side was Remain couldnt present anything on what staying in meant

so Leave confusion = Remain confusion -4%
  • Options
    The impression the ERG give is that they will fight their cause but they will not bring down TM or risk the government falling
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    edited September 2018

I took my own view on the likely outcome since the politicians couldnt arrticulate one, its shorthand for

1. I believed we'd always have a trading relationship with the EU and that out wouldnt be that much different from in in trade terms
    2. Im not that worried about EU conributions as long as theyre doing something useful
    4. a kick up the backside is what is needed to change our complacent establishment

You’re certainly not getting number 3 based on the current plan, nor number 5 given the government’s continuing willingness to join new integrationist moves.
  • Options

The impression the ERG give is that they will fight their cause but they will not bring down TM or risk the government falling

so much ado about nothing
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?

rkrkrk said:

Nah.

Total chaos?

What a nice chap you are. Osborne still looks quite busy, and possibly better paid than yow, and I am sure if he ever reads your posts he is unlikely to speak highly of you either.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

No, it wasn't.

Is it not worse than that? Is it not the case that our government can do this to you but not EU nationals who are not from the UK?
    This is correct. UK citizens have to go through the UK spousal visa process which costs thousands of pounds and takes 5 years to get permanent residency. EU non-UK citizens can use the EEA family permit route, which is free.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited September 2018
    Due to have some major bowel surgery at the RVI in Newcastle on Friday. Quite nervous but I’m in very good hands. My surgeon and other NHS staff have been/are fantastic.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Due to have some major bowel surgery at the RVI in Newcastle on Friday. Quite nervous but I’m in very good hands. My surgeon and other NHS staff have been/are fantastic.

Good luck.
  • Options

I did not believe any guarantees about further integration either, but the shambolic ineptitude of Westminster has changed my mind to believing that maybe neutering nation parliaments to a degree may not be a bad thing. It is highly amusing that Corbyn appears to support Brexit because getting rid of EU influence will let him indulge his more madcap schemes.

I totally agree about the kick up the backside for the Establishment.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

No, it wasn't.

Correct. If either of us were Romanian or Maltese it wouldn’t be a problem.
  • Options

You’re certainly not getting number 3 based on the current plan, nor number 5 given the government’s continuing willingness to join new integrationist moves.

on Number 3 thats what Dev told Michael Collins, Collins won the argument

on 5 if the majority of the UK population decide they want to make major consitiutional change thats fine, put it to a vote. Ignoring the voters is the big mistake integrationsist have consistently made and why theyre struggling to build a demos
  • Options

so much ado about nothing
    No that was a Shakespearean comedy. The ERG are just a comic part of a tragedy
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    welshowl said:

Good luck.
    Thank you. I’m certainly getting my tax moneys worth! :smiley:
  • Options

I did not believe any guarantees about further integration either, but the shambolic ineptitude of Westminster has changed my mind to believing that maybe neutering nation parliaments to a degree may not be a bad thing. It is highly amusing that Corbyn appears to support Brexit because getting rid of EU influence will let him indulge his more madcap schemes.

I always prefer politicans having a limited remit and decision making as close to the voters as is practical.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Hope everything goes well and best wishes for a swift recovery.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Most of our trade is already to outside of the EU. Most means over 50% and the EU's share of our trade is already below 50% and falling still.

Europe, including countries outside the EU, is closest so I expect that will be where most of our trade is. Even outside the EU, Norway is closer than Chile or Thailand.
  • Options

They could be acting as very useful idiots in Mrs May’s negotiations with the EU (and more importantly the EU27 leaders) though. She can make it quite clear that any deal that makes us a vassal state would result in her being replaced with Boris, who’d argue for no deal and go over the cliff edge - which would seriously damage the EU economy.
  • Options

All the very best
  • Options

Fingers crossed - every best wish for the finest outcome.
  • Options

Hope it all goes well for you.
  • Options

Osborne will come to be regarded as a hero of Brexit. without his cunning wheeze of targeting LD seats in 2015, Dave would never have had the majority to call a referendum. I agree that he sacrificed himself too is a bonus.

I am not sure what to think of Osborne. Cameron, OTOH, is the sort that gives "posh-boys" a bad rep.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Europe, including countries outside the EU, is closest so I expect that will be where most of our trade is. Even outside the EU, Norway is closer than Chile or Thailand.
    You may expect it but you are wrong. Statistics show most of our trade is to outside the EU. And that's while we are reaping the supposed benefits of full membership and without exercising any independent deals.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

?

This is correct. UK citizens have to go through the UK spousal visa process which costs thousands of pounds and takes 5 years to get permanent residency. EU non-UK citizens can use the EEA family permit route, which is free.
    Yup! :+1:

The other big spanner in the works is the salary requirement, which can’t take into account earnings outside the U.K.
  • Options

..except that Mr Alanbrookes two favourite "anti-establishment" figures are both millionaire old-Etonians. It is so representative of the intellectual convulsions you would have to go through if you had half a brain to support Brexit. It is like the very worst type of religious zealotry.
  • Options

I always prefer politicans having a limited remit and decision making as close to the voters as is practical.
    I am pleased that you have come round to the idea of more regular referendums. When should we have the next one on the stupidity of Brexit?
  • Options
    Good morning (again), everyone.

There was an interesting line someone else had, that a referendum should be held when the government seeks a specific change, the alternative being the status quo.

A problem with it, however, is when the status quo is changed by tiny increments, over a long period of time. How can that be redressed otherwise?

Part of that is down to when the centre ground of politics has no common ground with the electorate. I'm sure many would like to see foreign aid slashed and the money spent here instead. But the political class like it. And so it stays.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

"I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade"

"But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for"

Stick to doornails!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,818
    edited September 2018
    Morning all :)

Thank you for an excellent piece, Antifrank. As someone who voted LEAVE for a number of reasons, I was well aware the LEAVE Coalition was a widely disparate group united on only one thing. The truth was to make it work elements of said Coalition would have to compromise whether it be on global trade, freedom of movement, the status of Northern Ireland or whatever.

I have been profoundly disappointed by that inability or at best unwillingness to compromise. The buccaneering notion of "Global Britain" was always (for this observer) predicated on a deregulated low-tax pro-business environment which while good for some was likely to be sub-optimal for many. I have always said I have no desire to live in Singapore-on-Thames.

My preferences have long been a return to EFTA membership and a series of Swiss-style bilateral treaties with the EU within which we can resolve issues like freedom of movement, the passporting of financial services and Northern Ireland.

I can't believe the architects of the LEAVE campaign were so arrogant to believe that if the UK turned up to negotiations and started shouting, the EU would simply roll over and give us everything we wanted. There was so much expectation management around all the benefits we would supposedly get that no one seemed to realise that in a negotiation an element of compromise is required.

Some LEAVE people thought we would be like Montgomery dealing with Admiral von Friedeburg on Luneburg Heath but instead the UK has seemed like a group of Titanic passengers arguing over which song the orchestra should play next as the ship sinks.

The EU has indulged our internal machinations and of course has come to realise it will suffer if there is no deal. There is a time and a place for brinkmanship and sometimes, just sometimes, it pays off but are the pain and uncertainty "a price worth paying" as someone once said?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

..except that Mr Alanbrookes two favourite "anti-establishment" figures are both millionaire old-Etonians. It is so representative of the intellectual convulsions you would have to go through if you had half a brain to support Brexit. It is like the very worst type of religious zealotry.
    Suggest you google "Not Everyone Thinks Exactly the Same As You Do" Support Group and watch the Tracey Ullman sketch
  • Options

Good luck and best wishes :+1:
  • Options

Sandpit said:

"But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for"

Stick to doornails!
    Thank you M/Mme TresDifficile for finishing the quote. It is quite apposite is it not?
  • Options
    edbedb Posts: 65
    Our trade with the EU and non-EU is (mostly) qualitatively different.
    I fully accept that EU is edging downwards in importance, albeit very slowly, but at the moment that is mostly because of exponential growth in emerging economies who can make us cheap stuff in return for western luxuries.

We are (mostly) not going to divert our Irish and French imports and exports to a Chinese or Brazilian container ship, it's a total fallacy that there is a big choice to be made there. Even if there was, it is a really long term thing.

Any sane UK government would of course be aiming to maximise both EU and non-EU trade opportunities. Unfortunate, then, that this doesn't seem to be the policy of any of our politicians.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

?

The other big spanner in the works is the salary requirement, which can’t take into account earnings outside the U.K.
    Could she "temporarily" emigrate to some other EU country with easier rules and gain residency there? Then moving to the UK would be simple...
  • Options

I am not sure what to think of Osborne. Cameron, OTOH, is the sort that gives "posh-boys" a bad rep.
    My late father who was a Lib/LD voter used to talk about certain tory MP's having what he called a 'smug git' quality about them. Osborne had that by the bucket load. A none Tory MP with it is Keith Vaz
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Suggest you google "Not Everyone Thinks Exactly the Same As You Do" Support Group and watch the Tracey Ullman sketch
    No need, perfectly aware of that. 52% don't. Doesn't stop me thinking they are wrong or taking the piss out of those who in spite of overwhelming evidence still try to convince themselves and others that there was some logic to their decision and/or it had nothing to do with xenophobia
  • Options

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

?

Could she "temporarily" emigrate to some other EU country with easier rules and gain residency there? Then moving to the UK would be simple...
    Not particularly practical if you don't speak the language, and in any case may not be possible after Brexit anyway! The treatment of UK citizens who have the temerity to marry someone from outside the EU is a disgrace.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

No, it wasn't.

Who are you to tell British citizens who pay UK taxes where they should live - regardless of how they voted?
This discussion has been closed.