Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Twisting on 17: the hardline Leavers’ great gamble

1235»

Comments

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Osborne will come to be regarded as a hero of Brexit. without his cunning wheeze of targeting LD seats in 2015, Dave would never have had the majority to call a referendum. I agree that he sacrificed himself too is a bonus.

I am not sure what to think of Osborne. Cameron, OTOH, is the sort that gives "posh-boys" a bad rep.
    My late father who was a Lib/LD voter used to talk about certain tory MP's having what he called a 'smug git' quality about them. Osborne had that by the bucket load. A none Tory MP with it is Keith Vaz
    you have plenty to pick from for sure
    "The alleged fiddler" doesn't look smug at all of course
    Pray tell who are you referring to in your cretinous comment instead of being a nasty Tory coward?
    You are now talking gibberish which is another symptom of fascists. No idea what you are talking about, but I guess if you are accusing me of cowardice you are suggesting you would like a fight, which again would beautifully fit with the stereotype? You really need to go and take a chill pill rather than drinking during the early afternoon.
    Go away you half witted dullard.
    Haha. More evidence. Nationalism is the philosophy of the dullard. A moron's creed that is probably mainly adhered to by those with sexual problems. A belief-set that is founded on the unsupported notion that "my nation is better than yours". At best, it is stupid at worst downright evil. You are in no position to accuse anyone of stupidity. Heil Salmond!
    Getting into a turnip throwing contest with malcolm is not a sensible or productive activity.
    No, but it is fun. Nationalism is a poisonous creed, and he rises to the bait every time, so I have no sympathy
    You really are a thick tw*t. No-one is rising to your bait moron, I am pissing myself laughing at your pathetic witless stupidity. Go squeeze your plooks or do your homework.
    lol
  • Sandpit said:

Not often I say this, but good on Tom Watson:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45495384

Fair play to him, that’s a serious amount of weight he’s lost.
    Amazing what a gastric band can do
    From what I can see on the internet he didn't have a gastric band.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

It's difficult to lose that much weight without it affecting your appearance but Tom Watson seems to have managed it which is a great achievement.
    Apparently he bathes in vinegar, which contracts the skin and thus avoids the excess folds seen on fat->skinny people.
    Is that really a thing? The logistics of it must be quite difficult - where do you get the tens of litres that would be needed for each bath, can it be reused (yuck!) preferably not for food (double yuck!), how often is it required and how long for, etc.
    Some use malt vinegar as it doubles-up as a tanning lotion. Red wine vinegar gives a deeper tan but costs a bloody fortune! Spirit vinegar is the option most used, though, as you can buy it cheaply and in 20-litre tubs. Worth investing in a funnel to put in back in the container and reuse it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

A net migration target has always seemed daft to me. But keeping out people who use forced marriages to get residency seems eminently sensible, indeed desirable, to me. The primary purpose rule was designed to do just that and some version of it should be reintroduced IMO. If properly designed and implemented it should not catch the Mrs Sandpits of this world.

Disagree - the primary purpose is the net migration target, and in discouraging the Sandpits from returning it is working exactly as intended.
    Except that Mr Sandpit is an IT consultant who’d be a higher-rate taxpayer in the U.K., and Mrs Sandpit is a teacher, could be a private tutor or translator.

There’s no chance whatsoever that we wouldn’t be net contributors to the Exchequer, but immigration policy revolves around either the EU or residents bringing in wives from abroad.
  • Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

It's difficult to lose that much weight without it affecting your appearance but Tom Watson seems to have managed it which is a great achievement.
    Apparently he bathes in vinegar, which contracts the skin and thus avoids the excess folds seen on fat->skinny people.
    Is that really a thing? The logistics of it must be quite difficult - where do you get the tens of litres that would be needed for each bath, can it be reused (yuck!) preferably not for food (double yuck!), how often is it required and how long for, etc.
    I was interested in that comment but I couldn't find anything about the skin contraction. Quite a few references to the usual alternative health bollocks about restoring the pH balance of the skin by adding a couple of cups (so about half a pint) to a bath (which would be a dilution factor of roughly 250-1 I think).
  • Sandpit said:

One of my PAs was hypnotised to believe that she had a gastric band. It worked: she lost a huge amount of weight.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,482

Sandpit said:

Good on him!

The Newcastle diet has quite a good Diabetes cure rate:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

Obviously cutting down on calories causes weight loss, but there does seem to be an additional effect of eight weeks of 800 calories on resetting the pancreatic thermostat. I did it last year and it is pretty tough, but lost 10 Kg and have kept it off. The first week is the toughest.

1 down, about 3 million to go...
    edited September 2018

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

I was interested in that comment but I couldn't find anything about the skin contraction. Quite a few references to the usual alternative health bollocks about restoring the pH balance of the skin by adding a couple of cups (so about half a pint) to a bath (which would be a dilution factor of roughly 250-1 I think).
    Sorry. Feeling impish and made it up. I throw myself on your collective mercy!

FAKE NEWS!!
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Cyclefree said:

Far too much political debate seems to be at a 60,000 foot level ("we're in favour of freedom and fairness and sunny days") rather than at the practical down-to-earth level. There is above all a lack of substance amongst our politicians. Maybe we need a few think tanks to do, you know, thinking?

I started typing a reply but I am a bit grumpy today and the reply was getting out of hand, so I think I will pack up before I start expressing how I really feel on certain topics.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

A net migration target has always seemed daft to me. But keeping out people who use forced marriages to get residency seems eminently sensible, indeed desirable, to me. The primary purpose rule was designed to do just that and some version of it should be reintroduced IMO. If properly designed and implemented it should not catch the Mrs Sandpits of this world.

Disagree - the primary purpose is the net migration target, and in discouraging the Sandpits from returning it is working exactly as intended.
    Except that Mr Sandpit is an IT consultant who’d be a higher-rate taxpayer in the U.K., and Mrs Sandpit is a teacher, could be a private tutor or translator.

There’s no chance whatsoever that we wouldn’t be net contributors to the Exchequer, but immigration policy revolves around either the EU or residents bringing in wives from abroad.
    The target doesn't care whether you're a millionaire or a pauper, it's number of people in - number of people out. I quite agree that the chancellor would be much better off with your family in the country, sadly the conservative party doesn't see it the same way.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Sorry. Feeling impish and made it it. I throw myself on your collective mercy!

FAKE NEWS!!
    So what am I supposed to do with all this vinegar?? Suspect I could make a dent in it by going to the chippy every day, but that might have the opposite effect ;)
  • Anorak said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

FAKE NEWS!!
    You did it so well that I can certainly forgive you.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

A mixture of salt and vinegar can be used as an improvised treatment for crabs.
  • I wonder how many of her colleagues would follow her? And how many would be happy to join Jacob Rees-Mogg and Peter Bone in voting against it?
  • Blimey Malcolmmg, you sound just like a UKipper. But then there isn't a lot of difference is there? Keep up the good work on getting purity north of the border. Thankfully there are enough decent less prejudiced Scots who see the SNP for exactly what you are. Now I will do some work. I have to contribute to the UK economy so we can keep subsidising the regions
  • RobD said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

FAKE NEWS!!
    So what am I supposed to do with all this vinegar?? Suspect I could make a dent in it by going to the chippy every day, but that might have the opposite effect ;)
    I'm currently using vinegar as a trap for flies that seem to have hatched from the compost I planted my chilli pepper seeds in.

Now I have more chilli peppers then I know what to do with.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    matt said:

felix said:

.... Your implication seems to be that if British citizens choose to live outside the UK that diminishes them in some way.I beg to differ. We have as much right as anyone to opine on matters pertaining to the UK as any other citizen - including even those with dual passports.

Those abroad are unlikely to undergo the full-Brexit experience. Because they are abroad. Those within the UK who argue for "Leave" have, in my view, a much stronger moral case than those arguing for it from afar.

My dual passport just makes travel easier. I am still living in the UK. I will get the full-on Brexit and, yes, I could move abroad, but why should I? This is where I have lived and worked and paid my taxes and where I had hoped to retire to.

Now I am wondering what sort of future faces me because no one seems to know. I have put in place as much as possible to mininize impacts on myself and my family so we have options that many others do not, but only thanks to my birthplace being where it was. Just the luck of the draw.
    I'm looking forward to Ireland introducing US-style global taxation of passport holders. You've got the passport, now have the 52% marginal rate tax....
    Very few US expats actually have to pay US income tax: there’s a ~$100k allowance for foreign-earned income available to those non-resident in the US, and then there’s a credit for all foreign taxes paid for those living in countries that the US has tax treaties with (which is most of the world).

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

FAKE NEWS!!
    I was about to go into it's use as an alternative flotation therapy to reverse ageing. But - unlike the Brexiteers - I couldn't bring myself to sustain the deception. :)
  • I wonder how many of her colleagues would follow her? And how many would be happy to join Jacob Rees-Mogg and Peter Bone in voting against it?
    We can treat her as a fairly reliable bellwether of a large strand of Labour thought, I'd expect. Labour will probably save any deal struck in Parliament. The bigger question is whether the deal will command any form of legitimacy in the country. The signs are not at all promising right now.
  • Curious: does anyone else here have a small, almost disinterested, appetite?

I've been eating a little more lately, but that's largely because my weight declined and I'd prefer not to be under 9st (those jaffa cakes at lunchtime are there entirely for health reasons).
  • Anorak said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

FAKE NEWS!!
    I think Watson went on a low carb. diet. No gastric band was needed. He was diagnosed with diabetes, something which should terrify anyone into changing their ways.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,144
    Anorak said:
    I wasn't able to go the Intelligence Squared debate on Corbyn last week - Chris Williamson was there speaking for his leader but this - https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/howard-jacobson-speech-intelligence-squared-1.469525 - is the case for the prosecution.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited September 2018
    We're awaiting the arrival of Hurricane Florence. It is currently a Cat 4 with sustained winds of 130mph. It should make landfall late Thursday - early Friday.

The threat from a hurricane is not just the category - it is also the size of the storm and the ground speed. This storm is huge, 500 miles wide, and is currently accelerating to 17mph. The bigger the storm, or the lower the speed, the greater the rainfall.

Currently it looks as if the storm will stall just offshore of NC, then make landfall and turn south. For those who want to know where it will make landfall, the Weather Channel's Jim Cantore is in Wrightsville Beach NC.

The barrier islands are going to get hit very hard.

We are expecting no more than 3-6 inches of rain and some wind here in the ATL. Forecasts for rain in the low country of the Carolinas is estimated in feet rather than inches.

This is a big one.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,144
    Dura_Ace said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

A mixture of salt and vinegar can be used as an improvised treatment for crabs.
    Crabs get obese and suffer from diabetes??
  • Mr Big G, he is angry because I made the rather obvious parallels between nationalism and fascism and the well known history of Nazi-sympathising of the SNP. Poor little man, he is the Celtic equivalent of a Gammon
  • Seems like the ERG have put forward a much saner solution to Northern Ireland than the ludicrous backstop. Let's hope it gets adopted and we can move on. Won't hold my breath.

It's not an alternative to the backstop. It's a proposal for what could be in a deal with the EU (which would obviate the need for a backstop, as would Chequers of course). Do keep up.

It's true that it's perfectly sane, albeit vague on the crucial point of issue:

- Initial full regulatory alignment, making goods unacceptable for sale in the Republic of Ireland equally unacceptable in Northern Ireland.

- Data-sharing and co-operation between authorities can raise suspected non-compliance or infringement speedily if regulations diverge

How can it be that DD didn't get agreement on this from our EU friends, if it's so easy?

Because Barnier would like us to keep NI in the Single Market and Customs Union and frustrate Brexit as a first preference. May showed every step of the way she would fold so why should he agree to it?

If the UK was wielding a fraction of the backbone Thatcher showed when she got the rebate he could and would agree to it.
    Ah, the old 'backbone' argument.

Maggie's backbone was immeasurably strengthened by the fact that at the time she had a veto on the EU budget. Theresa May is not lacking backbone - she's 'a bloody difficult woman', don't forget - but she has neither a veto, nor a particularly strong negotiating position, nor a commons majority, nor the support of some of her own MPs.

How on earth anyone thinks that in these circumstances she can simply brush aside anything inconvenient is extraordinary.
    May absolutely has a veto. There's no deal unless she agrees to it. But she's not willing to countenance walking away without a deal (despite lies to the contrary). Oh and let us not forget whose fault it is that she has no Commons majority. She did have one.
    I suppose that those Labour MPs who are not Corbynite true believers may feel that there time in the Commons is coming to an end regardless of what they might try to do to stand against the infighting now raging in the Labour party.

If they're going to be forced out anyway they may as well save the country from a no deal Brexit by voting for whatever Theresa May comes back from Brussels with, rather than siding with Corbyn's opportunism.

I really don't feel that Theresa May deserves their support. I feel that she has put party before country while PM. But, any port in a storm.

Maybe we will get through this after all.

Curious: does anyone else here have a small, almost disinterested, appetite?

I've been eating a little more lately, but that's largely because my weight declined and I'd prefer not to be under 9st (those jaffa cakes at lunchtime are there entirely for health reasons).

*looks at waistline*.... nope :(

:p
  • Mr Big G, he is angry because I made the rather obvious parallels between nationalism and fascism and the well known history of Nazi-sympathising of the SNP. Poor little man, he is the Celtic equivalent of a Gammon

A Square Sausage?
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

rkrkrk said:

Cyclefree said:

The target doesn't care whether you're a millionaire or a pauper, it's number of people in - number of people out. I quite agree that the chancellor would be much better off with your family in the country, sadly the conservative party doesn't see it the same way.
    Surely the key point is being able to pick and choose, rather than giving carte blanche to everyone in a particular group.

Mr and Mrs Sandpit being a case in point (from my understanding). Can't see, from what we know, that anyone is going to be very bothered at all about their living and working in the UK, because they will contribute and one is a UK citizen.

Sadly we have given effective open access to any school leaver from across Europe no matter what their lack of skills or ability to speak English, and ended up through the contortions of public policy (or so I understand from this thread) where Mr Sandpit can't bring Mrs Sandpit in precisely because he is British?

It's not right, and it's time it was reformed.

I'm currently using vinegar as a trap for flies that seem to have hatched from the compost I planted my chilli pepper seeds in.

The mashed up seeds are very good for the skin. ;)
  • malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Osborne will come to be regarded as a hero of Brexit. without his cunning wheeze of targeting LD seats in 2015, Dave would never have had the majority to call a referendum. I agree that he sacrificed himself too is a bonus.

I am not sure what to think of Osborne. Cameron, OTOH, is the sort that gives "posh-boys" a bad rep.
    My late father who was a Lib/LD voter used to talk about certain tory MP's having what he called a 'smug git' quality about them. Osborne had that by the bucket load. A none Tory MP with it is Keith Vaz
    Pray tell who are you referring to in your cretinous comment instead of being a nasty Tory coward?
    You are now talking gibberish which is another symptom of fascists. No idea what you are talking about, but I guess if you are accusing me of cowardice you are suggesting you would like a fight, which again would beautifully fit with the stereotype? You really need to go and take a chill pill rather than drinking during the early afternoon.
    Haha. More evidence. Nationalism is the philosophy of the dullard. A moron's creed that is probably mainly adhered to by those with sexual problems. A belief-set that is founded on the unsupported notion that "my nation is better than yours". At best, it is stupid at worst downright evil. You are in no position to accuse anyone of stupidity. Heil Salmond!
    Getting into a turnip throwing contest with malcolm is not a sensible or productive activity.
    No, but it is fun. Nationalism is a poisonous creed, and he rises to the bait every time, so I have no sympathy
    You really are a thick tw*t. No-one is rising to your bait moron, I am pissing myself laughing at your pathetic witless stupidity. Go squeeze your plooks or do your homework.
    lol
    He is even less articulate than you Alanbrooke. You nationalists have so much in common its amusing
  • Anorak said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Sorry. Feeling impish and made it up. I throw myself on your collective mercy!

FAKE NEWS!!
    Heh. ;)

It was a good one: there is so much alternative health and beauty 'bollocks' around that it sounded positively sane in comparison.

If twenty years ago I'd had to choose between 'bathing in vinegar stops baggy skin' and 'injecting botulism toxin tightens the skin', I'd have said the latter was the spoof ...
  • Anorak said:

The mashed up seeds are very good for the skin. ;)
    Especially around the nether regions...
  • RobD said:

I'm finding it next to impossible to get below 90kg, which puts me just in the 'normal' BMI split. My 'natural' weight appears to be 95kg, which is more or less in the middle of the 'overweight' split. I cannot see how I could ever reach the 'underweight' split without severe starvation.

Since I believe I'm fairly fit, I think BMI is a load of unadulterated bollox.

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

lol
    He is even less articulate than you Alanbrooke. You nationalists have so much in common its amusing
    ah Mr F if I said you were as thick as pigshit Id be doing an injustice to porcine bowel movements

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

lol
    ah Mr F if I said you were as thick as pigshit Id be doing an injustice to porcine bowel movements
    And how are you today, Visc. Two Tits? :smiley::p

malcolmg said:

lol
    Guys, stop it. It's like watching two killer whales toying with a seal.
  • RobD said:

I'm finding it next to impossible to get below 90kg, which puts me just in the 'normal' BMI split. My 'natural' weight appears to be 95kg, which is more or less in the middle of the 'overweight' split. I cannot see how I could ever reach the 'underweight' split without severe starvation.

Since I believe I'm fairly fit, I think BMI is a load of unadulterated bollox.
    BMI is good for looking at population trends, but is less helpful for individuals.

Someone like yourself, who regularly walks long distances, would be expected to be carrying more weight in leg muscles than the general population, so you wouldn't want to apply BMI rigidly.
  • May absolutely has a veto. There's no deal unless she agrees to it. But she's not willing to countenance walking away without a deal (despite lies to the contrary). Oh and let us not forget whose fault it is that she has no Commons majority. She did have one.

Sure it's largely her fault that she didn't get the mandate (though ultimate responsibility lies with the electorate, who declined to give it to her, for absurd reasons or for no reason). That doesn't alter the fact that she has no majority, and therefore cannot negotiate from a position of strength and stability. nor that changing leader won't help in the slightest. It is lazy and childish to speak of 'having backbone', as though this were some kind of Army selection test - though if it were, she'd pass with distinction for endurance!

As for walking away without a deal, it's not a realistic threat starting from here. We could have asked the EU to negotiate an orderly transition to WTO terms, although that would have been directly contrary to the promises of the Leave campaign, and of course would be disastrous for the car and aerospace industries, as they've repeatedly made clear, and it would still leave the problem of the Irish border.

Carefully weighing up the pros and cons, and a realistic assessment of our negotiating position, is exactly what she should be doing. 'Backbone' doesn't come in to it.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Costco
  • Sandpit said:

One of my PAs was hypnotised to believe that she had a gastric band. It worked: she lost a huge amount of weight.
    One of your PAs. How many do you have Mr M? We have to share one between 20.
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

lol
    And how are you today, Visc. Two Tits? :smiley::p
    happily working away Mr D
  • RobD said:

Very much so. I've been losing 1 kg per month, admittedly doing a lot of gardening since May, and the appetite just doesn't keep up. My BMI is now below 20.
  • Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:
    I wasn't able to go the Intelligence Squared debate on Corbyn last week - Chris Williamson was there speaking for his leader but this - https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/howard-jacobson-speech-intelligence-squared-1.469525 - is the case for the prosecution.
    Well worth reading that speech.
    edited September 2018

One of the interesting effects of the Newcastle diet was that after being ravenous for the first week, my appetite faded substantially. It is possible to train down an appetite, I believe, particularly by avoiding carbs and sweet stuff like diet cola.

BMI is not the whole story, as muscle can be healthy, but body fat percentage is harder to measure. Any PB engineer ought to be able to use the Archimedes principle to do this :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,238
    Foxy said:

One of the interesting effects of the Newcastle diet was that after being ravenous for the first week, my appetite faded substantially. It is possible to train down an appetite, I believe, particularly by avoiding carbs and sweet stuff like diet cola.

BMI is not the whole story, as muscle can be healthy, but body fat percentage is harder to measure. Any PB engineer ought to be able to use the Archimedes principle to do this :)

Sounds a bit like the test for witchcraft - if you sink, you're innocent.
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Agree that the Lisa Nandy comments are the most significant development today.

On the weight loss / maintenance debate, are there any other parkrunners on PB? It strikes me as a setup that might appeal to others here - free volunteer run 5km runs across the country on Saturday mornings? I get to my local one when I can and even turn 'tourist' when I'm away if I can. I find these keep me focussed on healthier choices than I might make otherwise.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,238
    Epitaph of the day...
    https://panoz.com/panoz/don-panoz/
    Sept. 11, 2018, Braselton, Ga. – In the early hours of this morning, Tuesday September 11, 2018, Don Panoz peacefully passed away at his home in Duluth, Georgia. After a short battle with pancreatic cancer, he enjoyed his last cigarette and said goodbye to the world in the early hours of the morning, surrounded by his loving family.
    Possibly most widely celebrated for saving sports car racing in North America or inventing the dermatological patch, ironically so for those that knew him and his smoking habits, the technology behind the nicotine patch, Panoz was a man known for questioning the norm. If someone told him ‘no’, he told them ‘yes’. This was the personality and the motivation behind the man, that can safely be said, has left a legacy of success and technological developments, not just in one industry, but across many.
    Starting out in the military, Panoz went on to enjoy a hugely successful career in the pharmaceutical industry. Alongside best friend and Co-Founder, Milan Puskar, Panoz co-founded Mylan Pharmaceuticals. When Panoz believed current technologies weren’t being challenged enough, the family moved to Ireland and built Élan Corporation, to continue the research and work in pharmaceuticals....
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018

We can treat her as a fairly reliable bellwether of a large strand of Labour thought, I'd expect. Labour will probably save any deal struck in Parliament. The bigger question is whether the deal will command any form of legitimacy in the country. The signs are not at all promising right now.

I find it very hard to assess both parts of what you say.

The calculation which the saner Labour MPs will have to make is difficult indeed: they won't want to be responsible for a chaotic and very damaging Brexit. OTOH, they won't want to help a Tory government out its hole - unless of course they see that as a step towards getting Labour free of the pox of Corbynism. But it would also stick in the craw to join Rees-Mogg and friends in the lobby. Too many variables to be easy to predict what they'll do.

On the legitimacy point, it might simply be that everyone other than the ultras on both sides will breathe a sigh of relief that it's over (even though it won't be).
  • Mr Anorak, they both have the combined intellect of a sea creature, but it isn't one at the top of the foodchain
    Foxy said:

how much did you rely on liquids ?
  • The CSU continue to suffer in Bavaria with the Greens in a clear second.
    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1039884546286731264
  • Mr. Jessop, I don't really pay attention to BMI, but my weight does seem almost entirely unrelated to either how much I eat (in my teens I went through a phase of trying to gain weight [I was 6.5st]) or how much I exercise.

That being said, I do have a small appetite, which seems quite unusual (I think).

Dr. Foxy, whenever I hear diet coke style advertising I always think: "No sugar, no calories, no point."

I used to drink a couple of large bottles of proper coke a week, but dropped it after a small health problem. I don't miss the stuff, although I do miss proper white bread (went for 50/50. Can't do wholemeal. I'd stop eating sarnies if I had to put up with that).

The CSU continue to suffer in Bavaria with the Greens in a clear second.
    https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1039884546286731264

the greens are hollowing out the SPD
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You really are vivid in your comments today and I usually understand your Scots words but needed my wife, God bless her, to inform me that the English for plooks is spots or pimples.
    Hi G, it is an apt word for that buffoon or as we would say ( Bawbag)
  • Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited September 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Costco
    When I worked for Nestle, they owned british vinegars ltd (Sarsons) at the time. 5l tubs of catering vinegar were very popular with distributors of food for Chinese restauants
  • Foxy said:

And for anyone who does this does it work with drinking copious amounts of coffee?

I struggle and like my sweet treats and diet soft drinks. I'd be willing to cut those out but I'd worry about cutting out coffee, that's my one vice I can't see losing.

Foxy said:

And for anyone who does this does it work with drinking copious amounts of coffee?

I struggle and like my sweet treats and diet soft drinks. I'd be willing to cut those out but I'd worry about cutting out coffee, that's my one vice I can't see losing.
    I dont have a sweet tooth, my downfall is dairy and alcolhol

Mr Big G, he is angry because I made the rather obvious parallels between nationalism and fascism and the well known history of Nazi-sympathising of the SNP. Poor little man, he is the Celtic equivalent of a Gammon

The clown just cannot help himself, watches one episode of Hogan's Heroes and becomes a Nazi expert

rcs1000 said:

Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

Costco
    When I worked for Nestle, they owned british vinegars ltd (Sarsons) at the time. 5l tubs of catering vinegar were very popular with distributors of food for Chinese restauants
    Used a fair bit in Chinese cooking but best on a fish supper for sure.

Foxy said:

I dont have a sweet tooth, my downfall is dairy and alcolhol
    I am same Alan but not in that order

Mr Anorak, they both have the combined intellect of a sea creature, but it isn't one at the top of the foodchain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qMT2YBIcg
  • tpfkar said:

On the weight loss / maintenance debate, are there any other parkrunners on PB? It strikes me as a setup that might appeal to others here - free volunteer run 5km runs across the country on Saturday mornings? I get to my local one when I can and even turn 'tourist' when I'm away if I can. I find these keep me focussed on healthier choices than I might make otherwise.

I need to lose some weight to help with some knee and ankle injuries before I can go back to parkrun. But I volunteer sometimes.

Foxy said:

I drank a lot of water and black tea and coffee, and ate a lot of vegetables and salad without dressing. I got to quite like it, so still do.

For those who find Archimedes too challenging, the waist/height is easier as a measure of visceral fat. Measure the waist at belly button height and it should be less than 50% of height.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I drank a lot of water and black tea and coffee, and ate a lot of vegetables and salad without dressing. I got to quite like it, so still do.

For those who find Archimedes too challenging, the waist/height is easier as a measure of visceral fat. Measure the waist at belly button height and it should be less than 50% of height.

I am doomed
  • Sandpit said:

One of your PAs. How many do you have Mr M? We have to share one between 20.
    Unlike (apparently) Boris Johnson's M.O., I have them consecutively rather than concurrently.

I have lost a lot of weight myself in the past. The Paleo diet works well for me. I yoyo a bit, however, because I have a sweet tooth. Alcohol doesn't help either.
  • Mr. G, you may have to reduce your turnip consumption.

Also, is Irn-Bru going to stick with the derided new formula, or go back to the old one (with smaller cans)?
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I am doomed
    Perhaps eat those Ayrshire turnips rather than lob them :)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    edited September 2018
    Foxy said:

I read up all the time that that method puts normal weight people into the overweight category, but it's the opposite (When I'm in shape) for me. I had a 32" waist when I was last 90 Kg (Am 185 cm). Currently 108 Kg/6'1/38" (Heading south though !)
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mrs B has gone paleo and lost quite a lot of weight, me less so but then Im not following it as rigidly as she does. However veg is no problem the main issue is avoiding cheese. Weve both been bad over the summer by drinking more wine than we should but dining out in the garden so far has been a once in 42 years opportunity.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Mrs B has gone paleo and lost quite a lot of weight, me less so but then Im not following it as rigidly as she does. However veg is no problem the main issue is avoiding cheese. Weve both been bad over the summer by drinking more wine than we should but dining out in the garden so far has been a once in 42 years opportunity.
    When dieting, it is the height of bad manners to lose weight faster than ones wife, and a bit of cheating is sometimes required for politeness sake.
  • tpfkar said:

I need to lose some weight to help with some knee and ankle injuries before I can go back to parkrun. But I volunteer sometimes.
    Many moons ago, I was walking alongside the Trent in the centre of Nottingham and stopped to chat to a rather overweight lady who was on old-fashioned roller skates. She said she had tried for years to lose weight, but running knackered her legs because she was so overweight, and she had had nasty things shouted at her when cycling. Her GP recommended roller skating, and so each lunchtime she'd head out and spend time roller skating to and fro beside the river. She said the weight was falling off her.

She seemed really happy, which might have done as much to help her lose weight as the exercise ...

Mr. G, you may have to reduce your turnip consumption.

Also, is Irn-Bru going to stick with the derided new formula, or go back to the old one (with smaller cans)?

MD, I am not great lover of Irn Bru but there does seem to have been a big stramash about change in recipe, lot of negative publicity so who knows.
  • tpfkar said:

Many moons ago, I was walking alongside the Trent in the centre of Nottingham and stopped to chat to a rather overweight lady who was on old-fashioned roller skates. She said she had tried for years to lose weight, but running knackered her legs because she was so overweight, and she had had nasty things shouted at her when cycling. Her GP recommended roller skating, and so each lunchtime she'd head out and spend time roller skating to and fro beside the river. She said the weight was falling off her.

She seemed really happy, which might have done as much to help her lose weight as the exercise ...
    Yes, I mainly walk and cycle at present, but making it a regular habit has been difficult.
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I am doomed
    Perhaps eat those Ayrshire turnips rather than lob them :)
    LOL
  • Mr. G, you don't like Irn-Bru?

You're not secretly an Englishman, are you?

Mr. Glenn, if that's the case it could well be great for the far right.

If the electorate learns that the political class cedes power incrementally without consulting them, then cedes even more power in larger instalments when the electorate has voted for the opposite, the lesson will be drawn that the mainstream democratic parties can't be trusted to deliver on a crucial matter.

Many will be apathetic and not turn out, some will still vote for major parties if they're motivated by fear/dislike of one or the other, and some will turn out, but of a more extreme variety (to be fair, the far left has already occupied Labour).
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    Eagles sneaks another fred on us.
  • malcolmg said:

Mr Big G, he is angry because I made the rather obvious parallels between nationalism and fascism and the well known history of Nazi-sympathising of the SNP. Poor little man, he is the Celtic equivalent of a Gammon

The clown just cannot help himself, watches one episode of Hogan's Heroes and becomes a Nazi expert
    You are probably the expert there. I don't support a party that has the word Nationalist in it. Is Scottish Nationalism a racist endeavour ? Best ask Jezza
  • NEW THREAD

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I am doomed
    I believe we all are.
This discussion has been closed.