Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Brexit betting specials

Comments

• On topic,
    LoR
    I frowned when listening to Juncker earlier, something didn’t sound right. Almost like, if there’s pain ahead was he already manipulating blame game.

HY
    Juncker basically said you can either be in the single market and the Union or outside, there was no halfway house. Outside the best we can get is a FTA like Canada as Barnier has affirmed but with a border in the Irish Sea which the DUP will not concede so likely May agrees to stay in the single market and customs union in all but name with a work permit and study place on arrival requirement

LoR
    I not saying you are wrong. Fair play to you for keeping us educated with some thoughtful opinions on this molten situation.

However. It may have already occurred to the EU they can get a much better deal for themselves the other side of a British General election. Their strategy right now, no serious attempt at final deal until then, any blame for any pain pinned squarely on the Brits. Bear this in mind next time any of them say anything to spot signs of it.

HY
    Despite the bluster a Corbyn offer to the EU would be almost exactly the same as May is heading for

LoR
    That’s a weak answer to my theory this time HY. It wouldn’t be the pitch or bluster, but the room to backslide, to cave, (to use a 30 year war metaphor, the policy picked up and thrown out the window) The EU taking note of what Corbyn cabinet, PLP, labour members, union backers and labour supporters saying, benchmarked against leaders bluster, and in counterpoint to wriggle room of any Tory leader.

So my theory very much still standing. Because of much better deal they would get for themselves, EU are not going to properly negotiate with us this side of a GE. This is what is playing out in front of our eyes.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:
    There's something I can't quite put my finger about the idea of Trump's America being covered in a shower of shit.....

Karma?
    It is also going to flood a lot of not fit for purpose nuclear plants - sounds very much like the way Simpsons movie.
    This is true, but American nuclear plants are generally designed to handle American hurricanes. For example, the backup generators are in underground bunkers so they won't get hit by flying trees.

The problem they had at Fukushima-1 was that it was also designed for American hurricanes. For example, the backup generators were in underground bunkers so they couldn't get hit by flying American trees.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    brendan16 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

@AlastairMeeks - since you often get asked to comment on issues of a Hungarian nature, any thoughts on this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hungary-leader-viktor-orban-brexit-uk-conservatives-eu-authoritarian-islamophobia-antisemitism-a8535271.html

"One Tory politician in Westminster told The Independent: “No one will say it publicly, but it’s clear that we are going to gain brownie points with people who might be able to help us in the Brexit negotiations."

Viktor Orbán is more cunning than the entire Conservative political leadership put together. He will use them, not vice versa.
    Thanks for the response. I'm a little concerned that on our way out of the EU, we might hinder their own efforts to promote the rule of law/arrest a slide away from democracy.

I was intrigued by the argument deployed by some conservatives that this isn't part of MEP's responsibilities, I don't know enough about the topic, but clearly plenty of MEPs take a different view.
    Didn't Orban get elected a few months ago with 50 per cent of the vote and 70 per cent of the seats in the Hungarian general election on a 70 per cent plus turnout. The second party was the true far right party Jobbik which got 20 per cent of the vote - would the EU rather they won. MEPs mostly get elected on very low turnouts via closed party lists - do they have a greater mandate?

Isn't the problem that the EU just doesn't like the results of the Hungarian democratic process? No criticism at all by contrast of the Swedish election last week which isn't even a secret ballot as election officials and others in the polling station can see how you vote because you have to pick a piece of paper for the party you vote for in public or get the party's paper handed to you as you arrive (or which has been pre delivered to your home) by party activists. It's positively banana republic in terms of the scope for intimidation and lack of a secret ballot.

Democracy is fine with the EU - as long of course as you vote the right way. Not defending Orban but the majority of Hungarians seem happy with him - and nearly half the voters who didn't back him think he is too soft and liberal!
    Democracy is more than just elections, it needs rule of law, free press etc. The EU is a club for democracies, and if you stop being a democracy you should be kicked out, as a last resort. Hopefully it won't come to that.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Pulpstar said:
    There's something I can't quite put my finger about the idea of Trump's America being covered in a shower of shit.....

Karma?
    LOL!
  • Excellent. Tories vs CoE+Labour? Bring it on!
    I feel the need to write a thread on disestablishment.

Fun fact kids only ourselves and Iran have unelected clergy in our legislatures.
    Fun fact - actually, Church of England diocesan bishops are elected. But the electorate consists solely of the College of Canons in that diocese, and they only ever have one candidate to choose from.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Morning all :)

I can only hope for those affected by Hurricane Florence (including the town of Florence) that the storm isn't as severe as feared.

We may have to deal with the after effects of Hurricane Helene next week but that's a long time in meteorology, let alone politics.

The Conservatives having a go at the Church of England ? How very 1980s - it's like people paying a fortune for a mobile phone but thankfully no one is that stupid any more.

As far as A50 is concerned, consider me confused. I'm assuming the British Government's position remains the Chequers Plan (amended by the ERG) while the EU has rejected aspects of it. Have the EU come back with counter proposals for those areas of Chequers with which they don't agree or have they simply told us what they don't like and told us to think of something else?

We can already see politically how this will play out - IF there is a deal, it will be lauded as a triumph for Theresa May and she will be praised to the skies not least by her acolytes and apologists on here irrespective of the detail (where the devil always lurks) which may disappoint some in how much we have either "given away" or fudged.

IF there is no deal, the line will be simple - it won't be Theresa's fault but the fault of the perfidious Europeans led by the likes of Barnier, Juncker (oh wait, let's mention he likes a drink), Merkel and Macron. Let's wheel out all the old stereotypes about the French and the Germans because that will make us feel better.

We are of course well past the point of getting a deal in the national interest - the only interests now in play are those of the Prime Minister and the Conservative Party. A deal to save them and get the support of enough MPs is all that now matters (and possibly all that ever did matter in truth).
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Fishing said:

tlg86 said:

Hungary's elections are not fair. The grip of the state over media is near-total.

Then they should be kicked out of the EU. :)
    It should certainly be on the agenda.
    There is no mechanism for that to happen. It would be odd to uphold the rule of law by undermining it.

Anyway, the EU cannot even get its act together to suspend Hungary's voting rights as the Poles will back them.
    The EU is probably lucky we are leaving.

The Parliamentary elections in May will see a sizeable churn in its composition as mainsteam Christaian Democrats and Socialsis are replaced by less friendly elements at the extremes. Not having a pile of Ukippers in Brussels will be a relief.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    rkrkrk said:

brendan16 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

@AlastairMeeks - since you often get asked to comment on issues of a Hungarian nature, any thoughts on this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hungary-leader-viktor-orban-brexit-uk-conservatives-eu-authoritarian-islamophobia-antisemitism-a8535271.html

"One Tory politician in Westminster told The Independent: “No one will say it publicly, but it’s clear that we are going to gain brownie points with people who might be able to help us in the Brexit negotiations."

Viktor Orbán is more cunning than the entire Conservative political leadership put together. He will use them, not vice versa.
    Thanks for the response. I'm a little concerned that on our way out of the EU, we might hinder their own efforts to promote the rule of law/arrest a slide away from democracy.

I was intrigued by the argument deployed by some conservatives that this isn't part of MEP's responsibilities, I don't know enough about the topic, but clearly plenty of MEPs take a different view.
    Didn't Orban get elected a few months ago with 50 per cent of the vote and 70 per cent of the seats in the Hungarian general election on a 70 per cent plus turnout. The second party was the true far right party Jobbik which got 20 per cent of the vote - would the EU rather they won. MEPs mostly get elected on very low turnouts via closed party lists - do they have a greater mandate?

Isn't the problem that the EU just doesn't like the results of the Hungarian democratic process? No criticism at all by contrast of the Swedish election last week which isn't even a secret ballot as election officials and others in the polling station can see how you vote because you have to pick a piece of paper for the party you vote for in public or get the party's paper handed to you as you arrive (or which has been pre delivered to your home) by party activists. It's positively banana republic in terms of the scope for intimidation and lack of a secret ballot.

Democracy is fine with the EU - as long of course as you vote the right way. Not defending Orban but the majority of Hungarians seem happy with him - and nearly half the voters who didn't back him think he is too soft and liberal!
    Democracy is more than just elections, it needs rule of law, free press etc. The EU is a club for democracies, and if you stop being a democracy you should be kicked out, as a last resort. Hopefully it won't come to that.
    The reason it won't happen is because it would be an admission of failure by the EU. They're supposed to make these places better. And they don't want to lose another piece of their empire.
  • CD13 said:

The point I'm making is that you can never persuade people by being really,really certain, or by teaching them to suck eggs, so I'd better stop there. But you can annoy them.

Anyone on here who is in the business of persuasion is wasting their time.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Very very brave of him to take on John Lewis. I trust them rather more than politicians.
    Is it? I think Raab's spot on. My guess is that John Lewis have spent too much time and money on Christmas adverts rather than stocking quality goods.
    I think their goods are, generally, of good quality. But even I am spending less there - and everywhere else - than I used to. Partly for personal reasons. But also partly because the economic future is a bit uncertain. If my approach is shared then I can well see why it would affect sales. I do not think JL is like a House of Fraser but I can see that tough conditions on the High street coupled with general Brexit-related insecurity would have an impact.

It’s not as if Brexit has been handled competently. Raab might look at the beams in his government’s eyes first before criticising the motes in others.

And, frankly, the political reality will be that a lot of things will be blamed on Brexit, whether that is accurate or not. The Tories may as well get used to that because it is going to have an effect on them for a very long time to come. My guess is that people will be using it against the Tories for at least as long as the Tories used the Winter of Discontent against Labour.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Mr Meeks,

"Anyone on here who is in the business of persuasion is wasting their time."

Now that, I can agree with. I also think it's easy to wind them up without meaning to.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    tlg86 said:

The reason it won't happen is because it would be an admission of failure by the EU. They're supposed to make these places better. And they don't want to lose another piece of their empire.

I think unquestionably the EU has encouraged Eastern European countries along the road to democracy, so it has made those places better.

But this idea of empire doesn't seem right at all, many European countries were resistant to expanding the block, and I doubt many tears would be shed over losing Hungary if they continue to break EU rules and norms.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,565

Nigelb said:

Excellent. Tories vs CoE+Labour? Bring it on!

Fun fact kids only ourselves and Iran have unelected clergy in our legislatures.
    I sometimes feel we might benefit from a Council of Guardians...
    Now that’s a role for me.
    OK, you've persuaded me it's a flawed idea.
    :smile:

brendan16 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Hungary's elections are not fair. The grip of the state over media is near-total.
    Poland is heading in a similar direction, but it's not there yet:
    https://freedomhouse.org/report/special-reports/assault-press-freedom-poland
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

I think unquestionably the EU has encouraged Eastern European countries along the road to democracy, so it has made those places better.

But this idea of empire doesn't seem right at all, many European countries were resistant to expanding the block, and I doubt many tears would be shed over losing Hungary if they continue to break EU rules and norms.
    The empire building is being done by the EU itself, not the member states.

CD13 said:

The point I'm making is that you can never persuade people by being really,really certain, or by teaching them to suck eggs, so I'd better stop there. But you can annoy them.

And I have been trying SOO hard to persuade people not to sprinkle chocolate on their coffee......

All my hopes crushed in 14 cruel words. :(
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

There's an irony that it was always the UK's position to support widening of the EU under the seemingly mistaken theory that it was better to be wider than deeper. The EU managed to both widen and deepen the European project.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841

My new iPhone will cost me £1,449.

Absolute bargain and confirms once again iPhones are the phones of the working classes.

40% of my pension is in 'Overseas equity tracker', $AAPL must be a part of that - so I'm glad you're spending your cash on their overpriced nonsense.

The problem they had at Fukushima-1 was that it was also designed for American hurricanes.

Are Japanese typhoons worse ?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673
    matt said:

Absolute bargain and confirms once again iPhones are the phones of the working classes.

If you need to bang on about the price, I agree.
    expensive cameras for idiots
  • Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

And I have been trying SOO hard to persuade people not to sprinkle chocolate on their coffee......

On that subject you're preaching to the converted here. I'm unashamedly heterodox on the subject of pizze though.

I don't wish to trigger you but if you go into a branch of Costa, their diagram explaining the different coffees actually shows a sprinkling of chocolate on top of their drawing of a cappuccino.
  • FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I think a second referendum might happen but that deadline's too tight. If it happens then it's most likely with an extension, potentially after various other things have failed.

TSE says "I don’t think there’s a majority in the House of Commons for passing the legislation to enable such a referendum" and he may be right.
    However is there a majority for any other particular course of action?
    There are three potential choices for a vote in the next six months: Withdrawal Agreement, probably including Northern Ireland backstop and two year standstill "transition"; chaotic no deal; delay. The question is whether the government can get the votes for the first. DUP and Labour have said no to the first. I suspect Labour might go for delay. This would require the acquiescence of the EU as well as some support from conservatives.
    On reflection, I don't think the EU will want delay. There is only one question. Can Theresa May cobble together enough votes to accept the Withdrawal Agreement, including payments and the Northern Ireland backstop, to get an exit with a two year no change "transition" and a short and vague "political declaration" that sets out a Canada style FTA and makes positive noises about a deeper partnership?

Labour, the DUP and Tory ERG have all said No, but there will be a lot of pressure to take it.
    On that basis I suspect the ERG will sign up. They can hope to sabotage the deeper relationship later. Theresa May will hope to get enough DUP and Labour MPs to vote in favour or abstain. Doable, I think, but she needs to do some cross spectrum outreach, which she has invested nothing in so far
    I am afraid that this doesn't make sense. The ERG (and everyone else) knows that the moment that May signs the NI backstop, CETA cannot happen in the future without splitting the UK (not possible). So no, there is no chance that they will accept this and that is why they are hammering the backstop now.

There is also a huge amount of pressure to link the payments to the outcome. Even Barnier was hinting this might have to happen.

The ERG will never sign up to a legally binding backstop that blocks CETA in the future. Remember, the whole point of the backstop is to force the UK to accept the EEA/CU option in the future. The DUP will never agree to a NI only backstop and the ERG will never agree to a UK wide indefinite backstop. The best backstop answer is just to say no.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273
    edited September 2018

No comment on ‘A Spaniard to be thrown in the works’

My awesome puns are wasted on you lot.

Only just logged on - got to say it made me smile - one of your (or rather Lennon's) best!
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

You did make me think about it. And I haven’t had a Hawaiian pizza for at least a couple of years. I think Alastair is too pessimistic.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,673

matt said:

Banging on about the price is rather nouveau riche, don't you think?
    Can be schemie as well, but normally just highlights lack of self esteem
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Very very brave of him to take on John Lewis. I trust them rather more than politicians.
    Is it? I think Raab's spot on. My guess is that John Lewis have spent too much time and money on Christmas adverts rather than stocking quality goods.
    I think their goods are, generally, of good quality. But even I am spending less there - and everywhere else - than I used to. Partly for personal reasons. But also partly because the economic future is a bit uncertain. If my approach is shared then I can well see why it would affect sales. I do not think JL is like a House of Fraser but I can see that tough conditions on the High street coupled with general Brexit-related insecurity would have an impact.

It’s not as if Brexit has been handled competently. Raab might look at the beams in his government’s eyes first before criticising the motes in others.

And, frankly, the political reality will be that a lot of things will be blamed on Brexit, whether that is accurate or not. The Tories may as well get used to that because it is going to have an effect on them for a very long time to come. My guess is that people will be using it against the Tories for at least as long as the Tories used the Winter of Discontent against Labour.
    There is a very good piece by Jeremy Warner in the Telegraph today reflecting on the political implications of Lehman 10 years on and the risks we are running today. Well worth a read for those with access to it.
    rkrkrk said:

brendan16 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Didn't Orban get elected a few months ago with 50 per cent of the vote..

Democracy is fine with the EU - as long of course as you vote the right way
    There are steps before that. The most effective might be suspension of voting rights, but although that requires only a majority vote, there's a much higher hurdle to be passed before it can be put to a vote (which seems a pretty perverse way of arranging things):
    https://www.politico.eu/article/hungary-article-7-viktor-orban-after-european-parliament-slaps-what-next/
    The leaders of all EU governments (except Hungary) would need to vote in favor of a “serious and persistent breach” in order for the process to reach the next stage. That’s a very high bar. Hungary has already said it would block any such step against Poland and it seems very likely that Warsaw would return the favor. Other EU governments that have come under fire for their democratic and human rights standards would also be very wary of setting a precedent that could be dangerous for them.

The final stage of the Article 7 process, a vote to suspend a country’s voting rights, requires only a qualified majority (55 percent of EU countries, comprising at least 65 percent of the EU’s population — all minus the accused country, of course). But to get to this point, the Council would have to have agreed unanimously at the previous stage...
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Probably already discussed, but 538 senate forecast out and gives GOP a 2/3 chance to retain control.
  • Pulpstar said:

The problem they had at Fukushima-1 was that it was also designed for American hurricanes.

Not nearly as bad, iiuc. Tsunamis, on the other hand...
    Augustine said:

Fun fact - actually, Church of England diocesan bishops are elected. But the electorate consists solely of the College of Canons in that diocese, and they only ever have one candidate to choose from.
    Now that is the kind of election I could get behind. Having opponents risks losing, as I did this week.
  • DavidL said:

Augustine said:

Now that is the kind of election I could get behind. Having opponents risks losing, as I did this week.
    Commiserations. Though as you said, you may have dodged a bullet.
  • Mr. L, commiserations on your defeat.

Although... weren't you undecided as to whether you'd rather win or lose?
    malcolmg said:

matt said:

I wondered if “schemie” might need a translation for our southern readers.
    Pulpstar said:

Storms and tsunamis present rather different challenges.... which is why it's a good thing there are no nuclear plants in the Pacific North East, and only a couple on the entire west coast of the US.

DavidL said:

Augustine said:

Commiserations. Though as you said, you may have dodged a bullet.
    That seems to be the consensus of my friends so I will take comfort in that.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    stodge said:

We are of course well past the point of getting a deal in the national interest - the only interests now in play are those of the Prime Minister and the Conservative Party. A deal to save them and get the support of enough MPs is all that now matters (and possibly all that ever did matter in truth).

But Mr. Stodge, the interests of the nation and the Conservative Party are always in perfect allignment.....

Pulpstar said:

Is there any difference between hurricanes and typhoons other than where they occur ?
    Granted hurricanes tend to be, on average, stronger storms, but the recent Japanese typhoon was pretty severe:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/04/typhoon-jebi-japan-hit-by-strongest-storm-for-25-years
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

Random neds at a bus stop once accused me of wearing schemie shoes.
  • Roger said:

OT. John Lewis just announced they have made £1 million profit the worst on record. The media are now questioning the wisdom of spending four times their group profit on the production costs of a single Xmas ad.

A fair question but completely irrelevant. It does what it's supposed to do and buys a huge shot of added value publicity at Christmas and is therefore worth far more than the £4 million it costs

Advertising comes in all shapes and sizes and when they stopped handing out John Lewis shopping bags they lost millions of classy low cost ads wandering up and down the country's streets. Watching people leave of the store with their purchases in plastic Asda shopping bags must surely have alerted somebody?

They need to get Kap on board.

https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1040112565693636608
  • DavidL said:

Augustine said:

Bad luck - but I do think standing for election - whether successful or not - strengthens one's respect for democracy. As Dick Tuck observed.....
    That will be the Moodys who used to give AAA ratings to CDOs until approximately 10 years ago this week? I’m not saying they’re wrong but I am not sure I value their assessment much.
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Scottish chav ?
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Rating agencies haven't changed have they. They're experts at predicting the future through their rear view mirror. FX: Checks Lehman RMBS' to see if they've been downgraded yet.
    DavidL said:

That will be the Moodys who used to give AAA ratings to CDOs until approximately 10 years ago this week? I’m not saying they’re wrong but I am not sure I value their assessment much.
    On the other hand, they don't usually get around to changing their ratings until it's long since obvious to the rest of the world, so it could be worrying news ?
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Scottish chav ?
    Sort of, technically the resident of one of our delightful council housing schemes that were so successful in developing our culture in unexpected ways.

DavidL said:

Augustine said:

Bad luck - but I do think standing for election - whether successful or not - strengthens one's respect for democracy. As Dick Tuck observed.....
    He was spot on.
  • DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

A friend of mine bought a potato based snack from Asda and her son told her 'am no eating those giro Pringles'.

Of course she repackaged them in a Pringles tube, problem almost immediately solved.
  • DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

Scottish chav ?
    Sort of, technically the resident of one of our delightful council housing schemes that were so successful in developing our culture in unexpected ways.
    So I’m accused of being working class?

I’ll take that.
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Is there any difference between hurricanes and typhoons other than where they occur ?
    Granted hurricanes tend to be, on average, stronger storms, but the recent Japanese typhoon was pretty severe:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/04/typhoon-jebi-japan-hit-by-strongest-storm-for-25-years
    Typhoon Manghkut is sub 900 hPa at the moment.
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

On the other hand, they don't usually get around to changing their ratings until it's long since obvious to the rest of the world, so it could be worrying news ?
    That is a valid point but as usual I think they are behind the curve. I think that the risk of a no deal Brexit has peaked and is now diminishing, if still not negligible.

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

matt said:

A friend of mine bought a potato based snack from Asda and her son told her 'am no eating those giro Pringles'.

Of course she repackaged them in a Pringles tube, problem almost immediately solved.
    That’s what she gets for shopping at Asda.
  • 80-100 is not exactly enormous now, really. Bit of wishful thinking there.
    A Labour shadow minister barring the Guardian? We are not in Kansas anymore, that is for sure.
  • I see leading Tories are back on the 'F*** Business' express.
  • DavidL said:

A Labour shadow minister barring the Guardian? We are not in Kansas anymore, that is for sure.
    Does the Morning Star have a sketch writer?

I'm sure he or she will provide us with a funny write-up.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    Nigelb said:

Hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones are the same things with different names.

The characteristics of violent winds and large rainfall amounts backed by storm surges are the same in the Pacific, Atlantic or the Indian Oceans.

Florence has an MSLP (Mean Sea Level Pressure) at its lowest of 943MB - that's not that unusual and many winter extra-tropical depressions over Iceland and Greenland will be that if not lower.

At 920MB and below you are getting into seriously severe territory - Irma and Maria last year were in the 910s and that's when destructive winds can occur as we saw on Puerto Rico and on Barbuda and elsewhere.

Typhoon Jebi reached 915MB. I suspect the Indian Ocean cyclones don't get that low and neither do the cyclones in the southern hemisphere but in recent years there have been more unusual events such as a hurricane in the Mediterranean and one in the Atlantic off south America. IF seawater temperatures are rising that would suggest greater intensity and frequency of storms.
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Anyone ever seen TSE and Scott_P in the same room?
    https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1040137999349166081
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Karma?
    It is also going to flood a lot of not fit for purpose nuclear plants - sounds very much like the way Simpsons movie.
    This is true, but American nuclear plants are generally designed to handle American hurricanes. For example, the backup generators are in underground bunkers so they won't get hit by flying trees.

The problem they had at Fukushima-1 was that it was also designed for American hurricanes. For example, the backup generators were in underground bunkers so they couldn't get hit by flying American trees.
    That’s a very good way of putting it!
    I refer the honourable member to the remarks I made some moments ago!
  • In the context of the harassment of JRM's children yesterday:

https://twitter.com/MrSteerpike/status/1040164751567978496
  • "The Daily Telegraph has learned the ERG has compiled two lists of rebels: one with 35 names of MPs who have submitted no confidence letters to the 1922 chairman Sir Graham Brady, while a second list contains details of 17 MPs who might sign letters to oust her."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/12/theresa-mays-chequers-plan-dealt-blow-dup-backs-rival-erg-proposal/

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

On that subject you're preaching to the converted here. I'm unashamedly heterodox on the subject of pizze though.

I don't wish to trigger you but if you go into a branch of Costa, their diagram explaining the different coffees actually shows a sprinkling of chocolate on top of their drawing of a cappuccino.
    Clearly, I have work to do.....
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Brightly coloured trainers worn when you were clearly not out for a run?
    I refer the honourable member to the remarks I made some moments ago!
    Indeed, I suspect they will fudge it all away.

Jezza needs to be very careful because the kids want another (or in many cases their first) vote.
  • In the context of the harassment of JRM's children yesterday:

I am sure there is an incitement charge in there somehow.

It is certainly a dangerous call that will eventually lead to real physical harm.
  • Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Typhoons and hurricanes are different names for the same thing, iiuc.

Maybe you're right and the Japanese ones are just as bad, Jebi was a monster.

Americans always seem to be evacuating huge metropolises in enormous traffic jams whereas in Japan it always seems like a few low-lying places get evacuated, but maybe that's just Americans being rubbish at flood defences or something.

In the context of the harassment of JRM's children yesterday:

I do think the man who was shouting horrible things at JRM's children was behaving disgracefully. He should be ashamed of himself. But I was curious that JRM did not usher the children inside as soon as he saw the man and what he was doing. That would have been my reaction.

And then either engaged with him or just ignored him and gone inside.

MPs' families are off limits. As are death threats, including ones against Corbyn. Or McVeigh. We should not need reminding that some people are inclined to take this stuff seriously - with appalling consequences. It is not hard to have vigorous political debate without threatening violence. Those who do are beyond the pale IMO.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
  • Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

FPT...
    A long, brilliant, and very troubling, Ann Applebaum article on the polarisation of Europe:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/poland-polarization/568324/

Thanks for the link. That is really quite a disturbing piece but well worth the read.
    One thing perhaps lacking, though she does touch on it, is the importance of independent institutions separate from government in a liberal democracy, but it is a fine piece.
    The final paragraph is applicable to the UK:

"More to the point, the principles of competition, even when they encourage talent and create upward mobility, don’t necessarily answer deeper questions about national identity, or satisfy the human desire to belong to a moral community. The authoritarian state, or even the semi-authoritarian state—the one-party state, the illiberal state—offers that promise: that the nation will be ruled by the best people, the deserving people, the members of the party, the believers in the Medium-Size Lie. It may be that democracy has to be bent or business corrupted or court systems wrecked in order to achieve that state. But if you believe that you are one of those deserving people, you will do it"

Here in the UK we live in an era of the quick and easy fix. More people will want the medium sized lie than having to do the work to fix things. I see the danger on the left with Momentum. Others see the danger on the right with... well not sure there is a mass movement alt-right analogue, but there will be if Brexit is frustrated. We have all become way too complacent.
  • Dr. Foxy, that's a parody account (of JRM).
  • Cyclefree said:

I do think the man who was shouting horrible things at JRM's children was behaving disgracefully. He should be ashamed of himself. But I was curious that JRM did not usher the children inside as soon as he saw the man and what he was doing. That would have been my reaction.

MPs' families are off limits. As are death threats, including ones against Corbyn. Or McVeigh. We should not need reminding that some people are inclined to take this stuff seriously - with appalling consequences. It is not hard to have vigorous political debate without threatening violence. Those who do are beyond the pale IMO.
    "I was curious that JRM did not usher the children inside as soon as he saw the man and what he was doing"
    I haven't watched the episode, are you suggesting that JRM was using the unfortunate incident?
    On this interminable train journey I have come across an advert for Ruth Davidson being interviewed by Andrew Neil in London in an event organised by the Spectator. She is promoting her new book, Yes she can, which I confess I have not read yet. That would be an interesting event and perhaps a test if Ruth is ready for the bigger stage. Be great if a PBer was in attendance.
    Foxy said:
    Always play the ball not the man? Well this spoof account isn't written by Boris, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIUp19bBoA

(Boris's tackle getting him in trouble again....)
    RobD said:
    But where's the Bitcoin giveaway ?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Dr. Foxy, that's a parody account (of JRM).

Always need to keep my Senator Vreenak gif on standby these days.

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

FPT...
    A long, brilliant, and very troubling, Ann Applebaum article on the polarisation of Europe:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/poland-polarization/568324/

Thanks for the link. That is really quite a disturbing piece but well worth the read.
    One thing perhaps lacking, though she does touch on it, is the importance of independent institutions separate from government in a liberal democracy, but it is a fine piece.

"More to the point, the principles of competition, even when they encourage talent and create upward mobility, don’t necessarily answer deeper questions about national identity, or satisfy the human desire to belong to a moral community. The authoritarian state, or even the semi-authoritarian state—the one-party state, the illiberal state—offers that promise: that the nation will be ruled by the best people, the deserving people, the members of the party, the believers in the Medium-Size Lie. It may be that democracy has to be bent or business corrupted or court systems wrecked in order to achieve that state. But if you believe that you are one of those deserving people, you will do it"

Here in the UK we live in an era of the quick and easy fix. More people will want the medium sized lie than having to do the work to fix things. I see the danger on the left with Momentum. Others see the danger on the right with... well not sure there is a mass movement alt-right analogue, but there will be if Brexit is frustrated. We have all become way too complacent.
    I agree. In many ways the piece is a call to arms for those that value democracy (which I do despite some very unfair results) and not just in Poland or Hungary. As I mentioned down thread read Jeremy Warner in the Telegraph today. It is also thought provoking.
  • DavidL said:

On this interminable train journey I have come across an advert for Ruth Davidson being interviewed by Andrew Neil in London in an event organised by the Spectator. She is promoting her new book, Yes she can, which I confess I have not read yet. That would be an interesting event and perhaps a test if Ruth is ready for the bigger stage. Be great if a PBer was in attendance.

It would be as interesting to see if AN keeps up his (not entirely deserved) reputation for roasting pols of all stripes, though I daresay the event may tend towards the fluffy promo.

You have to applaud Ruth's courage in not getting in any interview practice whatsoever in the lead up to this test.
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Karma?

That would not surprise me. About twenty-five years ago, a couple of members of my family were heavily involved in the construction of a new gas/oil power plant in the Midlands. The firm making it was American, and for speed and financial reasons they wanted to use a pre-existing American design.

The one they chose was one that was in use in Arizona, amongst other places. They rejigged some of the buildings to suit the site, but the equipment was much the same - and lots of it was external.

The external equipment had baffles on designed to prevent sand getting in the mechanisms, and these were fitted in the UK. Standard UK design was to have this sort of equipment inside buildings, and within a year there were some fairly severe rust issues with some of the kit. Off came the baffles, and basic sheds were built to keep the rain off.

They still claimed it was cheaper to do this than to redesign everything for the UK climate during the design stage.

It was also the last time I used my awesome surveying skills. Twice, in fact, because some idiot knocked out the main survey point with a dumper, despite the point being in a concrete-filled oil drum buried in the ground ...

DavidL said:

It would be as interesting to see if AN keeps up his (not entirely deserved) reputation for roasting pols of all stripes, though I daresay the event may tend towards the fluffy promo.

You have to applaud Ruth's courage in not getting in any interview practice whatsoever in the lead up to this test.
    She has been unusually quiet. I wasn’t sure if this was maternity related or is she just maybe getting a little bored.

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

FPT...

Much of the article is of interest to anyone interested in preserving democracy, but it is interesting that a self-professed free-market conservative, as Applebaum is, fully recognises the limitations of the market, and the dangers if those limitations are not addressed.

What also comes across strongly is how much the authoritarian states of right and left have in common. Corbyn's admiration for Venezuela is one of the things which places him completely beyond the pale for me.
  • No comment on ‘A Spaniard to be thrown in the works’

It didn't come close to the high standard I set a few days ago.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,053

Dr. Foxy, that's a parody account (of JRM).

Though ironically true!

Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Karma?

That would not surprise me. About twenty-five years ago, a couple of members of my family were heavily involved in the construction of a new gas/oil power plant in the Midlands. The firm making it was American, and for speed and financial reasons they wanted to use a pre-existing American design.

The one they chose was one that was in use in Arizona, amongst other places. They rejigged some of the buildings to suit the site, but the equipment was much the same - and lots of it was external.

The external equipment had baffles on designed to prevent sand getting in the mechanisms, and these were fitted in the UK. Standard UK design was to have this sort of equipment inside buildings, and within a year there were some fairly severe rust issues with some of the kit. Off came the baffles, and basic sheds were built to keep the rain off.

They still claimed it was cheaper to do this than to redesign everything for the UK climate during the design stage.

It was also the last time I used my awesome surveying skills. Twice, in fact, because some idiot knocked out the main survey point with a dumper, despite the point being in a concrete-filled oil drum buried in the ground ...
    They must have imported dumb Arizonan labourers too, cuz you'd never find any of them in the Midlands....

Cyclefree said:

"I was curious that JRM did not usher the children inside as soon as he saw the man and what he was doing"
    I haven't watched the episode, are you suggesting that JRM was using the unfortunate incident?
    No I don't. I saw the video. There were a number of children going into the house. The nanny was coming out to collect them. It's not always easy to get children to move as quickly as one might want them to. And they might have been curious at seeing this elderly man shouting like a drunk outside their home - in the way than any of us might look out if we heard a disturbance outside our front door. The protestor attacked the nanny verbally and was shouting at the children. It was not long. But I think I would have got the children inside and refused to say anything at all and tried to avoid the children hearing any of it.

The man was behaving utterly disgracefully so the blame is all his. And JRM was quiet and polite. I would not have been so polite if someone had done that to me and mine.

The film was taken by Class War and put out by them. And to be fair some of the comments below the line criticised what this man had done in shouting at the children and telling them that their daddy was horrible. Whatever you might think of JRM saying that to his young children is utterly despicable.
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

I raised a cappuccino to you only this morning - lightly dusted with chocolate.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No I don't. I saw the video. There were a number of children going into the house. The nanny was coming out to collect them. It's not always easy to get children to move as quickly as one might want them to. And they might have been curious at seeing this elderly man shouting like a drunk outside their home - in the way than any of us might look out if we heard a disturbance outside our front door. The protestor attacked the nanny verbally and was shouting at the children. It was not long. But I think I would have got the children inside and refused to say anything at all and tried to avoid the children hearing any of it.

The man was behaving utterly disgracefully so the blame is all his. And JRM was quiet and polite. I would not have been so polite if someone had done that to me and mine.

The film was taken by Class War and put out by them. And to be fair some of the comments below the line criticised what this man had done in shouting at the children and telling them that their daddy was horrible. Whatever you might think of JRM saying that to his young children is utterly despicable.
    The post to which you are replying sets a new standard for snarky shittiness. Well replied.

You are both just taking advantage of the fact that @ydoethur is wasting his time teaching instead of punning on PB.
  • It is almost as if The Guardian had an agenda to push on this issue.

They seem a bit fixated.
    I find the articles about RBS interesting up to a point. But there is one very key fact missing, namely, that the authorities - the regulators - were warned in early 2007 about problems relating to the Barclays and RBS bids for ABN Amro. Those problems were not simply related to the size of the bid or the cost or Fred's ego or whatever. They were also about criminality at the start of the process and about some of the other players involved, about which we have heard very much less. It was about the culture that thought this sort of thing acceptable.

Easy to be wise after the event. But there were some who knew about this at the time, pointed it out and were very very frustrated that nothing was done. It is not good enough for all the Poo-Bahs now to say that they have learnt lessons, they didn't see it coming etc. They were very specifically warned and ignored those warnings. Unless they have clearly understood their own failings and why they did not take those warnings seriously and know what to do differently next time - and there will be a next time - then focusing only on how the banks have been structured differently or whether there is sufficient international co-operation (what G Brown is talking about today) when it all goes horribly wrong is not enough.

Those who receive warning signals at a very early stage need to know how to act. There is not enough evidence that those who do receive them really understand the importance of doing this.
    DavidL said:

You are both just taking advantage of the fact that @ydoethur is wasting his time teaching instead of punning on PB.
    Wasting time ??
    Surely, for the sake of civilisation, the next generation need instruction in the paronomasiacal arts ?
  • Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

FPT...

Brexit is the quick and easy fix that those on the right have been gulled into blindly supporting. We have seen its supporters call judges the enemies of the people and call for them to be sacked, attack the governor of the Bank of England and the Chancellor of the Exchequer for expressing inconvenient views about the consequences of Brexit, call for the abolition of the House of Lords for passing amendments that interfere with their vision of Brexit, attack anyone in the media who identifies problems that Brexit will cause and call Remain supporters saboteurs.

Brexit has devastated British political culture. But you don't notice because you fetishise it yourself.
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

CD13 said:

I raised a cappuccino to you only this morning - lightly dusted with chocolate.
    I am honoured. :)
    Cyclefree said:

I find the articles about RBS interesting up to a point. But there is one very key fact missing, namely, that the authorities - the regulators - were warned in early 2007 about problems relating to the Barclays and RBS bids for ABN Amro. Those problems were not simply related to the size of the bid or the cost or Fred's ego or whatever. They were also about criminality at the start of the process and about some of the other players involved, about which we have heard very much less. It was about the culture that thought this sort of thing acceptable.

Easy to be wise after the event. But there were some who knew about this at the time, pointed it out and were very very frustrated that nothing was done. It is not good enough for all the Poo-Bahs now to say that they have learnt lessons, they didn't see it coming etc. They were very specifically warned and ignored those warnings. Unless they have clearly understood their own failings and why they did not take those warnings seriously and know what to do differently next time - and there will be a next time - then focusing only on how the banks have been structured differently or whether there is sufficient international co-operation (what G Brown is talking about today) when it all goes horribly wrong is not enough.

Those who receive warning signals at a very early stage need to know how to act...

And also incentive to act.
    Perhaps some long term bonus metric (both positive and negative) related to how much the bank loses, relative to its peers, in the next crash ?
  • Ishmael_Z said:

Pulpstar said:

Karma?

They must have imported dumb Arizonan labourers too, cuz you'd never find any of them in the Midlands....
    Builders and contractors follow the plans. Builders and contractors not following plans can cause all sorts of issues, some tragic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse
This discussion has been closed.