Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Richard Nabavi on the US Senate elections

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602

Mr. Pubgoer, not to mention I think it's doubtful booze enhances gambling prowess.

Mr. B, gasp! Heaping sin upon sin.

Never played bridge.

Mr. Sandpit, aye, imagine it would be (although it's equally easy to lose at F1, as I have aptly demonstrated this year).

Levelling the playing field, Mr.D.
    (The standard of my play does not seem to decline with drink; make of that what you will.)
  • Options
    I used to be an avid bridge player in my university days, but it's a hard game to combine with a busy legal practice. Maybe when I eventually retire I'll take it up again, it's a fascinating game (and, unlike chess or go, not a trivial game, so computers will presumably take longer to master it).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anyone remember Labour voting against Maastricht even though they actually supported it!

You can NEVER trust Labour if they think they can orchestrate a scenario that that's get them into power.

Theresa, Hammond and Robbins are fools for thinking they could...

"You can NEVER trust Labour if they think they can orchestrate a scenario that that's get them into power."

Couldn't you substitute 'Tories' or 'Boris' into that sentence and it would be just as true?
  • Options

I used to be an avid bridge player in my university days, but it's a hard game to combine with a busy legal practice. Maybe when I eventually retire I'll take it up again, it's a fascinating game (and, unlike chess or go, not a trivial game, so computers will presumably take longer to master it).

They are good enough to test me. Plus, in a digital format, you can do some hints and tips mode on bidding systems.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Miss Vance, that's ****ing insane.

Firing someone for saying 'whiter than white' is just nuts.

Gross misconduct, no less. The most serious of the disciplinary actions that they could take.

Except that no action appears yet to have been taken.
    From the link:
    The IOPC said: “I can confirm that as part of Operation Embley into allegations of serious corruption and malpractice within the Directorate of Professional Standards a notice of investigation has been served on an officer informing them we are investigating the alleged use of language deliberately intended to offend and that had racist undertones.

“A notice is issued to inform an officer at the earliest opportunity following an allegation and to safeguard their interests. It in no way indicates that misconduct proceedings will take place.”

Given the context the phrase was used in - referring to a investigative process rather than a person or persons - it seems unlikely that it was "deliberately intended to offend", though one would have to know more about the audience and context to be certain.

It's also I suppose conceivable that this has been given to the press to discredit the larger investigation.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Do bankers, their friends, and families really constitute 5% of the population ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited September 2018

I think Google/Deepmind could crush bridge pretty quickly if they put their minds to it.

https://bridgewinners.com/article/view/can-googles-deepmind-beat-the-bbo-robots-in-2017/

Edward Lockhart
    I work at DeepMind; we're not currently working on Bridge, and I think it's unlikely we will start any time soon. One game we are working on is Starcraft II, which has a number of attractive features as an AI challenge - visual input, imperfect information, multiple players, planning, memory, strategy. Plus of course matches look very cool and are readily understandable by a non-player.

Some more information here: https://deepmind.com/blog/deepmind-and-blizzard-release-starcraft-ii-ai-research-environment/
    Jan. 15, 2017
    Edward Lockhart edited this comment Jan. 15, 2017
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Google/Deepmind could crush bridge pretty quickly if they put their minds to it.
    Playing within existing bidding systems is basically there, allowing the Computer to build their own is difficult to get your head round but no more challenging to coming up with new strategies for DOTA2.

I guess next level would be reading human cues. Is there any attempt yet to do that in the poker sphere (I guess you could start with easy things, like pauses in play)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302

Pulpstar said:

Playing within existing bidding systems is basically there, allowing the Computer to build their own is difficult to get your head round but no more challenging to coming up with new strategies for DOTA2.

I guess next level would be reading human cues. Is there any attempt yet to do that in the poker sphere (I guess you could start with easy things, like pauses in play)
    I thought bridge these days you couldn't see your partner or anyone else for that matter. Sounds pretty boring. The computer would have to know all the systems (not a problem) although they might not know which system it was (eg. weak two's or unusual no trump etc).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought bridge these days you couldn't see your partner or anyone else for that matter. Sounds pretty boring. The computer would have to know all the systems (not a problem) although they might not know which system it was (eg. weak two's or unusual no trump etc).
    My dad told me his *old* bridge joke the other day:

"Marriage is like bridge. It starts with two hearts and a diamond, and all too often ends with a club and a spade."
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

GDP growth in Ireland now at 7%

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/irish-growth-is-six-times-faster-than-the-eus-average-37314937.html

surprisingly Ireland now runs a deficit with the UK

"The numbers show, even ahead of Brexit, that trade with the UK declined over the past year by around €1.1bn and Ireland's balance of trade with the UK has shifted to a deficit."
  • Options

Just consider that the EU and TM have agreed a deal and at the November conference TM, Donald Tusk and Juncker hold a joint press conference to announce the successful end of negotiations and that everyone considers the deal good for UK and good for the EU. Macron and Merkel also endorse the agreement. Businesses Europe wide send their congratulations to all concerned. The market and pound surges, Jaguar Land Rover and Airbus are delighted and relieved.

And in all this labour say they will vote down the deal

Just think of the politics of it

There is a lot of speculation at the moment but the reality is that once a deal is agreed the debate will move on very, very quickly.

Its similar to how May called an election. Prior to the election being called there'd been all sorts of speculations about how an election could be called with the new Fixed Term Parliament Act, about how Parliament might vote, the potential for a vote of no confidence etc

Reality though is that the second an election was called we were in an election campaign. The requirement for a vote in Parliament became moot, the media agenda had already moved on before Labour even put out a press release.

This won't be exactly the same but is very similar. Once a deal is reached the agenda will rapidly move on and anyone left behind is going to look very silly.
    Hey, the sunlit uplands are back.
    No just a weary exhaustion and acceptance of reality will occur.

Once a deal is reached that is accepted by the UK, Commission and 27 other nations the desire to unpick it all and go back to square one will be minimal. It may, even probably will eventually be revised but for now life will move on.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Gross misconduct, no less. The most serious of the disciplinary actions that they could take.

From the link:
    The IOPC said: “I can confirm that as part of Operation Embley into allegations of serious corruption and malpractice within the Directorate of Professional Standards a notice of investigation has been served on an officer informing them we are investigating the alleged use of language deliberately intended to offend and that had racist undertones.

“A notice is issued to inform an officer at the earliest opportunity following an allegation and to safeguard their interests. It in no way indicates that misconduct proceedings will take place.”

Given the context the phrase was used in - referring to a investigative process rather than a person or persons - it seems unlikely that it was "deliberately intended to offend", though one would have to know more about the audience and context to be certain.

It's also I suppose conceivable that this has been given to the press to discredit the larger investigation.
    An investigation is underway, and it may take 12 months(!)

The officer has now been placed on restricted duties while the Independent Office for Police Conduct investigates. He has been told the inquiry may take up to 12 months to complete.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met-officer-could-face-the-sack-for-using-whiter-than-white-phrase-a3936041.html
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

"Marriage is like bridge. It starts with two hearts and a diamond, and all too often ends with a club and a spade."
    very good.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

From the link:

The officer has now been placed on restricted duties while the Independent Office for Police Conduct investigates. He has been told the inquiry may take up to 12 months to complete.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/senior-met-officer-could-face-the-sack-for-using-whiter-than-white-phrase-a3936041.html
    What a waste of precious police resources. 12 months to determine that 'whiter than white' refers to moral probity rather than race. Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

Get this officer back to doing his job - not restricting him because he used idiomatic language correctly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Do bankers, their friends, and families really constitute 5% of the population ?
    More likely that 4% just like to take the piss when they answer on-line surveys.
  • Options
    Mr. D, the idiocy of paying a man a small fortune to do nothing is only equalled by the insane desire to make any and all terms insufficiently PC absolutely verboten.

As an aside, Witcher fans, would the second book to buy (after The Last Wish) be Sword of Destiny?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

Which brings to mind the case where a wife killed her husband because of his bad bridge play - and got found not guilty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Murder_case
  • Options
    Latest French poll has Macron's party at 21.5% just half a percent ahead of Le Pen's at 21%
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Can’t be friends.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

I was told that sex was more like bridge.

You need a good partner if not then you’ll need a good hand.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, is there an election there any time soon?

If it's the same choice as before (a dodgy chap who said he'd resign and didn't, the far right, and the far left) they'll go for the none-of-the-above candidate again.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    Afternoon all. Stumbled across this reminder that Trump’s base isn’t exactly on the same page/planet as the rest of us.

https://us.cnn.com/2018/09/13/entertainment/thomas-the-tank-engine-nra-kkk-trnd/index.html

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, think you missed this before, after I specifically posted it for you. So, here it is again. A map you should like:
    https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1040514498564694017
  • Options

Latest French poll has Macron's party at 21.5% just half a percent ahead of Le Pen's at 21%

it might seem strange to us but one of the big issues in France atm is the introduction of Pay as you earn to the tax system. I dont think the natives are happy

http://www.lefigaro.fr/impots/2018/09/13/05003-20180913ARTFIG00225-impots-a-la-source-pourquoi-l-annee-blanche-n-est-pas-synonyme-de-zero-impot.php
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think Google/Deepmind could crush bridge pretty quickly if they put their minds to it....
    I'd like to see their machine take me on after I'd poured half a bottle of malt into it...
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, is there an election there any time soon?

If it's the same choice as before (a dodgy chap who said he'd resign and didn't, the far right, and the far left) they'll go for the none-of-the-above candidate again.

To be honest I do not know but the slide in Macron's popularity to below Hollande and today's poll must worry his supporters
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

A senior Scotland Yard officer could face the sack for alleged racist language after using the phrase “whiter than white” in a briefing to colleagues.

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”.

While insensitive its hardly a sacking offence.....

Why is it even insensitive? It's a well known English phrase. It implies nothing about race and only hyper-sensitive fools would think otherwise.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, thank goodness police have solved all the crime and can afford to waste their time on this sort of idiocy.

As an aside, my pen name's Thaddeus White. One awaits my imminent banning from the internet and compulsory holiday at the South Yorkshire Police Re-education Camp.
  • Options
    This is surprisingly interesting:

TRIGGER WARNING: Leavers of a sensitive disposition should go to their designated Safe Space rather than click on the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/14/clegg-leads-pro-remain-grandees-on-diplomatic-mission-to-stop-brexit
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

A senior Scotland Yard officer could face the sack for alleged racist language after using the phrase “whiter than white” in a briefing to colleagues.

He could face an internal investigation for gross misconduct — the most serious disciplinary offence. Sources said the detective superintendent addressed colleagues about the need to be faultless and above reproach in carrying out inquiries, saying that they needed to be “whiter than white”.

While insensitive its hardly a sacking offence.....

Why is it even insensitive? It's a well known English phrase. It implies nothing about race and only hyper-sensitive fools would think otherwise.
    Effect is not always the same an intention.

That being said gross misconduct is about intent, so it's a joke.
  • Options

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

From the link:

What a waste of precious police resources. 12 months to determine that 'whiter than white' refers to moral probity rather than race. Pathetic. Utterly pathetic....
    I agree with that it's a waste of resources, but I think the point is that the comment might have been intended to align moral probity with race.

I'd go with the laundry detergent defence.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that's twice in a row you've started new threads right after I posted that map!

Go and view it this instance.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Germans concerned Chinese are building up controlling stake in Daimler

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/unternehmen/wer-greift-da-nach-daimler-li-shufu-etwa-15788479.html
  • Options
    Interesting note on registration and partisan involvement in primaries this season

"Democratic turnout increased 75% relative to the 2014 primaries, while Republican turnout increased 25% – overall primary turnout is 47% higher than it was in 2014."

https://winwithjmc.com/archives/8436
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    GIN1138 said:

FPT on PB Poster Boy: Rory The Tory: :D

I see the get-Rory crowd are out in force this morning. Since they can't actually say any real reason why they think he'd be bad (aside from the usual insults), then I guess they actually worried he might do a good job. ;)

(runs for cover)

OK:

1. He waffles a lot.

2. He fidgets a lot.

3. He slouches in his chair and throws his arm over the back of the chair, thus looking somewhat disrespectful to the audience.

4. Often looks away from the camera when speaking making himself look like he's got something to hide.

5. Just generally doesn't look comfortable in a public arena.

EDIT: I was perhaps a bit harsh calling him "a waste of space" ;) But he's certainly not leadership material.
    He also made a documentary premised on how Hadrian's Wall created an artificial border thus creating England and Scotland before blowing apart his thesis by showing the history of all the kingdoms that spanned the wall. And that England extends past the North of the wall.
This discussion has been closed.