Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Labour’s GB wide share of the vote at the next gene

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Labour’s GB wide share of the vote at the next general election

Ladbrokes have a market up on Labour’s GB wide share of the vote at the next election and this is a market I’m going to avoid for the time being for the following known unknowns

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Crazy market, in what possible world is >50% twice as likely as < 20%.

Personally I like the 20% - 30% band, even with a new party there is a still a lot of value in the brand, in 1983 they still got 27%, for me that's a support level that's hard to dip under.
  • Options
    What a fantastic fight...same time next year for the trilogy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    The 6/1 on 20-30% is the possible value, but no, too many variables in play, not least of which is the four years until the next scheduled election.

I can get 6/1 on Brendon Hartley scoring points in the Singapore demolition derby Grand Prix and it’ll pay out today.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Someone on here tipped Alvarez. They also tipped the draw at 25-1 and it nearly came in:

https://twitter.com/DeclanTaylor87/status/1041181146300604416
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953
    If this was a Betfair market, I think I would simply sell the 16-1 on 50%+. The odds are probably somewhere in the 30 to 50-1 range.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting thought, though I'd be irked if they did split and Labour got 21%.

F1: will peruse the markets fairly soon. Hopefully more of them will have gone up.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    At present the boring 30-40 range looks plausible - assumes a not very effective split and various other factors cancelling out. Given the resilience of the Labour polling in the 37-41 range after what was indubitably a suboptimal summer, it's hard to see it dropping below 30 no matter what. Equally I can't see it soaring past 50%, though low 40s would be possible. A 35-45 range would be odds on.

Since we don't know what the 1997 Tory vote will be doing it's impossible to guess if say 39% will be enough to win.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

At present the boring 30-40 range looks plausible - assumes a not very effective split and various other factors cancelling out. Given the resilience of the Labour polling in the 37-41 range after what was indubitably a suboptimal summer, it's hard to see it dropping below 30 no matter what. Equally I can't see it soaring past 50%, though low 40s would be possible. A 35-45 range would be odds on.

Since we don't know what the 1997 Tory vote will be doing it's impossible to guess if say 39% will be enough to win.

Tick tock
  • Options
    As an aside, I wonder if there's any chance of Davidson becoming the Conservative equivalent of Numa.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited September 2018
    I agree with the lead that there isn't a compelling bet here right now. The best value to me is the 6/1 below 30%, since some sort of event that pushes Labour back down to its historic low isnt impossible; 6/1 is probably close to fair odds. Alternatively you take the view that Brexit will hole the Tories and there'll be no more sensible alternative, and plump for above 40%.
  • Options
    F1: blimey. Still only 11 markets up.

Bit rubbish.
  • Options

As an aside, I wonder if there's any chance of Davidson becoming the Conservative equivalent of Numa.

So who's Dirk Pitt?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I must've missed reading about that particular Roman king/emperor.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tick tock

Ask not for whom the clock ticks...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Of course, one issue with Corbyn is if the boundary review goes through his seat is abolished.

Would he kick out Thornberry to take the combined seat? Would he get another elsewhere as part of the mandatory reselections the Mad Mul...er, Chris Williamson is so forcefully pushing? Or would he take the opportunity to retire gracefully and let someone else have a go?
  • Options
    Evens on 30-40% looks very generous.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I must've missed reading about that particular Roman king/emperor.

I know little about Roman kings or emperors, but as a kid I did read loads of pulp fiction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Underwater_and_Marine_Agency#The_fictional_NUMA

'Numa' will always mean Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino to me, along with a sprinkling of Admiral James Sandecker.

:)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

I reckon 30-40% too, but not keen to tie up money for up to 4 years at evens. the polling stalemate over the last year will break at some point
  • Options

Charles said:

Tick tock

Ask not for whom the clock ticks...
    Well, that's good advice. When the posher clocks stop ticking it usually comes to a bell end.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, ah, fair enough.

Numa was the second king of Rome, and wasn't even in Rome when others decided he should succeed Romulus. He put into place, I think, lots of the long term institutions and laws that served the early republic well. (Although some suggest it was his 'friends' who helpfully suggested making him king).
  • Options
    One of Scotland’s most senior detectives has been assigned to lead the investigation into sex claims against Alex Salmond.

Detective Chief Superintendent Lesley Boal has been drafted in to spearhead the probe, with unprecedented senior resources at her disposal for such an inquiry. As the Head of Public Protection for Scotland, Boal is one of the most highly regarded officers on the force.

It emerged yesterday that Police Scotland had stepped up its operation, with a full blown investigation now underway. And the Sunday Mail has learned Boal will be given “every resource necessary”, with up to four detective chief inspectors at her disposal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-sex-claims-handled-13253766
  • Options

Numa was the second king of Rome, and wasn't even in Rome when others decided he should succeed Romulus. He put into place, I think, lots of the long term institutions and laws that served the early republic well. (Although some suggest it was his 'friends' who helpfully suggested making him king).

As a writer, you should quite like Clive Cussler's books - especially his early ones, before the 'with ... ' authors that are mostly ghost-written. He wrote pretty much the same plot in about a dozen books, most of which sold phenomenally well.

So much so, it's possible to write a 'Clive Cussler plot generator."
    *) Pick an historical event at a dramatic moment as a prologue.
    *) In the modern day, place a professional woman (e.g. UN diplomat) in peril.
    *) Dirk Pitt just so happens to be in the area to rescue her.
    *) The peril the woman faced is from a shadowy group that has connections with the historical event first described.
    *) A threat develops, involving the shadowy group and the historical event.

So, for instance, you might have a prologue about the eruption of Vesuvius.
    In modern-day Australia, a beautiful, intelligent archaeologist is attacked by armed men whilst travelling to a conference. Dirk Pitt, who just so happened to be in the area to test his submersible, sees the attack and breaks it up. Meanwhile, a volcanic eruption in Indonesia appears to have been caused by strange tremors from a nearby mining rig ...

The books got a little boring and samey after a while, but they sold well. The later co-written ones are a bit pants.
  • Options

As a writer, you should quite like Clive Cussler's books - especially his early ones, before the 'with ... ' authors that are mostly ghost-written. He wrote pretty much the same plot in about a dozen books, most of which sold phenomenally well.
    Is it Bernard Cornwell who was said to have written not 33 books, but one book 33 times?
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, ha, I like the Sharpe books a lot but don't get them any more. I don't dislike Cornwell but I have limited reading time and there can be a feeling of excessive familiarity at times.

Mr. Jessop, must admit, some of the Sir Edric stories can be a little too similar (in my defence, a big journey for reason X is in a lot of fantasy). Tried fiddling with it a bit this time around, without taking the Kingdom route of setting it in one city with several trips outside for invasions etc.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

Is it Bernard Cornwell who was said to have written not 33 books, but one book 33 times?
    I don't think that is fair. The 3 Arthur novels are as good as, but different from, the Sharpe series.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

I don't think that is fair. The 3 Arthur novels are as good as, but different from, the Sharpe series.
    In many ways the most interesting and original of his works is Gallows Thief. But read Sharpe, then Thomas of Hookton, and Agincourt, and then the Saxon chronicles and you get a strong feeling of deja vu.
  • Options
    Mind you, this is true of most highly successful authors. Alistair Maclean, Ian Fleming, Dick Francis and Peter Tremayne all have the same feel - even the later Cadfaels of Ellis Peters. This is I think largely because people buy them because they know what they're getting, and like it.

Maclean and Fleming both experimented with their writing styles (e.g. The Last Frontier and The Spy Who Loved Me) and these were very badly received. So you can't blame them for keeping with what works.
  • Options
    Mr. Z, the Warlord Chronicles are my favourite Cornwell books.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985

Mr. Jessop, must admit, some of the Sir Edric stories can be a little too similar (in my defence, a big journey for reason X is in a lot of fantasy). Tried fiddling with it a bit this time around, without taking the Kingdom route of setting it in one city with several trips outside for invasions etc.

My wife's friend, who is something I don't really understand in publishing, says "bottle novels" (ie books set in a single location) are sought after because Life of Pi and Bel Canto turned into money machines however they almost never get submitted for publication.
  • Options
    Mr. Ace, interesting comment.

In Sir Edric's Kingdom, he gets lumbered as a sort of regent because the king's very sick, so he (mostly) has to stay in the capital. I do have vague ideas of a sort-of single location story where he's trapped in a labyrinth or such.

I like the idea of some sort of diplomatic shenanigans in a closed location (summit in a castle) but it's tricky building a comedic plot around that.

Anyway, nearly finished the first draft of the work in progress, so something to consider a bit later on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    If you don't want to be irritated by leadership speculation, luv, then don't call an election and lose a bunch of seats....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45535490
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    ydoethur said:

Of course, one issue with Corbyn is if the boundary review goes through his seat is abolished.

Would he kick out Thornberry to take the combined seat? Would he get another elsewhere as part of the mandatory reselections the Mad Mul...er, Chris Williamson is so forcefully pushing? Or would he take the opportunity to retire gracefully and let someone else have a go?

Thornberry will contest Rochester and Strood.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Just watched the fight, absolute belter. Have it to GGG by two rounds I think - not seen the result yet though. More pucnhes thrown, landed, better accuracy - think he should be the winner.
  • Options
    Arf see it was another questionable decision.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

ydoethur said:

I don't think world popcorn supplies could stand the strain!

Maybe she'll go back to Canterbury? She fought that in 2001 and came close to winning it, and it doesn't look as though Duffield will be standing again.

But Corbyn at over 70 would really be the obvious one to make way.
  • Options

I thought GGG won this one, though not as wide as the first. If they meet again, Alvarez will win it (As well as being judged to have won it) because age will have caught up with Gennady at that point.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    On topic: 20 - 50% is a 104% book here, the split looks about right to me - 30-40 should probably be slightly odds on but it is marginal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Essexit said:

ydoethur said:

Maybe she'll go back to Canterbury? She fought that in 2001 and came close to winning it, and it doesn't look as though Duffield will be standing again.

Yes, it wouldbe an interesting one, but I think Jezza rather enjoys being in parliament.

It may well depend on when the election happens, but if 2022 would be a good time to bow out gracefully. after 7 years at the top most party leaders run out of steam and energy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

F1: blimey. Still only 11 markets up.

Bit rubbish.

Markets seem really slow for this one, looks like it’s going to be a last minute betting rush.

Annoyingly the support races are not televised here, so there’s no live coverage from the track until the drivers’ parade at 11:30 UK time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    I agree that 30-40% should be odds on but probably only just. A serious split could drag Labour back to the 20s and a chaotic no deal Brexit with serious repercussions could get them past 40 as the Tories tear themselves apart. And of course it is possible that the Lib Dems might recover. All of these are significantly less than evens possibilities,even adding them together you get get less than evens. Without any of them it is very hard to see Labour out of the 30-40% range.

FWIW I expect Labour to fall back a bit the next time out, especially if they are still led by Corbyn. I would have liked a 30-35% range.
  • Options
    If anyone is struggling to understand the nuances surrounding Brexit, I've found the pictorial guide at the end of this article extremely helpful. Thank you BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45535490
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, yeah. It's just a bit annoying.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    tlg86 said:

Someone on here tipped Alvarez. They also tipped the draw at 25-1 and it nearly came in:

https://twitter.com/DeclanTaylor87/status/1041181146300604416
    *blushes*

Yes the draw very nearly came in. Fantastic fight I actually thought GGG might have edged it in the later rounds.

But it sort of went as expected. Canelo not (as) afraid and GGG tiring and showing his (grand old) age.
  • Options
    Peak (or should that be trough) Brexitosis?

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1040903048892018688
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    DavidL said:

I agree that 30-40% should be odds on but probably only just. A serious split could drag Labour back to the 20s and a chaotic no deal Brexit with serious repercussions could get them past 40 as the Tories tear themselves apart. And of course it is possible that the Lib Dems might recover. All of these are significantly less than evens possibilities,even adding them together you get get less than evens. Without any of them it is very hard to see Labour out of the 30-40% range.

FWIW I expect Labour to fall back a bit the next time out, especially if they are still led by Corbyn. I would have liked a 30-35% range.

Inclined to agree; strikes me that the bookmakers are having a quiet time and are looking for a market to encourage punters..
    At least in their political division.
  • Options
    King Cole, they can't have a referendum or election every year.

This is the first year since 2013, I think, we haven't had either.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Essexit said:

ydoethur said:

Would be unusual for a party leader to give up his seat!

Why are people so convinced Corbyn will retire? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the hard left to secure long term control of Labour.

If he is called to serve then he will serve the cause.

He will only go willingly once (a) the constitutional structure is changed (b) the parliamentary party has been reconstituted and (c) he can guarantee the movement can choose their own successor.

@SeanT once wrote about a bug that paralyses its prey. That’s a good metaphor here - it looks like Labour, but it’s no longer Labour as we knew it. The sooner that the good lefties such as @RochdalePioneers realised that then the sooner we can build a healthy left party. Frankly I’d donate to that organisation even though I’d have no desire to see it elected.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, I'll believe that (the new party, not your donation to it) when I see it.

Selective blindness and vacillation is the order of the day in Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

@SeanT once wrote about a bug that paralyses its prey. That’s a good metaphor here - it looks like Labour, but it’s no longer Labour as we knew it. The sooner that the good lefties such as @RochdalePioneers realised that then the sooner we can build a healthy left party. Frankly I’d donate to that organisation even though I’d have no desire to see it elected.

The troubles of the Labour Party are rather less weighty than the agonies of Vichy or even the amour-propre — however disguised as agony — of those poor souls serving in the Trump administration. Nevertheless, the same kind of pattern, or architecture of choice, is evident. You can be a loyal foot soldier serving a leadership whose instinct runs to Hamas, not Fatah, and Sinn Fein, not the SDLP. A leadership cadre recruited from the outer fringes of the Labour movement; a leadership of bona fide Trots and tankies who are not, and never have been, social democrats.

Or you can do something different.

the idea that Corbyn is suddenly going to become a different man, driven by different instincts, is equally misplaced. He is who he is. At a certain point, service becomes acquiescence.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/alex-massie-there-isnt-a-better-jeremy-corbyn-out-there-qbs539hcn
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709

Peak (or should that be trough) Brexitosis?

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1040903048892018688

A (restored) spitfire.should fend off Germans bearing BMWs, which as we know they are desperate to sell to us and so will sign up to anything we propose in the easiest deal in history. Question is, though, are they dusting off the V2 flying bomb.as THEIR secret sales tool?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Inclined to agree; strikes me that the bookmakers are having a quiet time and are looking for a market to encourage punters..
    At least in their political division.
    Betting on politics is pretty small beer isn't it
  • Options
    Caewyn Jones on Ridge on Sunday said that Chequers was a move in the right direction and Barry Gardiner on the same programme denied Emily Thornberry said labour would take down any deal negotiated by TM and labour would consider how the deal met its requirements

It comes back to my point over the last few days that when TM agrees the deal and it is announced jointly with TM, Tusk and Juncker, with endorsements from Merkel and Macron it will be very difficult for labour to take it down, just when the voter breathes a great sigh of relief
  • Options
    Well, waiting for more markets to get going and one of the things to change is a decrease in the odds on a Verstappen win, from 4.33 to 3.75. Marvellous.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Essexit said:

ydoethur said:

Why are people so convinced Corbyn will retire? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the hard left to secure long term control of Labour.

He will only go willingly once (a) the constitutional structure is changed (b) the parliamentary party has been reconstituted and (c) he can guarantee the movement can choose their own successor.

Of course, Jezza may wellbe a former leader by 2022!

A lot of the hard lefts grip on Labour is invested in Jezza as an individual, with his marmite-like qualities, I think it far from clear that a fellow traveller would get similar support.

I commented the other night about how I dislike charismatic politicians, who all too often lack the substance needed for effective party management. I would class Jezza with these. Charisma certainly helps with campaigning though. You have to give a fairly cynical populace something to believe in.
  • Options

King Cole, they can't have a referendum or election every year.

This is the first year since 2013, I think, we haven't had either.

Thank the lord says Brenda from Bristol (probably)! And, in spite of once upon a time being an election junkie, so do I.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Mr. Ace, interesting comment.

In Sir Edric's Kingdom, he gets lumbered as a sort of regent because the king's very sick, so he (mostly) has to stay in the capital. I do have vague ideas of a sort-of single location story where he's trapped in a labyrinth or such.

I like the idea of some sort of diplomatic shenanigans in a closed location (summit in a castle) but it's tricky building a comedic plot around that.

Anyway, nearly finished the first draft of the work in progress, so something to consider a bit later on.

You just have to make the location big enough..... Gormenghast.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Caewyn Jones on Ridge on Sunday said that Chequers was a move in the right direction and Barry Gardiner on the same programme denied Emily Thornberry said labour would take down any deal negotiated by TM and labour would consider how the deal met its requirements

It comes back to my point over the last few days that when TM agrees the deal and it is announced jointly with TM, Tusk and Juncker, with endorsements from Merkel and Macron it will be very difficult for labour to take it down, just when the voter breathes a great sigh of relief

Agree; I’m certainly getting the feeling that IF we have a referendum it’ll be ‘Out with this deal’ or ‘Stay in:.
  • Options
    F1: they've added a new market, so I'd guess/hope the full lot will be up over the course of the next hour.

Weirdly, and annoyingly, slow, though.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2018

One of Scotland’s most senior detectives has been assigned to lead the investigation into sex claims against Alex Salmond.

Detective Chief Superintendent Lesley Boal has been drafted in to spearhead the probe, with unprecedented senior resources at her disposal for such an inquiry. As the Head of Public Protection for Scotland, Boal is one of the most highly regarded officers on the force.

It emerged yesterday that Police Scotland had stepped up its operation, with a full blown investigation now underway. And the Sunday Mail has learned Boal will be given “every resource necessary”, with up to four detective chief inspectors at her disposal.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond-sex-claims-handled-13253766

'Every resource necessary' from the police - do alleged crime victims where the accused is not famous also get that?

Seems a lot of resource for an alleged grope in a bedroom however unpleasant it may have been for the women involved. I expect the drug dealers, burglars, muggers, local thugs who commit anti social behaviour on council estates and murderers in Scotland can sleep safe in their beds at a time of constrained police resources! Wouldn't her skills be better deployed?

Should the resources allocated to your reported crime be proportional to the fame of the person alleged to have committed it?
  • Options
    Mr. B, that does raise an interesting point. If you make a castle vast, with varied places within (subterranean tunnels, foetid poor quarters, well-watered gardens of the rich, arcane towers etc) at what point does it cease really being a single location?
  • Options
    Car crash with Sadiq Khan on Marr.

Wants peoples vote (second referendum) as Marr plays back his comprehensive rejection of a second vote last year

Just no integrity anymore
  • Options

Wants peoples vote (second referendum) as Marr plays back his comprehensive rejection of a second vote last year

So just like Theresa May when she repeatedly said she wouldn’t call an early election.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, and look how well that went...
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, and look how well that went...

Well she won. Kinda.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, falling for an ambush is fair enough when you're up against someone like Hannibal.

When you're the one laying the trap, getting caught in it yourself is not an edifying spectacle.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

So just like Theresa May when she repeatedly said she wouldn’t call an early election.
    The difference is that Khan now has a bit more experience of the real world...
  • Options
    Mr. Clipp, the difference is he has the Labour nomination for the 2020 mayoralty contest, isn't it?

London loves the EU. Khan's volte face will go down will with his constituents.
  • Options
    Morning all,

No doubt this has been debated earlier before I surfaced, but Ruth Davidson now out at 50 on BF after Sunday Times front page.
  • Options

Morning all,

No doubt this has been debated earlier before I surfaced, but Ruth Davidson now out at 50 on BF after Sunday Times front page.

Ruth has done an immense service to politics by her admission of self harm and suicide issues and has widely been praised across the political divide

I have zero hope that she will change her mind and that is bad news for labour as her star status rises in Scotland eclipsing the two Englishmen leading labour, Leonard in Scotland and Corbyn
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    brendan16 said:

'Every resource necessary' from the police - do alleged crime victims where the accused is not famous also get that?

Seems a lot of resource for an alleged grope in a bedroom however unpleasant it may have been for the women involved. I expect the drug dealers, burglars, muggers, local thugs who commit anti social behaviour on council estates and murderers in Scotland can sleep safe in their beds at a time of constrained police resources! Wouldn't her skills be better deployed?

Should the resources allocated to your reported crime be proportional to the fame of the person alleged to have committed it?
    I agree. This is absolutely ridiculous and frankly looks a bit vindictive by the Scottish Government.
  • Options

Agree; I’m certainly getting the feeling that IF we have a referendum it’ll be ‘Out with this deal’ or ‘Stay in:.
    Its a big if as the Tories would implode if we held one - and Corbyn still doesn't want one. We also have to bear in mind that 27 other member states and the EU parliament also have to approve any deal - do they wait for us? The 'peoples vote' idea still seems to be very London centric - no doubt there will be another people's march coming soon in London again but nowhere else to promote it.
  • Options

Morning all,

Ruth has done an immense service to politics by her admission of self harm and suicide issues and has widely been praised across the political divide

I have zero hope that she will change her mind and that is bad news for labour as her star status rises in Scotland eclipsing the two Englishmen leading labour, Leonard in Scotland and Corbyn
    Bad news for Tory modernisers and moderates. She was the great future hope. Maybe not for next leader, but one after.

Never is a difficult concept in politics, but very difficult to see how she can now ever run for PM.

It is a bit odd as iirc we were being told only a few weeks ago that she was seriously thinking of jumping down to England and seeking a seat.
  • Options

Morning all,

History would suggest that Ruth is perfectly capable of changing her mind.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Its a big if as the Tories would implode if we held one - and Corbyn still doesn't want one. We also have to bear in mind that 27 other member states and the EU parliament also have to approve any deal - do they wait for us? The 'peoples vote' idea still seems to be very London centric - no doubt there will be another people's march coming soon in London again but nowhere else to promote it.
    Wake me up when Mansfield, Stoke and Hartlepool start marching in their tens of thousands demanding a Further Referendum - with Remain as an option......
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

The other question that is unknown - do all the 27 wants us to stay
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    One appreciates that May failed in terms of Parliamentary arimthmetic in the 2017 GE, but on reflection wasn’t it as much about pushing the next GE to 2022... as a counterfactual, where would we be on Brexit if we were now 18 months, and Brexit day a year away from the GE?
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Of course they do.

Britain in the EU means a larger single market and a population of 65m who just love to buy imported goods.

And - something we rarely talk about - the EU without the U.K. has less standing globally and less coherence. It is a diminished force, can no longer legitimately represent all Europeans, and more likely to be weighed down by North-South tensions.

Brexit is lose-lose. Remain is win-win.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited September 2018

brendan16 said:

Of course they do.

Britain in the EU means a larger single market and a population of 65m who just love to buy imported goods.

And - something we rarely talk about - the EU without the U.K. has less standing globally and less coherence. It is a diminished force, can no longer legitimately represent all Europeans, and more likely to be weighed down by North-South tensions.

I think that may be challenged by many

Your last paragraph could have been penned by a Brexiteer
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

brendan16 said:

Of course they do.

In theory they may prefer us being in. The practical politicians who see the EU as (still) primarily about the economic benefits would. But divorce it for a moment from the economics. The clock can't be reset. The process has already cost billions in preparations and forced relocations.

The UK has declared that, instinctively, it is opposed to EU membership. Is it really to anybody's benefit that that is overlooked, probably when that feeling has barely changed? When we would likely be going back in with no rebate and many other opt outs removed. When the UK would have almost zero influence in future because a UK that has tried to leave and failed would have lost its ultimate trump card that meant they had to be listened to? And where, let's not forget, they could elect a government committed to triggering Article 50 again, on the back of a more planned process?
  • Options

Morning all,

Bad news for Tory modernisers and moderates. She was the great future hope. Maybe not for next leader, but one after.

Never is a difficult concept in politics, but very difficult to see how she can now ever run for PM.

It is a bit odd as iirc we were being told only a few weeks ago that she was seriously thinking of jumping down to England and seeking a seat.
    She would still make a great Health Secretary....
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Morning all,

History would suggest that Ruth is perfectly capable of changing her mind.
    If called upon to serve, and in the interests of my party and country over my own selfish preferences...

• Options
    Rexel56 said:

One appreciates that May failed in terms of Parliamentary arimthmetic in the 2017 GE, but on reflection wasn’t it as much about pushing the next GE to 2022... as a counterfactual, where would we be on Brexit if we were now 18 months, and Brexit day a year away from the GE?

Yes, and with the transition due to last until December 2020 the next GE would have had to occur before negotiations on the future trade deal could be completed.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

brendan16 said:

Of course they do.

Strange then they have made so little effort to get us to stay.

Interestingly when I was in Italy last month several Italians bought up the Eu with me.

They are not happy bunnies.

More than one person basically aid they were waiting to see how we got on before deciding if they wanted to leave.

The EU knows this - no wonder they are acting as they are.

What a great club eh?

Get people in, strip away democracy and lock them in on the quiet and punish any dissenters.

Oh and run interest rates and general policy for the benefit of Germany - remind me how that worked out for Spain, Italy and Greece amongst others.

As for our politicians who lied to us and connived in tying us to that bloated mess they should be ashamed.

There is a reason why the remainers have project fear on 24/7 (laughable as it is) - no one can articulate a positive vision of EU membership.

Why is that?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

To be fair, there have been Peoples Vote marches all over the country, so there seems to be some sort of a national call. How many of them were Londoners bussed in, I don’t know..... I haven’t been on one; my marching days are, I fear, done.
    As far as the rest of the EU is concerned I get the feeling that none of the 27 want to see us leave, although their reasons may be different.

Whichever way it goes I fear there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people on one side or the other, and it will take a long time for the divisions to be healed!
  • Options
    "Russia is a normal capitalist country" - GG - discuss...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1041264229976879104
  • Options
    When Toby Young just isn't gamey enough for you.

https://twitter.com/lewisiwu/status/1041269983362330626

• Options
    Betting Post

F1: be a little while before the blog's up so here's something that caught my eye right away: Raikkonen to be winner without Vettel or Hamilton, 7.5 (8 with boost), fifth the odds top three for each way.

It's effectively a bet for him to be top 5 (or top 3 if Vettel and Hamilton both DNF). Given the reliability failings of Red Bull and the fact that the top three teams are a league above everyone else, it'd be quite unlucky to fail.
  • Options
    F1: took me less time than I thought. Anyway, pre-race ramble is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/09/singapore-pre-race-2018.html
  • Options

You mean just like the voters breathed a huge sigh of relief when May announced that the Cabinet had approved Chequers? Or when Cameron announced his renegotiation?

Not going to happen. May cannot do a deal that will satisfy the voters and her attempts to spin will convince nobody. You may breathe a sigh of relief that May has sold out on Brexit but the majority of her party and her voters won’t see it that way. Which is why she will never get a deal approved. You can’t have the losers dictating terms to the winners. That is not democracy.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2018
    DavidL said:

brendan16 said:

I agree. This is absolutely ridiculous and frankly looks a bit vindictive by the Scottish Government.
    Disagree. This removed any possibility of Salmond being able to play the "botched investigation" card. It's not vindictive, it's water tight.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    "The only thing people in debt have in common other than bad money management, is an ability to blame anyone but themselves."

K Hopkins
  • Options
    Charles said:

I agree with part of this - Jeremy won't have the slightest trouble in finding a seat, and he won't stand down for comfort and a quiet life: "if called then he will serve the cause" is exactly right. Foxy is right that the left doesn't have a clear successor, though - the inner circle is really just McDonnell and Abbott (neither of whom want the leadership on health grounds).

A reasonably successful new centre-left party would leave the Tories in power for at least another 10 years and quite possibly 20, while the opposition fought it out. That, rather than zealous loyalty or paralysis, is what is keeping moderates in the party. They would in my opinion lose an SDP vs Labour showdown, and even if they "won" (in terms of getting more votes) it would poison the well for a decade or more. They recognise that Jeremy won't carry on indefinitely and see a reasonable chance of liking his successor - it's worth noting that the anti-Momentum slate got about 40% of the votes.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Morning all,

That tells you nothing about RD and a lot about crappy journalism.
  • Options

"The only thing people in debt have in common other than bad money management, is an ability to blame anyone but themselves."

K Hopkins

Or they get involved in expensive legal cases which they can't be certain they can win - because what ever the result the lawyers always do!

• Options
    brendan16 said:

K Hopkins

Or they get involved in expensive legal cases which they can't be certain they can win - because what ever the result the lawyers always do!

Bull.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1041007558457217024
  • Options

Charles said:

I agree with part of this - Jeremy won't have the slightest trouble in finding a seat, and he won't stand down for comfort and a quiet life: "if called then he will serve the cause" is exactly right. Foxy is right that the left doesn't have a clear successor, though - the inner circle is really just McDonnell and Abbott (neither of whom want the leadership on health grounds).

A reasonably successful new centre-left party would leave the Tories in power for at least another 10 years and quite possibly 20, while the opposition fought it out. That, rather than zealous loyalty or paralysis, is what is keeping moderates in the party. They would in my opinion lose an SDP vs Labour showdown, and even if they "won" (in terms of getting more votes) it would poison the well for a decade or more. They recognise that Jeremy won't carry on indefinitely and see a reasonable chance of liking his successor - it's worth noting that the anti-Momentum slate got about 40% of the votes.
    More or less what happened last time. And, if National Labour was ‘centrist’, the time before. and maybe what happened if, see above, the Liberal Unionists could be described as Centrists.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988

You mean just like the voters breathed a huge sigh of relief when May announced that the Cabinet had approved Chequers? Or when Cameron announced his renegotiation?

Not going to happen. May cannot do a deal that will satisfy the voters and her attempts to spin will convince nobody. You may breathe a sigh of relief that May has sold out on Brexit but the majority of her party and her voters won’t see it that way. Which is why she will never get a deal approved. You can’t have the losers dictating terms to the winners. That is not democracy.
    In years to come, when the young generation ask May "How could you let that happen?" her defence will be the Adolph Eichmann defence "I was only following orders"

Her orders were a slim majority in a dodgy advisory referendum and against her own judgement.

Her position is supine, immoral and totally lacking in leadership. History will judge her very harshly. Unless she surprises us in the end game.
This discussion has been closed.