Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Where do the Lib Dems go fro

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Where do the Lib Dems go from here?

Keiran Pedley is joined by Mark Pack of the Lib Dem Newswire to discuss this week’s Lib Dem conference. Keiran and Mark discuss how the conference went and where the party goes from here and Mark gives everyone an outside tip on who the next Lib Dem leader might be when Vince Cable steps down.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First, like Moran?
  • Options
    Second, like Man City?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Status Quo/Down down, deeper and down....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Nowhere fast.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited September 2018
    Anyone see today's Lib-Dem PPB?

I'm sure it fleetingly shows Layla Moran MP walking along a canal bank with little Owen Jones? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Who are these Lib Dems of which you speak?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    edited September 2018
    What an utterly crap splash. One bloke who knows Theresa May says Chequers is dead. Hands up who has never heard of Sir Mike Penning?
  • Options
    What happened to "one resignation a week"?
  • Options
    I would bloody hope they have discussed it, as one option. Otherwise, it is a dereliction of duty by the Cabinet.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Anazina said:

What an utterly crap splash. One bloke who knows Theresa May says Chequers is dead. Hands up who has never heard of Sir Mike Penning?
    Yup. If she’s losing Penning, she’s struggling.

• Options
    Telegraph memo:

"Ruth Davidson - saved the day in 2017, but not in the Commons."

So, clearly not been updated with last week's news.
  • Options
    Telegraph memo:

"Rory Stewart - acquired taste. Might bid but won't succeed this time round."
  • Options

:lol:

To quote OGH, it is all piss and wind.
  • Options
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited September 2018
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Why he is one of the IDS acolytes! Penning is anti-EU from his head to his toes. His comments mean nothing in terms of general thoughts of Tory MPs. Embarrassing for Penning that he backed Theresa for leadership outside the H of C in 2016. I remember the picture.
  • Options

Boris's rag - what do you expect
  • Options

I would bloody hope they have discussed it, as one option. Otherwise, it is a dereliction of duty by the Cabinet.
    +1
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Anazina said:

What an utterly crap splash. One bloke who knows Theresa May says Chhequers is dead. Hands up who has never heard of Sir Mike Penning?
    The Telegraph appears to have become Johnson’s slavish PR publication. And like him, it’s not very convincing.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2018
    "Ian Paisley six-week recall petition closes"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45568086
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Anazina said:

What an utterly crap splash. One bloke who knows Theresa May says Chhequers is dead. Hands up who has never heard of Sir Mike Penning?
    The Telegraph appears to have become Johnson’s slavish PR publication. And like him, it’s not very convincing.

They are preparing themselves for when he becomes editor.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Why he is one of the IDS acolytes! Penning is anti-EU from his head to his toes. His comments mean nothing in terms of general thoughts of Tory MPs. Embarrassing for Penning that he backed Theresa for leadership outside the H of C in 2016. I remember the picture.
    He is a loyalist.

He worked for Hague, IDS, and was junior minister under Camo and May.

If she’s losing loyalists, she’s struggling.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

He was an IDS zealot. My path in life has crossed with him in the past and I have taken interest in his political career ever since, I hardly call being the spin doctor for the Maastricht backbench rebellion mainstream. You are talking nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Penning

• Options
    Corbyn ultra outriders are on the back foot tonight:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1042501040795471872
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

A complete and utter nobody who nobody in real life has ever heard of.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

He was an IDS zealot. My paths have crossed with him in the past and I have taken interest in his political career ever since, I hardly call being the spin doctor for the Maastricht backbench rebellion mainstream. You are talking nonsense.
    I don’t think you understand the backbenches. Especially the loyalist brigade, which makes up the majority of them.

• Options
    Apols if posted before:

Brexit Doomsayer Ryanair Forges Ahead With U.K. Expansion Plan

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-12/brexit-doomsayer-ryanair-forges-ahead-with-u-k-expansion-plan
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Apols posted this as @Billy_No_Mates on the previous thread when everyone had switched to this one without telling me :disappointed:

Assuming, as I currently do, that a modified Chequers is agreed with the EU and then presented for approval to parliament, what are the chances that TMay will make it a confidence issue?

And if she does will the ERG still vote against in sufficient numbers to bring the Government down?

Or will she hope to draw sufficient Labour rebel support if she does not make it a confidence issue?

Just asking.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    A poll out in Texas has the Democrat leading by 2%, the first poll in any statewide election there (Senate or Governor, that is) to have a Democrat leading in history - at least as far back as Wikipedia goes. It's possible a poll or two is missing from old races, but I think this is the first time a Democrat has led since at least 2000.

Of course most polls still have Cruz a few points clear, but exciting times nonetheless. The current odds (GOP 1/3, Dems a little under 2/1) seem fair to me.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    The LDs clearly aim to hold the balance of power in what is increasingly likely to be another hung parliament at the next general election on current polls and they will use that power to either force a second EU referendum or keep the UK in or as close as possible to the single market and customs union
  • Options

Apols posted this as @Billy_No_Mates on the previous thread when everyone had switched to this one without telling me :disappointed:

Assuming, as I currently do, that a modified Chequers is agreed with the EU and then presented for approval to parliament, what are the chances that TMay will make it a confidence issue?

And if she does will the ERG still vote against in sufficient numbers to bring the Government down?

Or will she hope to draw sufficient Labour rebel support if she does not make it a confidence issue?

Just asking.

0% - issues cannot be made confidence votes since introduction of the FTPA.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

A poll out in Texas has the Democrat leading by 2%, the first poll in any statewide election there (Senate or Governor, that is) to have a Democrat leading in history - at least as far back as Wikipedia goes. It's possible a poll or two is missing from old races, but I think this is the first time a Democrat has led since at least 2000.

Of course most polls still have Cruz a few points clear, but exciting times nonetheless. The current odds (GOP 1/3, Dems a little under 2/1) seem fair to me.

Oh please, please, make it happen...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

He was an IDS zealot. My paths have crossed with him in the past and I have taken interest in his political career ever since, I hardly call being the spin doctor for the Maastricht backbench rebellion mainstream. You are talking nonsense.
    I don’t think you understand the backbenches. Especially the loyalist brigade, which makes up the majority of them.

All I am saying is he is not mainstream. His political career has been and gone. What has he got to be loyal about? As I said I have encountered him many years ago and I have taken an interest in how things developed for him since. He is an anti - Europe zealot. Maastricht MP rebellion adviser, agent for Teddy Taylor in the past. This is not mainstream opinion.
  • Options

Just asking.

She can't make it a confidence issue. She can only swear it is one, and will resign immediately if the vote is lost. Not the same imho. The rebels would have to believe her.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

The way they are going a fair number will be out of Parliament altogether
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Mortimer said:

Just asking.

Really? Someone should tell JRM:

"Rees-Mogg confirmed that he would vote against the Chequers deal in the Commons but that he hoped the government would not make it a confidence matter, adding that to conflate the two would be a mistake."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexiters-jacob-rees-mogg-no-deal-chuck-chequers
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    HYUFD said:

The LDs clearly aim to hold the balance of power in what is increasingly likely to be another hung parliament at the next general election on current polls and they will use that power to either force a second EU referendum or keep the UK in or as close as possible to the single market and customs union

The Lib Dems don’t even hold the balance of power in the Lib Dems never mind parliament.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

All I am saying is he is not mainstream. His political career has been and gone. What has he got to be loyal about? As I said I have encountered him many years ago and I have taken an interest in how things developed for him since. He is an anti - Europe zealot. Maastricht MP rebellion adviser, agent for Teddy Taylor in the past. This is not mainstream opinion.
    That is mainstream opinion ....... in Mortimer’s house.
  • Options

Just asking.

I expect a deal will receive a huge fanfare by the Government and the EU 27 and she will place it before the HOC and it will pass. The ultras on both sides will go off on one but the other option of no deal Brexit or stay in the EU is far worse

However, I expect this is the most likely scenario but who knows anything in this whole sorry mess.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

The way they are going a fair number will be out of Parliament altogether
    Sadly, the moderates tend to be overrepresented in marginal seats and the extremists tend to be in the safer seats. So the smaller the PCP, the less mainstream it becomes. Just look at 1997 and 2001. I still voted for them despite me not liking the direction they were travelling in at the time as I thought too much support for Blair with no opposition was bad for the country.
  • Options

Just asking.

I expect a deal will receive a huge fanfare by the Government and the EU 27 and she will place it before the HOC and it will pass. The ultras on both sides will go off on one but the other option of no deal Brexit or stay in the EU is far worse

However, I expect this is the most likely scenario but who knows anything in this whole sorry mess.
    I think you are right Big_G.

And from the other replies it is clear that I (and possibly JRM) misunderstood the FTPA. It will not be a confidence motion but, assuming she can cut a deal with the EU, I think sufficient MPs from across the House will vote for it because the alternative is far worse.
  • Options
    G-man

I reckon May will swing in. It will be put up or shut up: sign a deal which is EEA-lite or screw the economy. Anyone even vaguely sane will take it.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

House? Us eurosceptic young fogeys tend to live in castles....
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

Maybe Mortimer just believes everything in the press! Some of us know better than to trust the media particularly if we know the people involved and their past.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

G-man

I reckon May will swing in. It will be put up or shut up: sign a deal which is EEA-lite or screw the economy. Anyone even vaguely sane will take it.

+1 Good summary.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

It seems it’s mainstream in someone else’s house too.
    https://twitter.com/stevebakerhw/status/1042530515323183105?s=21
  • Options

Just asking.

I think you are right Big_G.

And from the other replies it is clear that I (and possibly JRM) misunderstood the FTPA. It will not be a confidence motion but, assuming she can cut a deal with the EU, I think sufficient MPs from across the House will vote for it because the alternative is far worse.
    Really pleasant way for my evening to close with a genuine across party consensus

Have a relaxing nights rest Ben, and all my fellow posters

Good night folks
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

The Lib Dems don’t even hold the balance of power in the Lib Dems never mind parliament.
    Add a few more seats next time and they could well do so again
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Just asking.

Really? Someone should tell JRM:

"Rees-Mogg confirmed that he would vote against the Chequers deal in the Commons but that he hoped the government would not make it a confidence matter, adding that to conflate the two would be a mistake."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexiters-jacob-rees-mogg-no-deal-chuck-chequers
    She can make it a confidence issue in herself, but not in the Government.

The people that can make it a confidence issue in the Government are the DUP.

Even if a no confidence motion is passed, there are still 14 days to reverse it. It is a bit ambiguous but in theory May could lose a VONC, resign as PM and another MP (a Tory in this case) could form a Government and win a VONC within 14 days. This may be relevant if the DUP vote out May over the backstop. The PM does not have to be leader of the Conservative Party.

May might threaten to call a GE if she loses her deal, but she can’t.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

lol - They say you can gauge a person by the company they keep. IDS, Maastricht rebels and the like. Mike Penning is not mainstream.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

He is a loyalist.

Lol!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Well, I, for one, am looking forward to my full-fat, diamond hard, Britannia-rules-the-waves, League-of-Empire-Loyalists Brexit. In these matters I take my whip from JRM, may he reign a thousand years.
  • Options
    Thinking Chequers dead is hardly a bat-shit crazy notion.

The issue is: what replaces it?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Well, I, for one, am looking forward to my full-fat, diamond hard, Britannia-rules-the-waves, League-of-Empire-Loyalists Brexit. In these matters I take my whip from JRM, may he reign a thousand years.

:)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

It was declared dead the instant it was announced, which was pretty much confirmed not that long after when the EU, naturally, indicated they needed more concessions, which May would struggle to provide. I don't think the question is what replaces it, since in terms of a deal that can be voted on it will clearly have to contain more concessions to the EU even if hopefully they concede on some other stuff, and therefore the question is, with Chequers being dead, are Tory MPs prepared to vote for Chequers-lite, whatever that is, so long as they can pretend it is Chequers?

I remain baffled as to why, if there are viable other directions, that the MPs implacably opposed to Chequers, and there are plenty, have not acted. Waiting for May to present Chequers-lite and voting it down still seems a waste of preperation time - even if enough want no deal (and even if those who want other options eg GE or referendum cannot organise sufficiently to prevent default no deal) surely they'd want as much time as possible to manage that, not all that preposterous 'it's a terrible, idiot plan, but I am in no way against the PM' crap, which I can only presume is the same as the claims Cameron could stay on as PM if the EUref was lost - everyone who said it knew Cameron would politically be castrated and need to stand down, so they could publicly appear loyal by saying it, while being confident he would still go.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited September 2018
    For possibly the first time I agree with@archer. If she wants to concentrate backbench minds, threatening an election would be better than threatening to resign as PM.
    She can of course, as Labour en masses some to see Corbyn as PM, the rest as the only way to be rid of him, and pro-Chequers anti ERG Tories will vote for it.
  • Options

Just asking.

She can't make it a confidence issue. She can only swear it is one, and will resign immediately if the vote is lost. Not the same imho. The rebels would have to believe her.
    One of those things where the distinction between a formal confidence issue and an informal one may not be that important, frankly.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Just asking.

It's the brinkmanship that worries me, which is why I would make such a terrible negotiator - the language gets so ramped up that it becomes easy to believe that ultras, remain or leave, UK or EU, will back themselves into a corner and will be willing to chance it all crashing down rather than backtrack significantly, on the assumption the other side would not be so stupid as to do so. Clearly if we understood each other better we'd not have been in this situation in the first place, so banking on the other backing down is fraught with problems. And that's not including those perfectly willing to see things fall down rather than cross specific red lines. I don't even begrudge those willing to be that stubborn, if that is what their true beliefs lead them to think they should do (indeed, if that is what they think, I think they should have scuppered things a lot sooner), but then there are others who shift position for other reasons, seeking another goal at the risk of crashing it all down rather than get something, and getting nothing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It was declared dead the instant it was announced, which was pretty much confirmed not that long after when the EU, naturally, indicated they needed more concessions, which May would struggle to provide. I don't think the question is what replaces it, since in terms of a deal that can be voted on it will clearly have to contain more concessions to the EU even if hopefully they concede on some other stuff, and therefore the question is, with Chequers being dead, are Tory MPs prepared to vote for Chequers-lite, whatever that is, so long as they can pretend it is Chequers?

I remain baffled as to why, if there are viable other directions, that the MPs implacably opposed to Chequers, and there are plenty, have not acted. Waiting for May to present Chequers-lite and voting it down still seems a waste of preperation time - even if enough want no deal (and even if those who want other options eg GE or referendum cannot organise sufficiently to prevent default no deal) surely they'd want as much time as possible to manage that, not all that preposterous 'it's a terrible, idiot plan, but I am in no way against the PM' crap, which I can only presume is the same as the claims Cameron could stay on as PM if the EUref was lost - everyone who said it knew Cameron would politically be castrated and need to stand down, so they could publicly appear loyal by saying it, while being confident he would still go.
    Obviously the ERG don’t have the numbers at this point, but they are calculating that will change either (1) May can’t get a deal and resigns or (2) Chequers lite arrives and faced with a real deal, rather than just hypotheticals, the public and Tory MPs go crazy and it becomes obvious there is no way to get it through the Commons. That is the time to strike and CETA is a well worked out alternative plan.
  • Options
    So basically this "talking head" has no idea what's going to happen and is hedging his bets. :D
  • Options
    May's position seems to be that her Chequers proposal has been pronounced dead. As a dodo or otherwise.

She cannot accept anything less than Chequers, because her party will support neither it nor her - which ends up with the EU talking to Boris or somesuch, and most likely they will get a diamond hard Brexit and no cash.

So the EU is left in the position of having to offer her something MORE than she asked for.

Which, if that was her intended position all along, then as a negotiator, I have to take my hat off to her. But I just can't believe it was that thought out - or that it is very likely to be delivered...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Obviously the ERG don’t have the numbers at this point, but they are calculating that will change either (1) May can’t get a deal and resigns or (2) Chequers lite arrives and faced with a real deal, rather than just hypotheticals, the public and Tory MPs go crazy and it becomes obvious there is no way to get it through the Commons. That is the time to strike and CETA is a well worked out alternative plan.
    With the ERG voting against it, and they have been clear on that for a long time, CHequers let alone CHequers lite already couldn't get through the Commons as I doubt there are enough Labour Mps will will make up for the ERG crowd voting against it - what would it matter for them to be clear that in order for them to get a different plan through that means May must go, rather than the faintly pathetic demands she change it, which she isn't, thus denying them the time to even try their plan? I don't see the benefit to acting later rather than now, or months ago - even if they don't succeed, they'll have tried and they might still win by the default option occurring. Push it back long enough and some of them might well lose their nerve.
  • Options

That is the time to strike and CETA is a well worked out alternative plan.

You're sounding like HYUFD. CETA still requires us to sign the backstop, and moreover will make the backstop operational.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

May's position seems to be that her Chequers proposal has been pronounced dead. As a dodo or otherwise.

She cannot accept anything less than Chequers, because her party will support neither it nor her - which ends up with the EU talking to Boris or somesuch, and most likely they will get a diamond hard Brexit and no cash.

So the EU is left in the position of having to offer her something MORE than she asked for.

Which, if that was her intended position all along, then as a negotiator, I have to take my hat off to her. But I just can't believe it was that thought out - or that it is very likely to be delivered...

Having left it so damn late to decide what to even ask for it may well be the best strategy she could employ, and attempts to match the EU's stubbornness (at least from that point moving forward) but with the added strength that while they don't want to shift and don't think they have to, she probably really cannot shift significantly and since they have eyes and ears and know her time is limited, they might well believe it.

However, that doesn't mean they care enough to bend on the key points, and I certainly don't believe that would have been the strategy all along - I don't buy the theories that May is, essentially, the sharpest political operator of the modern age in that she formulated this plan, will have had to have fooled her Cabinet into thinking she had some other plan or was still trying to come up with one (since if they knew it would leak, and not all would have gone along with it), and then executed it all perfectly.

As you say the chances of it being delivered do not seem great. More likely she is, as she appears, operating on surviving day to day, and she put off the decision as long as possible to hold the competing factions together, and hopes in a mad dash to the finish line no one has the time or coordination to scupper whatever the hell she can cobble together from the EU.
  • Options

People should certainly work on the assumption that May is a very skilled political operator and that her positions shouldn't be taken at face value.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2018
    Interesting podcast.

I would agree that there's little political sense in the Lib Dems apologising for the Coalition. And that's despite the fact that I personally think the Coalition's record was generally horrendous, think these so-called "moderates" who bore on about how it was a golden period of government are out of their minds, and also think the Lib Dems were laughably weak and cowardly in their dealings with the Conservatives.

But, even so, I can't see how the LibDems saying "we also admit we messed up, we're sorry" is going to gain votes. I don't think when a politician apologises that the public hears the humility, I think they just hear the admission of wrongdoing. I thought the same during all the calls for Labour to apologise for supposedly "overspending" during the last government - apart from, in my view, being completely untrue, it seemed ridiculous as strategy.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    So from all the discussions on this, will the ERG and DUP vote against this?
  • Options
    Don't see how she survives that concession.

The letters will go in the moment that is confirmed.
  • Options
    If that's true then hand's up who's shocked at Theresa May making another concession . . .
  • Options

Telegraph memo:

Not just Ruth Davidson! The memo has JRM as the betting favourite (see the Boris entry) so must be at least several weeks if not months old. The description of Jeremy Hunt as a dark horse suggests it pre-dates Boris's resignation as Foreign Secretary. Amber Rudd's entry mentions Windrush.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/19/leaked-tory-dossier-reveals-secret-plan-replace-theresa-may/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018

• Options
    edited September 2018

If that's true then hand's up who's shocked at Theresa May making another concession . . .

I am quite surprised actually as I thought the one thing she'd never concede on is anything that will piss off the DUP who she's entirely reliant on to stay in power...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited September 2018
    The North Antrim by election has just got very interesting, assuming enough people signed the petition. I wonder if May has been told the result?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2018

Brenda's seat then went onto have the biggest Labour increase of any constituency in the country....
  • Options
    It is far better to wait until we see the final documentation before trying to second guess the contents.

Fun as never-ending speculation can be for some people, it really isn't getting anyone anywhere.

I am waiting until the end of the process before reaching a judgement. There is still so much that can and will change.
  • Options

It is far better to wait until we see the final documentation before trying to second guess the contents.

Fun as never-ending speculation can be for some people, it really isn't getting anyone anywhere.

I am waiting until the end of the process before reaching a judgement. There is still so much that can and will change.
    The sanest post tonight. Including mine :-)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Then what? No deal that Boris could concoct (assuming he could be arsed to do one) would get through the HoC.

The ERG are in the position of having to give May more than she asked for...
  • Options
    I don't know about you, but I find the thought of 42 year-old prime ministers reasonably depressing in much the same vein as I find 38 year-old cricketers and racing drivers desperately reassuring...
  • Options

I agree - it was posted in response to the “May concessions” story.
  • Options

The sanest post tonight. Including mine :-)
    Thanks - and thankfully I still have a few sane moments each day!

I think we should do what they did on The West Wing to avoid saying the word 'recession' - they replaced it with 'bagel'

So perhaps we can agree to refer to Brexit as Bagel from now on. Talking about baked goods might be more entertaining.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited September 2018
    I am surprised that they are announcing the recall petition result in the middle of the night. I would have thought they could have waited until the morning for that one.

Also, it is taking a very long time to actually do the counting - considering it was closed at 5pm and there are only 3 centres...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I am quite surprised actually as I thought the one thing she'd never concede on is anything that will piss off the DUP who she's entirely reliant on to stay in power...
    Even I have no issue with checks on goods passing between GB and NI. This would be necessary for the ERG plan as well. The issue is whether NI is under a different regulatory and customs regime than the rest of the UK. So even if this report is true it may or may not be important.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Telegraph memo:

Not just Ruth Davidson! The memo has JRM as the betting favourite (see the Boris entry) so must be at least several weeks if not months old. The description of Jeremy Hunt as a dark horse suggests it pre-dates Boris's resignation as Foreign Secretary. Amber Rudd's entry mentions Windrush.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/19/leaked-tory-dossier-reveals-secret-plan-replace-theresa-may/
    Note also 2 different spellings of manoeuvre/ er, and incredible as error for credible under Liddington. The most transparent hoax since the Hitler diaries.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    GIN1138 said:

So basically this "talking head" has no idea what's going to happen and is hedging his bets. :D
    Thus proving himself a lot wiser than many of us here...
  • Options
    Gin

We seemed to have entered an era where ‘bloke no normal person has ever heard of equivocates about something no normal person understands’ is considered news.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

I am surprised that they are announcing the recall petition result in the middle of the night. I would have thought they could have waited until the morning for that one.

Also, it is taking a very long time to actually do the counting - considering it was closed at 5pm and there are only 3 centres...

Do the signatures have to be verified?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Do the signatures have to be verified?
    I don't know what procedures they had in place - but I assume that people had to verify that they were on the electoral roll for the constituency. And given that NI voters have special voting ID cards, that should have been done at the point of signing the petition.

If it wasn't, it certainly should have been!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Recall fails.
    twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1042570314440474629

Despite a last ditch effort from Sinn Fein... ;)