Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » While the nation faces huge and historic issues over Brexit La

13»

Comments

• Options

I think that shows the real fear - the EU don't want Singapore-on-Thames. I'm not sure we could do it, but it would be interesting.
    Drop corporation tax to 10 - 12% would terrify them and Ireland.

That's been my proposal all along. Walk away from the backstop talks until they're prepared to reach a technological solution as equals, in the meantime prepare Plan B which starts with corporation tax.
    ... and say that the government backed retail bank deposit guarantee scheme only applies to banks headquartered and paying CT in the UK.
  • Options

I think that shows the real fear - the EU don't want Singapore-on-Thames. I'm not sure we could do it, but it would be interesting.
    The actual long term future of the UK will no doubt look like that.

it's the model for what happens if we can't agree one that makes the difference.
  • Options

...and also the old, the young, the sick, the poor, and anyone else who relies on public services in the UK.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

JonathanD said:

TOPPING said:

This morning I have had time to consider the events of yesterday and my reaction to them.

The one constant in the British character is a desire for fair play and decency and the EU leaders failed that test yesterday. They showed that they are a little better than children, laughing smugly as they humiliated the female Prime Minister of a sovereign state, a group of men huddled closely together bearing down on her, as has been displayed on the front pages of most newspapers today.

Tusk thinks it is funny to publicly offer her a tray of cakes with the cherries removed while they all giggle like children, Macron parrots Adonis’s line word for word, and Juncker’s makes his normal pathetic and disingenuous words of welcome.

I have had enough of them and not only my wife but my family Whatsapp messages are equally furious with them and all back TM sticking to her guns or walking away.

[RAGING AGAINST THE MOON SNIPPED]

They have way overplayed their hand and there will be consequences for them and especially many tens of thousands of EU workers

V nice Big G; sad to say or perhaps it's just as well you don't get to say what the "British character" is. Your post, understandably, is desperate. Because you have realised finally what Brexit means - no longer a rich man's plaything but undermining real people who can least afford it.

So what if you and your family have had enough? Now you want to walk away? And Airbus? And the rest?

This is a gruelling negotiation with an entity who at every stage has told us what Brexit would and could actually mean. Archie may have realised this, so did many others. It's reality bites time.

I would take a chill pill if I were you - the British public has voted to f&ck the nation (cf voting in a Labour government) and those of us on the losing side must just suck it up.
    So are you saying the British character is not one of fair play and decency. I am not desperate just angry at the behavior of the EU

It is TM deal or no deal for me and I would expect for many
    The British character is one of fair play and decency which is why the behaviour and false promises of Leave during the referendum should be accounted for.
    On that I do agree and remember I voted remain, but the remain side entered project fear which did not come about
    Brexit hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

Corporation tax to 10%. VAT to 5% (or abolished) - Lets get moving. :D
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

This morning I have had time to consider the events of yesterday and my reaction to them.

The one constant in the British character is a desire for fair play and decency and the EU leaders failed that test yesterday. They showed that they are a little better than children, laughing smugly as they humiliated the female Prime Minister of a sovereign state, a group of men huddled closely together bearing down on her, as has been displayed on the front pages of most newspapers today.

Tusk thinks it is funny to publicly offer her a tray of cakes with the cherries removed while they all giggle like children, Macron parrots Adonis’s line word for word, and Juncker’s makes his normal pathetic and disingenuous words of welcome.

I have had enough of them and not only my wife but my family Whatsapp messages are equally furious with them and all back TM sticking to her guns or walking away.

They think they are so clever but they misjudged the British when they think they can attack with glee our Prime Minister and I would expect this misjudgment will rebound in ways they do not expect.

The question now is do we want to have anything to do with them other than trade which if necessary will be on WTO and right now I would imagine a resounding voice of be gone would rise from the Country.

If the second referendum (dishonest people’s vote) campaign think they will have even a remote chance of getting a referendum, far less winning, they are not facing how much the EU will now be despised.

They had their chance yesterday to act professionally and negotiate accordingly and instead they acted out an ambush and put turbo boosters under the ERG and Farage. I have apologised to Aussie Archer for some of my disagreements with him as yesterday’s events seem to have shown he was on the ball with a lot of his posts

This is a very sad day for the whole of Europe and I hope the Irish PM is ready for the consequences of a hard Brexit and his land bridge to Europe closed.

They have way overplayed their hand and there will be consequences for them and especially many tens of thousands of EU workers

F A L K L A N D S M O M E N T
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

JonathanD said:

TOPPING said:

[RAGING AGAINST THE MOON SNIPPED]

V nice Big G; sad to say or perhaps it's just as well you don't get to say what the "British character" is. Your post, understandably, is desperate. Because you have realised finally what Brexit means - no longer a rich man's plaything but undermining real people who can least afford it.

So what if you and your family have had enough? Now you want to walk away? And Airbus? And the rest?

This is a gruelling negotiation with an entity who at every stage has told us what Brexit would and could actually mean. Archie may have realised this, so did many others. It's reality bites time.

I would take a chill pill if I were you - the British public has voted to f&ck the nation (cf voting in a Labour government) and those of us on the losing side must just suck it up.
    So are you saying the British character is not one of fair play and decency. I am not desperate just angry at the behavior of the EU

It is TM deal or no deal for me and I would expect for many
    The British character is one of fair play and decency which is why the behaviour and false promises of Leave during the referendum should be accounted for.
    On that I do agree and remember I voted remain, but the remain side entered project fear which did not come about
    Brexit hasn't happened yet.
    The project was immediate
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited September 2018
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

...and also the old, the young, the sick, the poor, and anyone else who relies on public services in the UK.
    Low taxes increase income and would enhance funds for public services

And

NEW THREAD
  • Options

Not true, corporation tax does not (and is not designed to) raise a significant proportion of the government revenue. It is largely an information measure and a fall-back for inventive ways businesses might otherwise get money to shareholders.
  • Options

CT receipts in 2017 were £56bn at current rates. Tax take has increased significantly as the CT rate has fallen. That may not be cause and effect, but a reduction in rate would encourage businesses to stay/move to the UK as corporate responsibility requires directors to maximise return for investors (and lower tax should allow more investment or dividends). More business means more employment, more overall economic pie to support the old, the young, the sick and the poor.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    @Big_G

Yes, there are some lying disingenuous (and thick) politicians in the Labour party too!

It's not a matter of rolling over. It's facing the facts. As many experts had opined, Chequers is and was always going to be a dead duck. A key thing to also remember is that *we* made the foolish choice to Leave - it was incumbent on us to come up with something tangible - we didn't. We are now in this massive mess and to be honest it is largely *our* fault. We need to suck it up. Blaming dirty foreigners of course plays well with ignorant sections of the populace but it doesn't improve our parlous position.
  • Options

They think they are so clever but they misjudged the British when they think they can attack with glee our Prime Minister and I would expect this misjudgment will rebound in ways they do not expect.

The question now is do we want to have anything to do with them other than trade which if necessary will be on WTO and right now I would imagine a resounding voice of be gone would rise from the Country.

If the second referendum (dishonest people’s vote) campaign think they will have even a remote chance of getting a referendum, far less winning, they are not facing how much the EU will now be despised.

They had their chance yesterday to act professionally and negotiate accordingly and instead they acted out an ambush and put turbo boosters under the ERG and Farage. I have apologised to Aussie Archer for some of my disagreements with him as yesterday’s events seem to have shown he was on the ball with a lot of his posts

This is a very sad day for the whole of Europe and I hope the Irish PM is ready for the consequences of a hard Brexit and his land bridge to Europe closed.

I’m sure they’re quaking with fear. Chortle.
    Consistent answer from someone who is enthrall to them and bows in front of the altar of Brussels
    Better that than a pompous fool who flip flops between a host of illogical positions.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Chequers was DOA. Pretending otherwise is nothing but a scam that May was perpetrating on her own party. There's only one project she's ever cared about and it's not Brexit, it's Operation Keep May In Power. If it took some dramatics from the EU to stop her from recklessly running down the clock even further then we should be grateful.

I get the impression from your comments that you see May as a fundamentally decent person doing her best in impossibly difficult circumstances. And as beset on all sides by enemies as she is, you feel a chivalrous protectiveness towards her. That's admirable, but I think it might be warping your perspective.
  • Options

Increase income tax in that case. Bend the taxes to grab trade and investment.

If we are going down this road and hopefully it may not be ncessary, then it needs to be tit for tat and they must see we are totally commited to escalate. There are real pressure points on EU side: Ireland, fishermen, French agriculture. In the end security and defence may have to be used as bargaining instruments. Hope it doesn't come to it but if we get into a game of pressure and hard tackles then we must play ruthlessly. We also should directly appeal to EU voters pointing out that we want to be reasonable, that we want friendship and asking them to pressurise their leaders.
  • Options
    My favourite Phil Collins song is Another Day in Paradise :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt2mbGP6vFI
This discussion has been closed.