Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s energy price freeze might or might not be good e

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s energy price freeze might or might not be good economics – but it’s certainly good politics

Our first session of PMQs since the start of September and as the above Tweets from Nick Robinson and Andrew Sparrow show it was Miliband’s energy price freeze which was setting the agenda – something that happens very rarely for an opposition leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    It's certainly very Brownian politics.

If we do get blackouts this winter, what will this do to the energy debate?

(First?)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited October 2013
    Required reading for fans of Ed M's retro policies: When the Lights Went Out: Britain in the Seventies...

While he is at it they could read Thatcher: My Part in Her Rise to Power by Jack Grunwick Dromey. There must be some good quotes about the police in JD's Grunwick The Workers' Story.

Cameron needs to remind Miliband about the greenwash used to justify price rises.
    http://www.labour.org.uk/commitment_to_cut_emissions

The trouble with Cameron is that he didn't knife Brown often enough.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''if George is able to produce his own measure on energy price in the autumn statement it will look as though it is in response to Miliband''.

True but the public won;t care as long as their prices are either frozen or cut. They may thank Ed Miliband for highlighting this issue, but that doesn't mean they'll actually vote for him.

• Options
    If Osborne's response is to get rid of Miliband's green taxes on energy bills then the waters will be considerably muddier.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Taffys, if the Coalition did the sensible thing (they won't) and axed or reduced green costs on energy then Miliband would not only get no credit it'd be a perfect counterpoint.

"Miliband raised your energy bills, we have cut them". Simple, clear, undeniable, and it's never going to happen. Davey's not quite as stark raving mad as Miliband but he and both leaderships in the Coalition are greenist.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Mike's nailed the politics of this. Reposting this FPT for people interested in their actual policy, which totally unconnected from any of the messaging either side is putting out:

http://www.francisclark.co.uk/news-views/blog/labour-has-a-new-energy-policy-has-it-let-politics-disr/
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    In many ways this reminds me of George Osborne’s move on inheritance tax on the Monday of the Tory conference in October 2007.

Whatever the finer details it proved to be a game-changer in terms of the political narrative – which for all of the previous three months had been totally dominated by Gordon Brown.
    I see where you are coming from with this parallel, but there's one big difference - Brown was preparing to call an autumn election, that he might well have won, and the massive political payoff from Osborne's move on inheritance tax was that the election was called off.

There is no corresponding payoff from Miliband's energy price freeze policy. Unless there is a major power cut that can be blamed on either party, I don't see energy policy shifting many votes at the general election.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    taffys said:

''if George is able to produce his own measure on energy price in the autumn statement it will look as though it is in response to Miliband''.

True but the public won;t care as long as their prices are either frozen or cut. They may thank Ed Miliband for highlighting this issue, but that doesn't mean they'll actually vote for him.

I vividly recall at the last GE polling on stopping the "Tax on Jobs" - voters credited Labour here [I have no idea why], but Osborne had been banging on about it for 6 months. He must have been irked.

Policies are attributed mainly on what we expect parties to do - not what they often do as we work on *brand* values in the absence of actual info.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Cyclefree said:

It's certainly very Brownian politics.

If we do get blackouts this winter, what will this do to the energy debate?

(First?)

If we get blackouts this winter it will show that there is already under-investment in the system even without EdM's price freeze. This will weaken the position of the companies still further - and their position is already very weak in political terms (leaving aside the economic arguments).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    he and both leaderships in the Coalition are greenist.

Mr Morris: True I guess.

Another opening for UKIP?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2013

In many ways this reminds me of George Osborne’s move on inheritance tax on the Monday of the Tory conference in October 2007.

Whatever the finer details it proved to be a game-changer in terms of the political narrative – which for all of the previous three months had been totally dominated by Gordon Brown.
    Brown was preparing to call an autumn election, that he might well have won, and the massive political payoff from Osborne's move on inheritance tax was that the election was called off.

And tim is still livid about his success, 6 years later.

• Options
    Perhaps, Mr. Taffys. Red Ed is the high priest of Greenery, the tomato prince of Copenhagen tears.

Bah. It's this kind of cosy political consensus I loathe. How can a choice matter if the major players all agree on a matter where the public are significantly divided?
  • Options
    ''If we get blackouts this winter it will show that there is already under-investment in the system even without EdM's price freeze.''

If we get blackouts this winter it will illustrate we have a system based on dogma and not on provision.

I wonder how many voters actually realize that perfectly good power stations are being phased out simply because of the still disputed science of global warming, with only a sketchy idea of where the replacement generation capacity is going to come from.

All three parties are guilty of buying into this maoist absurdity, but there it is.
  • Options
    ''Perhaps, Mr. Taffys. Red Ed is the high priest of Greenery, the tomato prince of Copenhagen tears''.

Ed wants greenery and he also wants lower energy prices. In other words he wants the energy companies to pay.

What happens when they won't or can't?

The lights go out. I almost want him to win the next election just to watch him try to square the utterly cynical and impossible circle he has drawn himself.
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk @SkyNewsBreak
    Former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell is to stand down from Parliament at the election scheduled for May 2015
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2013
    I've been number crunching:

- The new comments system (Vanilla) was introduced on 22nd March 2013
    - That's exactly 200 days ago
    - If we assume even the most avid poster needs 8 hours a day to sleep and attend to calls of nature*, that means 200x16 = 3200 hours are available
    - This means that a poster with, say, 10,800 posts has posted once every 18 minutes though the spring, the loveliest summer in a decade, and into autumn

Mind boggling, huh?

* washing is optional
  • Options
    OT - Mr Dancer, many thanks for your reply to me some weeks ago which in my mind lives on as Cannae: The Day After. I hadn't realised the scale of the slaughter (assuming the figures are trustworthy).

On topic: there's no need to abandon greenery for the sake of shafting Miliband. Osborne could take the green levies off energy bills and replace the subsidies from elsewhere, by whatever fiscal legerdemain seems appropriate at the time.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Labour, LD and Tory energy policy makers are a bunch of useless frackers.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

...a poster with, say, 10,800 posts has posted once every 18 minutes though the spring, the loveliest summer in a decade, and into autumn

It is an impressive commitment to the cause. To what effect, though, I wonder... I can't resist the comparison between Mr post-every-18-minutes and SeanT with his soapbox at the Daily Telegraph, of which he makes very good use. Nice rant on there today, SeanT! :D
  • Options
    Our first session of PMQs since the start of September and as the above Tweets from Nick Robinson and Andrew Sparrow show it was Miliband’s energy price freeze which was setting the agenda – something that happens very rarely for an opposition leader.

Really? Given that the leader of the opposition gets to ask the questions, it would be remarkable indeed if he didn't get to choose the agenda.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

Anorak said:

- If we assume even the most avid poster needs 8 hours a day to sleep and attend to calls of nature*, that means 200x16 = 3200 hours are available
    - This means that a poster with, say, 10,800 posts has posted once every 18 minutes though the spring, the loveliest summer in a decade, and into autumn

Mind boggling, huh?

* washing is optional

There's a PB Tory simpleton who needs correcting more often than every 18 minutes, I need to up the rate.
    Todays manufacturing figures fell because of the August holidays you know.

Further analysis:

- If we assume, on average, 5 minutes a post (including digging around in twitter, the ONS, blogs, news sites, etc, etc), this means that an astounding 28% of this posters waking life is spent on this activity

I'd hope - genuinely - that this sobering statistic would give rise to some thought and reflection. It's not the sort of thing I'd look back on, on my death bed, and feel a sense of satisfaction about.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Interesting that Ming in 2010 score his worst result (in terms of vote share) since, and including, his first election in 1987...
  • Options
    Mr. Chuck, you're very welcome.

It was arguably the bloodiest day or so in Europe until World War One. (Discounting naval battles. In the Battle of Ecnomus, in the First Punic War, more than a quarter of a million men reputedly fought).

Could make a case of the Battle of Arausio having more casualties, but that's less well-known/documented.

I forget the precise terms of the Cannae casualties, but I think I calculated it was the equivalent (if we had warrior-politicians as the Romans did) of over 200 MPs and the PM or DPM ending up dead. Practically everyone was family or knew of someone who died.

Varro changing the usual Roman order of battle (he closed up the gaps between the maniples meaning that there was less flexibility and room to manoeuvre) is echoed by Antiochus III at the Battle of Magnesia (who enjoyed a similar numerical advantages and broke up the phalanx with elephants).

Ahem, apologies for the waffling.
  • Options
    tim said:

Anorak said:

Mind boggling, huh?

* washing is optional

There's a PB Tory simpleton who needs correcting more often than every 18 minutes, I need to up the rate.

And what joy that bit of economic bad news must have brought you amongst all the positive data we've been seeing. It must have fair gladdened your heart!

You never have quite recovered from the country avoiding a triple dip recession have you?
  • Options
    House of Commons @HouseofCommons
    Today's #PMQs is now available to watch on the UK Parliament YouTube Channel youtu.be/3_csoZvglyE @Number10gov
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    RodCrosby said:

Interesting that Ming in 2010 score his worst result (in terms of vote share) since, and including, his first election in 1987...

One would expect a Lib Dem hold in 2015 on a much reduced share of the vote, say around 35%, with the other three all in the 20%s.
  • Options
    @MD

Wow! Seriously, gaspworthily amazing. Thanks. Have to go and get the kids and do chores now, but I'll follow all that up later with a bit of help from google (who is my friend). Many thanks! Waffling much appreciated.
  • Options
    Mr. Chuck, you're quite welcome. I could (and do :p) bang on about classical history for hours.

Just don't listen to Mr. Eagles.

Mr. T, 'twas a fine article. How're your links/tweets looking?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, the energy price fix may be making the running and it is smart short term politics. It is, however, absolutely Brownite in its putting those short term interests ahead of both national and party longer-term interests.

Clearly, Osborne will now be damned if he does ("copying Labour" / "Miliband setting the agenda" etc), and damned if he doesn't ("not listening", "nothing to say" etc), which is one reason the Tories are having such difficulty coming up with a response. (As a rule, when there's no easy policial answer to a problem, the best thing to do is the right thing - you'll lose short-term whatever so you may as well win in the longer timeframe).

Tim is right that it started with Syria. That piece of cynical positioning, again putting short-term party interest first, showed the new, ruthless Ed. That Miliband expected and wanted to lose the vote is beside the point - winning it meant he was in part responsible for what came next, which was precisely what he didn't want to be.

I fear we're in for something of a re-run of the 1970s: the challenges may be different but the willingness of politicians to address them or of the electorate to accept that they need fixing is lacking, so consequently they'll not only not be fixed but will worsen. Miliband still believes in the magic money tree as much as Callaghan believed in tripartism, and beer and sandwiches at No 10; the electorate have come to view a standard of living well beyond that which is being earned as their right. It cannot continue.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Mike's nailed the politics of this. Reposting this FPT for people interested in their actual policy, which totally unconnected from any of the messaging either side is putting out:

http://www.francisclark.co.uk/news-views/blog/labour-has-a-new-energy-policy-has-it-let-politics-disr/

And reposting my comment to you on the same subject:

IIUC the theory is that the energy companies are making bigger profits than they need to to provide the service because the market isn't competitive enough, so you can fix the prices and they'll still have attractive enough profits to make them sell people energy. Then once you've reformed the market to be properly competitive (which optimistically takes two years) profits and prices will drop naturally so you won't need to fix them any more.

I don't think the premise is true, but if it was the logic of the rest would work.

The competitiveness of an industry is not a matter which politicians should decide as a matter of political policy.

The proper course of action is to refer the industry to a competent Competition Commission (EU or UK) and to base any reforms on its recommendations.

This is why Cameron should pre-empt Miliband by referring the household energy supply industry now, so that its recommendations would become available at the beginning of the next parliamentary term.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SouthCoastKevin

'It is an impressive commitment to the cause. To what effect, though, I wonder... I can't resist the comparison between Mr post-every-18-minutes and SeanT with his soapbox at the Daily Telegraph, of which he makes very good use. Nice rant on there today, SeanT! :D'

SeanT gets paid whilst wee Timmy is a freebie,can't think why.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Herdson. Anyone willing to play party politics with war and peace is unworthy of high office.
  • Options
    Energy has to be paid for and the cost of UK energy is quite low by European standards. The main problem is the trashing of the currency so the government can keep borrowing to spend on stuff taxpayers can't afford, like er...energy price fixing.
  • Options
    Mr. T, personally, I preferred your voodoo magic global warming piece.

Glad it's going well.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mr. Chuck, you're quite welcome. I could (and do :p) bang on about classical history for hours.

Thanks! Shares and links doing very nicely. 100 retweets in an hour. The Telegraph comments editor is emailing me compliments and asking for more. At some point I will ask for payrise - before I run out of ideas would be a good time.

Mind you, I think I probably peaked early. I see my "atheists are mad" blog, from August, now has 20,000 shares.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100231060/are-atheists-mentally-ill/
    Surely one about the evils of the EU and the BBC are next up? That will surely break the DT's servers.
  • Options
    I got one past goalpost-moving badgers in 'Owen Paterson's Badger Penalty Shootout'! How about you? toys.usvsth3m.com/owen-patersons…

http://toys.usvsth3m.com/owen-patersons-badger-penalty-shootout/

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

AveryLP said,

" The competitiveness of an industry is not a matter which politicians should decide as a matter of political policy.

The proper course of action is to refer the industry to a competent Competition Commission (EU or UK) and to base any reforms on its recommendations.

This is why Cameron should pre-empt Miliband by referrring the household energy supply industry now, so that its recommendations would become available at the beginning of the next parliamentary term."

EIT's assumption is fine for a UK energy industry that is self-sufficient and is insulated from energy market forces, but as we know the UK energy industry relies heavily on imports for energy sources and so is not insulated from world market movements.
  • Options
    Plato said:

SeanT said:

Thanks! Shares and links doing very nicely. 100 retweets in an hour. The Telegraph comments editor is emailing me compliments and asking for more. At some point I will ask for payrise - before I run out of ideas would be a good time.

Mind you, I think I probably peaked early. I see my "atheists are mad" blog, from August, now has 20,000 shares.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100231060/are-atheists-mentally-ill/
    Surely one about the evils of the EU and the BBC are next up? That will surely break the DT's servers.
    "Why the EU encourages immigration to the UK, and how the BBC are helping them"

*BOOOOOM*
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I'm stunned - the BBC and the Guardian pushing the pro-Labour line heavily today. Who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Anorak said:

Plato said:

SeanT said:

"Why the EU encourages immigration to the UK, and how the BBC are helping them"

*BOOOOOM*
    Sean, pray for Winter blackouts that you can blame on over population.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SeanT said:

I am waiting impatiently for the call from Dacre, to go and do it at the Mail for £200k a year.

He hasn't phoned yet.

I think you need to write a nauseatingly sycophantic letter to Dacre first. Then he might deign to make you the next Richard Littlejohn.
  • Options
    SeanT, if you're feeling ambitious how about you write a post for the Telegraph on an issue you feel strongly about which is way outside their normal scope? Say, a sturdy defence of the BBC or a paean of praise to Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change? Those are stupid examples, can't think of any better; but I'm sure you could show more imagination than me...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    tim said:

@DavidHerdson

Are you surprised at how easily Dave is outwitted, surely the boundary change loss gave you an idea of how slow on his feet he is?

Decent people are often caught unawares when others act beyond the bounds of normally accepted behaviour.
  • Options
    Financier said:

EIT's assumption is fine for a UK energy industry that is self-sufficient and is insulated from energy market forces, but as we know the UK energy industry relies heavily on imports for energy sources and so is not insulated from world market movements.

Miliband was asked what he would do if the price freeze became unsustainable, would he remove it or subisidise energy costs? His response, and I'm not making this up, was in essence "I don't think that will happen."

Maybe he's right, but I think a potential PM ought to make plans for the worst case anyway.

We're not long shot of one useless PM who thought he could abolish the economic cycle, we don't need another one who thinks his wishes become reality.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    tim said:

Ed's going on Watchdog tonight to talk about energy prices

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 2h
    Smart move by Miliband to appear on Watchdog. Good example of the kind of intervention many have long urged him to make.

Hopefully Dave will go on and explain his "everyone on the lowest tariff" policy, thats a real winner.

Is Ed going to explain how his green taxes have pushed up energy prices?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Miliband's wheeze is short term gain for long term pain.

He is weak on credibility - once this is wheeze is shredded what is he left with ?

• Options

He's going to explain his role in pushing them to the current high levels?
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    felix said:

I'm stunned - the BBC and the Guardian pushing the pro-Labour line heavily today. Who'd have thought it?

It's a left-liberal metropolitan olive-eating socialist media conspiracy, etc etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    philiph mentioned early on the previous thread that seasonal factors may have affected the ONS figures on Production Output released today.

He was subsequently pilloried in a whole series of comments by tim who pointed out that the ONS figures were already seasonally adjusted.

But, tim, not all seasonal influences are included in routine seasonal adjustments. For example, output figures are not adjusted for above or below trend seasonal changes in temperature and their effect on demand for, say, household energy.

So philiph, in particular, and PB Tories, in general, will be heartened to learn that the ONS specifically endorsed philip's interpretation of the figures in the body of the commentary:

The warmer than average temperature in August and reduced demand for space-heating resulted in electricity and gas demand falling and hence contributed to the decline.

tim should note it is not customary for householders to leave their heating systems on when taking a mid summer holiday. This too will impact energy supplies but not be covered by seasonal adjustments made by the ONS.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ''There's cross party agreement on those, this is politics,I'm sure he'll be emphasisng the differences with the Tories, not common ground''

Oh I see, he's going to explain why under labour the lights will be going out because the energy companies can't or won't produce energy at a loss, and won't be investing in projects where prices are capped.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Anne Robinson made John Noakes cry. I hope Ed's taking his hanky.

• Options

...the electorate have come to view a standard of living well beyond that which is being earned as their right. It cannot continue.

UK GDP per capita = ~£24,000
    UK median earnings = £21,300

Bearing in mind that the latter is for taxpayers only, thus not considering those parts of the population who are not earning enough to pay income tax (because they are children, etc), then there is considerable scope for the standard of living of many British nationals to improve, even if the country as a whole does not become wealthier.

It rather suggests that most of the electorate are enjoying a standard of living below that which they have earned through their labour.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    @SeanT

Just read the Telegraph piece. Lol!

You've become a terrible fence-sitter :D
  • Options
    taffys said:

Would Blue Peter not have him ?

He's turning into a total joke - not a serious politician - an agitator for a series of niche issues.

Can you imagine Tony Blair going on Watchdog to advocate nationalised electricity prices ?

A small time charlie.
  • Options
    Next week - Ed goes on Saturday kitchen to whine about the price of organic kale..

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    taffys said:

''There's cross party agreement on those, this is politics,I'm sure he'll be emphasisng the differences with the Tories, not common ground''

Oh I see, he's going to explain why under labour the lights will be going out because the energy companies can't or won't produce energy at a loss, and won't be investing in projects where prices are capped.

By going around threatening everyone with power cuts the energy companies and their apologists on here are playing into Ed's hands - they come over as aggressive bullies who don't care about the struggling consumers. If only they had adopted a more emollient stance - "we know consumers are paying more and we will do all we can but world markets blah blah blah...always willing to talk to government blah blah...."

They may be good at generating power but they need to work on their communication strategy.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Bobajob said:

felix said:

It's a left-liberal metropolitan olive-eating socialist media conspiracy, etc etc.
    Out to get the 'typical middle earners" on £50K who should be subsidised by those on £11k......
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    The ability of the Labour apologist brigade on here to delude themselves is always quite incredible.

Miliband's record on hiking up energy prices is what will destroy this gimmick of a policy.

He cannot implement it immediately on taking office (perish the thought) as it will take a huge amount of parliamentary time to push through and then it will immediately be subject to a number of legal challenges.

He is the one who is on record as being willing to see the economy shrink as a direct result of his climate change levies.

This might be a short-term political win for him (though the polls do not appear to have shifted in his favour) but it will unravel. Indeed it has unravelled - but only parts of the media are prepared to report it.

Going on Watchdog will do nothing to increase his credibility. It will only show people again how unsuited to the role of leading the country. The more people see of Ed, the less they get him.
  • Options
    Surprised Ed's going on Watchdog. Does he have a good record of handling interrogations?
  • Options
    tim said:

@DavidHerdson

Are you surprised at how easily Dave is outwitted, surely the boundary change loss gave you an idea of how slow on his feet he is?

Having unfair boundaries is a failure for the whole of parliament not just Cameron. Unless you aren't a fan of democracy these days.
  • Options
    @oxfordsimon

Precisely.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

taffys said:

By going around threatening everyone with power cuts the energy companies and their apologists on here are playing into Ed's hands - they come over as aggressive bullies who don't care about the struggling consumers. If only they had adopted a more emollient stance - "we know consumers are paying more and we will do all we can but world markets blah blah blah...always willing to talk to government blah blah...."

They may be good at generating power but they need to work on their communication strategy.

I wonder if there's a longer term plan to renationalise power generation and sales in the UK?

The lights go out as power companies mothball loss making plant, and Ed rushes in to take it over on the consumers behalf.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    glw said:

Financier said:

Miliband was asked what he would do if the price freeze became unsustainable, would he remove it or subisidise energy costs? His response, and I'm not making this up, was in essence "I don't think that will happen."

Maybe he's right, but I think a potential PM ought to make plans for the worst case anyway.

We're not long shot of one useless PM who thought he could abolish the economic cycle, we don't need another one who thinks his wishes become reality.
    Interestingly, the people in favour of the move on here, who accused the energy companies of profiteering and price-gouging, have yet to produce any evidence of their claims.

Can Ed?

The Tories need to ram two things down the public's throats:
    1) Ed was partly responsible for the price rises we are seeing whilst at DECC, and also for the generation capacity crisis. He didn't care about price rises then.
    2) We have amongst the lowest gas and electricity prices in Europe. We're also in line with other European countries in the amount of disposable income spent on energy. Hardly signs of a sick market.

A good, balanced interview on this topic can be found below. There are problems with the energy companies, but our bills are comparatively cheaper:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24302440

EiT: I've skimmed that link. I don't agree with some of what it says, but I need to do some background research to check my facts. But they're way off-mark when commenting that it doesn't matter if investment reduces now, as any new construction won't occur before the crunch. That's rapidly becoming the case (although not fully true), but ignores the obvious: if there's a crunch, then the capacity would nearly be ready. We need the energy companies to be investing now.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Conservatives should be attacking Labour's energy policy on believability and effectiveness, not on ideology. The line of attack should be "it's not so much that you're Red Ed, it's that you're Wrong Ed." There's plenty of polling to suggest that the public like the idea but doubt that it is workable. The Conservatives should go with the grain of public opinion on this.

In the absence of such an attack, Labour are well-placed.
  • Options

EiT: I've skimmed that link. I don't agree with some of what it says, but I need to do some background research to check my facts. But they're way off-mark when commenting that it doesn't matter if investment reduces now, as any new construction won't occur before the crunch. That's rapidly becoming the case (although not fully true), but ignores the obvious: if there's a crunch, then the capacity would nearly be ready. We need the energy companies to be investing now.

I read the link, and it made the point that all the energy companies had already decided for various reasons not to invest in new capacity now, before Miliband made his speech.

We might bemoan this, but it is an existing reality, after more than three years of the Coalition government.
  • Options
    ''Ed was partly responsible for the price rises we are seeing whilst at DECC, and also for the generation capacity crisis. He didn't care about price rises then.''

Neither did the tories. They voted for these measures too, as tim has pointed out. The green fungus is all over the hands of all mainstream politicians.

Everybody put political dogma before expediency and now we are seeing the results.
  • Options
    The Scottish government did spend money on Lawyers for advice over the EU - to stop it coming out that they hadn't spent any money on Lawyers for advice over the EU......

"THE SNP Government spent almost £20,000 in a court battle to hide legal advice on Scotland’s EU membership after independence - advice which turned out to be non-existent."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-snp-s-20k-eu-court-battle-1-3133692
  • Options

Interestingly, the people in favour of the move on here, who accused the energy companies of profiteering and price-gouging, have yet to produce any evidence of their claims.

Can Ed?

I don't think he's much bothered by those points. Ed knows that energy prices annoy the
    public, and that's enough for him.

Of course people are also annoyed about house prices (apart from their own when
    it's rising), petrol, taxes, insurance, food, travel, etc. Which will Ed freeze next?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,094
    edited October 2013
    TGOHF said:

Would Blue Peter not have him ?

He's turning into a total joke - not a serious politician - an agitator for a series of niche issues.

Can you imagine Tony Blair going on Watchdog to advocate nationalised electricity prices ?

A small time charlie.

How many times did Thatch appear on Blue Peter, or Swap Shop, or with 'Sir' Jimmy the fixer?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good afternoon colleagues and PB lefties, I gather another of my tips that Sir Ming would hang up his running shoes has been confirmed. Should be an interesting opportunity for the Tory candidate at #GE2015 who according to Baxter is presently predicted to win the seat.

Wonder how many more of the sitting Scottish MPs I have indicated to some PBers are likely to retire will do so.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Anorak said:

tim said:

Anorak said:

Mind boggling, huh?

* washing is optional

Further analysis:

- If we assume, on average, 5 minutes a post (including digging around in twitter, the ONS, blogs, news sites, etc, etc), this means that an astounding 28% of this posters waking life is spent on this activity

I'd hope - genuinely - that this sobering statistic would give rise to some thought and reflection. It's not the sort of thing I'd look back on, on my death bed, and feel a sense of satisfaction about.
    I'm even more of the opinion thast there's no one person; it's Team Tim! Several people, in shifts, to comment plus a team of researchers!

• Options
    Ming is the 6th LD to announce they're standing down so far...

Good afternoon colleagues and PB lefties, I gather another of my tips that Sir Ming would hang up his running shoes has been confirmed. Should be an interesting opportunity for the Tory candidate at #GE2015 who according to Baxter is presently predicted to win the seat.

Wonder how many more of the sitting Scottish MPs I have indicated to some PBers are likely to retire will do so.

• Options
    glw said:

Can Ed?

I don't think he's much bothered by those points. Ed knows that energy prices annoy the
    public, and that's enough for him.

Of course people are also annoyed about house prices (apart from their own when
    it's rising), petrol, taxes, insurance, food, travel, etc. Which will Ed freeze next?
    Rent controls?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Should be an interesting opportunity for the Tory candidate at #GE2015

Really? I mean, really?!
  • Options
    tim said:

Looks like Owen Paterson has turned himself into a national laughing stock with his Badgers moved the goalposts comment, it'll be everywhere.

Will it be the biggest thing since Osborne's tears?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tim said:

Looks like Owen Paterson has turned himself into a national laughing stock with his Badgers moved the goalposts comment, it'll be everywhere.

Are badgers the secret force behind British politics? They did for Ron Davies as well.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    tim said:

Cue PB Tory confusion

@AndrewSparrow: Greg Barker, Tory energy minister, criticises BBC for giving too much prominence to climate change sceptics - http://t.co/EIwqGsooNF

I'd just assumed the BBC was engaged in a classic left-wing double bluff conspiracy: seeking to discredit sceptics by giving their views airtime.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

tim said:

Are badgers the secret force behind British politics? They did for Ron Davies as well.
    And Scottish Independence.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

The challengers to the LD's in 2015 will be SNP not the Conservatives .
    2012 council results for the wards making up the parliamentary seat were roughly
    LD 8,300 SNP 6,200 Con 4,200 Lab 3,500 plus an Independent in Cupar who took 1,556 votes . His 2nd preferences split roughly 2:1:1:1 in favour of the LD's
  • Options
    tim said:

Do you actually ever speak to people? I work in a large, busy, office. I can count the people talking about this on, quite literally, no hands.
  • Options
    The 'Living Standards Election' and 'The Cost of Labour':

http://www.costoflabour.com
  • Options
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/10/09/nobel-peace-prize-less-prestigious/

The more recent controversial awards may well have contributed to the public’s view of the prize. Obama (2009), Al Gore (2007) and the EU (2012) were judged amongst the least deserving, polling 4%, 4% and 3% respectively.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    AveryLP said:

antifrank said:

tim said:

And Scottish Independence.

And you'll never believe the stuff Norman Baker's already found in the files at the Home Office about the role of badges in [redacted]
  • Options
    Tim Gatt @TimGattITV
    MP Chloe Smith: "I couldn’t help but laugh when Newsnight rang offering me a ‘sensible’ interview with Jeremy Paxman about my next move"
  • Options

The challengers to the LD's in 2015 will be SNP not the Conservatives .
    2012 council results for the wards making up the parliamentary seat were roughly
    LD 8,300 SNP 6,200 Con 4,200 Lab 3,500 plus an Independent in Cupar who took 1,556 votes . His 2nd preferences split roughly 2:1:1:1 in favour of the LD's

I tend to agree. If NE Fife is to be lost it will be to the SNP, although it would take a catastrophic loss of LD support for this to happen. Ming started nursing this seat almost 40 years ago, but prior to that the SNP came quite close to winning (from the Tories) in Oct 1974...
  • Options

tim said:

Do you actually ever speak to people? I work in a large, busy, office. I can count the people talking about this on, quite literally, no hands.
    Ed's booked himself a slot on Countryfile.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    "Has Hunt [Edit - for clarity: Hon ­Tristram Julian William Hunt] forgotten where he went to school? Neither his Wikipedia entry nor his MP’s website enlighten us. All this says is he got a first and is “desperately proud” to represent the good people of Stoke. Remind us of your alma mater, Tristram. If you don’t, Michael Gove — adopted son of a fishmonger — most certainly will."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/clever-chaps-in-the-house-8868934.html
  • Options
    Европейский комиссар @MoodySlayerUK
    RT @BBCWatchdog: Also joining Anne tonight - Leader of the Labour Party @Ed_Miliband to discuss his energy price freeze <<No bias here obvs.

So that's a PPB on Watchdog.
  • Options
    tim said:

Here it is

"The badgers moved the goalposts"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24459424

The whole quote is less controversial. And not even remotely funny.

"The badgers moved the goalposts. We're dealing with a wild animal, subject to the vagaries of the weather and disease and breeding patterns," he said.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

You will.

Bobajob said:

felix said:

Out to get the 'typical middle earners" on £50K who should be subsidised by those on £11k......
    Which, of course, we aren't - in fact my family is a massive net contributor. As you would know, did you know the first thing about how the tax system 'works'

Great policy, by the way, hammering middle income Londoners with 70% marginal rates then threatening them with fines for failing to understand Ozzy's crackpot shambles of a policy. I see it has the PB Tory seal of approval.
  • Options
    tim said:

Here it is

Oh sorry you're right my colleagues just won't shut up about it. No really.

Between that and chuntering on about Latvian homophobes it's a wonder any work gets done!

As ever your obsessions truly are the nation's obsessions!
  • Options
    Plato said:

So that's a PPB on Watchdog.

I'm pretty sure I heard Ed Balls on the Today show one day too. Shocking bias.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

You will.

My impression is that policy has cut through - purely on an anecdotal basis of what I hear.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Plato said:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/10/09/nobel-peace-prize-less-prestigious/

The more recent controversial awards may well have contributed to the public’s view of the prize. Obama (2009), Al Gore (2007) and the EU (2012) were judged amongst the least deserving, polling 4%, 4% and 3% respectively.

On a methodological comment that seems a little skewed because it's putting the recent candidates up against a greatest hits line-up of famous names from a number of previous decades.

Glancing down the list the biggest party disagreement seems to be on Gorbachev. Picked by 17% of Conservatives vs 7% of Lib Dems (11% Labour).
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Here it is

Oh sorry you're right my colleagues just won't shut up about it. No really.

Between that and chuntering on about Latvian homophobes it's a wonder any work gets done!

As ever your obsessions truly are the nation's obsessions!
    You're a PB Tory, you are therefore wrong.
    I have indeed been wrong in the past about things and I've no doubt I will be wrong in the future, most normal people are. I'm just not so utterly delusional and mind-blowingly arrogant as to believe I'm right about everything.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Bobajob said:

tim said:

tim said:

You will.

Bobajob said:

felix said:

Great policy, by the way, hammering middle income Londoners with 70% marginal rates then threatening them with fines for failing to understand Ozzy's crackpot shambles of a policy. I see it has the PB Tory seal of approval.
    Stop whining.

If you can afford to dine out in swanky restaurants like Boisdale, you're much better off than 95%+ of the population.

You could move to 'Bumpkinland' or whatever you called the world outside the capital, millions of people do and survive commuting. It's your lifestyle choice to live in London.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Bobajob said:

tim said:

tim said:

You will.

My impression is that policy has cut through - purely on an anecdotal basis of what I hear.

Shame on you. Only PB Tories may use anecdotal evidence.
This discussion has been closed.