Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six Impossible Things Before Brexit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Six Impossible Things Before Brexit

With six months to go, the ultimate denouement of Brexit looks as murky as ever.  That hasn’t stopped plenty of people trying to peer through the vapours.  If you are going to speculate, go right ahead, but it’s probably best not base your speculations on things that are downright wrong.  So let’s take a stroll past some of the more common misconceptions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Essential reading for all those who say 'We can't go on like this..

"We can, and most likely will" argues Meeks.
  • Options
    so are the six points in bold the misconceptions or does he mean that if you disagree with these points that is a misconception? so in fact he means these are six truths rather six misconceptions. my head hurts.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Why would the EU wish to keep on a country that is going through a collective and extended nervous breakdown where it is the subject of controversy?

The same reason why they only virtue signal about the racist Hungary. We're part of the empire, and they don't want to lose us. I still think they are aiming to force us into a second vote.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Good piece Alastair, the one thing that’s certain over the next six months is that there will be a lot of uncertainty!

The mechanism by which an election happens without government support is much more convoluted than most other commentators think it is, it’s only happening if either :

1. The DUP vote actively for a VoNC in the government (abstaining isn’t enough), and a quick change of Conservative leader (almost certainly a Brexit supporter) can’t bring them back on side.

Or

2. Sufficient numbers of Conservatives (7?) cross the floor to join another party and vote down the government, almost certainly costing their own seats in the process if an election follows. While there might be a dozen Conservative MPs unhappy with the direction on Brexit, there’s not a lot more than a couple (Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen...) who might be considedered at serious risk of changing party affiliation over it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Brexit is currently an exquisitely balanced mobile of potential chaos. The moment any point changes is the point at which it all seems to become actual chaos, stops spinning around gently and come crashing down from the ceiling.

A writer would be very pleased with themselves if they had thought for months and come up with this scenario. Utterly implausible as the plot would seem. I mean, who doesn't need to call a general election, but does - and then LOSES it?

That said, if you read All Out War, there were about 28 points at which the Brexit vote itself could have come crashing down, so these mobiles do seem to have a certain inbuilt indestructability.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Good piece Alastair, the one thing that’s certain over the next six months is that there will be a lot of uncertainty!

The mechanism by which an election happens without government support is much more convoluted than most other commentators think it is, it’s only happening if either :

1. The DUP vote actively for a VoNC in the government (abstaining isn’t enough), and a quick change of Conservative leader (almost certainly a Brexit supporter) can’t bring them back on side.

Or

2. Sufficient numbers of Conservatives (7?) cross the floor to join another party and vote down the government, almost certainly costing their own seats in the process if an election follows. While there might be a dozen Conservative MPs unhappy with the direction on Brexit, there’s not a lot more than a couple (Sarah Wollaston, Heidi Allen...) who might be considedered at serious risk of changing party affiliation over it.

Does David Davis pursuing Canada plus bring the DUP back on side though?

Taking the negotiations away from Davis and handing them to Olly Robbins, with Raab as some powerless mouthpiece fronting Chequers, is looking like it may yet do for May.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Is there any chance of a new election in N. Ireland giving a shock to the DUP? If, for example a less intransigent (Brexit-wise) party took a couple of seats from them.

Obviously it would have to be a Unionist of some sort.

I realise, of course that it wouldn’t affect the Westminster Members.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

It's really come to something when the last, best hope of the Brexiteers is gargling DD's nuts.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Amid the uncertainty, ongoing division is one of the few things of which we can be sure.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Is there any chance of a new election in N. Ireland giving a shock to the DUP? If, for example a less intransigent (Brexit-wise) party took a couple of seats from them.

Northern Ireland is very tribal. The DUP can count on its voters as long as its MPs keep on spouting their usual divisive, evangelical nonsense.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It's really come to something when the last, best hope of the Brexiteers is gargling DD's nuts.
    Last hope? All we have to do is keep dithering and Brexit happens. The Leavers are on a winning streak from their point of view.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Northern Ireland is very tribal. The DUP can count on its voters as long as its MPs keep on spouting their usual divisive, evangelical nonsense.
    Norn is indeed tribal, BUT while the DUP has replaced the Ulster Unionists, because it was more ‘committed’, there’s some evidence that some younger voters are less devoted to the old cause.

Edited for clarity.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited September 2018
    The UK is now in the last chance saloon and there is no time left to negotiate a bespoke future arrangement with the EU. In order to avoid a disastrous "no deal" Brexit, the only choice is to accept one of the following 2 options:
    a) a Norway-style association agreement, remaining in the Single Market but not the Customs Union; or:
    b) a much looser relationship based on Canada's trade deal with the EU.
    However, in both these cases, the 6 counties would need to stay in the Customs Union.

The Chequers plan is clearly dead (if it was ever alive) because it fragments the Single Market, and the sooner the Maybot acknowledges this the better. Tusk provided an apt illustration by his excellent Instagram joke about cherry picking. Mrs T would have decisively chosen the Norway option - after all, she was the main promoter of the Single Market, but did not believe in Delors-style "ever closer union".

If this incompetent government doesn't face facts soon, bring on a GE - Corbyn would make a better PM, at least from a foreign policy perspective. Not only would Labour deal better with the EU, but there would be a re-orientation of the UK's relationships with criminal racist regimes elsewhere that foment violence, such as Myanmar and Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Dura_Ace said:

Last hope? All we have to do is keep dithering and Brexit happens. The Leavers are on a winning streak from their point of view.
    But if we're not better off, with no (inward) FoM and all of the advantages hereto accrued by dint of EU membership then there will be a reckoning.
  • Options

While Sinn Fein stands on its record of child protection.....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

But if we're not better off, with no (inward) FoM and all of the advantages hereto accrued by dint of EU membership then there will be a reckoning.
    I firmly believe that Brexit will be a mess but we will still be out whether there is a reckoning or not.

The Leavers may wind up with supreme executive power over a shambles but many have stated that they would be happy with such an outcome.
  • Options

Norn is indeed tribal, BUT while the DUP has replaced the Ulster Unionists, because it was more ‘committed’, there’s some evidence that some younger voters are less devoted to the old cause.

Edited for clarity.
    Norn Iron's young are my great hope for its future. I would love to see the tribalist dinosaurs lose control.
  • Options
    daodao said:

However, in both these cases, the 6 counties would need to stay in the Customs Union.

Why? Show me where it says that in the Belfast Agreement.

What the Belfast agreement requires is that there is no change in the status of NI between NI and RoI and NI and GB - the EU has only picked on one of these as being sacrosanct - without the consent of the people of NI.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Or

Taking the negotiations away from Davis and handing them to Olly Robbins, with Raab as some powerless mouthpiece fronting Chequers, is looking like it may yet do for May.
    My assumption would be that any new Conservative leader would be chosen primarily on the basis that they’d negotiate for a ‘Canada’ type deal for the whole of the U.K. - in which case they should get the DUP back on side for a vote of confidence.

I agree that having people like Robbins around isn’t helping, but that’s a failure of No.10 rather than of a civil servant. Davis had a workable set of proposals ready to go from his department, but was overruled by the PM and had little choice but to resign.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    1,000 words of how Britain is being ‘humiliated’ in increasingly pejorative language, yet zero words on what we might have done better or might want to change in our future approaches to the EU. A waste of five minutes of my life reading it.
  • Options
    daodao said:

If this incompetent government doesn't face facts soon, bring on a GE - Corbyn would make a better PM, at least from a foreign policy perspective.

"at least from a foreign policy perspective". lol. It would just be that country we actually live in that would be knackered......
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    This is called "taking back control", folks.

We need someone to say, we're going for SM+CU+VAT area and that's that. Anything else is massively uncertain and chaotic. Not that Norway++ doesn't also have big issues. We are where we are.

Nothing I disagree with in your piece, Alastair.
  • Options

Edited for clarity.
    Norn Iron's young are my great hope for its future. I would love to see the tribalist dinosaurs lose control.
    Hopefully so, as memories of the Toubles fade a diffferent, more mainstream approach to politics can be taken in NI. It would be good to see the Conservative and Labour parties start to take more of an interest in the place.
  • Options
    Originally wrote this for Twitter, but decided to post here instead:

There are supporters and opponents of leaving the EU in both major parties, but it's interesting to observe how circumstances may be conspiring to force them, effectively, to become Remain and Leave parties. That could have an interesting, complicating impact, in another vote.

Just as some on the left used the first vote to 'kick Cameron'* by voting Leave, others now could vote Remain (if the second referendum occurs) to kick May.

*NB voting for tactical political reasons in a strategic vote of national importance is daft.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

daodao said:

What the Belfast agreement requires is that there is no change in the status of NI between NI and RoI and NI and GB - the EU has only picked on one of these as being sacrosanct - without the consent of the people of NI.
    Davis is about the only person who has come out of Chequers with his reputation enhanced. If May had let him get on with it, we might well have the makings of a deal around Canada now. But I guess that prospect stuck in her Remainer craw.....
  • Options
    *sigh! *

Another futile day in the Brexit trenches. ...

I feel the need for retail therapy. Bye!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Excellent article, thanks Alastair.
  • Options

*sigh! *

Another futile day in the Brexit trenches. ...

I feel the need for retail therapy. Bye!

Shouldn't that be "buy!"?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

1,000 words of how Britain is being ‘humiliated’ in increasingly pejorative language, yet zero words on what we might have done better or might want to change in our future approaches to the EU. A waste of five minutes of my life reading it.
    Apologies - my point was about the informed and sensible Charles Grant's comment on May's desired outcome being possibly unachievable but not ignoble - not the stream of conscienceless rant which I suspect will be deleted on March 30th 2019.
  • Options
    Watson to lead new party? I think not....

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1043754882988171264?s=19
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Apologies - my point was about the informed and sensible Charles Grant's comment on May's desired outcome being possibly unachievable but not ignoble - not the stream of conscienceless rant which I suspect will be deleted on March 30th 2019.
    There'll be a vast industry in deleting posts on March 30th 2019! Maybe even whole threads.....
  • Options
    Incidentally, those wanting a distraction from the EU stuff may be interested to know that it's believed the next Elder Scrolls game will be set in Hammerfell (due to a copyright claim made for the name RedFall).

Reckon it's still a few years away, for the next generation of consoles. Intrigued to see what random number Xbox use for theirs. I think Infinity has a shot.
  • Options
    daodao said:

Corbyn would make a better PM, at least from a foreign policy perspective.

https://twitter.com/20committee/status/1042754733038071808
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

You obviously didn’t read it (or didn’t understand it). Britain needed to make a realistic choice after the referendum - and still needs to make one now.

Brexit, which is inherently a conspiracy theory (see the Applebaum article in the Atlantic posted above by Carlotta), has reality-avoidance baked in, unfortunately.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

:tongue:
    I wasn’t having a go at you, rather the idiots like “Professor” Barrat who think that pieces like this either offer any insight whatsoever or add anything worthwhile to the discussion.

Charles Grant’s suggestion is of course sensible, the govt should keep pushing as hard as possible the UK’s interests during the negotiations, even if not everything we want is eventually achieveable.

I suspect that a lot of stuff will be deleted on 30th March next year.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    edited September 2018
    daodao said:

The UK is now in the last chance saloon and there is no time left to negotiate a bespoke future arrangement with the EU. In order to avoid a disastrous "no deal" Brexit, the only choice is to accept one of the following 2 options:
    a) a Norway-style association agreement, remaining in the Single Market but not the Customs Union; or:

The Chequers plan is clearly dead (if it was ever alive) because it fragments the Single Market, and the sooner the Maybot acknowledges this the better. Tusk provided an apt illustration by his excellent Instagram joke about cherry picking. Mrs T would have decisively chosen the Norway option - after all, she was the main promoter of the Single Market, but did not believe in Delors-style "ever closer union".

If this incompetent government doesn't face facts soon, bring on a GE - Corbyn would make a better PM, at least from a foreign policy perspective. Not only would Labour deal better with the EU, but there would be a re-orientation of the UK's relationships with criminal racist regimes elsewhere that foment violence, such as Myanmar and Saudi Arabia.

If people want EEA then they are going to have to get a new PM. May could not have been more explicit that it did not deliver on the result of the referendum. I am sure she would resign rather than do this simply because she would have absolutely no credibility left. Even if the fantasies about a cross party group came true, you can't make the PM negotiate whatever Parliament says. I can't see a realistic path to a PM and Government that will pursue EEA. If May resigns any replacement will be a Leaver.

People keep saying that if we go for CETA then NI will have to remain in the CU. This simply is not going to happen (apart from the DUP the whole nation would never wear it). If we go for CETA and the EU will not back down on the backstop, there will be no deal. Which is why No Deal is still the likely outcome.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I've been musing on a historical government comparison to the present shambolic political situation that prevails and I'm bereft.

The UK is treated to a government in name only stumbling from one self inflicted crisis to another and without the faintest clue as to the direction of travel or how to get the train back on the tracks. A Prime Minister who is driving her party into the buffers with many of her MP's happy to see the impending train wreck because the carriages were partly made in EU.

Meanwhile over 60 million passengers crowd onto "The Flying Brexit" heading out of Europe Station with a mixture of excitement, confusion, denial, anger, hope and bewilderment. Looking for a lead they note our former Foreign Secretary squeezing himself into the carriage toilet plotting to replace the driver whilst hoping he hasn't flushed his hopes down the lav when the train was stationary a few stops back.

Suddenly the Prime Minister decides to travel up and down the Irish border because she wont be railroaded about how the Ulster goods van operates. All steamed up Mrs May takes a branch line to Salzburg and takes on water, more dead weight baggage and heads out after Station Master Tusk declines her kind invitation to uncouple the third class compartment and leave it at Calais.

Someone pull the communication cord - All is not lost - Waiting to board the train is Her Majesty ... Loyal Opposition for the use of .... but wait their connection seems to have been derailed between Hamas Central and Auschwitz with the signal box flashing red .... very red.

Anyone for the tube ?!? .... No, I thought not .... I'm off to thumb a ride on the royal train. Thank you Ma'am, Balmoral would do very nicely for the coming year ....

• Options

daodao said:

The Downing Street Declaration that paved the way for the Good Friday Agreement includes a binding commitment to "any measure of agreement on future relationships in Ireland which the people living in Ireland may themselves freely so determine without external impediment."

Anything that implies a hard border cannot be done without a specific mandate from people on the island of Ireland.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2018
    I see that Republicans are now leaking that Kavanaugh did really badly on personal history questions during confirmstion hearing practice.

Starting to look like they want him to withdraw before Thursday.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited September 2018
    tlg86 said:

Why would the EU wish to keep on a country that is going through a collective and extended nervous breakdown where it is the subject of controversy?

The same reason why they only virtue signal about the racist Hungary. We're part of the empire, and they don't want to lose us. I still think they are aiming to force us into a second vote.

It is British people calling for the #peoplesvote, not the EU. If we decide to have one, it will be our own sovereign democratic decision.

Personally, I think that the most likely outcome of @Alistairmeeks obstacle course is Blind Brexit, with nominal Brexit in March, but into a stay the same Transitional Agreement, ending in Dec 2020. These simply is no time left for anything else apart from A50 withdrawal, and that is not going to happen.

I agree with AM that we will then start on the main discussion, which may well at that point shift the #peoplesvote campaign to Norway plus Customs Union. That would suit me, as I do find that EU rules and policies are by and large better written and constructed than ones coming from Westminster. There are worse things than being a vassal state, and we would have a sort of Devo-Max in some ares.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    edited September 2018
    JackW said:

I've been musing on a historical government comparison to the present shambolic political situation that prevails and I'm bereft.

The UK is treated to a government in name only stumbling from one self inflicted crisis to another and without the faintest clue as to the direction of travel or how to get the train back on the tracks. A Prime Minister who is driving her party into the buffers with many of her MP's happy to see the impending train wreck because the carriages were partly made in EU.

Meanwhile over 60 million passengers crowd onto "The Flying Brexit" heading out of Europe Station with a mixture of excitement, confusion, denial, anger, hope and bewilderment. Looking for a lead they note our former Foreign Secretary squeezing himself into the carriage toilet plotting to replace the driver whilst hoping he hasn't flushed his hopes down the lav when the train was stationary a few stops back.

Suddenly the Prime Minister decides to travel up and down the Irish border because she wont be railroaded about how the Ulster goods van operates. All steamed up Mrs May takes a branch line to Salzburg and takes on water, more dead weight baggage and heads out after Station Master Tusk declines her kind invitation to uncouple the third class compartment and leave it at Calais.

Someone pull the communication cord - All is not lost - Waiting to board the train is Her Majesty ... Loyal Opposition for the use of .... but wait their connection seems to have been derailed between Hamas Central and Auschwitz with the signal box flashing red .... very red.

Anyone for the tube ?!? .... No, I thought not .... I'm off to thumb a ride on the royal train. Thank you Ma'am, Balmoral would do very nicely for the coming year ....

Perhaps 1912-14?

In many ways though that was worse as there were influential elements in both main parties actively seeking to provoke a civil war.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Greetings @JackW! Lovely to hear your musings.

Is your ARSE giving any emanations to the public? Or are you too busy stocking up on fine pies, ready to pull up your drawbridge against roaming packs of post Brexit peasant brigands?
  • Options

Incidentally, those wanting a distraction from the EU stuff may be interested to know that it's believed the next Elder Scrolls game will be set in Hammerfell (due to a copyright claim made for the name RedFall).

Reckon it's still a few years away, for the next generation of consoles. Intrigued to see what random number Xbox use for theirs. I think Infinity has a shot.

X-box i has a certain ring to it as well...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2018

daodao said:

If people want EEA then they are going to have to get a new PM. May could not have been more explicit that it did not deliver on the result of the referendum. I am sure she would resign rather than do this simply because she would have absolutely no credibility left. Even if the fantasies about a cross party group came true, you can't make the PM negotiate whatever Parliament says. I can't see a realistic path to a PM and Government that will pursue EEA. If May resigns any replacement will be a Leaver.

People keep saying that if we go for CETA then NI will have to remain in the CU. This simply is not going to happen (apart from the DUP the whole nation would never wear it). If we go for CETA and the EU will not back down on the backstop, there will be no deal. Which is why No Deal is still the likely outcome.

Because you live and work in Australia you may not notice this, but all polling shows that on the UK mainland most voters don’t care about Northern Ireland. Brexiteers would happily wave it off into the sunset.

https://theconversation.com/brexit-this-poll-reveals-a-sad-truth-about-britain-and-northern-ireland-98722

• Options

daodao said:

I don't disagree with anything you have written, apart from the fact that most people in GB (but not the 6 counties) might accept NI (but not GB) remaining in the CU, if that was the price of an achievable Brexit. I think that a minority Labour government might pursue an EEA arrangement, but I can't see a realistic way to a GE resulting in Labour as the largest party. The point of my post was the need to be pragmatic about the options that are practically available, which the obstinate Mrs May is failing to recognise.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

Perhaps 1912-14?

In many ways though that was worse as there were influential elements in both main parties actively seeking to provoke a civil war.
    Possibly, although thinking of the political lightweights of today with the giants of Lloyd George, Asquith, Churchill, Balfour and MacDonald does make one wince, the more so as WWI followed !!
  • Options

daodao said:

I

Because you live and work in Australia you may not notice this, but all polling shows that on the UK mainland most voters don’t care about Northern Ireland. Brexiteers would happily wave it off into the sunset.

https://theconversation.com/brexit-this-poll-reveals-a-sad-truth-about-britain-and-northern-ireland-98722
    But not (many) Northern Ireland voters:

We asked people in Northern Ireland how much importance they gave to five potential Brexit outcomes. For Catholic and Nationalists voters, avoiding a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic was far and away the most important consideration. For Unionists and Protestants, however, the issue mattered much less than ensuring the UK was able to negotiate its own free trade deals with non-EU countries, was no longer bound by EU rules, and had more control over immigration into the UK. Making sure Northern Ireland was treated the same as the rest of the UK was also more important than preventing a hard border.
  • Options
    Also on the Irish border:

Unionists in Northern Ireland overwhelmingly agreed that “the issue of Brexit and the Irish border is being deliberately exaggerated by politicians and others to suit their own political agenda”. More than a fifth of Nationalists agreed, as did a majority in Great Britain – including three quarters of Leave voters and four in ten remainers.

In both Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the most popular solution to the issue was for the whole UK to leave the customs union even if this meant customs checks at the Irish border.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2018/06/brexit-the-border-and-the-union/#more-15616
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    That’s funny. Their plan came apart when they couldn’t get the British government to agree Assange’s diplomatic status. What did they expect the British government to do, given that he’s wanted?

That said, it is a little surprising that no-one has tried some mad idea to get him out past the police before now - tunnelling through to a neighbouring building, having a black helicopter pick him up with a rope, hiding him in a locked diplomatic filing cabinet, radically altering his appearance etc.
  • Options

daodao said:

twitter.com/20committee/status/1042754733038071808
    All very worrying I'm sure but in cynical electoral terms, Putin's cathedral-loving poisoners were active under a Conservative government, not a Labour one.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

JackW said:

Is your ARSE giving any emanations to the public? Or are you too busy stocking up on fine pies, ready to pull up your drawbridge against roaming packs of post Brexit peasant brigands?
    Good morning young Foxy.

Like the finest boat trains of the past my ARSE has sailed its' last, its' day is done and it is now firmly planted on a mahogany toilet seat in the bowels of Auchentennach Castle.

Fine pies continue to see modest growth after a period where the main ingredient was notable for their disinclination to contribute to the coffers of the Scottish nobility. I also fear that a pie filled with the detritus of assorted Kippers and their kind would be unpalatable to 48% of the market.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Sandpit said:

You obviously didn’t read it (or didn’t understand it). Britain needed to make a realistic choice after the referendum - and still needs to make one now.

Brexit, which is inherently a conspiracy theory (see the Applebaum article in the Atlantic posted above by Carlotta), has reality-avoidance baked in, unfortunately.
    Jesus wept. Reality-avoidance is baked into the half-baked Remainers, refusing to accept that a) they lost the argument (because for decades they just ploughed on with ever closer integration without making the argument or getting democratic approval) b) they consequently lost the Referendum vote when people were asked c) they have not engaged with the reality that Brexit is going to happen because d) they have put all their eggs in the the-Establishment-will-somehow-stop-Brexit conspiracy theory basket.

You Remainers are the ones detached from reality. Have been for decades.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

Edited for clarity.
    It will take a good few generations to get anywhere close to that
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It is British people calling for the #peoplesvote, not the EU. If we decide to have one, it will be our own sovereign democratic decision.

Personally, I think that the most likely outcome of @Alistairmeeks obstacle course is Blind Brexit, with nominal Brexit in March, but into a stay the same Transitional Agreement, ending in Dec 2020. These simply is no time left for anything else apart from A50 withdrawal, and that is not going to happen.

I agree with AM that we will then start on the main discussion, which may well at that point shift the #peoplesvote campaign to Norway plus Customs Union. That would suit me, as I do find that EU rules and policies are by and large better written and constructed than ones coming from Westminster. There are worse things than being a vassal state, and we would have a sort of Devo-Max in some ares.

I agree with this with the caveat that Blind Brexit requires a solution on the Northern Ireland backstop. Only Vassal State or full membership avoid that. I would also add that Brexit is process that has its own dynamic. The EU has an incentive to drag out negotiations. At certain points the UK government may do as well. One of the ironies of Brexit is that those voting leave because they don't like the EU much will discover the EU impinges far more on our lives outside than when we were manners.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2018

daodao said:

If this incompetent governmentsuch as Myanmar and Saudi Arabia.

I

But not (many) Northern Ireland voters:

We asked people in Northern Ireland how much importance they gave to five potential Brexit outcomes. For Catholic and Nationalists voters, avoiding a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic was far and away the most important consideration. For Unionists and Protestants, however, the issue mattered much less than ensuring the UK was able to negotiate its own free trade deals with non-EU countries, was no longer bound by EU rules, and had more control over immigration into the UK. Making sure Northern Ireland was treated the same as the rest of the UK was also more important than preventing a hard border.

That may well be true. But the people of Northern Ireland can be outvoted - as the referendum showed. In any case, there’s also this:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-united-ireland-referendum-northern-border-uk-yougov-poll-a8389086.html

• Options
    Mr. Teacher, a lower case I at the end?

It'd get nicknamed the Xboxey.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited September 2018
    Interesting thread on the difficulties presented by the backstop and (exaggerated) differences within the EU:

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1043764010334736384?s=20
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    JackW said:

Foxy said:

JackW said:

Good morning young Foxy.

Like the finest boat trains of the past my ARSE has sailed its' last, its' day is done and it is now firmly planted on a mahogany toilet seat in the bowels of Auchentennach Castle.

Fine pies continue to see modest growth after a period where the main ingredient was notable for their disinclination to contribute to the coffers of the Scottish nobility. I also fear that a pie filled with the detritus of assorted Kippers and their kind would be unpalatable to 48% of the market.
    Kipper pies would be unpalatable to much of the 52% who would Leave well alone, thank you very much.

You could try Left-overs pie, but they are likely to be a bit hard to swallow I fear, being well past their best.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Norway creates a custom border on the island of Ireland so is unacceptable to the EU
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Jesus wept. Reality-avoidance is baked into the half-baked Remainers, refusing to accept that a) they lost the argument (because for decades they just ploughed on with ever closer integration without making the argument or getting democratic approval) b) they consequently lost the Referendum vote when people were asked c) they have not engaged with the reality that Brexit is going to happen because d) they have put all their eggs in the the-Establishment-will-somehow-stop-Brexit conspiracy theory basket.

And yet after those same decades Leavers still have no workable plan for leaving.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Foxy said:

I agree with this with the caveat that Blind Brexit requires a solution on the Northern Ireland backstop. Only Vassal State or full membership avoid that. I would also add that Brexit is process that has its own dynamic. The EU has an incentive to drag out negotiations. At certain points the UK government may do as well. One of the ironies of Brexit is that those voting leave because they don't like the EU much will discover the EU impinges far more on our lives outside than when we were manners.
    And the problem is the backstop is a legal text (minimal room for fudge, if any) while the “Future relationship” can be a fudge banquet.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Thank you for quoting Peter Hitchens. The Norway option is one of only 2 that are now realistic, the other being CETA, but both require a Customs border in the Irish Sea. The sooner May and this Tory govt chooses one of these 2 (essentially ready-made) solutions, the better.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Norway creates a custom border on the island of Ireland so is unacceptable to the EU
    Indeed, but there seems to be an increasing number of Brexit supporters looking for a quick way out. (I think Hitchens was only ever a Brexit supporter in theory but didn't vote for it.)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It needs to be Norway plus customs union plus common VAT area. Chequers had elements of these for this reason but was unworkable.
  • Options

daodao said:

twitter.com/20committee/status/1042754733038071808
    All very worrying I'm sure but in cynical electoral terms, Putin's cathedral-loving poisoners were active under a Conservative government, not a Labour one.
    Wasn't Litvinenko murdered in 2006? It's a pretty long-running problem. Admittedly, I don't know the assassin's take on eccelesiatical architecture in that case.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The EU are going from strength to strength. The UK is going down the toilet. If it wasn't for the inherent good manners of the french and the pragnatism of the Germans they'd say what most of the EU are now thinking. That they no longer want Britain to be part of the EU and 'very close' is probably too close. Reversing Brexit from their point of view isn't an option.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The EU are going from strength to strength. The UK is going down the toilet. If it wasn't for the inherent good manners of the french and the pragnatism of the Germans they'd say what most of the EU are now thinking. That they no longer want Britain to be part of the EU and 'very close' is probably too close. Reversing Brexit from their point of view isn't an option.

That is good news
  • Options

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

And the problem is the backstop is a legal text (minimal room for fudge, if any) while the “Future relationship” can be a fudge banquet.
    Exactly so. We have no good options. As I said below we need someone to push for SM+CU+VAT area as the least chaotic option, even if not actually good.
  • Options

Kipper pies would be unpalatable to much of the 52% who would Leave well alone, thank you very much.

You could try Left-overs pie, but they are likely to be a bit hard to swallow I fear, being well past their best.

A South-Coast Pie may have merit .... a little gay number inspired by Brighton with a dash of the Torquay Riviera and "Hello Sailor" from Portsmouth. Made in Sandbanks and priced outrageously .. :smile:
  • Options

Sandpit said:

And yet after those same decades Leavers still have no workable plan for leaving.

Yes, that is the real crisis. The Leavers have neither a plan, nor stomach for the consequences for the decision.

There is always the default No Deal Brexit*, but six months is too short for that, so a Transition Period of SM continuity BINO while we spend 2 years preparing for WTO Brexit is the best option for the Brexiteers. It gets their hands on their Precious, and prevents a reversal of Brexit via an A50 withdrawal.

*Warning: No Deal Brexit may contain nuts, and multiple mini-Deals, available only to members in good standing .
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2018
    Roger said:

How refreshing. A bacon buttie and reading Roger's musings. The UK is NOT going down the toilet. I am a Remainer, but I think the EU will live to regret their current stance. Its the EU that has to compromise more that the UK. Currently I think the EU can get stuffed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Sandpit said:

I certainly don't see why it was supposedly unreasonable for us to ask for things in a negotiation, even if we don't end up getting them. It might be unrealistic, but worth a try - however they should have had better back up plans.

• Options

Roger said:

How refreshing. A bacon buttie and reading Roger's musimngs The UK is Not going down the toilet. I am a Remainer, but I think the EU will live to regret their current stance. Its the EU that has to compromise more that the UK. Currently I think the EU can get stuffed.
    +1
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    daodao said:

Thank you for quoting Peter Hitchens. The Norway option is one of only 2 that are now realistic, the other being CETA, but both require a Customs border in the Irish Sea. The sooner May and this Tory govt chooses one of these 2 (essentially ready-made) solutions, the better.
    A good column by Hitchens, who is in today’s warped world now a moderate.
  • Options
    On 5 live last night there was a discussion on a poll (not sure which) that showed that in a 2nd referendum 25% would vote remain, 24% hard brexit, 13% Canada +, Chequers 12% and the conclusion was that remain would fail

It is hard not to disagree with that conclusion
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    He really is getting smarter on the EU issue. Says he's not calling for a referendum but because he would accept it members call for one large numbers will think he is calling for one. So continuity remainers and leavers can reassure themselves he is or their side.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    edited September 2018
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

It needs to be Norway plus customs union plus common VAT area. Chequers had elements of these for this reason but was unworkable.
    It can't however be Norway as Norway requires freedom of movement and if Brexit was about anything it was to remove freedom of movement unless skilled with a job to go to...
  • Options

Roger said:

How refreshing. A bacon buttie and reading Roger's musings. The UK is NOT going down the toilet. I am a Remainer, but I think the EU will live to regret their current stance. Its the EU that has to compromise more that the UK. Currently I think the EU can get stuffed.
    No, the UK is not going down the toilet, at worst we are in brown trousers territory.

The EU has no need to compromise, indeed no-one has any need to do so. The government has to come up with a plan that works though, and that takes more than 6 months, hence Blind Brexit to EEA plus CU plus VAT while we get our act together. Brexit ends not with a bang but with a whimper.

The problem is fundamental. Neither the country nor the government can agree what we should do.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Tell William, he keeps thinking brexit will be reversed thanks to remain having allies on the continent.
  • Options

Interesting thread on the difficulties presented by the backstop and (exaggerated) differences within the EU:

Theresa May "wooden and hopeless" in bilateral meetings in which she mistakes warm words for a willingness to cross red lines...
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

How does a diamond hard Brexit cure the EUs problems on "unworkable" borders?

HINT: it doesn't. This is the Alice in Wonderland element of the EUs position. You MUST have a position that is acceptable to us or...er....off with their heads!
  • Options
    Listening to Sophie Ridge at the labour conference there is little support from those interviewed for a second referendum. Both Lisa Nandy and Rebecca Long Bailey really do not want one

Corbyn may try a fudge but he simply will not risk stopping Brexit which would restrain his policies
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    edited September 2018
    For those interested (and I appreciate we may well be talking a select few here) the Inner House decision of the Court of Session, together with the draft remit can be found here: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2018csih62.pdf?sfvrsn=0

The petition was dismissed in the Outer House but this has been reversed on appeal. It was, in large part, dismissed in the Outer House by Lord Boyd on the issue of whether the issue was hypothetical or academic given the declared intention of the British government.

Lord Carloway has decided that things have changed because of the terms of s13 of European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018. This is the section that requires the government to come to Parliament and report the outcome of their negotiations with the EU so that Parliament can either vote in favour of that deal or not ("the meaningful vote" provision). The view of the petitioners and Lord Carloway is that if they are minded not to approve the deal they should know whether the options are to (a) leave without a deal or (b) opt to revoke Article 50 unilaterally.

It is not quite right to say the remit has been made. There are a number of hurdles for this referral to overcome yet. Firstly, the government may well seek to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court. If, as seems likely, the Court refuses leave to appeal they have the right to petition the Supreme Court itself.

Secondly, the parties must agree the terms of a remit. Only 14 days have been allowed for this and given that Lord Carloway has somewhat unusually drafted it for them this is unlikely to be much of a hold up. Thirdly, however, the CJEU has to accept the remit. That is a matter in their discretion and it is by no means certain. Intervening events might well make the matter academic. If, for example, the EU and the UK get a deal in the November meeting they may well take the view that there is nothing left to discuss.

My guess is that the government will seek to appeal this decision and that they will hope that intervening events then make the issue ever more academic. My own belief as to what would happen if the CJEU ever got its hands on the question is the same as Alastair's. The terms of Article 50 allow for an extension in the event of unanimous agreement. The terms of the notice don't contain such a provision but it seems to me that an obvious reading of the article as a whole is that any withdrawal will be read subject to unanimous consent too. The fact that such an outcome would be advantageous to the EU makes such a conclusion all the more likely.
  • Options

Listening to Sophie Ridge at the labour conference there is little support from those interviewed for a second referendum. Both Lisa Nandy and Rebecca Long Bailey really do not want one

Corbyn may try a fudge but he simply will not risk stopping Brexit which would restrain his policies

Lisa Nandy is already on the record saying she thinks Leave would win a second referendum.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/969087/Brexit-news-UK-EU-latest-European-Union-second-referendum-vote-Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-BBC
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Surely as loyal mps (well they wont defect to anyone, which amounts to the same thing) of course they would back Corbyn in that they support a GE rather than referendum, I presume, but if the members want the latter they will go for that? I really see few downsides for Corbyn and co in that approach, unless they somehow get in power and are now committed to a referendum they don't want to offer. Which is not impossible, but to keep being all things to all people is probably worth the risk.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Surely as loyal mps (well they wont defect to anyone, which amounts to the same thing) of course they would back Corbyn in that they support a GE rather than referendum, I presume, but if the members want the latter they will go for that? I really see few downsides for Corbyn and co in that approach, unless they somehow get in power and are now committed to a referendum they don't want to offer. Which is not impossible, but to keep being all things to all people is probably worth the risk.
    If Corbyn becomes PM and has to hold a second referendum, do you think he would have the honesty to campaign for Leave this time? That would be a delicious irony.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    DavidL said:

For those interested (and I appreciate we may well be talking a select few here) the Inner House decision of the Court of Session, together with the draft remit can be found here: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2018csih62.pdf?sfvrsn=0

The petition was dismissed in the Outer House but this has been reversed on appeal. It was, in large part, dismissed in the Outer House by Lord Boyd on the issue of whether the issue was hypothetical or academic given the declared intention of the British government.

Lord Carloway has decided that things have changed because of the terms of s13 of European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018. This is the section that requires the government to come to Parliament and report the outcome of their negotiations with the EU so that Parliament can either vote in favour of that deal or not ("the meaningful vote" provision). The view of the petitioners and Lord Carloway is that if they are minded not to approve the deal they should know whether the options are to (a) leave without a deal or (b) opt to revoke Article 50 unilaterally.

It is not quite right to say the remit has been made. There are a number of hurdles for this referral to overcome yet. Firstly, the government may well seek to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court. If, as seems likely, the Court refuses leave to appeal they have the right to petition the Supreme Court itself.

Secondly, the parties must agree the terms of a remit. Only 14 days have been allowed for this and given that Lord Carloway has somewhat unusually drafted it for them this is unlikely to be much of a hold up. Thirdly, however, the CJEU has to accept the remit. That is a matter in their discretion and it is by no means certain. Intervening events might well make the matter academic. If, for example, the EU and the UK get a deal in the November meeting they may well take the view that there is nothing left to discuss.

My guess is that the government will seek to appeal this decision and that they will hope that intervening events then make the issue ever more academic. My own belief as to what would happen if the CJEU ever got its hands on the question is the same as Alastair's. The terms of Article 50 allow for an extension in the event of unanimous agreement. The terms of the notice don't contain such a provision but it seems to me that an obvious reading of the article as a whole is that any withdrawal will be read subject to unanimous consent too. The fact that such an outcome would be advantageous to the EU makes such a conclusion all the more likely.

Thanks for that David, very interesting.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

No, the UK is not going down the toilet, at worst we are in brown trousers territory.

The EU has no need to compromise, indeed no-one has any need to do so. The government has to come up with a plan that works though, and that takes more than 6 months, hence Blind Brexit to EEA plus CU plus VAT while we get our act together. Brexit ends not with a bang but with a whimper.

The problem is fundamental. Neither the country nor the government can agree what we should do.
    Agreed. To my mind the bones of the present situation are clear.

The nation had the perfect right to reject the EU and did so. That said when you leave a club you do not get to determine the relationship that you might want with the rejected club.

The UK also holds no card in this game that the EU does hold a bigger and better card. None. And the clock is running down

This is the reality of our position, made considerably worse by the divisions and personal ambitions of some senior Conservative MP's and the bungling incompetence of the government and a lame duck Prime Minister grasping onto a deal that is dead in the water she is furiously paddling below.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

I can see it taking as long to finally reconcile as the Civil War and it’s aftermath did.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    edited September 2018
    Nicky Morgan on Ridge states TM will not lead into the next GE

So both wings of the party want a new leader post Brexit. Betting on TM to go next year must be favourite
  • Options

kle4 said:

If Corbyn becomes PM and has to hold a second referendum, do you think he would have the honesty to campaign for Leave this time? That would be a delicious irony.....
    More likely he’d arrange to spend a month in Palestine and let others campaign.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Roger said:

I can see it taking as long to finally reconcile as the Civil War and it’s aftermath did.
    No one is attempting a reconstruction. At present Leave seem intent on quite the reverse.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I think he would try to sit it out. Or he would be bounced into remain by the big two polarizing.
This discussion has been closed.