Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Labour conference reacted when Keith Starmer said Rema

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the Labour conference reacted when Keith Starmer said Remain should be an option in any public vote

Follow @MSmithsonPB // < ![CDATA[ // < ![CDATA[ xfunction(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(https://politicalwire.com/2018/04/15/stormy-daniels-will-be-at-cohens-court-hearing/!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); // ]]>

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2018
    Oh Em-il-y Thornberry!
  • Options
    Interesting.... important ad lib that one...
  • Options
    Nobody's ruling it out ... except for McDonnell and Len McCluskey.

Also wasn't it said previously that speeches at Conference had to be approved by Milne beforehand? And I believe that when Starmer said this it wasn't part of the script. Which certainly implies it wasn't what had been agreed beforehand and Starmer was going off script and against McDonnell, Milne, McCluskey and presumably Corbyn here.

Unless something dramatic changes what matters is what Corbyn et al want not Starmer.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Starmer will be knifed before nightfall.

Nobody messes with magic grandpa.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn is sued by 'Zionist' he accused of 'not getting' English irony

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6205885/Jeremy-Corbyn-sued-Zionist-accused-not-getting-English-irony.html
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), that would not be in accordance with kinder, gentler politics.

Of course, it would be tragic if Starmer very sadly, accidentally brutally cut his head off whilst combing his hair.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    TGOHF said:

If so that would be Jezza's Ceaucescu moment.

Jezza will go with it, not least because it will not happen.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The decline in longevity is over the last few years, so not reflecting migration. In any case, Most BME groups have longer life expectancy than white BritonsScots..

https://jech.bmj.com/content/70/12/1251

Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Starmer is unsackable now. The forces of Remain are on the march.
  • Options
    Comrades, do not believe the deceitful smears vomited by the capitalist pigdog press barons!

Chairman Corbyn continues to enjoy the unanimous support of all commissars of the Politburo. The very uniformity of thinking was proven by the spontaneous flag-waving enjoyed by everyone later that same day.

The People's Labour Party remains utterly united. Everyone loves the Supreme Leader, and he loves everyone, even those misguided fools guilty of wrongthink get to enjoy their re-education in the luxurious camps of Siberia.
  • Options
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Starmer is unsackable now. The forces of Remain are on the march.
    Cliff edge -->
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn is sued by 'Zionist' he accused of 'not getting' English irony

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6205885/Jeremy-Corbyn-sued-Zionist-accused-not-getting-English-irony.html

Do you think Jeremy will get the irony?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

The decline in longevity is over the last few years, so not reflecting migration. In any case, Most BME groups have longer life expectancy than white BritonsScots..

Fixed it for you.

It was a Scottish study but the figures include a seperate tab for White British. Better longevity than the Scots, but not as good as British Asians.

"The life expectancy of White Scottish males at birth was 74.7 years (95% CI 74.6 to 74.8), similar to Mixed Background (73.0; 70.2 to 75.8) and White Irish (75.0; 74.0 to 75.9), but shorter than Indian (80.9; 78.4 to 83.4), Pakistani (79.3; 76.9 to 81.6), Chinese (79.0; 76.5 to 81.5), Other White British (78.9; 78.6 to 79.2) and Other White (77.2; 76.4 to 78.1). "
  • Options
    I'm pleased I advised taking Emily Thornberry at 28-1 for next Labour leader.That was a leader's speech if ever I saw one.There's still 6-1 available and after that performance 6s is too big too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Very split reaction. Skinner looked furious !
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

I'm pleased I advised taking Emily Thornberry at 28-1 for next Labour leader.That was a leader's speech if ever I saw one.There's still 6-1 available and after that performance 6s is too big too.

She will forever be haunted by Flag-gate. The Tories will be very lucky if she becomes Labour leader.
  • Options

Comrades, do not believe the deceitful smears vomited by the capitalist pigdog press barons!

Chairman Corbyn continues to enjoy the unanimous support of all commissars of the Politburo. The very uniformity of thinking was proven by the spontaneous flag-waving enjoyed by everyone later that same day.

The People's Labour Party remains utterly united. Everyone loves the Supreme Leader, and he loves everyone, even those misguided fools guilty of wrongthink get to enjoy their re-education in the luxurious camps of Siberia.

But the people are begging to know of the Supreme Leader : why has Comrade Starmer vanished from our official conference photo, and commemorative mug and travel pack ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    To be honest, say what you like about May but I think she's probably the best leader available amongst the current mediocrities.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    That's it folks, time to cancel Brexit.
  • Options
    Comrade Oracle, who is this 'Comrade Starmer' to which you refer? Clearly, this is a fictitious character invented by the bourgeois rightwing capitalists to try and sow the seeds of discontent by hijacking the image of re-education camp attendee #31266 in the obvious fraudulent pretence that he is some sort of party official.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited September 2018

Comrade Oracle, who is this 'Comrade Starmer' to which you refer? Clearly, this is a fictitious character invented by the bourgeois rightwing capitalists to try and sow the seeds of discontent by hijacking the image of re-education camp attendee #31266 in the obvious fraudulent pretence that he is some sort of party official.

I wish the BBC would show a repeat of Comrade Dad starring George Cole.
  • Options
    Brom said:

She will forever be haunted by Flag-gate. The Tories will be very lucky if she becomes Labour leader.
    She comes across as very smug.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Fixed it for you.

Worked to death by their oppressors to fund the largesse down south
  • Options
    Fooling fewer of the people less of the time?
  • Options

Brom said:

She comes across as very smug.
    Should win over many Tories in swing seats then :)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    What I can't decide is whether he actually believes what he's saying, or whether he's simply promotional by nature.

Is he, to put it another way, Elizabeth Holmes or simply your average startup founder?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What I can't decide is whether he actually believes what he's saying, or whether he's simply promotional by nature.

Is he, to put it another way, Elizabeth Holmes or simply your average startup founder?
    Surprised he didn't have a table of Trump steaks next to him and tried to flog them as well...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

A few weeks ago I met someone who has dealt with Donald Trump, he said he has the same issue as Jeffrey Archer.

If he invested a pound and it turned into a return of £ 1 million he'd tell the world he invested a penny and returned £ 10 million.
  • Options

I stand corrected, Comrade Dancer, and now see that Comrade Starmer is the fictitious creation of imperialist sources; also now accepting any sanction handed as down to me by the central committee.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    No-one's ruling it out...except the 2017 manifesto
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2018
    https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1044612290107117568

Says a Canada style deal will lead to the break up of the UK.
  • Options

Theresa May says a Canada style deal will lead to the break up of the UK

Is she talking now or is that just a random observation?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1044612290107117568

What's the source? Hard to tell from the image.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Talking to journalists on the flight to the UN.

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-no-brexit-deal-better-than-a-canada-style-one-11508434
  • Options
    Rob/William

The prime minister has said a no deal Brexit would be better than a Canada-style deal proposed by rebel Brexiteers, which she claims would lead to the break-up of the UK.

Speaking during her flight to the UN General Assembly in New York, Theresa May also hit out at Labour, saying the party would "accept any deal Europe gives, regardless of how bad it is for the UK".

Asked directly by reporters whether no deal would be better than a free trade agreement like that agreed between the EU and Canada, Mrs. May said: "I've always said no deal is better than a bad deal, and I think a bad deal, for example, would be something that broke up the United Kingdom.

"What we've put on the table is a good deal. It's a deal which retains the union of the UK, our constitutional integrity, it's a deal which provides for no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland, protects jobs and enables us to have good trade relationship with Europe and the rest of the world."

https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-no-brexit-deal-better-than-a-canada-style-one-11508434
  • Options
    Meanwhile...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/25/brexit-transition-period-too-short-angela-merkel

Merkel said the terms needed to be nailed down now “concretely” in the speech to German industrialists in Berlin.

She told business leaders the goal was “to formulate future relations with the UK as concretely as possible”. She said otherwise the transition period would “very quickly become too short” to conclude what was likely to be a “very intensive” set of negotiations.

“Playing for time, I believe, also doesn’t help the business community, because the business community needs clarity,” Merkel said. “We have six to eight weeks of very hard work ahead of us in which we have to take the political decisions. A lot depends on what Britain really wants.”
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, on that May line: why does she think Canada worse than no deal? It can't be because of a hard border, because that'd exist with no deal.
  • Options
    F1: rumour Vandoorne's off to Formula E.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, on that May line: why does she think Canada worse than no deal? It can't be because of a hard border, because that'd exist with no deal.

She has painted herself into a corner. There is nowhere to go other than a humiliating climbdown. A resignation-level climbdown.

Then we are all well and truly shafted.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, well, quite. She has been a bit careless laying the minefield, only to find she's now trapped herself on a small hillock.
  • Options

It's the Jim Jones doctrine of revolutionary suicide.
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, well, quite. She has been a bit careless laying the minefield, only to find she's now trapped herself on a small hillock.

Without a map, after spinning round 10 times, in the dark, and in the path of a tornado.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

She has painted herself into a corner. There is nowhere to go other than a humiliating climbdown. A resignation-level climbdown.

I suspect it is the Irish sea border that is non negotiable - she has said it many times.

The interesting thing is that so far she has a united cabinet which contains Brexiteers

If Raab, Gove, Mordaunt, or McVey resigned over her deal that would be her crisis but until that happens I see no chance of a resignation
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, could be worse, to be fair.

And by worse, I mean Boris. Or Corbyn.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

Rob/William

The prime minister has said a no deal Brexit would be better than a Canada-style deal proposed by rebel Brexiteers, which she claims would lead to the break-up of the UK.

Speaking during her flight to the UN General Assembly in New York, Theresa May also hit out at Labour, saying the party would "accept any deal Europe gives, regardless of how bad it is for the UK".

Asked directly by reporters whether no deal would be better than a free trade agreement like that agreed between the EU and Canada, Mrs. May said: "I've always said no deal is better than a bad deal, and I think a bad deal, for example, would be something that broke up the United Kingdom.

"What we've put on the table is a good deal. It's a deal which retains the union of the UK, our constitutional integrity, it's a deal which provides for no hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland, protects jobs and enables us to have good trade relationship with Europe and the rest of the world."

The state of this deluded woman. She's going have to go.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Anorak said:

Without a map, after spinning round 10 times, in the dark, and in the path of a tornado.
    Genius!
    Wait for the tornado arrive, it picks you up and drops you off safely outside the minefield. I can't believe she could come up with such a successful and cunning plan.
  • Options
    Well fancy that:

https://twitter.com/simonjhix/status/1044492403523170304

The whole article is well worth a read too.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Anorak said:

Genius!
    Wait for the tornado arrive, it picks you up and drops you off safely outside the minefield. I can't believe she could come up with such a successful and cunning plan.
    We're not in Kansas anymore.
  • Options

This attack line doesn't work if they are also saying that Labour don't accept the referendum result.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @logical_song FPT

Asil Nadir: the Tories accepted a donation from a company which had significant legitimate businesses. The company subsequently went bankrupt because of fraud/theft by its ceo

Michael Brown: a convicted fraudster stole some money from pensioners. He gave some of that stolen money to the LibDems.

Fundamentally the Tories associated with an unsavoury character. The LibDems benefited from the proceeds of crime. Those are very different.

• Options
    saddo said:

Rob/William

And if she gets a deal
  • Options

Anorak said:

I suspect it is the Irish sea border that is non negotiable - she has said it many times.

The interesting thing is that so far she has a united cabinet which contains Brexiteers

If Raab, Gove, Mordaunt, or McVey resigned over her deal that would be her crisis but until that happens I see no chance of a resignation
    Hmmm. And yet No.10 was briefing that it was only the intransigence of the DUP that scuppered things.

As I said, painted herself into a corner when she didn't need to. Yet again.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Yes but the EU have said they won't give any deal including hers without that either.
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, could be worse, to be fair.

And by worse, I mean Boris. Or Corbyn.

JRM would be worse than those two combined.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fixed it for you.

It was a Scottish study but the figures include a seperate tab for White British. Better longevity than the Scots, but not as good as British Asians.

"The life expectancy of White Scottish males at birth was 74.7 years (95% CI 74.6 to 74.8), similar to Mixed Background (73.0; 70.2 to 75.8) and White Irish (75.0; 74.0 to 75.9), but shorter than Indian (80.9; 78.4 to 83.4), Pakistani (79.3; 76.9 to 81.6), Chinese (79.0; 76.5 to 81.5), Other White British (78.9; 78.6 to 79.2) and Other White (77.2; 76.4 to 78.1). "
    It's still restricted to samples in the Scottish 2001 Census. There may be an issue with Scottish sub-samples.....

The divergence from the places they have left is dramtatic - and suspect. Life expectency in India in 2018 is 165th out of 228 countries at a little over 69 - not the 80.9 they found. In 2018, Pakistan is 169 out of 228 countries worldwide for life expectency at 68. By way of contrast, the UK is 29th at 81.

For example, the report doesn't cover mortality from anyone of African or Caribbean origin. I'm not sure you can rely on these numbers for UK wide effects on longevity. Somalia is 220th of 226 in the world at 53. Afghanistan 224th at 52. Both have recordable numbers present across the UK, if not perhaps in Scotland.

http://www.geoba.se/population.php?pc=world&type=015&year=2018&st=rank&asde=&page=2
  • Options

saddo said:

Rob/William

And if she gets a deal
    How many times does she have to be told by EU leaders: Chequers breaks our vision of the SM and we wont accept it?

She is deluded and will lead us over the cliff.
  • Options

Rob/William

That looks tactically astute. Theresa May is using the headbangers' own arguments against them, pointing out a big supposed negative of their suggested deal.

I expect there's an element of RIADBEC after the way they trashed her own proposals in the summer.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jackamayorcas/status/1044606840334684161

So only a few minutes after Thornberry told the party it had to tackle its racist fringe.
  • Options

Well fancy that:

To be honest I have no problem with immigration as long as it meets our needs.

I do think we need to increase immigration and I am relaxed from where it comes as long as they integrate into our communities
  • Options
    Covering all bases:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1044618130587357185

I expect this is tactically astute too.
  • Options
    Corbyn hedging on voting down the deal on BBC
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited September 2018
    "Not ruling it out" (ie keeping your options open) isn't the same as it actually happening.

Looks like this is just a "holding position" to get through conference.

I'm confident Jezza (who was eurosceptic before even Farage) will save Brexit for us in the end! :D
  • Options

I expect there's an element of RIADBEC after the way they trashed her own proposals in the summer.

RIADBEC? Can you enlighten me?

Ah. No. Got it. And surely RIADBSC is correct.

• Options

Anorak said:

Or Javid. That would the sign we were off to the races - and May was off to the knackers yard....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Do you think that Elizabeth Holmes believed what she was saying?

I think she was a narcissist and fraudster obsessed with her status and wealth
  • Options

Covering all bases:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1044618130587357185

I expect this is tactically astute too.

The LibDems tried to be all things to all men.

They went down to 8 seats.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    If Labour formed the next government and held a second EU referendum Remain could well beat No Deal if that was where we were but a Norway or Canada option would likely beat Remain if they were alternatives
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Anorak said:

I haven't and it is bugging me.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Anorak said:

Best Served Cold.
  • Options

Rob/William

So the headline is bullshit then.
  • Options

Well fancy that:

To be honest I have no problem with immigration as long as it meets our needs.

I do think we need to increase immigration and I am relaxed from where it comes as long as they integrate into our communities
    "What’s striking – and no one is talking about – is that British voters prefer EU to non-EU migrants:"

There may be trouble ahead...
  • Options
    It's all a bit different from when he was demanding A50 be triggered the morning after the Brexit vote isn't it? :D
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Anorak said:

kjh said:

Anorak said:

Best Served Cold.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007

RobD said:

Talking to journalists on the flight to the UN.

Perhaps you have been right all along William Glenn, May is the Remainer she always was and knows No Deal means Remain will comfortably win a second EU referendum sooner rather than later and RIP Brexit.

However if she denies Brexiteers the chance of trying for a Canada style FTA and a sustainable Brexit her days as Tory leader and PM are surely numbered
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If Labour formed the next government and held a second EU referendum Remain could well beat No Deal if that was where we were but a Norway or Canada option would likely beat Remain if they were alternatives

While I do not see a GE Corbyn hedging on voting just now raised a point that could be interesting.

He will have seen the overwhelming support for remain in the conference hall today and the gauntlet Starmer has laid down and he may well come to the conclusion voting down TM deal could lead to a second referendum and the UK remaining. That would be a catastrophe for him so maybe abstain the deal and be out rather than risk remain
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2018
    As a kid I saw on our family farm a couple of chickens beheaded to prepare them for our Sunday dinner. They would have run around bumping into things if my uncle hadn't popped them upside down in a bucket.
  • Options
    The Speccie seems to think Thornberry's speech was a leadership pitch and some think Starmer's speech was too. Is there a vacancy?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It's all a bit different from when he was demanding A50 be triggered the morning after the Brexit vote isn't it? :D
    That was before May squandered the 2 years of negotiating though.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

My view: at first, she did believe it. She wanted to do something amazing. She thought that a medical device to measure loads of things from a tiny drop of blood would be amazing, so she set out to make it. Despite not having much experience in that sort of area.

But it turned out that what she wanted was, if not impossible, incredibly difficult to do. Instead of reducing her aims, or refocussing, or just giving up, she continued in the vain hope that something would turn up. In the process she became a ratheer flamboyant fraudster. The obsession with status and wealth was always there (hence the 'I want to do something amazing'), but just grew when silly old men started fawning over her.

Others may have different opinions. :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

While I do not see a GE Corbyn hedging on voting just now raised a point that could be interesting.

He will have seen the overwhelming support for remain in the conference hall today and the gauntlet Starmer has laid down and he may well come to the conclusion voting down TM deal could lead to a second referendum and the UK remaining. That would be a catastrophe for him so maybe abstain the deal and be out rather than risk remain
    You really are an optimist.

There is Zero chance of TM getting a deal through unless it is a customs union.

Surely you must realise Chequers or similar has no chance of getting through no matter how many wishes you use to make it so.
  • Options
    Who is the strange guy that looks like a spitting image puppet nodding like Churchill the Dog, just under one minute in?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

So Trump in a dress, then.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2018
    Totally incoherent....Peston that is....and Jezza of course.
  • Options
  • Options

The Speccie seems to think Thornberry's speech was a leadership pitch and some think Starmer's speech was too. Is there a vacancy?

Starmer is someone a lot of normally-not-Labour voters would lend their vote to
  • Options
    Corbyn or Peston ?
    (You surely can’t mean TSE...)

• Options

HYUFD said:

You really are an optimist.

There is Zero chance of TM getting a deal through unless it is a customs union.

Surely you must realise Chequers or similar has no chance of getting through no matter how many wishes you use to make it so.
    Chequers is a mid way between Norway and Canada and I still believe it will be delivered subject to the cabinet remaining united
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    He's just stringing his members and activists along to get through conference...

As I've thought all the way along in the comfort of his own home (and the polling booth on 23rd June 2016) he's the biggest Brexiteer of them all! :D
  • Options

Who is the strange guy that looks like a spitting image puppet nodding like Churchill the Dog, just under one minute in?

Stephen Timms MP.
  • Options

Starmer is someone a lot of normally-not-Labour voters would lend their vote to
    Which is why he is unelectable to the membership.
  • Options

Totally incoherent....Peston that is....and Jezza of course.
    It is because he is thicker than the average plank
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He's just stringing his members and activists along to get through conference...

As I've thought all the way along in the comfort of his own home (and the polling booth on 23rd June 2016) he's the biggest Brexiteer of them all! :D
    Always has been, always will be.

It is part of the magic of Magic Grandpa that none of his young followers, who passionately want to be in Europe, are able to notice.
This discussion has been closed.