Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Poll trends that will shape

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Poll trends that will shape the future…education, Brexit and the politically homeless with Paula Surridge

On this week’s PB / Polling Matters podcast, Keiran Pedley is joined by Paula Surridge (Senior Lecturer in Political Sociology at the University of Bristol).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Thornberry for leader with Starmer as shadchan would be my pick.
  • Options

First

Not that it matters but I was and the thread then disappeared. Weird bugs.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Anazina said:

Steamer is close to unreconstituted evil, in my view.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    philiph said:

Anazina said:

Weird opinion.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    Follow Follow @MichaelRosenYes
    More
    Dear @BBCNewsnight Last night you showed several vox pops of people in Chesterfield saying we won’t vote Lab under Corbyn. Under Corbyn the Lab vote in Chesterfield went up by 5000 votes. Best wishes, Michael
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Labour formed the next government and held a second EU referendum Remain could well beat No Deal if that was where we were but a Norway or Canada option would likely beat Remain if they were alternatives

While I do not see a GE Corbyn hedging on voting just now raised a point that could be interesting.

He will have seen the overwhelming support for remain in the conference hall today and the gauntlet Starmer has laid down and he may well come to the conclusion voting down TM deal could lead to a second referendum and the UK remaining. That would be a catastrophe for him so maybe abstain the deal and be out rather than risk remain
    You really are an optimist.

There is Zero chance of TM getting a deal through unless it is a customs union.

Surely you must realise Chequers or similar has no chance of getting through no matter how many wishes you use to make it so.
    Chequers is a mid way between Norway and Canada and I still believe it will be delivered subject to the cabinet remaining united
    The EU have said 'No'.

How many times do they need to say it?
    Let us see. Only a few weeks now
    We've already seen. What more will it take?
    TM to walk out or more likely strike a deal
    I don't get your idolation of TM.

The EU say no, explicitly and clearly. Not maybe, an outright no. Are they lieing?

Why would you listen to TM but not the EU?
    I do not idolise TM. She has many faults but she has little more than 3 weeks to do a deal but she has cabinet support.

The fact she may not deliver your kind of brexit is not my problem
    I'm flexible about what kind of Brexit is delivered (and I'd be OK with remaining, I was torn in the referendum). I don't have faith in May, you're right that she's little more than 3 weeks to do a deal but after 2 years of the EU saying "here's the options, pick one" she is still picking a chimera they have rejected!

Right now we need a leader who will stand up and say "Canada+" or "EEA". Those are options. The EU have already said Chequers is not. The next 3 weeks will be more productive if we make a choice.
  • Options
    I see Bill Cosby has gone down for 10 years.

Poetic justice
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited September 2018

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More
    Dear @BBCNewsnight Last night you showed several vox pops of people in Chesterfield saying we won’t vote Lab under Corbyn. Under Corbyn the Lab vote in Chesterfield went up by 5000 votes. Best wishes, Michael

And the Conservative vote doubled.

Edit: an 8,000 increase.
  • Options

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

All done down to Toby Perkins.

He gained the seat from the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

I see Bill Cosby has gone down for 10 years.

Poetic justice

3-10 I thought?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Labour formed the next government and held a second EU referendum Remain could well beat No Deal if that was where we were but a Norway or Canada option would likely beat Remain if they were alternatives

While I do not see a GE Corbyn hedging on voting just now raised a point that could be interesting.

He will have seen the overwhelming support for remain in the conference hall today and the gauntlet Starmer has laid down and he may well come to the conclusion voting down TM deal could lead to a second referendum and the UK remaining. That would be a catastrophe for him so maybe abstain the deal and be out rather than risk remain
    You really are an optimist.

There is Zero chance of TM getting a deal through unless it is a customs union.

Surely you must realise Chequers or similar has no chance of getting through no matter how many wishes you use to make it so.
    Chequers is a mid way between Norway and Canada and I still believe it will be delivered subject to the cabinet remaining united
    The EU have said 'No'.

How many times do they need to say it?
    Let us see. Only a few weeks now
    We've already seen. What more will it take?
    TM to walk out or more likely strike a deal
    I don't get your idolation of TM.

The EU say no, explicitly and clearly. Not maybe, an outright no. Are they lieing?

Why would you listen to TM but not the EU?
    I do not idolise TM. She has many faults but she has little more than 3 weeks to do a deal but she has cabinet support.

The fact she may not deliver your kind of brexit is not my problem
    I'm flexible about what kind of Brexit is delivered (and I'd be OK with remaining, I was torn in the referendum). I don't have faith in May, you're right that she's little more than 3 weeks to do a deal but after 2 years of the EU saying "here's the options, pick one" she is still picking a chimera they have rejected!

Right now we need a leader who will stand up and say "Canada+" or "EEA". Those are options. The EU have already said Chequers is not. The next 3 weeks will be more productive if we make a choice.
    In fairness who is that leader
  • Options

Jeremy Hunt, he's a Prime Minister in waiting.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Anazina said:

Lady Throberry who looks down her nose on the great unwashed and Starmer who wants to overturn the vote's of 17m people and make them keep voting until they get it right.

What can possibly go wrong...
  • Options

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Toby is an effective campaigner.

Not so much an effective Goalkeeper

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Campling/status/1044481658123153408
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Remind me, did somebody get on him at 66-1?
  • Options

Hunt or Sajid for me - but in the next few weeks
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2018

Virtually any of the Cabinet.

Jeremy Hunt, Sajiid Javid, Phil Hammond, Dominic Raab - they wouldn't all make the same decision (Hunt would likely say Canada, Hammond would likely say EEA) but all of them could make a decision. May is paralysed.
  • Options

After the Theresa May experience I'll be surprised if Con go for another Remainer.

I think Raab's stock is rising rather quickly...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Lady Throberry who looks down her nose on the great unwashed and Starmer who wants to overturn the vote's of 17m people and make them keep voting until they get it right.

Ultra Brexiteers pushing too hard and losing brexit
  • Options

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

In fact oddly it was much closer in 2017 than in 2015 despite Labour topping 50% (54%) of the vote, due to the surge in Conservative votes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

And the Conservative vote doubled.

Edit: an 8,000 increase.
    Newsnights point was Corbyn is losing Labour voters though

Plus only time in recent years Lab lost Chesterfield was under Blair
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Just seen Ruth Davidson on Ch4 News. She looks extremely pregnant. One of those do-it-yourself jobs?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just seen Ruth Davidson on Ch4 News. She looks extremely pregnant. One of those do-it-yourself jobs?

That is unnecessary
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

philiph said:

Anazina said:

Weird opinion.
    Only on PB.
  • Options

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Only once Blair had gone.

Chesterfield hates New Labour
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Not the England flags again! Some nutter who covers his house in England flags - what an absolute helmet he is.
  • Options

Well he is an expert in waiting at least at increasing Waiting Lists and increasing Waiting Times
  • Options
    Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Not the England flags again! Some nutter who covers his house in England flags - what an absolute helmet he is.
    My wife flies the union jack, the scots and welsh flags in our garden. Is she a nutter
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

The thing is that a lot of people who say "I've always been Labour, but not anymore" were, despite their claims, not actually that Labour in the first place.

A good example is Michelle Dewberry - she made a big play on 'The Pledge' every week about "always used to be Labour and "I was born and bred Labour" etcetc. But then one week she admitted she'd never actually voted for them (she said she hadn't voted at all until she was in her late 20s, and in the couple of elections since then had voted Tory) - by "always been Labour", she meant she was from Hull and was surrounded by friends and family who were Labour voters.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Sneer away; it won't win your lot votes....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2018
    Anazina said:

I got mixed feelings about her. She sends round a perfectly reasonable photo then apologises for it. Someone with a sense of humour and enough courage to defend their actions would clean up.

Too many pusillanimous politicians at the moment. If she finds white van man wit flags funny say so
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Roger said:

Would you say that about any other same sex couple?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Anazina said:

I got mixed feelings about her. She sends round a perfectly reasonable photo then apologises for it. the country's desperate for someone with a sense of humour and enough courage to defend their actions. Too many pusillanimous politicians at the moment
    It was five years ago!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Here we go - PB’s most patronising poster in history pipes up. Would you (or your wife) like to live next to this bellend? No. So pipe down.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Anazina said:

First

Not that it matters but I was and the thread then disappeared. Weird bugs.
    Are you sure it’s not the deep state at work?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

philiph said:

Anazina said:

Weird opinion.
    If half of what my mum knows from his time as DPP were public... let’s just say Labour would be hostage to fortune
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Ultra Brexiteers pushing too hard and losing brexit
    It's already very close to having happened that way.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    philiph said:

Anazina said:

Good lord, that’s unhinged.

Many of the people who’ve worked with him despise him and I wouldn’t put a lawyer anywhere near a budget but evil?
  • Options

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

My wife flies the union jack, the scots and welsh flags in our garden. Is she a nutter
    As she doesn’t cover the front of the house in St George’s crosses, I would suggest not. Nowt wrong with flying flags. Using them as outdoor curtains...?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6557365/white-van-man-mocked-by-labour-mp-emily-thornberry-backing-england-in-world-cup-with-flag-display/amp/
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Here we go - PB’s most patronising poster in history pipes up. Would you (or your wife) like to live next to this bellend? No. So pipe down.
    To be honest you give him a good run on patronising. It’s hardly a unique trait here,malbeit that doctors seem particularly susceptible to it.
  • Options

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

The Union Jack would be odd but a Union Flag would be ok...
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

As she doesn’t cover the front of the house in St George’s crosses, I would suggest not. Nowt wrong with flying flags. Using them as outdoor curtains...?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6557365/white-van-man-mocked-by-labour-mp-emily-thornberry-backing-england-in-world-cup-with-flag-display/amp/
    Actually they represent our welsh, scots and english heritage
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

The thing is that a lot of people who say "I've always been Labour, but not anymore" were, despite their claims, not actually that Labour in the first place.

A good example is Michelle Dewberry - she made a big play on 'The Pledge' every week about "always used to be Labour and "I was born and bred Labour" etcetc. But then one week she admitted she'd never actually voted for them (she said she hadn't voted at all until she was in her late 20s, and in the couple of elections since then had voted Tory) - by "always been Labour", she meant she was from Hull and was surrounded by friends and family who were Labour voters.
    Who is she?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

Errr....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Roger said:

Anazina said:

I got mixed feelings about her. She sends round a perfectly reasonable photo then apologises for it. Someone with a sense of humour and enough courage to defend their actions would clean up.

Too many pusillanimous politicians at the moment. If she finds white van man wit flags funny say so
    She shouldn't have been sacked, Ed M made the wrong move there.
    Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

I can see that. I've a relative for example who never voted until Brexit (but then did in 2017) but who still described themselves as a Labour man, even though they didn't really seem that Labour to me (though definitely working class and originally from a Labour voting area). Push come to shove they voted Tory in 2017 due to dislike of Corbyn.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Who is she?
    Panelist on 'The Pledge' (which is basically 'Question Time' without the moronic audience)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

The Union Jack would be odd but a Union Flag would be ok...
    I think the suggestion is it would be better to fly Jack than to fly lots of flags...
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Who is she?
    She is on TV quite a lot including in the Pledge. From Hull she is down to earth and I like her no nonsense approach to politics. Stood as an independent in Hull at the last GE I believe
  • Options

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Who is she?
    She is on TV quite a lot including in the Pledge. From Hull she is down to earth and I like her no nonsense approach to politics. Stood as an independent in Hull at the last GE I believe
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

I have no problem with flags - our neighbours could cover their house in EU flags if they like; it’s their house.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2018
    Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Have you been to Scotland and seen the numbers of saltires flying
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

I have no problem with flags - our neighbours could cover their house in EU flags if they like; it’s their house.

You live next door to William Glenn? :D
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    I think an American would fly the Stars and Stripes.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Roger said:

A most ungallant remark.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Who is she?
    Also a good strong Leaver.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

They could, but I get annoyed with the Labour voter (because he is, I remember GE2017) in the small sleepy Hampshire village of Medstead 4 miles away from me who flies an EU flag from his house day in, day out.
  • Options
    Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Sure. I remember when we were confident as a nation, we knew who we were and didn’t need to fly flags. We’ve lost something.
  • Options

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

She’s a good solid patriot. Pass on my respect and regards.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Sure. I remember when we were confident as a nation, we knew who we were and didn’t need to fly flags. We’ve lost something.
    The Scots and Welsh have flown flags for as long as I remember.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

I'll be really worried when people start singing the National Anthem all the time.

Not because of jingoism, but because it's such a shite piece of music.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Surely the Welsh flag was only adopted less than 60 years ago?

Edit - thinks through tactless implication and clarifies - when you were at school surely it didn't exist? (Although that's not perhaps vastly better, sorry!)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

I'll be really worried when people start singing the National Anthem all the time.

By shite, you must mean congregational. Would you prefer an anthem like that of the Latin American countries which the man on the Quito omnibus has no chance of singing?

Performed as a vocal trio with Baroque instruments and the original words, it’s quite fun. Perhaps this is what they should do at football matches.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Not the magnificient Welsh anthem though. Even my Scots father in law said it was inspiring
  • Options

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

She’s a good solid patriot. Pass on my respect and regards.
    Thank you and she is
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Edit - thinks through tactless implication and clarifies - when you were at school surely it didn't exist? (Although that's not perhaps vastly better, sorry!)
    When in a hole...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Exactly my point.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

By shite, you must mean congregational. Would you prefer an anthem like that of the Latin American countries which the man on the Quito omnibus has no chance of singing?

Performed as a vocal trio with Baroque instruments and the original words, it’s quite fun. Perhaps this is what they should do at football matches.
    I'll take the Welsh national anthem, with pleasure. Or the French one (can feel TSE plotting my death already). Even the Italian one (although I think most Italians prefer Aida). Not the British though, it's just dull.

I do prefer the Argentine national anthem, and I can actually sing it. Or Advance Australia Fair although again I prefer Waltzing Matilda.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

I was at school in Berwick on Tweed at the time
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

I'll take the Welsh national anthem, with pleasure. Or the French one (can feel TSE plotting my death already). Even the Italian one (although I think most Italians prefer Aida). Not the British though, it's just dull.

I do prefer the Argentine national anthem, and I can actually sing it. Or Advance Australia Fair although again I prefer Waltzing Matilda.
    Argentina? ARGENTINA?

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Russia’s is the clearly the best.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

I was at school in Berwick on Tweed at the time
    Fair answer.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Who is she?
    Also a good strong Leaver.
    She was on the Apprentice iirc.

Might even have been one of the winners.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Argentina? ARGENTINA?

I will admit that is a good singable anthem. Kazakhstan's has its good points as well (and no, I don't mean the theme tune from Borat).
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Danny565 said:

Anazina said:

Danny565 said:

Michael Rosen

@MichaelRosenYes
    More

Who is she?
    Panelist on 'The Pledge' (which is basically 'Question Time' without the moronic audience)
    Seems like she'll probably wish to be, and really should be forgotten.

I rather like the QT audience. The bbc get it mostly right there in my view. Some crashingly dull exceptions, but they know that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Argentina? ARGENTINA?

I will admit that is a good singable anthem. Kazakhstan's has its good points as well (and no, I don't mean the theme tune from Borat).
    The only good thing about East Germany was its anthem.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2018
    Just watched TM interviewed and she did her best Maybot. Looked very tired and tetchy

I do not envy her job at all

Edit : Just remembered I am not supposed to critise her - sorry
  • Options
    France and Wales have the best national anthems.

Russia’s not far behind.

Ours is an utter dirge. We should have switched to Jerusalem decades ago.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Russia’s not far behind.

Sorry to be awkward, but I don't like Jerusalem either!
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Roger said:

A most ungallant remark.
    I'm not sure from this if Roger is aware that she actually is pregnant.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Argentina? ARGENTINA?

The only good thing about East Germany was its anthem.
    Come on. No country that gave us the Trabant could be entirely awful.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

A better idea would be to avoid any such naff displays and show a modicum of respect for your neighbours, instead of acting like an obstrusive helmet.
  • Options
    alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

Roger said:

A most ungallant remark.
    I think he’s perfectly aware. Fortunately, being a right-on leftie means that his remark can’t possibly be homophobic.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Yes

Jonathan said:

Anazina said:

GIN1138 said:

Anazina said:

How very American.
    No British

Argentina? ARGENTINA?

France is in a league of its own in terms of Nation anthems. Patriotic songs - Scotland all the way. Wales only features because they can all sing.

The British National Anthem is rather awful, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if that was the point. Iron-fisted imperialism at something like its most benign.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

Roger said:

A most ungallant remark.
    I think he’s perfectly aware. Fortunately, being a right-on leftie who doesn't come from Swansea means that his remark can’t possibly be homophobic.
    Minor alteration.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

France is in a league of its own in terms of Nation anthems. Patriotic songs - Scotland all the way. Wales only features because they can all sing.

The British National Anthem is rather awful, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if that was the point. Iron-fisted imperialism at something like its most benign.

Well, perhaps. The uncut German anthem is distinctly sinister. But then so is ours when sung in full. I think it's just terribly Victorian - solid, pompous, unimaginative and slow.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Anazina said:

Russia’s not far behind.

I'm not sure 'Oh Jeremy' would find it easy to join in a heart rendition of Jerusalem.
  • Options
    Holst. I vow to thee my country.

Or something modern that people can actually sing.

At least God Save the Queen is easy to belt out.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

Roger said:

A most ungallant remark.
    I think he’s perfectly aware. Fortunately, being a right-on leftie means that his remark can’t possibly be homophobic.
    You're being too generous. I thought he was demonstrating both homophobia AND fattism.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I'm surprised you endorse an anthem calling for the needless sacrifice of the brightest and best young men on the altar of imperialism.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Jonathan said:

by subjunctivising subjects.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Well, perhaps. The uncut German anthem is distinctly sinister. But then so is ours when sung in full. I think it's just terribly Victorian - solid, pompous, unimaginative and slow.
    Germany wanted an Empire - and you'd better agree.

We had an Empire - and you'd better agree.

Perhaps there's something in the music along those lines.

• Options
    felix said:

Anazina said:

Russia’s not far behind.

I'm not sure 'Oh Jeremy' would find it easy to join in a heart rendition of Jerusalem.
    Who cares? Corbyn’s views on the topic matter little to me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Blame the orchestration, not Mr Arne.

It probably sounded more like this to him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dmhp7
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828

Just watched TM interviewed and she did her best Maybot. Looked very tired and tetchy

I do not envy her job at all

Edit : Just remembered I am not supposed to critise her - sorry

Well, you've not lost your sense of humour to be fair.

I'm a known critic of the Conservative Party and the Prime Minister but I wouldn't want her health and her sanity to suffer because of the job.

Politics isn't one-dimensional - there were aspects of John McDonnell's speech I liked yesterday and both Starmer and Thornberry did well today. There's even a decent piece with Tom Watson in tonight's Evening Standard and Watson gets a reasonable mention from George Osborne in the Editorial.

I also think Labour's contortions over Brexit aren't much different to those of the Conservatives.
  • Options
    That's a gaffe and a half.

It reminds me of Thatcher's famous late career answer in the House: 'I am not sure what my honourable friend said, but we both hold precisely the same view.'
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Point and laugh at Labour.
This discussion has been closed.