Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s the WH2016 voter segments that said they were backing Hil

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s the WH2016 voter segments that said they were backing Hillary but abstained that the GOP should worry about

We all recall how in much of key state polling at WH2016 that Clinton was overstated thus giving us a very false impression of what was going to happen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Yee har
  • Options
    2nd like Watford... ideally.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Midterms are usually protest votes against the incumbent President and the signs are November will be the biggest protest against the incumbent since 1994
  • Options
    Corbyn I see promising no more military interventions like Libya and Iraq while at the same time opposing the actions of the Myanmar and Israeli governments and promising to end the war in Syria
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn I see promising no more military interventions like Libya and Iraq while at the same time opposing the actions of the Myanmar and Israeli governments and promising to end the war in Syria

He'll get them around the camp fire singing Kumbaya before you know it.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Anazina said:

More lefty wankers doing actions that make them feel all good and fuzzy without caring on the effect it has on others:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45638416

Crisp packets are an utter menace. They destroy the beautiful countryside near where I live. Why doesn't Walkers make them biodegradable?
    I thought you said you lived in London ?
    You do realise that London has a countryside edge? Doesn't Bradford?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He'll get them around the camp fire singing Kumbaya before you know it.
    Yes the Messiah will see it through
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2018
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

More lefty wankers doing actions that make them feel all good and fuzzy without caring on the effect it has on others:

Crisp packets are an utter menace. They destroy the beautiful countryside near where I live. Why doesn't Walkers make them biodegradable?
    I thought London was the urban equivalent of a Klein bottle? [niche]
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    The occupant of the White

An interesting slip, and curiously apt in the case of the current POTUS.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Chortle. To many PBers, London = W1 (and even then only about 0.1 mile from Piccadilly Circus) !!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    HYUFD said:

I don't think he "promised to end the war", and if he did that's unrealistic, but in other respects there's a perfectly respectable view that we should be active in criticising other countries (pace Cyclefree in the last thread, he had a shot at Russia too), without sending our troops there to start killing one side or the other - especially as history shows that we sometimes end up being attacked by the faction we were intervening to help.
  • Options
    I completely forgot about the Corbynator's speech and caught only the last 15 seconds. I noted that his suit jacket was too big for him.

Was the speech any good?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    edited September 2018
    deleted
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn in fresh anti-Semitism row over picture with activist who once asked: 'the Holocaust: yes or no?'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/25/corbyn-fresh-anti-semitism-row-picture-activistwho-asked-holocaust/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited September 2018
    Anazina said:

Anorak said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Chortle. To many PBers, London = W1 (and even then only about 0.1 mile from Piccadilly Circus) !!
    I've lived south of the river, I'll have you know!

(There was a good gag from a stand up comedian , whose name escapes me. In north London, you see all these blue circles, with "ABC famous bloke lived here". In south London, you see all these yellow rectangles, with "MURDER: can you help?"......)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That's a badly written question with too many negatives.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Does anyone have any idea what Labour's negotiating stance would be with the EU?
    As far as I can see that want all the benefits of the EU otherwise they would never agree to any deal that May achieves.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Does anyone have any idea what Labour's negotiating stance would be with the EU?
    As far as I can see that want all the benefits of the EU otherwise they would never agree to any deal that May achieves.

Cake , Cherries and eating comes to mind.
  • Options
    currystar said:

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1044934252327063552
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't think he "promised to end the war", and if he did that's unrealistic, but in other respects there's a perfectly respectable view that we should be active in criticising other countries (pace Cyclefree in the last thread, he had a shot at Russia too), without sending our troops there to start killing one side or the other - especially as history shows that we sometimes end up being attacked by the faction we were intervening to help.
    I was criticising his failure to include Russia (and, indeed, Iran) in the list of countries which harasses journalists.

"Journalists from Turkey to Myanmar and Colombia are being imprisoned, harassed or sometimes killed by authoritarian governments and powerful corporate interests just for doing their job”

To which @FrancisUrquhart and@NorthofStoke replied

“But when Iran did it, I continued to do my gig on Press Tv....

I think that part of his speech must take the 2018 political hypocrisy award!”

And no mention of Russia which hardly treats its journalists with kid gloves.

Doubtless Corbyn will remember these words when British journalists seek to do their job scrutinising the Labour party and the next Labour government.

Was it not one Keir Starmer who sought to imprison journalists under an ancient law and was soundly admonished by the Court of Appeal?

I’d also like to know which corporate interests have killed and imprisoned journalists and in which countries.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

currystar said:

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1044934252327063552
    So Michael Barnier will just crumble when Corbyn turns up? I know politics is politics but what John Mcdonnell hassaid in this interview is just plain silly and a complete lie and he knows it. Does anyone else think otherwise?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    currystar said:

JC will do, and be, whatever you wish. Whatever the Tories can do, new Improved Labour can do better.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Hahaha,The way you talk about London you would think you live in inner london built up areas.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Any winners on Corbyn Speech Bingo?
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Hahaha,The way you talk about London you would think you live in inner london built up areas.
    Citation required.

I live in the Greater London suburbs, work in central London. Like many millions of others.

I think it is your poor grasp of London geography that is letting you down, to be honest.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Citation required.

I live in the Greater London suburbs, work in central London. Like many millions of others.

I think it is your poor grasp of London geography that is letting you down, to be honest.
    No ,you are letting me down.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Any winners on Corbyn Speech Bingo?

Peterloo Massacre?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    John_M said:

currystar said:

JC will do, and be, whatever you wish. Whatever the Tories can do, new Improved Labour can do better.
    Opposition is about what you wouldn’t do. Government is about what you wouldn’t have done, and what you are now doing to fix it. Oppositions never say what they would really do in government, because they can’t predict precisely what damage the current government will do between today and when they, as new incoming government, will have to work out how to fix it.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, comrades.

Was the Supreme Leader's speech excellent, or sublime?
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Citation required.

No ,you are letting me down.
    I'm surprised I ever got your hopes up in the first place.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    I was amazed to read that 47% of Greater London itself is green space (this does not include the vast open spaces like Epping Forest and Windsor Great Park which are mostly just outside the boundary). I knew London was a very green city (and I live a couple of miles from the edge of open countryside) but was surprised to read the ratio was that high.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

In the sense of ‘one surface, no boundary’, or ‘axiomatically up its own arse’?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    I was amazed to read that 47% of Greater London itself is green space (this does not include the vast open spaces like Epping Forest and Windsor Great Park which are mostly just outside the boundary). I knew London was a very green city (and I live a couple of miles from the edge of open countryside) but was surprised to read the ratio was that high.
    About a third of Enfield is open countryside.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

It was pretty good. Not being ironic either.
  • Options
    I've just googled this and found no hits, so I would like to place on record the term:

Labour Leavership

to describe Corbyn and McDonnell.

Thank you.
  • Options

You're a week early - Tories cough-fest is next week.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Polruan said:

Anorak said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

In the sense of ‘one surface, no boundary’, or ‘axiomatically up its own arse’?
    Why quibble?
  • Options
    Polruan said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

Opposition is about what you wouldn’t do. Government is about what you wouldn’t have done, and what you are now doing to fix it. Oppositions never say what they would really do in government, because they can’t predict precisely what damage the current government will do between today and when they, as new incoming government, will have to work out how to fix it.

If Labour really thinks it can negotiate Brexit better than the Tories then they should be able to spell out which of the current government's red lines would no longer be red lines for a Labour government. We know what the EU's red lines are. So which, if any, would be Labour's?

They really should be able to tell us whether or not they want any or all of the following:-

- FoM
    - Membership of the CU
    - Membership of the SM
    - Jurisdiction of the ECJ
    - NI within the CU
    - NI within the SM
    - A customs/regulatory border between NI and the rest of the UK

- and so on.

If in reality they want the same things as the Tories, then however charmingly they behave, they will get the same answer from the EU as Mrs May has.

If Labour cannot now give straight answers to these questions then they are simply talking out of their arse.

The difficulties of the negotiations have little to do with personalities or negotiating styles and everything to do with the substance of what the British government wants and this being unacceptable to the EU given their own red lines.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    There is a very small proportion of Greater London which is actually classified as rural:

https://tinyurl.com/ybbe66ut

@Tykejohnno might be interested to know that Leeds/Bradford is problematic for creating the built-up areas. The algorithms used by Ordnance Survey treat spaces enclosed by built-up areas as part of that built-up area. So Hyde Park gets counted as being in the London built-up area. The bit between Leeds and Bradford is enclosed by the same built-up area which means it too counts as being that built-up area, even though it is a rural area.
  • Options
    If you have a nice green valley with no roads, hypothetically, and you drive a road through it, so it remains 90% green but is it is also 100% buggered. Now apply that rule to southern England let alone London.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    When I was living in London, I heard that the city is the 'greenest' of any 'old' city - i.e. not in the new world.

I've no idea if this is true, but it feels right.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Cyclefree said:

Polruan said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

If Labour really thinks it can negotiate Brexit better than the Tories then they should be able to spell out which of the current government's red lines would no longer be red lines for a Labour government. We know what the EU's red lines are. So which, if any, would be Labour's?

They really should be able to tell us whether or not they want any or all of the following:-

- FoM
    - Membership of the CU
    - Membership of the SM
    - NI within the CU
    - NI within the SM

- and so on.

If in reality they want the same things as the Tories, then however charmingly they behave, they will get the same answer from the EU as Mrs May has.

If Labour cannot now give straight answers to these questions then they are simply talking out of their arse.

The difficulties of the negotiations have little to do with personalities or negotiating styles and everything to do with the substance of what the British government wants and this being unacceptable to the EU given their own red lines.
    tl;dr :smile:

No they don't. They just need to keep opposing and promising owls.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    currystar said:

The big difference is Labour is fine with the customs union. On the single market, more tricky, bit more cakeism. But they have a more room to negotiate because they don't care about trade deals. The issue would be FOM I think.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. I've been away on a jaunt to Lisbon (which was very pleasant), so I missed the excitement of the Labour conference.

I've just been reading Corbyn's speech, which looks a very professionally-written job.

The Brexit positioning is interesting. Since Labour are (not unreasonably) saying that No Deal would be a disaster, how are they going to vote against any deal Theresa May might come back with? Won't they own the disaster if they do so? The implication is that they are preparing the ground to accept any deal, or at least to abstain on it, whilst no doubt saying they could have done better.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Polruan said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

- FoM
    - Membership of the CU
    - Membership of the SM
    - NI within the CU
    - NI within the SM

- and so on.

All they need to do is to oppose everything the government does.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Polruan said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

- FoM
    - Membership of the CU
    - Membership of the SM
    - NI within the CU
    - NI within the SM

- and so on.

tl;dr :smile:

No they don't. They just need to keep opposing and promising owls.
    Indeed. It's not clear to me why this is so hard to grasp. The studied ambiguity suits Labour, so why do anything else for now when they don't need to. In the near-future however @RichardNabavi raises an important question above...
  • Options

Afternoon all. I've been away on a jaunt to Lisbon (which was very pleasant), so I missed the excitement of the Labour conference.

I've just been reading Corbyn's speech, which looks a very professionally-written job.

The Brexit positioning is interesting. Since Labour are (not unreasonably) saying that No Deal would be a disaster, how are they going to vote against any deal Theresa May might come back with? Won't they own the disaster if they do so? The implication is that they are preparing the ground to accept any deal, or at least to abstain on it, whilst no doubt saying they could have done better.

The Commons will both mandate the government to avoid crash Brexit whilst simultaneously rejecting the remaining options which would avoid crash Brexit. So we are going to need something to change as clearly thats not untenable but absurd.
  • Options

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    When I was living in London, I heard that the city is the 'greenest' of any 'old' city - i.e. not in the new world.

I've no idea if this is true, but it feels right.

I couldn't imagine a major old-world city that has more, so it probably is true.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    There is a very small proportion of Greater London which is actually classified as rural:

@Tykejohnno might be interested to know that Leeds/Bradford is problematic for creating the built-up areas. The algorithms used by Ordnance Survey treat spaces enclosed by built-up areas as part of that built-up area. So Hyde Park gets counted as being in the London built-up area. The bit between Leeds and Bradford is enclosed by the same built-up area which means it too counts as being that built-up area, even though it is a rural area.
    That's a very long research document – which part is rural – I would guess somewhere in the far north east, north of Chingford perhaps, that small part of Epping Forest which is in London or maybe in the far south-east towards Box Hill, Kent borders??
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Hope you had a good break.
    I don't see where the pressure will come from to vote for / abstain on the deal. The Tories have ignored everything Labour have said, with the customs union being the obvious one. I'd have thought the pressure would be on the ERG, they are in the party of Government and supposedly support Brexit. I just wonder if there might be some there who blink eventually?
  • Options

Rather an odd story. What is supposed to be offensive about this poster?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45650462
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    I was over there just the other day garden plant shopping! It has a bizarre gardening enclave around Crews Hill which I am sure you are familiar with (a landscaper friend claims its the biggest gardening retail district in Europe??). As you say, much of the area is open countryside. I saw some grouse and pheasant after the shopping trip as we took a walk out along the lanes.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    tpfkar said:

I don't see where the pressure will come from to vote for / abstain on the deal. The Tories have ignored everything Labour have said, with the customs union being the obvious one. I'd have thought the pressure would be on the ERG, they are in the party of Government and supposedly support Brexit. I just wonder if there might be some there who blink eventually?
    Of course the pressure will be on the ERG. However, the big picture would be that Labour, the LibDems and the SNP colluded with the headbangers to kill off the deal (which will no doubt look wonderful if we can't have it, human nature being what it is). If the result is chaos, then those who voted for the chaos will own the chaos. This looks incredibly dangerous for Labour, which is why I don't think they'll do it. Of course it's also incredibly dangerous for the country, but that won't be a consideration.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    I was over there just the other day garden plant shopping! It has a bizarre gardening enclave around Crews Hill which I am sure you are familiar with (a landscaper friend claims its the biggest gardening retail district in Europe??). As you say, much of the area is open countryside. I saw some grouse and pheasant after the shopping trip as we took a walk out along the lanes.
    Crews Hill was developed that way by Italian POW's who were market gardeners, and who stayed on after WWII.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

That's a very long research document – which part is rural – I would guess somewhere in the far north east, north of Chingford perhaps, that small part of Epping Forest which is in London or maybe in the far south-east towards Box Hill, Kent borders??
    The latter, I think.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

currystar said:

The big difference is Labour is fine with the customs union. On the single market, more tricky, bit more cakeism. But they have a more room to negotiate because they don't care about trade deals. The issue would be FOM I think.
    As there won't be any trade deals that won't pose a problem. I know that Liam Fox says we will get much better trade deals than the one we have as part of the EU but as anyone with a brain can see you don't give preferential terms to the smaller party (us) than you do the bigger party (the EU).

FOM is the big Labour issue. A LOT of Labour voters genuinely fed up with foreign workers reducing wages. Or in some cases just fed up with foreigners. That even the crash Brexit people say there won't be any significant change in migration must really hack them off. How any politician in any party squares off expectations with practical reality is beyond me.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

The Commons will both mandate the government to avoid crash Brexit whilst simultaneously rejecting the remaining options which would avoid crash Brexit. So we are going to need something to change as clearly thats not untenable but absurd.
    I expect they will go for a CU in the end, as someone said upthread, someone will blink. The CU could be positioned as temporary/transitionary and the can kicked heartily down the road.
  • Options
    Mr. F, some people just like controlling what others can and cannot say, and, rather than using some sort of argument, prefer to just claim they felt offence. Because feelings mean you don't need the power of reason, apparently.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Anazina said:
    And isn’t the company responsible for today’s rail delays actually publicly owned? :D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

The latter, I think.
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2018
    Anazina said:

I expect they will go for a CU in the end, as someone said upthread, someone will blink.
    I don't see why the EU - whose principal objective seems to be to prevent the UK from having the full benefits of membership without its full obligations - would accept that.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Polruan said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

- FoM
    - Membership of the CU
    - Membership of the SM
    - NI within the CU
    - NI within the SM

- and so on.

What would the benefit be for the Labour Party (or indeed the country) if they did this? I’m struggling to see any.
  • Options

Mr. F, some people just like controlling what others can and cannot say, and, rather than using some sort of argument, prefer to just claim they felt offence. Because feelings mean you don't need the power of reason, apparently.

I’m offended by this comment. Where are the moderators when you need them??
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    Crews Hill was developed that way by Italian POW's who were market gardeners, and who stayed on after WWII.
    Fascinating history – that I did not know. Many thanks.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Rather an odd story. What is supposed to be offensive about this poster?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45650462

To understand that, ask yourself why someone would pay to have it erected
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

The latter, I think.
    Botany Bay is separated from both Enfield Town and Potters Bar by farmland, so would probably count as rural.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Cyclefree said:

Polruan said:

John_M said:

currystar said:

- FoM
    - Membership of the CU
    - Membership of the SM
    - NI within the CU
    - NI within the SM

- and so on.

What would the benefit be for the Labour Party (or indeed the country) if they did this? I’m struggling to see any.
    They wouldn't look like a bunch of dishonest shits?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

tpfkar said:

Of course the pressure will be on the ERG. However, the big picture would be that Labour, the LibDems and the SNP colluded with the headbangers to kill off the deal (which will no doubt look wonderful if we can't have it, human nature being what it is). If the result is chaos, then those who voted for the chaos will own the chaos. This looks incredibly dangerous for Labour, which is why I don't think they'll do it. Of course it's also incredibly dangerous for the country, but that won't be a consideration.
    If Labour do abstain, and I can see your logic, then May basically needs about 2/3 of the Tory party to get a deal through. Really can't see that being a problem in light of the alternative.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    Just down the road from me, you should have stopped by for a pint.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    Almost certainly not grouse! (Partridge?)
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I grew up in one of the SW London boroughs (Kingston if you want to know). I can assure you that because of the Green Belt it goes straight from very built up to countryside.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

The latter, I think.
    Botany Bay is separated from both Enfield Town and Potters Bar by farmland, so would probably count as rural.
    And quite a few oceans. Is it not about 10,500 miles away?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

The latter, I think.
    I don't know whether it is named after the Australian bay, or whether the bay is named after the village.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

The latter, I think.
    I don't know whether it is named after the Australian bay, or whether the bay is named after the village.
    I would have thought Botany Bay along the Enfield Ridgeway had been around for longer than we discovered Australia
  • Options
    WRT rural London, I think most of the Wrotham Park estate, which is 2,500 acres, falls within the borough of Barnet. It was purchased by Admiral Byng, who was shot, and still owned by his descendants.
  • Options
    My read of the Labour Brexit position:

1. Many Labour voters are Leave voters. "We will back a Brexit deal" is a clear message.
    2. Most Labour members are Remain voters. "We won't let May crash us out or deliver a right wing wet dream deal" keeps them on board - he has to respect the majority view of the membership
    3. Labour will back a move to ban the government accepting crash Brexit. I expect the meaningful vote that MPs get will do this
    4. Labour will also reject whatever fudged version of Brexit May tries to cobble together - something that pro-Brexit voters also support

The calculation is that in both Blocking crash Brexit AND blocking a bullshit Brexit we can retain enough credit with both sides whilst bringing the government to a grinding halt. At which point either a fresh election or a referendum become necessary to make progress.
  • Options
    I think the bigger story here might be - felt by whom???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45655149
  • Options

1. Many Labour voters are Leave voters. "We will back a Brexit deal" is a clear message.
    2. Most Labour members are Remain voters. "We won't let May crash us out or deliver a right wing wet dream deal" keeps them on board - he has to respect the majority view of the membership
    3. Labour will back a move to ban the government accepting crash Brexit. I expect the meaningful vote that MPs get will do this
    4. Labour will also reject whatever fudged version of Brexit May tries to cobble together - something that pro-Brexit voters also support

The calculation is that in both Blocking crash Brexit AND blocking a bullshit Brexit we can retain enough credit with both sides whilst bringing the government to a grinding halt. At which point either a fresh election or a referendum become necessary to make progress.

The flaw in that is 3. It's like voting to ban the incoming tide.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

WRT rural London, I think most of the Wrotham Park estate, which is 2,500 acres, falls within the borough of Barnet. It was purchased by Admiral Byng, who was shot, and still owned by his descendants.

I think the 'Welcome to Hertfordshire' sign is before Wrotham Park. To be fair, I only drive past it twice a day. I will double check on the way home from work.
  • Options

I think the bigger story here might be - felt by whom???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45655149

I knew I felt something when ICM dropped their bombshell poll before the last election.

.... ah, my coat.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    The discussion about Labour abstaining on critical votes is going to gather steam. JC has always wanted to leave the EU, and could do so without having to take any responsibility for it if it takes care; firstly when there is a binary vote Labour would propose an amendment which it is sure to lose, giving it cover for abstaining on the main vote, eg a vote between a Brexit WA they don't like and a no deal Brexit. As it is the opposition the fact it has no coherent policy does not matter. Sadly the government doesn't either but that's another story.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited September 2018

Is it really possible to block a crash Brexit? I thought that as A50 is still running it will take us out automatically on 29th March.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    Maybe, I am no expert as you have already gathered :)

They were brown and hopped around a lot. The pheasant obviously are distinctive even to a layman.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    We ended up walking to a pub about three miles away called the Goff's Oak. It was surprisingly fancy for a rural area but the beer was good and the food was excellent – a pleasant surprise!
  • Options

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether there is still a meaningful vote if there is never any meaningful agreed deal to vote on?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

I grew up in one of the SW London boroughs (Kingston if you want to know). I can assure you that because of the Green Belt it goes straight from very built up to countryside.
    Indeed. Same around my way.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    PeterC said:

Is it really possible to block a crash Brexit? I thought that as A50 is still running it will take us out automatically on 29th March.
    The way to block Crash Brexit is via A50 extension. That might well bring down the May government, but I suspect that that result wouldn't keep Jezza awake all night.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    Maybe, I am no expert as you have already gathered :)

They were brown and hopped around a lot. The pheasant obviously are distinctive even to a layman.
    They could perhaps have been female pheasants? They basically wear light brown camo...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think the 'Welcome to Hertfordshire' sign is before Wrotham Park. To be fair, I only drive past it twice a day. I will double check on the way home from work.
    On checking, you're correct. It does fall the other side of the boundary. When I was a child, you could have argued that Mill Hill and Arkley were rural, as they still had working farms, but, now they're much more built up, and the farms have gone.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

It forces the government to go back to the negotiating table. I take Richard's point about the tide, but it would at least compel the government to do something more than sit sulkily in London shouting obscenities about foreigners. Which is what the Tory party will do otherwise having utterly screwed this up.

BTW Labour will not abstain. There would be an uprising against Corbyn and not just from the MPs. Members are very clear in their views on this one...
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sean_F said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:
    We ended up walking to a pub about three miles away called the Goff's Oak. It was surprisingly fancy for a rural area but the beer was good and the food was excellent – a pleasant surprise!
    Goffs Oak and Cuffley are pretty wealthy areas. Footballers and Tesco board members abound.
  • Options

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether there is still a meaningful vote if there is never any meaningful agreed deal to vote on?
    Presumably it would be a meaningless meaningful vote confirming we don't want to accept something which hasn't been offered,
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

Anazina said:

tlg86 said:

The latter, I think.
    I would have thought Botany Bay along the Enfield Ridgeway had been around for longer than we discovered Australia
    Yes, but places get renamed, e.g. Enham Alamein in Hampshire. The Australian place was so named because Cook's first visit there found lots and lots of previously unknown plant species.
This discussion has been closed.