Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives must join and win the battle of ideas

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited September 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives must join and win the battle of ideas

In full, the United States’ Declaration of Independence is not a very good document. It bears the classic mark of the composite motion, being too long overall and unbalanced in its structure: very nearly half of it is a list of twenty-seven grievances. Fortunately, for history and for the revolutionaries, it was drafted by someone who knew not only how to turn a phrase but where to place it. There may have been more than a smidgen of dishonesty in Jefferson’s assertion (abridged here) that “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, with the unalienable rights of life and liberty; that governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed; and that it is the Right of the People to abolish unjust forms of government”, but that’s not the point. The point is that he defined what the war was about in words that were inspiring, simple and righteous, and did so at the outset of the document, before people lost interest amid the detail. It is the masterpiece in political framing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Oh god, not another bus.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Any supposedly self evident truths still need to be reasserted, as people will forget and the people who believe in them will also get complacent and lazy.

I don't see that the Tories are up to it - with Brexit and a decade in office, assuming they make it that far, I would expect them to be tired and lacking the will for new ideas even if they can come up with some, and instead will probably throw out a few voter bribes to key demos in the manifesto and hope negative campaigning against the opposition does the rest, the tried and tested way.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Douglas!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sexual assault is common enough that most women have experienced it, often more than once. It is part of the lived female experience. It is also why the default position for most women is to sympathise with and believe another woman who says she has undergone it.

Basically we have all been there...

I can't find an obvious piece of research, but I'm sure I've read on here that female jurors are more likely to acquit in rape cases than male jurors.

EDIT: It would interesting to know if this is any different to other cases.
    Just because we sympathise with other women does not mean we turn our brains off. If a man is innocent or a women making the charge is completely uncredible then acquittal would be the correct verdict
    Yes, I'm sure that's right, and I know women who are actually more dismissive of "frivolous complaints" than most men would feel comfortable in saying.

But it's difficult in a "not proven" situation like Kavanaugh, isn't it? Clearly one person's unsupported testimony would be remotely enough to convict him. But is it enough to mean that he shouldn't be a SC judge? I genuinely am not sure, but on balance I think it's not enough. As a Senator I'd vote no because the role is semi-political and he doesn't seem to be sufficiently apolitical to act as a balanced moderate. But I'm uneasy about the way the allegations are being used as a decisive argument.
    Well of course the Americans seem to want their judges to be hugely political, but on balance I'd agree with you about the seeming decisiveness on all this. I recognise hemming and hawing is a cop out, but it is hard.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Oh god, not another bus.

You wait for one for ages, then...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    JICIPM

LAB: 40% (-1)
    CON: 39% (-2)
    LDEM: 9% (+2)
    UKIP: 5% (+2)
    GRN: 2% (-1)

via @ComRes, 26 - 27 Sep
    Chgs. w/ 19 May
  • Options
    Oh dear Jacob Rees-Mogg says most people in the uk will be able to offset any adverse negative brexit effects with their savings, shares, bonds, inheritance and work expenses.

Man of the people (not)
  • Options

FPT

Chris Leslie strikes me as someone more of the calibre of Simon Danczuk rather than the members of the SDP, unless people have billed them as much bigger than they were.

Also I believe people should get to vote for what they really want, so if there really are thousands in Chris Leslie's constituency who are voting for him specifically they deserve the chance to vote for him again. I'll believe it when I see it though.

With a few notable exceptions (maybe Frank Field), all Labour MPs would lose if they stood against their party on a point of principle. That's not the point.

The point is that Labour needs to win under FPTP by being attractive to just enough voters to win seats. If you have a bunch of independent Labour MPs around the country each taking 5-20% of the vote with them... Bang! There goes your majority.

Much better to realise that the people you're calling Tories are Labour too, just a different strand, and the fact they might think differently is a strength. They can reach people that Labour needs that Corbyn can't.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,361
    edited September 2018
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Sexual assault is common enough that most women have experienced it, often more than once. It is part of the lived female experience. It is also why the default position for most women is to sympathise with and believe another woman who says she has undergone it.

Basically we have all been there...

I can't find an obvious piece of research, but I'm sure I've read on here that female jurors are more likely to acquit in rape cases than male jurors.

EDIT: It would interesting to know if this is any different to other cases.
    Just because we sympathise with other women does not mean we turn our brains off. If a man is innocent or a women making the charge is completely uncredible then acquittal would be the correct verdict
    Yes, I'm sure that's right, and I know women who are actually more dismissive of "frivolous complaints" than most men would feel comfortable in saying.

But it's difficult in a "not proven" situation like Kavanaugh, isn't it? Clearly one person's unsupported testimony would be remotely enough to convict him. But is it enough to mean that he shouldn't be a SC judge? I genuinely am not sure, but on balance I think it's not enough. As a Senator I'd vote no because the role is semi-political and he doesn't seem to be sufficiently apolitical to act as a balanced moderate. But I'm uneasy about the way the allegations are being used as a decisive argument.
    Well of course the Americans seem to want their judges to be hugely political, but on balance I'd agree with you about the seeming decisiveness on all this. I recognise hemming and hawing is a cop out, but it is hard.
    There is a very good article by an American conservative on where the burden of proof ought to lie when considering a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court here:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/kavanaugh-confirmation/571021/

My own view is that if this guy had been applying for a teaching post, there is no way you would or could have appointed him without further investigation. Why the bar should be set lower for an SC Justices, whose decisions will affect (for example) the abortion rights across every US state, is beyond me.

(Note, in the article I cited, the author knows and likes Kavanaugh, and predicted the deleterious consequences for him, and the Court, if his nomination wasn’t withdrawn.)
  • Options

Oh dear Jacob Rees-Mogg says most people in the uk will be able to offset any adverse negative brexit effects with their savings, shares, bonds, inheritance and work expenses.

Man of the people (not)

Link? If you're genuinely right about him saying that, it should be enough to finish him off for good.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited September 2018
    This all sounds interesting in theory but in reality I am not so sure.

The Tories have only won a 4th consecutive term, which they will need to repeat to keep Corbyn out, once in the last 100 years in 1992.

At that election the dull grey administrator John Major's biggest ideas were the "the Citizens Charter' and the council tax which had replaced Thatcher's poll tax, Labour on the other hand was led by Neil Kinnock who like Corbyn ran a firebrand populist campaign promising more spending on the NHS etc funded by higher taxes on the rich.

In the end Major's Tories largely won that election because of a ruthlessly effective negative campaign hammering Kinnock and John Smith over 'Labour's tax bombshell' not because of many great inspiring new ideas in the Tories manifesto.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited September 2018
    Jonathan said:

FPT

Chris Leslie strikes me as someone more of the calibre of Simon Danczuk rather than the members of the SDP, unless people have billed them as much bigger than they were.

Also I believe people should get to vote for what they really want, so if there really are thousands in Chris Leslie's constituency who are voting for him specifically they deserve the chance to vote for him again. I'll believe it when I see it though.

With a few notable exceptions (maybe Frank Field), all Labour MPs would lose if they stood against their party on a point of principle. That's not the point.

The point is that Labour needs to win under FPTP by being attractive to just enough voters to win seats. If you have a bunch of independent Labour MPs around the country each taking 5-20% of the vote with them... Bang! There goes your majority.

Much better to realise that the people you're calling Tories are Labour too, just a different strand, and the fact they might think differently is a strength. They can reach people that Labour needs that Corbyn can't.
    As I said on another thread I was saying he would actively prefer a Tory government as I believe he would prefer a Tory government like Woodcock actively stated he would when he could talk more freely.

Chris Leslie is not a strength, he is not a difference of opinion or someone adding to the mixture, he is someone who actively does not want the party to succeed with the leader its members want it to have.

Edit: Good article David.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Thank you David - I trust your son's health has improved.

This is the critical point:

Those people need to be able to buy their own house and put down roots; they need to know that their investment in education is worth-while; they need to believe that the thrifty will not be disadvantaged in their old age as against the reckless.

The problem with housing is that the powers that be pander to those on the housing ladder at the expense of those seeking to get on it. That's how we end up with Help to Buy.

Again, the higher education system is storing up serious problems for the future. For many, it isn't really an investment as they won't be paying off their debt. What might happen is that those who have been subject to £9,000 per year tuition fees might tell their own children not to bother with university - but that is some way off.

And as for elderly care, the system does punish those who have bought their own home. What the Tories were proposing in 2017 seemed quite sensible. Sadly, what did for it was that people don't actually understand how the current system works. Perhaps some media types need to experience it before it starts to get the attention it deserves.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I also see Sir John Major has joined Tory MPs like Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston, Guto Bebb and now Heidi Allen in backing a 'People's Vote' and a second EU referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45690002?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cwlw3xz0lvvt/brexit&link_location=live-reporting-story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45690898
  • Options

Man of the people (not)

Link? If you're genuinely right about him saying that, it should be enough to finish him off for good.
    Actually I think its Bollox being spread on Twitter

like this as one of many

@BurnBanksy
    12h12 hours ago
    More
    Jacob Rees-Mogg says most people in the uk will be able to offset any adverse negative brexit effects with their savings, shares, bonds, inheritance and work expenses.

I cant find a link to a JRM statement so i apologise
  • Options

Man of the people (not)

Actually I think its Bollox being spread on Twitter

like this as one of many

@BurnBanksy
    12h12 hours ago
    More
    Jacob Rees-Mogg says most people in the uk will be able to offset any adverse negative brexit effects with their savings, shares, bonds, inheritance and work expenses.

I cant find a link to a JRM statement so i apologise
    Yes, I didn't think he was that stupid.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Oh god, not another bus.

My apologies. When I was setting up David's post for publication I could not think of another suitable pic. The bus demonstrates precisely the opposite of what David wants - a campaign based on a single person
  • Options
    I think Bjorn should pair Tommy with Rory

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PQ4fRQ5Kc
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    HYUFD said:

I also see Sir John Major has joined Tory MPs like Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston, Guto Bebb and now Heidi Allen in backing a 'People's Vote' and a second EU referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45690002?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cwlw3xz0lvvt/brexit&link_location=live-reporting-story

The other people in that list only confirm what a totally fringe option a second referendum is for Conservatives. Those with something between their ears realise it would blow the party to smithereens.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Jonathan said:

FPT

As I said on another thread I was saying he would actively prefer a Tory government as I believe he would prefer a Tory government like Woodcock actively stated he would when he could talk more freely.

Chris Leslie is not a strength, he is not a difference of opinion or someone adding to the mixture, he is someone who actively does not want the party to succeed with the leader its members want it to have.
    We will have to agree to disagree. Corbyn has limited reach. The reason the 2/3 of the membership that backed him, love him so much is that he is still talking to them and not talking to the electorate.

The 1/3 of the membership that did not back Corbyn are the secret to turning another defeat into a victory. If you push them away so they are sitting on their hands or, your preference, actively campaigning against you - you will not prosper.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Oh god, not another bus.

You wait ages for an article about how the Conservatives should respond to Labour, and then two come along at once. I couldn't agree more with David's piece.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Labour are evangelising because they have an evangelist with a (barmy!) vision in charge

The Conservatives are doing nothing because Brexit and Who Is The Next Leader is consuming all their attention, the country being forgotten in the midst of their obsessions.

And that is where we are. Labour has a clear field to get its "New Communism" message out to the oppressed proletariat....
  • Options
    ' They need to reconnect with people – particularly the 25-49 age group – whose aspiration and ambition to get on in live is being blocked by structures that the government has the power to reform. Those people need to be able to buy their own house and put down roots; they need to know that their investment in education is worth-while; they need to believe that the thrifty will not be disadvantaged in their old age as against the reckless. '

In short the Conservatives forgot about aspiration and became the party of privilege campaigning with repeated Project Fears.

At least we're getting more houses built now.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    It’s a great article, but it has one weakness. It still frames the future by looking back. We’re still talking about Thatcher decades on. Cameron weirdly was a dead end, not worth a mention in the piece.

I think you overlook the contribution of May.

May is not an administrator. May is arguably a key architect of the modern socially liberal Tory party, her nasty party speech predates Cameron. It was people like her and Portillo who did the hard work when the Tories were still looking to Thatcher. Sometimes we forget that. She suffers now because Brexit puts her in a straightjacket.

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FPT

We will have to agree to disagree. Corbyn has limited reach. The reason the 2/3 of the membership that backed him, love him so much is that he is still talking to them and not talking to the electorate.

The 1/3 of the membership that did not back Corbyn are the secret to turning another defeat into a victory. If you push them away so they are sitting on their hands or, your preference, actively campaigning against you - you will not prosper.
    It isn't the membership that is being deselected. It is MPs that are actively creating bad press for the party and making it harder to get the party elected.

Put it another way then, I don't mind as much having the Corbyn types remaining as MPs opposing Labour to some degree, it is the George Galloway types after Iraq. From the opposite ideological angle but does that make more sense now?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    And, in what I suspect will become a weary PB tradition, whenever somebody brings up the Policy Exchange, I must in turn bring up the point that their stance is to deliberately devalue the pound by a further 30%[1].

[1] "A more serious problem is how to engineer a sterling depreciation by as much as
    about 30% from its present level of about $1.35 to the pound", see https://policyexchange.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Brexit-and-the-British-Growth-Model.pdf , page 83.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FPT

It isn't the membership that is being deselected. It is MPs that are actively creating bad press for the party and making it harder to get the party elected.

Put it another way then, I don't mind as much having the Corbyn types remaining as MPs opposing Labour to some degree, it is the George Galloway types after Iraq. From the opposite ideological angle but does that make more sense now?
    So you oppose the return of Derek Hatton and would oppose the return of Galloway?
  • Options
    Excellent article as usual Mr Herdson. It’s not as though the Tories don’t have some ideas - it’s partly the fault of presentation - which is May’s responsibility. Mrs May appears to believe “You make a big speech, and that’s it”.

No! No! A thousand times no!

The message needs careful and thorough preparation (“rolling the pitch”), then presentation (the big speech), then repeated reinforcement. “Say what you’re going to say. Say it. Then say what you’ve said.” New Labour were particularly good at this - and despite their opponents repeated complaints about “re-announcenent” “nothing new” and “no new money” they were absolutely right. The public are not paying attention - only when you’ve got the anoraks running screaming from the room have you done your job.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

The other people in that list only confirm what a totally fringe option a second referendum is for Conservatives. Those with something between their ears realise it would blow the party to smithereens.
    In the event of No Deal Amber Rudd has also said she would vote for a second EU referendum, around 40 Tory MPs would do so and add the LDs, the SNP, Plaid, Lucas, Hermon and Labour (if they cannot get another general election) and you have a majority of the House of Commons for a second EU referendum if No Deal.

Polls show Remain would win by at least 10% if No Deal, No Deal is not sustainable for the country or a Tory Party that wants to stay in government
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

She says one option on the ballot should be "remain on current terms". She doesn't seem to realise that that is no longer possible in reality. Even if the rest of the EU would accept that in technical terms, our relation with the rest would be forever altered.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

In the event of No Deal Amber Rudd has also said she would vote for a second EU referendum, around 40 Tory MPs would do so and add the LDs, the SNP, Plaid, Lucas, Hermon and Labour (if they cannot get another general election) and you have a majority of the House of Commons for a second EU referendum if No Deal
    They can’t vote for something the government does not propose.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

And, in what I suspect will become a weary PB tradition, whenever somebody brings up the Policy Exchange, I must in turn bring up the point that their stance is to deliberately devalue the pound by a further 30%[1].

[1] "A more serious problem is how to engineer a sterling depreciation by as much as
    about 30% from its present level of about $1.35 to the pound", see https://policyexchange.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Brexit-and-the-British-Growth-Model.pdf , page 83.
    A country which continually lives beyond its means has a choice:

1) Start living within its means

2) A lower value for its currency

3) Flog its assets to foreigners to 'pay' for its current overspending

Your choice.

Note that if you flog too many of your own assets then you reach the stage when you need to run a big balance of trade surplus just to have a zero current account deficit. The UK seems to have reached that stage.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

In the event of No Deal Amber Rudd has also said she would vote for a second EU referendum, around 40 Tory MPs would do so and add the LDs, the SNP, Plaid, Lucas, Hermon and Labour (if they cannot get another general election) and you have a majority of the House of Commons for a second EU referendum if No Deal
    It will be proposed by the opposition, backbenchers and of course the likes of Soubry and Grieve will sabotage the government's agenda voting with the opposition if necessary and filibustering every government bill in order to paralyse the government if No Deal is in prospect with no second EU referendum. They may even vote with Labour to force a general election if No Deal is not put to the voters
  • Options
    alex. said:

She says one option on the ballot should be "remain on current terms". She doesn't seem to realise that that is no longer possible in reality. Even if the rest of the EU would accept that in technical terms, our relation with the rest would be forever altered.

Indeed - our politicians have revealed what a bunch of 3rd rate amateurs they really are
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2018
    Jonathan said:

So you oppose the return of Derek Hatton and would oppose the return of Galloway?

You argue against deselections.

If you are against deselections, why then oppose the return of people who were -- effectively -- deselected ?

It seems for you if the Right de-select someone (as in fact happened in Nottingham East with Sharon Atkin) that is good, but if the Left de-select someone (as may be happening thirty years later in the same constituency) that is bad.

There is no underlying logic to your position.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Your choice.

Note that if you flog too many of your own assets then you reach the stage when you need to run a big balance of trade surplus just to have a zero current account deficit. The UK seems to have reached that stage.
    I would prefer option 1. If there is a party I can vote for that will pursue that, please make it known to me... :(
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited September 2018

Labour are evangelising because they have an evangelist with a (barmy!) vision in charge

The Conservatives are doing nothing because Brexit and Who Is The Next Leader is consuming all their attention, the country being forgotten in the midst of their obsessions.

And that is where we are. Labour has a clear field to get its "New Communism" message out to the oppressed proletariat....

The Labour Party had (has) a stand in the market square today. Half watching while drinking coffee, I wasn’t immediately convinced that the message is wholly working in this seat.
  • Options
    matt said:

The Labour Party had (has) a stand in the market square today. Half watching while drinking coffee, I wasn’t immediately convinced that the message is wholly working in this seat.
    You are probably correct, most people have no time for politics in their daily lives, but Labour is the only game in town at the moment. The LibDems are missing in action and the Tories are too busy sharpening their daggers.

So, it is Labour or the fringe, fruitcake parties...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

In the event of No Deal Amber Rudd has also said she would vote for a second EU referendum, around 40 Tory MPs would do so and add the LDs, the SNP, Plaid, Lucas, Hermon and Labour (if they cannot get another general election) and you have a majority of the House of Commons for a second EU referendum if No Deal.

Polls show Remain would win by at least 10% if No Deal, No Deal is not sustainable for the country or a Tory Party that wants to stay in government
    Well you shouldn’t have backed May then - she is the one that will deliver no deal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

It will be proposed by the opposition, backbenchers and of course the likes of Soubry and Grieve will sabotage the government's agenda voting with the opposition if necessary and filibustering every government bill in order to paralyse the government if No Deal is in prospect with no second EU referendum. They may even vote with Labour to force a general election if No Deal is not put to the voters
    May would almost certainly be toppled if she was prepared to go for No Deal and replaced by Javid, Hunt or Davis by coronation if she pushed Chequers to the brink of No Deal anyway so we would have a new PM directing the government
  • Options

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Well you shouldn’t have backed May then - she is the one that will deliver no deal.
    May would be no confidenced and ousted well before she got to No Deal
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

You are probably correct, most people have no time for politics in their daily lives, but Labour is the only game in town at the moment. The LibDems are missing in action and the Tories are too busy sharpening their daggers.

An election could be 3.5 years away. Permanent readiness is wearing. There’s enough time for both the LDs and the Conservatives to reinvent themselves (although if one is writing the same a year from now it’s a harder argument).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    edited September 2018
    RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

The New Bastards don’t care.

Part of me really does feel for Theresa May. You do see how badly she really needed that majority. Enough to isolate 20 of the New Bastards on the wet EUphile Left and about 40 of the Old Bastards on the no-deal ultra-hard Brexit right.

As it stands her parliamentary arithmetic is built on sand. My view now is that the EU will play for time, May won’t compromise (she never does once she’s made up her mind, and she has on Chequers) and the EU will hope the imminent prospect of no deal in January will force the clause in the EU Withdrawal Act for parliament to direct the negotiations and call for a second referendum and a choice to Remain.

I think that’s reckless, foolish and wrong but that will be how the EU think because it always concludes the most europhile course of any course of action regardless of the facts and only listens to those with which it already agrees.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

So the Conservative rebels will vote down the Keep Planes Flying Bill, the Keep Trucks Trucking Bill, and the Keep Nuclear Power Stations Open Bill..?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

But such a vote would not oblige the Government to table the necessary Legislation!
  • Options

Excellent article as usual Mr Herdson. It’s not as though the Tories don’t have some ideas - it’s partly the fault of presentation - which is May’s responsibility. Mrs May appears to believe “You make a big speech, and that’s it”.

I think I need to point this out. Arguably the Conservatives no longer have ideas, or now have contradictory ones. The Hayekian principles that @david_herdson believes underpins Conservative thought were only ever held when they were electorally popular. As @HYUFD points out, the Conservative party ultimately stands for the monarchy, the union and (I would add) the interests of the propertied. It's tribal, not based on first principles nor ideas.

As @another_richard points out above by referring to the Policy Exchange document, the future may be coercive and anti-choice: you don't engineer a huge currency devaluation without market interference and casualties. Much of the mood music over the past ten years has been anti-choice, anti-business ("fuck business": Boris Johnson).

So although I agree with your article in the sense that it is what you should be doing, I don't agree that it is what you will be doing, or if you do, I think you will lose, because the principles are not gutfelt and are contradicted by other impulses.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    edited September 2018
    alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

If it does happen I’d advocate scorched earth: being as disruptive and non-collegiate a member as possible inside the EU in revenge for the EU’s total non-collaboration over constructively creating a more sustainable long term relationship with the UK, which would have been in both our interests.

No-one brings the UK to heel. No-one.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Tory MPs who behaved like that would not be readopted at the subsequent General Election.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

So the Conservative rebels will vote down the Keep Planes Flying Bill, the Keep Trucks Trucking Bill, and the Keep Nuclear Power Stations Open Bill..?
    Does it require legislation to withdraw our Article 50 notice?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly. That is why the saner politicians are beginning to agitate for the only realistic options.

Personally I have come round to the idea of No-Deal, partly for the sheer entertainment value it will provide, but mostly because I hope No-Deal will terminate the careers of the swivel-eyed brigade. British politics needs cleansing. Is political-cleansing an acceptable thing? I could ask JC I suppose :D
  • Options
    matt said:

matt said:

An election could be 3.5 years away. Permanent readiness is wearing. There’s enough time for both the LDs and the Conservatives to reinvent themselves (although if one is writing the same a year from now it’s a harder argument).
    Early 2019 will change the game. How, I cannot say, but I cannot believe things will remain the same.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You argue against deselections.

If you are against deselections, why then oppose the return of people who were -- effectively -- deselected ?

It seems for you if the Right de-select someone (as in fact happened in Nottingham East with Sharon Atkin) that is good, but if the Left de-select someone (as may be happening thirty years later in the same constituency) that is bad.

There is no underlying logic to your position.
    I asked a question.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Oh god, not another bus.

My apologies. When I was setting up David's post for publication I could not think of another suitable pic. The bus demonstrates precisely the opposite of what David wants - a campaign based on a single person
    It's a good choice, illustrating a lot of what was wrong about GE 2017.
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

If it does happen I’d advocate scorched earth: being as disruptive and non-collegiate a member as possible inside the EU in revenge for the EU’s total non-collaboration over constructively creating a more sustainable long term relationship with the UK, which would have been in both our interests.

Pause.

So I'll put you down as a "no", then shall I...

:)
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

'If it does happen I’d advocate scorched earth: being as disruptive and non-collegiate a member as possible inside the EU in revenge for the EU’s total non-collaboration over constructively creating a more sustainable long term relationship with the UK, which would have been in both our interests.’

As per Nigel Farage and his lot in the Parliament and, it seems, the Government’s behaviour ever since 2015.
  • Options
    AHem.

FPT: F1 pre-qualifying ramble here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2018/09/russia-pre-qualifying-2018.html

Backed Bottas to 'win' qualifying at 5.5 (5.75 with boost) each way. Pays out if top 2.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Pause.

Nobody puts the Leaver babies in the corner.
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

'If it does happen I’d advocate scorched earth: being as disruptive and non-collegiate a member as possible inside the EU in revenge for the EU’s total non-collaboration over constructively creating a more sustainable long term relationship with the UK, which would have been in both our interests.’

As per Nigel Farage and his lot in the Parliament and, it seems, the Government’s behaviour ever since 2015.
    If Brexit is stopped before it is ever implemented we are heading for a very dark place.

Make no mistake.
  • Options

matt said:

matt said:

Early 2019 will change the game. How, I cannot say, but I cannot believe things will remain the same.
    Agree. Especially if April and May are chaotic.
  • Options

viewcode said:

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Pause.

Nobody puts the Leaver babies in the corner.
    :):):)
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

If Brexit is stopped before it is ever implemented we are heading for a very dark place.

Make no mistake.
    Inclined to agree, but a No Deal or chaotic Brexit will be the same.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

They would be redundant without EU agreement first anyway
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.
    I love the way Leavers threaten violence if their toys are taken away. I have not Remainers going on riots because they lost.

It says a lot really...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

But such a vote would not oblige the Government to table the necessary Legislation!
    It would if it would lose a no confidence vote without it as it may well do in such a scenario
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Tory MPs who behaved like that would not be readopted at the subsequent General Election.
    Depends if there was a referendum Reman won v No Deal in which case they would say were right
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Probably, unless the Act which gave the government the ability to declare the notice also gave it the power to withdraw it, which would seem an odd inclusion for what was, IIRC, a very small Act.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I think I need to point this out. Arguably the Conservatives no longer have ideas, or now have contradictory ones. The Hayekian principles that @david_herdson believes underpins Conservative thought were only ever held when they were electorally popular. As @HYUFD points out, the Conservative party ultimately stands for the monarchy, the union and (I would add) the interests of the propertied. It's tribal, not based on first principles nor ideas.

As @another_richard points out above by referring to the Policy Exchange document, the future may be coercive and anti-choice: you don't engineer a huge currency devaluation without market interference and casualties. Much of the mood music over the past ten years has been anti-choice, anti-business ("fuck business": Boris Johnson).

So although I agree with your article in the sense that it is what you should be doing, I don't agree that it is what you will be doing, or if you do, I think you will lose, because the principles are not gutfelt and are contradicted by other impulses.

Indeed it is classical liberals who are Hayekian not Tories
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2018
    If Ryder Cup carries on like this, there will be no Nyetimber for Christmas Lunch at Chez Urquhart...
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

The New Bastards don’t care.

Part of me really does feel for Theresa May. You do see how badly she really needed that majority. Enough to isolate 20 of the New Bastards on the wet EUphile Left and about 40 of the Old Bastards on the no-deal ultra-hard Brexit right.

Yes, any hope of a reasonably cohesive Brexit probably did require a reasonable majority, and it is understandable that the temptation became too great for her to resist.
  • Options
    The Tories only selling point is not being led by Jeremy Corbyn. It will work at the next GE, but is not a sustainable pitch.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.
    I love the way Leavers threaten violence if their toys are taken away. I have not Remainers going on riots because they lost.

It says a lot really...
    Why violence? We could just be heading for the rise of an anti-Establishment political force in British politics that would make your skin crawl. Think Farage cubed..... That's what will happen if the democratic choice is circumvented on the sly.
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.

It says a lot really...
    Why violence? We could just be heading for the rise of an anti-Establishment political force in British politics that would make your skin crawl. Think Farage cubed..... That's what will happen if the democratic choice is circumvented on the sly.
    There will be nothing sly about it. The choices will be very stark - No Deal or Remain.

Oh well, time to go and do non-politics things.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Bloody hell, Tiger Woods picked again this afternoon....bloody mental.
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.

It says a lot really...
    I haven’t threatened violence.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.

It says a lot really...
    Leave needed 52% to win the referendum. An anti-establishment party promising to Brexit without a further referendum could win a majority on as little as 35% of the vote, depending where its support was concentrated.
  • Options

More interested in the US TV audiences and sponsors than in winning the cup?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    matt said:

Sure. I get that. However, I don't recall seeing a Conservative or LD stall ever. There are frequent Labour ones round here, as well as leafleting of the train stations every strike day, which is today and seemingly every other day.
    And this is a Tory seat with a Tory council.
    The message may not connect. Most people aren't paying attention, or thinking about politics.
    But at least it is out there.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I'm more interested in not losing even more money.....
  • Options

The Tories only selling point is not being led by Jeremy Corbyn. It will work at the next GE, but is not a sustainable pitch.

From memory you were taken aback by Corbyn's success in 2017. I find it surprising that you feel able to predict with such confidence that 'It will work at the next GE'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Probably, unless the Act which gave the government the ability to declare the notice also gave it the power to withdraw it, which would seem an odd inclusion for what was, IIRC, a very small Act.
    We cannot pass a law saying that the EU have to recognise the withdrawal though.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    dixiedean said:

matt said:

Sure. I get that. However, I don't recall seeing a Conservative or LD stall ever. There are frequent Labour ones round here, as well as leafleting of the train stations every strike day, which is today and seemingly every other day.
    The message may not connect. Most people aren't paying attention, or thinking about politics.
    As local Tories we canvass about once a month (except in summer) and put out an In Touch newsletter about once or twice a year and the LDs put out a Focus once a quarter, Labour do next to nothing here
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.
    The most sustainable Remain solution would be for the EU to outbid May by offering a Remain deal that improves on Cameron’s offer with further mutual concessions on free movement with an admission that both sides got it wrong and both have learnt from the experience.

However, they won’t do that. Because they have zero self awareness, aren’t capable of any form of magnanimity and are only fixated on overplaying their hand.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Your choice.

I would prefer option 1. If there is a party I can vote for that will pursue that, please make it known to me... :(
    I'd prefer option1 as well.

But I see no willingness from British governments, British politicians or the British people to chose that.

So its either option 2 or option 3 or what we've had for the last two decades a combination of both.
  • Options

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.
    The most sustainable Remain solution would be for the EU to outbid May by offering a Remain deal that improves on Cameron’s offer with further mutual concessions on free movement with an admission that both sides got it wrong and both have learnt from the experience.

However, they won’t do that. Because they have zero self awareness, aren’t capable of any form of magnanimity and are only fixated on overplaying their hand.
    To be fair to the EU, their strategy of demanding unconditional surrender is perfectly logical. It worked in Greece, and with the support of much of the UK’s economic, political, media, academic and administrative elites, surely they’ve got a good chance of steamrolling public option here?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

alex. said:

RoyalBlue said:

HYUFD said:

Make no mistake.

It says a lot really...
    Except he never said that did he?

If you think overturning democracy will be good for the country then you are clearly wrong.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Leave needed 52% to win the referendum. An anti-establishment party promising to Brexit without a further referendum could win a majority on as little as 35% of the vote, depending where its support was concentrated.

The other parties would have the same tin ear in response as they had with Brexit. Many of those people who voted in the Referendum but not in general elections did so because they said politicians never listened to them as parties. A Party whose pitch was "we WILL listen to you; we WILL act on what you say" would scare the established parties shitless. Another offer to drain the swamp....
  • Options

alex. said:

Indeed - our politicians have revealed what a bunch of 3rd rate amateurs they really are
    Not only our politicians.

Politicians come and politicians go as governments rise and governments fall.

But what we always have is the gaggle of self-satisfied Sir Humphreys.

And are any of them actually any good ?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

matt said:

As local Tories we canvass about once a month (except in summer) and put out an In Touch newsletter about once or twice a year and the LDs put out a Focus once a quarter, Labour do next to nothing here
    Maybe they need you up in Hexham then. There are Labour stalls every weekend in various towns and villages and at community events. Conservatives nowt.
    Whether it works is another question. But I doubt it harms.
  • Options
    Point and laugh at Man U.....
  • Options
    Excellent article.

The sense of drift from the Tories is terrible.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A bad afternoon for the USA, and tomorrow is looking close to a dead rubber....
  • Options
    We're in a weird dead zone politically. The Tories can't stand Theresa, yet they need her to stay in place to absorb all the toxicity of the inevitably disastrous Brexit resolution. Thereafter it will be Boris, although it's difficult to predict whether there'll be a Tory party left by then.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Sandpit said:

And me shopping in Lidl for Christmas lunch....do they do a knock-off version of Nyetimber and is it any good?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    Could this be Mourinho's last game in charge of United? Starting to look that way.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

And me shopping in Lidl for Christmas lunch....do they do a knock-off version of Nyetimber and is it any good?
    Have you got a spread bet on the USA?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    DavidL said:

Could this be Mourinho's last game in charge of United? Starting to look that way.

I remember at the start of the season, pundits saying that Man U would be top of the table by the end of Otober, as they had such an easy fixture list at the start of the season.....
  • Options

alex. said:

Not only our politicians.

Politicians come and politicians go as governments rise and governments fall.

But what we always have is the gaggle of self-satisfied Sir Humphreys.

And are any of them actually any good ?
    Weirdly, the problem might be not that there are too many Sir Humphreys, but not enough. The rise of the minister-activist and the introduction of SPADS into ministries has reduced the ability of civil servants to ameliorate ministerial stupidity.

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blunders-Our-Governments-Anthony-King/dp/1780742665 , and cross-reference it to this: https://quarterly.blog.gov.uk/2014/07/15/the-blunders-of-our-governments-review-by-sir-david-normington-gcb/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    Mrs M did a large part of what the lead suggested, on the steps of number 10. Her problem is that lack of ideas, drive and political capital to achieve anything by way of solutions.
This discussion has been closed.